╌>

MARK'S GOSPEL Facebook billionaire Mark Zuckerberg says his social network is ‘the new church’ in creepy speech comparing his site to religion

Category:  Now Trending

Via:  community  •  7 years ago  •  11 comments

MARK'S GOSPEL  Facebook billionaire Mark Zuckerberg says his social network is ‘the new church’ in creepy speech comparing his site to religion

MARK'S GOSPEL  Facebook billionaire Mark Zuckerberg says his social network is ‘the new church’ in creepy speech comparing his site to religion

Tech mogul says social media communities can fill the gap once occupied by organised religion

By Felix Allen, The Sun, June 29 2017

Zuker 1.jpg
MARK Zuckerberg has claimed Facebook is “the new church” and the social network can take on the role that religion once did in giving people a sense of community.

The billionaire boss said groups on Facebook could give people a sense they are part of “something bigger than ourselves” akin to a religious congregation.

Mark Zuckeberg says Facebook is the ‘new church’ and can take the place of organised religion

Facebook passed two billion users this week – meaning almost one in three of the global population are signed up.

And its founder said people could find “purpose and support” online that previous generations found in real life by going to church.

Mr Zuckerberg has recently been pushing the idea of communities as Facebook’s new mission and last week said it would be the company’s focus from now on.

In a speech in Chicago he said only 100 million Facebook users are part of what he called a “meaningful community”.

This meant they were part of a group on Facebook that involved regular interactions with other people.

Zuckerberg said he wanted the 100 million figure to rise to one billion.

He said: “If we can do this, it will not only turn around the whole decline in community membership we’ve seen for decades, it will start to strengthen our social fabric and bring the world closer together.

“As I’ve travelled around and learned about different places, one theme is clear: every great community has great leaders.

“Think about it. A church doesn’t just come together.

“It has a pastor who cares for the well-being of their congregation, makes sure they have food and shelter.

“Leaders set the culture, inspire us, give us a safety net, and look out for us.”

Zuckerberg has denied he has ambitions to run for President but he recently went on a week-long listening tour of America that looked like a political campaign.

In a recent interview with CNN he said connecting people is not enough and that Facebook has a responsibility to manage its communities.

Last week Facebook teamed up with the husband of murdered MP Jo Cox for a new plan to tackle hate speech and extremism.

And researchers say social media like Facebook and Twitter could be used to predict the future.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

Is there anyone who doesn't see how Orwellian this is?  Think of the WORLD reach that this man has.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

I find it hard to believe that nobody has made any comment as to what this could be the birth of.  I guess everyone is so (enthralled or disgusted - choose one) with Trump they don't see the danger of what's possible with this.  Just watch the movie about Zukerberg to see how ruthless he is.

He has the means, the money and the power to go so much further than L. Ron Hubbard did.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson    7 years ago

he said connecting people is not enough and that Facebook has a responsibility to manage its communities.

That is particularly creepy.

I go to FB to connect with friends and relatives but FB is so intrusive its become offensive. Constantly pasting my feed with "suggested articles", "people you may know", and all sorts of ads. Ugh !

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch    7 years ago

Dear Friend Buzz: Not a religion.

Not a bad gig.

Not a religion.

Enoch, With a Great Religion, In Search of A Billionaire's Gig.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

Pretty sick, isn't it?  

Narcissism doesn't end with Trump.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

This country has been getting dumbed down by the minute with the advent of social media.  It only makes sense that it evolve into a religion.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

I am not a fan of Zuckerberg , and barely use Facebook, but I think detractors are exaggerating what he was saying. I saw the video, and I don't think he is claiming there is a religious aspect to Facebook. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

So you are saying this is conjecture by the author of the article?

"Mark Zuckeberg says Facebook is the ‘new church’ and can take the place of organised religion"

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

I think he is saying Facebook can play a social role that churches and religion did,  not a religious or theological role. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

It seems to me that the "social role" Facebook can play is not so different from the "social role" that Scientology or Transcendental Meditation play or have played.  You cannot discount the world-wide control of the "social role" that he has that the others did not have and what it could lead to, especially for a person who has in the past established himself as ruthless.