╌>

OL Glory

Category:  Photography & Art

By:  americarepublic  •  6 years ago  •  78 comments

OL Glory

IMG_9238[1].JPG.jpg

I always have had a knack for a bit of poetry.  I started when i began long ago getting involved in politics.  My patriotism for this country has sky rocketed for several reasons, but i will not get into it here.  I wrote this poem this past year with all the burning of the flag, not standing for the anthem etc.  I hope you all enjoy.

Thanks,

AR

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

AmericaRepublic
Freshman Quiet
1  author  AmericaRepublic    6 years ago

Ol Glory...

I've been walked on and spit on so many times, this is the path I've taken from America that's mine...

I like my colors; the red, white and blue, I stand for freedom and everything that is true..

People take me for granted and forget where I was made, on the battlefields of soldiers and sometimes i end up on their graves...

No matter how bad it gets you can always look up to me, I represent every American living for the dream...

All I ask in return is a little respect, say your pledge, stand for the anthem, and never forget...

AR

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.1  Jasper2529  replied to  AmericaRepublic @1    6 years ago

Well said, America Republic!

AmericaRepublic
Freshman Quiet
1.1.1  author  AmericaRepublic  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.1    6 years ago

Thanks Jasper i appreciate it!

AR

OldUSAFGuy
Freshman Silent
1.1.2  OldUSAFGuy  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.1    6 years ago

Second That!

AmericaRepublic
Freshman Quiet
1.1.3  author  AmericaRepublic  replied to  OldUSAFGuy @1.1.2    6 years ago

Thanks Appreciate it🇺🇸🇺🇸

AR

lady in black
Professor Quiet
1.2  lady in black  replied to  AmericaRepublic @1    6 years ago

Beautiful

AmericaRepublic
Freshman Quiet
1.2.1  author  AmericaRepublic  replied to  lady in black @1.2    6 years ago

thanks Lady😊🇺🇸🇺🇸

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.4  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  AmericaRepublic @1    6 years ago

I love the poem AR it is something that I have seen in my minds eye many times.

I also have to add that we have to remember that those who disrespect Ol' Glory have that right under the First Amendment, no matter how much we might hate it, it is still a part of being an American.

AmericaRepublic
Freshman Quiet
1.4.1  author  AmericaRepublic  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1.4    6 years ago

Thanks Galen I appreciate it and cheers to the addition- first amendment and truly the entire constitution for that matter.

AR

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.4.2  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  AmericaRepublic @1.4.1    6 years ago

Thanks AR, I was afraid I was stepping out of place with it but, it is something I think we forget at times.

AmericaRepublic
Freshman Quiet
1.4.3  author  AmericaRepublic  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1.4.2    6 years ago

It’s being forgotten more and more, getting worse by the day.... no worries 

AR

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
1.4.4  Sunshine  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1.4    6 years ago

There are many forms of free speech we must remember.  Because of our 1st Amendment we can express our disgust at those who disrespect the nations flag.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1.4.5  Spikegary  replied to  Sunshine @1.4.4    6 years ago

I've said many times, that My career in the service was to make sure people had their right to burn the flag, to say their piece, as long as they remember that I also have the freedom of speech to tell them exactly how stupid I think that 'speech' might be.  It's a 2 way street.  Recall the Dixie Chicks.  They used their Freedom of Speech to make a statement, then they were offended that people exercised their rights by not listening to them, buying their music, etc.  It's a 2 way street.

AR, nicely done. 

AmericaRepublic
Freshman Quiet
1.4.6  author  AmericaRepublic  replied to  Spikegary @1.4.5    6 years ago

Thanks Spike indeed.. we have that right no matter what they do.  

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
3  Sunshine    6 years ago

I did enjoy it.  Very heartfelt AR.

AmericaRepublic
Freshman Quiet
3.1  author  AmericaRepublic  replied to  Sunshine @3    6 years ago

Thanks sunshine I appreciate it 😊

AR

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.1.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  AmericaRepublic @3.1    6 years ago

I'm a little out of place commenting here, but I also did enjoy it

AmericaRepublic
Freshman Quiet
3.1.2  author  AmericaRepublic  replied to  igknorantzrulz @3.1.1    6 years ago

Hey thanks David no problems... it’s a bit of break for me away from the chaos..appreciate it.

