╌>

US Navy destroyer takes on water after collision off Japanese coast

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  randy  •  7 years ago  •  43 comments

US Navy destroyer takes on water after collision off Japanese coast

damage.jpg

Washington (CNN) A US Navy destroyer is taking on water after colliding with a merchant ship about 56 nautical miles off the coast of Yokosuka, Japan, a US Navy official told CNN on Friday.

The official said emergency procedures have been put in place and the ship is not in danger of sinking at this time.

The USS Fitzgerald requested the assistance from the Japanese Coast Guard after the collision occurred at approximately 2:30 am local time on Saturday.

The damage to the ship is still being evaluated and the number of personnel injured has not been determined, according to the statement.

A US military official told CNN that ship could not operate under its own power after the incident and tug boats have been called to assist.

The Fitzgerald is an Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer with a crew of approximately 330 sailors.

The ship completed $21 million in upgrades and repairs in February and is currently forward-deployed to Yokosuka, Japan, supporting security and stability in the Indo-Asia-Pacific region, the service said.

The White House is tracking the incident, an administration official tells CNN.

This story is breaking and will be updated.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy    7 years ago

Excellent video and news report at the link. It looks like a lot of damage just below and to the side of the bridge.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Randy   7 years ago

First off I hope that all crew are safe. 

The report states that it collided with a Philippine merchant ship. (it wasn't shown in the video) this can mean many things, and depending of what type of merchant ship the size and tonnage can differ greatly. I assume on the info provided that it wasn't a mega container ship or a post panamax vessel. Those vessels are the size of an aircraft carrier and probably would have cut the US Naval vessel in half. 

She can't operate under her own power (dead in the water?) and is taking on water. Not good new at all. 

It's great that the Japanese Coast Guard is there and rendering assistance.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

The video shows she's pumping fast and the report is that she is in no danger of sinking yet, but I agree with Hal, someone is going to be up to their neck in shit about this.

I hope all of her crew is safe and no one is hurt, but it looks like one hell of a hit on the upper side.

Kavika
Professor Principal

I researched the Philippine ships she collided with and it seems that it's the ACX Crystal, a container ship. Roughly 700 feet long, with a 90 foot beam and a DW of 39,565 tons. 

The Fitzgerald is 505 feet long with a 66 foot beam, no DW was given.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

At least she wasn't a monster. 39,000 tons is not that big and she must have been riding high in the water from the looks of how high up she hit the Fitzgerald. Then again the Destroyer is built low and sleek. Still one wonders, even in the middle of the night, how they managed to hit? Only 56 nautical miles off the coast (if that's near where they struck) would suggest busy waters, but still?

Kavika
Professor Principal

That is a very busy shipping area, Randy...

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

She's a monster compared to a Destroyer Randy.  The DWT on a modern Destroyer is between 12,000 and 14,000 Tons.  An old Fletcher Class (DWT of around 8,000) would have been sunk within 30 seconds probably with the loss of all hands.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  TTGA   7 years ago

That's true. My baby brother (well, he's 53 now (but still my little brother!)) served on the USS Guam back in the 80's. It was an Assault ship which was the last of the old Iwo Jima Class. He was on it when it was the Flagship for the Grenada invasion and then when it went to Lebanon. It was 19,000 tons but even it probably would have been crushed because of the old steel.

I keep harping on this story a bit because I can remember how scared my late mother was whenever he was at sea. She was glad when he transferred to the Kennedy to work on it's retrofit so he stayed in Norfolk.

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

My baby brother (well, he's 53 now (but still my little brother!)

Me too guy.  Mine is 64 and I still think of him as (as my mother told me) "your little brother that you have to look out for".  I just was there yesterday for the funeral of his wife, a fine lady who was loved by everyone who knew her.  He is recovering from cancer surgery and chemo, and isn't at his best right now either.  I like to think that we (his friends and family) "and about five really strong joints" have gotten him through the pain.  I do know that, back in 2006, when our mother died and I was a total wreck, he was there for me and, now, I can't do any less for him.

Randy, if you should happen to be in this area around July 22nd, let me know.  A lot of us, who would normally consider you to be one of the enemy, would love to see you if you happen to be in the area, when we are getting together.  Contact me on Private Notes.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Once he's your little brother he's that for life, as I constantly remind him. Our mother died of bone cancer a year go last New Years Eve and Tim was the strong one. She made him the executor because he lives in Michigan and I live in California and he did a fantastic job. Besides he is without a doubt one of the most honest men I have ever met and that's not because he's my brother. He just is. Anyway where do you live and if my travel take me in the area I will stop in to say hi and leave politics behind. :-)

TTGA
Professor Silent

I'm just south of I-96, about halfway between GR and Lansing.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

It'd be nice to get up there. It was 114 today and it's supposed to be 121 on Tuesday. Both in the shade. Bit warm. Only supposed to be about 102 or 103 this time of year. Maybe I can talk the wife into it to get away from the heat? We shall see.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Thank you, Japanese Coast Guard!  I hope everyone is all right and going to survive!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

