╌>

The Omega Man: A Prophetic Cautionary Tale

Category:  History & Sociology

By:  perrie-halpern  •  4 years ago  •  86 comments

The Omega Man: A Prophetic Cautionary Tale
[Hearing the infected "Family" loudly holding a book-burning revel] At it again, I see? What will it be tonight? Museum of Science? Some library? Poor miserable bastards.

Robert Neville (Charlton Heston), finding other semi-immune people. 

The 1970s produced three prophetic science fiction films, Planet of the Apes, Soylent Green, and The Omega Man. Each showed a possible outcome for mankind based on known human behavior and events of the time. Planet of the Apes showed us a world now dominated by another species after mankind’s annihilation from atomic warfare. Soylent Green gave us a world so ruined by overpopulation and neglect of the environment, that it left us with an unthinkable outcome of eating our own. And then there was the Omega Man.

The Omega Man was based on sci-fi writer Richard Matheson, “I am Legend” and while there are three versions of this story on film, “Last Man on Earth” (1964), “The Omega Man” (1971) and “I am Legend” (2007), over the years it is “The Omega Man” that still resonates the most with people, as demonstrated by the commentary on "YouTube". 

Unlike the other versions of the story, this one is the most realistic about germ warfare and pandemics and has stood the test of time despite the very 70’s flavor of the film. The story starts with a war raging on between China and Russia. An American Army scientist, Robert Neville is working on a vaccine for the probable pandemic cause when the US bombed a Chinese missile carrying a disease they developed. The failed attempt left the world now exposed to the disease. The infection spreads very quickly. Hospitals become overwhelmed. The level of infection varied; most died very quickly, some had a level of immunity, others became sick which led to sun sensitivity syndrome which left them as night dwellers. Robert Neville, is the only man fully immune, after inoculating himself during the pandemic. If this all sounds kind of familiar, well how could it not?

This film along with others have become popular watching during the current pandemic. This all sounds rather counter initiative. Instead of trying to get away from the pressure that comes with a pandemic, they actually choose to watch another pandemic unfold.

And what is even stranger, is that people can watch this movie and not take it as the timely cautionary tale. We should be and learn from it and see what is predicted. The virus in the movie although nastier than COVID19, still showed how it affected people differently, killing some while others present with strange unseen syndromes. The lab in Wuhan, China possibly creating this virus; News reports that hospitals have become overwhelmed. States of Emergency were declared, protested, and ignored. The rush for a vaccine and treatments with antibodies.  All of this is in the Omega Man. 

On a sociological level, it is even more prophetic. The living ill, have decided that science is not to be trusted. They are focused on killing Nevel, the only scientist left alive, even if he can cure them. The idea that the disease will not kill them but bring herd immunity. It is almost shocking that Richard Matheson, so many years ago, got it so spot on. How can we not draw parallels to it? Yet, we see people still making the same mistakes. It is remarkable that we can be so blind.

Hopefully, most of us will make it in time until a vaccine is developed. But will we learn from this experience or will we live to become part of a different sci-fi movie? We are looking ripe for Soylent Green.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1  Trout Giggles    4 years ago

Like I needed any more fodder for nightmares

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @1    4 years ago

It's a great movie Trout. I think I might watch it tonight. 

I recently read an interview with Tim Burton who said that this was his all-time favorite movie. 

Here is an interview with him talking about the movie: 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1    4 years ago

I will watch it if it's on Netflix, Hulu, or TCM. I'll look for it. I've never seen it but I did watch "I am Legend" with Will Smith

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.2  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.1    4 years ago

It's more dated than "I am Legend," but the germ warfare aspect and how it all played out is the interesting part of the story. Also, unlike the monsters of, "I am Legend", the sick in the Omega Man, are more human and actually are relatable. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.2    4 years ago

It sounds like a better movie. I'm not all that keen on monster movies. Tho I did cry when Will Smith's dog had to die

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.4  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.3    4 years ago

I got choked up then too. I love sheps and that dog had such an expressive face. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.6  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Release The Kraken @1.1.5    4 years ago

Awww.. poor pup. Hey, I think we have the same couch.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.8  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Release The Kraken @1.1.7    4 years ago

No, Macy's shaped like an L, same color same style.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago

Another little fun fact about this movie. It was the first interracial kiss in an American film, although it had been already done by Star Trek in 1968. 

