╌>

Poll - Will Trump Pardon Himself?

Category:  News & Politics

By:  dig  •  4 years ago  •  176 comments

Poll - Will Trump Pardon Himself?

original

What will Trump do?

Voting has Ended

Potentially facing federal charges for tax fraud, and/or for illegally using campaign finances to make hush money payments to various women in 2016, and/or for any other possible crimes presently unknown to the public, Trump will...

Select
Option
Votes
Pardon himself
Resign before Inauguration Day so that Pence can pardon him
Stick it out and leave office unpardoned
Something else (explain below)

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Dig
Professor Participates
1  author  Dig    4 years ago

What do you think?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1  cjcold  replied to  Dig @1    4 years ago

It will be state crimes that will see him in prison. 

CB
Professor Principal
1.2  CB  replied to  Dig @1    4 years ago

Donald "Jingle Jangle" Trump will pardon himself. Why? Because pulling cords that lead to nowhere is what he does in life. He will want to know what a conservative supreme court will say on the matter. And should he be successful at pardoning himself: OUTSTANDING.

For the remainder of us. At the least we will have a precedent for any future "Trumphole" to take stock of going in.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2  sandy-2021492    4 years ago

I'm betting he pardons himself.  He has to much ego to resign.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2    4 years ago

I’m publicly urging him to pardon not only himself but each and every single person who served in his administration during his term and was involved in either of his campaigns to frustrate the blood lust of those seeking whatever revenge and retribution they can get. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1    4 years ago

Of course you are.

Forget about what is the right thing to do;  do what is best for yourself (or your confused cause).

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.1    4 years ago

It is the right thing to do.  We don’t need show trials of the past administration when a new one takes power in this country.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.3  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.2    4 years ago

We do not want to have a former PotUS on trial.   But that does not make avoiding it the right thing to do.   Often times the right thing to do is undesirable.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.4  Ozzwald  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.2    4 years ago
We don’t need show trials of the past administration when a new one takes power in this country.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
2.1.5  pat wilson  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1    4 years ago
I’m publicly urging him

How are you doing that ? Are you walking the streets of Redding ringing a bell and calling it out ?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1.6  sandy-2021492  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1    4 years ago
I’m publicly urging him to pardon not only himself but each and every single person who served in his administration

I'm sure he and his lawyers are hanging on your every word.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
2.1.7  Gsquared  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1    4 years ago

Why doesn't he just pardon all 360 million people in the country?  A blanket pardon covering everyone.  Bam!  Done deal.  Everyone gets a free pass.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.8  TᵢG  replied to  Gsquared @2.1.7    4 years ago
Why doesn't he just pardon all 360 million people in the country?

Because that does not help him personally.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
2.1.9  Gsquared  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1.6    4 years ago
he and his lawyers are hanging

Trump's just hoping he won't be facing a hanging judge.

Dig
Professor Participates
2.1.10  author  Dig  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1    4 years ago
I’m publicly urging him to pardon not only himself but each and every single person who served in his administration during his term and was involved in either of his campaigns

Corruption unbound, eh? I'm not the least bit surprised.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
2.1.11  Gsquared  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.8    4 years ago
Because that does not help him personally.

Maybe he will think it will get him more votes in 2024.  

Dig
Professor Participates
2.1.12  author  Dig  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.2    4 years ago
We don’t need show trials of the past administration when a new one takes power in this country.

Show trials of the past administration? Oh, you must be talking about the 10 different Benghazi investigations that went on for 2 1/2 years and turned up... bupkis.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.1.13  cjcold  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.2    4 years ago

Actually a whole lot of Americans would dearly love to see Trump in prison. It would reaffirm our faith in the justice system and democracy in general.. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.14  devangelical  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.2    4 years ago

that's hilarious, coming from a member of the lock them up chorus.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1.15  MrFrost  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1    4 years ago
I’m publicly urging him to pardon not only himself

So you are admitting that trump is a criminal. Good talk. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.16  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.3    4 years ago

We do not want to have a former PotUS on trial. 

This one I do.  Let Mr. I am a president of law and order find out what that really means.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.17  TᵢG  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1.16    4 years ago
This one I do. 

My comment included two other sentences that completed my point:

TiG @2.1.3We do not want to have a former PotUS on trial.   But that does not make avoiding it the right thing to do.   Often times the right thing to do is undesirable.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2.1.18  igknorantzrulz  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.17    4 years ago

If the extremely large number of crimes, that Trump HAS  been accused of , and the so many HE HAS committed, even if not 100 % proven are left to go unchallenged and not questioned or censored as in , any manner, what and where is the deterrent for the next POTUS (hopefully one like this IS NEVER ELECTED AGAIN),  to not see how far he can push and punish, cause Trump tested and exposed SO MANY weakness's in our once respected and honored "honor" system, without any real consequences, that it quite possibly would/could motivate other scumbags to make a mockery of our Government, our Country, and our People too ignorant to see that which they obviously, just can't.

Without a substantial deterrent,there is NOTHING to stop the next Dictator of the formerly United States ME,

cause with Trump still getting 70,000,000 votes, after what he has done to this country, proves our forefathers could never anticipate a country that could be so damn IGNORANT and gullible, as to fall for a LIAR in chief who WOULD BE KING, if he could find the means, and ,

and he almost did.  Something WE ALL NEED TO CONSIDER, cause if we don't make some serious changes to our "honor" system , we dishonor ALL the great men and women who sacrificed so much, to form the closest to a near perfect Union, known as the United States...ME,  again 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.19  TᵢG  replied to  igknorantzrulz @2.1.18    4 years ago
TiG @2.1.3We do not want to have a former PotUS on trial.   But that does not make avoiding it the right thing to do.   Often times the right thing to do is undesirable.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2.1.20  igknorantzrulz  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.19    4 years ago

i might have comprehended what possibly Paula might have missed, as, sometimes, i'm guilty of getting it, a little.

