╌>

Because there are paranoid, ignorant Trump supporters, Georgians will no longer be allowed to receive water during their 5 hour wait to vote

Category:  Op/Ed

By:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  185 comments

Because there are paranoid, ignorant Trump supporters, Georgians will no longer be allowed to receive water during their 5 hour wait to vote

The state of Georgia has a new voting law, which their governor says was necessary because people in his state were losing faith in the results of elections. 

Not coincidentally, this loss of faith in elections aligns with the fact that Trump lost Georgia in last November's presidential vote.

Now the Republican run state government in Georgia has passed a bill, which the governor signed, that makes it illegal for anyone to give food or water to people waiting in line to vote. 

This sounds ludicrous, of course, but understand that people sometimes wait up to five hours to vote in Georgia, as the state cuts the number of polling places.  Clearly the hope of the Republicans is that without water during a five hour wait some of those people (largely racial minorities) will become frustrated or upset and leave the line. 

Records show the long lines taking place more often in minority precincts. 

President Biden has called the new law "an atrocity" and legal experts say it will be struck down by the courts.  

The Republican Party in Georgia has decided to wear their white sheets in the open. 

There is also a provision in the law that will give control over elections to a legislature appointed panel instead of the Secretary Of State.  Had this "panel" which would currently be controlled by Republicans been in existence in November, it might have been able to reverse Biden's win in the state, and also Offoff and Warnock's wins for senator. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Trump is emerging from his lair and getting involved again, and his submissives in the Georgia GOP took their cue. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
2  bugsy    3 years ago

This is just plain bullshit.

The law says that political campaigns and entities cannot pass out food or drink to voters who are in line.

Nothing is stopping voters from bringing their own food or drink to elections.

We know most liberals think minorities can't get IDs without white liberal help.

We know most liberals think minorities can't get to a voting place without white liberal help, and now,

Most liberals think minorities don't know how to bring food or drink to a voting event.

Is there anything liberals think minorities CAN do without the help of white liberals?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  bugsy @2    3 years ago

“No person shall solicit votes in any manner or by any means or method, nor shall any person distribute or display any campaign material, nor shall any person give , offer to give, or participate in the giving of any money or gifts, including, but not limited to, food and drink, to an elector.”

Georgia Republicans want to make it a crime to give food, drinks to voters in line - TheGrio : TheGrio

exexpatnowinTX
Freshman Quiet
2.1.1  exexpatnowinTX  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    3 years ago
 “No person shall solicit votes in any manner or by any means or method,

What's the problem with that?

nor shall any person distribute or display any campaign material,

I believe that's already the law in all other states.  Why is it only being implemented in Georgia now?

nor shall any person give , offer to give, or participate in the giving of any money or gifts, including, but not limited to, food and drink, to an elector.”

Understandable.  Giving money or gifts can be considered buying votes and is illegal in all other states.  Again, why is this only now being implemented in Georgia?  As to the food and drink, many times people that give that out seem to appear in a political type T-shirt or the bottle or wrapper has a political slogan.  That's known in other places as electioneering and is, can you guess, ILLEGAL?

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.2  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    3 years ago
nor shall any person give , offer to give, or participate in the giving of any money or gifts, including, but not limited to, food and drink, to an elector.”

They don't want political entities giving food or water because in essence, it is a bribe for a vote.

There is no wonder the left is predominately OK with that.

Smart people bring their own water to vote....or to go anywhere there may be a wait.

Do most white liberals think minorities are not smart enough to do that?

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.3  CB  replied to  bugsy @2.1.2    3 years ago
Do most white liberals think minorities are not smart enough to do that?

Who gives a flying "F-word" what you think about minorities intelligence? If it had amounted to electioneering and it is illegal then of course it should not be allowed. On the other hand if it was an a 'regular' water and food supplement, since lines can be overwhelming - that becomes a issue all its own.

I don't live in Georgia, but it behooves Georgians to see to themselves what bull patty is occurring and to not allow their votes to be disenfranchised by anybody-even other Georgians!

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.4  bugsy  replied to  CB @2.1.3    3 years ago
On the other hand if it was an a 'regular' water and food supplement, since lines can be overwhelming - that becomes a issue all its own.

The bill was passed to not allow for POLITICAL ENTITIES to not give out food or water. THAT IS ELECTIONEERING.

What part of this can you not understand?

pat wilson
Professor Participates
2.1.5  pat wilson  replied to  bugsy @2.1.4    3 years ago

ELECTIONEERING.

Please.

If someone has enough conviction to stand in line and wait to vote they're not likely to change their vote because of a free bottle of water.

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.6  bugsy  replied to  pat wilson @2.1.5    3 years ago

So what is your beef then?

pat wilson
Professor Participates
2.1.7  pat wilson  replied to  bugsy @2.1.6    3 years ago

I don't have a beef. I'm laughing at your "ELECTIONEERING" nonsense.

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.8  bugsy  replied to  pat wilson @2.1.7    3 years ago
I'm laughing at your "ELECTIONEERING" nonsense.

So explain why...

And please make it coherent.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.2  Greg Jones  replied to  bugsy @2    3 years ago

These voters can also choose to vote early and vote by mail. They have so much more time now.

Only idiots wait until the last minute and stand in long lines.

Thinking that minorities can't register and vote without the help of white liberals is a condescending and racist notion

CB
Professor Principal
2.2.1  CB  replied to  Greg Jones @2.2    3 years ago

Okay, is this the new 'insult' from some conservatives? Is there to be no end to these pathetic, juvenile, activities to not extend freedom to all Americans. How about some conservatives not obsessing over what minorities are properly doing to make life work?

If liberals are outvoting some conservatives why not just out vote liberals (back)? See - fixed it!

If this cheating and meddling is all that is the future of the voting franchise in this country: I say BOYCOTT GEORGIA!

Liberals STOP going to work. BRING THE STATE TO A STAND STILL NOW!

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.2.2  bugsy  replied to  CB @2.2.1    3 years ago
Liberals STOP going to work. BRING THE STATE TO A STAND STILL NOW!

I can assure you that is liberals decide to not go to work, it will be called Wednesday....or Thursday....or pretty much any weekday.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.2.3  Greg Jones  replied to  CB @2.2.1    3 years ago

It's designed to prevent fraudulent voting.

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.4  Texan1211  replied to  CB @2.2.1    3 years ago
BOYCOTT GEORGIA! Liberals STOP going to work.BRING THE STATE TO A STAND STILL NOW!

Please do, and be sure to get all of your friends to do likewise.

Should be very, very helpful for people to miss work, get lower checks, and possibly lose their jobs because of a boycott.

Sounds like real good sense to me!

Not surprising at all.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.5  Texan1211  replied to  CB @2.2.1    3 years ago
Liberals STOP going to work.BRING THE STATE TO A STAND STILL NOW!

Well, at least then they could possibly find time to vote in the allotted time. Perfect!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.6  Texan1211  replied to  CB @2.2.1    3 years ago
If this cheating and meddling is all that is the future of the voting franchise in this country: I sayBOYCOTT GEORGIA!

You claim this is somehow cheating.

You need to explain how any of this is cheating, and who is doing the cheating and who is being cheated.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
3  Hal A. Lujah    3 years ago

Water in line is the least of their worries.  This bill basically turns what [Deleted]  wanted to do but couldn’t into what they will be able to do next time around.  It took almost no time at all for a lawsuit to be filed over this trash legislation.

There is also a provision in the law that will give control over elections to a legislature appointed panel instead of the Secretary Of State.”

[Per the CoC: "Labeling and/or creative name-calling of entire political groups, ideological, religious, cultural, sexual identity / orientation, etc. groups (i.e. Rethuglicans, Libtards, etc), is forbidden."]

exexpatnowinTX
Freshman Quiet
3.1  exexpatnowinTX  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @3    3 years ago
There is also a provision in the law that will give control over elections to a legislature appointed panel instead of the Secretary Of State.”

You're saying that the legislature does not want the Secretary of State to sign an illegal consent decree circumventing the legislature and the law as written?

