╌>

War of words escalates in House

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  vic-eldred  •  3 years ago  •  125 comments

By:   BY DON WOLFENSBERGER

War of words escalates in House
Over the Thanksgiving recess, a video was posted by Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.) in which she accused Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.), the first Muslim woman elected to Congress, of being sympathetic to terrorists, tarring her with being part of the “Jihad Squad.” House Democratic Leader Steny Hoyer (Md.), on behalf of the Democratic leadership, issued a press release on Nov. 26, labeling Boebert’s comments, “Islamaphobic and racist,” and called on the Republican leadership to address the issue....

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

In my previous column in this space (“ Ethics Wars Redux? ,” Nov. 15), I looked at charges pending against Rep.  Paul Gosar  (R-Ariz.) for posting on his official account an animated cartoon of him killing Rep.  Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez  and attacking  President Biden  with two swords.    Speaker  Nancy Pelosi  (D-Calif.) referred the matter to the  House Ethics Committee and law enforcement , and Rep.  Jackie Speier  (D-Calif.) introduced a resolution of censure that was also referred to Ethics.

I couched the column in the context of the House ethics wars in the 1970s and 1980s that culminated in the resignation of Speaker Jim Wright (D-Texas) and the subsequent elevation of his chief pursuer, Rep.  Newt Gingrich  (R-Ga.), to the speakership. Gingrich himself  would later resign  under his own ethics cloud after just two terms as speaker. 

I questioned whether a new spate of ethics charges being hurled about in this Congress is a precursor to another nasty round of ethics spats that will distract the House from its more important work. 
In the last Congress, the GOP overwhelmingly supported House censure of Rep.  Steve King  (R-Iowa) and removed him from his committee assignments for making white supremacist remarks. Earlier in this Congress, without prior GOP conference backing, the House voted to remove Rep.  Marjorie Taylor Greene  (R-Ga.) from her standing committees for seeming to endorse political violence in the wake of the January 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol.
Since my Nov. 15 column, the Gosar case took a turn by being referred to the Rules Committee for a special rule, without any action by the Ethics Committee. The Rules Committee granted a special rule for the Speier resolution but automatically amended it by also removing Gosar from his two committees — again without prior Republican Conference consideration or clearance. The rule sealed the deal by precluding any possibility that the resolution could be tabled or referred to the Ethics Committee. The House subsequently adopted the resolution on a near-party line vote, and Gosar stood in the well of the House while the resolution was read back to him.

Over the Thanksgiving recess, a video was posted by Rep.  Lauren Boebert  (R-Colo.) in which she accused Rep.  Ilhan Omar  (D-Minn.), the first Muslim woman elected to Congress, of being sympathetic to terrorists, tarring her with being part of the “Jihad Squad.” House Democratic Leader  Steny Hoyer  (Md.), on behalf of the Democratic leadership, issued a press release on Nov. 26, labeling Boebert’s comments, “Islamaphobic and racist,” and called on the Republican leadership to address the issue. Although Boebert subsequently apologized for her comments, Omar insisted on a personal, public apology, which Boebert refused to proffer.

All this leaves the Democrats, once again, with the quandary of whether to censure, and possibly remove Boebert from her committee assignments, notwithstanding the apology.  Their hesitancy has been tempered in part by Republican Leader  Kevin McCarthy ’s (Calif.) vow to treat the Democrats similarly when the GOP retakes control of the House. The not-so-subtle implication is that Republicans might simply proceed to remove objectionable Democrats from their committee posts, even without the pretense of ethics offenses.

It is important to understand that for over two centuries now, the assignment of members to committees has initially been the prerogative of their party caucus or conference. Until these recent incidents, those nominations have been routinely approved by the entire House as a matter of inter-party comity. 

There is no question that the House retains the right under the Constitution to punish its members for disorderly conduct, and that punishment can include stripping members of committee assignments. But, to tuck that penalty into a censure resolution without opportunity to divide the question, and without even a modicum of due process, can become a very divisive instrument having lasting consequences.

It became clear during the Rules Committee hearing on the Gosar case that the House Ethics Committee chair, Rep.  Ted Deutch  (D-Fla.) was not anxious to wade into such a swamp every time there was an errant, online hiccup. His committee noted in its report on a 2020 case that  it was not “the social media police,”  and that not all mistakes committed there warrant an ethics investigation. But it did urge members to exercise sound judgment before posting their views.

