MLB pulls All-Star Game from Atlanta in protest of restrictive new voting law

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  2 weeks ago  •  296 comments

By:   David K. Li, Jane C. Timm and Adrianne Morales

MLB pulls All-Star Game from Atlanta in protest of restrictive new voting law
Major League Baseball pulled its annual All-Star Game out of Georgia, officials said Friday, in the wake of that state enacting a restrictive new voting law.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Major League Baseball on Friday pulled this year's All-Star Game out of Atlanta in protest of Georgia's new restrictive voting law.

The "Midsummer Classic" was set for July 13 at Truist Park, home of the Atlanta Braves, in addition to other activities connected to the game, including the annual MLB Draft.

"I have decided that the best way to demonstrate our values as a sport is by relocating this year's All-Star Game and MLB Draft," Commissioner Robert D. Manfred Jr. said in a statement. "Major League Baseball fundamentally supports voting rights for all Americans and opposes restrictions to the ballot box."

Georgia Republicans passed restrictive changes to the state election process last month. The new law adds a host of restrictions, including requiring identification for mail voting and making it illegal to take food or water to voters in line.

Republican Gov. Brian Kemp signed the bill into law immediately, calling it "common sense" legislation while aligning himself with former President Donald Trump in remarks promoting the bill.

1617365506998_tdy_news_8a_blayne_georgia_voting_law_210402_1920x1080.focal-760x428.jpg

Backlash grows to controversial Georgia voting law

MLB is "finalizing a new host city and details about these events will be announced shortly," according to Manfred. The commissioner said All-Star Game festivities would still include tributes to Henry Aaron, the legendary Braves slugger who died earlier this year at age 86.

The All-Star Game, which features the best players of the National and American Leagues, had been slated for Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles last year but had to be cancelled because of the coronavirus pandemic.

"We proudly used our platform to encourage baseball fans and communities throughout our country to perform their civic duty and actively participate in the voting process," Manfred added. "Fair access to voting continues to have our game's unwavering support."

The Braves said they were "deeply disappointed" by the MLB action and had hoped the All-Star Game would serve as a vehicle to highlight the importance of voting rights.

"This was neither our decision, nor our recommendation and we are saddened that fans will not be able to see this event in our city," the team said in a statement.

"The Braves organization will continue to stress the importance of equal voting opportunities and we had had hoped our city could use this event as a platform to enhance the discussion."

Kemp defended the state's voter restrictions Friday and accused MLB of wilting to "fear" and "political opportunism."

"Georgians — and all Americans — should fully understand what the MLB's knee-jerk decision means: cancel culture and woke political activists are coming for every aspect of your life, sports included," he said in a statement. "If the left doesn't agree with you, facts and the truth do not matter."

While Truist Park is in Cobb County, just outside Atlanta, Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms warned her constituents that MLB's move will likely be the first "of many dominoes to fall, until the unnecessary barriers put in place to restrict access to the ballot box are removed."

"Just as elections have consequences, so do the actions of those who are elected," she said in a statement.

U.S. Sen. Jon Ossoff, a Democrat who represents Georgia, said that the state's Republican Party is out of control and that Georgia is "hemorrhaging business and jobs because of their disastrous new Jim Crow voting law."

"The Governor and the legislature are deliberately making it harder for Black voters to vote," Ossoff said in a statement Friday. "They know it. Everybody knows it, and this egregious and immoral assault on voting rights has also put our state's economy at grave risk."

U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio, a Republican from neighboring Florida, blasted MLB for caving to public pressure.

"Why are we still listening to these woke corporate hypocrites on taxes regulations & anti-trust?" Rubio tweeted.

This week, President Joe Biden said he would strongly support moving the All-Star Game out of Georgia to protest the new law.

MLB's action follows strong statements from the Georgia-based companies Coca-Cola and Delta Airlines blasting the state's law.

Stacey Abrams, the former Georgia House of Representatives minority leader, said in a statement Friday that she's "disappointed" that MLB officials took the All-Star Game from Atlanta but is "proud of their stance on voting rights."

Georgia Republicans "traded economic opportunity for suppression," said Abrams, who is credited with voter-drive efforts that delivered the Peach State to Biden and two Democrats to the U.S. Senate.

"As I have stated, I respect boycotts, although I don't want to see Georgia families hurt by lost events and jobs," she added. "Georgians targeted by voter suppression will be hurt as opportunities go to other states. We should not abandon the victims of GOP malice and lies — we must stand together."

Article is LOCKED by moderator [Split Personality]
[]

devangelical
PhD Principal
1  devangelical    2 weeks ago

gee, I wonder if there are any other pro sports players unions in atlanta willing to stand in solidarity? it's going to get a lot worse for the republiklan party in georgia...

Dulay
Professor Principal
1.1  Dulay  replied to  devangelical @1    2 weeks ago

They're really screwed if the 'Hollywood elites' chose to boycott. The loss of $10 billion in income and 5000+ high paying jobs will leave a mark. 

devangelical
PhD Principal
1.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Dulay @1.1    2 weeks ago

Coyote-Umbrella.jpg

Texan1211
PhD Principal
1.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @1.1    2 weeks ago

Let's see how much "integrity" MLB really has.

Will MLB force the Braves to play out-of-state, too?

I bet not.

Dulay
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.2    2 weeks ago

jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
PhD Principal
1.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @1.1.3    2 weeks ago

yeah, I didn't figure everyone would get it.

Dulay
Professor Principal
1.1.5  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.4    2 weeks ago

Oh I 'get it' Tex, it just makes NO SENSE.

I don't figure you will get it...

Texan1211
PhD Principal
1.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @1.1.5    2 weeks ago

not a problem for me if you don't get it.

Dulay
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.6    2 weeks ago

I already said that I do get it Tex.

Texan1211
PhD Principal
1.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @1.1.7    2 weeks ago

yes, I know what you said

bugsy
PhD Guide
1.1.9  bugsy  replied to  Dulay @1.1.7    2 weeks ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
PhD Principal
1.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  bugsy @1.1.9    2 weeks ago

lol

igknorantzrulz
Senior Participates
1.2  igknorantzrulz  replied to  devangelical @1    2 weeks ago

Good ! These A Whole B sides quite a few others  deserve to be schooled in blooming boycotts for blatant voter suppression purposly proposed and written to reduce the non-white vote are not just a brief case to tote, they are serious baggage , that Georgians will be with saddled, as they will need draggage back to the old adage, that the demographic is changing fast, old whites are being replaced and won't last, like a broken boner in a cast spell that damns to Hell the visions our Fore Fathers of did tell of that which the will of the people need granted like a Pell, A window of opportunity shutting on a dying old white Community Chest , that by Chance, Monopolized on the LIES Trump and the GOP did create together with heavy pants down lying as "Won", were a bunch of Losers, "Lost" are the drunkin with power boozers cruise controlling to that which what they cling ,   cause know Won, wishes to be the dethroned King, but, the crown is no longer straight, and with this, they do luv the H8   as they continue their quest, ta Make America (Sewer) Grate Again...

Texan1211
PhD Principal
1.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  igknorantzrulz @1.2    2 weeks ago

I wonder how long Democrats will persist in lying about the law?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.2.6  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.1    2 weeks ago

Thread cleaned up for off topic. 

devangelical
PhD Principal
1.2.7  devangelical  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.6    2 weeks ago

you know, I spend a lot of time crafting site boundary pressing, yet compliant and provocative responses, to elicit the offensive and/or insulting replies. the very least you could do is give me access to them somehow. thank you in advance for your kind consideration.

pat wilson
Professor Guide
1.2.8  pat wilson  replied to  igknorantzrulz @1.2    2 weeks ago

Another word of art !

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.9  CB   replied to  igknorantzrulz @1.2    2 weeks ago

Mi "Poeta" we must continue to watch the 'binding ties' that seek to get out far ahead of the voter travelers, only  to net them in front and clamp shut around 'em in back. Forever the "On Guard."

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1.2.10  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.6    2 weeks ago
Thread cleaned up for off topic.

Damn it, Perrie!  Would you stop doing that until I have a chance to read the really juicy stuff?!?  My pleasurers are so few these days...

pat wilson
Professor Guide
1.2.11  pat wilson  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.2.10    2 weeks ago

Ha ! I've thought that too. We need a place to read all the deletions a la Heated Discussions, lol.

devangelical
PhD Principal
1.2.12  devangelical  replied to  pat wilson @1.2.11    one week ago

sounds like a great article topic for Meta.

Paula Bartholomew
PhD Guide
2  Paula Bartholomew    2 weeks ago

Sporting venues bring in a lot of money and jobs into the states hosting them.  Hitting states who want to go back to a Jim Crow mentality in their pocketbooks is the right move by the MLB. 

devangelical
PhD Principal
2.1  devangelical  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2    2 weeks ago

they'll find that being a racist isn't as much fun when their cash is flying out the window.

Paula Bartholomew
PhD Guide
2.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  devangelical @2.1    one week ago

According to the news, they stand to lose at least 100 million.  I bet his magats there that rely on the dollars and jobs MLB generates are now regretting sending Trump money and wasting their stim checks on guns/BBQ/beer/trips/Nascar.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3  Vic Eldred    2 weeks ago

What a biased report. How many times did it refer to the Georgia voting law as "restrictive?"  Actually, Georgia law allows for mail in voting without a reason. Even the state of New York demands a valid reason to vote by mail. As for the water, everyone gets to bring their own water. They really don't need the likes of political activists like Stacey Abrams to hand it out. Speaking of Abrams, she finds herself in a nice little box. It seems our always pandering president couldn't help himself during an interview on ESPN the other day. "Today's professional athletes are acting incredibly responsibly" he said.  Have the athletes or Joe Biden ever even read the Georgia voting law? Why does Joe Biden keep lying about it? 

What really bothers progressives is the voter ID requirement of a drivers license for a mail in ballot. What scares them about that?

The bottom line is MLB is taking the All-Star-Game away from Atlanta, Georgia. You know, good old Fulton County that voted for Biden in incredible ways. Stacey Abrams knows the meaning of that. Thus the quote in the above article: "she's "disappointed" that MLB officials took the All-Star Game from Atlanta but is "proud of their stance on voting rights."  The left wing media focused on the second part of it - google it and you'll see it. They ignored the first part of her statement - her disappointment, for it will hurt her Georgia voting base - the people and small businesses of Atlanta.

It's called karma.

Greg Jones
Masters Participates
3.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Vic Eldred @3    2 weeks ago

The good news is that several other states are considering similar common sense voting laws. It has gotten far too easy to cheat in some states. This tightening of the rules will keep absolutely no one from registering and voting.

If anything is unnecessary and unfair it is HR-1.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1    2 weeks ago

Voting can be made easy, but must always protect the integrity of the vote.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.1    2 weeks ago

Voting should be easy.  Why are states like Georgia making it harder for folks of color?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.2    2 weeks ago
Why are states like Georgia making it harder for folks of color?

Show us how?

devangelical
PhD Principal
3.1.4  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.1    2 weeks ago
Voting can be made easy, but must always protect the integrity of the vote.

gee, is that what trump supporters were doing in DC on 1/6/21?

Texan1211
PhD Principal
3.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @3.1.4    2 weeks ago

Damn, what's it like having an obsession that restricts the ability to converse normally?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.6  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.5    2 weeks ago

It's really simple, Tex. If one desires trustworthy, free, and fair elections, the norm should be 1-day, in-person, private-voting-booth, ID required, with VERY few exceptions. What we got in 2020 was a months-long free-for-all, courtesy of Marc Elias and Democrats want to keep it that way for devious political reasons i.e. a power grab.

Ender
PhD Principal
3.1.7  Ender  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.6    2 weeks ago

What bullshit. Saying an election can only be fair if it is held on one day only?

Pure partisan horseshit.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.8  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ender @3.1.7    2 weeks ago

It only worked for a couple of centuries.

Ender
PhD Principal
3.1.9  Ender  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.8    2 weeks ago

And for your 'couple of centuries' women were not allowed to vote, only land owners, etc.

Face it, the massive voter fraud myth is just that. A myth.

The only thing you all are trying to do is make it harder to vote.