Smart move!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
3.1.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  exexpatnowinTX @3.1    3 years ago

Spin it in whatever way you want, but this is clear retaliation for Raffensperger having just enough of a moral compass to prevent an election from being stolen by an obvious criminal.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    3 years ago

I assume this is because people who were - in some way - obviously Democratic Party supporters were the ones handing out the food and water.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
4.2  pat wilson  replied to  Tacos! @4    3 years ago

I'll bet they handed out water/food to all voters, rep or dem.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.2.1  Tacos!  replied to  pat wilson @4.2    3 years ago

Yeah, that would be the point.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
4.2.2  pat wilson  replied to  Tacos! @4.2.1    3 years ago

So what's the problem ?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.2.3  Tacos!  replied to  pat wilson @4.2.2    3 years ago

I wasn't there, but I'm guessing there was more going on than just the handing out of water, or it might not have bothered anyone (or maybe it would anyway).

For example, suppose a guy in a MAGA hat is the one handing out water. That would be a concern, right?

Or supposing a political action committee supporting a certain candidate advertised that they would be handing out water the next day at polling places. Even if they don't campaign directly at the moment, lots of people still know who they are and a message is sent.

What is so hard about just leaving people alone as they stand in line to vote? Why do you need to approach them? Why not just allow the optics of the day to be unequivocally neutral?

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.4  CB  replied to  Tacos! @4.2.3    3 years ago

What bull patty! Some conservatives won't leave a liberal alone to his or her own thoughts let-alone freedom to vote. They just' pick' at stuff. What tends to occur is people show up to vote unaware of the rigors (stumbling-blocks) put in the way to the booth. They tire, need timely medications, and simply thirst.

Some conservatives go on and on and on and on farther about freedoms! Then they realize that that spells real trouble for their points of view being foisted on others!

Let's cut the bull patty once and for all. Some conservatives don't want liberals to be liberally minded at all! And thus, they will accept nothing less than liberals becoming likeminded some conservatives as they be.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.2.5  Tacos!  replied to  CB @4.2.4    3 years ago
What tends to occur is people show up to vote unaware of the rigors (stumbling-blocks) put in the way to the booth.

What rigors? It’s a line. They have them at the supermarket, too. You can’t see the line as you approach?

They tire

From standing? Sitting? So much so that they can’t vote?

timely medications

So bring them with you. No one is going to be handing out medication anyway.

simply thirst

So, bring some water. The law doesn’t say you can’t drink.

And why would any of this disproportionately impact liberals or people of color?

Thomas
Senior Guide
4.2.6  Thomas  replied to  Tacos! @4.2.5    3 years ago

How long do you wait to vote?

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.7  CB  replied to  Tacos! @4.2.5    3 years ago
[W]hy would any of this disproportionately impact liberals or people of color?

A better question:

• Why would any provisions freely provided in the 'line' be of critical interest to some conservatives?
  • Why not be 'disturbed and bothered' about having citizens standing for three or more hours in all types of weather?

Where are solutions to these problems in some conservatives sympathetic interests?

Some conservatives go on and on and on and on farther about freedoms! Then they realize that that spells real trouble for their points of view being foisted on others!

Let's cut the bull patty once and for all. Some conservatives don't want liberals to be liberally minded at all! And thus, they will accept nothing less than liberals becoming like-minded some conservatives as they be.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
4.2.8  pat wilson  replied to  Tacos! @4.2.3    3 years ago
suppose a guy in a MAGA hat is the one handing out water. That would be a concern, right?

No.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.2.9  Tacos!  replied to  Thomas @4.2.6    3 years ago

Usually, it’s pretty quick, but I try to go during a time when I think there won’t be a big rush.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.2.10  Tacos!  replied to  CB @4.2.7    3 years ago
A better question:

No, my question is the pertinent one because a claim has been made - that this legislation blatantly suppresses the vote of black and brown people. Someone needs to answer how that could possibly be true or people in general who are making this claim need to find the integrity to stop pulling this accusation out of their collective asses.

If you can convince me that any legislation genuinely unfairly hurts any particular group, I’ll be happy to oppose it. So far, no one has been able to give me even a shitty reason why this legislation should hurt one group more than another.

• Why would any provisions freely provided in the 'line' be of critical interest to some conservatives?

Because this country has long history of bribing people to vote, very often by giving food or drink to needy people. So here, if you think your party might benefit from having more low income people vote, maybe you let it be known that you’ll be handing out free food and drink to people waiting to vote. That’s corrupt.

It shouldn’t even be a conservative issue. It should be an American issue to have elections that appear to be legitimate and are beyond reproach.

You know what’s funny about this to me? The United States and the United Nations send teams of people all over the world to monitor the integrity of elections in other countries where democracy is hanging on by its fingernails. We make sure all rules are followed to the letter, that legal voters get to vote without harassment, be it subtle or overt, and we do all this in the name of democracy and election integrity.

But if someone wants more of those things here in America? Hell no! It’s racism! It’s voter suppression!

Sorry, but that’s bullshit. Jim Crow voter suppression was a real thing and we shouldn’t forget it, but the legislation we’re talking about today is not an example of it.

• Why not be 'disturbed and bothered' about having citizens standing for three or more hours in all types of weather?

I am. But handing out freebies is not the answer.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.2.11  Ender  replied to  Tacos! @4.2.10    3 years ago
that this legislation blatantly suppresses the vote of black and brown people. Someone needs to answer how that could possibly be true or people in general who are making this claim need to find the integrity to stop pulling this accusation out of their collective asses.

It is a combination of things, but I think you know that.

Add in taking away polling places and creating crowds...

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.2.12  Tacos!  replied to  Ender @4.2.11    3 years ago
It is a combination of things, but I think you know that.

Then you shouldn’t have any problem listing a few.

Add in taking away polling places and creating crowds...

I support more polling places and I hate crowds. But those negatively impact everyone.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.2.13  Ender  replied to  Tacos! @4.2.12    3 years ago

More so when they target certain areas.

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.14  CB  replied to  pat wilson @4.2.8    3 years ago

As freedom dictates, one can CHOOSE to take a water offered or leave it be! Real freedom!

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.15  CB  replied to  Tacos! @4.2.10    3 years ago
No, my question is the pertinent one because a claim has been made - that this legislation blatantly suppresses the vote of black and brown people. Someone needs to answer how that could possibly be true or people in general who are making this claim need to find the integrity to stop pulling this accusation out of their collective asses.

"collective asses." Okay. Then you go to there seeking answers. I won't dawdle on bull patty.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.16  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.2.15    3 years ago

How does the new law suppress anyone?

Who do you claim it suppresses?

What in the new law targets any one group?

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.17  CB  replied to  Tacos! @4.2.10    3 years ago
Because this country has long history of bribing people to vote, very often by giving food or drink to needy people. So here, if you think your party might benefit from having more low income people vote, maybe you let it be known that you’ll be handing out free food and drink to people waiting to vote.

It does not matter where people stand to drink or eat, be it in-line or just outside the 'restricted zone.' Again, why do "freedom loving conservatives" care what people nibble or refresh themselves on while waiting to exercise the vote franchise? Oh, and where did you ever get the notion or judgement call that this is a 'date night' for low-income people?

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.18  CB  replied to  Tacos! @4.2.10    3 years ago
 It should be an American issue to have elections that appear to be legitimate and are beyond reproach

What's reproachable about serving water and food to people waiting in extraordinary lines? Why make a legal action into a crime? What's the big deal?

So big on freedom-talking  (and accusations) while defending the curtailing freedoms for others.

BTW, where do you stand on some conservatives calling secretaries of state and attempting to compromise their integrity on counting legal votes? Donald Trump and Lindsay Graham reportedly did this.

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.19  CB  replied to  Tacos! @4.2.10    3 years ago
But handing out freebies is not the answer.

So in your mind, a common human courtesy (for extraordinary wait times for a simple act of voting) and act of compassion is a formidable freebie to you? Are you reading what you put to comment?

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.20  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.16    3 years ago

If some conservatives want to feign naivety, then perhaps they are out of their depth in holding these discussions.  But, don't be naive on my time.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.21  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.2.20    3 years ago

If some liberals want to make wild-assed claims without the ability to support those claims, then so be it.

It's always far easier to make accusations without having to support them.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.22  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.2.19    3 years ago
So in your mind, a common human courtesy (for extraordinary wait times for a simple act of voting) and act of compassion is a formidable freebie to you? Are you reading what you put to comment?

Is an hour long wait "extraordinary" to you?

Do you even know that the new law requires smaller precincts and/or more voting booths for places that have had long waits (over an hour) in the past election? Or that precincts are required to chart the wait times at three different intervals during voting day?

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.23  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.22    3 years ago
Do you even know that the new law requires smaller precincts and/or more voting booths for places that have had long waits (over an hour) in the past election? Or that precincts are required to chart the wait times at three different intervals during voting day?

Actually, I have not read the new law- I have listened to reportings. Thank you for sharing this and I will have to check into it. See what the positives and negatives are in weigh. I hear rumor that is over 90 pages long. . . . I have to find the time for such protracted reading and individual analysis. In the meanwhile, I listen to pundit-class commentary. . . .

I would ask how you know such things, but I am not assured to appreciate (or get) the 'clap-back'. I won't expect anything.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.2.24  Tacos!  replied to  CB @4.2.15    3 years ago

Any excuse to bail, huh?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.2.25  Tacos!  replied to  CB @4.2.17    3 years ago
It does not matter where people stand to drink or eat, be it in-line or just outside the 'restricted zone.' Again, why do "freedom loving conservatives" care what people nibble or refresh themselves on while waiting to exercise the vote franchise?

You are totally wrong, my friend. I have not said that. The story does not say that. The law does not say that.

No one cares if people eat and drink in line. The prohibition is against people from outside of the line, who are not there to vote, coming up into the line to give things to people. There is no prohibition on eating or drinking in the line. None.

Oh, and where did you ever get the notion or judgement call that this is a 'date night' for low-income people?

I didn’t say anything remotely like that. Please don’t invent things that I have said.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.2.26  Tacos!  replied to  CB @4.2.18    3 years ago
What's reproachable about serving water and food to people waiting in extraordinary lines?

It’s reproachable if it’s a bribe to vote.

So big on freedom-talking  (and accusations) while defending the curtailing freedoms for others

You don’t have the freedom campaign at a polling place on Election Day. Do you even care about corruption in elections?

Donald Trump and Lindsay Graham reportedly did this.

A lot of things are reported. That doesn’t make them true. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.2.27  Tacos!  replied to  CB @4.2.19    3 years ago
a common human courtesy

Is it common? Do these people hand out food and water the other 364 days of the year? 

act of compassion

How do you know they are doing it out of compassion? How do you know they aren’t doing it to draw out their particular constituents to vote?

Are you reading what you put to comment?

Are you reading what I write? Because sometimes it doesn’t seem like it.

Have you figured out how this law will specifically suppress the black and brown vote over others? I have asked this over and over and no one has an answer.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.28  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.2.23    3 years ago

I know because I chose to be informed before posting.

I don't just believe something because some talking head on CNN or MSNBC says it.

you have claimed the law is suppressive, but every time you gave been asked about it, you deflect or ignore it  

That tends to happen when you don't bother to be informed.

Your choice. however, believe what you are told or do a little research on your own.

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.29  CB  replied to  Tacos! @4.2.24    3 years ago

Well, you are the one mentioning "pulling this accusation out of their collective asses." I can choose to exercise an option to tell you to go talk to those folks. And please, don't bore me with more about this comment. Move back into the stream of discussion. Okay, let me help you with that:

Taco @4.2.3 you wrote this: "What is so hard about just leaving people alone as they stand in line to vote? "

I agree. So why did Georgia's republican legislature write and pass changes affecting state voting rules, policies, and law? What's so hard about leaving people alone to vote?

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.30  CB  replied to  Tacos! @4.2.25    3 years ago

You write a great deal of oblique and implied things, maybe (and I don't know it but it could be true) because you think you're being impartial. In my strong opinion, some conservative leaning writers are simply looking to write countervailing (alternative) statements to a more direct line of questioning/discussion.

People who wait long hours in a line, should have the freedom to eat or drink what is legally presented to them. However, a partisan republican legislature has decided in its judgement that voting lines should be micro-managed and a freedom currently legal should be written into a new law as illegal.

The prohibition is against people from outside of the line, who are not there to vote, coming up into the line to give things to people.

Yet, the same republicans will talk to us about freedom being the thing we value most! Yet, here they are making "prohibition" out of whole cloth. 

This law is a power grab.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.31  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.2.30    3 years ago

power grab?please explain that.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.32  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.2.30    3 years ago

many states have similar laws. maybe even YOUR state.

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.33  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.28    3 years ago

Finally, I am back online. My system is slow this morning. (And frustrating me too.)

Texan, I don't need a lecture. You support the changes in the law or so it appears -can't often tell what some conservatives 'fundamentals' are in these exchanges. Your statements imply the changes (and removal of a "freedoms" is necessary) and yet you only have a fake narrative of voter fraud (unproven by Georgia Sec. of State) but repeatedly asserted all the same as your basis for agreement.

I have experience with news services. But let me hasten to my point at this juncture. I have years of experience with the anchors and pundits I hear and read. I do not need to read every word of a document (immediately) to come to a discussion and voice my opinion. And, if I am wrong I can stand corrected.

That said, you have little to no credibility with me. And probably vice-versa. I do not know the context, the sense, or the spirit of what you share or 'report.' I definitely won't be taking your opinions as certain. I will take it under consideration and with a grain of salt!

Well, I hope that informs you, at least for the moment.

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.34  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.22    3 years ago

You should validate that statement with that portion of the law linked in its proper context. I don't have the time or inclination to do so at this time. You are not 'above' an assist (for the good of the discussion), no?

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.35  CB  replied to  Tacos! @4.2.26    3 years ago

Now you are just arguing for argument sake. Dig in on the talking points and waste 'digits.'  I won't indulge you any longer.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.2.36  Tacos!  replied to  CB @4.2.29    3 years ago
Well, you are the one mentioning "pulling this accusation out of their collective asses."

Hey, I’d be glad to be wrong. “Pulling it out of your ass” means it’s made up. If it’s not made up, where does it come from? Where is the data driving the claim?

I can choose to exercise an option to tell you to go talk to those folks.

What folks should I talk to? Do you have someone specific in mind? Someone who will provide evidence of voter suppression instead of just claiming that it’s “clear?”

So why did Georgia's republican legislature write and pass changes affecting state voting rules, policies, and law? What's so hard about leaving people alone to vote?

The legislation literally does that.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.37  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.2.34    3 years ago

and I don't care to do your research for you.

best you look it up yourself so you can't claim fake news.

you claim the law suppresses people.

will you ever explain how and who?

I posted a seed on it a few days ago.

if you could simply back your claims up--or even make such an attempt--your credibility could only go up.

When you rely on newscasters to form your opinions for you, you lose credibility

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.38  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.2.33    3 years ago

I haven't even mentioned any voter fraud, so WHY ARE YOU DEFLECTING AGAIN?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.39  Texan1211  replied to  Tacos! @4.2.36    3 years ago

it is amazing how many times and ways people avoid justifying ridiculous claims.

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.40  CB  replied to  Tacos! @4.2.27    3 years ago
a common human courtesy
Is it common? Do these people hand out food and water the other 364 days of the year? 

No relevance to this issue.

act of compassion
How do you know they are doing it out of compassion? How do you know they aren’t doing it to draw out their particular constituents to vote?

Water and food provisions by definition are acts of compassion. Other than that, you would have to prove an illegal intend - not just 'conclude' nefarious harm.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.41  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.2.40    3 years ago

why won't you answer to back your claims up?

just tell me who and how people are suppressed because of this law.

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.42  CB  replied to  Tacos! @4.2.27    3 years ago
Have you figured out how this law will specifically suppress the black and brown vote over others? I have asked this over and over and no one has an answer.

You probably have heard the one about people in "H" wanting ice water? Voter manipulation is a real problem in Georgia past and present.

We will fight it as minority/majority people where we find it.  You can respond to the question of why a conservative republican state congress and governor thought it needful to change Georgian voting rules, policies, and regulations just to appease themselves (and Trump) over and beyond extending freedom further in the state voting process.

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.43  CB  replied to  Tacos! @4.2.36    3 years ago

A complete utter waste of a comment to me.

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.44  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.37    3 years ago

I have better things to do than to participate in a smoke and mirror 'production' spun up by some conservatives.  Have a nice Sunday.

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.45  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.41    3 years ago

Okay, let's bull patty each other for shits and giggles.

Why are republicans removing voting freedoms from the voters in Georgia and red-states across the country? You're the party of freedom and big-ass displays of constitutional rights, no?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.46  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.2.45    3 years ago

ok, let's.

Let's start by dismissin the lie that "voting freedoms" are being taken away.

then we can start.

BTW, are you unable to tell me what part of the law suppresses anyone?

I keep asking and you keep dodging and deflecting

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.47  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.2.44    3 years ago

no smoke and mirrors, just repeated requests for info you claim.

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.48  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.46    3 years ago
Criminalizing Line Warming

Nearly 8-in-10 Georgians oppose the SB202 plan to criminalize the distribution of food and water to people standing in line waiting to vote (19 percent support – 77 percent oppose). Two-thirds of self-identified Republican voters oppose this policy as do three in four White voters, and 8-in-10 Black voters.

Transfer Election Authority to State Legislature

Three quarters of Georgia voters oppose the SB202 plan to allow the state legislature to take election authority away from local elections officials, counties, and the Secretary of State (18 percent support – 76 percent oppose). This is another proposal that is met with cross-partisan opposition.

Wrong-Precinct Disenfranchisement

Seven-in-ten Georgia voters oppose the SB202 plan that would throw out the vote of any eligible voter who votes at the wrong precinct location, regardless of circumstances like being given incorrect information by an election official (26 percent support – 70 percent oppose). Nearly two-thirds of White voters and eight-in-ten Black voters oppose this policy. 2

Restricting Early Voting and Absentee Voting

Screen-Shot-2021-03-26-at-3.19.43-PM.png

The poll finds that Georgia voters broadly and strongly oppose measures restricting voting rights that are currently moving in the Georgia General Assembly.

Most Georgia voters also oppose the SB202 plan to restrict the right to vote early or by absentee ballot. Roughly 7-in-10 voters oppose shortening the early voting period (27 percent support – 71 percent oppose) and restricting Sunday voting (28 percent support – 69 percent oppose), which a previous version of SB202 would have done. About 6-in-10 oppose shortening the absentee ballot request period (38 percent support – 60 percent oppose) and restricting and limiting the use of voting drop-boxes (36 percent support – 59 percent oppose). Notably, half of Republican voters, 8-in-10 Democrats, and 7-in-10 independents are against shortening the early voting period and restricting Sunday voting.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.49  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.2.48    3 years ago

that's swell and all, but fails yet once again to support your suppression claims.

try again?

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.50  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.49    3 years ago

Texan, I am not here to work or appease you. Again: Who is Governor Kemp working to make life work on behalf of Trump and the republican "BIG LIE," or Georgian voters?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.51  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.2.50    3 years ago

ok then we are done.

I see no point in continuing when an outrageous claim is made without a single leg of support for it. despite repeated attempts to get you to clarify.

making unsubstantiated wild ass claims is sophomoric

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.52  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.49    3 years ago
the measure went even further: It shifts the power and oversight of elections to the Legislature by stripping the secretary of state from chairing the state Board of Elections and authorizing the Legislature to name members to the board. It further empowers the state Board of Elections to have sweeping jurisdiction over county elections boards, including the authority to suspend officials.

What's the background on this new election policy change, Texan? Is this voter suppression and manipulation or not, Texan?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.2.53  Tacos!  replied to  CB @4.2.43    3 years ago

I agree. Asking you to comment on the issue before us does seem to be a waste of time. Is the demand for facts interrupting your mood?

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.54  CB  replied to  Tacos! @4.2.53    3 years ago

Meh.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.55  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.2.52    3 years ago

STOP ASKING ME ANYTHING.since YOU won't EVER answer me.

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.56  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.55    3 years ago

Meh. @4.2.52! Shut it down, no?!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.57  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.2.56    3 years ago

sorry you can't defend your false claims about suppression.

maybe the next topic you'll have better luck

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.58  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.57    3 years ago

@4.2.52 shut it down! Yes!

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.2.59  bugsy  replied to  CB @4.2.23    3 years ago
Actually, I have not read the new law- I have listened to reportings.

So by just that you think the law is racist.

How about some personal responsibility and actually read the law.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.60  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.2.58    3 years ago

Nope!

[Deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.61  Texan1211  replied to  bugsy @4.2.59    3 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.62  Texan1211  replied to  Tacos! @4.2.53    3 years ago

Hey! Some news person told him the law was racist and suppressing voters, so that must make it true, right?

Facts are optional, obviously, because no matter how many times or way the question is asked, no one can tell me what is suppressing or racist about the law.

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.63  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.2.58    3 years ago

Shutting it down would be awfully convenient for those unwilling and unable to substantiate wild-ass claims.

Shutting it down would allow you to get away with it, and I am not willing to do that.

When you make claims, you should be able to defend those claims. Ignoring the questions and deflecting doesn't answer anything

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.64  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.63    3 years ago

At the end of the day, @4.2.52 shut it down! Yes!

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.65  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.63    3 years ago

Georgia GOP governor is limiting the use of voter dropbox locations, times, and days. Why is that,Texan? Does Georgia GOP hate freedom? There is not proof of sufficient fraud to merit GOP interference with the process. Did Donald Trump order it up with one of those 'special' telephone calls he is known to deliver?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.66  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.2.64    3 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.67  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.2.65    3 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.68  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.2.65    3 years ago

Why on earth are you bothering to ask me questions when I have told you more than once I won't answer since you won't?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.70  Texan1211  replied to    3 years ago

Do you think the law suppresses voters or is racist?

If so, WHY and WHO is suppressed?

Sorry in advance for asking such stumpers of questions.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
4.2.71  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.70    3 years ago

Don't forget the HOW.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.73  Texan1211  replied to    3 years ago

Typical trite non-answer.

No one else has been able to answer either, so you have loads of company.

Pity they were all told their opinions by the news, and haven't bothered to read the law or even find out what is in it.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.74  Texan1211  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @4.2.71    3 years ago
Don't forget the HOW.

Pointless with this group.

All they can say is it is there, but can't define it.

When you get your opinion handed to you by the likes of CNN and MSNBC, facts don't matter as much as righteous poutrage.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.2.75  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.73    3 years ago

The only thing that matters in an election is if the person who votes is the registered voter. When they vote, what time they vote, whether it is by mail or absentee ballot, if it was "harvested" or not , doesnt matter. 

In theory, requiring a photo id is a fair requirement, in practice, because it is not necessary , it becomes a potentially unfair burden. The Secretary Of State of Georgia told everyone that the mail in votes had been signature verified. That should be the end of it. Signature verification is a completely acceptable way of verifying identity.  But because Republicans know that any and all restrictions will deplete a slice of the Democratic vote they do these sorts of things as create new restrictions. It is all quite deliberate. 

The Republican Secretary of State specifically said after the election that there were no problems that affected the vote outcome. 

So why did the Georgia legislature make new rules ? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.2.76  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.74    3 years ago

You have by this point made hundreds of comments on this forum. Almost none of them have any explanatory material in them. You know,  how or why something happened and what it means. Most of your comments are either questions, often inane and highly repetitive, or complaints about what other people say. 

Are you capable of constructing your own informed opinion on a topic? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.77  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @4.2.75    3 years ago

I really wish someone would simply answer my questions instead of dodging and deflecting.

I get that the questions I asked are very, very tough, but can't someone even take a real stab at it?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.78  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @4.2.76    3 years ago

No one is forcing you to read my posts.

If they bother you, then that is a you problem.

If people had the guts and integrity to actually answer my questions, I wouldn't have to keep asking the same questions over and over.