AR

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.1.3  igknorantzrulz  replied to  AmericaRepublic @3.1.2    6 years ago
away from the chaos..

I hear that

I saw you mention you were adjusting to this place, or at least trying to,

I feel your pain, I joined a week and a half ago,  but was formerly on Newsvine

AmericaRepublic
Freshman Quiet
3.1.4  author  AmericaRepublic  replied to  igknorantzrulz @3.1.3    6 years ago

Same here... but I created my account like five years ago as a backup to go to.... I’m just now trying to get back into it.  I couldn’t get used to that beta move newsvine went too either but the tracker made it handy ... .. when I got an account here five years ago this place was jumping.  Was thinking about that today plus they an open public chat that constantly was going anyone could jump in on.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

I share your feelings about your flag and your anthem even though I'm a Canadian.

AmericaRepublic
Freshman Quiet
4.1  author  AmericaRepublic  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    6 years ago

Hey thanks Buzz appreciate that... patriotism shares her strife no matter what side of the border..

lady in black
Professor Quiet
4.2  lady in black  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    6 years ago

O Canada, you are my neighbor to the north....Crystal Beach, Clifton Hill, Stony Lake.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  lady in black @4.2    6 years ago

Wow! Lady!  I spent lots of teenage summer vacation time at Crystal Beach, making friends with the kids from Buffalo.  I grew up in Hamilton, just about 3/4 an hour's drive away. It's been at least 60 years since I was there. I understand the famous roller coaster has been demolished. Is the Cronfelt's Loganberry stand still there? 

As for Stony Lake, in the Kawartha Lakes District, I caught my first Muskie in that lake.  My dad took me and a couple of his employees there.  We had an all day fishing guide with a boat, and I can still remember how delicious the shore lunch of fried freshly caught fish was.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
4.2.2  lady in black  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.2.1    6 years ago

My aunt and uncle had a cottage in Crystal Beach, right next door to the Palmwood Hotel.  

My extended family went every summer to Irwin Inn on Stony Lake from 1964-1980, that's where I learned to water ski and of course fish.  

The Cyclone from Crystal Beach is the one that was demolished (never went on it before my time), the Comet was relocated somewhere in Lake George.

No idea about the loganberry stand, haven't been up there in many years as my cousin who inherited the cottage sold it years ago.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  lady in black @4.2.2    6 years ago

Did you live in Buffalo, or around there? Most of the Americans who came to Crystal Beach were from there.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
4.2.4  lady in black  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.2.3    6 years ago

Yes I live in the Buffalo area. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  lady in black @4.2.4    6 years ago

It's been many years since I was there. At one time I dated a Buffalo girl whose father owned a funeral home there. I've been to the Albright Art Gallery a few times, took my family once to a minor league baseball game there so we could have the experience of sitting in a real baseball stadium (the Skydome in Toronto is very convenient if it rains, but it's not good old historical baseball), and the last time I was there was to eat Duff's Buffalo wings.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
4.2.7  lady in black  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.2.5    6 years ago

Love Duffs wings!

lady in black
Professor Quiet
4.2.8  lady in black  replied to    6 years ago

Darien Lake is the only amusement park where bands play that is close to Buffalo.  There are many beautiful places in New York State, most people think New York City is all there is to New York State. Happy

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2.9  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  lady in black @4.2.4    6 years ago

You'll get a laugh out of this one.  When I was a little kid, my mother used to dress up in old throwaway clothes, take the bus to Buffalo where the prices were better and the clothes more stylish, buy a whole new outfit and sew Canadian labels (that she had taken with her) into them, and then go back home the same day. They can't charge her with a customs offence now, she passed away many years ago.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
4.2.10  lady in black  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.2.9    6 years ago

So your mom started that trend, Canadians still do that lol....not sure if they sew the labels in them, but the garbage cans at the malls etc. would be overflowing with old clothes and the packaging from the new clothes.