I was not questioning your already stated in agreement point, i was reinforcing your sentiment, and, i realize you need not my assistance, just sum tymez i feel the need to, assist. As i speak, lets say, in slightly different terms than most, and share more in common with the self uneducated(not referencing Paula) than do most that understand reality, and wrong or write my reality, is what my reality is, and will always be, unless i am convinced via further context and facts, that my perception has mis-perceived, thus altering that which i once did B leave in for the bar soon, so a good evening to any and all...cause goin out to personally grow minds so small, and all...

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.21  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.17    4 years ago

jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

pat wilson
Professor Participates
2.2  pat wilson  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2    4 years ago

He has to much ego to resign.  

Yes but he's also thinking about the legal cluster fuks he faces starting 1/21/2021. A Pence pardon would alleviate some of that, not all.

Personally I'm just happy to see him gone.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.2.1  Raven Wing  replied to  pat wilson @2.2    4 years ago
Personally I'm just happy to see him gone.

So am I Pat. I'll worry about what happens in 4 years 4 years from now. Right now I am just relieved that that the presumptive Dictator has been removed from his pedestal and there is hope that America can return to some semblance of the real America once again.

Plus, fighting the COVID-19 is more than enough on everyone's plate at this point. So I will worry about 2024 in 2024. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.3  MrFrost  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2    4 years ago

I'm betting he pardons himself.  He has to much ego to resign.  

He can try. If presidents could pardon themselves, there would be no impeachment clause in the US Constitution. What would be the point of impeaching a  president if he can just pardon himself? 

Most of what I have read is that he can pardon himself, but it would never stand up in court. No one is above the law, not even the POTUS. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.3.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  MrFrost @2.3    4 years ago
ts could pardon themselves, there would be no impeachment clause in the US Constitution.

Impeachment is a political act  and has nothing to do with criminal liability. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3  Split Personality    4 years ago

I feel that he will try to pardon himself, setting off a long unprecedented Constitutional fight which will end up in SCOTUS.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Split Personality @3    4 years ago

There is nothing in the constitution that says that a president may not pardon him or herself.  

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  lady in black  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1    4 years ago

Yes there is, a president can "grant" a pardon, but can't "grant" that pardon on himself

Article II of the Constitution , a sitting president “shall have Power to " grant" Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  lady in black @3.1.1    4 years ago

This has nothing to do with that.  The senate voted not to convict and remove so that limitation on a presidents pardoning powers doesn’t apply to him.  

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1.3  Split Personality  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.2    4 years ago

There is precedent mentioned every day, that a judge may not sit in judgement of his own case.

No one has challenged Ford's pardon of Nixon.

Trump's pardon of himself would most definitely be challenged.

He cannot win without the foundation of the Republic being permanently damaged 

ushering in another would be dictator.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3.1.4  lady in black  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.2    4 years ago

Impeachment is not the word to focus on, it's the word "grant" that is why he can't pardon himself.  He can't "grant" himself a pardon

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3.1.5  lady in black  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.2    4 years ago

The word “grant” also implies two persons. In   dictionaries   known to be owned by the Framers, the verb form of grant is defined as, “ To bestow something which cannot be claimed of right, ” or “ to … give, bestow .” The transactional, two-party character of the noun form of grant is emphasized by the existence of two derivative words –   grantor   (the person who makes a grant) and   grantee   (the person who receives it) – which were in common usage at the time of the founding. (All other instances of the word “grant” in the Constitution   confirm this understanding .)

More importantly, throughout Anglo-American history from Magna Carta to the time of the Philadelphia Constitutional Convention, a pardon in law always involved two parties – an executive (or sometimes legislative) grantor and an individual grantee. I have been unable to discover a single instance in which a king, royal governor, or any similar official purported to pardon himself. That is important because both the ordinary usage of the words “grant” and “pardon,” and the universal, invariable, and centuries-old bilateral understanding of the concept of “granting a pardon,” would have informed the way the Framers understood the words they wrote into the Pardon Clause and rendered an exclusion for self-pardon superfluous.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1.6  Split Personality  replied to  lady in black @3.1.4    4 years ago

Hopefully, Trump will keep taking Gulliani's advice and ignoring experts like Professor Tribe.

I don't think Dershowitz would really back Trump issuing blanket pardons to himself, family or friends,

it's too great of an abuse of power.

Any such pardons should end in an embarrassing SCOTUS defeat 9-0.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.7  sandy-2021492  replied to  Split Personality @3.1.3    4 years ago
He cannot win without the foundation of the Republic being permanently damaged 

Some folks care more about their party than any damage to our Republic.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.1.8  Bob Nelson  replied to  Split Personality @3.1.3    4 years ago

From what I've read, a "self-pardon" might be Constitutional.

... and with Amy Coney Barrett... 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1.9  Split Personality  replied to  Bob Nelson @3.1.8    4 years ago

I think that's wishful thinking

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.1.10  Bob Nelson  replied to  Split Personality @3.1.9    4 years ago

I hope you're right. I'm not a Constitutional lawyer, so my own opinion is pretty much worthless. What I've read is inconclusive. 

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.1.11  Gsquared  replied to  Bob Nelson @3.1.10    4 years ago

The best Constitutional lawyers in the country don't really know.  They might have opinions or preferences, but the issue has never been addressed by the Supreme Court.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.1.12  Bob Nelson  replied to  Gsquared @3.1.11    4 years ago

Exactly.

... and with the present Court... who knows?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3.2  bbl-1  replied to  Split Personality @3    4 years ago

That is a possibility.  But, if he does that the tax fraud, insurance fraud and money laundering will break the dam.  And who knows what else there is out there?  Not to mention we haven't heard a peep from Deutsche Bank, Alpha Bank or those financial concerns in Cyprus lately.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.2.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  bbl-1 @3.2    4 years ago
Deutsche Bank

Money launderers for the Russian mob?

Dig
Professor Participates
3.2.2  author  Dig  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.2.1    4 years ago

Probably.

Eric Trump in 2008: “We have all the funding we need out of Russia.”