Someone will get persecuted over this.  There should be no excuse for it in this age.  The sky is crawling with satellites that were put there to keep this from happening.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

It's gotta be tough to make a mistake and then have it displayed for all the world to see. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

I agree. Whoever was on watch at the time is gonna have some 'splainin ta do.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

That applies to both ships - Somebody was sleeping at the radar if not on actual watch. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates

MSNBC has just reported that one sailor was medi-evaced off the ship and seven are "unaccounted for". I'm hoping the "unaccounted for" report turns out to be wrong. My thoughts are with them all.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

From the AP:

TOKYO (AP) -- Seven crew members are missing and one injured after a U.S. Navy destroyer collided early Saturday morning with a merchant ship off the coast of Japan, the country's coast guard reported.

Footage from the Japanese TV network NHK showed heavy damage to the mid-right side of the Navy ship and a person in a stretcher being lifted to a helicopter.

The U.S. 7th Fleet said on its Facebook page that the number of injuries is still being determined.

The Japan Coast Guard said it received an emergency call from a Philippine-registered container ship ACX Crystal around 2:20 a.m. (1720 GMT Friday) that it had collided with the USS Fitzgerald southwest of Yokusuka, Japan.

Coast guard official Takeshi Aikawa said seven crew members are unaccounted for, and one had a head injury. Further details of his or her condition were not known.

Relatives of crew members were awaiting news of their loved ones.

"Of course we're nervous and scared and just praying," Rita Schrimsher said by telephone from Athens, Alabama.

Her grandson Jackson Schrimsher is a 23-year-old sailor aboard the USS Fitzgerald. She said she last communicated with him via Facebook messenger on Wednesday.

The Navy's 7th Fleet said the ship experienced flooding in some areas and is heading back to Yokosuka. The fleet said the Fitzgerald has limited propulsion, and the ship suffered damage on the starboard side below the water line.

Aikawa said the US ship is partially flooded because of damage. So far no damage or injuries have been reported on the container ship, he said. NHK reported that the merchant ship had scratches on the left side of its bow.

The Philippine ship is 29,060 tons and is 222.6 meters (730 feet) long, the coast guard said.

The Navy said that the collision occurred 56 nautical miles southwest of Yokosuka, a city south of Tokyo that is home to the U.S. Navy's 7th Fleet. A U.S. defense official said there is flooding in three compartments of the Fitzgerald.

The fleet said the USS Dewey, medical assistance and two Navy tugs were being dispatched as quickly as possible and that Naval aircraft were being readied to help. The Japan Coast Guard dispatched five patrol ships and an aircraft carrying medics to the site for search and rescue operations.

The Navy's Pacific Fleet said the extent of injuries and damage to the Fitzgerald are being determined, and the incident is under investigation.

---

Associated Press writers Mari Yamaguchi in Tokyo and Cathy Bussewitz and Jennifer Kelleher in Honolulu contributed to this story.

My little Brother was a sailor on the USS Guam during Grenada and off Lebanon and I can only imagine what the families of all of the sailors of the Fitzgerald are going through until they receive word of their loved ones. My thoughts are with them and I am hoping that there is just some sort of terrible miss-count.

Kavika
Professor Principal

Indeed, let's hope that the unaccounted for are safe.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    7 years ago

I admit that I am not the knower of all things nautical, but here is the damage to the bow on the ACX Crystal:

[​IMG]

...and here is the damage to the side of the USS Fitzgerald:

damage.jpg

There are a few media outlets reporting that 'the American ship smashed into the cargo ship'.  Wouldn't these photos suggest that it was the other way around? 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   7 years ago

It looks like the Fitzgerald cut across the bow of the Crystal...

That is just my opinion but that is what it suggests. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates

That's what it looks like to me also. I honestly don't know if a military ship has the automatic right of way as opposed to the smaller vessel yielding to the larger one as it is supposedly more maneuverable. Either way it does look like the Fitzgerald did not yield to the Crystal, considering where the damage is to it.

Also the AP says the Fitzgerald has three flooded compartments. I hate to think of it, but they would seem to be the most likely location of the unaccounted for sailors. I sure hope not.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

From the update:

It wasn't clear yet what caused the nighttime collision between the destroyer and the container ship four times its size. Most of the more than 200 sailors would have been asleep in their berthings, some of which were reportedly flooded.

That last line is what makes me fear the worse for the missing sailors. If a compartment starts to take on a lot of water the water-tight doors close automatically to save the ship and if you are in that compartment there really isn't much hope for you. My little brother told me it's one of the biggest dangers and fears of being a sailor. Still, until they say something definite there is still hope.