My condolences on the passing of your mom.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
4.2.12  Spikegary  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.2.9    6 years ago

All of my step-kids worked at one time or another at the Niagara Falls Fashion Outlet Mall, one of the continuing biggest problems they had, was at night, the parking liot would be full of discarded clothes.  Canadians would come in their raggedy oldest, buy clothes, change into them in the parking lot so they didn't have to pay duty on them crossing back over the border and leave the old ones there in the parking lot.....Security would have to go clean it all up after closing.  They have since brought in Salvation Army donation dumpsters for those clothes.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2.13  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Spikegary @4.2.12    6 years ago

It's a Canadian tradition - my mom was doing it at least 75 years ago. I'll bet the Fashion Mall sells more stuff to Canadians than it does to Americans. The Canadian customs officers HAD to have known it was happening, when they saw a bus load of women all wearing new clothes, new shoes, carrying new purses. LOL  The price of gas was cheaper in the USA than Canada, so everyone driving over the border did so with their tanks almost empty so they could fill up there.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
4.2.14  Spikegary  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.2.13    6 years ago

Most of the time, especially during the holiday shopping season, the lot is full of those Blue Lettered (or black) white plates......

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
5  igknorantzrulz    6 years ago

ever thought why a thought should never have to be bought,

cause ways

over

frozen liquid

bridge gaps further

than say, that , that would ignite a spark

to ignite my rockets flight     to a Star

spangled on a banner

;

I quit, just seeing if I could link and bridge ice to spark plugs to rockets fire

now lost my desire

you fellows do N Joy though   Piece out

AmericaRepublic
Freshman Quiet
5.1  author  AmericaRepublic  replied to  igknorantzrulz @5    6 years ago

Hey you was on a roll lol

AmericaRepublic
Freshman Quiet
5.1.1  author  AmericaRepublic  replied to  AmericaRepublic @5.1    6 years ago

Lol thanks David nice lol

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
5.1.2  igknorantzrulz  replied to  AmericaRepublic @5.1    6 years ago

I roll like a flat Hard rock  café racer

AmericaRepublic
Freshman Quiet
5.1.3  author  AmericaRepublic  replied to  igknorantzrulz @5.1.2    6 years ago

Lol

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
6  Raven Wing    6 years ago

Totally inspiring and Spiritually uplifting. Thank you for sharing your beautiful thoughts and words with us. (smile)

AmericaRepublic
Freshman Quiet
6.1  author  AmericaRepublic  replied to  Raven Wing @6    6 years ago

😊thanks Raven my pleasure... appreciate it

AR

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
6.2  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Raven Wing @6    6 years ago

I MUST give inspirational rights where due.

Raven has helped me adapt to this site unseen as I'm not I T without an ido in front.

I had written a post to she, inspired by thee, where as causeways bridged icy labyrinths, so I must list her on my bibliography

Thank YoU RAven  for all of your help, and of course all those warm smiles      all right, I'm really out now, and now I've lost all my street cred   as F I had any with so many HA   OUT 

AmericaRepublic
Freshman Quiet
8  author  AmericaRepublic    6 years ago

Appreciate everyone’s comments glad you all liked it.  Got some more stored away for a later day.  Feel free to share or copy.  I usually put them on a meme for people to post.

AR

Enoch
Masters Quiet
9  Enoch    6 years ago

Dear Friend AR: You always did have a way with words. 

This is a great example.

America was, is and remains a great place to live.

Good work, my brother.

Enoch.

AmericaRepublic
Freshman Quiet
9.1  author  AmericaRepublic  replied to  Enoch @9    6 years ago

Thanks Enoch I appreciate it my friend.

AR

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
10  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

Great Poem AR. 

Very moving and captures the American spirit. 

AmericaRepublic
Freshman Quiet
10.1  author  AmericaRepublic  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @10    6 years ago

Thanks Perrie😊

luther28
Sophomore Silent
11  luther28    6 years ago

Very nicely written

AmericaRepublic
Freshman Quiet
11.1  author  AmericaRepublic  replied to  luther28 @11    6 years ago

Appreciate it Luther 🇺🇸🇺🇸

AR