╌>

98 year old vet tells trump that he and his fellow pow's from Bataan were not losers

Category:  News & Politics

By:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  14 comments

98 year old vet tells trump that he and his fellow pow's from Bataan were not losers

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    4 years ago

This is all really working out well for Trump.   s. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2  bbl-1    4 years ago

No point in telling Trump anything.  If it's more than a half sentence he can't comprehend it.  If the sentence does not contain words like--'greatly, bigly Trump' he doesn't hear it.

As far as the 98 year old Bataan veteran------------please vote---your service to the Constitution and America is not yet finished.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
3  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    4 years ago

After watching the video, I feel an insane need to punch Donald Trump right in the nose.  [deleted]

[Dump Trump 2020.  Please.]

Gsquared
Professor Principal
4  Gsquared    4 years ago

Another true American HERO speaks out. 

He was captured at Bataan and forced to perform slave labor for 42 months!  Donald Trump doesn't like him.  "I like people who weren't captured."

Pvt. Dan Crowley, age 98, has our eternal gratitude.

(My father also enlisted in the Army Air Corps in WW2.  One of his best friends was captured in the Battle of the Bulge and held prisoner by the Nazis.)

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4.1  bbl-1  replied to  Gsquared @4    4 years ago

Did you father's friend get to come home?

My father was in The Normandy Invasion.  He came home.  Never talked about it much.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  bbl-1 @4.1    4 years ago

My father served in the U.S. Army in Europe from Normandy through the Rhine battles and the liberation of Holland. He never talked about his experiences to me when I was growing up. He died not too long after I came back from Vietnam. He had only just started to open up to me before he passed away. I have missed what we could have shared ever since.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Gsquared  replied to  bbl-1 @4.1    4 years ago

Yes he came home, he did but he would never talk about his time in the P.O.W. camp except to tell my father a couple of stories. 

I happen to know that he was a 19 year old PFC, a mortar gunner, when he was captured and that he was a P.O.W from December 1944 through April 1945 at Stalag IVB, living in constant hunger.  In 2008 he was awarded the Legion d'Honneur by the French government in a ceremony in Los Angeles.  The medal is France’s highest distinction for U.S. veterans who fought in at least one of the four main campaigns in the liberation of France. He lived a long, successful, happy life.  

Your father also has our eternal gratitude.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Gsquared  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.1.1    4 years ago

As I believe of all of our veterans, your father has our eternal gratitude.  Participating in the liberation of Holland is an achievement for the ages.  I was in the Netherlands on Liberation Day a few years ago.  It was a unique experience.  I was also in Paris on the 44th anniversary of the liberation of the city, and happened to attend a ceremony that day at Notre Dame Cathedral, which was filled with old men in uniforms, many of whom were crying.  It was very moving.

Dragon
Freshman Silent
4.1.4  Dragon  replied to  bbl-1 @4.1    4 years ago

My dad, who passed away last December 7th, age 99, was in the Normandy invasion on D day. He was in the Seabees. He never talked about it until he was in his 80s, and then rarely, and few details.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.2  Kavika   replied to  Gsquared @4    4 years ago

A salute to your father and his friend, Gsquare.

My cousin was KIA at the Bastogne, December 24th, 1944. 

I have so much respect for the ''Greatest Generation'' and for Pvt. Dan Crowley. A salute to you sir.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
4.2.1  Gsquared  replied to  Kavika @4.2    4 years ago

Thank you Kavika.

Your cousin was a hero and, of course, as do all of our veterans, has our sincerest eternal gratitude.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
4.2.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Kavika @4.2    4 years ago

We as a country have forgotten, or at the very least, marginalized the lessons that the "Greatest Generation" painfully learned and applied to move our country forward.  The most important was that of compromise that puts the whole of America, not ideology first.

Dulay
Professor Expert
5  Dulay    4 years ago

My great uncle was a Guerrilla fighter who helped liberate US GIs in the Philippines. He was KIA. He was a great loss to the family. 

After the war, my mothers whole family, except my Grandfather, moved to the PI, my mom was the oldest at 10. As the only living son [3 younger sisters], my Grandfather, stayed in Chicago and worked 2 full time jobs to support ALL of his family while he lived in a cheap flop house. My mom, her little brothers and my GIANT [in Filipino terms] red headed [henna] Grandmother lived in our family barrio for a while and then moved to Manila where my Grandmother got a job and they lived in a one room shack. Only my Grandmother wore shoes.

It took them 2 years to dig our family out of poverty, rebuild the family compound and get everyone back on their feet. 

Their passport photo is one of my prize possessions. 

My uncle is named after my Great uncle. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

My mother's brother joined the Canadian Army during WW2 and fought in Holland, brought me back a souvenir German officer's bayonet, and 2 of my maternal Grandfather's brother's 3 sons were also with the Canadian Army fighting in Europe at the time, but unfortunately his third son, who was a bomber navigator with the Royal Canadian Air Force was shot down over Europe, and never returned.  They are the only ones in my family who I knew served their country during a war that Canada was involved in.