Is there any end to this spiraling ethics war of words? My advice to members: Those shiny objects you are wielding are actually jagged pieces of glass, capable of cutting to the bone not only the members you are targeting but piercing to the heart the institution you should be healing. Stop pontificating from the left and right and start legislating for the vital center of America. Our democracy is fragile and especially vulnerable during these perilous times.

(I am especially indebted to the excellent reporting of The Hill’s Christina Marcos for the details of this developing story.)

Don Wolfensberger is a fellow at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars and the Bipartisan Policy Center, former staff director of the House Rules Committee, and author of, “Changing Cultures in Congress: From Fair Play to Power Plays.”  The views expressed are solely his own.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

It is true that the Minority leader has threatened to do the same thing to democrats once the GOP takes control.  (NEXT YEAR)

Beyond that sobering threat is the adage of one picture being better than a thousand words. Please take a look at the featured picture. It's kind of clear who the hater is.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    3 years ago

The answer to me is both as both are known hateful racist bigots!

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    3 years ago

[deleted]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    3 years ago

Personally I think that they're both right, but both wrong to have said what they did.  But then I'm not shackled to any side of American politics like most NT members are. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.4  XXJefferson51  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    3 years ago

That’s for sure!  Incest can cause that…

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Is it your contention that this picture shows us who the hater is  ? 

_v=63f541638537980

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @2    3 years ago

Ummm it's the ONLY featured picture on the page is it not?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1    3 years ago

I'm just trying to make sure he is not referring to another picture. 

Because this picture

_v=63f541638537980

doesnt prove or demonstrate a thing. 

Lauren Boebert is a clown. Marjorie Taylor Green is a clown. Paul Gosar is a clown. Madison Cawthorn is a clown. 

They're your clowns. They are your problem. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    3 years ago

I notice you fail to make any mention of Omar or the rest of the "Squad". That is telling in and of itself.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1.2    3 years ago

Did Omar attack Boebert first ?   I must have missed that. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.3    3 years ago

Nice attempt at deflection John. My point is that Omar is as much a hateful bigot as Boebert. Makes no difference who attacked who first. That does not change what they are in any way, shape, of form and you know it.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.1.5  1stwarrior  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.3    3 years ago

John - why don't you discuss the topic and quit trying to be the "word-police".

In-fighting is one of the worse things that can occur inside a troubled Congress - and this Congress is deeply troubled.  So, if the Repubs play war with the Dems/Libs, why should they say "I'll do you one better"?  Why don't they say "Hey, need some help"?  Both houses sux and they've been acting like children for way too many years.  They need to start acting like the "responsible adults" their constituents  believe them to be.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.6  JohnRussell  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1.4    3 years ago

I know that Omar does not approve of Israeli policies and made a couple statements that sound anti-semitic. 

That does not excuse Boebert calling her a terrorist. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.7  JohnRussell  replied to  1stwarrior @2.1.5    3 years ago

I dont do this "both sides" shit so many people are in love with. 

The political right is filled with conspiracy nuts, lunatics, and people who dont belong within a million miles of Congress. 

Maybe Ilhan Omar fits that category too, although there is more evidence of her being anti-Israel than of her being an unhinged lunatic about many things. 

No one has to say they will get along with Boebert or Marjorie Taylor Greene. There would be something wrong with anyone who did "respect " those two people. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.8  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.6    3 years ago

You are deflecting again John. Omar's comments did not just sound anti-Semitic, they were anti-Semitic!

And where did I say anything about excusing Boebert for calling a terrorist? I have stated that Boebert and Omar are both equally hateful racist bigots. Please do not try putting words in my mouth.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.9  JohnRussell  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1.8    3 years ago

Omar said something about America's policies toward Israel being "all about the Benjamins" (money) . This can fairly be described as anti-semitic as it refers to a negative stereotype about Jewish people. 

Her objections to Israeli policies toward the Palestinians may or may not be anti-semitic. I am not familiar with the exact language of her statements about Israel. Criticism of Israel is not automatically anti-semitic , it depends on what was said. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.1.10  Snuffy  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.9    3 years ago

She has said a lot more than that John. And it's not hard to find. But you are correct in that you don't do "both sides"..   you are so firmly entrenched in that one side that you refuse to admit anything that strays from that one side.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.11  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    3 years ago
They are your problem. 

And your problem is a hate-filled Islamist fanatic who had the crust to compare America and Israel to murderous terrorist groups Hamas and the Taliban!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.12  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.6    3 years ago
I know that Omar does not approve of Israeli policies and made a couple statements that sound anti-semitic. 

