╌>

Fox News Originator, Roger Ailes, Is Dead

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  johnrussell  •  7 years ago  •  41 comments

Fox News Originator, Roger Ailes, Is Dead

Z on TV: Roger Ailes' legacy as media visionary overshadowed by predatory culture at Fox News

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/tv/z-on-tv-blog/bs-fe-roger-ailes-legacy-20170518-story.html

Former Fox News CEO Roger Ailes died this morning at 77, the news channel reported.

Roger Ailes , who in founding  Fox News  changed the relationship of TV and politics more than any other media figure in broadcasting history,  is dead at age 77 , his family announced today in a statement to the conservative news site Drudge Report. No cause of death was given.

"I am profoundly sad and heartbroken to report that my husband, Roger Ailes, passed away this morning," his wife, Elizabeth, said in a statement released to the conservative news site Drudge Report. "Roger was a loving husband to me, to his son Zachary, and a loyal friend to many. He was also a patriot, profoundly grateful to live in a country that gave him so much opportunity to work hard, to rise -- and to give back."

Ailes, who was forced out as Fox News chairman in July in the wake of a sexual harassment suit by former Fox anchor Gretchen Carlson, was a towering figure in conservative politics and American media with the network he dubbed “fair and balanced,” despite its obvious right-wing orientation.

Ailes was a media visionary, no doubt about it. But his accomplishments in that regard are likely to be overshadowed, at least in short-term memory, by the predatory culture of sexual harassment he instituted at Fox — a culture that now appears to be destroying the network he built with lawsuits, management shakeups and resignations.

To the end, Ailes has denied all allegations of sexual harassment.

In July, when Ailes was forced out by Fox News, I wrote what was essentially a professional obituary for him, laying out his media legacy.

Here is some of what I wrote:

There are only three other executives in the history of television who are in the same league [as Ailes]:  Ted Turner , who founded CNN, and William Paley and David Sarnoff, who founded CBS and NBC, respectively. The two founders of the broadcasting industry and the cable pioneer Turner were playing with their own money, so we should probably give them extra points for that.

But none of the networks or channels were such a singular extension of their founders' personalities as was Fox — despite the outsized egos of Paley, Sarnoff and Turner. That, too, was both a good and bad thing.

On the plus side, the pugnacious Ailes instilled a scrappiness in Fox that became an absolute we're-No. 1 swagger as its ratings rose. He also established an almost tribal us-against-them mentality that intimidated the competition. This wasn't just television they were making; it was holy warfare on what Ailes saw as a liberal bias in mainstream media.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

You can't deny that his method was effective, he managed to brainwash millions of white middle aged American men into believing "their" country was being taken from them, but his lasting effect is of having poisoned American political discourse to a point almost beyond imagining. 

"Fair and balanced" was a sham, and studies repeatedly showed Fox News viewers were the most ill informed people in America. 

That is Ailes legacy, and it is a shameful one. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

"Roger was a loving husband to me"

Wow, I expected to hear that she murdered him.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

He only murdered her soul. 

Aeonpax
Freshman Silent
link   Aeonpax    7 years ago

I haven't felt this bad since Antonin Scalia kicked the bucket.

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
link   Old Hermit  replied to  Aeonpax   7 years ago

I haven't felt this bad since Antonin Scalia kicked the bucket.

Geee, Aeonpax, pretty durn cold! ( snort : )

giant_elaine792.gif

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Old Hermit   7 years ago

Normally most people try to feel bad when someone dies, out of human courtesy. But there are individuals who make that tough, Ailes would be one of them. 

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
link   Old Hermit  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Normally most people try to feel bad when someone dies, out of human courtesy. But there are individuals who make that tough, Ailes would be one of them.

True enough John.

At least Lee Atwater apologized for the damage his actions had caused America before he died.

Ailes?  Not so much.

Roger Ailes is dead. His scourge will live for decades

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

No tears or sympathy from me. Patoooie!

I just wonder how young the hooker was that was in bed with him at the time?

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

What a terrible comment. Inhuman.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Old Hermit   7 years ago

I'll miss Lemmy more than Ailes.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

Desperately trying to come up with something nice to say, here.  May he rest in peace.  My prayers are with those that loved him.  Just because his goodness wasn't obvious, doesn't mean he didn't have some-- thankfully, I can leave that up to God.  

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
link   Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

lady d sometimes all that can be said is sympathies and condolences to the survivors and family, the old rule of if ya have nothing nice to say then don't say anything . usually a good rule in situations like this because anything negative or bad wont be affecting the dead , they don't give a rip I would bet, but it does affect those left behind that are already morning and is a cheap shot of grave dancing that doesn't affect the object of scorn and distaste.