Having 18th century views in the 21st century is a little backward thinking.

Texan1211
PhD Principal
3.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.6    2 weeks ago

Well, I am perfectly fine with early voting. Works here in Texas pretty well.

My county is wonderful---no assigned precincts--you can vote at any polls in the county.

Early voting here lasted over 2 weeks.

Plenty of time for EVERYONE To vote, if they made some type of small personal effort at all, of course.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.11  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.6    2 weeks ago
" If one desires trustworthy, free, and fair elections, the norm should be 1-day, in-person, private-voting-booth, ID required, with VERY few exceptions." 
How restrictive!
How did you vote Vic?  I guess you're one of those VERY few exceptions since you voted by mail and said those who didn't were lazy.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.12  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.8    2 weeks ago
".It only worked for a couple of centuries.
Is that how it worked for the former occupant of the White House?  The one who waddled out (and also told all staff to go home on the day of inauguration so he could fuck over President Biden as he waddled his big fat pig ass out the door) ?  Burned it all down on his way out like the big fat pig sore loser he is?
Is that how it worked for him?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.13  Tessylo  replied to  Ender @3.1.9    2 weeks ago

"And for your 'couple of centuries' women were not allowed to vote, only land owners, etc.

Face it, the massive voter fraud myth is just that. A myth.

Having 18th century views in the 21st century is a little backward thinking."

That's just fine for those who choose to live in the past and blame all the worlds ills on the 'evil radical leftists'

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.14  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ender @3.1.9    2 weeks ago

We can debate an opinion endlessly. None of that involves the Georgia law.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.15  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.13    2 weeks ago

Let's not debate the actual Georgia law, let's debate what Vic would like to see, as if it where the Georgia law.

I'm still waiting for to to prove your claim

Ender
PhD Principal
3.1.16  Ender  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.14    2 weeks ago

There is no debate. Some people hold draconian views.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.17  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.2    2 weeks ago
Why are states like Georgia making it harder for folks of color?

Again - TELL US HOW?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.18  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ender @3.1.16    2 weeks ago
There is no debate.

You bet!

Some people hold draconian views

And some have reckless views. Having months-long early voting is like telling a jury that they can vote at any time in a trial they they feel like.

gooseisgone
Senior Quiet
3.1.19  gooseisgone  replied to  Ender @3.1.9    2 weeks ago

Tell what part is "Hard".

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.20  Tessylo  replied to  Ender @3.1.16    2 weeks ago

"There is no debate. Some people hold draconian views."

And Georgia isn't the only state passing these restrictive, voter suppressing (people of color voter suppressing) laws.  There are many others.  

Ender
PhD Principal
3.1.21  Ender  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.18    2 weeks ago

No it is not. What a stupid comparison.

Ender
PhD Principal
3.1.22  Ender  replied to  gooseisgone @3.1.19    2 weeks ago

There is making access easier or harder.

Not a hard thing to understand.

Texan1211
PhD Principal
3.1.23  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @3.1.22    2 weeks ago

Is there anything in the law stipulating that white people are to be treated differently than any other voter?

How is the law suppressive?

Whose votes are suppressed, and how?

gooseisgone
Senior Quiet
3.1.24  gooseisgone  replied to  Ender @3.1.22    2 weeks ago

Access is actually easier. Compared to the law prior to Covid.

Ender
PhD Principal
3.1.25  Ender  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.23    2 weeks ago

Again, voting should be a right. After that fact there is only making access easier or harder.

There is making voting more accessible or more restrictive.

The fact that some cannot grasp this simple thing...

Ender
PhD Principal
3.1.26  Ender  replied to  gooseisgone @3.1.24    2 weeks ago

And some are desperately trying to change that.

Texan1211
PhD Principal
3.1.27  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @3.1.25    2 weeks ago

So give some examples of how the law is suppressing anyone, who, and how.

Should be easy enough after all the suppression claims.

BTW, can you point out anything in the law that shows where white people are to be treated any differently when voting than others?

gooseisgone
Senior Quiet
3.1.28  gooseisgone  replied to  Ender @3.1.26    2 weeks ago
And some are desperately trying to change that.

Who?

Ender
PhD Principal
3.1.29  Ender  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.27    2 weeks ago

What the fuck is so hard from this for you all to understand.

Cutting hours, cutting polling places, cutting early voting etc.

All restrictive measures.

Ender
PhD Principal
3.1.30  Ender  replied to  gooseisgone @3.1.28    2 weeks ago

Is on first.

Texan1211
PhD Principal
3.1.31  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @3.1.29    2 weeks ago

If it is the same for all, how is that suppressing people of color?

Are you claiming that things people of color have to do to vote is different from what whites must do to vote?

Ender
PhD Principal
3.1.32  Ender  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.31    2 weeks ago

I never said anything about race. Butt...

When polling places were taken from predominately Black communities...

Going after voting on Sunday's after a Black initiative of voting after church...

gooseisgone
Senior Quiet
3.1.33  gooseisgone  replied to  Ender @3.1.30    2 weeks ago
Is on first.

You don't know, I understand.

Texan1211
PhD Principal
3.1.34  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @3.1.32    2 weeks ago
When polling places were taken from predominately Black communities...

Show me that in the law.

Ender
PhD Principal
3.1.35  Ender  replied to  gooseisgone @3.1.33    2 weeks ago

I understand when people have no actual argument.

gooseisgone
Senior Quiet
3.1.36  gooseisgone  replied to  Ender @3.1.32    2 weeks ago
When polling places were taken from predominately Black communities... Going after voting on Sunday's after a Black initiative of voting after church..

Well...if all that were true I would agree with you, but unfortunately it's not. 

Ender
PhD Principal
3.1.37  Ender  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.34    2 weeks ago

I never said it was in the Georgia law.

Moving the goalposts I see...

Local officials across the country shuttered 868 polling places in the three years after the Supreme Court’s 2013 ruling, according to a 2016 report from the Leadership Conference Education Fund, the research arm of the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, a coalition of 200 civil rights groups.

Arizona, Louisiana and Texas, the report said, “have all made alarming reductions in polling places.”

“We are now seeing the fallout of that ruling,” said Kristen Clarke, the president and executive director of the Washington, D.C.-based Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law.

Polling places have often been used as political tools to shape the outcome of elections. Officials can reduce the voter participation of certain groups by eliminating polling places, and increase participation in other groups by placing precincts in key neighborhoods.

devangelical
PhD Principal
3.1.38  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.6    2 weeks ago
the norm should be 1-day, in-person, private-voting-booth, ID required, with VERY few exceptions

with republiklan efforts to restrict access to fewer polling places, I'd be very interested in seeing the logistics involved in getting a couple hundred million voters through  those voting booths in one day. by using their defective math, couldn't everyone in america be inoculated against the pandemic in 2 days? let's see the plans.

Texan1211
PhD Principal
3.1.39  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @3.1.37    2 weeks ago

[deleted]

What is the article about?

I could have sworn it was about MLB pulling the All-Star Game because of GA's "restrictive new voting LAW".

Show me one thing in the new law that makes it any harder for people of color to vote than it is for whites.

Ender
PhD Principal
3.1.40  Ender  replied to  gooseisgone @3.1.36    2 weeks ago
Counties with larger minority populations – most of them the urban centers of large metropolitan areas – were left with fewer polling sites and poll workers per active voter, according to an analysis that included data from the  Election Administration and Voting Survey  and the U.S. Census Bureau as well as local and state voting agencies.

In majority-minority urban  counties , voters lost an average of seven polling places and more than 200 of the workers who help them cast ballots between 2012 and 2016.

By contrast, in more than 1,000 counties where 90% or more of the population is white, voters in 2016 lost two polling locations and two workers on average.

gooseisgone
Senior Quiet
3.1.41  gooseisgone  replied to  Ender @3.1.35    2 weeks ago
I understand when people have no actual argument.

You are the one making the claim, now you want me to defend "your" claim.....got it. 

Ender
PhD Principal
3.1.42  Ender  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.39    2 weeks ago

Me deflect? Comical.

Once again, moving the goalpost.

Things can be explained time and again yet people will not hear when they have their fingers in their ears.

Texan1211
PhD Principal
3.1.43  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @3.1.38    2 weeks ago

Georgia has no where even close to 200 million voters.

Not legal ones, anyways!

Ender
PhD Principal
3.1.44  Ender  replied to  gooseisgone @3.1.41    2 weeks ago

And what claim was that?

Texan1211
PhD Principal
3.1.45  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @3.1.42    2 weeks ago

No one but you is moving anything.

The claims have been made that the new law is suppressing voters, and when pressed on how the law does that, no one can answer.

Ender
PhD Principal
3.1.46  Ender  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.45    2 weeks ago

It has been answered many times. I gave examples above. Not my problem if you ignore what was said.

How is what they are doing making it easier to vote?

Texan1211
PhD Principal
3.1.47  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @3.1.46    2 weeks ago

You have showed absolutely ZERO in the law that supports the claims of suppression.

Ender
PhD Principal
3.1.48  Ender  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.47    2 weeks ago

Again...there is only easier access or restrictions on access.

Very easy concept...for some.

gooseisgone
Senior Quiet
3.1.49  gooseisgone  replied to  Ender @3.1.40    2 weeks ago
In majority-minority urban  counties , voters lost an average of seven polling places

Did you even bother to look at the map "you" posted, Georgia doesn't have a polling shortage. Colorado has a polling shortage.

Texan1211
PhD Principal
3.1.50  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @3.1.48    2 weeks ago

Using your impeccable "logic" I suppose EVERY single state in the US is suppressing voters because polls aren't open 24/7/365!

Oh no, whatever shall we do?

jrSmiley_26_smiley_image.gif

gooseisgone
Senior Quiet
3.1.51  gooseisgone  replied to  Ender @3.1.44    2 weeks ago
And what claim was that?
"And some are desperately trying to change that".

Ender
PhD Principal
3.1.52  Ender  replied to  gooseisgone @3.1.49    2 weeks ago

The map was what was open in 2016. Closures have happened.

It was about country wide. The North East looks bad.

Ender
PhD Principal
3.1.53  Ender  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.50    2 weeks ago

So you have nothing...

And some, like your brethren want only a single day...

Ender
PhD Principal
3.1.54  Ender  replied to  gooseisgone @3.1.51    2 weeks ago
And what claim was that?
"And some are desperately trying to change that".

You cannot see all the republican bills in committee or being passed that put restrictions on voting?

Texan1211
PhD Principal
3.1.55  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @3.1.53    2 weeks ago

I gave you something, you just don't like it.

Ender
PhD Principal
3.1.56  Ender  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.55    2 weeks ago

You gave nothing but inane questions.

Texan1211
PhD Principal
3.1.57  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @3.1.56    2 weeks ago

jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

gooseisgone
Senior Quiet
3.1.58  gooseisgone  replied to  Ender @3.1.54    2 weeks ago
being passed that put restrictions on voting

I see the bill, I don't see the so called restrictions. Tell me who has been restricted vs their previous law. 

Ender
PhD Principal
3.1.59  Ender  replied to  gooseisgone @3.1.58    2 weeks ago

Willfully obtuse...

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.60  CB   replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.1    2 weeks ago

"Integrity" is a tangible thing, not a buzzword, Vic. Show the evidence for the crime? And if/when you do - - - give its court date for a hearing out!

gooseisgone
Senior Quiet
3.1.61  gooseisgone  replied to  Ender @3.1.59    2 weeks ago
Willfully obtuse...

So you don't know the new law from the old vs covid.....I see.

Ender
PhD Principal
3.1.62  Ender  replied to  gooseisgone @3.1.61    2 weeks ago

Have nothing I see.

Tell me, what do any of these laws have to do with election security?

I will give you a hint...nothing.

Why do you think it would be a good thing to put all the power in the legislative branch? That they can replace election officials?

That is basically the wolves guarding the hen house.

Pay no attention to what is actually happening. Just ask stupid questions and refuse to hear the answers.

devangelical
PhD Principal
3.1.63  devangelical  replied to  gooseisgone @3.1.49    one week ago
Colorado has a polling shortage.

