╌>

CBS News calls out White House for breaking agreement and posting Trump's '60 Minutes' interview online

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sister-mary-agnes-ample-bottom  •  4 years ago  •  47 comments

By:   Oliver Darcy (MSN)

CBS News calls out White House for breaking agreement and posting Trump's '60 Minutes' interview online
CBS News on Thursday called out the White House for violating an agreement it had with the network and posting President Trump's full "60 Minutes" interview online ahead of its Sunday air date.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

CBS News on Thursday called out the White House for violating an agreement it had with the network and posting President Trump's full "60 Minutes" interview online ahead of its Sunday air date.

"The White House's unprecedented decision to disregard their agreement with CBS News and release their footage will not deter '60 Minutes' from providing its full, fair and contextual reporting which presidents have participated in for decades," CBS News said in a statement.

Trump posted the 38-minute interview on Facebook after spending days threatening to do so and lashing out at correspondent Lesley Stahl, who conducted the interview at the White House Tuesday.

CBS News has said the White House recorded the interview alongside the network, but agreed only to use the footage for archival purposes. The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment about the agreement.

The President claimed in his Thursday Facebook post that the full video revealed "bias, hatred and rudeness" on Stahl's part. But the footage revealed no such thing, only showing Stahl asking firm questions about the coronavirus and other topics.

CBS News noted in its statement that "60 Minutes" is "widely respected for bringing its hallmark fairness, deep reporting and informative context to viewers each week."

"Few journalists have the presidential interview experience Lesley Stahl has delivered over her decades as one of the premier correspondents in America and we look forward to audiences seeing her third interview with President Trump and subsequent interview with Vice President Pence this weekend," the network added.

The interview began with Stahl asking the President if he was "ready for tough questions." Trump replied that he only wanted her to be "fair."

"But you're OK with some tough questions?" Stahl asked.

"No, I'm not," Trump replied.

From there, Trump spent much of the interview accusing Stahl of being biased and "negative" with her questioning.

Toward the end of the interview, Trump grew even more frustrated, complaining that he fields tougher questions than his Democratic challenger Joe Biden.

The President also told Stahl that starting the interview by asking him if he was ready for "tough questions" was "no way to talk."

Near the end of the video, a person off camera then told Trump that Vice President Mike Pence would soon be ready for a joint interview with him that Stahl was slated to conduct after the solo interview finished.

"Well, I think we have enough," Trump said. "I think we have enough of an interview here. OK? That's enough. Let's go, let's go."

Trump's displeasure with how the interview went was immediately made clear to the public. The President on Tuesday taunted Stahl by posting a video of her on Twitter without a mask.

A person familiar with the situation told CNN at the time that the image from the tweet showed Stahl with her producers immediately after Trump ended the interview. Stahl had not yet gone back to get her personal belongings to put her mask back on. She had a mask on from the time she entered the White House and just before the interview began.

The interviews with Trump and Pence will air Sunday on "60 Minutes" alongside interviews with Biden and his running mate Kamala Harris. The newsmagazine program has a long history of interviewing candidates ahead of elections.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    4 years ago

The interview began with Stahl asking the President if he was "ready for tough questions." Trump replied that he only wanted her to be "fair."

"But you're OK with some tough questions?" Stahl asked.

"No, I'm not," Trump replied.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1    4 years ago

Didn't say he wouldn't answer them. Just not okay with them.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.1  Dulay  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1    4 years ago

So it's okay with you that Trump isn't okay with being asked tough questions?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Dulay @1.1.1    4 years ago

Well, no because then his supporters will cringe, wince, and get watery eyes listening to him trying to bluff his way through the interview. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.3  Dulay  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.2    4 years ago

Yet that wouldn't phase them Trout. Proof of that is the disastrous interview he had with Axios' Johnathan Swan. Trump was exposed as an idiot and they just brushed it off as unfair and 'got ya' questioning. The cognitive dissonance they feel must be painful but it hasn't swayed them. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.4  bugsy  replied to  Dulay @1.1.1    4 years ago
So it's okay with you that Trump isn't okay with being asked tough questions?

Nope. He has done nothing but take tough questions from a hostile media. However, on team Joe, the swooning media asks Joe "What flavor milk shake did you get".

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.5  Dulay  replied to  bugsy @1.1.4    4 years ago
Nope. He has done nothing but take tough questions from a hostile media.

You're deflecting from my question to you bugsy. I asked you about what he SAID. 

So which of Stahl's questions did you think was tough? 

However, on team Joe, the swooning media asks Joe "What flavor milk shake did you get".

That dog don't hunt. 

You must have missed the first debate bugsy. 

The preview of Biben's 60 Minutes interview proves that he was asked 'tough questions' and unlike Trump, he answered them with specifics. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.6  Dulay  replied to  bugsy @1.1.4    4 years ago

So now that the debate is over, what say you now about Biden being asked the hard questions and his ability to answer them? I await your unbias evaluation...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  Dulay @1.1.6    4 years ago

I know you didn't ask me, but Mr. Biden sure didn't sound like addle-brained old man who doesn't know how to tie his shoes

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1    4 years ago

Which one of Trump's handlers thought it was a good idea for him to do the 60-minutes interview in the first place? 