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.2.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  Dig @3.2.2    4 years ago

I wouldn't want to be in hock to those folks.

Dig
Professor Participates
3.2.4  author  Dig  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.2.3    4 years ago

It sure would explain a lot about his ass backwards behavior toward Russia, wouldn't it? Putin is like the chief mobster.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.2.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  Dig @3.2.4    4 years ago

Yes, it would.

To expand his real estate developments over the years, Donald Trump, his company and partners repeatedly turned to wealthy Russians and oligarchs from former Soviet republics — several allegedly connected to organized crime, according to a USA TODAY review of court cases, government and legal documents and an interview with a former federal prosecutor.

The president and his companies have been linked to at least 10 wealthy former Soviet businessmen with alleged ties to criminal organizations or money laundering.

Among them:

• A member of the firm that developed the Trump SoHo Hotel in New York is a twice-convicted felon who spent a year in prison for stabbing a man and later scouted for Trump investments in Russia.

• An investor in the SoHo project was accused by Belgian authorities in 2011 in a $55 million money-laundering scheme.

• Three owners of Trump condos in Florida and Manhattan were accused in federal indictments of belonging to a Russian-American organized crime group and working for a major international crime boss based in Russia.

• A former mayor from Kazakhstan was accused in a federal lawsuit filed in Los Angeles in 2014 of hiding millions of dollars looted from his city, some of which was spent on three Trump SoHo units.

• A Ukrainian owner of two Trump condos in Florida was indicted in a money-laundering scheme involving a former prime minister of Ukraine.

Trump's Russian connections are of heightened interest because of an FBI investigation into possible collusion between Trump's presidential campaign and Russian operatives to interfere in last fall's election. What’s more, Trump and his companies have had business dealings with Russians that go back decades, raising questions about whether his policies would be influenced by business considerations.

Dig
Professor Participates
3.2.6  author  Dig  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.2.5    4 years ago

But, there's no there there.... /s

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.2.7  sandy-2021492  replied to  Dig @3.2.6    4 years ago

Pay no attention to the mobster behind the loan officer's desk.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Split Personality @3    4 years ago
"I feel that he will try to pardon himself, setting off a long unprecedented Constitutional fight which will end up in SCOTUS."

Which is, IMO, one of the most important reasons he made sure his last appointment was made contrary to custom and tradition. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.4  cjcold  replied to  Split Personality @3    4 years ago

Trump will be facing a plethora of state and federal crimes which he can't easily pardon away.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.4.1  Gsquared  replied to  cjcold @3.4    4 years ago

Even if he can pardon himself, which I find dubious at best, his pardon would only cover federal crimes and not state crimes.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.5  Gsquared  replied to  Split Personality @3    4 years ago

There would only be a fight in court if a federal prosecutor tries to prosecute him.  Otherwise, if he pretends to grant himself a pardon, nothing will happen.

Dig
Professor Participates
3.5.1  author  Dig  replied to  Gsquared @3.5    4 years ago

I heard something about this last night, I think from Joyce Vance. She said if he pardoned himself it wouldn't mean anything in the here and now, because it would only come into play if and when federal charges were brought against him later on. Only then would the determination have to be made about whether the pardon is valid or not. That makes it a big gamble on his part, because it wouldn't be challenged until after he's left office, and the 'nobody can be their own judge' thing might prove very hard to beat.

On the other hand, resigning at the last possible moment and having Pence pardon him wouldn't be a gamble at all. A pardon from Pence would assuredly stand. So, the smart play would be to do that because it's a sure thing, and a self-pardon isn't. But, being the Donald, smart plays aren't exactly his thing.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.5.2  Gsquared  replied to  Dig @3.5.1    4 years ago

Joyce Vance is a very smart lawyer.  The Supreme Court has never ruled on whether a President can grant himself a pardon, since the issue has never come up before.  Therefore, we do not know what the final ruling might be.  I don't see how under our system a President can grant himself a pardon.  As I stated somewhere before, the only way I can imagine that happening is if the Supreme Court created the legal fiction that the office of the presidency granted the person, Trump, a pardon.  Unless, they interpreted the Constitution itself to mean what Trump wants it to mean, which would be the same result.  A bad one.

A pardon from Pence would likely stand.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3.5.3  bbl-1  replied to  Gsquared @3.5.2    4 years ago

True.  A Pence pardon would stand----------unless Pence, who would then be president, had foreknowledge of the alleged crimes.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.5.4  Raven Wing  replied to  Gsquared @3.5.2    4 years ago
Unless, they interpreted the Constitution itself to mean what Trump wants it to mean, which would be the same result. 

Then those who vote for that should be removed from the SCOTUS, and that would be maneuvering the Constitution to mean what they want it to, not what it actually mean. They swore on the Bible, or some such, to uphold the Constitution when they took the oath of their position. If they do not uphold it to the letter then they are not justified to be on the SCOTUS.

JMOO

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.5.5  Gsquared  replied to  bbl-1 @3.5.3    4 years ago
A Pence pardon would stand----------unless Pence, who would then be president, had foreknowledge of the alleged crimes.

I don't know if that is actually the case.  Even if a President is a co-conspirator with the person or persons he intends to pardon, I don't think we know.

This link is to an interesting article where the author contends that an impeached, but not convicted, President, such as Trump, loses the power to pardon:

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3.5.6  bbl-1  replied to  Raven Wing @3.5.4    4 years ago

"oath of their position."  ?  Really?

Or this---Is swearing 'on the bible' the same as 'swearing at The Constitution'?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3.5.7  bbl-1  replied to  Gsquared @3.5.5    4 years ago

True, we don't know.  But----The Constitution is clear that pardons will not be issued in cases of impeachment.

I read this that crimes worthy of impeachment will not and can not be pardoned.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.5.8  Raven Wing  replied to  bbl-1 @3.5.6    4 years ago
"oath of their position."  ?  Really?