Colorado has been a vote by mail state for 7 years. #1 in election integrity and #2 in voter turnout percentage of registered voters with same day voter registration also available. >link<

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.64  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @3.1.63    one week ago
"Colorado has a polling shortage."
jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Colorado has been a vote by mail state for 7 years.   #1   in election integrity and   #2   in voter turnout percentage of registered voters with same day voter registration also available.

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

Dulay
Professor Principal
3.1.65  Dulay  replied to  gooseisgone @3.1.49    one week ago

Since Colorado has UNIVERSAL mail in voting, how many polling places do they NEED? Colorado rated #2 in turnout yet NO lines at polling places. 

Considering the fact that paleo-conservative are trying to claim that Colorado's election laws are MORE restrictive than Georgia's, would any of you advocate for Georgia to adopt Colorado's? 

gooseisgone
Senior Quiet
3.1.66  gooseisgone  replied to  Dulay @3.1.65    one week ago
Considering the fact that paleo-conservative are trying to claim that Colorado's election laws are MORE restrictive

Don't know anything about Colorado's election laws, never said they were more restrictive, I do know that the move of the All Star Game will financially impact minorities tremendously and give a gift to the primarily white population of Colorado....Good Job MLB 

would any of you advocate for Georgia to adopt Colorado's? 

State's set their own election laws, why would you even suggest such a thing. 

Dulay
Professor Principal
3.1.67  Dulay  replied to  gooseisgone @3.1.66    one week ago
Don't know anything about Colorado's election laws, never said they were more restrictive

Well you pretended to when you posted:

That would sound restrictive if one was unaware of 'the rest of the story'. 

State's set their own election laws, why would you even suggest such a thing. 

Then why are all of you and yours comparing Georgia to other states? To each his own right? 

gooseisgone
Senior Quiet
3.1.68  gooseisgone  replied to  Dulay @3.1.67    one week ago
Well you pretended to when you posted:

I never said shit about their laws.

They do....... has nothing to do with their voting laws.  I was looking at the link posted by ender 

Midterm elections: Closed polling places hit minority counties harder (usatoday.com) about half way down the article hover over the Polling Map and look at how many people are assigned to a polling location in Colorado, some over 16,000 per location compared to Georgia. 

Then why are all of you and yours comparing Georgia to other states? To each his own right? 

Because they were making the claim that Georgia had a polling location problem, I just happened to pick Colorado, I didn't even know the game had been changed to Colorado when I posted it. 

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.69  CB   replied to  gooseisgone @3.1.66    one week ago
All Star Game will financially impact minorities tremendously

Will affect all the Georgia majority too tremendously.

Dulay
Professor Principal
3.1.70  Dulay  replied to  gooseisgone @3.1.68    one week ago
I never said shit about their laws.

So now you're pretending that polling places have nothing to do with their election laws. jrSmiley_84_smiley_image.gif

I was looking at the link posted by ender 

The link where is states:

Other closures can be tied to early voting and alternative voting initiatives in some states . More people voting before Election Day means fewer sites and workers are needed. For instance, USA TODAY ignored Colorado, Oregon and Washington in its analysis because they developed mail-in voting initiatives in recent years, decreasing demand for in-person voting.

Which clearly connects the lower number of polling places to mail-in voting initiatives, which BTFW are ALSO part of their election laws. 

Because they were making the claim that Georgia had a polling location problem, I just happened to pick Colorado, I didn't even know the game had been changed to Colorado when I posted it. 

Yet the REASON for the lower number of polling places in Colorado is clearly stated in the link you posted. So Colorado DOESN'T have a polling place problem. PERIOD, full stop. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @3    2 weeks ago

It is restrictive.  It's voter suppression.  

gooseisgone
Senior Quiet
3.2.1  gooseisgone  replied to  Tessylo @3.2    2 weeks ago
It's voter suppression

Who is being suppressed?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.2  Tessylo  replied to  gooseisgone @3.2.1    2 weeks ago

Haven't you been paying attention?

gooseisgone
Senior Quiet
3.2.3  gooseisgone  replied to  Tessylo @3.2.2    2 weeks ago
Haven't you been paying attention?

So you don't know.

bugsy
PhD Guide
3.2.4  bugsy  replied to  gooseisgone @3.2.3    2 weeks ago
So you don't know.

No, she doesn't. And like it has been pointed out so many times, no one on here has been able to show anything that is suppressive.

All most libs know and follow is when they getting their talking points and marching orders, they don't know how to think objectively. They just go out and repeat what they are told...no questions asked.

CB
Professor Principal
3.2.5  CB   replied to  bugsy @3.2.4    2 weeks ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif . Donald Trump.

igknorantzrulz
Senior Participates
3.2.6  igknorantzrulz  replied to  bugsy @3.2.4    2 weeks ago
They just go out and repeat what they are told...no questions asked.

who the hell do i parrot...?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.7  Tessylo  replied to  bugsy @3.2.4    2 weeks ago

Projection, deflection, denial . . . 

bugsy
PhD Guide
3.2.8  bugsy  replied to  igknorantzrulz @3.2.6    2 weeks ago
who the hell do i parrot...?

Nobody, really. You rarely make sense in the first place.

bugsy
PhD Guide
3.2.9  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @3.2.7    2 weeks ago

Truth, truth and reality

Deal with it.

Dulay
Professor Principal
3.3  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @3    2 weeks ago
What a biased report. How many times did it refer to the Georgia voting law as "restrictive?"  

Well since the example they cited is indeed a restriction, why do you think it's biased? 

They really don't need the likes of political activists like Stacey Abrams to hand it out. Speaking of Abrams, she finds herself in a nice little box.

Do you have any evidence that Abrams had ANYTHING to do with the MLB's decision? Link? 

Oh and what 'little box' has Abrams found herself in Vic? 

The bottom line is MLB is taking the All-Star-Game away from Atlanta, Georgia. You know, good old Fulton County that voted for Biden in incredible ways.

What 'incredible ways' Vic? How many MORE recounts do you need before you admit that there was NO systemic voter fraud in Georgia? 

They ignored the first part of her statement - her disappointment, for it will hurt her Georgia voting base - the people and small businesses of Atlanta.

You're hanging your hat on the idea that Abrams is running for office in Georgia. 

'We' already know that Kemp has set up a 'Stop Stacey' pac but that's not proof of anything but fear...

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.3.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dulay @3.3    2 weeks ago
Well since the example they cited is indeed a restriction

What example?

Do you have any evidence that Abrams had ANYTHING to do with the MLB's decision?

Where did I say Abrams had anything to do with MLB's decision?

Oh and what 'little box' has Abrams found herself in Vic? 

As her comment clearly shows, she finds herself "proud of their stance" while "disappointed" with it's results for the people of Atlanta. I though everyone could understand.

What 'incredible ways' Vic?

Cobb, Fulton, and Gwinnett accounted for 168,703, or 76%, of Biden’s 221,751 vote margin gain. Wouldn't you call that incredible?

How many MORE recounts do you need before you admit that there was NO systemic voter fraud in Georgia? 

Now you've got me "claiming fraud."  No Dulay, I don't think anyone can really say one way or the other.

You're hanging your hat on the idea that Abrams is running for office in Georgia. 

Abrams is a key player in GA politics whether or not she runs for Governor.

pat wilson
Professor Guide
3.3.2  pat wilson  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.3.1    2 weeks ago
Cobb, Fulton, and Gwinnett accounted for 168,703, or 76%, of Biden’s 221,751 vote margin gain. Wouldn't you call that incredible?

No. Fulton County alone is the most populous county in the state which includes Atlanta. It makes perfect sense that most of Biden's vote gain came from there. This is not complicated.

Dulay
Professor Principal
3.3.3  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.3.1    2 weeks ago
What example?

I thought you read the seed Vic. 

Where did I say Abrams had anything to do with MLB's decision?

Well since the seed is about the MLB and your comment only cites Abrams it's obvious. 

Well since those three counties are the MOST populous, NO. Those are all counties that make up Atlanta and their population grew by over 400,000 since the 2016 election. But hey, believe all the conspiracy bullshit you want to Vic. 

Now you've got me "claiming fraud."  No Dulay, I don't think anyone can really say one way or the other.

If not fraud, what caused Cobb, Fulton, and Gwinnett counties voting results to be 'incredible' Vic? 

Abrams is a key player in GA politics whether or not she runs for Governor.

Yet if Abrams isn't running, she has no 'voting base'. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.3.4  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dulay @3.3.3    2 weeks ago
Yet if Abrams isn't running, she has no 'voting base'. 

Not so, she has been very active in recent GA elections, despite not running personally.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.3.5  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.3.4    2 weeks ago

Abrams is getting people out to vote!  How dare she!

She probably was a major player in turning Georgia Blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dulay
Professor Principal
3.3.6  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.3.4    2 weeks ago
Not so, she has been very active in recent GA elections, despite not running personally.

LOTS of people were active in their states recent elections Vic. That doesn't mean they have a 'voter base'. 

devangelical
PhD Principal
3.4  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @3    2 weeks ago
It's called karma.

I think you meant southern white supremacists.. er, conservatives regressing to their "good old days".

Texan1211
PhD Principal
3.4.1  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @3.4    2 weeks ago

Nope. most of those racist Democrats who passed Jim Crow have died off by now, thank God!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.4.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @3.4.1    2 weeks ago

It's all the left has - divide us by race!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.4.3  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @3.4    2 weeks ago

"I think you meant southern white supremacists.. er, conservatives regressing to their "good old days"."

You certainly have that correct devangelical

Your link is 100% accurate.  Those were the 'good ole' days' certainly for some folks!

gooseisgone
Senior Quiet
3.4.4  gooseisgone  replied to  devangelical @3.4    2 weeks ago
southern white supremacists..

Is there something in the new law that says blacks can't vote?

Texan1211
PhD Principal
3.4.5  Texan1211  replied to  gooseisgone @3.4.4    2 weeks ago
Is there something in the new law that says blacks can't vote?

Heck, they can't even say how the law is suppressive, although many are spouting that it is. None of them are able to answer exactly how.

Weird, huh?

gooseisgone
Senior Quiet
3.4.6  gooseisgone  replied to  Texan1211 @3.4.5    2 weeks ago
Heck, they can't even say how the law is suppressive

well.........you never know those dead people may just want to rise from the grave to vote for Ol Joe. 

CB
Professor Principal
3.4.7  CB   replied to  Vic Eldred @3.4.2    2 weeks ago

You're kidding right?

BB1f05Gi.img?h=450&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

© From Gov. Brian Kemp/Twitter Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp signs S.B. 202 on Thursday, March 25. Kimberly Wallace says the painting behind him depicts the plantation on which her family members worked, going back to slavery.

CB
Professor Principal
3.4.8  CB   replied to  gooseisgone @3.4.4    2 weeks ago

Is there some unspoken reason why democrats must vote to republican liking? Apparently, the more people to 'come out' to vote is not suitable for republicans: Why?

Donald Trump says making voting easy is a bad thing. What do you say about it, Gooseisgone ?

gooseisgone
Senior Quiet
3.4.9  gooseisgone  replied to  CB @3.4.8    2 weeks ago
Is there some unspoken reason why democrats must vote to republican liking?

Last time I checked the laws apply to EVERYONE.

What do you say about it, Gooseisgone

You get one vote and have to prove who you are to cast it, do you disagree with that. 

CB
Professor Principal
3.4.10  CB   replied to  gooseisgone @3.4.9    2 weeks ago
Is there some unspoken reason why democrats must vote to republican liking?
Last time I checked the laws apply to EVERYONE.

You didn't touch on the question. Care to revisit it and respond? Or do you choose to move on?

One person - one vote (each). That I agree.

Other states are 'satiated' in the proving 'department' with their standards and so Georgia was too—until Trump "spoke." So to whom are Georgia voters to prove themselves? Are these red-states legislatures trying to satiate states or Trump (behind the scenes)?

Why do some conservatives protest cheating in elections when you have no evidence to take to courts?

Why do you struggle against (more) freedom?

gooseisgone
Senior Quiet
3.4.11  gooseisgone  replied to  CB @3.4.10    one week ago
You didn't touch on the question. Care to revisit it and respond?

There's nothing to respond to, the law is the same for everyone, you can't seem to tell me what the issue is.  Is it photo I D, you don't have some unattended drop box where no one can monitor it, voting should become a season, you need to prove who you are to receive a mail in ballot, what's your problem? 

until Trump "spoke.

Here's a news flash "Trump is no longer in office" and "he doesn't live in Georgia" so stop with the TDS. 

Why do you struggle against (more) freedom?

Nothing in this law is reducing anyone's freedom unless you can tell me who and how there losing their freedom. 

CB
Professor Principal
3.4.12  CB   replied to  gooseisgone @3.4.11    one week ago
[W]hat the issue is.  Is it photo I D, you don't have some unattended drop box where no one can monitor it, voting should become a season, you need to prove who you are to receive a mail in ballot

If you don't know the 'issues' why are you so 'strong' on confirming modifications? Is this purely partisan for you? Should the opposing side have a say in how governance performs: It's all our lives involved-not just conservative determinate whims.

Moreover, if there are "unattended drop boxes" and I don't know what you mean about "voting season" or if you meant to put it that way, and signature comparing does works sufficiently for people who are not looking to make idle accusations  (assuming the worse in one side or the other!).

Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger describes Georgia election administration system as  "the gold standard" for the United States.
" Georgia is recognized as a national leader in elections. It was the first state in the country to implement the trifecta of automatic voter registration, at least 16 days of early voting (which has been called the “gold standard” ), and no-excuse absentee voting. Georgia continues to set records for voter turnout and election participation, seeing the largest increase in average turnout of any other state in the 2018 midterm election and record primary turnout in 2020, with over 1.1 million absentee by mail voters and over 1.2 million in-person voters utilizing Georgia’s new, secure, paper ballot voting system."

A high-ranking republican made the quoted claim above:

Do you agree that a republican Secretary of State
should be able to make pronouncements
that have the best interests of
the Republican Party (and our shared country) at heart?

Yes or NO?

Why does the new GOP modification to the voting law
in Georgia seek to 'yank' power from the duly
elected Secretary of State and give it to
a more 'pleasing official' on a popular but unprovable
GOP
whim?

Is it okay for the GOP to malign (speak evil of) the voting public
when it disagrees with their vote judgement, in your opinion?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.5  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @3    2 weeks ago
As for the water, everyone gets to bring their own water. They really don't need the likes of political activists like Stacey Abrams to hand it out. Speaking of Abrams, she finds herself in a nice little box.

Oh please. Like anyone ever changed their mind while standing in line to vote.... especially over a bottle of water. 

gooseisgone
Senior Quiet
3.5.1  gooseisgone  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.5    2 weeks ago
Oh please. Like anyone ever changed their mind while standing in line to vote.... especially over a bottle of water. 

A bottle of water isn't the point, its "who" gives it to people and where does it stop, I give you a bottle of water, how about a hamburger, how about a towel, how about an Umbrella, how about a $20 bill, how about a $100. etc  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.5.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.5    2 weeks ago

Is all this really about water?  Or is it about verifying those signatures?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.5.3  Tessylo  replied to  gooseisgone @3.5.1    2 weeks ago

jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

CB
Professor Principal
3.5.4  CB   replied to  Vic Eldred @3.5.2    2 weeks ago

NOW you want to verify that 'mericans are legal citizens, because some conservatives presume conservatives are not crooked? Tell me, where is your proof of your claims and innuendo? Where are the 'stolen' signatures illustrated? Yes, we do know that some conservatives are BIG SORE LOSERS who want the world to stop so they can win! Well, the world won't stop!

gooseisgone
Senior Quiet
3.5.5  gooseisgone  replied to  CB @3.5.4    one week ago
NOW you want to verify that 'mericans are legal citizens,

You should verify EVERYONE,  why do Democrats have such a hard time with that simple concept.

CB
Professor Principal
3.5.6  CB   replied to  gooseisgone @3.5.5    one week ago

Make your case that signature verification is a fraud. Post the cases of signature fraud. Explain why Trump fraud cases never materialized (except as a figment of his and his supporters imagination)!

Here is space: _________________________________________________________ .

gooseisgone
Senior Quiet
3.5.7  gooseisgone  replied to  CB @3.5.6    one week ago
Post the cases of signature fraud

Poll workers shouldn't be trying to match signatures when you can show them your drivers license or state ID. 

CB
Professor Principal
3.5.8  CB   replied to  gooseisgone @3.5.7    one week ago

Why? Freedom allows for signature matching. It works in "blue states" what the heck is up in red-states? (Maybe it works there too, until a "color-shift"?)

Dulay
Professor Principal
3.5.9  Dulay  replied to  gooseisgone @3.5.7    one week ago

Please name a state that includes a photo of the voter in their registration documentation. I'll wait...

Dulay
Professor Principal
3.5.10  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.5.2    one week ago

Audit of Georgia county’s 15,000 absentee-ballot signatures turns up zero fraud

That was an audit of Cobb county Vic. Remember, that was one of the counties that you insist had 'incredible' results...

gooseisgone
Senior Quiet
3.5.11  gooseisgone  replied to  CB @3.5.8    one week ago
Freedom allows for signature matching

Did you read that on a tee shirt or something.  My state looks at my drivers license and checks my signature on my license, with what's on the book where I am registered to vote, takes them about 5 seconds. I've been doing it since before voter ID was instituted in my state.  If you don't like that you should move to a blue state, where it could be anything goes. 

gooseisgone
Senior Quiet
3.5.12  gooseisgone  replied to  Dulay @3.5.9    one week ago
Please name a state that includes a photo of the voter in their registration

I have no idea, but now that you mentioned I like it. If you read what I wrote:                                                               

Poll workers shouldn't be trying to match signatures when you can show them your drivers license

Dulay
Professor Principal
3.5.13  Dulay  replied to  gooseisgone @3.5.12    one week ago
I have no idea, but now that you mentioned I like it.

So do I. So that makes my wonder why none of these voter ID states include a photo on their voter registration card. That would seem to shoot two birds with one stone. 

If you read what I wrote:   

I obviously DID since my comment is in direct reply to it's content.                                                            

Poll workers shouldn't be trying to match signatures when you can show them your drivers license

Again, without a voter registration photo to reference, a photo on a drivers license serves no purpose except to confirm that the person with the license got their picture on it.

$200 and they'll throw in a SS card too. 

See in reality, poll workers can't be expected to recognize a fake ID either. I seen many of them and can't tell the difference. 

CB
Professor Principal
3.5.14  CB   replied to  gooseisgone @3.5.11    one week ago

Goose,' we're not talking about you or me for that matter. FYI, I already live in a 'blue' political state, nevertheless.

Now then, freedom allows for signature matching already in Georgia. Red state republicans approved it, until the state turned 'purple' on them.

Why did republicans make the change? Why do humongous flag waving GOPers suppress Georgia's open voting policy?

Hallux
Freshman Expert
3.6  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @3    2 weeks ago

So ... the Republican Party is too cheap to hand out a 20 cent bottle of water?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.6.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Hallux @3.6    2 weeks ago

Yeah, why don't republicans hand out the water? What's the issue there?

Hallux
Freshman Expert
3.6.2  Hallux  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.6.1    2 weeks ago

I have no idea, when the kids come by at Halloween I hand out warm Scotch to their parents ... the kids have to go cold turkey.

CB
Professor Principal
3.6.3  CB   replied to  Hallux @3.6.2    2 weeks ago

HA!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.6.4  Tessylo  replied to  Hallux @3.6    2 weeks ago

"So ... the Republican Party is too cheap to hand out a 20 cent bottle of water?"

There's a joke I heard about lawyers when I was a kid.  This was during the winter - the newscaster said - "It was so cold today, the lawyers had their hands in their own pockets."

Makes me think of the 'conservatives/republicans' - they've always got their hands in someone else's pocket.  Heaven forbid they spend any of their own money.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.6.5  Tessylo  replied to  Hallux @3.6.2    2 weeks ago

"I have no idea, when the kids come by at Halloween I hand out warm Scotch to their parents ... the kids have to go cold turkey."

So is this what the kids get?  On the rocks?

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRiUSHtGGIMZH4qmQ3pkZuRT0ySVrhzgg-L402iztlajZ606nBuaZA5nUKobiQsNQlUeEi6Z3Vckw&usqp=CAc

CB
Professor Principal
3.7  CB   replied to  Vic Eldred @3    2 weeks ago
What really bothers progressives is the voter ID requirement of a drivers license for a mail in ballot. What scares them about that?

The fact may be that we can get the 'hardcases' who don't want to pay for ever 'regular' modifications to voting laws - why can the fearsome laws just settle down once and for all? Do gun rights laws get 're-racked' (reset) in catch as catch can fashion? Of course not. Voting needs less political party action across the board! Define the standard and maintain it. The hardcases (those severe laggards, the "gone to-ers" who never get around to it, we fear they will not vote in time. And that is a problem. Because well, voting is the thing! It really does not need stipulations that stifle the laggards from stepping out of the shadows?

BTW, Vic, the more freedoms across the board - the better for "US" right? Go 'America!' Big -Ass- Flag 'Americana.'  Yes or no?

I am sad that MLB has to react to Governor Kemp's action too. We know the 'devil' is in the details and its accompaniment: the Setup. Why limit dropboxes? Why make changes in the name of "limiting voter fraud" when we all know Georgia was blessed in 2018 and 2020 to be using a "gold standard" increasing voter numbers model?

Why did Governor Kemp and state House choose to give Itself, the Legislature Republican Majority, power over Georgia counties to suspend their officials and appoint a single administrator (AKA: "Plant") who do not "please" the republican Majority in due course?

Ronin2
Senior Quiet
4  Ronin2    2 weeks ago

So MLB proves it is as dumb as the President, media, Democrats, and their sheeple. Not one of them have read the damn law; or if they have they have failed to take off their woke glasses and can't grasp the meaning.

Reality be damn! This is about being woke and jumping on the lie band wagon. 

Maybe only Democrats should be allowed to run, set all of the voting rules, and make all of the decisions? That is what they are trying to bring this too.

CB
Professor Principal
4.1  CB   replied to  Ronin2 @4    2 weeks ago
Over the last week, we have engaged in thoughtful conversations with Clubs, former and current players, the Players Association, and The Players Alliance, among others, to listen to their views,” baseball commissioner Rob Manfred said in the statement. “I have decided that the best way to demonstrate our values as a sport is by relocating this year’s All-Star Game and MLB Draft.”

Manfred emphasized MLB’s support for voting rights. In 2020, MLB became the first professional sports league to join the non-partisan Civic Alliance to help build a future in which everyone participates in shaping the United Stat e,” Manfred’s statement said. “We proudly used our platform to encourage baseball fans and communities throughout our country to perform their civic duty and actively participate in the voting process . Fair access to voting continues to have our game’s unwavering support. ”

So there is your rationale. We can all recognize 'the hand' steering this campaign: Donald J. Trump.  MLB is not 'down' with the Trump (behind the scenes).

Okay, what freedoms does it violate to let more citizens vote?  Some conservatives SAY freedom is the thing: "Live free or Die" and yet here they are 'doctoring' the Georgia 'gold standard of voting paraphernalia: 

Why?

Texan1211
PhD Principal
4.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.1    2 weeks ago

perhaps you can point out in the law all the voter suppression that has been claimed. or how the law forces one group of people to do something to vote that another group doesn't have to do.

no one can seem to be very specific, just saying it is obvious.

if it is obvious, it should be easy to point out.

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.2  CB   replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.1    2 weeks ago

Perhaps you should ask MLB your question. @4.1. MLB is one industry that may have paid spokespeople who could have the time to suspend just on your half. What do you say?

What is obvious to me, us, everybody who can read, is some conservatives see nothing at all OBVIOUS about former president Donald J. Trump. Why should some conservatives see any other obvious 'thing'- with such a large 'Trump-beam' jugging out of their thinking?

cjcold
PhD Quiet
4.1.3  cjcold  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.1    one week ago
if it is obvious, it should be easy to point out.

It has been pointed out many times. Only a troll would keep asking for an answer that has been given many times.

Have always thought that your function here was as a far right wing troll.

Texan1211
PhD Principal
4.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  cjcold @4.1.3    one week ago
It has been pointed out many times

False. The questions have been asked many times, but the usual answer is "It's apparent" or "It's obvious" but always fail to cite where in the law it is voter suppression, who is suppressed, and how they are suppressed.

Stuff your little troll comments back in the hole they came from.

Texan1211
PhD Principal
4.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.1.2    one week ago

Oh, look, a Trump comment.

What a shocker!

Wow!

Do you find that it ever interferes with your ability to hold normal conversations, or is everyone just accustomed to you shouting out about Trump no matter the subject?

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.6  CB   replied to  cjcold @4.1.3    one week ago
Alright, this is what it  

giphy.gif

feels like most of the time.

Texan1211
PhD Principal
4.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  cjcold @4.1.3    one week ago

Tell you what, since your claim is that the answers have been given "many times", simply direct me to any post showing the answer as to what in the law is suppressive, who is being suppressed, and how they are suppressed.

Should even make it easier for you, PLUS you get the benefit of definitely proving me wrong!

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.8  CB   replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.5    one week ago

maxresdefault.jpg

(Trump) Question dodging time!

Texan1211
PhD Principal
4.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.1.8    one week ago

Can you hold a conversation without blurting out Trump?
Is the outlook so dang myopic that EVERY subject must be turned to Trump--even though he is no longer your President?

Why the fixation and fascination with all things Trump?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.10  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.5    one week ago

Not only is Trump keeping himself a story by going on numerous "news" shows and continuing to egregiously lie about the election,  the issue of voting reform in Georgia was created as an aftermath to Trump's preposterous claims about voter fraud there. Of course he is an acceptable reference in discussions of the All Star game. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.11  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.9    one week ago

You imagine that you are some great debater.  It is laughable. 

Texan1211
PhD Principal
4.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.10    one week ago

Only in the minds of people simply obsessed with Trump.

I had high hopes that the phenomena would fade after Trump lost, but alas, it has not.

I guess obsessions should be treated medically.

Texan1211
PhD Principal
4.1.13  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.11    one week ago
You imagine that you are some great debater.  It is laughable. 

Absolutely nothing in my post even remotely close to saying that.

What are you dreaming about?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.14  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.12    one week ago

You didnt even like people mentioning Trump when he was president.  Your opinion as to whether people should talk about him now is meaningless. 

Texan1211
PhD Principal
4.1.15  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.14    one week ago
You didnt even like people mentioning Trump when he was president. 

That is simply a completely FALSE statement.

Your opinion as to whether people should talk about him now is meaningless.

Do you really think your opinion is meaningful to anyone other than Trump-haters?

i don't care if people talk about him--provided he is the topic. Trying to derail every other conversation by including Trump unnecessarily is childish.

Just open another seed and talk about him until your heart's content!

This isn't about Trump no matter how hard y'all try to make it.

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.16  CB   replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.11    one week ago

He also fancies himself to be a 'psyche major,' I reckon. Subsequently, ignoring the drag on discussion. . . . .

Texan1211
PhD Principal
4.1.17  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.1.16    one week ago

See post 5 and take a shot at actually answering with specifics from the law you claim is suppressive.

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.18  CB   replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.17    one week ago

I don't work for you. So I don't have to "take a shot" at anything. That said, I want YOU to know that I have no interest in LECTURING some conservatives on historical, political, and/or current states of race relation and majority privilege  in this country. YOU will have to go away a while, discover for yourself at greater length, and return to us better informed. Some conservatives will have to keep up with more of what's happening in this country to others not like themselves.

Texan1211
PhD Principal
4.1.19  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.1.18    one week ago
I don't work for you. So I don't have to "take a shot" at anything.

A spectacularly silly comment to me, since those claims were never made.

That said, I want YOU to know that I have no interest in LECTURING some conservatives onhistorical,political, and/orcurrent states of race relation and majority privilege in this country.

I didn't ask for a lecture. I asked if you could logically and coherently defend your claim that the law is suppressive by quoting it. You have failed to do so.

Don't need the pity you lecture about race and white privilege and all the other things liberal progressives love to talk about rather than simply answering a simple question about their claims.

You claimed the law is suppressive and cannot offer up anything in the law to support your false claim.

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.20  CB   replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.19    one week ago

Since some conservatives, including you feel this way, I suggest y'all take the partisan (Trump-induced) bull patty and walk with it. Dig? I ain't going to spend time 'casting pearls before swine.'  When you/y'all want to deal with this, come back and have a real discussion. Not this.

Texan1211
PhD Principal
4.1.21  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.1.20    one week ago
Then you can take your partisan (Trump-induced) bull patty and walk with it. Dig?

Is it just impossible to have a conversation with you without you dragging your former President into it?

BTW, deflecting to Trump does absolutely nothing to prove your false claims about voter suppression in Georgia's law.

Dig?

I keep trying to have a conversation with you, but I am not interested in false claims which you can't support or Trump, since he isn't the topic here. You seem to want to talk about everything EXCEPT your false claims. Why?

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.22  CB   replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.21    one week ago

And, fancying yourself as a disciplined 'clinician' who talks around the edges of substantive matters is both time-consuming and redundant. Since some conservatives are hampered by reality (and Donald Trump's role in and out of it) - we're done ( again ). Here's a gift! People love animals: jrSmiley_95_smiley_image.png Take care. 

Texan1211
PhD Principal
4.1.23  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.1.22    one week ago

[deleted]

Ronin2
Senior Quiet
4.1.24  Ronin2  replied to  CB @4.1    one week ago

Which has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. Just espouses that MLB believed the lie and acted on it. Fuck them. I don't have to waste my time or money on their shitty sport, it was hard enough to watch as it was. Neither does anyone else that wants to let them know they should shut up and play the game and keep their political bullshit out of it.

Still can't point out what part of the law restricts voting rights? That is because it doesn't exist. Keep lying, keep spinning, keep saying "But Trruuummmmppppp!!!!!" It is all the left has.

Okay, what freedoms does it violate to letmorecitizens vote?

Show anything in the law that restricts any US citizens legal right to vote? This is getting to be a broken record. What the hell do Democrats and the left have against open and fair elections?

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.25  CB   replied to  Ronin2 @4.1.24    one week ago

What do you have against open and fair elections? Trump has plenty against them. His very nature is to cheat! And what that says about Trump supporters, surrogates and protectors - I will leave it up to them.

Donald Trump is behind this law, we all: SEE THE MAN!

You can't hide such an obnoxious figure as Donald Trump out of public view (he won't let that happen).

As for wasting time going through with a Trump supporter- who will never admit to anything right (or wrong?) life is better just putting reality where it belongs and letting you see it whether you relate to it or not. It's not going to be a problem for me - either way.

Texan1211
PhD Principal
4.1.26  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.1.25    one week ago
What do you have against open and fair elections?

Where did you pull THAT from?

Where has he even hinted he doesn't want fair and open elections?

What in the GA law would signal an end to fair and open elections?

Specifically, not broad generalities shouted by newscasters and Biden.

Texan1211
PhD Principal
4.1.27  Texan1211  replied to  Ronin2 @4.1.24    one week ago
Still can't point out what part of the law restricts voting rights? That is because it doesn't exist.

Stumps them all every single time!

Texan1211
PhD Principal
4.1.28  Texan1211  replied to  Ronin2 @4.1.24    one week ago
Still can't point out what part of the law restricts voting rights? That is because it doesn't exist. Keep lying, keep spinning, keep saying "But Trruuummmmppppp!!!!!" It is all the left has.

Rather sad to see Trump still being dragged into almost every conversation by those unwilling to let him go.

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.29  CB   replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.26    one week ago

You and I are done on this thread. I have nothing for you anymore at this point. See you above or below on another thread. (Not this one.)

Texan1211
PhD Principal
4.1.30  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.1.29    one week ago

We were done just as soon as I asked the tough questions.

Which we can see are still unanswered.

Texan1211
PhD Principal
5  Texan1211    2 weeks ago

Stump someone by asking them what in the law says white voters are treated differently than voters of color.

Ask what is suppressive about the new law.

Texan1211
PhD Principal
6  Texan1211    2 weeks ago

There will come a day when Democrats will proclaim that registering to vote is too restrictive to some folks. Or that the times are too short--no matter if they were 14 hours a day, or voting period is too short--even if it is 10 days.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
7  Vic Eldred    2 weeks ago

Barak Obama now thanking MLB for bullying the people of Georgia into accepting coordinated attempts to destroy election integrity.:

"Congratulations to MLB for taking a stand on behalf of voting rights for all citizens. There’s no better way for America’s pastime to honor the great Hank Aaron, who always led by example."......Barak Obama

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @7    2 weeks ago

I don't know why you insist on spelling President Obama's name incorrectly but here you go:  Here is the proper spelling of former President Barack Obama's name:

Barack Obama

44th U.S. President

Description

Description

Barack Hussein Obama II is an American politician and attorney who served as the 44th president of the United States from 2009 to 2017. A member of the Democratic Party, Obama was the first African-American president of the United States.   Wikipedia
Full name :   Barack Hussein Obama II
Height :   6′ 1″
Vice president :   Joe Biden   (2009–2017)
Presidential term :   January 20, 2009 – January 20, 2017

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.2  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @7    2 weeks ago

Thank you President Barack Obama!

Texan1211
PhD Principal
7.3  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @7    2 weeks ago

Yeah, but who really cares what the former President had to say about it anyways?

I know I sure don't!

cjcold
PhD Quiet
7.3.1  cjcold  replied to  Texan1211 @7.3    one week ago

Which former president?

There is only one of them looking at serious prison time.

CB
Professor Principal
7.4  CB   replied to  Vic Eldred @7    2 weeks ago

Bullying? Which half of Georgia? Or, do you claim all of Georgia for conservativism? Please be clear. Because one person's bullying is another's liberty!

Texan1211
PhD Principal
8  Texan1211    2 weeks ago

I wonder if MLB will be consistent and have the Atlanta Braves play all of their games out-of-state?

MrFrost
Masters Principal
8.1  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @8    2 weeks ago

I wonder if MLB will be consistent and have the Atlanta Braves play all of their games out-of-state?

The Braves home state is Georgia. 

The All Star Game has players from MANY different states involved. 

I am sure that you can see the difference. 

Texan1211
PhD Principal
8.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @8.1    2 weeks ago

[deleted]

MrFrost
Masters Principal
8.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.1    2 weeks ago
Why, I had no idea that the Atlanta Braves played their home games in Georgia! Wow!!!

Not shocked.

Again, really? Truly amazing! Wow!!

It fills my heart with glee knowing I have added to your education.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for such an enlightening post!

Wait until I explain the orbital mechanics of a star orbiting a black hole. 

Paula Bartholomew
PhD Guide
8.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  MrFrost @8.1.2    one week ago

I am waiting to hear why some socks disappear in a dryer.

cjcold
PhD Quiet
8.1.4  cjcold  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8.1.3    one week ago

It has to do with static electricity and parallel universes.

Ozzwald
PhD Quiet
8.1.5  Ozzwald  replied to  MrFrost @8.1.2    one week ago
Wait until I explain the orbital mechanics of a star orbiting a black hole.

I thought tidal forces would prevent a star from orbiting a black hole.  

Finally something interesting to discuss....

Ozzwald
PhD Quiet
8.1.6  Ozzwald  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8.1.3    one week ago
I am waiting to hear why some socks disappear in a dryer.

missing_socks1-730930.jpg

FLYNAVY1
Professor Expert
8.1.7  FLYNAVY1  replied to  cjcold @8.1.4    one week ago

It has to do with static electricity and parallel universes.

Hmmmm..... Then maybe Bounce or other fabric softeners do help keep socks within their own time-space continuum.   Fascinating!

FLYNAVY1
Professor Expert
8.1.8  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Ozzwald @8.1.6    one week ago

Maybe socks should be put on the side of milk cartons....

Sean Treacy
Professor Participates
9  Sean Treacy    2 weeks ago

I can't wait for all the corporations and people who support this to call for the boycott of Beijing Olympics. 

Texan1211
PhD Principal
9.1  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @9    2 weeks ago

They won't because they are hypocrites.

pat wilson
Professor Guide
9.2  pat wilson  replied to  Sean Treacy @9    2 weeks ago

Did you learn that one in stretch class ?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.2.1  Tessylo  replied to  pat wilson @9.2    2 weeks ago

Must be some new kind of yoga with a lot of 'twisting' involved and 'spinning' and 'stretching'

devangelical
PhD Principal
9.2.2  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @9.2.1    2 weeks ago

they get so limber after a session they can [deleted]

Hallux
Freshman Expert
9.3  Hallux  replied to  Sean Treacy @9    2 weeks ago
Google is not your enemy Sean ...

Nerm_L
Junior Principal
10  Nerm_L    2 weeks ago

Doesn't bother me.  Addressing climate change will require shutting down all the stadiums anyway.  Might as well begin getting used to it.

Tacos!
PhD Expert
11  Tacos!    2 weeks ago

Ridiculous and damaging gesture. Ridiculous because first of all, the law is not the atrocity people say it is, and the regulations you find there have similar counterparts in other states. Damaging because thousands of working class people, many of them people of color, will lose income over this. Another knee jerk reaction from a corporation made to score virtue signaling points, instead of actually helping people.

CB
Professor Principal
11.1  CB   replied to  Tacos! @11    2 weeks ago
Yeah? Well, even Dr. Martin Luther King learned we had to boycott sometimes and let the stench run up 'hill.'
SOMETIMES ONLY THE BURN WILL DO!

igknorantzrulz
Senior Participates
11.1.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  CB @11.1    2 weeks ago

A job well done in rebuttal of purposely ignorant persons, parsing, yet they are probably proud that they could point out in some sort of literal sense, that they have nothing in common, with common cents, cause they fear the 'Change' approaching rapidly. 

Tacos!
PhD Expert
11.1.2  Tacos!  replied to  CB @11.1    2 weeks ago

Shouldn’t your boycott be aimed at hurting the people who actually deserve it or influencing the people who can make change? I can see boycotting an individual business, but a whole city or state? This is the same chaotic approach that causes protestors to destroy businesses in their own neighborhoods and creates more harm than healing.

And in any event, there is a lot of dishonesty about what the new law does. Responsible people should look carefully at a thing like this before taking action, but it’s clear to me that very few people with opinions have actually done that. Mostly, they are getting their opinion from someone else. And they got their opinion from someone else. And on and on.

Texan1211
PhD Principal
11.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Tacos! @11.1.2    2 weeks ago

no, the boycott will hurt ordinary citizens, but then they can claim how these folks were mistreated by the man.

Tacos!
PhD Expert
11.1.4  Tacos!  replied to  Texan1211 @11.1.3    2 weeks ago

It’s just another example of taking action so that people can you’re taking action. No thought is given as to the consequences, though - good or bad.

CB
Professor Principal
11.1.5  CB   replied to  Tacos! @11.1.2    2 weeks ago

I don't have a boycott named for me. Responsible people - - - in industries like Coca Cola, Delta, and MLB you mean? It is Dr. Martin L. King and I quote:

“We came to see that, in the long run, it is more honorable to walk in dignity than ride in humiliation. So … we decided to substitute tired feet for tired souls, and walk the streets of Montgomery” ( Papers 3:486 )

So, the 'good' Dr. King started a long-running boycott.

Tacos!
PhD Expert
11.1.6  Tacos!  replied to  CB @11.1.5    2 weeks ago

Did he boycott integrated businesses?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1.7  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @11.1.2    2 weeks ago

[deleted]

CB
Professor Principal
11.1.8  CB   replied to  Tacos! @11.1.6    2 weeks ago

The boycott desegregated busing. The operative word being, "boycott."

People are tired of some conservatives "mountains" of trials and tribulations which apparently can't be surmounted. Our nation is suffering under its own internal weight (perpetual arguments and stresses) which some conservatives are content to 'sat' in all day and night long. Better to get up (as a united people) and exercise discipline in our politics once and for all for the betterment of the whole nation.

We can all be on our best as conservatives, independents, and liberals. I hope you can agree with me on this.

Ender
PhD Principal
11.1.9  Ender  replied to  Tacos! @11.1.6    2 weeks ago
In his statement, Trump blamed 'WOKE CANCEL CULTURE' for pressuring companies to fall in line against the new law, which defenders say cracks down on potential voting fraud.

Critics of the new law claim that it will limit voting access, particularly for people of color.

'Don't go back to their products until they relent,' Trump said. 'Never submit, never give up!'

So donald is upset about 'cancel culture' so he wants his followers to boycott (cancel) companies...

Can't make this shit up.

Kavika
Professor Principal
11.1.10  Kavika   replied to  Ender @11.1.9    2 weeks ago

He also wants to cancel all the republicans that hurt his poor little feelings. 

Ender
PhD Principal
11.1.11  Ender  replied to  Kavika @11.1.10    2 weeks ago

Wanna bet all the people complaining about boycotts will remain silent when donald wants them.

Probably fall in line.

Thrawn 31
Masters Guide
11.1.12  Thrawn 31  replied to  Ender @11.1.9    2 weeks ago

I know right? “Cancel culture” is bad until someone does something they don’t like, then it can’t happen fast enough. Hence why everyone who whines about it is a fucking idiot. It is called being able to disagree and make decisions based upon those disagreements. Every person and every company has that right. 

Tacos!
PhD Expert
11.1.13  Tacos!  replied to  CB @11.1.8    2 weeks ago

Return to my question. Did MLK boycott integrated businesses? Or were his actions targeted at people and businesses that actually deserved to be targeted?

CB
Professor Principal
11.1.14  CB   replied to  Tacos! @11.1.13    one week ago

Your answer is right there in front of you. What do you know about the Montgomery, Alabama bus boycott? There was no "integrated business" boycott in the sense you seen to be writing/asking about. The larger issue was state-sponsored segregation.

Tacos!
PhD Expert
11.1.15  Tacos!  replied to  CB @11.1.14    one week ago

OK, well when you have evidence of state sponsored segregation, let me know.

CB
Professor Principal
11.1.16  CB   replied to  Tacos! @11.1.15    one week ago

You asked about the MLK boycott specifically, my point is larger and in the present on voting rights (boycott). You can choose to ignore and dodge but that won't add anything to the discussion and the MLB and other corporate actions regarding current red-state voting modification practices, policies, and laws. Do you mean to enhance this discussion or just score dismissive 'points'?

I don't care about 'points.' Period.

Tacos!
PhD Expert
11.1.17  Tacos!  replied to  CB @11.1.16    one week ago
my point is larger and in the present on voting rights

No one in the present is losing their voting rights.

You can choose to ignore and dodge

You have given me nothing to ignore or dodge. The voting rights of Georgians are doing just fine. I have no problem looking at the actual text of the law and comparing it with previous law or law in other states for reference.

The new law holds up very well under examination. The same people who could vote in 2016, 2018, and 2020 will be able to vote in 2022 (except the dead ones). In some cases, they will have better access than they did in previous elections. If there are wait time issues in the next election, the law requires that they be fixed. Mobile drop boxes are going away for security reasons that I think are obvious, but the trade off is that every county will have at least one that sits in place. Previously, not every county had a drop box.

From what I have read, it actually looks like a package of sensible reforms that expand access where possible, while still respecting the need for security.

The point about the boycott is that even if you think there is a problem with Georgia’s new law, the boycott attacks people who had nothing to do with it. It’s cruel and unfair because it’s targeted unjustly.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1.18  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @11.1.17    one week ago

Republican Lawmakers Introduce Hundreds Of Bills To Restrict Voting Rights Nationwide

Sarah Ruiz-Grossman
· Reporter, HuffPost
Fri, April 2, 2021, 5:16 PM
Republican  lawmakers are currently pushing more than 300 bills in state legislatures seeking to  restrict access to the vote  across the country.

A new  report  released Thursday by the bipartisan Brennan Center for Justice tracks 361 bills introduced in 47 states with provisions that would make it harder for Americans to vote.

Five of the bills have already become law — in  Georgia , Iowa, Arkansas and Utah — and 55 more are moving through legislatures in 24 states. A majority of the bills seek to limit absentee voting, about a quarter aim to implement stricter voter ID requirements and others attempt to make registration more difficult, purge voter rolls or curb early voting.

Republicans’ sweeping attempt at voter suppression comes after  record voter turnout  in the 2020 election, in which Democrat  Joe Biden  won the presidency and Democrats won majorities in the House and Senate.

Restrictive voting laws  disproportionately block eligible voters who are Black , Latinx or  low-income  from casting a ballot.

“In a backlash to 2020’s historic voter turnout, and under the pretense of responding to baseless and racist allegations of voter fraud and election irregularities, state lawmakers have introduced a startling number of bills to curb the vote,” the Brennan Center wrote in its report.

Though not all of the bills will become law, and some that do may face legal challenges, the widespread legislation to make it harder for people to vote is alarming for democracy.

Texan1211
PhD Principal
11.1.19  Texan1211  replied to  Tacos! @11.1.17    one week ago

Ha ha! Rubio asked the Baseball Commissioner if he was going to give up his membership at Augusta!

Funny stuff!

CB
Professor Principal
11.1.20  CB   replied to  Tacos! @11.1.17    one week ago
The same people who could vote in 2016, 2018, and 2020 will be able to vote in 2022 (except the dead ones

You mean the "dead ones" some conservatives could not produce evidence of in any court of law? (May be they are figments 'voters' in some conservatives minds?)

Show evidence of them, please.

CB
Professor Principal
11.1.21  CB   replied to  Tacos! @11.1.17    one week ago
From what I have read, it actually looks like a package of sensible reforms that expand access where possible, while still respecting the need for security. The point about the boycott is that even if you think there is a problem with Georgia’s new law, the boycott attacks people who had nothing to do with it. It’s cruel and unfair because it’s targeted unjustly.

Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger describes Georgia election administration system as  "the gold standard" for the United States.

" Georgia is recognized as a national leader in elections. It was the first state in the country to implement the trifecta of automatic voter registration, at least 16 days of early voting (which has been called the “gold standard” ), and no-excuse absentee voting. Georgia continues to set records for voter turnout and election participation, seeing the largest increase in average turnout of any other state in the 2018 midterm election and record primary turnout in 2020, with over 1.1 million absentee by mail voters and over 1.2 million in-person voters utilizing Georgia’s new, secure, paper ballot voting system."

Why mess with a record-setting "gold standard"? And why is a Georgian republican governor SUPPRESSING its Georgian Republican Secretary of State for continuing such a proper achievement?

NOTE: What this Governor and other red-state governors are attempting and doing is not happening in a vacuum. We know for a fact through reporting that the GOP is not happy with losing red-states to purple or blue states status. Also, we presume Donald J. Trump is in those leaders' ears personally or through surrogates coordinating hopeful modifications so as to be so-called 'efficient' in manipulating voter turnout.

||

The Boycott(s). Minorities need some conservatives to be fair-minded managers of the voting systems in the states under their control. Do not defeat a "gold standard" record of voter turnout due to some unevidenced phantom-like set of voters ("dead ones").

The voting system in Georgia work efficiently and during a pandemic. What is disturbing? Could it be that it took a pandemic to expose the real power of white and minority voters combined in a republican controlled set of states?

CB
Professor Principal
11.1.22  CB   replied to  Tessylo @11.1.18    one week ago

These people know it. We know it, too! It's all bull patty they pull and then send out distractors to 'debate' dumb "patty" for days!

Tacos!
PhD Expert
11.1.23  Tacos!  replied to  CB @11.1.20    one week ago

Why don’t you try staying on topic instead of pursuing tangents? I made a statement about the law. Respond to that or I will ignore you.

Tacos!
PhD Expert
11.1.24  Tacos!  replied to  CB @11.1.21    one week ago

Apparently Kamala Harris and Stacey Abrams don’t think it’s anybody’s gold standard.

Presidential candidate Kamala Harris cited voter suppression as the reason fellow Democrats Stacey Abrams and Andrew Gillum lost their high-profile gubernatorial races during the 2018 midterm elections. "Let's say this loud and clear: Without voter suppression, Stacey Abrams would be the governor of Georgia; Andrew Gillum is the governor of Florida," the 2020 hopeful said during her keynote speech at the NAACP Freedom Fund dinner on Sunday.

So whose opinion are you going to go with? Or do you finally see that people of both parties have concerns about elections in Georgia and there might be room for reform?

CB
Professor Principal
11.1.25  CB   replied to  Tacos! @11.1.24    one week ago

Georgia's Stacey Abrams complain(s) about the 2018 gubernatorial election has little to do with voter drives and voter turnouts. That set of problems is beyond the scope of this discussion. For now:

A high-ranking republican made the quoted claim above:

Do you agree that a republican Secretary of State
should be able to make pronouncements
that have the best interests of
the Republican Party at heart?

Yes or NO?

Texan1211
PhD Principal
11.1.26  Texan1211  replied to  CB @11.1.20    one week ago
You mean the "dead ones" some conservatives could not produce evidence of in any court of law?

He CLEARLY stated that they could vote UNLESS they were dead.

Is there something untrue about that comment??

Do dead people regularly vote where YOU live?

CB
Professor Principal
11.1.27  CB   replied to  Texan1211 @11.1.26    one week ago

TACOS! - plaining?

Texan', When do the dead do anything other than 'RIP'? Essentially, resting in peace renders Tacos!'s parenthetical (and your retort) superfluous. Thus, the need for a clarification, because of a persistent narrative from some conservatives that dead people (or their stand-ins) vote in elections.

NOTE: I won't feel in any way compelled to continue "rabbit-holin'" with a 'Texan'—not today. I ask you now: Make your comments 'count' (substantive).

Texan1211
PhD Principal
11.1.28  Texan1211  replied to  CB @11.1.27    one week ago

Well, since Tacos didn't ever claim dead people vote, why are you taking such exception to his comment that just mentioned that if voters voted in those years, they would be allowed to vote in 2022------UNLESS they were dead.

THAT makes sense, your faux poutrage does not.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.2  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @11    2 weeks ago
"Ridiculous and damaging gesture. Ridiculous because first of all, the law is not the atrocity people say it is, and the regulations you find there have similar counterparts in other states. Damaging because thousands of working class people, many of them people of color, will lose income over this. Another knee jerk reaction from a corporation made to score virtue signaling points, instead of actually helping people."

It is an atrocity and the other states that are doing it - are suppressing votes also.  

You have no idea what virtue signaling is - no one does - it's a made up term to 'own the libs' and it's quite tiresome.  

Tacos!
PhD Expert
11.2.1  Tacos!  replied to  Tessylo @11.2    2 weeks ago

Two of those other states are New York and Delaware. No outrage for liberal states, including the home of the president. Gee, I wonder why?

You have no idea what virtue signaling is - no one does - it's a made up term to 'own the libs' and it's quite tiresome.  

Be honest, we all know what it means. Those who find it tiresome are the ones who are embarrassed by having their own virtue signaling exposed for all to see.

CB
Professor Principal
11.2.2  CB   replied to  Tacos! @11.2.1    2 weeks ago
Be honest, we all know what it means.

I know what it mean and you say you do as well? So what does "virtue signaling" mean in general, Tacos!?

Tacos!
PhD Expert
11.2.3  Tacos!  replied to  CB @11.2.2    2 weeks ago

It’s very simple. A person pretends to care about a thing, but really is acting only to look good to someone else.

CB
Professor Principal
11.2.4  CB   replied to  Tacos! @11.2.3    one week ago

That you know the definition: Good. Now why are you 'buzz-wording"? Decency is a real thing in this life, and not just a get out of caring "free card."

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.2.5  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @11.2.1    one week ago

Virtue signaling is made up bullshit.  Just like woke.  Just like cancel culture.

MADE UP BULLSHIT.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.2.6  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @11.2.1    one week ago
"Two of those other states are New York and Delaware."

PROVE IT.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.2.7  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @11.2.1    one week ago

I'm not embarrassed by something that doesn't exist.  

Tacos!
PhD Expert
11.2.8  Tacos!  replied to  Tessylo @11.2.6    one week ago
PROVE IT.

Now you know better than that. If I said it, I can prove it.

New York Consolidated Laws, Election Law - ELN § 17-140. Furnishing money or entertainment to induce attendance at polls

Any person who directly or indirectly by himself or through any other person in connection with or in respect of any election during the hours of voting on a day of a general, special or primary election gives or provides, or causes to be given or provided , or shall pay, wholly or in part, for any meat, drink, tobacco, refreshment or provision to or for any person , other than persons who are official representatives of the board of elections or political parties and committees and persons who are engaged as watchers, party representatives or workers assisting the candidate, except any such meat, drink, tobacco, refreshment or provision having a retail value of less than one dollar, which is given or provided to any person in a polling place without any identification of the person or entity supplying such provisions, is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

2019 Delaware Code Title 15 - Elections Chapter 31. Primary Elections
Subchapter IV Procedure at Polling Places
§ 3167 Bribery at primary elections; penalty.

Whoever , either in or out of this State, receives or accepts , or offers to receive or accept, or pays, transfers or delivers, or offers, or promises to pay, transfer or deliver, or contributes or offers, or promises to contribute to another to be paid or used, any money, or other valuable thing as a compensation, inducement or reward for the giving or withholding or in any manner influencing the giving or withholding a vote at any primary election held for the purpose of selecting delegates or representatives to any political convention thereafter to be held for the purpose of selecting candidates for public office or for the purpose of selecting delegates to a national political convention thereafter to be held for the purpose of nominating candidates for the office of President and Vice President of the United States, shall be fined not less than $100 nor more than $5,000 or imprisoned not less than 1 month nor more than 3 years, or both.

And yes, in case you’re wondering, free food and drink are “other valuable thing”s. You can’t just be walking up to people in line to vote and give them stuff, and not expect observers to think something corrupt is going on.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.2.9  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @11.2.8    one week ago

What's restrictive about the NY and DE laws?  DON'T SEE IT

Plus you haven't proven diddly.  

Those so-called restrictive laws are from 2019

FAIL

Tacos!
PhD Expert
11.2.10  Tacos!  replied to  Tessylo @11.2.9    one week ago
What's restrictive about the NY and DE laws?

Both states make it a crime to to give something of value for voting. Remember, we aren't talking about anonymous people walking up to any random person on the street and giving them aid. We are talking about people who may or may not be anonymous giving items of value only to people waiting in line to vote. That makes it a thing of value given for voting. That's a crime in some states. For example, Montana has a law that specifically prohibits giving out food.

In other states, state supreme courts have interpreted "things of value" to include food or water. On the other hand other states limit prohibitions to actually asking someone to vote a certain way in exchange for the thing given.

DON'T SEE IT

I could be mean right here, but I usually choose not to be. One of these days, I hope you will notice and appreciate it.

FAIL

And I could respond mean to this as well, but I'm not.

CB
Professor Principal
11.2.11  CB   replied to  Tacos! @11.2.10    one week ago

Pathetic irony: You can  buy sponsor (ahem) a politician's campaign with millions and there are proper rules for doing so; don't give people a simple staple of life on a hot day and long lines.

Tacos!
PhD Expert
11.2.12  Tacos!  replied to  CB @11.2.11    one week ago
a simple staple of life on a hot day

If it's such a simple staple, why can't people bring their own water? Or, at minimum, why can't the water be distributed either around the corner from the polling place, or by the polling place itself?

There is a history of election corruption and bribery in this country. 

How about if in addition to water, we hand out beer, and maybe some fried chicken? Would that be ok? Is there any line we won't cross?

Swilling the Planters With Bumbo: When Booze Bought Elections

Even the father of our country, George Washington, was known to bribe the electorate with booze. In his recent book Last Call: The Rise and Fall of Prohibition , Daniel Okrent writes: "When twenty-four-year-old George Washington first ran for a seat in the Virginia House of Burgesses, he attributed his defeat to his failure to provide enough alcohol for the voters. When he tried again two years later, Washington floated into office partly on the 144 gallons of rum, punch, hard cider and beer his election agent handed out—roughly half a gallon for every vote he received."

In the UK, it was called "treating" the voters. 

There is also a history of people breaking the rules while claiming "but I'm only doing [insert innocent activity]." To me, this is - or should be - well known human nature. I think it is disingenuous of people to act as if there is no possibility that the handing out of food or water to voters could be done with corrupt intent under the guise of humanitarianism. 

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
11.2.13  JaneDoe  replied to  Tacos! @11.2.12    one week ago
why can't people bring their own water? Or, at minimum, why can't the water be distributed either around the corner from the polling place, or by the polling place itself?

From the article 

• One provision of the new law includes a ban on giving away water or food to voters within a certain distance of voters or polling sites.

• The new law allows poll workers to set up self-serve water stations for voters to use.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.2.14  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @11.2.10    one week ago

It's from 2019 AND they're not restrictive.  

FAIL, AGAIN

Tacos!
PhD Expert
11.2.15  Tacos!  replied to  Tessylo @11.2.14    one week ago
It's from 2019

Wow, like so what?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.2.16  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @11.2.15    one week ago

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

The restrictive voting laws that republicans are passing weren't passed until after the former occupant of the White House lost!  In 2020

Dulay
Professor Principal
11.2.17  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @11.2.12    one week ago
There is a history of election corruption and bribery in this country. 

Yet the act of giving someone a bottle of water is NOT election corruption OR bribery in this country. Before this law, it was viewed as an act of kindness. 

Dulay
Professor Principal
11.2.18  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @11.2.10    one week ago
That makes it a thing of value given for voting.

Or an act of kindness given to meet a need. The HORROR!

Texan1211
PhD Principal
11.2.19  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @11.2.17    one week ago

then why do other states already have similar laws regarding water, etc.?

Dulay
Professor Principal
11.2.20  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @11.2.19    one week ago

Cite one Tex. 

Texan1211
PhD Principal
11.2.21  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @11.2.20    one week ago

New York.

Dulay
Professor Principal
11.2.22  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @11.2.21    one week ago

That's a state [or city], not a law. 

Texan1211
PhD Principal
11.2.23  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @11.2.22    one week ago

You asked me to cite one and I did.

Why complain?

Dulay
Professor Principal
11.2.24  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @11.2.23    one week ago
You asked me to cite one and I did.

I asked you to cite a law Tex. 

Do you need help finding the law that you are referencing? 

Why complain?

Still can't understand the difference between a comment and a complaint I see. 

Texan1211
PhD Principal
11.2.25  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @11.2.24    one week ago

actually, you clearly did no such thing. in fact, you didn't mention a law in your "cite one" comment.

Dulay
Professor Principal
11.2.26  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @11.2.25    one week ago
actually, you clearly did no such thing. in fact, you didn't mention a law in your "cite one" comment.

Oh come on Tex, even YOU can do better than that. 

YOU mention laws:

then why do other states already have similar laws regarding water, etc.?

I asked you to cite one. You seem to have a vague recollection of a NY law that someone cited in another seed but can't be bothered to look it up and post a link. 

Need help? 

Texan1211
PhD Principal
11.2.27  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @11.2.26    one week ago

yes I know perfectly well what I write. never have needed any "help" from you.

Dulay
Professor Principal
11.2.28  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @11.2.27    one week ago

Then post a link to a fucking law Tex. 

Texan1211
PhD Principal
11.2.29  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @11.2.28    one week ago

ooh, sorry, I am not your flunky.

look it up yourself

CB
Professor Principal
11.2.30  CB   replied to  Tacos! @11.2.12    one week ago
If it's such a simple staple, why can't people bring their own water? Or, at minimum, why can't the water be distributed either around the corner from the polling place, or by the polling place itself?

What do you have against expanded freedoms? You know, that 'thing' some conservatives love to shout in liberals' faces and wave big ass flags promoting? So it's fake, eh? Liberals have the freedom to hold a conservative perspective, is that it?

Clearly there was nothing found irregular about water and 'food' being handed to long-hot-concentrated lines of people and republicans could/can follow suit. But no, some conservatives (are you one?) insist that a non-descript water bottle and a 'blank sandwich' is enriching to the masses. . . while the republicans go after lobbyists and Trump lies to his 'loyal beyond' supporters and take their monies straight from their personal bank accounts!

