╌>

Donald Trump’s Cabinet Is On Track To Be The Least Experienced In Modern History

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jwc2blue  •  8 years ago  •  66 comments

Donald Trump’s Cabinet Is On Track To Be The Least Experienced In Modern History

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trumps-cabinet-is-on-track-to-be-the-least-experienced-in-modern-history_us_5836f133e4b000af95edf18c

The president-elect may believe that’s a good thing. But governance experts are alarmed

President-elect Donald Trump shocked many observers when he  tapped Betsy DeVos to head the Department of Education.

DeVos quickly accepted the nomination, which continues a trend that officials involved in previous transition teams say is concerning because, like many of Trump’s other early picks, she has no previous experience in government.

“When we were in the Obama transition, one of the big concerns we had that there were a lot of people coming into government who did not necessarily have federal government experience,” said Norman Eisen, a former ambassador who worked on President  Barack Obama’s  White House transition team in 2008. “The Trump transition has that problem on steroids.”

Indeed, Trump’s roster of key White House advisers and Cabinet officials could, in the end, rank among the least experienced in recent presidential history.

Steve Bannon , Trump’s chief strategist,  headed right-wing news site Breitbart News before chairing the president-elect’s campaign. Reince Priebus , Trump’s chief of staff, previously ran the Republican National Committee. And Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner , a key presidential campaign strategist who is now being discussed as a White House adviser, ran his family’s real estate business before entering politics. 

None of those individuals has worked in government.

In addition, Trump tapped South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley (R) Wednesday to be his United Nations Ambassador. She has little, if any, official foreign policy experience.

To Trump, who pledged to “drain the swamp” of the nation’s capital, and his allies, this may be a key selling point of his picks. To Eisen, who now works at the Brookings Institution think tank in Washington, D.C., it points to potential problems ― both in the development of policy and in terms of simple governance.

Government is like any other profession ― it requires expertise. Norman Eisen, former Obama transition adviser

“Government is like any other profession ― it requires expertise,” Eisen told The Huffington Post. “I don’t think you’d want that gang, if they had a similar lack of expertise in surgery, operating on you with that level of comparable medical experience. And the same is true in government.”

While DeVos has never worked in a school or agency that dealt directly with education policy, she has served as the chair of the Michigan Republican Party and headed organizations that focus on education reform.

By contrast, Dr.  Ben Carson . ― Trump’s preferred choice to head the Department of Housing and Urban Development ― has no identifiable expertise in housing policy. And he’s never served in government, let alone atop a federal agency. Carson himself has worried that his lack of experience could potentially “ cripple the presidency ” if Trump tapped him to serve in the Cabinet, his senior adviser admitted.

“Unlike Betsy DeVos who at least has some experience with the issue, I think Carson’s experience with the sorts of things that HUD does is very, very top down ― to put it gently. Housing is a very complicated issue for example,” said William Galston, who was previously a policy adviser to former President  Bill Clinton . He now heads governance studies at the Brookings Institution.

Galston suggested that inexperienced Cabinet appointees would likely select more seasoned deputies. He likened it to the chief executive of a company having a chief operating officer with greater knowledge of the nuts and bolts of the business’s operations.

“Frankly, I’m more concerned about what people stand for than I am about their lack of experience,” Galston said. “My assumption is that unless people are really stupid, if they want to move an agenda, then they will pick senior deputies who know how to move agendas through the machinery of government.”

Galston raised concerns, however, about the outsize role that Trump loyalists and family members were likely to play in the incoming administration.

“When you bring in so many friends and family into your inner circle that can easily create a circle the wagons phenomenon,” he said. “That can have the effect of slowing or even discouraging the free flow of information on which every president depends. The last thing any president needs is a palace full of courtiers.”

Other Trump choices are raising eyebrows for reasons other than experience. Trump’s pick for national security adviser, Retired Lt. Gen. Mike Flynn, served as director of the Defense Intelligence Agency for two years. But Flynn was fired in 2014, in part because of concerns over his management style, which one former Pentagon official called “disruptive.”

A figure close to the Trump transition team said he’s concerned about this nomination, because being national security adviser requires a diplomatic style that appears lacking in Flynn.

“What’s worrisome is that the NSC job is a traffic cop job. He should be coordinating policy, not dictating it. Imagine how this will go: Mattis (who outranked Flynn and whom everyone seems to like) disagrees with Flynn. Does Flynn then scream at him or spend time undermining him? Same with Secretary of State Romney,” said the source, referencing Trump’s consideration of former Gen. James Mattis for Secretary of Defense and former Massachusetts Gov.  Mitt Romney  (R) for the top diplomat post.