TTGA
Professor Silent

OK, this is the fourth time that I've tried to make this comment.  The first two times went down after I hit the wrong button, the fourth was due to a power outage (we have a thunderstorm overhead right now.  I think that what I'm writing might be informative but, who can tell if I can't make it post.

Randy,

Right now, I'm not going to re do a long and involved post until I know that weather conditions make it reasonably certain that I can post it.  I think it will be informative and important, so I will try again tomorrow.  For now, I only have the time to say that, whether it is a military vessel or not has no bearing on whether it has the Right of Way.  What gives Right of Way is the relative positions of the ships at the time of collision and how they approached one another.  I'll try to post more tomorrow.  Sorry about not being able to do so right now, but the lightning has the last word.  I think you'll find it interesting.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

I look forward to it. Watch out for the storm!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   7 years ago

"There are a few media outlets reporting that 'the American ship smashed into the cargo ship'.  Wouldn't these photos suggest that it was the other way around?"

Yes, unless the destroyer was travelling sideways at high speed.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

The person who was med-evaced off the ship was the CO! CDR Bryce Benson.

I wonder if he was the officer of the watch?

Aeonpax
Freshman Silent
link   Aeonpax    7 years ago

The fact that this was caused by a civilian ship that was able to get that close to a US Military vessel, especially in light of the USS Cole incident, is very troubling.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Marine traffic records suggest the ACX Crystal made a sudden U-turn roughly 25 minutes before the collision with the USS Fitzgerald. It is not clear why it changed course.

Marine traffic records suggest it was travelling at 14.6 knots (27km/h) at the time of the collision.

uturn.jpg

uturn1.jpg

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

It looks like the Crystal made a sudden and inexplicable U-Turn 25 minutes before the crash. If this is true then the Fitzgerald may not have been able to get out of the way in time. Still, 25 minutes is a long time, so it would seem that they should have been able to do something.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

There will be a lot of speculation on this, and the US Navy will be doing a very intensive investigation. At some point we'll find out what caused this crash.

Hopefully they will find the missing sailors, soon.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Sadly, since the crash was into two of the berthing compartments in the middle of the night which flooded, I have a feeling they will find the missing sailors and that it won't be pleasant. Still, at least it would be better then having them lost at sea. A small condolence for the families, but something anyway.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Bodies of 7 Missing U.S. Sailors Found in Destroyer Damaged in Collision

As feared the bodies of all of the seven missing sailors were found in the flooded berthing compartments. It's a small consolation that at least their families and loved ones will be able to conduct decent funerals for these heroes and they were not lost at sea. My thoughts are with their families and friends at this difficult time and may they all rest in peace.

Kavika
Professor Principal

RIP

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

That is a sad end to this. Bad enough to lose their life in battle, to have it happen in an accident on a warship makes the deaths a little more incomprehensible. 

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear this!  May God bless their families and friends!

Randy
Sophomore Participates

I am curious about something. I know that the U.S. Navy will conduct it's own investigation, but this happened between a U.S. flagged military ship and a Filipino flagged ship that has been contracted by the Japanese in Japanese waters. So what sea court has jurisdiction in deciding guilt? The Japanese? Obviously there will be a tribunal of some type to establish guilt for the deaths of the sailors and possible criminal charges. Seven sailors are dead and their families are going to want to point the finger at someone. Then there are the insurance costs. The damage to the Destroyer is extensive and will be costly.

If this had happened in international waters I know there is some type of international court that handles these cases, but it was not in international waters.

Kavika
Professor Principal

It is going to depend on where the accident happened, intl water or Japanese territorial waters. Generally this would fall under ''Admiralty Law'' not to be confused with the ''Law of the High Seas''...

It's a very very specialized part of the law and has international ramifications. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates

I assume there is a treaty or treaties of some type to which we are signatories. This actually could be a learning experience.

Kavika
Professor Principal

When the investigations are complete and blame is assigned a settlement will be arranged, IMO. 

There are no treaties between the US and the Philippines covering anything like this, Randy.

What is perplexing is from what I've read about the ship is that it is one of the most advanced ships in the world with all of it's state of the art radar/sensors etc. How in the world it didn't pick up on the Crystal is strange.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

It's just plain bizarre. If it was the Filipino ships fault then I don't know what can be done as far as justice or compensation, even though it's contracted to work for Japan. If it was the Fitzgerald and the Commander was asleep and and some Lt Jg was on watch and screwed up his or her career is over and he or she may be facing serious time in the brig. I just hope the families get the compensation they deserve.

Kavika
Professor Principal

I guess the one thing we can be thankful for is that the container ship was what we call a local or coastal runner. She was not one of the Trans Pacific  or panamax container ships. They are the or bigger than an aircraft carrier. The newest of these Panamax EEE series are 1312 ft long a beam of 194 ft, 165,000 DWT and can carry up to 19,000 containers. 

These ships were just being launched when I retired. Now there is another generation that are even a bit larger. 

Anyhow, it is a sad time for the Navy and the families of those lost.