Sorry bbl, I drew a blank when I was trying to think of the right term. It is the swearing in. Too many ice pops I think, and a few ice cicles cooling the thinking processes. jrSmiley_74_smiley_image.gif

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.5.9  Raven Wing  replied to  Gsquared @3.5.5    4 years ago
This link is to an interesting article where the author contends that an impeached, but not convicted, President, such as Trump, loses the power to pardon:

If this is true, and Trump really does not have power to pardon Flynn, then what happens with Flynn? Right now he is running around bragging that he is a free man. Can Trumps pardon be negated in any way? And Flynn have to still face the court?

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.5.10  Gsquared  replied to  bbl-1 @3.5.7    4 years ago

I think the "except in cases of impeachment" clause has been interpreted by the courts to mean that the President cannot use a pardon to stop an impeachment or to reverse or undo an impeachment and conviction.

I don't think that "crimes worthy of impeachment" is the standard that would preclude a pardon.  I have never heard that.  Where did you read it?

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.5.11  Gsquared  replied to  Raven Wing @3.5.9    4 years ago

I don't think it's true, but it is interesting.  

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.5.12  Raven Wing  replied to  Gsquared @3.5.11    4 years ago

Yes it is interesting. But, it seems the moment there more than a few who are playing with the meaning of the Constitution, when it is fairly clear what it means. Just because there has never been a situation like what is a hand, it does not give anyone the right to interpret the Constitution however they want to suit their own agenda. And that seems to be what it looks like some on Trumps' side, including Trump, and in some ways the SCOTUS are doing now.

It's pretty bad when the SCOTUS, that is supposed to uphold the full wording of the Constitution, now takes liberty of the full measure of the Constitution simply due to party politics. 

And that seems to be what they are already doing.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3.5.13  bbl-1  replied to  Raven Wing @3.5.8    4 years ago

My point is this.  The courts are now political ends.  The Constitution has become biblical, meaning it is being interpreted for political gain or convenience.  And as of the past couple of decades, used to weaken public rights while strengthening corporate rights.  In other words, a discussion in our courts as to whether a president can pardon himself from unspecified crimes is a clear indication that the courts are a failure and should be completely restructured under The Constitutional restraints guaranteeing the advancement of American democracy.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3.5.14  bbl-1  replied to  Gsquared @3.5.10    4 years ago

That is how I understand the brief passage in The Constitution referring to impeachment and pardon power.  That is my take.  However, I am not a right wing judge, so my understanding would be different.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.5.15  Raven Wing  replied to  bbl-1 @3.5.13    4 years ago
is a clear indication that the courts are a failure and should be completely restructured under The Constitutional restraints guaranteeing the advancement of American democracy.

I totally agree with this, and with the other parts of your comment. 

The Constitution has become biblical, meaning it is being interpreted for political gain or convenience.

This is what concerns me the most. And now that the SCOTUS has been more or less handed to the Republicans by Trump and McConnell, who pushed for his preference candidate Ms Barrett so he can have a hand in the court as well as the Senate, the SCOTUS is sure to take a nose dive in regards to adherence to the true Constitution.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3.5.16  bbl-1  replied to  Raven Wing @3.5.15    4 years ago

Before I retire for the evening I will briefly respond.  The crux of everything is the creeping influence and power of religion.

I will add this.  For reasons I will not even attempt to explain, DJT soils and defaces everything he's ever touched.  One small example would be The Medal of Freedom which Melania placed around the neck of Limbaugh and for me, that medal and honor is now worthless.  And honorable people that received it prior to Trump should return it with prejudice.  This man has trashed our country, our democracy.  As for his 70+ million supporters-----------------like I said, he's also trashed our cohesive society.  In my opinion.  Good night. 

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.5.17  Gsquared  replied to  bbl-1 @3.5.14    4 years ago

So, when you said "read", you meant your read of the clause, your take.  I honestly don't think "crimes worthy of impeachment" is a standard for precluding a pardon that would be adopted by any judge, right, left or otherwise.  The Constitution says that treason, high crimes and misdemeanors are grounds for impeachment.  I don't think there is a restriction on granting a pardon for treason, for example, even though it is explicitly a crime worthy of impeachment.  It would be interesting to know if there have been any decisions on this question. I haven't heard of any any.  Trying to find out would take research!

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3.5.18  bbl-1  replied to  Gsquared @3.5.17    4 years ago

Well taken.  Will not disagree.  Besides, this may be one of those conundrums where we're both correct.  And all of this because of Trump and only Trump.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.5.19  Gsquared  replied to  bbl-1 @3.5.18    4 years ago
all of this because of Trump and only Trump.

At least we are almost rid of him.  Unfortunately, the stain of his legacy will be very difficult to erase.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.5.20  Raven Wing  replied to  bbl-1 @3.5.16    4 years ago
--like I said, he's also trashed our cohesive society.  In my opinion. 

I could not agree more, bbl. He has also trashed the Presidency of our country before the world, and for history. 

I feel that Biden will be able to renew the reputation and confidence in America. However, it is more than evident that Trump plans to do his best to prevent that to the extent possible. Yet, I think his game of revenge will not succeed to the level he wishes, even though he will have the backing of his rabid followers and white supremacists, neo nazies, and armed militias behind him to assist with his attempts to do so.

So it will be up to the American people who still believe in our country, and its people, to resist and stand firm behind the Constitution and our laws. And I don't think that Trump and his anti-American followers will be able to out gun our military, who have their own grudge against Trump for calling them all losers and worse. That is like a punch in the gut to all our men and women  in uniform, and those who have given their own life to keep America and its people free. Including Cadet Bone Spurs, who thanks them by spitting them in their faces and on their graves.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3.5.21  bbl-1  replied to  Raven Wing @3.5.20    4 years ago

The real question to be answered is whether ( his ) 70+ million voters continue to believe ( him ) and take ( him ) seriously.  If so, this nation has.....problems ahead.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4  TᵢG    4 years ago

If Trump can legally pardon himself for something he fears might cause him harm then there is zero doubt in my mind he will do so.