Here is Whoopy Goldberg discussing it with Charlton Heston. Watch till the very end for a laugh. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    4 years ago

Whats next for humanity?  Night Of The Living Dead? 

Charlton Heston was a jerk as a human being as time went on, but he sure was in some thought provoking movies. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @3    4 years ago

John, you are wrong about Charlton Heston. Although later in his life he became a conservative, he spent the bulk of the first part of his life, fighting for civil rights. He has issues with George McGovern that sent him over the edge, politically, but he still spent a lot of time on civil rights issues. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1    4 years ago

May 2, 1999

DENVER -- As 8,000 anti-gun demonstrators -- rallied by the anguished pleas of the father of a slain Columbine High School student -- marched in protest, the National Rifle Association held a scaled-back meeting here yesterday.

But although the group's members were outnumbered nearly 4-to-1 by the protesters, the mood among NRA members meeting in a basement ballroom was exuberantly defiant.

"Each horrible act can't become an ax for opportunists to cleave the very Bill of Rights that binds us," NRA President Charlton Heston told a cheering overflow crowd, many wearing blue-and-silver Columbine memorial ribbons fastened with NRA buttons.

Following the shootings April 20 at the school in suburban Littleton, in which two students killed 13 people before committing suicide, Denver Mayor Wellington Webb repeatedly asked the group to cancel its annual meeting. Instead, it cut back its schedule from three days to one and canceled exhibits.

"What saddens me most [about Webb's request]," Heston said after the group held a moment of silence for the Columbine victims, "is how that suggests complicity. It implies that 80 million honest gun owners are somehow to blame that you and I should not be as shocked and horrified as everyone else."

About the time Heston, a prominent Hollywood actor, was stepping to the podium, demonstrators gathered on the steps of the state Capitol a few blocks away to denounce the NRA's decision to follow through with its convention when -- as one clergyman said -- "the dust from the graves of our children has not even settled."

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.1    4 years ago

Charlton Heston's NRA held a convention, 11 days after Columbine, in the same city where the massacre had taken place. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.3  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.2    4 years ago

John,

That is well documented but a person is the summation of their life, and while I disagree on what he did there, he also embraced many liberal causes. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.3    4 years ago

I believe he was starting to feel the effects of Alzheimer's, also, right about this time

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.5  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.4    4 years ago

That is when he was dxed and that means he had it long before then. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.5    4 years ago

I thought so. You have to forgive a person for what they do when they're ill with Alzheimers

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.7  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.6    4 years ago

I agree Trout. He did much good work earlier on. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.8  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.3    4 years ago
Charlton Heston was a jerk as a human being as time went on

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.9  Sparty On  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.3    4 years ago

Not everyone see's that act as especially heinous or as an indication of a mental health issue.

Neither are that rational of a thought really.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.11  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.9    4 years ago

I'm not saying it was. He had a huge turn around though in the 80's. It is unclear why.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.12  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Release The Kraken @3.1.10    4 years ago

I know there is help for you out there. You can also download their music so you won't eat it this time. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.13  Sparty On  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.11    4 years ago

Yeah, i'm not saying you did.

Like many, that change can come with age.  

He and Reagan were pretty simpatico in that regard

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.14  Sparty On  replied to  Release The Kraken @3.1.10    4 years ago

Well .... i have no idea WHAT you were thinking ......

GregTx
PhD Guide
3.1.15  GregTx  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.9    4 years ago

Indeed, perhaps he was just passionate about individual rights over the course of his lifetime.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.17  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.13    4 years ago

Reagan changed as a much younger man. He was influenced by his father in law. Heston was getting up there when he changed. But he was friends with Reagen for sure.

I'm never really sure what causes people to have such big changes in their lives. I have held almost the same beliefs most of my life. Some discussions here have made me change my mind about things but fundamentally I am the same Perrie I was when I was in my 20's.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.18  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  GregTx @3.1.15    4 years ago

I think he was passionate about it his whole life, but expressed it in different ways. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.19  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Release The Kraken @3.1.16    4 years ago

But they give you good drugs before the shock! 