Not much into grave dancing myself , but I wonder how some that are into it , would feel if someone that dislikes them were to say it would be alright to crap in their mothers caskets for giving birth to anal drips like their offspring?

or suggesting that it be carved on their moms head stone " should have swallowed instead of farted...".

point is the dead wont care , the living will.

and with that, enough of my own premature grave dancing....

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Mark in Wyoming   7 years ago

I think that was what I was trying to do.  winking

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent

and you did so very well.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Mark in Wyoming   7 years ago

Thanks!  I was trying to be nice and give him the benefit of the doubt.  I didn't know the man personally.  I'm sure he had goodness and kindness in him somewhere.  Perhaps towards his family-- after all, they must have loved him!  thumbs up

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Gotta agree with you guys. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

We don't discuss someone like Roger Ailes in terms of his family. There is no reason to. Think of the worst person you know , or can imagine. He/she has a family too. 

It is not inappropriate to tell the truth about this man, even on his death. Think of every bad thing that has happened to the media, news, and politics over the past 20 years and you may find his fingerprint on it. 

No tears from me. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
link   Mark in Wyoming   replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

John , you have already been proven wrong , D , myself and even perrie agree , the families feeling during this period are what does matter , if you wish to correct that "ROYAL " we to I , feel free ,but please consider not everyone follows your prescribed hackery.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Mark in Wyoming   7 years ago

I'm sure Adolf Hitler's mother was a pleasant person.  Who fucking cares.  This isn't about someone's mother, it's about a menace to decent society.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

And Godwin's law applies. I mean let's get real.. you're comparing Ailes to Hitler? Gee must have missed his plan for the master race and genocide. 

I didn't like what he did with his job, but that is what it was.. a job. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

I didn't like what he did with his job, but that is what it was.. a job. 

You are so naive. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

I need to stop commenting on this site. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

I need to stop commenting on this site. 

Please don't. praying

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
link   Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Perrie , I find it rather telling that during the trojan war, Achilles , and the Trojan king could come to an agreement after the death of Hector for a period of morning , with respect , during the time of what was suppose to be the birth of democracy, yet todays self proclaimed democrats  cant fathom it because it doesn't fit an agenda.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

I'm not comparing anyone to Hitler, I'm simply making the observation that one's mother is irrelevant.  You're the one agreeing with Mark, in his statement musing about the likelihood of a grave dancer attacking someone's mother.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

What I am agreeing to with Mark, is that they guy just died and this is an obit. If you want to discuss his effect on news, do it not on an obit, but in a commentary. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

Sick comment lacking any humanity. Typical liberal.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Mark in Wyoming   7 years ago

John , you have already been proven wrong , D , myself and even perrie agree , the families feeling during this period are what does matter , if you wish to correct that "ROYAL " we to I , feel free ,but please consider not everyone follows your prescribed hackery.

I'm not sure the Ailes family is awaiting your words of bereavement.  It is more than common for people to talk about the controversies connected to a celebrity that dies. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent

Way I see it lady d , the kindness and humanity is for his family not him , and that's what separates some people from others .

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Dear Friend Dowser: In Hebrew Scriptural Commentary  there is a passage on-point here.

"Yesh yavoh Yom ha Din, Baruch Dayan Emet".

"There will come a day of judgement, Blessed be the True Judge" (G-D).

I join others in conveying condolences to those suffering a loss, without respect to the character shortcomings and virtues of the one(s) lost. 

Those who are hurting need comforting while they heal.

I see no reason for any exception to providing that when, as, where, and how requested and desired.  

We best serve G-d by serving all whom He created.

Peace and Abundant Blessings Always.

Enoch.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Enoch   7 years ago

Thank you, Enoch.  Thank all of you.  It's not up to me to judge the sum total of a man's character, especially when I don't know it.  For me, it's best left up to God.  His family, and those that loved him, have my sympathy.  He may not have my approval of his business dealings, but I feel sure that he was a kind and loving father and was likely a loving, supportive husband.    

Sometimes, we love the flawed humans even more because we realized that they are doing the best they can, despite their flaws.  winking

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary    7 years ago

I don't watch Fox News, I don't see a lot of difference besides the backwards reflection of a mirror between it and CNN and some other media outlets (none are trustworthy).

I do feel bad for his family, a husband and father gone from their family forever. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

I don't watch Fox News, I don't see a lot of difference besides the backwards reflection of a mirror between it and CNN and some other media outlets

let's hope you watched it at some point before drawing your conclusions

Aeonpax
Freshman Silent
link   Aeonpax    7 years ago

I will not be attending his funeral but I did send the family a nice card saying I approved of it.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ    7 years ago

May his victims feel some peace today.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51    7 years ago

RIP, Roger Ailes.  Sincere Condolences to his family and friends.  

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

RIP.

You can see the true faces of his opposition on this thread. Disgusting.