I am convinced Trump will always do what he believes is best for Trump regardless of the consequences on others.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.1  Split Personality  replied to  TᵢG @4    4 years ago

How can he pardon himself, or Melania or his children when they have not even be charged with anything?

Are they going to hand out Gold Presidential 'Get out of Jail Free' Monopoly cards?

smh

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Split Personality @4.1    4 years ago

Preemptive pardons are part of the unlimited pardoning power of a president of the United States.  

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4.1.2  bbl-1  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.1    4 years ago

Where did you find that?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.1.3  Split Personality  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.1    4 years ago

Can you please show a link where the Supreme Court

issued an opinion on the one instance of this?

Thanks in advance.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4.1.4  bbl-1  replied to  Split Personality @4.1    4 years ago

Well, they did give and Melania placed ( IT ) around the neck of Limbaugh---------I am referring to The Medal of Freedom.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4.1.5  bbl-1  replied to  Split Personality @4.1.3    4 years ago

He won't because he can't.  He's still wandering around the soybean field looking for wheat straw.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.1.6  Split Personality  replied to  bbl-1 @4.1.5    4 years ago

Are we making bricks or beer?

jrSmiley_7_smiley_image.png

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4.1.7  bbl-1  replied to  Split Personality @4.1.6    4 years ago

We are making beer, MAGA is making bs.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.8  XXJefferson51  replied to  bbl-1 @4.1.2    4 years ago

Where did you see the explicit denial of the presidents pardoning power to be used upon self in the constitution?  I’d like to see it, particularly since whatever his pardon is directed at doesn’t involve trying to override senate conviction and removal which is the only prohibition there is.  

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4.1.9  bbl-1  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.8    4 years ago

The wheat field is down the road on the right.  About a half mile or so.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4.1.10  cjcold  replied to  bbl-1 @4.1.4    4 years ago

One of the bigger slaps to the face of rational, sane Americans was Rush getting the MOF.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.1.11  Bob Nelson  replied to  cjcold @4.1.10    4 years ago

... how to count the ways ... 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1.12  MrFrost  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.1    4 years ago
unlimited pardoning power of a president of the United States.  

It's not unlimited. Sorry. I am reminded of all the things the right wing complained about President Obama doing, only to turn around and claim Trump can do whatever the fuck he likes. 

Gsquared
Professor Principal
4.1.13  Gsquared  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.12    4 years ago
all the things the right wing complained about President Obama doing, only to turn around and claim Trump can do whatever the fuck he likes

No hypocrisy there...

Dig
Professor Participates
4.1.14  author  Dig  replied to  cjcold @4.1.10    4 years ago
One of the bigger slaps to the face of rational, sane Americans was Rush getting the MOF.

Not to mention all the other recipients of it.

I almost became physically ill when I saw it happening at the SOTU.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.15  devangelical  replied to  Gsquared @4.1.13    4 years ago

heavily seasoned with white supremacy ...

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.2  Raven Wing  replied to  TᵢG @4    4 years ago
If Trump can legally pardon himself for something he fears might cause him harm then there is zero doubt in my mind he will do so.

I don't think Federal crimes are included in his ability to pardon himself, if he can. As far as I know it only applies to state and local crimes. But, Federal crimes fall under a different classification. 

Here is an article that gives light to the subject and explains some of the constitution elements of the pardon allowances. It might be interesting reading.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.2.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Raven Wing @4.2    4 years ago

I believe it's the other way around.  He can only pardon federal crimes; state crimes do not fall under his jurisdiction.  Whether he can pardon himself is a question for lawyers.  He can be pardoned without having been charged.  Nixon was pardoned by Ford before charges were brought against him.

But even if he pardons himself, or if Biden pardons him, for federal crimes (I'm betting tax evasion is going to come to light), he is already under investigation by the state of NY.  Only NY's governor could pardon him for those crimes, if he's found guilty.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.2.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Raven Wing @4.2    4 years ago

Not to deflect from the topic, but, wasn't some of the charges against Flynn Federal crimes? If so, from what I have read, Trump can't legally pardon him. That is what I understood. So how will Flynn walk free?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.3  TᵢG  replied to  Raven Wing @4.2.2    4 years ago

I do not know the what limitations exist on presidential pardons, but I would find it a major screw-up if a PotUS is legally allowed to self-pardon.  

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.2.4  Raven Wing  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.2.1    4 years ago
I believe it's the other way around.  He can only pardon federal crimes; state crimes do not fall under his jurisdiction

Ahh thanks sandy. My glasses broke and so I am only reading and typing out of one side, so I am somewhat off kilter today. You are right, I do have it backwards. I guess that is why he was able to pardon Flynn. 

Thanks for the correction sandy. jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.2.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  Raven Wing @4.2.4    4 years ago

No problem.  Hope you can get your glasses fixed soon - I know it's a pain to be without them.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.2.6  sandy-2021492  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.3    4 years ago
I would find it a major screw-up if a PotUS is legally allowed to self-pardon.  

From all I can find to read on the subject, it is not at all certain that he can't self-pardon.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.2.7  Raven Wing  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.3    4 years ago
but I would find it a major screw-up if a PotUS is legally allowed to self-pardon.  

I am sure Trump will do his best to pardon himself, even if he legally can't. Whether or not he can get away with it would be up to the proper authorities. However, I don't think he can.

I guess we will have to wait and see how it goes as he leaves the WH.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.2.8  Raven Wing  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.2.5    4 years ago
I know it's a pain to be without them.

Thanks sandy. It is only on one side, but, the good lense is on the less than good eye. So it is sort of like having dyslexia in a way, things don't look like they should sometimes. jrSmiley_30_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.9  Texan1211  replied to  Raven Wing @4.2.2    4 years ago
Not to deflect from the topic, but, wasn't some of the charges against Flynn Federal crimes? If so, from what I have read, Trump can't legally pardon him. That is what I understood. So how will Flynn walk free?

A President may pardon individuals for federal crimes.

Federal pardons in the United States - Wikipedia

federal pardon in the United States is the action of the President of the United States that completely sets aside the punishment for a federal crime. The authority to take such action is granted to the president by Article II, Section 2, Clause 1 of the U.S. Constitution. A pardon is one form of the clemency power of the president, the others being commutation of sentence, remission of fine or restitution, and reprieve.[1]

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4.2.10  cjcold  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.2.1    4 years ago

Trump's money laundering crimes will fall under several jurisdictions.

It will likely take years to unravel Trump's criminal empire.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4.2.11  cjcold  replied to  cjcold @4.2.10    4 years ago

I imagine that New York State will have first dibs.

Suffice to say, Trump will be spending the rest of his life in court/prison.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.2.12  Bob Nelson  replied to  cjcold @4.2.11    4 years ago

It'll be interesting to follow. 

Former French President Nicholas Sarkozy is on trial right now, for trying to influence a criminal investigation. Insignificant next to Trump's many cases. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4.2.13  bbl-1  replied to  cjcold @4.2.10    4 years ago

Years?  Not sure about that.  The so called 'unraveling' has been undergoing for years.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
4.2.14  Gsquared  replied to  cjcold @4.2.11    4 years ago
Trump will be spending the rest of his life in court/prison

And deservedly so. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.2.15  Snuffy  replied to  Gsquared @4.2.14    4 years ago

Maybe.  A lot of people have been all over the place in wishes that he be locked up but all I seem to hear is a lot of noise out of SDNY. I don't think much will come of it, there will be a lot of money spent on investigations and maybe some small charges where a fine is levied, but I doubt if any prison time will come of it all.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
4.2.16  Gsquared  replied to  Snuffy @4.2.15    4 years ago
I doubt if any prison time will come of it all

Maybe not.  What, if anything, comes out of it all remains to be seen.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5  bbl-1    4 years ago

I voted 'something else'. 

1.  I suspect he will simply pardon everyone and everything that could possibly connect him to anything.

2.  I also suspect he is confident that the GOP will never permit a serious federal investigation or indictment to be levied against him.

3.  There is also a possibility that he believes that any recriminations against himself, his family or his businesses may result in destruction and violence by portions of his base which will cause law enforcement to back away.

But there is also this.  He has very large debts, many of which are coming due and the holders of those debts are as yet unknown.  It could be possible that 'these holders' are of a nefarious sort and he may find himself in situations which are totally untenable.   And---it is this that will ultimately destroy everything connected to the name of Trump.  

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.1  cjcold  replied to  bbl-1 @5    4 years ago

After 1/20 Mueller will likely file many felony charges against Trump. He's been patiently waiting.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  cjcold @5.1    4 years ago

I've been musing about that myself.  I do not think the 'investigation' is OVER.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Gsquared  replied to  cjcold @5.1    4 years ago

Mueller resigned his post as special counsel on May 29, 2019.  Therefore, he no longer has the power to file charges.  Whether or not to file federal charges against Trump would have to be up to others in the Department of Justice.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  cjcold @5.1    4 years ago

I would love to see your theory that Mueller can file charges be explained.

This might be good!

Gsquared
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Gsquared  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.3    4 years ago

President Biden's Attorney General Sally Yates (or whoever he happens to nominate) re-appoints Mueller as special counsel. 

Theory explained. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  Gsquared @5.1.4    4 years ago

Well, gee, lots of folks CAN be appointed.

I was talking more about PROBABLITIES, not pie-in-the-sky fantasies.

No way, IMO, Democrats ever "appoint" Mueller for anything after he failed to find evidence of collusion after Democrats crowing about it for years.

Surely the Democrats would want someone more competent.

Or maybe not......

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5.1.6  bbl-1  replied to  Gsquared @5.1.4    4 years ago

Or------Appoints Hillary Clinton as Special Council.  She is qualified.  Actually, well qualified.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
5.1.7  Gsquared  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.5    4 years ago

You were asking for a theory about how Mueller can file charges.   

Or maybe not.....

I don't think Mueller would take the job if it was offered to him.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
5.1.8  Gsquared  replied to  bbl-1 @5.1.6    4 years ago

That would be poetic justice.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5.1.9  Raven Wing  replied to  Gsquared @5.1.7    4 years ago
I don't think Mueller would take the job if it was offered to him.

Neither do I. However, he just might take it to get revenge on Trump for all the nasty and hateful things Trump said about him during the investigation. 

Yet again, I think Mueller is to big a man to lower himself to do that. Let some other fool do the job.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  Gsquared @5.1.7    4 years ago
You were asking for a theory about how Mueller can file charges.   

I was hoping for something a little more concrete that a bunch of ignorant "what-ifs" and wishful thinking on the part of the poster who actually stated it, but I see you seem to have a ready-list of "what-ifs" and "could-bes" to "explain" what the poster really meant.

Carry on!

Gsquared
Professor Principal
5.1.11  Gsquared  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.10    4 years ago
a ready-list of "what-ifs" and "could-bes"

Really.  I must have missed the "list" somehow.   

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  Gsquared @5.1.11    4 years ago

read it again if necessary

Gsquared
Professor Principal
5.1.13  Gsquared  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.12    4 years ago

No, I'll pass.  Your comment is meaningless.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.14  Tessylo  replied to  Gsquared @5.1.13    4 years ago
"No, I'll pass.  Your comment is meaningless."

They all are.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.15  Texan1211  replied to  Gsquared @5.1.13    4 years ago

Then why are you responding?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.16  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.14    4 years ago

It isn't my job to explain everything.

If you don't think my posts have any meaning, why do you spend time reading them?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.2  MrFrost  replied to  bbl-1 @5    4 years ago

Most of trumps legal issues after he leaves office will be at the state level which cannot be pardoned and President Biden has already state that he would not pardon trump for anything. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5.2.1  bbl-1  replied to  MrFrost @5.2    4 years ago

Biden does not have to do anything.  Trumps' legal issues are of his own making.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.2.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  bbl-1 @5.2.1    4 years ago

It would be contrary to his "let's come together" message  for Biden to initiate legal action against any political adversary.

Trump's call for extralegal imprisonment of his opponents - "Lock her up!" - has been one of the most blatant demonstrations of his leaning towards fascism. 

There are plenty of other entities that have legal standing, and reasons for bringing actions against Trump. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

I voted "something else" because I believe he will TRY to pardon himself, hoping that the SCOTUS will permit it.  Had he not succeeded in his final appontment to the SCOTUS, I believe he would have been laughed out of the court, but since he DID succeed, I'm not so sure.

Dig
Professor Participates
6.1  author  Dig  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6    4 years ago

If he tries to pardon himself and fails, his fall back position will surely be resigning so Pence can save him.

That'll take time, though. Especially if the Court has to get involved. If that's his plan, he'll need to put it in motion pretty soon.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  Dig @6.1    4 years ago

Logical, but I cannot imagine Trump resigning.   I do not think his ego would allow it.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Dig @6.1    4 years ago

I really doubt he'll resign, for several reasons.  The first is his ego.  Second - a Pence pardon will be limited to federal crimes.  Pence can't protect him from prosecution or sentencing for state crimes.  And I'm betting there are some state crimes he's committed that carry pretty severe penalties.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6.1.3  bbl-1  replied to  Dig @6.1    4 years ago

In other words, Trump is desperately seeking a 'glide path'.

I also suspect Trump's confidence in ( the courts ) are about to be shaken.  The reality of all of this is the plain simple fact that, "Trump is just worth it."

Dig
Professor Participates
6.1.4  author  Dig  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.1.2    4 years ago
Second - a Pence pardon will be limited to federal crimes.

Wouldn't a self pardon be as well? The only difference would be who issues it, right? I was thinking a pardon would only save him from federal prosecution, either way. I don't know if anything can save him from SDNY once he's out of office.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.1.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  Dig @6.1.4    4 years ago

Yes, but with a self-pardon, he wouldn't have to resign, which his ego can't handle.  He might be screwed either way, but a self-pardon wouldn't be quite as big a blow to his ego.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
6.1.6  Raven Wing  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.1    4 years ago
I do not think his ego would allow it.

I dunno TIG. I wonder if his ego would be less hurtful if he were arrested and put on trial, than resign and let Pence save him. 

That might be a a bit of a bit to consider.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
6.1.7  Raven Wing  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.1.5    4 years ago

But, as President, would he not be allowed to pardon himself for Federal crimes? 

This is a bit confusing.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.8  TᵢG  replied to  Raven Wing @6.1.6    4 years ago

I think his ego leads him into irrational acts.    Case in point, the past few weeks.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.1.9  sandy-2021492  replied to  Raven Wing @6.1.7    4 years ago
But, as President, would he not be allowed to pardon himself for Federal crimes? 

Yes, but regardless of whether Pence pardons him, or he pardons himself, SDNY may still come after him.  He would be equally in trouble either way.  With a self-pardon, he'd still be in trouble, but with ego slightly more intact.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
6.1.10  Raven Wing  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.8    4 years ago
I think his ego leads him into irrational acts. 

I totally agree TiG. The court in PA State Supreme Court has put a hold on certifying the vote for Biden, and Trump says, "Big News", as if even if he wins PA he will win the election.

Pennsylvania judge orders HALT to certifying election results

Trump is so set on being the winner of the election that he has become totally mentally imbalanced by the fact that there is no way he can win the election at this point.

Plus, I wonder who has threatened the female judge and perhaps her family who has suddenly put the wrench on the works at the very last minute? It does not make sense that this should happen at this point, unless Trumps shadow army is throwing out some threats like they have so many others, one being the GSA.

And Trump did say he would not stop fighting, and this may be just one means to his fighting. I for one would not put it past him. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
6.1.11  Raven Wing  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.1.9    4 years ago
SDNY may still come after him.  He would be equally in trouble either way. 

That is what I understand might happen, and I see no reason at this point why they would not pursue it. I don't think he can do a carte blanc self-pardon, can he? Would he not have to name each crime separately?

Dig
Professor Participates
6.1.12  author  Dig  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.1    4 years ago
I cannot imagine Trump resigning.   I do not think his ego would allow it.

Oh, he'll do it as long as he thinks he can save face. He'll tell his supporters that he HAS to do it, to put and end to the 'witch hunt' or something. Whatever he has to say to blame it on the Dems and turn himself into a victim in the eyes of his supporters.

Then he can start a TV channel, bitch about it for years, and rake in millions, maybe even billions by fleecing his flock. You know, like all upstanding con men do.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
6.1.13  Raven Wing  replied to  Dig @6.1.12    4 years ago
Then he can start a TV channel, bitch about it for years, and rake in millions, maybe even billions by fleecing his flock. You know, like all upstanding con men do.

You mean, be another Rush Limbaugh? Do nothing but tell lies and misinformation? I would bet he would hire Hannity as one of his commentators, as he is one of Trumps best lap dogs.

Dig
Professor Participates
6.1.14  author  Dig  replied to  Raven Wing @6.1.13    4 years ago
I would bet he would hire Hannity as one of his commentators, as he is one of Trumps best lap dogs.

No doubt.

All the 'best people'...

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6.1.15  cjcold  replied to  bbl-1 @6.1.3    4 years ago
Trump is desperately seeking a 'glide path'.

And Trump isn't a pimple on the ass of Scully when it comes to smooth landings.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
6.1.16  Gsquared  replied to  Dig @6.1.4    4 years ago

SDNY refers to the Southern District of New York, which is a branch of he U.S. Department of Justice.  If Trump receives a valid pardon, SDNY would not be able to prosecute.   However, the state and local prosecutors in New York could.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.1.17  Sean Treacy  replied to  Dig @6.1.4    4 years ago
on't know if anything can save him from SDNY once he's out of office.

This is good stuff.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6.1.18  MrFrost  replied to  Sean Treacy @6.1.17    4 years ago

It is indeed. Trump was hopeful that he would be reelected, (for many reasons), because after another 4 years, the statute of limitations would have ran out for the vast majority of his crimes in SDNY. As it is, he will not have that protection since he lost the election. 

Dig
Professor Participates
6.1.19  author  Dig  replied to  Gsquared @6.1.16    4 years ago
SDNY refers to the Southern District of New York, which is a branch of he U.S. Department of Justice

Oh yeah, that's right. I confused the acronym with other NY things like SUNY and CUNY. I meant the state prosecutors, though.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.1.20  sandy-2021492  replied to  Dig @6.1.19    4 years ago

I made the same mistake.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
6.1.21  Gsquared  replied to  Dig @6.1.19    4 years ago
I meant the state prosecutors

I figured you did.  There are just too many acronyms floating around.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
6.1.22  Gsquared  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.1.20    4 years ago

Easy to do.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6    4 years ago

Now that I've seen that Amy Barrett reversed a decision of Ruth Bader Ginsburg without giving reasons, I think I'm more concerned that the SCOTUS might, even in the face of an absolute victory by Biden, install Trump as the winner.  If that DOES happen, even as unlikely as it may be, then IMO America will have degraded itself into being a banana republic and the laughing stock of the whole world, even the banana republics of the world - "Welcome to our club" they will say. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.1  TᵢG  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2    4 years ago

Do not be concerned;  not going to happen.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
6.2.2  Raven Wing  replied to  TᵢG @6.2.1    4 years ago

I just read where Trump says:

"He’ll Give Up Power if Electoral College Backs Biden"

Now that makes me wonder what kind of trickery he has up his sleeve. I have a feeling that he plans to make sure that the EC does NOT back Biden. He has had his vicious armed militias threaten others to falsify election results, to lie about instances of election fraud, and try to dump or discount ballots in order to affect the votes in order to prevent Biden from winning. When that did not work he has tried a few other nasty tricks that also failed. 

So the best thing he can do is to get the EC to NOT back Biden and throw that in the works.

As he has thrown that so casually out on the table now makes it obvious that he is going to do something underhanded to try throw the election in his favor if he can.

I'm sorry. I'm a suspicious sort, and it's just that something smells to high heaven in Denmark with that promise.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.3  TᵢG  replied to  Raven Wing @6.2.2    4 years ago
So the best thing he can do is to get the EC to NOT back Biden and throw that in the works.

He may have some ill-conceived plan, but it is not going to work.   He is a bully and a liar but he is not a genius tactician who will be able to get D electors to go faithless and vote for him.

His statement as shown is, however, the truth.   If the EC ends up with 270 or more votes for Biden (which it will) then Trump will give up power.   He will have no choice.   It is not his option.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
6.2.4  Raven Wing  replied to  TᵢG @6.2.3    4 years ago
He is a bully and a liar but he is not a genius tactician who will be able to get D electors to go faithless and vote for him.

I totally agree, TiG.  It's just that he is such despicable individual and not afraid to sic his moron brain dead gangs on those he does not like, that I would not put anything past him as desperate as he is at this point. 

I hope that the transition will go off without any unnecessary meanness going forward. No sense in anyone getting hurt when there is nothing to be gained. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.5  TᵢG  replied to  Raven Wing @6.2.4    4 years ago

I think we are good now.   Trump, it seems, has accepted reality and, other than exercising every friggin' power he can before he is out of office, he is likely focused on pending legal and business troubles and plans for continuing his celebrity out of office.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
6.2.6  Gsquared  replied to  TᵢG @6.2.5    4 years ago

I feel confident about the result.  Trump is blustering, fund raising and trying to save face.  He can still cause a lot of damage on his way out, and we should expect that he will, but I agree that we are good now as far as getting rid of Trump is concerned.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
7  Ronin2    4 years ago

After the Clinton and Obama mass pardons for various reasons; the left take it's pearl clenching and shove it.

Whatever Trump does the TDS sufferers will bitch. At this point he should do whatever makes him happy; and causes the most suffering to the TDS driven left.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7.1  bbl-1  replied to  Ronin2 @7    4 years ago

What ever about the Clinton/Obama pardons-----at least none of those involved Russians and dirty money.   Or adult film actresses and Playboy models.  And what else is there we do not know about? 

However I will admit one pardon by Clinton did involve a 'moneyed' dude.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.2  MrFrost  replied to  Ronin2 @7    4 years ago
After the Clinton and Obama mass pardons for various reasons; the left take it's pearl clenching and shove it.

I guess I missed the part when Obama pardoned himself. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
9  Hal A. Lujah    4 years ago

I see a trip to Mother Russia in Trump’s near future, which he does not return from.

devangelical
Professor Principal
9.1  devangelical  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @9    4 years ago

... there's some financial documents he needs to sign ..., in person ...

quick, switch out his secret service detail for the fundies and loyalists.

Trotsky's Spectre
Freshman Silent
10  Trotsky's Spectre    4 years ago

Donald Trump is a law unto himself. And while those who associate this with malignant narcissism are not incorrect technically, I think it is more accurate to say that Trump is an anarchist.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
10.1  bbl-1  replied to  Trotsky's Spectre @10    4 years ago

Or---simply a man who is afraid, insecure, in reality-broke arse and realizing he walked into something he never considered real or seriously thought about.  In other words, a knucklehead akin to a deer in the headlights.

CB
Professor Principal
11  CB    4 years ago

I will read this article and comment down the list accordingly in the light of Friday. Hey, I just listened to Trump's Thanksgiving "talk" with the media from the White House. It is my opinion that Donald Trump is going crazy before our eyes. Seriously, Donald Trump appears to be stark-raving delusional and melting down before the our eyes-mentally. His lies were always numerous and over the top; but if you can believe it he has multiplied the amount of lies one can pack into a single "setting" astronomically.

See you Friday morning.