Oh is that all?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.13  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.7    3 years ago
I dont do this "both sides" shit so many people are in love with.

Neither do I. The hate and the evil ideology comes from the left.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.14  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.9    3 years ago
I am not familiar with the exact language of her statements about Israel.

It may be time to get acquainted.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.15  JohnRussell  replied to  Snuffy @2.1.10    3 years ago

The issue with Lauren Boebert is not resolved by saying Omar says things that people don't like. 

If you work at a company and you attack a fellow employee of that company , in public, chances are pretty good you are going to be fired.  

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.1.16  Snuffy  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.15    3 years ago
The issue with Lauren Boebert is not resolved by saying Omar says things that people don't like. 

Never said it did or should.  I responded directly to your comment where you ONLY mentioned Omar and my response was only at Omar.  Don't deflect with Boebert who IMO has shit in her bed and IMO should not be where she is. But as she doesn't represent me and is not from the state that I live in I can only have an opinion and cannot prevent her from being elected or even re-elected if that's what the people in her district want.  

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.17  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.9    3 years ago

Omar is in fact on record as having compared both the United States and Israeli policies to Nazi Germany. Her bud AOC has backed her up.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.18  Tessylo  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1.17    3 years ago

Then you should be no problem proving it

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.19  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.18    3 years ago
Then you should be no problem proving it

Google is your friend, as is often pointed out here.

Besides, what proof could he offer that you would actually read, as you have often pointed out you don't READ links?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.20  Texan1211  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1.17    3 years ago
Omar is in fact on record as having compared both the United States and Israeli policies to Nazi Germany. Her bud AOC has backed her up.

If they acknowledge what Omar and members of The Squad have said, then they get their "woke" cards revoked.

Best to just pretend she has never said one thing offensive or anti-Semitic.

Wink, wink  jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.21  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.18    3 years ago

A member of my fan club has arrived

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.22  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.21    3 years ago

Is there really a need to announce it to yourself?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.23  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.20    3 years ago

Got that right. Any proof given is denied, deflected, or downright ignored. Historical fact. There are some folks that would rather chew on a mouthful of maggots rather than admit even the remote possibility that a conservative could be right on things when it came to political matters.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.24  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.19    3 years ago

Especially any links provided by conservatives!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.25  Texan1211  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1.24    3 years ago

Just seems rather strange to demand evidence that you admittedly will not even look at. I mean, who DOES that stupid, ignorant shit?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.26  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.19    3 years ago

My thanks. Your response was almost word for word what I was getting ready to respond with.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.27  Tessylo  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1.26    3 years ago

Gee my fans hang on my every word and follow me from post to post

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.28  Sparty On  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.27    3 years ago

Lol .... whatever helps you sleep at night .....

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.29  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.27    3 years ago

You give yourself far too much credit....

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.30  Texan1211  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1.29    3 years ago
You give yourself far too much credit....

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.31  Tessylo  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.28    3 years ago

Another fan

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.32  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.31    3 years ago

Only in your dreams...

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.33  MonsterMash  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.6    3 years ago
I know that Omar does not approve of Israeli policies and made a couple statements that ARE  anti-semitic.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.34  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.22    3 years ago

She had to remind herself that she’s a fan of the same?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.35  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.34    3 years ago

Is her last name Biden?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2    3 years ago

It is my contention that the picture confirms what we already know about a certain hater elected by Minnesota's 5 congressional district.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2    3 years ago
It is my contention that the picture confirms what we already know about a certain hater

How does the photo confirm your bias?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.1    3 years ago

I don't have bias.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2    3 years ago

So someone created a "meme" with a picture of Omar frowning and Boebert smiling.  What brilliant evidence !  lol. 

It would probably take me about a minute to create a new meme with the facial expressions reversed.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.4  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.3    3 years ago

It's not evidence....We have all of that....It's confirmation of a hate-filled extremist who NEVER should have been elected to the US congress.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2.5  Ender  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.4    3 years ago

Which one?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.6  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.4    3 years ago
It's confirmation of a hate-filled extremist who NEVER should have been elected to the US congress.

No , it's not. 

Should Lauren Boebert have been elected to Congress?  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.7  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.6    3 years ago

Why not?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.8  Trout Giggles  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.2    3 years ago

Obviously you do. You see Omar more as a hater than you do Lawless Lauren. Please tell us what in that photo makes Omar more of a hater than LL?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.3    3 years ago

I don't think it's because Omar is frowning

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.10  JohnRussell  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.9    3 years ago

Oh you think the headdress? maybe. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.11  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.8    3 years ago
You see Omar more as a hater than you do Lawless Lauren.

Absolutely.

Please tell us what in that photo makes Omar more of a hater than LL?

The photo confirms what we already know, it doesn't provide evidence. So, you can't defend Omar's anti-Semitic, anti-American comments and you want to cling to the photo argument?  It's not going to happen:

"We have seen unthinkable atrocities committed by the U.S., Hamas, Israel, Afghanistan, and the Taliban," wrote Omar. "I asked [Secretary of State Antony Blinken] where people are supposed to go for justice."

The tweet caught fire online and saw multiple members of her own party speak out against Omar’s rhetoric in a statement on Wednesday.

"Equating the United States and Israel to Hamas and the Taliban is as offensive as it is misguided," the group of Democrats, said of Omar. The signers of the statement included Reps. Brad Schneider, D-Ill.; Brad Sherman, D-Calif.; Josh Gottheimer, D-N.J.; Jake Auchincloss, D-Mass.; and Ted Deutch, D-Fla.

"Ignoring the differences between democracies governed by the rule of law and contemptible organizations that engage in terrorism at best discredits one’s intended argument and at worst reflects deep-seated prejudice," the group added. "The United States and Israel are imperfect and, like all democracies, at times deserving of critique, but false equivalencies give cover to terrorist groups. We urge Congresswoman Omar to clarify her words placing the US and Israel in the same category as Hamas and the Taliban."

Please proceed...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.12  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.11    3 years ago
The photo confirms what we already know

Completely ridiculous. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.13  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.10    3 years ago

She doesn't get to hide behind her special status.  

Don't skirt now!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.14  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.10    3 years ago

I want to hear Vic's answer. You already gave him an out

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.15  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.13    3 years ago

I didnt make that comment so I dont know why you are asking me about it. 

But of course I agree with it. The photo confirms nothing other than you cant form a coherent argument in favor of using the photo to demonstrate something. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.16  JohnRussell  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.14    3 years ago

[removed]

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.17  Trout Giggles  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.11    3 years ago
It is my contention that the picture confirms what we already know about a certain hater elected by Minnesota's 5 congressional district.

You brought up the photo first. Don't weasel your way out of it with hateful quotes by Omar.

SPECIFICALLY! WHAT IN THE PHOTO CONFIRMS YOUR CONTENTION?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.18  Trout Giggles  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.13    3 years ago

You're the one that's not just skirting but actually actively avoiding answering our question

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.19  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.17    3 years ago

What contention?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.20  Trout Giggles  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.19    3 years ago

I quoted you.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.21  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.18    3 years ago

I'm not the one implying islamophobia. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.22  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.20    3 years ago

You are defending Omar. Let's hear it?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.23  Trout Giggles  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.21    3 years ago

Really? Then why do you think that photo shows Omar is more of a hater than Lawless Lauren?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.24  Trout Giggles  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.22    3 years ago

Actually, I'm not, and you can't show anywhere in any of my comments that I am defending her. I think she's a bigoted anti-semitic and I'm shocked with the large Jewish community in Minnesota that she got elected

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.25  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.23    3 years ago

Lauren Boebert doesn't hate Jews or Americans.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.26  JohnRussell  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.24    3 years ago

I'm shocked that so many members of Newstalkers think they can defend Boebert's lies about Omar (that she is a terrorist) by referring to various Omar statements. 

Has Omar defended terrorism in any of her statements? 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.27  Trout Giggles  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.25    3 years ago

Did I say she did?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.28  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.24    3 years ago
I think she's a bigoted anti-semitic

Then I guess we can discuss the picture. Wouldn't you agree that Omar has an angry look on her face?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.29  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.26    3 years ago

That I can't answer intelligently, John. I don't pay much attention to her. I go by what people here quote her as saying

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.30  Trout Giggles  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.28    3 years ago

The whole point of your article is the goddamned photo!!!! Jesus Fucking Christ!

One might think she looks angry or one might think she's trying to suck caramel off her teeth. Who the fuck knows?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.31  JohnRussell  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.29    3 years ago

I dont pay much attention to her either. She is a minor congressperson. 

When I see her interviewed it is generally about policy.  

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.2.32  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.24    3 years ago

Could be that the equally large Somalian Muslim community she represents offset the Jewish community's.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.33  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.2.32    3 years ago

And I don't disagree with that.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.34  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.30    3 years ago
The whole point of your article is the goddamned photo!!!!