Trump can't handle being outside of the Fox bubble... AKA, the real world.  

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.2.1  Dulay  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1.2    4 years ago

He's a narcissist Fly, he thinks he's the smartest guy on the planet and can't let the concept of a WOMAN getting the better of him. Even though that delusion has been proven to be false over and over again, he merely brushes it off by claiming that they were unfair, fake, mean and rude. 

Professor Guide
1.2.2  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1.2    4 years ago
Which one of Trump's handlers thought it was a good idea for him to do the 60-minutes interview in the first place?

I'm sure they begged him not to do it.  But remember, Dr. Fauci did a 60 Minutes interview.  Trump wasn't going to be left out, and I am certain he had his people call Lesley Stahl's people forthwith.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1    4 years ago

Looky there! He told the truth for once!

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.4  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1    4 years ago

it's going to be hilarious watching him get his big mouth muted in the last debate.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.4.1  Ozzwald  replied to  devangelical @1.4    4 years ago

it's going to be hilarious watching him get his big mouth muted in the last debate.

One thing is for sure, because of Trump's incessant whining, Sunday's "60 Minutes" is going to have excellent ratings.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.4.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ozzwald @1.4.1    4 years ago

I know they got me watching!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.4.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.4.2    4 years ago

I only tuned in well after the other interview was underway.  Tonight, I'll have popcorn and beer ready.  I already voted today, not that this debate was going to change my mind.  Now I'm watching for the entertainment.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.4.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.4.3    4 years ago

I watched it in bed and was actually yelling at trmp for a little bit but then I fell asleep

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.4.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.4.4    4 years ago

I didn't yell.  I laughed a bit, especially when he brought up tired old accusations that had already been debunked by fact checkers.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.4.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.4.5    4 years ago

I got very irritated when Kristen (?) asked him about the Iranian and Russian interference in the elections and he turns that around to Hunter Biden. At least I think he did. Anyway, the point is, he never answered her question and I was yelling at him to answer the question and the cat is looking at me like I'm nuts

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.4.7  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.4.6    4 years ago
the cat is looking at me like I'm nuts

The dog is used to me yelling at the TV.  He just raises his head, looks at me, and goes back to sleep.

My god, I'm turning into my father.

Honestly, as much time as Trump wants to spend on Hunter and what allegedly happened after Biden was out of office, I think somebody should really go to town on Ivanka's Chinese trademarks while her daddy was actually in office.  Hammer it home until the moderator cuts the mic.  Beat them at their own game.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.4.8  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.4.7    4 years ago

Stubby was laying on my shoulder and he had to  move.

I think somebody should really go to town on Ivanka's Chinese trademarkswhile her daddy was actually in office.  Hammer it home until the moderator cuts the mic.  Beat them at their own game.

absolutely!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    4 years ago

As always , Trump calls attention to something that can only hurt him.

Why does he do it? I heard a news anchor say yesterday that Trump was celebrating Festivus - the ritual airing of personal grievances. 

Professor Guide
3  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    4 years ago

The titty-baby in all his grandeur.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1  Ender  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @3    4 years ago

I don't know if I can watch it. More than five minutes of listening to his voice makes me want to dig a cuetip in my ear...

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ender @3.1    4 years ago

I can't get past one.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @3.1    4 years ago

That sing-songy voice of his makes my right eye twitch.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.3  Dulay  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.2    4 years ago

Try some vitamin B complex and muting the sound.

Transcripts are much safer...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @3    4 years ago

As the saying goes,  to Trump everything looks like a nail.  He can't finesse a question, a thought, or a concept. I am watching it and his responses are entirely more of the same he has given us for four years. This will not gain him a single voter when 60 Minutes airs it Sunday, and will likely lose him some votes. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.2.1  Dulay  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2    4 years ago

IMHO, 60 Minutes should air the interview as a fact checking session. 

Have a panel with experts, play the tape, listen to the question and Trump's 'answer, then stop it and do the fact check. Start the tape again and when Trump states babbling non-responsive bullshit, stop the tape, tell viewers that he's not answering the question and just FF it, show his head bobbing and his hands swinging and his mouth flapping and don't stop the tape until the next question. When he starts rinsing and repeating more of his BS, FF it again until the next question. In the few instances where he does make a statement, let the experts explain why it's a documented lie. 

The ONLY thing I saw that was unequivocal in the interview was his citing of the Gallup poll data about 56% felling that they were better off. Yet anyone with a little curiosity should go look at the rest of that Gallup poll data and I'm sure that they would come to the conclusion that the rest of that data isn't good for Trump. The poll shows that voters don't believe what Trump is saying about anything and isn't doing a good job. 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
3.3  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @3    4 years ago

Watched it in full.

My republican wife's comment while watching the segment...... "He's such a baby!"

The interview just reinforced why both of us are"

• Voting for Biden
  • Voting Blue in all instances possible.
  • Voting for women when when there is no clear choice after doing the research on the individuals.