Instead, they deflect.

What SPECIFICALLY is racist in the law, and who and how does it suppress anyone's vote?

Sorry in advance for once again asking the questions no one can answer.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.2.79  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.77    3 years ago

Let me ask you a question. Georgia has two Democratic senators for the first time in 45 years, largely due to the black vote turnout.  What do you think the chances are some Republicans down there want to try and prevent that turnout from happening again? 

Again, why did the Republican legislature feel the need to change election rules after an election where the republican Secretary of State said there were no major problems?  Why did they change anything?  The governor gave his reason - saying some people lost faith in the election. Why was that? Could it be because Trump spent weeks and weeks bitching about losing?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.80  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @4.2.76    3 years ago

BTW, this is a lie in the headline:

Because There Are Paranoid, Ignorant Trump Supporters, Georgians Will No Longer Be Allowed To Receive Water During Their 5 Hour Wait To Vote

People getting water is not prohibited. Maybe the author of this opinion piece should acknowledge he is lying with that false statement.

In the interest of factual accuracy, of course.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.81  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @4.2.79    3 years ago
Let me ask you a question. Georgia has two Democratic senators for the first time in 45 years, largely due to the black vote turnout.  What do you think the chances are some Republicans down there want to try and prevent that turnout from happening again? 

Yet more deflection.

Are my questions really that tough?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.2.82  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.81    3 years ago

I have answered your question. Any rule that could potentially negatively effect turnout is inappropriate in Georgia. 

this is from the Atlanta Journal Constitution , Georgia's largest newspaper

New Georgia law changes voting rules — and maybe results

Mark Niesse, David Wickert
13-17 minutes

The   changes   will be felt by millions of voters, potentially with enough impact to alter the results of close elections in a sharply divided state.

Absentee voters — there were 1.3 million in November’s presidential election — will face   new ID requirements   to submit their driver’s license or state ID number, a small step for many but a difficulty for the 3% of voters who lack that ID. To   return absentee ballots, many will have to rely on the Postal Service to deliver them on time since drop boxes will be confined inside early voting locations and banned the last four days before an election.

If more people must   vote in person, that could mean   long lines, and Georgia law now bans distributing food and drinks to waiting voters.

An additional 1.4 million people who voted in person during the first two weeks of early voting for Georgia’s U.S. Senate runoffs will no longer have that option. Early voting would only occur in the final week before most   runoff elections .

The outcomes of Georgia elections could hinge on the many ways voter behavior changes in response to the laws, say voting rights groups and election experts. Each new obstacle has the potential to stop voters — a record 5 million of them in the presidential election — from participating in democracy.

“It’s always going to have an impact. The question is whether we’re going to be able to overcome that impact,” said Cliff Albright, executive director for Black Voters Matter. “We won recent elections not because there wasn’t voter suppression, but because we were able to out-organize it.”

Republican Gov. Brian Kemp signed   Senate Bill 202   into law on Thursday, the same day it passed both the state   House and Senate .

Motivated in part by unfounded suspicions about last year’s elections results, the 98-page bill changes election procedures following Republican losses in races for president and the U.S. Senate. Election officials have said repeatedly there’s   no evidence   of widespread fraud in those contests, and election laws were written by the state’s Republican majority.

Already, the law faces   a court challenge from three voting rights groups. Their lawsuit says Georgia’s voting limits are unjustified because they’re based on former President Donald Trump’s false claims that Georgia’s election results were inaccurate.

Voting restrictions will disproportionately harm Black voters, Albright said.

The biggest turnout — and longest lines — are often in highly populated areas with large numbers of Black voters. During Georgia’s chaotic primary in June, Black voters were   more likely   to be stuck waiting for hours, according to election data. Without weekend voting before runoffs, Black voters won’t be able to participate in “Souls to the Polls” group voting events after Sunday church services.

Conservative voting organizations and legislators said the law was necessary to restore voter confidence that was shaken by unsupported allegations from Trump and his allies of thousands of illegal votes.

“Georgia Republicans are committed to every lawful vote being counted, every unlawful vote rejected and for the counting to be done in the open and in accordance with law,” party Chairman David Shafer said. “The counting of an unlawful vote cancels out a lawful vote and ‘suppresses’ a lawful voter as thoroughly as if that lawful voter was physically barred from the polls.”

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.2.83  author  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @4.2.82    3 years ago

Any new restrictions can potentially lower voter turnout. 

Why do the republicans want less people to vote?

All they really have to do is make sure that all the votes cast by mail or absentee have the signature of the registered voter on them.  That is all they need to do. It it is very simple and easy to do. Other states around the country that have mail in voting do it all the time. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.2.84  bugsy  replied to    3 years ago
The WHY and the WHO is easily read between the lines.

I;m curious...

Do you think minorities can't get IDs without liberal white help>

Do you think minorities can't get to voting places without white liberal help?

Do you think minorities can't bring their own food or water to polling places, or should they rely on white liberal help?

If you answer no to any of those questions, then you have no problem with the Georgia voting law.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.2.85  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.78    3 years ago
So why did the Georgia legislature make new rules ? 

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.2.87  bugsy  replied to    3 years ago

I understand you don't want to answer my questions because you will realize how right I am.

I will, however,answer yours...

First one...

I don't mind signature verification, but if a state wants to require ID to vote...or to register (remember, many people register to vote at the DVM when they get...ahem....an ID, then state's rights allow them to do that..

Second one...

Yes, of course, but to be fair, most places have up to 2 weeks or more of early voting, so waiting to the last second goes with personal responsibility. You don't want to wait in long lines, vote early.

Third one...

Yes, but mail in should be limited to active duty military and residents that can prove out of state business during voting season. Anything else, you can go to the polls. Don't be lazy.

Fourth one...

Bring your own food and water. Most would rather not want to be bothered by someone giving food or water because most of the time, these people are looking for an in kind donation.

Now, I answered yours.

Maybe you can answer mine?

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.2.89  bugsy  replied to    3 years ago

Not really. It has been white liberals who are the most vocal about the supposed victim hood of blacks not being able to get IDs, get to voting polls, etc.

They are also the most viciously vocal and insulting when a black dares to get off the democratic plantation.

Most white liberals think minorities can do absolutely nothing without their help.

So are you going to answer my questions?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.90  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @4.2.82    3 years ago
I have answered your question. Any rule that could potentially negatively effect turnout is inappropriate in Georgia. 

No, you told me what some news source told you. Not who is specifically being suppressed.

Absentee voters — there were 1.3 million in November’s presidential election — will face new ID requirements to submit their driver’s license or state ID number, a small step for many but a difficulty for the 3% of voters who lack that ID.

Lots of time for anyone to obtain what the law requires--a simple ID. One can be obtained for free from the State of Georgia. Voter ID has been upheld by SCOTUS.

If more people must vote in person, that could mean long lines, and Georgia law now bans distributing food and drinks to waiting voters.

That is a simple lie--and one I have already pointed out to you. Food and beverages are not banned (with the exception of alcohol).

Many states have similar statutes regarding electioneering near polling places.

Now, what in the law is racist and/or suppressing voters?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.2.91  author  JohnRussell  replied to  bugsy @4.2.89    3 years ago

The issue in this case is not what white liberals think or do, or even what is the ideal number of days to have early voting, the issue is that Republicans in Georgia have enacted these new rules to try and cut down on black voting. 

The governor of Georgia says the reason is specifically that voters in his state of lost faith in the election system. Really? I doubt if many if any black voters or Warnock and Ossoff voters feel the election was unfair. The only ones who thought the election was unfair are those who fell for Trump's endless whining. 

Why did Georgia need new voting rules ?  They obviously didn't, and coupled with the fact that the new rules will likely have a larger impact on black votes than white, it is quite easy to put two and two together. 

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.92  CB  replied to    3 years ago

It is understood, these are the 'enablers' fanning out to the internet to carry 'fog' and 'play' ignorance. I'm going to give an example, it is off-topic but has usage on this 'dilemma' with which we are 'infected.'