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.20  Ender  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.7    4 years ago

I always considered him one of the old school, over-actors.

Beats Eastwood and his empty chair.

GregTx
PhD Guide
3.1.21  GregTx  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.18    4 years ago

Absolutely, we all do don't we?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.22  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ender @3.1.20    4 years ago

I love Clint. He still makes great films. Just watched J Edger. Perfect timing for such a film. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.23  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  GregTx @3.1.21    4 years ago

LOL true enough!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4  Sparty On    4 years ago

The Omega Man scared the shit out of me back in the day.

The other ones not so much.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sparty On @4    4 years ago

Same here and my whole family. It was because the possibility was there at the time. Now supposedly all the world countries have signed on to not using germ warfare, so now we only have "defensive labs", LOL. 16 countries plus Taiwan have these labs. Here is the list:

What Countries Have Them?

Only 16 countries plus Taiwan have had or are currently suspected of having biological weapons programs: Canada, China, Cuba, France, Germany, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Japan, Libya, North Korea, Russia, South Africa, Syria, the United Kingdom and the United States.  

There is widespread consensus against the possession and use of biological weapons. Most countries are party to the  Biological and Toxin Weapon Convention , but there is no way to know whether countries are complying with their commitments.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1    4 years ago

"defensive labs"

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.2  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.1    4 years ago

Yeah, I know. Don't you feel safer now? I know that I do...... not. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.2    4 years ago

Of course I don't. Don't forget I was a member of the Armed Services. I don't trust anything that they do at Fort Detrick.

If it can be fucked up trust the Armed Services to fuck it up royally

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.4  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.3    4 years ago

We should all feel comforted right now, LOL!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.4    4 years ago

Where do you think the term FUBAR came from?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.6  Sparty On  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.5    4 years ago

Or it’s precursor SNAFU

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.7  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.6    4 years ago

LOL guys!

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5  Split Personality    4 years ago

Wife let CH share an elevator in Century City across from the Play Boy Club back in the 70's.

She described him as cold & ignorant, full of himself, hasn't been a fan since.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Split Personality @5    4 years ago

Well, I can't talk about him as a person. Not someone I ever met.

Now Christopher Walken gave me a kiss on the lips! I would call him friendly. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1.2  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Release The Kraken @5.1.1    4 years ago

That would have to be a dream..... where do you find Krispy Kremes anymore?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1    4 years ago

You lucky girl!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1.5  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1.4    4 years ago

I know, right! One of my best moments in my life. (yeah yeah I know I am supposed to say my kids, LOL)

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.5    4 years ago

Hey, if I ever get kissed by Brad Pitt, that will be the best moment of my life

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1.7  Split Personality  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.2    4 years ago

Interesting story. When the founder, Vernon Rudolph passed in 1973 the firm slowed down, eventually being bought by Beatrice Foods and suffered a continuing decline and series of closures until 1982

when original investors and franchisees grouped together to buy the rights to the name and automated processes back from Beatrice Foods and concentrated on regrowing the brand in SE USA.

In 1992 they went international.  Although they only have 362 locations in the USA, they have over 700 locations worldwide now, almost 1,100 franchises.

The location on RT1 in Bensalem Pa was always a family favorite Sunday morning visit.  It did not survive the 80's but the company recently built one nearby on Street road.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1.8  Split Personality  replied to  Split Personality @5.1.7    4 years ago

Each of my adult children and I living in 5 different states are less than 3 miles from a Kripsy Kreme location.

Very weird, lol.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1.9  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Split Personality @5.1.8    4 years ago

We used to have them, now I miss them.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.10  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.9    4 years ago

We had one in Little Rock but it closed

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1.12  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Split Personality @5.1.7    4 years ago

The thing is I think they could come back. The days of fresh baked doughnuts are gone since Dunkin went to centralize distribution. They are not what they used to be. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1.13  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Split Personality @5.1.8    4 years ago

They are soooo lucky!

Ender
Professor Principal
5.1.14  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1.10    4 years ago

We use to have one but I don't think it came back after Katrina. I remember the neon sign they would turn on.

