╌>

I swear, I will never sleep with another Canadian!

Category:  Other

Via:  community  •  8 years ago  •  41 comments

I swear, I will never sleep with another Canadian!

IMG_1070.JPG

I would like to introduce all of you to America's newest citizen, my beautiful bride of 30 years, Arlene Hampton.

Congratulations love, I am so proud and happy for you!

Born a Canadian, though living here since before she was one year old, this has been a long and hard decision for her, and was not a small effort to obtain her citizenship (it would be interesting to see how we here on the NTer's would fare on the U.S. history/civics exam alone). The time, effort, and money were all well worth it.

To top it all off we drove down to Minneapolis to stay overnight on Sunday, as the ceremony was Monday morning. We had a hellacious winter storm on Sunday, so our ol' suburban crept along turning a 6 hour drive into a white-knuckled, stressful 10 hour drive. We were thankful for safe travels though as we heard the next day on the way home, that there were over 900 crashes and 400 spin-outs the day before (we believed it 'cause we saw a lot of them with our own eyes!). Phew! 

If any of you ever get a chance to be a guest at a citizenship ceremony I highly suggest doing so,,,,imho every American should experience it at least once. Go see the "melting pot" in action, and observe first hand what has truly and traditionally made America great all along. The day Arlene received her citizenship, she did so beside 63 other Minnesotans from 27 different countries. As big a deal as it was for us, it was quite obvious that for most of the others that received their citizenship, what a stupendous and life altering thing it really was. It was very emotional for many there, and tears of joy and wonder were freely flowing. The gratitude and thankfulness was highly contagious.

Thank all of you for joining me in welcoming and congratulating Arlene on this very special occasion!

:~)

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton    8 years ago

The League of Women Voters had volunteers there at the ceremony, and they walked the new citizens through filling out and turning in voter registration forms. This was their very first job as new citizens, and it was also emphasized how important a duty it is to take part in all aspects of citizenship. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Larry Hampton   8 years ago

In this situation, Larry, America's gain was Canada's loss. 

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

Thank you Buzz; and, I thank you on behalf of your wonderful country, for giving me such a gift!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     8 years ago

Congratulations Arlene, you can now officially drop the ''eh''....

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

Thank you kavika. The "eh" thumbs up  will now be reserved for moments of specific emphasis only.

;^)

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA  replied to  Larry Hampton   8 years ago

Great job Arlene.  Congratulations.  Far as the "eh" goes, it still fits in Northern Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan.  Sometimes even North Dakota, although their favorite speech habit there (particularly during winter) is "Brrrr"  rather than "Eh". 

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  TTGA   8 years ago

Thank you TTGA, and yes you are very correct, "eh" has seeped into Minnesotan verbiage many years  ago for good. Eh.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Larry Hampton   8 years ago

Uffda, yaknow dat's not true, Larry/ttga...yabetcha, I'm from da raynch.

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

Kavika,

A few years back, Northwestern University did a study to find out why the people in the UP talk like they do.  They spent a quarter of a million dollars and determined that it probably had something to do with the Scandinavian ancestry of most of the residents.  What the heck, I'd have told them that for a hundred bucks.

Larry,

The "eh" stays with you forever.  It's just that, after a couple of decades, you accompany it with a cupped hand to the ear.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  TTGA   8 years ago

Where I grew up in northern, and I mean northern Minnesota the number of nationalities was amazing. Italians, Slav's, Finn's, Cousin Jacks, Swede's, French etc etc....All came to work in the iron ore mines..

We had our own native language, in addition to that was a mixture of languages that was called ''English''. Of course this was back in the day, and much of that has changed, but it's always fun to remember.

I would have told them that for $50 ttga...Laugh

There were a couple of words that we all pronounced the same...Hockey and  Lacrosse.

BTW, the coldest temperature ever recorded in MN. was a Tower Sudan, minus 60 degrees. Colder than ND. There's an old saying in MN...''Summer is a Tuesday Afternoon in August''....