Professor Guide
3.3.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @3.3    4 years ago
The interview just reinforced why both of us are"
  • Voting for Biden
  • Voting Blue in all instances possible.
  • Voting for women when when there is no clear choice after doing the research on the individuals.

That's how to be an educated, informed, couple-about-town!!!!!!  And thank your wife for me, will you?  There are too many republicans willing to ignore that fool's nonsense in the name of partisanship.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.3.2  Texan1211  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @3.3    4 years ago

doesn't really sound like she us a Republican if she us going to vote blue in all instances possible.

can't see any Republican doing that.

I wouldn't call someone who claims to be  Democrat and votes all red a Democrat, either.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.3.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @3.3    4 years ago
ting for women when when there is no clear choice after doing the research on the individuals

Voting on the basis of biology, Klan approved!

Professor Guide
3.3.4  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Texan1211 @3.3.2    4 years ago
doesn't really sound like she us a Republican if she us going to vote blue in all instances possible.

Surely you don't have a problem with someone making up their own mind, do you?  Yesterday, you were calling people who followed others 'sheeple'.  Here is someone who has chosen not to follow the crowd, and you take umbrage with that as well.    

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.3.5  Dulay  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.3.3    4 years ago

Projection. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.3.6  Texan1211  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @3.3.4    4 years ago
Surely you don't have a problem with someone making up their own mind, do you?  Yesterday, you were calling people who followed others 'sheeple'.  Here is someone who has chosen not to follow the crowd, and you take umbrage with that as well.

perhaps reading my comment more carefully would benefit you.

What I remarked on was the fact that he claimed his wife a Republican, but she was going to vote blue in all instances possible.

i don't consider "Republicans" who vote all blue to BE a Republican, no more than I would consider a Democrat who voted all red in all instances possible a Democrat.

Maybe you think that people who vote straight party tickets are really the opposite party of who they voted for?

I'm sure that probably makes sense in La La Land.

I didn't take umbrage over who she decides to vote for, just with her classification as a party member when they vote against that party in all instances possible. Mainly because that makes NO SENSE!!!!!!!!!!

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.4  Dulay  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @3    4 years ago

Trump had about ten sentences prepared and just rinsed and repeated them ad nauseam, no matter what the question was. 

What made me laugh out loud was Trump first saying that he knew nothing about the 'laptop' allegations and then proceeded to cite the GOP propaganda about those very allegations. 

Trump constantly deflected from the actual questions and then made up shit. His narcissistic need to pretend that his rally crowds are 'bigger than ever' was laughable. 

Ender
Professor Principal
4  Ender    4 years ago

If someone did that to him, he would sue...

I had to laugh at the WH big empty book of healthcare....

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @4    4 years ago

That was funny!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5  Sean Treacy    4 years ago

The most hilarious part was the claim by Stahl they couldn't run the story because "it wasn't verified." 

Imagine, after the last four years, a network claiming that as a defense. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.1  Dulay  replied to  Sean Treacy @5    4 years ago
The most hilarious part was the claim by Stahl they couldn't run the story because "it wasn't verified." 

Why would you think that the truth is the most hilarious part of the interview? 

Imagine, after the last four years, a network claiming that as a defense. 

You know that Stahl isn't 'a network' right? 

Trump tried to do the same shit throughout the interview. He tried to blame Stahl for every real and perceived slight he has ever received from the entire news media. 

Professor Guide
5.1.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Dulay @5.1    4 years ago

Boom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Dulay @5.1    4 years ago

Because it was. Irony is funny. 

ou know that Stahl isn't 'a network' right? 

That is the defense of her network.  you understand that, right?

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.1.3  Dulay  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.2    4 years ago
Because it was. Irony is funny. 

So perhaps you can explain how Stahl stating a fact is ironic? Is it in contrast with what Trump said? 

That is the defense of her network.  you understand that, right?

What does Stahl or her network have to defend Sean? It wasn't Stahl or the network that violated the agreement that they had with the WH for this interview. Surely you don't think that they should have to defend against Trump's never ending bullshit allegations.

Stahl wasn't there to tape a canned campaign speech, she was there to ask questions and for Trump and Pence to give cogent answers. What she got was Trump's whiny deflections and Pence's sycophancy. 60 Minutes could have garnered that footage from just about any of their speeches. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6  Tacos!    4 years ago

I have zero problem with a politician pushing back on the press, calling them on their bullshit, or giving tough answers to questions. 

However, when you open with whining about the media, or spend excessive time talking about the media the way Trump often does, I think it shows weakness. There is a middle ground that can work to his advantage, but he frequently focuses on this too much.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

"The White House's unprecedented decision to disregard their agreement with CBS News..."

UNPRECEDENTED?  Are you kidding us?  Trump and his administration STEAL musicians' music for their rallies, contravene international rules and protocols (WTO rules concening trade with China) (breaking into a foreign consulate), pay no attention to the Hatch Act, ignore the AGREED-TO debate rules, LOL.  Trump is Mr. Law and order?. jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif .