╌>

Trump snaps at Reuters reporter for asking about conceding election

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  46 comments

By:   Courtney Subramanian (USA TODAY)

Trump snaps at Reuters reporter for asking about conceding election
"I'm the president of the United States. Don't ever talk to the president that way," Trump said as he continued to lash out at Mason before moving on to "another question."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Courtney SubramanianUSA TODAY

WASHINGTON - President Donald Trump on Thursday angrily admonished a reporter for asking him whether he would concede the election once the Electoral College formally votes to make Democrat Joe Biden the next president, calling the journalist a "lightweight."

Trump evaded the question by arguing that the Electoral College would make "a mistake" by voting for Biden and leveled more baseless claims about voter fraud. As Trump continued to repeat unfounded claims, Jeff Mason of Reuters pressed him to answer whether he would concede.

"Don't talk to me that way," Trump snapped. "You're just a lightweight. Don't talk to me that way."

Trump's combative exchange with reporters after a Thanksgiving call with troops stationed overseas was the first time he took questions since he lost the Nov. 3 election more than three weeks ago.

"I'm the president of the United States. Don't ever talk to the president that way," Trump said as he continued to lash out at Mason before moving on to "another question."

'Take it off':Trump requested a White House reporter remove his mask while asking a question. He didn't.

States must certify their votes before the Electoral College meets on Dec. 14 - many already have - and resolve all challenges to the outcome by Dec. 8.

Though he said he would continue his legal fights over the election results in states such as Pennsylvania and Michigan, Trump later acknowledged that he would leave the White House if the Electoral College formally recognizes President-elect Biden.

"Certainly I will. Certainly I will. and you know that," Trump said, adding that it would be "very hard" to concede.

The president's remarks were his first in recognizing the need for a peaceful transfer of power, a question that has hung over the country since Biden was declared the winner.

Trump has previously clashed with Mason, a former president of the White House Correspondents' Association, in several exchanges throughout his presidency. Trump mocked Mason in September when the reporter refused to take off his mask while asking the president a question.

He also argued with Mason last year during a press conference with Finland's President Sauli Niinisto when Mason pressed Trump on his call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, the call that launched his impeachment.

Contributing: John Fritze

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago

As his latest absurdity, Donald Trump is trying to cloak himself in the imbedded dignity of his office. 

He should have thought of that before he spent the last 5 years playing the buffoon , as president of the United States, and before he chose to lie to the American people thousands of times as president of the United States. He is fortunate that very few if any reporters and interviewers have plainly confronted him about his pathological lying. That has allowed him to try to play the victim of an unfair press. 

Trump should resign from office today. He has disgraced his office in a way and to an extent that no other president in history ever has. 

Sadly, too many conservatives and even some moderates and independents have played down Trump's glaring unfitness for office. Now he feels emboldened to stick around for four more years acting like a government in exile. 

Too many people have enabled this travesty against our country and some continue to do so. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago
Sadly, too many conservatives and even some moderates and independents have played down Trump's glaring unfitness for office. Now he feels emboldened to stick around for four more years acting like a government in exile. 

Oh BS. Just because moderates and independents don't obsess about Trump, doesn't mean we enabled him. We just stuck him into the proper perspective. If it wasn't for our vote, he would still be in office. 

Get over it!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2    4 years ago

Keep telling yourself that as we have to continue listening to this asshole every day for four more years. Not enough people opposed him from the beginning. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    4 years ago

John, you have a real knack for alienating people who agree with you.  There are plenty of moderates and independents here who opposed Trump right from the start.  Perrie is one of them.  She doesn't have to post 5 seeds a day about how bad he is to prove that she knows how bad he is.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    4 years ago
Keep telling yourself that as we have to continue listening to this asshole every day for four more years.

WTF? Seriously?

Not enough people opposed him from the beginning. 

Maybe too many people opposed Hillary?

Ever look at it THAT way?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1.1    4 years ago

There are a handful of people on this site that have spoken out constantly against Trump since the day he took office. A handful.  We are the ones that take the most criticism here. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.3    4 years ago
There are a handful of people on this site that have spoken out constantly against Trump since the day he took office. A handful.  We are the ones that take the most criticism here. 

Maybe it is the level of vitriol on display.

Maybe it is because the same old arguments or declarations have been made every single day while Trump has been President, and some even before.

Maybe it is the continual harassment and criticisms of people who simply aren't as ate up with hating Trump as some of the "handful".

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.3    4 years ago

It's true, not everybody is obsessed with speaking out about Trump 24/7, with every comment they make.  Perhaps your standards are too high.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.6  Gordy327  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.3    4 years ago
There are a handful of people on this site that have spoken out constantly against Trump since the day he took office.

There are those who spoke out for Trump since he took office too. Both equally annoying.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.7  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1.6    4 years ago
Both equally annoying.

Very interesting reveal. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.8  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.4    4 years ago

Donald Trump has never, for one minute , been fit to hold the office of president of the United States. Just because not everyone reaffirms that fact every day does not make it any less true.

Trump's critics caused him lose this election, not those who took a different perspective. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1.9  sandy-2021492  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.8    4 years ago
Trump's critics caused him lose this election,

Yes, as Perrie said.  Some of those critics are independents and moderates.  A vote doesn't count more based on the vehemence of the voter's views, or the frequency of the expression of those views.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.8    4 years ago
Donald Trump has never, for one minute , been fit to hold the office of president of the United States.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. We all have one, after all.

Just because not everyone reaffirms that fact every day does not make it any less true.

Just because a handful bleat the same nonsense day after day after day, never wavering, doesn't make it true.

Trump's critics caused him lose this election, not those who took a different perspective. 

Yes, JR, I KNOW Trump lost this election. I can tell that is still unsatisfactory to you. Otherwise you would be happy and not posting the exact same crap as you did before the election. You have a real knack for attacking people opposed to Trump because they aren't as vociferous as you. You have convinced no one, I venture, with the daily rants filled with Trump hate, of anything at all.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.11  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1.9    4 years ago

Trump has never been fit to hold office. He should have been removed a long long time ago. The willingness of too many good people to go along to get along for almost four years prevented justice from taking place earlier than this recent election. 

I am completey confident history will agree with me. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.12  Gordy327  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.8    4 years ago
Donald Trump has never, for one minute , been fit to hold the office of president of the United States.

I'm no fan of Trump, but from a constitutional standpoint, he is. That doesn't mean he's competent enough to do the job effectively though.

I'd say it was Trump's poor handling of the pandemic and resulting economic downturn that cost him the election. Had he taken the pandemic seriously, he might have won reelection.

Very interesting reveal. 

It's no secret.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.13  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.10    4 years ago

As I have told you interminable times, I do not hate Trump. He's a complete asshole, and a disgrace to this country, but I dont hate him. I dont hate anyone and if I was going to it would not be someone that I do not personally know.

I just never agreed to accept him . History will prove me, and people like me right, of course. 

After Trump was impeached he should have not been permitted to obtain the Republican nomination for a second term.  It is to the Republican Party's everlasting shame that they allowed him to be their nominee in 2020. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.14  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1.12    4 years ago
I'd say it was Trump's poor handling of the pandemic and resulting economic downturn that cost him the election. Had he taken the pandemic seriously, he might have won reelection.

Trump is not now nor has he ever been fit to hold office. He is a known serial liar, a crook, a bigot, a moron, and a cheat. And more. 

What happened to this country that so many people were and are willing to tolerate him in office ? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.15  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.13    4 years ago
As I have told you interminable times, I do not hate Trump. He's a complete asshole, and a disgrace to this country, but I dont hate him. I dont hate anyone and if I was going to it would not be someone that I do not personally know.

Your posts and seeds kind of speak for themselves on that. If it isn't pure hatred, then it must be obsession.

I just never agreed to accept him . History will prove me, and people like me right, of course. 

History will show Trump was President, and your "acceptance" of well-known and easily-recognizable facts to the rest of the world has precious little to do with it.

After Trump was impeached he should have not been permitted to obtain the Republican nomination for a second term.  It is to the Republican Party's everlasting shame that they allowed him to be their nominee in 2020. 

Yes, you have expressed your opinions many times.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1.16  sandy-2021492  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.11    4 years ago
The willingness of too many good people to go along to get along

Well, I'm sure if we'd made just a few more comments on social media, he'd have been removed from office.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.17  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1.16    4 years ago

Everything that happens is cumulative. 

In any case I dont see the particular gratification involved in being able to say " I was even handed about Trump". 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.18  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.15    4 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.19  Texan1211  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1.16    4 years ago
Well, I'm sure if we'd made just a few more comments on social media, he'd have been removed from office.

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.20  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.15    4 years ago

One thing I regret about this forum is having to tolerate your dumb ass comments so often. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1.21  sandy-2021492  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.17    4 years ago
In any case I dont see the particular gratification involved in being able to say " I was even handed about Trump". 

Not necessarily "even handed".  Just aware that I can say that I, too, can think Trump is unfit for office, and have that opinion be just as understood by others whether I say it once or twice per week as compared to a dozen times per day.

Gazoo
Junior Silent
2.1.22  Gazoo  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.15    4 years ago

”Yes, you have expressed your opinions many times.“

lol, and as you noted, they are merely an opinion, not fact.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.23  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.20    4 years ago
One thing I regret about this forum is having to tolerate your dumb ass comments so often. 

here are some options to help you with your dilemma:

1. Ignore me. There currently exists a way for you to do so, should you choose to take advantage of it. Whining about it and doing nothing about it is counterproductive to me.

2. Flag my comments and have them removed if you see fit to do so.

3. Don't post anything you don't want responses to. These are open forums for members, which I am. 

4. Don't read my comments if solutions 1, 2, and 3 won't work for you.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.25  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.14    4 years ago
What happened to this country that so many people were and are willing to tolerate him in office ? 

You might consider taking some time to ponder that very question. What did happen to this country? You recognize that people have been merely "tolerating" him. I think that is accurate. So they must have some powerful reasons for voting for him. Maybe instead of just dismissing them as racist, stupid, or evil, you might consider the possibility that millions of people had just cause to be dissatisfied with the status quo.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2    4 years ago
We just stuck him into the proper perspective.

What perspective is that? 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3  Greg Jones    4 years ago

Being the founder of a popular populist movement of over 73,000,000 righteous and patriotic legal American citizens, his influence will continue and grow. Obama has tried this, but without success.

Like Perrie said, get over it....your guy won.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
4  lady in black    4 years ago

"King Lord and Master" orange conman has spoken, away with you peasants.  

devangelical
Professor Principal
5  devangelical    4 years ago
"I'm the president of the United States. Don't ever talk to the president that way,"

election loser

one term president

impreached

lost popular vote twice

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @5    4 years ago

But still your President for almost the last 4 years now.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
5.1.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1    4 years ago
But still your President for almost the last 4 years now.

Surely you are not bragging about it, are you?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5.1.1    4 years ago

Is THAT the way you read that?

LOL!

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.2  Gordy327  replied to  devangelical @5    4 years ago

You forgot super spreader

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.2.1  devangelical  replied to  Gordy327 @5.2    4 years ago

largest single year US civilian death toll of any president in american history.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.2.2  Gordy327  replied to  devangelical @5.2.1    4 years ago
largest single year US civilian death toll of any president in american history.

For a comparison, 9-11 killed about 3000 people. the pandemic killed about 250,000 in this country. That's 83 9-11s.

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.2.3  devangelical  replied to  Gordy327 @5.2.2    4 years ago

the twin towers, twice a week ...

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6  Bob Nelson    4 years ago

I really think all anti-Trump should keep in mind that the Trumpists will be back. Again and again. The President's behavior since election day - supported by almost all Republicans - proves that he will abuse the law if he has the opportunity. The TrumpTrueBelievers will be back in 2022, and every two years from now to forever.

The Republican hold on the Supreme Court is permanent. The Republican hold on the Senate is permanent.

Democracy in America depends on Democrats holding the House and the Presidency. If the Republicans ever... ever... get control of those two institutions... they will never let go.

So... maybe squabbling among anti-Trump people is not a very good idea... 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @6    4 years ago
Democracy in America depends on Democrats holding the House and the Presidency. If the Republicans ever...ever... get control of those two institutions... they will never let go.

Nice fantasy. Did you dream that up last night while sleeping?

The Republican hold on the Supreme Court is permanent. The Republican hold on the Senate is permanent.

Shows a real clear lack of understanding about SCOTUS and control of same. And I will refer you to elections held every two years for Senate seats. Are you saying that only the GOP can win those seats every election?

charger 383
Professor Silent
7  charger 383    4 years ago

Both 9-11 and the virus started outside the USA

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
7.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  charger 383 @7    4 years ago
Both 9-11 and the virus started outside the USA

It seems to me that the strongest nation in the world should have been better prepared for both.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @7.1    4 years ago

Exactly how do you prepare for something you don't know exists?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago

test