EXAMPLE ONLY:

Today, the Chauvin (George Floyd death) Trial begin. You may remember a week or several ago (time flies doesn't it?) that an article on NT was addressing certain 'aspects' of the upcoming case. And today, at that trial's defense lawyer's  opening remarks - it was almost a line by line delivery on how reasonable doubt, victim background, substance abuse, and no professional intent to kill, probably will establish sufficient doubt in the mind of at least one (or several) juror.

Coincidence, could be. I quietly swell with pride when the media/court/congress agrees with my online way of discussions. When I hear my words coming out in policy or the mouth of public officials. On the other hand, I can't prove it but I know, there are "officials" and "surrogates," or other "insiders" who fan out to work social media and the public with theories and plans.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.2.94  Split Personality  replied to  bugsy @4.2.89    3 years ago
Not really. It has been white liberals who are the most vocal about the supposed victim hood of blacks not being able to get IDs, get to voting polls, etc.

They are also the most viciously vocal and insulting when a black dares to get off the democratic plantation.

Most white liberals think minorities can do absolutely nothing without their help.

What ridiculous partisan BS.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.2.95  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.90    3 years ago

Although it is like talking to a brick wall, I will say it one more time. 

ANY changes to Georgia election laws that are intended to disproportionately lower black turnout, or all turnout, are unnecessary and subject to the conclusion that they are based on race. 

Georgia had a fair election. The person in charge of making sure the elections are fair specifically said so. So why change voting rules now? One, two Democrats won Senate seats for the first time in 45 years , based on black voter turnout. Two, Trump whined endlessly for weeks about the Georgia election. 

Those two reasons are why this is being done now.  As I said, Stevie Wonder could see it. 

You have your answer, so stop saying no one will answer your endless questions. 

ANY change of the laws that will cut down, even potentially, on the black vote can be construed as racially motivated. That is common sense. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.96  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @4.2.95    3 years ago
ANY change of the laws that will cut down, even potentially, on the black vote can be construed as racially motivated. That is common sense. 

Not common sense, but common bullshit.

Hell, EVERY law can POSSIBLY affect one group more than others. Too bad.

What in the law forces black people to do anything that white voters don't have to do?

If the answer is nothing (and it is), then there is nothing discriminatory in the law, despite some news agency telling you differently.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.2.97  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.96    3 years ago

I would say you are in denial. They had a fair election. Why are they changing anything? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.98  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @4.2.97    3 years ago

How again is the new law racist and suppressing? Who is it suppressing, and how?

BTW, changes in laws happen yearly. Attempting to make the argument that laws are perfect the way they are is ridiculous.

What do black people have to do differently from white people to vote?

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.99  CB  replied to  JohnRussell @4.2.75    3 years ago

Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger describes Georgia election administration system as  "the gold standard" for the United States.

" Georgia is recognized as a national leader in elections. It was the first state in the country to implement the trifecta of automatic voter registration, at least 16 days of early voting (which has been called the “gold standard” ), and no-excuse absentee voting. Georgia continues to set records for voter turnout and election participation, seeing the largest increase in average turnout of any other state in the 2018 midterm election and record primary turnout in 2020, with over 1.1 million absentee by mail voters and over 1.2 million in-person voters utilizing Georgia’s new, secure, paper ballot voting system."

And for his trouble, the Republican Party is SUPPRESSING him!

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.100  CB  replied to  bugsy @4.2.84    3 years ago

Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger describes Georgia election administration system as  "the gold standard" for the United States.

" Georgia is recognized as a national leader in elections. It was the first state in the country to implement the trifecta of automatic voter registration, at least 16 days of early voting (which has been called the “gold standard” ), and no-excuse absentee voting. Georgia continues to set records for voter turnout and election participation, seeing the largest increase in average turnout of any other state in the 2018 midterm election and record primary turnout in 2020, with over 1.1 million absentee by mail voters and over 1.2 million in-person voters utilizing Georgia’s new, secure, paper ballot voting system."

I am curious too, bugsy! Why mess with the record-setting "gold standard"? And why is a Georgian republican governor SUPPRESSING its Georgian Republican Secretary of State for continuing such a proper achievement?

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.101  CB  replied to  bugsy @4.2.87    3 years ago
Third one...

Yes, but mail in should be limited to active duty military and residents that can prove out of state business during voting season. Anything else, you can go to the polls. Don't be lazy.

Fourth one...

Bring your own food and water. Most would rather not want to be bothered by someone giving food or water because most of the time, these people are looking for an in kind donation.

Let's start with the characterization of laziness. States offer mail in voting to their citizens for various reasons counting the cost of the expenditure. Next, what about freedom - why place false limits on that which makes taller and wider the voting franchise?

In-kind donations at voting sites is illegal. We all know this. It is reportable to the site officials. So that is NOT what is occurring, because it can easily be determined by asking those receiving a provision to characterize the interaction with a 'provider.' Furthermore, why is the state not on the hook for not creating a more pleasant voting experience than excessively long lines in the Twenty-First Century?  We do have the technology - we ought to use it. Other countries will lead us and question why they should trust their own voters to properly abide the rules of mail-in voting, if we continue to impugn (unjustifiably) the characters of our citizen voters.

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.102  CB  replied to  bugsy @4.2.89    3 years ago

Okay, some conservatives are on the NRA gun plantation.

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.103  CB  replied to  JohnRussell @4.2.97    3 years ago

It is not like every republican has state issued ID. It is not like all republicans have food and water to eat and drink. It is not like all republicans want to wait in long lines in 'broiling' heat to cast a ballot. Republicans, like democrats, can take advantage of the expansiveness of the voter franchise, if their party and state officials would get shut up and get out of the way of the franchise.

I agree take the republicans to court and make them earn every stitch of the changes now in effect or rollback the law. Set a precedence once and for all in the process.

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.2.104  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @4.2.91    3 years ago
the issue is that Republicans in Georgia have enacted these new rules to try and cut down on black voting. 

Be specific in how this is happening...

And your feelings don't count.

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.2.105  bugsy  replied to  Split Personality @4.2.94    3 years ago
What ridiculous partisan BS.

Then you are not paying attention to reality.

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.2.106  bugsy  replied to  CB @4.2.101    3 years ago
Furthermore, why is the state not on the hook for not creating a more pleasant voting experience than excessively long lines in the Twenty-First Century?

You do realize that poll workers are allowed to provide drinks as needed, don't you?

Of course you don't. Someone told you the bill is racist...and you simply ran with it.

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.2.107  bugsy  replied to  CB @4.2.102    3 years ago
Okay, some conservatives are on the NRA gun plantation

[Deleted]

How about providing some evidence that conservatives have berated and insulted other conservatives if they are not members of the NRA.

I am not, and I have never been berated by conservatives. I have, however, been accused by liberals of being an NRA member, of course, simply because I am a conservative.

Thomas
Senior Guide
4.2.108  Thomas  replied to  Tacos! @4.2.10    3 years ago

The majority of black/brown voters, minorities for the time being, live in more densely populated areas which tend to vote more Democratic. So, it is more of the fact that people who live in more populated areas have more congestion and longer wait times to vote than do the people who live in the less congested and less populated areas. This means that while it can be construed as not being aimed directly at minorities, the effect will be to decrease the Democratic vote. I see no way of defending either proposition with a just and fair argument.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.2.109  Tacos!  replied to  Thomas @4.2.108    3 years ago

Polling places should be based on population. If they aren’t that is wrong, but I think you might find that the law usually defines them the way I suggested.

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.110  CB  replied to  bugsy @4.2.106    3 years ago

Okay. "bugsy" this tripe you think you can float in my boat is getting pitched right now. The fact of the matter is Georgia Republicans say they have the "gold standard" of election proceedings. Let me share it with you and others (again):

" Georgia is recognized as a national leader in elections . I t was the first state in the country to implement the trifecta of automatic voter registration, at least 16 days of early voting (which has been called the “gold standard” ), and no-excuse absentee voting . Georgia continues to set records for voter turnout and election participation, seeing the largest increase in average turnout of any other state in the 2018 midterm election and record primary turnout in 20 20, with over 1.1 million absentee by mail voters and over 1.2 million in-person voters utilizing Georgia’s new, secure, paper ballot voting system."

