╌>

Life After Death

Category:  Religion & Ethics

Via:  johnrussell  •  7 years ago  •  72 comments

Life After Death

Image result for life after death

You die, laying in bed, your last breaths slowing and slipping away. Everything stops.  Then shortly thereafter you feel your "self" rising from your body and entering a plane of undifferentiated consciousness, yet a place where you retain your individuality. A place beyond description. You are dead but you are you. Life after death.

On a scale of 1 to 100, how surprised would you be that had happened ?

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    7 years ago

Which is the bottom and which is the top? Is 1 surprised or is 100?

Whatever it is put me down for not going to happen.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

100 would be you are surprised to have life after death and 1 would be you are not surprised

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

One day when my mother was lying very ill in the hospital I entered her room and sat down next to her and tried to wake her. She was sleeping, I thought. Then after a minute and she didnt respond I shook her shoulders a little . Still nothing. A couple minutes went by and she was not waking up. I started to panic. Then suddenly her eyes opened and she looked right at me and said "I'm dying.  I just saw your father and he is waiting for me."  (My dad had died many years earlier.)  She was dying, although not on that day. That would come about 10 days later.

We have thoughts and expectations about life after death, yet no one knows.  

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    7 years ago

100. But I would be pleasantly surprised.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

As much likelihood as reincarnation, with your new life depending on the life you led - a human, a cockroach, and anything in between. Or else it could be like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day, with you living your same life over and over again.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ    7 years ago

I would be surprised and horrified if I would be conscious enough to remember that my fellow human beings voted in the most corrupt idiot on the planet.... Donald Trump.  PLEASE  - IF THERE IS A GOD - GIVE ME SOME PEACE AND WIPE THAT MEMORY FROM MY CONSCIOUS!!!!!!!!! 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

I wasn't quite expecting that but ........ ok. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

I aim to please.  :0)

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

At least on liberals seeds.   An American political election has nothing to do with life after death issues.  As to the question of surprise at life after death, I'd rate it a 1 on your scale.  The issue is to rise at the 2nd coming, and not the 3rd.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

I find it interesting that had a right-winger made a comment on this article about Hillary Clinton or Obama you would be firing both barrels at them for derailing or being off topic, but since it was a shot at Trump you acquiesced with a smile. You are SO transparent.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

A Trump presidency is a unique factor to consider. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Unique?

Nixon - a criminal

Carter - an idiot

Ford - a fumbler

Clinton - unfaithful

Okay, I guess every POTUS is unique in their own way.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

My father, a very intelligent man and a republican said he thought Jimmy Carter was "probably too intelligent to be president".

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  pat wilson   7 years ago

That was one of Jimmy's problems. I think it was Walter Cronkite who once said that if you asked Jimmy Carter what time it was he would tell you how to build a watch and that the watch would keep perfect time. Laugh

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  pat wilson   7 years ago

Jimmy Carter was "probably too intelligent to be president".

He was also a gentlemen and very civilized unlike the one in there now.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

That's what people said about Ted Bundy too. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

Ya, Carter is sooooooo much like Ted Bundy. Eye roll emoji here.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

A political strain of Tourette's.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

You are obsessed. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

And you're in denial.  Perhaps if we could meet in the middle but since I've been a member here I can only recall one time in which you acquiesced or compromised ( I took a snapshot and kept it because I knew it was rare ).  It's like spotting Santa Claus.  Lol

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson    7 years ago

yet no one knows.  

There ya go.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

My sister's brother in law had a near death experience. He was dead for 7 minutes, in which he said he remembered leaving his body and watching the doctors working on him. Then he took a walk down the hall and watched things happen in other rooms.. Suddenly, he was being drawn back to his body. He was confused and a bit remorseful but then he was alive. 

He told the doctors about this, and a cardiologist came in and said that it is a very common phenom and almost everyone experiences it (except those who try to commit suicide). 

What do I believe. Heck, I don't know. I think we would all like there to be something more to this life, otherwise it does seem rather meaningless, but then again, it doesn't mean it isn't. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

He told the doctors about this, and a cardiologist came in and said that it is a very common phenom and almost everyone experiences it (except those who try to commit suicide).