They do have one in Ocean Springs and one in Gulfport.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Split Personality @5    4 years ago

When Krispy Kreme opened in Toronto, I think my car could have worn out the road to there from my home.  I don't think there are any franchises here, and I once thought that if I won the lottery I'd try to open one here - I'm sure it would be as successful here as McDonald's. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.2.1  Split Personality  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.2    4 years ago

Stay healthy and live a long life.

Not sure the KK Kreme filled donuts are good for us at our age, lol.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Split Personality @5.2.1    4 years ago
"Stay healthy and live a long life."

Thanks, I'll try my best.  Same to you. 

"Not sure the KK Kreme filled donuts are good for us at our age, lol."

I know, I know, damn it !!!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.2.2    4 years ago

One or two once a week won't kill you

That's my philosophy anyway

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.2.3    4 years ago

I like your philosophy.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.2.3    4 years ago

Freefaller just pointed out to me that Tim Horton's has already started opening donut shops in China, but I checked and there aren't any within 50 miles of me, but they are making a big expansion so I hope there will soon be one within walking distance - I'm sure I'll be one of their best customers.  The very first Tim Horton's opened in the city in which I was born and grew up. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.2.5    4 years ago

I've heard a lot about Tim Horton's but I don't believe there are any in the states.

They could open one here in Central Arkansas. We got lots of fatsos that would love them and give them great business....like me

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.2.6    4 years ago

There are a total of  648  Tim Hortons locations in the United States as of May 06, 2020.

They're pretty well all in the north-east of the USA.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.8  Trout Giggles  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.2.7    4 years ago

I stand corrected. But I see there are none near me

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.2.9  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.2.8    4 years ago

you have to live some place where ice can form from water...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.10  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @5.2.9    4 years ago

We get the occasional frozen mud puddle here

evilone
Professor Guide
6  evilone    4 years ago

It's been awhile since I've seen this. When cable was still in it's infancy my Aunt invited me to stay with her to watch this one summer. I should see if I can find it again. In the story Robert Neville was revealed as the monster. He kept killing and experimenting on the infected looking for a "cure".

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  evilone @6    4 years ago

The book is a little different from the movie, but even in the movie he talked about a time when he tried to cure the infected, but not to be a monster. You can watch it on Amazon for $1.99 of for free on TCM on May 18th at 4pm.

evilone
Professor Guide
6.1.1  evilone  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.1    4 years ago
...free on TCM on May 18th at 4pm.

I no longer have cable. I looked for it on Hulu, but it didn't come up in a search. I'll keep an eye out for it on Monday.

Ender
Professor Principal
7  Ender    4 years ago

Next the survivors will be implanted with a life clock.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ender @7    4 years ago

Why that?

Ender
Professor Principal
7.1.1  Ender  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7.1    4 years ago

Just a bad reference to Logan's Run.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7.1.2  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ender @7.1.1    4 years ago

I totally forgot about that. 

evilone
Professor Guide
7.2  evilone  replied to  Ender @7    4 years ago
Next the survivors will be implanted with a life clock.

In Time staring Justin Timberlake

Ender
Professor Principal
7.2.1  Ender  replied to  evilone @7.2    4 years ago

Never saw that one. I will have to check it out.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @7.2.1    4 years ago

You could buy minutes in that movie. But you also had to use your life minutes to purchase things

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

The fact that in the story China developed and installed in a missile a contagious disease plays well into the O'Donnell playbook guidelines to deflect from Trump's mishandling and blaming China, so I suppose the insertion of this line in the article was necessary as well:

"The lab in Wuhan, China possibly creating this virus;"  (Which is NOT true - there is more than ample evidence from respected scientists that it is natural, not created, nor is there proof it escaped from a lab).

Donnie should be happy with this article being posted - it helps to back up his conspiracy theory. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
9  It Is ME    4 years ago

I prefered "The Happening".

Scarier ! jrSmiley_19_smiley_image.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  It Is ME @9    4 years ago

Well, the point was not so much about being scared but the context of the movie in with what is going on in the world now. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
9.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1    4 years ago

There have been so many  movies made about "Virus Armageddon", a new cold virus showing up doesn't cause me to get Hysterical. If the likes of the "Black Plague" hits, I'll then be a bit nervous.   Other than that....these are always going to be "just movies" to me !