"bugsy" with such an accomplishment as above, why tamper with the voter pool? According to this lay of the record, Georgia is "shit-HOT!"

How much better can the franchise get?  A few bottles of water, food, and FREEDOM - what's really wrong with that? Explain, if you can.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
4.3  pat wilson  replied to  Tacos! @4    3 years ago
obviously Democratic Party supporters were the ones handing out the food and water.

Lol ! Of course, did you expect any republicans to hand out anything ? Lol.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5  Sean Treacy    3 years ago

Voters can bring their own water. IF you want to donate water to people in line you can give it to poll watchers to hand out.

You just can't give water to voters while wearing your NRA t-shirt. The horror!!!!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @5    3 years ago

These folks are getting all worked up and haven't even bothered to read the law--obviously.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6  Tacos!    3 years ago

The bill amends Georgia Code § 21-2-414

2010 Georgia Code
TITLE 21 - ELECTIONS
CHAPTER 2 - ELECTIONS AND PRIMARIES GENERALLY
ARTICLE 11 - PREPARATION FOR AND CONDUCT OF PRIMARIES AND ELECTIONS
PART 1 - GENERAL PROVISIONS
§ 21-2-414 - Restrictions on campaign activities and public opinion polling within the vicinity of a polling place; cellular phone use prohibited; prohibition of candidates from entering certain polling places; penalty

It’s not aimed at just anybody, and it’s especially not aimed at humanitarian aid. It’s part of a section on the law about campaign activities.

SECTION 33.
Said chapter is further amended by revising subsections (a) and (e) of Code Section 21-2-414, relating to restrictions on campaign activities and public opinion polling within the vicinity of a polling place , cellular phone use prohibited, prohibition of candidates from entering certain polling places, and penalty, as follows:
"(a) No person shall solicit votes in any manner or by any means or method, nor shall any person distribute or display any campaign material, nor shall any person give, offer to give, or participate in the giving of any money or gifts, including, but not limited to, food and drink, to an elector, nor shall any person solicit signatures for any petition, nor shall any person, other than election officials discharging their duties, establish or set up any tables or booths on any day in which ballots are being cast :
(1) Within 150 feet of the outer edge of any building within which a polling place is established;
(2) Within any polling place; or
(3) Within 25 feet of any voter standing in line to vote at any polling place.
These restrictions shall not apply to conduct occurring in private offices or areas which cannot be seen or heard by such electors."
"(e) This Code section shall not be construed to prohibit a poll officer from distributing materials, as required by law, which are necessary for the purpose of instructing electors or from distributing materials prepared by the Secretary of State which are designed solely for the purpose of encouraging voter participation in the election being conducted or from making available self-service water from an unattended receptacle to an elector waiting in line to vote."
S. B. 202 (SUB) - 71 -

So the idea is probably that you can’t wear your “Vote Democratic Party” t-shirt and hand out water bottles. It also might be a problem if you advertise that your local Democratic boosters will be handing out water and then they do it even without provocative t-shirts.

Notwithstanding what is a pretty clear attempt to rein in improper electioneering, the wording of the statute may be too over-broad to pass constitutional scrutiny. It’s a little sloppy in its wording, but I don’t think you can honestly characterize this as “voter suppression.”

pat wilson
Professor Participates
6.1  pat wilson  replied to  Tacos! @6    3 years ago

That's a whole lot of text to defend blatant voter suppression. 

nor shall any person give, offer to give, or participate in the giving of any money or gifts, including, but not limited to, food and drink, to an elector,

Give me a break jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  pat wilson @6.1    3 years ago
blatant voter suppression

Elaborate on the details of this blatant voter suppression.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
6.1.2  pat wilson  replied to  Tacos! @6.1.1    3 years ago

Do your own homework if you don't know. Google might help you.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1.3  Tacos!  replied to  pat wilson @6.1.2    3 years ago

I don't need to do any homework. I'm not the one claiming voter suppression is blatant. Sounds like you're the one who should be working Google.

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.4  CB  replied to  Tacos! @6.1.3    3 years ago

We see this duplicity operating around you and 'raise' you one! You can pretend to stand in the aisle, but we can see the 'belt' of Trump wrapped around you on the Right!

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1.5  Tacos!  replied to  CB @6.1.4    3 years ago

What duplicity? Do you have specifics of this blatant voter suppression or are you going to be like everybody else and just demand other people be outraged for no particular reason?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  CB @6.1.4    3 years ago

Why can NO ONE simply answer a simple question?

Who is being suppressed, and how are they being suppressed?

I find it downright PITIFUL that people here are squawking about Jim Crow and voter suppression but HAVE NO IDEA WTF they are blathering on about.

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.7  CB  replied to  Tacos! @6.1.5    3 years ago

Since Governor Kemp is signing the law over voter fraud, are you asking him to show data of voter fraud? What is this republican outrage about? Where is the data that supports the need to malign the "gold standard" voting practices of Georgia?

And why are you ignoring the Governor's act in this to ask questions of the receivers of this act?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1.8  Tacos!  replied to  CB @6.1.7    3 years ago
Since Governor Kemp is signing the law over voter fraud, are you asking him to show data of voter fraud?

It’s not necessary. Voter fraud exists. Maybe it didn’t exist in Georgia during the last presidential election, but it exists all the same. We have regulations about all sorts of things that aren’t necessarily attempted at every opportunity.

For example, legislators in Congress want to pass new regulations on so-called dark money in campaign contributions. They don’t necessarily have data to justify new regulations, but they do have concerns.

One thing we clearly had this past election was a lot of concern over election fraud - or simply election inaccuracy. So, it might be worth passing some regulations just to restore confidence.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.9  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @6.1.8    3 years ago

jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.10  CB  replied to  Tacos! @6.1.8    3 years ago
One thing we clearly had this past election was a lot of concern over election fraud - or simply election inaccuracy. So, it might be worth passing some regulations just to restore confidence.

Might "concern" be manufactured? As in, President Donald Trump and his enablers on FOX NEWS repeated a narrative? One that over 50 times courts refused to allow consideration?

Why do you continue to think if a statement (so-called: "Big Lie") is abusively repeated it can somehow morph itself into a true statement. Can you explain?

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.11  CB  replied to  Tacos! @6.1.8    3 years ago
It’s not necessary. Voter fraud exists. Maybe it didn’t exist in Georgia during the last presidential election, but it exists all the same.

Why not necessary as evidence of change needed? Since (you say) voter fraud exists in Georgia - does it exist in proportion to the changes enacted. Specifically, potentially canceling out the "gold standard" voting achievement captured by Georgia in the 2020 general election?

And, can you point out those existing fraud cases you discovered in Georgia?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1.12  Tacos!  replied to  CB @6.1.10    3 years ago

I think a certain amount of concern is always manufactured. I couldn’t say precisely how much. Still, in the private sector, you take steps to ensure that people can’t make claims of fraud or corruption by creating procedures that don’t allow for it. Our election system could use a little of that prudence.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1.13  Tacos!  replied to  CB @6.1.11    3 years ago
And, can you point out those existing fraud cases you discovered in Georgia?

Don’t make false claims about stuff I didn’t say.

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.14  CB  replied to  Tacos! @6.1.12    3 years ago

You don't want words put into your mouth, but let's carry this discussion forward. Where is the data backing up this concern of election fraud?  D-a-t-a?

" Georgia is recognized as a national leader in elections. It was the first state in the country to implement the trifecta of automatic voter registration, at least 16 days of early voting (which has been called the “gold standard” ), and no-excuse absentee voting. Georgia continues to set records for voter turnout and election participation, seeing the largest increase in average turnout of any other state in the 2018 midterm election and record primary turnout in 2020, with over 1.1 million absentee by mail voters and over 1.2 million in-person voters utilizing Georgia’s new, secure, paper ballot voting system ." 

Do you doubt the 'report' out of Georgia? If so, why?