It was? Since you couldn't figure it out the main point was that Republicans are going to do the same thing to democrats that Pelosi is doing to Republicans. The comment on the picture was only an afterthought.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.2.37  Sparty On  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.23    3 years ago

RBF?

All kidding aside i agree, i don't see it either but actions do speak louder than pictures in my book.

Both of them are way more polarized to their side of the spectrum than they should be.   Admonishing one and not the other just shows bias on the part of the person doing it.

To me it's no more difficult than that.   That said, if these two are the best candidates districts like theirs can elect we are all probably screwed anyway.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.38  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sparty On @2.2.37    3 years ago

What does RBF mean?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.2.39  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.26    3 years ago

Omar is on record as defending extremist actions of Hamas. As far as defending other groups, and I admit this may be a slippery slope, one could admit omission of any criticism of groups like, ISIS, Al Quaida, the Taliban, or other extremist Muslim factions could be construed as defending their actions.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.2.40  Sparty On  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.38    3 years ago

Resting Bitch Face

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.41  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sparty On @2.2.40    3 years ago

Thank-you.

Mine is worse than Omar's. I walk around with a permanent frown and squinty eyes...because I can't see

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.2.42  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.41    3 years ago

Well I hope you don't get accused of walking around scowling and looking like Popeye in a bad mood like my daughter tells me I do...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.43  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.2.42    3 years ago

Funny girl.

Do you have the oversized forearms that Popeye has, too?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.2.44  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.43    3 years ago

Alas, no. At least not since my long ago sea going Navy days. Turns out I also developed a allergy to spinach...

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.2.45  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.43    3 years ago

tennis elbow and a wrist brace is what I'm guessing.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.47  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @2.2.45    3 years ago

' I don't have bias'

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
2.2.48  MonsterMash  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.30    3 years ago

[deleted]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.2.49  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.3    3 years ago

Omar was frowning because she was recalling some sordid event with her brother ex husband

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.2.50  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.26    3 years ago

She sure as heck minimized 9-11-01

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    3 years ago

for starters

www.salon.com   /2021/09/30/lauren-boebert-hired-qanon-superfans-to-run-shooters-grill-staff-her-campaign-office/

Lauren Boebert hired QAnon superfans to run Shooters Grill, staff her campaign office

7-8 minutes   9/30/2021

In public, Rep.   Lauren Boebert   has attempted to distance herself from the far-right   QAnon   conspiracy theory, at least since she entered politics. Yet, she has personally hired QAnon adherents to manage her restaurant and work in her Colorado campaign office.

In November 2020, just after Boebert was elected to Congress, QAnon follower Mona Demicell   shared on Facebook   that she and her husband Bud, a fellow QAnon adherent, were moving to Rifle, Colorado, to work for the incoming congresswoman. Bud Demicell is now the general manager of Shooters Grill, while Mona does accounting for the restaurant and also works in Boebert's campaign office next door. 

Both Bud and Mona Demicell have posted on social media numerous times in support of QAnon, and have reposted conspiracy-laden messages from self-appointed "master Q comms decoder"   David Reinert . For example, one Reinert post later reposted by Bud, who now runs Shooters Grill, featured 27 images that attempted to tie Donald Trump's social media posts together into a meaningful narrative, or what Reinert calls a "marker." 

Travis View , a QAnon researcher and co-host of the " QAnon Anonymous " podcast, said that Boebert has carefully avoided embracing the conspiracy theory too obviously.

"Lauren Boebert has always tried to maintain some distance between herself and QAnon," View told Salon. "For example, in July of 2020, she tweeted that 'QAnon = fake news' and that she's 'not a follower.' However, as evidenced by her willingness to appear on a QAnon show, her statement that she 'hopes' Q is real and her closely associating with QAnon followers, she at very least appears to be cozy with the QAnon community." 

In May 2020, Boebert told a right-wing  podcast , "Everything that I've heard of Q, I hope that this is real. Because it only means that America is getting stronger and better, and people are returning to conservative values." In that interview, Boebert attributed her knowledge of QAnon to her mother, but in an October 2020 interview   with FOX21 , she denied that she or her mother were QAnon followers. "I'm not a follower of QAnon," she said. "My mom is not a supporter of QAnon, she just talked to me about it one time."  

In June this year, Mona Demicell replied to a   post on Facebook  by saying, "Love our Lauren Boebert and her sweet momma, Shawn Bentz!!"

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @4    3 years ago

This thread had a clean up for being off topic, personal comments, and a slap fight. Do not do this again, as I will be handing out big points.