╌>

Donald Trump could be charged with multiple crimes over his attempts to overturn his loss in the state of Georgia, report says

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  56 comments

Donald Trump could be charged with multiple crimes over his attempts to overturn his loss in the state of Georgia, report says
The report by the Brookings Institution, a leading think tank in Washington DC, analyzes publicly available evidence that shows that Trump and his allies attempted to pressure Georgia officials to "change the lawful outcome of the election." A key piece of evidence is the now-infamous call made by Trump on January 3 to Georgia's Republican Secretary of State, Brad Raffensperger. He told him to "find 11,780 votes" to overturn Biden's win. The report adds that Trump publicly pressured and...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

news.yahoo.com   /donald-trump-could-charged-multiple-104506097.html

Alia Shoaib 3-4 minutes   9/26/2021

2ea5342d621dd62b020d1839a33f3aff

Former President Donald Trump.   Michael M. Santiago/Getty Images

• Donald Trump could be charged with crimes over Georgia election interference, a new report says.

• The report says Trump and his allies pressured Georgia officials to overturn his loss in the state.

• Trump is facing several probes in relation to his post-election conduct in Georgia.

• See more stories on Insider's business page .

Former President Donald Trump could be charged with multiple crimes over election interference in Georgia, a new report says.

The report by the Brookings Institution , a leading think tank in Washington DC, analyzes publicly available evidence that shows that Trump and his allies attempted to pressure Georgia officials to "change the lawful outcome of the election."

A key piece of evidence is the now-infamous call made by Trump on January 3 to Georgia's Republican Secretary of State, Brad Raffensperger. He told him to   "find 11,780 votes"   to overturn Biden's win.

The report adds that Trump publicly pressured and personally contacted several other officials in Georgia to ask them to help him overturn his loss in the state.

It includes Governor Brian Kemp and Attorney General Chris Carr, who Trump reportedly placed direct calls to in December to urge them to go along with "his increasingly desperate plans to decertify his loss."

"We conclude that Trump's post-election conduct in Georgia leaves him at substantial risk of possible state charges predicated on multiple crimes," the report said.

"These charges potentially include criminal solicitation to commit election fraud; intentional interference with performance of election duties; conspiracy to commit election fraud; criminal solicitation; and state RICO violations."

The report added that criminal liability could extend to some Trump allies, including his personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani.

Giuliani appeared before committees in the Georgia Capitol with the intent of convincing state lawmakers to "take extraordinary action to reverse Biden's win," the report notes.

In February, Raffensperger's office   opened a probe   into Trump's efforts to overturn his loss in the state.

Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis also   launched a criminal investigation   into Trump's conduct relating to the election.

The Brookings Institution report analyzes these probes and suggests what crimes Trump could be charged with and his legal defenses.

The report suggests that Trump would likely claim immunity, arguing he cannot be prosecuted for actions taken while he was president.

Former presidents enjoy a measure of immunity for actions taken that "fall within the scope of their lawful duties as a federal official," according to the report.

However, in this case, Trump's actions were "well outside the scope of his official duties," the report says.

Trump and his allies have continued to promote   baseless claims   that the 2020 election was fraudulent.

The former president is currently facing   several criminal probes   over his conduct while in office, as well as his personal finances.

Read the original article on   Business Insider

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Given his ongoing anti -democracy and anti-social behavior, Georgia may have no choice but to indict him and publicly humiliate him. 

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago
Given his ongoing anti -democracy and anti-social behavior, Georgia may have no choice but to indict him and publicly humiliate him.

What are they waiting for?  Indict this poor excuse of a person and let's be done with it.  As for publicly humiliating him, he needs no help in that arena.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1    3 years ago

Maybe he wants to be a martyr. He is so bizarre its hard to tell anymore. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.3  Ozzwald  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1    3 years ago
What are they waiting for?

Democrats to take over the state.  A republican run Georgia will never charge one of their own.

squiggy
Junior Silent
1.2  squiggy  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

Once upon a time, there was a risk of possible state charges, and they all lived happily ever after.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     3 years ago

He could always claim mental disorder (TDS) as a defense. 

zuksam
Junior Silent
3  zuksam    3 years ago

So when are those pending Trump indictments in NYC coming ?

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1  JBB  replied to  zuksam @3    3 years ago

Soon! They will be coming soon. Hold your breath!

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  JBB @3.1    3 years ago

Or-----------don't hold your breath.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3.2  Snuffy  replied to  zuksam @3    3 years ago

"Facing several probes",  "could be charged"

We've been hearing these same basic  stories for the past five years...  Every partisan rag runs their hit pieces in the hopes of tarring the opposing side,  sure do miss the days when the news was actually what was happening without all the partisan bias.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Snuffy @3.2    3 years ago

What's this--article #5988 on Trump hit pieces?

SOSDD

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.1    3 years ago

[removed]

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.2.3  Jack_TX  replied to  Snuffy @3.2    3 years ago
"Facing several probes",  "could be charged"

I know, right?

Seriously, let me know when he's indicted.  [deleted]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2.4  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Jack_TX @3.2.3    3 years ago

Trump is guilty. We all know that. The question is , will he be prosecuted.

I get a kick out of people who think no wrong doing has been committed unless there is a criminal conviction. 

Guilty people get off in US courts every day. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.5  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2.4    3 years ago
Trump is guilty. We all know that. The question is , will he be prosecuted.

"We" don't all know that.

Some of us wait for convictions before passing judgment on cases we really don't all that much about.

You know, convictions are a little more credible than "I know he did it" crap.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2.6  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.5    3 years ago

Sure we do. You just dont want to open your eyes. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.7  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2.6    3 years ago
Sure we do.

You consistently remind me of a Reagan quote with proclamations like that.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.2.8  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2.4    3 years ago
Trump is guilty. We all know that.

Of what this time, John?  Every time Trump haters tell me that, the charges that come forward are usually idiotic and he seems to get cleared. 

The question is , will he be prosecuted.

My question is more along the lines of "when are people going to stop these bizarre obsessions about him?"

I get a kick out of people who think no wrong doing has been committed unless there is a criminal conviction. 

You didn't seed an article about wrongdoing, John.  You seeded an article about "charged with multiple crimes".  How is it that we never see him charged with a crime? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2.9  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Jack_TX @3.2.8    3 years ago
"We conclude that Trump's post-election conduct in Georgia leaves him at substantial risk of possible state charges predicated on multiple crimes," the report said. "These charges potentially include criminal solicitation to commit election fraud; intentional interference with performance of election duties; conspiracy to commit election fraud; criminal solicitation; and state RICO violations."

I assume you are at least a little familiar with Trump's post election conduct in Georgia. Is it your opinion that he in the clear? 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.2.11  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2.9    3 years ago
I assume you are at least a little familiar with Trump's post election conduct in Georgia. Is it your opinion that he in the clear? 

I'm a little familiar. Frankly, he lost the election, so I don't really care very much.

The problem you face here is like the boy who cried wolf.  We've heard so many times for so long how this thing or that thing was illegal and he's about to be carried off in irons any minute, that nobody believes this shit anymore.

The fact is that neither you nor I nor the Brookings Institute have a clue about what the real evidence is.  We have professionals handling all that and we'll just have to trust their judgment.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2.12  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Jack_TX @3.2.11    3 years ago

Its too bad you are so blase about the threat that Trump and trumpism pose to America. But that is really not my problem. 

Trump is not "gone" and frankly that is a bizarre assertion. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.13  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2.6    3 years ago

We certainly do know the steaming pile of shit is guilty. , , not just in Georgia

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.2.14  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2.12    3 years ago
Its too bad you are so blase about the threat that Trump and trumpism pose to America.

It's really not.

Trump is not "gone" and frankly that is a bizarre assertion. 

Don't let your hysteria cause you to quote me incorrectly.  I said he lost the election.  Are you denying that now?

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.3  Dulay  replied to  zuksam @3    3 years ago

Trump org. WAS indicted. Try to keep up. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.3.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Dulay @3.3    3 years ago

So when are the Trump indictments coming?

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.3.2  Hallux  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.3.1    3 years ago

They're still printing all the Clinton indictments. ; - )

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.3.3  Dulay  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.3.1    3 years ago

Trump org. IS Trump Jim. It's his whole identity. 

Oh and BTFW, Trump properties are selling at discount prices. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.3.4  Jack_TX  replied to  Hallux @3.3.2    3 years ago
They're still printing all the Clinton indictments. ; - )

Exactly.

We've been hearing about potential indictments for everybody from HRC to Rudy to Trump to Barney the fucking Dinosaur for years.

When any of these people actually get indicted, let me know.  In the meantime, I'll be on the golf course.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

I am ready to give up on waiting for Trump and a shit load of Congress people EVER being held accountable.  The proof has been out for months and yet not a fucking thing is being done to prosecute these lawbreakers.  If ordinary citizens pulled some of the shit they have, we would be awaiting trial.  Also what good is an Ethics Committee that doesn't do shit except collect paychecks?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4    3 years ago

I'm with you.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5  bbl-1    3 years ago

Follow the money.  Russian/Saudi/Chinese and others-----to much of it laundered or outright criminal.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.1  Ronin2  replied to  bbl-1 @5    3 years ago

Quit talking about the Clinton Foundation money laundering scheme. This is supposedly about Trump./S

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago
"Donald Trump Could Be Charged With Multiple Crimes Over His Attempts To Overturn His Loss In The State Of Georgia, Report Says"

Oh yeah, Barron Trump will die of old age before the American Justice system will bring his father's crimes to trial.

An image I posted on another article...

slow-justice-illustration-depicts-lady-riding-slowly-large-snail-49220294.jpg

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6    3 years ago

Has anyone ever heard of the adage: "Justice delayed is justice denied."?  IMO America is LIVING it. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
6.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1    3 years ago

There is also a US adage: "A grand jury could indict a ham sandwich". If prosecutors really wanted to bring Trump to trial they could so; but that would mean providing real evidence in a court of law. Not just conjecture and innuendo. They also don't want to give Trump a platform, and prove him right- that they are out to get him; and have been trying from the beginning. They don't even want to think about what would happen if they lost. 

Taking Trump to court would also fracture this country beyond all repair and open up the present and every former president to charges by prosecutors from the opposing party. I am sure Clinton, Bush Jr, Obama, and especially Biden all have things they did during their presidencies that they hope are forgotten. 

The only thing Democrats are interested in is keeping Trump front and center to try and deflect media and voter attention from the human fuck up machine they put in the WH.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ronin2 @6.1.1    3 years ago

I can't blame you for defending a criminal.  I actually did so myself in my practice, although very rarely.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1.2    3 years ago

I do - every single one who supports that steaming pile of shit.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1.2    3 years ago

But you got paid didn't you? The folks here do it because they don't know any better or are too blind to care. And they do it for free

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.4    3 years ago

Did you mean I WAS paid?  I only handled two criminal trials in my life.  The first one was a pro bono case and the second one was a friend, so I didn't get paid for either one.  In both cases they were found guilty but at least I was able to get them suspended sentences so they were able to walk out of the courtroom and go home.  Obviously it was better for me (and my clients) to not be a trial lawyer. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
6.1.6  Ronin2  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1.2    3 years ago

So much for innocent until proven guilty. 

All you have to do is provide the evidence to the moronic Democrats that will get Trump convicted Buzz. They have been trying really hard; but can't seem to find the target. 

You might have to install a backbone in them as well. Know any good surgeons that will work cheap? 

Duck Hawk
Freshman Silent
6.1.7  Duck Hawk  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.3    3 years ago

There is no defense for those who back him or participated in the events on 6 Jan.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.8  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ronin2 @6.1.6    3 years ago

Touchee Ronin2.  I should have said "accused of a crime" instead of "criminal"

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago
"We conclude that Trump's post-election conduct in Georgia leaves him at substantial risk of possible state charges predicated on multiple crimes," the report said.

"These charges potentially include criminal solicitation to commit election fraud; intentional interference with performance of election duties; conspiracy to commit election fraud; criminal solicitation; and state RICO violations."

The report added that criminal liability could extend to some Trump allies, including his personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani.

Our internet lawyers here have concluded that Trump is in the clear, even though the Brookings Report says otherwise rather emphatically.  

I think I'll believe the seeded article over a gaggle of Trump apologists. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @7    3 years ago

If a crime was committed, then it should be prosecuted.

What is the fucking hold-up now?????????

cjcold
Professor Quiet
7.1.1  cjcold  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1    3 years ago

"Wheels of justice grind slow but grind fine"     Sun Tzu

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  cjcold @7.1.1    3 years ago

Even way back then, but maybe even slower now.

Duck Hawk
Freshman Silent
7.1.3  Duck Hawk  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1    3 years ago

As of today, the Trump attorneys said there is a strong possibility for Trump to sue in court (to use Executive Privilege to keep documents hidden) and to have staff members refuse Summons by the Senate.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @7    3 years ago
Our internet lawyers here have concluded that Trump is in the clear, even though the Brookings Report says otherwise rather emphatically.  

Do you imagine the Brookings Institute  internet lawyers are objective?