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.15  CB  replied to  Tacos! @6.1.13    3 years ago

jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif So you have nothing to 'build your case'?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1.16  Tacos!  replied to  CB @6.1.15    3 years ago

You seem to be deliberately ignoring the case I have presented. If you want to read it and respond to the comments, that’s fine, but I won’t be badgered to answer questions I have already answered.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.17  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @6.1.16    3 years ago

You haven't made any case.  Just twisting and spinning, as usual.  

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.18  CB  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.17    3 years ago

I agree. Tacos!, has done a great deal of 'supposing and is ignoring Georgia's Republican Secretary of State (whom the republican party has set its face against) accomplishments:

@6.1.14.

Note the omission, the silence, and the patronizing of others ("shoot the messengers").

Ender
Professor Principal
7  Ender    3 years ago
@Mikel_Jollett
Imagine calling yourself a "Christian" and thinking following Jesus means giving people weapons and denying them water.

CB
Professor Principal
7.1  CB  replied to  Ender @7    3 years ago

I am so sick and tired of this spin that is taking place by some conservatives who want to look for alternatives to just doing what is relatively wholesome over and beyond ideology. And yes, that includes all sides on the spectrum - if it fits.

Our country is careening down the corridor of time and space like a drunkard staggering. We need sobriety and more balance in government actions, because other nations are watching us lose our collective 'crap.'

It is not a good look! Oh, just in case either extreme on issues is curious neither conservatives, liberals, or independents alone can secure the future of this county.

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
7.1.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  CB @7.1    3 years ago
I am so sick and tired of this spin

You are not alone, CB All this one sided control over our nation sickens me as well. Time for we the people to start voting in people that will at least really try to work across the aisle and voting out those who won't. 

Ender
Professor Principal
7.1.2  Ender  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @7.1.1    3 years ago

What people don't seem to realize is they are just being played by the politicians.

They are using wedges to drive separation and outrage to remain in power. They are using us as tools to further their own ambitions and goals.

If only people could wake up and throw the divisive people out on their asses.

CB
Professor Principal
7.1.3  CB  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @7.1.1    3 years ago

I would even be some forward-looking as to say let's get rid of the 24/7 cable talk scene on radio/tv/(social media too? - oh my!)

But when you think about it CNN was the first cable news enterprise and no one thought it would work. Well, it did, and it spun off (or up) the means for what has begun the visual talk juggernauts (of commentary all day and night - long) which we experience today.

We have 'star-quality' journalists book writers - multiple books on repeating themes even, political talk 'gods,' and now the worst threat to date: Trump's alternative 'universe' wants a permanent hosting spot in the heads of his 'followers.' 

If it needs to be just to get back to some semblance of mental sanity and relative quiet: End cable news and talk radio! For the good of the people!

CB
Professor Principal
7.1.4  CB  replied to  Ender @7.1.2    3 years ago

It used to be that this nation aspired to greatness through its constitutional ideology. Now, it appears one set of politicians see our model constitution as a boat 'drag' to spin the entirety of our country and our futures in a circle. While we 'rotate' and internally revolve around a forced axis other nations are realizing our deficiency/ies and setting their own series of courses to move away from and around us! Our national brand is being tarnished- and not long from now could irreversibly rust in the minds of the world.

Forward looking thought: It is time to remove the deficiency called "gerrymandering." The practice has hardened and corrupted the minds of politicians who simply play up to power and not to facts!

Gerrymandering has shown its worse character traits and behaviors. We must demand that politicians PURIFY the nation of its corrosiveness! No more safe seats for any politician/s who cling to power over and beyond FACT!

Sophomore Guide
7.1.5  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  CB @7.1.3    3 years ago
get rid of the 24/7 cable talk

O boy do I agree. There isn't enough real news to report and as you said the rest is filed with partisanship Bull Shit that is just designed to spilt the people and gain loyal viewer ship for their profits and power... Just as our current politicians do.  As WE THE PEOPLE lose our power to both.

So Sad that we as a nation of independent humans are allowing this to happen. 

IMO: Straight party line voting sure as hell doesn't help any one of us. 

CB
Professor Principal
7.1.6  CB  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @7.1.5    3 years ago

The rest of cable news 24/7 cycle is equipped with partisanship, agenda, and 'filler.' Cable news has learned all the cruel tricks of survival. . .and prospering its developing appetites.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
7.2  Ronin2  replied to  Ender @7    3 years ago

Imagine about blatantly lying about something repeatedly, loudly, and often and expect to be taken seriously?

No one is stopping people in voting lines from having food and water. They can bring it themselves; buy it from vendors that I have seen hit up those long lines repeatedly; or order grubhub to bring it to them in line.

What the law is preventing is Democrat and Republican surrogates from giving out free food and water to those voters waiting in line. No influence peddling, no last second voter influencing, no swaying of voters that are on the fence. 

Only the left seems to have a problem with the damn law. Figures- it seems to have a problem with any law that doesn't directly benefit them. Which is the reason they are pushing H.R.1 so damn hard.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
7.2.1  Split Personality  replied to  Ronin2 @7.2    3 years ago

More partisan logic?

See #9

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

You simply take your own water and snacks...end of problem.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
8.1  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8    3 years ago

Again with the logic Paula. No one wants logic and level-headed answers! jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

For those of you that require the s/ tag... that was sarcasm.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
9  Split Personality    3 years ago

The root of it all.  The 150 foot limitations and fear of BLM caused high tensions in Dougherty County when officials did not know what the law was, attempting to stop BLM while actually breaking the law themselves.  No worries, change the laws.

Despite What Georgia Officials Say, It’s Not Illegal to Send Pizza to the Polls

Nov 3, 2020, 8:38am Anoa Changa

The trouble at the Dougherty County polling site started on the second day of early voting, when Sarah Webster, a white woman upset at increased turnout and the presence of Black Voters Matter volunteers, falsely accused them of “buying votes” and “campaigning” within 150 feet of the polling place, in violation of Georgia’s electioneering laws.

Webster, who had a gun holstered on her hip , was the only one present actually breaking the law —guns are not permitted within 150 feet of a polling place in Georgia. Webster took photos of the volunteers and their vehicles, while yelling slurs at them and brandishing her gun. Webster then posted the photos on social media, telling others to be prepared and encouraging her followers to “armor up.”

Over the next couple of days, Black Voters Matter volunteers say Dougherty County Election Supervisor Ginger Nickerson called the sheriff’s office to instruct the volunteers that they needed to move back 150 feet from the polling location. Dougherty County Administrator Michael McCoy also intervened and repeatedly threatened volunteers with arrest for failing to be 150 feet from the polling location. There’s one problem: The 150 feet rule applies to those engaged in electioneering for candidates and campaigns. There is no indication the rule applies to nonpartisan civic engagement organizations like Black Voters Matter providing a service to the public.

Amna Farooqi, a member of the Election Protection Coalition, a group of nonpartisan organizations working to ensure voters rights are protected and every vote is counted, said during an election board meeting that Black Voters Matter did nothing wrong in providing snacks and water to the community.

“I want to be clear that Black Voters Matter, and all of the organizations in our coalition, are not campaign organizations,” Farooqi said. “We are nonpartisan. We have not said a word about supporting any candidate or campaign throughout this process.”

Who would think that white people would react irrationally to BLM volunteers or shirts or flags. /s

CB
Professor Principal
9.1  CB  replied to  Split Personality @9    3 years ago

The lies and deceits are like a virus infecting some conservatives. You can not believe them - and it is truly sad - not a word is trustworthy. You have to check, double-check, and then some more every activity some conservatives involve themselves. Such people are quite wretched, in my newly firm opinion on the subject.

Ender
Professor Principal
9.2  Ender  replied to  Split Personality @9    3 years ago

That sounds about right....

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.3  Tessylo  replied to  Split Personality @9    3 years ago

Thanks for the truth and the facts, as usual SP!

Sophomore Guide
11  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     3 years ago

"  give food or water to people waiting in line to vote. "

What about setting up unmanned Water stations ? 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
11.1  Ronin2  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @11    3 years ago

That is too logical; and logic doesn't factor into this.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.2  Texan1211  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @11    3 years ago

It is allowed. Just drop your donation off to the local precinct and they can disburse it for you.