I was gong to say that I tried to commit suicide(sleeping pills) and I stopped breathing in the ambulance and my heart stopped in the ER, but I didn't experience anything. Of course it could have been that I was drugged out of my mind and crazy drunk too. I don't think suicide has anything to do with it. That would indicate that, no offense, there is some sort of life after death moral issue to trying to kill yourself which is BS. When the last synapse pops in you're brain, you are dead.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Randy,

It could have to do with state of mind. I don't think that it's punishment, though. 

There are some interesting books on the subject. 

Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Near-Death Experience

I read " Life After Life " which was written by a cardiologist. 

I don't know what to think on the subject.. I don't think that this is one thing we can prove. The one thing I know, is that as we learn about the brain, we are not just our brains. There is something more, that makes us who we are. We understand the process of thinking, but what we have no idea about, is why we all react differently to what we think, know and understand. That is untrackable in operative MRI's. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

I can't remember where I read it, but there's a hospital emergency room somewhere where a trauma surgeon had certain items placed in areas that could only be seen if looked at from a point near the ceiling above the tables where patients are worked on - like above cabinets or behind soffits.  The idea is that there were enough near death experiences reported that the doctor could ask the survivor if they saw anything peculiar while they were floating around near the ceiling.  None did.  The experience of being outside your body is no different than being in a dream.  This is perfectly rational when you consider that human senses must be processed through sensory organs.  If you leave your body, you leave those sensory organs as well.  Otherwise, a blind person's near death experience would be highlighted by the sudden ability to see.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Of course, Obama turned out to be one as well 

Maybe not:

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

The Ojibwe belief is that all humans have two souls. One for the present one for later. It's simple for us, why make it some damn complicated.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

I believe that we have one soul and that it is comprised of what we are taught as children of what is right and wrong and how to treat others and what kind of person to be. That is why some people misunderstand me when I accuse a political figure say of having no soul. I don't mean it in the religious sense. That soul is a collection of your life experiences, resides in your brain and grows as you do and dies when you do.

I also believe that, in spite of how they are raised, some people are just born defective. That they really are bad seeds, even as children and that they can not be helped. I have, sadly, seen it when I worked with my wife at a Psychiatric ER in Phoenix. That is at least part of the reason that, according to the FBI there are 25 to 50 active serial killers in the U.S. at any one time. Not all, but many of them were just plain bad seeds from birth.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

So many questions.  How does my supernatural soul see, hear, feel, taste, etc., when those are all functions of sensory organs in the body on the slab looking up at you?  If you are blind in life, do you suddenly see with your supernatural soul?  Can you talk to other souls, without having physical vocal chords, or do you just float around in silence?  When does it end?  Never?  How is that not a total nightmare?

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

Good questions Hal.  But you've overlooked the MOST important one.  Will you be able to have sex again?  What's the point of life after if there's no sex!  hahahaha

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

And that leads to more questions.  If there's sex in the beyond, wouldn't it make sense to kill yourself while your young?  Who wants to spend eternity trying to bang wrinkly old invalids?  If there's no sex in the beyond, then how is it better than this reality?  I'm guessing that clothes don't have souls, so better be prepared to see a lot of nonstop nastiness ... remember, grandma and grandpa are there waiting for you.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

so better be prepared to see a lot of nonstop nastiness ... remember, grandma and grandpa are there waiting for you.

EGADS!  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

If you really want sex after death, convert to Islam and go out and kill some Jews - 72 sexy virgins have been promised to you.

1 laugh.jpg

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Buzz- since your comment was to me I'll respond.   No one is talking about killing anyone and no one has mentioned Jews.  Can you think broader then your anti American views and everyone hates Jews?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

Since you raise the point about being broader, which is something you're good at, there are only SOME aspects of what America has become that I dislike, and of course not EVERYONE hates Jews, but then you wouild know my feelings about that more than most. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

but then you wouild know my feelings about that more than most. 