On the last. . . the GOP silence is DEAFENING!

And what about you? You want to make 'provisions' corruption - make outright STEALING corruption and offensive too!

CB
Professor Principal
11.2.31  CB   replied to  Tacos! @11.2.12    one week ago
There is a history of election corruption and bribery in this country.  How about if in addition to water, we hand out beer, and maybe some fried chicken? Would that be ok? Is there any line we won't cross?

So therefore we need not evolve to be better people, because of past-dealings? One would think that is a rationale for upping standards (instead of manipulation of standards)! Just be 'economical and admit it: Some conservatives want liberals not to think outside the box and just join them in their ways of looking at politics!

Hand out beer, towels, t-shirts, flags, dates . . .Tacos! are you trying to funny? Reductio absurdum. There I fixed it for you!

I think it is disingenuous of people to act as if there is no possibility that the handing out of food or water to voters could be done with corrupt intent under the guise of humanitarianism. 

I am so glad you brought up what you think about it. It frees me. I think its disingenuous for some conservatives (are you one?) to pretend that Donald Trump and his supporters wishes and intentions are not embedded in the modifications to the voting laws of Georgia and other red-states. I think Donald Trump has and continues to make 'calls' and 'invites' to republican governors in purple states begging and demanding they change their voting laws in such a way to have a negative impact on minority voters. 

How's that?

CB
Professor Principal
11.2.32  CB   replied to  Tessylo @11.2.16    one week ago

It's a (old) game. Ideological politicians play tired 'aged' games. La-da-da-da-da-da.

"Games People Play" - Joe South - 1969

Tacos!
PhD Expert
11.2.33  Tacos!  replied to  CB @11.2.30    one week ago
What do you have against expanded freedoms?

Is that how you feel about firearms? How about corporate campaign finance? 

Pause and consider before you start attacking with generalities.

some conservatives (are you one?) insist that a non-descript water bottle and a 'blank sandwich' is enriching to the masses

First, no, I'm not really. Not on many issues.

Second, if it's not enriching, then why complain about a regulation limiting it? Remember, if it's just about enduring the heat, you are allowed to bring your own water, and the polling place is allowed to supply it. Why is it so important that it come in the form of a gift from a private person?

And what about you?

It wouldn't have occurred to me to limit gifts of water. And I agree that, on its face, it sounds petty and hard-hearted.

However, it would also never occur to me to approach people waiting in line to vote for any reason. I'm a big believer in the secret ballot, and I don't approve of any action that might improperly influence a person's vote - including the choice to vote at all. I want to respect their privacy in voting.

And if I were political operative at all, i.e. a candidate, working for a candidate, someone who actively supports a candidate or party, etc., I would be veerryy careful to leave voters alone on Election Day when they are standing in line. I would not want even the slightest hint of impropriety. I would not want anyone to be able to say I was trying to bribe voters, even if my intent were wholesome and humanitarian.

If I were genuinely concerned about the health of voters standing in line, I would arrange with the polling place to make water available and my contribution would be anonymous.

Tacos!
PhD Expert
11.2.34  Tacos!  replied to  CB @11.2.31    one week ago
evolve to be better people

I would love it if we evolved to be better people. We'd need a lot less laws. I don't see it happening, though.

I think its disingenuous for some conservatives (are you one?) to pretend that Donald Trump and his supporters wishes and intentions are not embedded in the modifications to the voting laws of Georgia and other red-states.

I think that's fair, but that doesn't make the law into Jim Crow.

At the end of the day, does it really matter if people were motivated because Trump lost? That's usually when you hear election reform talk. Every time Democrats talk about doing away with the Electoral College, it's because some Democrat just lost the election in spite of winning the popular vote. Democrats didn't care about Electoral College reform after Obama won, or after Biden won - only when Gore lost to Bush and Clinton lost to Trump. So even if Republicans won't admit their motivation, it's still pretty normal to talk about election reforms after you lose an election.

CB
Professor Principal
11.2.35  CB   replied to  Tacos! @11.2.33    one week ago
First, no, I'm not really. Not on many issues

So... . . . that is like being 'partially' pregnant? I'm just askin. . . .

CB
Professor Principal
11.2.36  CB   replied to  Tacos! @11.2.33    one week ago
you are allowed. . . .

The question is why mess with the established procedure as is? It was more freedom, not less. And this "thing of value" is bull patty. Don't talk to me like I am a fool. Water and a sandwich or bag of chips is not a 'thing of value' in any sense. It is human kindness to needy people made to all gather together on a hot, sticky, day in long lines.

Georgia Secretary of State says the state already established a "gold standard" and achieved high numbers of voter output . . . and another republican and Donald Trump (from his laird in Florida) shut him down. Donald Trump is behind this and Governor Kemp is kissing his. . . butt to please or Donald plans to tear him a new butt straightway.

Stop wasting time: I, we, hear "many" points of view and can discern all of them accordingly!

CB
Professor Principal
11.2.37  CB   replied to  Tacos! @11.2.33    one week ago
What do you have against expanded freedoms?

Is that how you feel about firearms? How about corporate campaign finance? 

Pause and consider before you start attacking with generalities.

Why are you jumping topics? Whataboutisms? What is this? Distinctions matter in discussion. Scope matters too!

CB
Professor Principal
11.2.38  CB   replied to  Tacos! @11.2.33    one week ago
It wouldn't have occurred to me to limit gifts of water. And I agree that, on its face, it sounds petty and hard-hearted.

However, it would also never occur to me to approach people waiting in line to vote for any reason. I'm a big believer in the secret ballot, and I don't approve of any action that might improperly influence a person's vote - including the choice to vote at all. I want to respect their privacy in voting.

And if I were political operative at all, i.e. a candidate, working for a candidate, someone who actively supports a candidate or party, etc., I would be veerryy careful to leave voters alone on Election Day when they are standing in line. I would not want even the slightest hint of impropriety. I would not want anyone to be able to say I was trying to bribe voters, even if my intent were wholesome and humanitarian.

If I were genuinely concerned about the health of voters standing in line, I would arrange with the polling place to make water available and my contribution would be anonymous.

Tacos! there are a great many "I"s in the above. As for me, when I did not vote by mail I still voted and for me, it did not take all day. But, and it's a big but, this is not abut you or me  It is about getting MORE people off the sidelines into the voter ranks and booths accordingly.

CB
Professor Principal
11.2.39  CB   replied to  Tacos! @11.2.34    one week ago
I would love it if we evolved to be better people. We'd need a lot less laws. I don't see it happening, though.

ASPIRE.

CB
Professor Principal
11.2.40  CB   replied to  Tacos! @11.2.34    one week ago
So even if Republicans won't admit their motivation, it's still pretty normal to talk about election reforms after you lose an election.

Look Tacos! The expression goes, "I feel ya." I am tired and old (now) and still the world runs on bull patty (games)! We talk big about high-flyin' truths and 'right's and 'rights and wrongs' and telling other to do better in their countries/nations -- and then we cheapen and short-change our own citizens (while the other nations are looking  and listening).

That is the problem with these changes, in our hearts we know proper motivations are not par and parcel to these changes. Donald Trump and his cadre do not do 'proper' - they do a personality: Donald.

We deserve better.

Tacos!
PhD Expert
11.2.41  Tacos!  replied to  CB @11.2.35    one week ago

No, it's like being thoughtful. When you think for yourself, you disagree with everybody at some point, and you never agree with anyone all the time.

Tacos!
PhD Expert
11.2.42  Tacos!  replied to  CB @11.2.37    one week ago
Why are you jumping topics?

I'm not. You're the one who expanded the discussion to freedoms, generally.

CB
Professor Principal
11.2.43  CB   replied to  Tacos! @11.2.41    one week ago

You do not need to tell me to be reasonable. I am not a partisan. I simply won't tolerate nonsense alternative realities which the GOP has already played itself by stepping into with both feet planted squarely.

I have given the GOP the benefits of doubt long enough! And will re-evaluate each 'case' in turn. What I don't have the luxury of doing is 'enveloping' GOP bull patty into my world philosophy because as a minority doing so will short-change liberty/ities and cause harm to freedom.

Assuming you are a White person, maybe you are open to thinking and agreeing that distinctions between our parties/politicians are less shall we say, "dramatic" and impacts when weighted while not perfect - damages can be better tolerated.

As a minority, I see the GOP doing what it can to keep its control over conservative voters and society as a whole. Moreover, using diabolical schemes and tactics everyday (including desperate and blatant lying) to keep minorities from further diversifying of our national and local systems.

CB
Professor Principal
11.2.44  CB   replied to  Tacos! @11.2.42    one week ago

This "category" is Elections? Subcategory: Voting.

Freedoms of.

Yes or No?

Dulay
Professor Principal
11.2.45  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @11.2.29    one week ago
ooh, sorry, I am not your flunky. look it up yourself

In short, you can't support your claim. Got ya. 

Texan1211
PhD Principal
11.2.46  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @11.2.45    one week ago

I hope it makes you feel better to believe that crap.

I specifically said to look it up yourself, as I am not your flunky. What is hard to understand about my comment?

All you would do is bitch about the source I chose anyways, so look it up all by your lonesome so you can use a source of your choice.

You can do it!

Dulay
Professor Principal
11.2.47  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @11.2.46    one week ago
I hope it makes you feel better to believe that crap.
I specifically said to look it up yourself, as I am not your flunky. What is hard to understand about my comment?

In the world of adults, the one making the assertion has the burden of proof.

All you would do is bitch about the source I chose anyways, so look it up all by your lonesome so you can use a source of your choice. You can do it!

I don't have to. Unlike you, I remember the NY law and know for a fact that it isn't 'similar' and  doesn't meet your burden of proof. 

FAIL. 

Texan1211
PhD Principal
11.2.48  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @11.2.47    one week ago
In the world of adults, the one making the assertion has the burden of proof.

I don't answer to you. If you want to look it up, do so.If you don't, then don't.

I made a choice to rather listen to you incessantly bitch about me not providing a source opposed to you incessantly bitching about the source.

But I am done listening to your bitching either way.

Dulay
Professor Principal
11.2.49  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @11.2.48    one week ago

No you're not. 

You're a last word kind of guy.

If I post, you post. Hell you've even replied to me posting a dot. 

You don't seem to care about content, it seems compulsive. 

r.t..b...
Masters Participates
11.3  r.t..b...  replied to  Tacos! @11    2 weeks ago

There is nothing ‘knee-jerk’ about this.        

Kudos to MLB for acknowledging the power they have in effecting meaningful dialogue leading toward positive change.

As we have seen our elected politicians continually waffle in confronting the important issues of the day, it has become our sports icons and now organizations taking the lead in bringing the difficult discussion to the fore.

Good on all of them.

(that being said, the extra-inning placement of a runner at second base dilutes the beauty of the one game that needs no clock to determine the outcome. boo)

Tacos!
PhD Expert
11.3.1  Tacos!  replied to  r.t..b... @11.3    2 weeks ago
effecting meaningful dialogue

What meaningful dialogue? A bunch of people are outraged over a law they haven’t even read, is similar to laws in liberal states, and no one can actually demonstrate that the law is as atrocious as they claim. The people who wrote and passed the law have been pleading with the outraged people to read the law and actually have meaningful dialogue. But all that happens is that they run around like Chicken Little screaming, “Jim Crow is back! Jim Crow is back!” 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.3.2  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @11.3.1    one week ago

It's voter suppression.  PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

CB
Professor Principal
11.3.3  CB   replied to  Tessylo @11.3.2    one week ago

Voter manipulation. Emphatically.

Kathleen
PhD Principal
12  Kathleen    one week ago

Sports have become too tied up in politics. That's why I don't watch them anymore. 

Greg Jones
Masters Participates
13  Greg Jones    one week ago

FortunateSon
Freshman Silent
14  FortunateSon    one week ago
Get woke and go broke.   MLB is fast becoming a joke. Maybe Joe will bail them out after enough people stop watching. Moving the game to a rascist state with voter ID laws was kinda funny also