“And when it come time to brief Trump how does Flynn handle a situation where all of the Cabinet is unified and Trump disagrees?” the adviser added.

Jay Lefkowitz, who advised former President  George W . Bush  on domestic policy and later served as the administration’s special human rights envoy to North Korea, was less concerned about the relative inexperience of Trump’s selections thus far.

Lefkowitz noted that DeVos’ lack of federal government experience made her the ideal pick for an agency “in desperate need of reform.”

“There is a little bit of institutional knowledge ― how things actually work. It actually helps to have been through this a little bit,” Lefkowitz said. “There are some really good people who have been in the White House before and been on the Hill before who I hope he takes a look at.”

“On the other hand, one of his appeals was that he was going to break away from conventional politics and conventional bureaucrats,” Lefkowitz added.

From this perspective, having fresh faces in key posts, he concluded, is “a net positive, not a net negative.”

But Eisen, who noted that Trump is himself inexperienced, as the first president-elect who hasn’t served either in the government or the military, isn’t convinced.

“You have either no experience or the wrong kind of experience,” he said. “That starts at the top, and it’s very troubling.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
link   Old Hermit    8 years ago

We all remember just how well things can go when a President puts the most uninformed and poorly qualified folk in charge.

Image result for “Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job.”

Related image

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    8 years ago

Trump doesn't like photos of his double chin. He specifically mentioned this to the New York Times. Whatever you do definitely dont RT these

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

Do you know anyone who does?   That would seem pretty normal to me.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51    8 years ago

You mean inexperience like this:  http://dailycaller.com/2016/11/25/report-fox-news-security-analyst-tapped-for-deputy-national-sec-advisor/    la de dalaughing dude

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  XXJefferson51   8 years ago

I think Trump is doing pretty good overall.  At least he's not filling those positions with the Communist and Muslim Brotherhood like Obama did.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    8 years ago

I can't think of a worse person for the position of head the Department of Education, than Betsy Davos. She is an anti-public education activist and advocates for a voucher system. On the other hand, she is pro common core, one of the worst disasters to ever happen to the education.  

Thomas Jefferson must be rolling over in his grave. 

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

She is an anti-public education activist and advocates for a voucher system.

Sounds like a glowing endorsement to me !

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Petey Coober   8 years ago

Really? I had no idea you went to private school.

See, the problem with when we want to invoke our founding fathers, we seem to do that selectively. Thomas Jefferson wanted public education, not vouchers Our very first public university was his, and UVA still ranks among the very best. 

She knows nothing about education, just her personal beliefs. I doubt she has even read the quintessential book on public education, "The One Best System".... here is a hint... there isn't one. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

It's possible that Trump wants to maintain the dumbing down of America in order to maintain his dedicated voters.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

Buzz, 

LOL never thought about that. But if you read Jefferson's quotes below, you might have a point. It is certainly not in the best interest for the majority of people. 

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Thomas Jefferson wanted public education, not vouchers

That was quite a long time ago . Black people were still counted to be 3/5 of a white person back then . Jefferson even owned some slaves . Your historical "facts" are fairly irrelevant today ...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal

My historical "facts" (btw.. rather condescending of you, since they are recorded facts.) has to do with why he wanted public education and nothing to do with slavery. The "facts" remain the same today. 

An educated citizenry is a vital requisite for our survival as a free people.

"I know no safe depositary of the ultimate powers of the society but the people themselves; and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from them, but to inform their discretion by education. This is the true corrective of abuses of constitutional power." --Thomas Jefferson to W. Jarvis, 1820. 

And say, finally, whether peace is best preserved by giving energy to the government or information to the people. This last is the most certain and the most legitimate engine of government. Educate and inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them. And it requires no very high degree of education to convince them of this. They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty. --Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, 1787. 

A system of general instruction, which shall reach every description of our citizens from the richest to the poorest, as it was the earliest, so will it be the latest of all the public concerns in which I shall permit myself to take an interest. --Thomas Jefferson to J. Cabell, 1818. 

Above all things I hope the education of the common people will be attended to, convinced that on their good sense we may rely with the most security for the preservation of a due degree of liberty. --Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, 1787. 

And btw.... again, what private school did you go to? As I recall you went to a public school that got you into one of our top universities, as it did for my girls. As I did for my students. It's how I learned so much about our founding fathers. 

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

why he wanted public education

Still a very long time ago . He also wanted to attack the Barbary pirates B4 the country had much of a navy . He was the essence of impractical politics ...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal

Still a very long time ago . He also wanted to attack the Barbary pirates B4 the country had much of a navy . He was the essence of impractical politics 

1. What the heck does that have to do with education. And are you really going to argue with me that an educated citizenry is vital to a republic? And for an impractical man, he made one of the biggest land purchases in our history. 

2.What private school did you go to? 

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

are you really going to argue with me that an educated citizenry is vital to a republic?

Most of the big corporations these days were founded by people who dropped out of college to pursue their vision . Things have changed . For one thing the condition of higher education is a disaster now . History departments have little to no instruction in US history . They are about creating "safe spaces" for their snowflake student body ...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal

are you really going to argue with me that an educated citizenry is vital to a republic?

Most of the big corporations these days were founded by people who dropped out of college to pursue their vision . Things have changed . For one thing the condition of higher education is a disaster now . History departments have little to no instruction in US history . They are about creating "safe spaces" for their snowflake student body ...

Petey, First,you do realize that we are talking about elementary through high school, right? Second, please find me your facts that most big corporations these days were founded by people who dropped out of college to pursue their vision. Third, despite what you think, most kids are not taking up history in college, since the only thing you can do with that degree is teach, or become a lawyer. There are no "snowflakes" at Hopkins and there are no "safe places". Please stop being an advocate for the dummying down of America. 

Oh and you still didn't say if you went to a public school or a private one, which will be the third time I asked you and you avoided it. I know what the truth is, but apparently you don't want to say it, as it might not give you street cred with your Pals. Don't worry, your secret is safe with me. 

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

First,you do realize that we are talking about elementary through high school, right?

They don't teach much US history there either ...

despite what you think, most kids are not taking up history in college, since the only thing you can do with that degree is teach, or become a lawyer.

History is a lot more useful than just taking snowflake social science . Any silly-ass theory can be supported by the social "scientists" . History is far more valuable to someone who wants to enter politics . When a pol doesn't study history you get results like Obama . His ready acceptance of vile dictators like Castro & the Iranian mullahs shows that ...

I'm glad to hear that Hopkins is different from some of the bastions of liberal "thought" elsewhere . But for an example to look at of what I mean look at UC Berkeley ...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Petey Coober   8 years ago

If students prefer to not study history, then Santanyana's statement becomes even more significant, in that those who ignore history are bound to repeat it.  That's a great way to stay stuck in the mud and fail to improve society.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

Buzz,

I agree.

Petey,

Please make up your mind. You first said:

History departments have little to no instruction in US history . They are about creating "safe spaces" for their snowflake student body ...

They are not creating safe spaces for anyone. 

Then you say:

History is a lot more useful than just taking snowflake social science . Any silly-ass theory can be supported by the social "scientists" . History is far more valuable to someone who wants to enter politics .

Which I tend to agree with, but you just dissed History above. 

There is nothing new with our higher education system that there are liberal universities and those that are more geared to technology, the sciences and business. This hasn't changed since you were in school. What has changed is that you would think that this is something new, due to how it is covered in the media. 

Anyway, this article was about public education, as in elementary through high school and vouchers rob a decent education for all, when vouchers are applied. 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

She is not pro common core. 

Q:  There’s been a lot of talk about Common Core. Can you provide some straight talk on this topic?

Certainly. I am not a supporter—period.

I do support h igh standards, strong accountability, and local control. When Governors such as John Engler, Mike Huckabee, and Mike Pence were driving the conversation on voluntary high standards driven by local voices, it all made sense. 

Have organizations that I have been a part of supported Common Core? Of course. But that’s not my position. Sometimes it’s not just students who need to do their homework.

However, along the way, it got turned into a federalized boondoggle.

Above all, I believe every child, no matter their zip code or their parents’ jobs, deserves access to a quality education.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dean Moriarty   8 years ago

Dean,

I checked this out and this is a very new stance. She was a proponent of common core (which sucks). And her stance on the voucher system, is so that parents can send their kids to Christian schools, while draining the public school system. I have a real issue with that, since it violates the separation of church and state, and will benefit some, while harming others. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

I'm not so against common core, but I'm with you on the rest of your concerns.  Shocking, I know.

Common core gets a bad rap because parents weren't trained to think that way.  That doesn't make it a bad thing in my book.  Kids need to be challenged if they want to compete with countries churning out the smartest graduates in the world.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   8 years ago

I'm not so against common core, but I'm with you on the rest of your concerns.  Shocking, I know.

I never knew that there was such a deep divide, Hal. This is news to me. 

Common core gets a bad rap because parents weren't trained to think that way.  That doesn't make it a bad thing in my book.  Kids need to be challenged if they want to compete with countries churning out the smartest graduates in the world.

While I agree that we need to keep competitive with other nations in regards to education, Common Core is incomprehensible, even to educators. It is not the level of standards that it is trying to achieving, but it's methodology, especially in math and the sciences. As an educator, I know that there are far better methods to teach both.

If you are interested, there is a great book on how to teach math, Mathematics; A Good Beginning. I think it would knock your socks off as it breaks math down to a conceptual level, which is why most kids have a hard problem with higher maths. Common core is just another method level, and a very complicated one, which will not help later in higher maths. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide

Obviously not all educators feel that way.  My fiancé is an educator (going on 30 years now), and she is a common core proponent.  She has a ton of friends and coworkers who feel the same way.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal

Obviously not all educators feel that way.  My fiancé is an educator (going on 30 years now), and she is a common core proponent.  She has a ton of friends and coworkers who feel the same way.

OK this is just going to come down to opinions. I have a ton of my teacher friends from the NYC Board of Ed who hate common core's math. It does have some value in reading. I taught till 5 years ago, so it's not like I'm out of the loop on this subject. BTW, my daughters both voluntarily taught inner city school kids in Baltimore in math, and they were shocked at how they didn't get basic concepts. Now I am not going to say that things would go differently in NYC, because in truth, most teachers do not know how to teach math or science, but my point is that common core has not helped. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide

Fair enough.  Personally, I'm not informed enough to make that call, so I defer to my lady.  I do know that math is not a one way street in terms of deriving answers.  Think about the autistic and savants who do crazy math in their heads.  If those mechanisms could be harnessed and taught at some level to the masses, we'd lead the world in math and science.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal

Tru Nuf. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide

I was at a house warming party for a couple of educators  over the summer.  The house was filled with teachers and administrators.  A neighbor couple swung by to introduce themselves.  They were retired and not from the educational field, and honestly they were a bit dense in their conversation.  Most people were trying to avoid getting into a conversation with them, because they were nosey and just plain annoying.

They cornered a math teacher and asked him why common core is a good thing, clearly indicating that they were adamantly opposed to it.  He took a deep breath and gave it his best shot, explaining that most opposition comes as a result of not being trained to think in those terms.  He was very diplomatic about it, and I felt sorry for him having to deal with these rubes.  You could hear in his voice how many times he has had to have that conversation.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   8 years ago

Our education system is a disaster.  We have gutted our educational resources so much I'm not surprised that a cookie cutter curriculum was put in place.  Our teachers are underpaid so we aren't attracting the best people anymore.  Those who have a true desire to teach are so burnt out and defeated that I feel so sorry for them.  One of the only perks left to them is their Union and like many Unions there are good and bad policies. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     8 years ago

Besty Devos record in Michigan with ''for profit schools''

As one of the architects of Detroit’s charter school system, she is partly responsible for what even charter advocates acknowledge is the biggest school reform disaster in the country. At least some of the other candidates for education secretary, like Michelle Rhee, the former District of Columbia schools chancellor, led reforms that were accompanied by improved student results.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

Don't forget that her brother is the founder of Blackwater.   There is a history of massive profit through privatization in this family.  Her position was fully bought and paid for.

Kavika
Professor Principal

Jerry Falwell says that Trump asked him for the position of secretary of education...He states that he turned it down. Praise the Lord....

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

I think I'm about to throw up ...

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Hal A. Lujah   8 years ago

Barf bags available at Trump Tower, Hal.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

LMAO!

Kavika
Professor Principal

From secret sources which I cannot reveal comes this stunning bit of inside information.

Trump to nominate David Vitter as Secretary of Morals....Yes, that David Vitter.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

I heard something from the same secret source you did Kavika. It said that Trump was going to appoint Bernie Madoff Secretary of the Treasury, and Jonathon Pollard the head of the CIA.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

And John Walker as the head of intelligence.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

No, Kavika, that would have been Dubya, although if Trump wanted to be magnanimous and go party-inclusive it could have been the head of the Libertarian Party. His intelligence infected me so much I forgot his name.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

Oh, just pefect...LOL

Your probably thinking of Gary Johnson.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Oh, sorry, I thought you meant cerebral intelligence, not spy-type intelligence. John Walker is dead anyway.