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.  I don't follow you around and in fact generally try to avoid you altogether.  Not trying to hurt your feelings but we don't mix well.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

Also, like my sister's brother in law, in the cases where the near dead have gone out of the room, they reported back what they saw. When this was cross checked with what was going on with the people in the room, they concurred that the near dead were correct. That is a pretty hard trick to pull off. 

There have been many, many documented cases of this.

And there are other types of phenomena that seem to defy the conventional laws of the Universe/

Is there such a thing as the human spirit-- that lives on after the body dies? Reincarnation?

Psychic ability?

(Even-- telekinesis)

These things have been experienced by some-- for centuries...

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, 
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. 
Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

.  How does my supernatural soul see, hear, feel, taste, etc., when those are all functions of sensory organs in the body on the slab looking up at you?

Here's but a brief introduction to the more common 'extra-sensory" powers (AKA Psychic Abilities):

1. Clairvoyance – clear seeing. This type of psychic sees pictures inside their head with their eyes closed. Unlike mentally ill people, these people have pictures that a basis in fact-- often being a type of "pre-cognition" I.e. being aware of something before it happens).

2. Clairsentience – clear feeling. This type of psychic "feels" something that give them information.

3. Clairaudience – clear hearing. Basically experiencing sounds (which may include speaking) inside your head without using your  ears.

4. Claircognizance – clear knowing. I think this is the most common type. Simply stated: You just "know" something-- without knowing how you know it. (Have you ever heard the phone ring--and just know who it is-- and its someone you haven't spoken to in years. You pick up the phone-- and sure enough its them!

These abilities are often called "psychic abilities" or ESP ("Extra Sensory Perception). As with more usual senses, some people are born with one or more of these amazing abilities. (However, people can be trained to develop these abilities-- in fact I've taken several courses in developping psychic abilities and over time got fairly good at being p[sychic. I later taught a course which had a component re: developing your psychic abilities).

BTW here's a key factor in developping these abilities-- you can develop them without having to understand how they work!

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

There are other similar abilities as well.:

1. Telekinesis: Mind over matter! Really. Using your mental powers to move objects. (I never used to believe it possible but then saw someone do it).

2. Psychic healiong: Using your psychic powers to induce healing.

3. Distant healing: Being able to heal someone fropm distance.

Unfortunately much of what we read about these things are untrue-- but the phenomenoa are real.

Very advanced yogi master in India can do these things. And many people feel the story of Moses parting the sea didn't actually happen-- its only symbolic. An allegory. Or they come up with some possible scientific explanation (such as the water was shallow that time of year, etc). I believe it probably happened.

Also, there's little doubt in my mind that Jesus miracles actually happened-- and in fact, we can learn to do them (but it takes years, and requires some sacrifices in the material world). 

“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do; because I go to the Father.” 

-John 14;12

P.S. I have found conventional religions don't work for me-- but I don't judge others for their religious beliefs. However, I do believe is a sort of "generic" spirituality, and that the miracles described in many religious teaching are indeed real.(I just don't care for the "bureaucracy" part of most religions).

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch    7 years ago

Dear Friend John Russell: Interesting topic.

Fascinating comments.

Good discussion thread.

Peace and Abundant Blessings, Brother in Spirit.

Enoch.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  Enoch   7 years ago

Dear Friend John Russell: Interesting topic.

Fascinating comments.

Good discussion thread.

I totally agree! IMO this has been one of the most interesting discussions we've had in quite a while.

(In fact it was so interesting that most people actually forgot to engage in what is generally the "politically correct" behaviour here (which is personal attacks and other forms of juvenile stupidity!)

Heh :-)

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    7 years ago

We have endeavored for time immemorial to fix a definition to life, and no one has returned from death and revealed it's mystery either. We may all be completely surprised upon death to learn that it, nor life, are in reality anything like we thought. 

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch  replied to  Larry Hampton   7 years ago

Dear Friend Larry Hampton: Agreed and excellent points.

All we can do in this life is do in this life.

Some, me included opine that if we do the best we can with what we have in the here and now, what follows should find us well positioned, whatever that may be.

All the best to you and yours in this spring season of rebirth and renewal.

Enoch.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton  replied to  Enoch   7 years ago

Thanks Enoch, we love Spring!

:~)