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ    8 years ago

Wow and AWESOME!!!  Congratulations Arlene.  :0)

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  PJ   8 years ago

Thank you PJ; it is awesome!

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    8 years ago

Good for her she made it in before the wall goes up. 

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Dean Moriarty   8 years ago

Yeah, Canada started putting the wall up shortly after trump got elected, and soon nobody will be able to get into Canada from it's southern border at all!

;^)

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary    8 years ago

Congrats and welcome to the honor of being a U.S. Citizen.  Though being Canadian is pretty cool too.......

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Spikegary   8 years ago

Thank you spikegary, I agree completely!

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  Larry Hampton   8 years ago

Does she continue as a Dual-Citizen now?  If so, she could sponsor you into becoming a Canadian citizen!  Just in case they build that pesky wall thing.........LOL.....

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Spikegary   8 years ago

Lol; we're gonna keep all of our options open for now....

;^)

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch    8 years ago

Dear Friend Larry Hampton:

Ya'ashir Koach, Kol ha Kavod L'Arlene.

Warmest congratulations on your American citizenship Arlene, The honors go to you today.

Mrs. E. was born in Israel.

I recall vividly the day she became an American citizen.

It is an achievement of which to be proud.

I still sleep with Israeli's, Canadians and Americans.

At my age, about all I can do these days is nap.

Enoch, Copping a Few Mid Day Z's. 

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Enoch   8 years ago

Enoch it is truly an honor for you to bless my wife with those words.

Thank you brother.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Enoch   8 years ago

"I still sleep with Israeli's, Canadians and Americans."

I was never particularly discriminating, although due to geographical demographics I've slept with a lot more Canadians than any other brand. LOL

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    8 years ago

Congrats to Arlene! She looks so happy!

My understanding was that I was present at my mom's swearing in, but I couldn't get a good view from her belly, LOL! 

Well, now it's like a new woman! You'll finally be able to say you've been with an American :)

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

Thanks Perrie, it was indeed a very happy day!

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    8 years ago

To such a lovely lady, congratulations Arlene!!!  You two make such a poster book couple!!!

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  sixpick   8 years ago

Ah, thank you Six; you are too kind!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    8 years ago

Congratulations, Arlene and Larry!  It takes a lot of courage to believe in us right now.  Thank you for reaffirming that we are a great nation, just as Canada is!

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

Thank you Dowsey, my wife is the bravest woman I know!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Larry Hampton   8 years ago

Please give her my love!

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

I will!

Big hugs

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    8 years ago

Sounds like she got in just under the wire - Trump is probably fixin to toss out all the non-Muricans.  

Congrats, and glad you all made it home unscathed.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   8 years ago

Thank you Hal, and yes glad as well we made 'er home safe-n-sound!

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    8 years ago

How exciting, Larry!  Congrats to Arlene.  I've photographed lots of proceedings in court rooms.  Among them have been adoptions, weddings, crime exonerations, and a circumcision.  But I've never shot a citizenship ceremony.  I'll see what I can do to rectify that in the near future. 

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   8 years ago

Thank you Sister it was actually really cool!

We were also pleasantly surprised as well by the setting. My picture doesn't do the courtroom justice. It took place in a big modern building, the federal district court in downtown Minneapolis, all the way on the the fifteenth and top floor. The grand ballroom courtroom! Big windows all on top and it was a very brisk bright winter day (2 below and windy still) so it was a bright, big, beautiful room. really sweet!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   8 years ago

I've photographed lots of proceedings in court rooms.  Among them have been adoptions, weddings, crime exonerations, and a circumcision.

Egads! Did you only take tips?

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

Lol oh heck yeah; that deserves hazard pay!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     8 years ago

When you gotta a Moose you don't need no stinkin' wall.

Facebook-378a93.png

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

Lol, all I have to ride is an old elk!

...but they jump pretty good too!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Larry Hampton   8 years ago

LOL, good one Elk man.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert