╌>

Disney Film Featuring Gay Main Character Bombs at Box Office

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  2 years ago  •  119 comments

By:   Steven Spielberg (YahooNews)

Disney Film Featuring Gay Main Character Bombs at Box Office
Disney suffered one of its worst theatrical releases ever with its animated movie Strange World, which brought in just $18.6 million over the holiday weekend.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Disney suffered one of its worst theatrical releases ever with its latest animated movie Strange World, which brought in just $18.6 million over the five-day holiday weekend despite being heralded as the first Disney movie to include an openly gay main character.

Strange World had Disney's second-worst opening weekend ever, behind only the pandemic-era release of West Side Story directed by Steven Spielberg, Variety reported Sunday. Ultimately, Strange World only garnered about half of its projected long weekend revenue.

The film featured a star-studded cast including voice acting from Jake Gyllenhaal, Dennis Quaid, Lucy Liu, and Gabrielle Union, and sported a massive budget between $120 and $130 million, the Daily Mail writes.

Expectations were initially high for Strange World with Disney projecting the film to earn between $30 and $40 million dollars over the long weekend. However, those figures were rapidly, and significantly, revised downwards when it was understood how poorly the movie was performing with audiences.

As with other recent Disney animated movies including Lightyear (another disappointing box office flop), Strange World sought to crowbar progressive causes into the film, including for the first time in Disney's history an openly gay main character. However, one liberal movie reviewer said Disney would likely use homophobia to shield it from the film's obvious shortcomings.

"Disney is 100% going to blame STRANGE WORLD's inevitable bad box office on the fact that there's an openly gay character in the movie when in reality, it's going to flop because they didn't market it at all. They'll use this as an excuse to not have queer rep ever again," film critic Jordan Woodson tweeted last week.

Aside from the progressive emphasis, for some, the movie simply failed to entertain. "Took the kids to the movies today to watch a Disney cartoon called Strange World. Within 10 minutes of the movie, my 10-year-old son said 'Dad, I have no desire to watch this movie. Can we leave?' We left. The leaders at Disney have forgotten who the PAYING customer is," the popular podcaster Patrick Bet-David tweeted.

Story continues

Disney's latest flop comes on the heels of the return of its iconic former CEO Bob Iger who is expected to turn around the ailing company after suffering several financial setbacks. Iger is taking over for Bob Chapek, who openly embraced progressive social causes while leading the media company, drawing the ire of Governor Ron DeSantis and fellow Florida Republicans.

Disney+, the company's touted streaming service, has lost more than $8 billion since it first launched three years ago.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

You mean Bob Chapek didn't know that family people weren't going to take their children to see a movie with such a featured character?

That's a big part of the reason Chapek is out and Iger is back.

There must be something in the air.....Chalk up another one for normalcy.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago
family people weren't going to take their children to see a movie with such a featured character?

You would not watch a movie that has an openly gay featured character? Better not seen and not heard, eh? 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2    2 years ago

Why do they need a gay character at all? What's the point other than trying to normalize something that most normal people don't care about anyway.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.2.2  Jasper2529  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2    2 years ago
You would not watch a movie that has an openly gay featured character? Better not seen and not heard, eh? 

Strange World is rated PG. I doubt many responsible parents want to expose very young children to sexual issues. As we've seen, parents across the country are already fighting against this in our schools.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2    2 years ago

Again...I said family people won't take their kids.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.2.4  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2    2 years ago
You would not watch a movie that has an openly gay featured character?

I would not take my 5 year old to such a movie, no.

There is such a thing as "age-appropriateness", whether the American far left wants to acknowledge that or not.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.5  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.2.2    2 years ago

Nonsense.  Embracing tolerance and diversity and the LGBTQ community/our fellow human beings is a bad thing to teach Jasper??????

JBB
Professor Principal
1.2.6  JBB  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.5    2 years ago

Yeah, God forbid a kid learns that well adjusted happy gay couples even exist!

Or, be entertained by a man in drag, which has been standard fair in the theater, on tv and in popular movies since, um, forever...

Will & Grace has been rerun for 15 yrs...

An old person in New Jersey be like this!

original

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.2.7  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JBB @1.2.6    2 years ago

Question isn't why do kids want to be entertained by drag queens. The real question is, why do drag queens want to entertain children.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.2.8  JBB  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.2.7    2 years ago

Did you enjoy Flip Wilson as Geraldine or watch Busom Buddies? Were those after your time? What about Some Like It Hot?

original

JBB
Professor Principal
1.2.9  JBB  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.2.7    2 years ago

original Did seeing these two men in drag get you all hot and bothered, or did you laugh along with everyone else, back in 1959?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.2.10  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JBB @1.2.8    2 years ago

Flip Wilson was more for adults as his show was in prime time.

Bosom Buddies had a reason. The guys wanted to be close to the women.

Some like it hot had a plot and a reason for the men to dress as women as well. They witnessed a mob hit and chose to disguise themselves women to join a band and get out of state.

Milton Berle and Bob Hope were also adult entertainment.

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
1.2.11  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.2.7    2 years ago

Because they are entertainers and are doing nothing wrong. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.2.12  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JBB @1.2.9    2 years ago
Did seeing these two men in drag get you all hot and bothered, or did you laugh along with everyone else, back in 1959?

Didn't watch the movie until I was in my 20's. And in 1959, I was only 4 years old so no.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.2.13  JBB  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.2.12    2 years ago

Were you scarred by seeing men in drag?

JBB
Professor Principal
1.2.14  JBB  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.2.10    2 years ago

Bob Hope and Milton Berle were family fare as was Flip Wilson and Busom Buddies...

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.2.15  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @1.2.9    2 years ago

I enjoyed Victor/Victoria with Julie Andrews.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.2.16  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JBB @1.2.14    2 years ago

And there was humor in the storyline in all those cases. It was like Halloween in prime time. Not because they liked dressing as women. It was a costume crucial to the stories and Wilson's humor.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.2.17  JBB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.2.15    2 years ago

All the women's parts in Shakespeare's plays were played by men in drag. There were men pretending to be women who performed both comedy and drama on stages going back to ancient Greece...

Hell, drag was probably used for comic effect by cavemen and Neanderthals!

JBB
Professor Principal
1.2.18  JBB  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.2.16    2 years ago

So? Drag Queen Story Hour is a draw for libraries because the kids are entertained while learning about books and literature.

There is nothing sexual or dirty about it...

JBB
Professor Principal
1.2.19  JBB  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.2.16    2 years ago

How are these Disney characters different?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.2.20  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @1.2.17    2 years ago
drag was probably used for comic effect by cavemen and Neanderthals!

Exactly, they dressed up in furs.

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.21  CB  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.2.7    2 years ago

Question is: If the goal is entertaining-what's the difference. It's not like the drag queens plan to sleep around with the children! Or, maybe you can't recognize a difference between those who 'drag' and what they sexually choose to do? Well Jim, drag queens are not 'notorious' for child 'bangin.'

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.22  CB  replied to  JBB @1.2.9    2 years ago

It was a 'campy' so it was acceptable. After all, a woman was the object of the production. That makes it 'okay' (selective and toned out the 'outrage').

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.23  CB  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.2.16    2 years ago

You have no clue as to what Wilson's motivation or cross-points were. For me and you it was just good clean humor. So we laughed with Flip. In this case right here; it's mocking and laughing at Sam for being who he is.  Let's be clear about your motivation on this.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

Strange World is probably a very appropriate title. Strange as in bizarre. America is just not ready for that subject matter in a animated family movie. My hope is not in my lifetime anyway, but hey I'm old fashioned.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.3.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.3    2 years ago
My hope is not in my lifetime anyway, but hey I'm old fashioned.

I don't think that it's old-fashioned to believe that children shouldn't be exposed to sexual material that they cannot understand at young ages.  

Ender
Professor Principal
1.3.2  Ender  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.3.1    2 years ago

Have you seen the movie? I doubt there is sex involved. 

Funny that you all think just by being gay is sexualizing...

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.3.3  Jack_TX  replied to  Ender @1.3.2    2 years ago
Funny that you all think just by being gay is sexualizing...

Riiiiight.  Because the difference between a gay character and a straight one is....

Ender
Professor Principal
1.3.4  Ender  replied to  Jack_TX @1.3.3    2 years ago

Is what?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.3.5  Jack_TX  replied to  Ender @1.3.4    2 years ago
Is what?

Sexual.  Obviously.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.3.6  Ender  replied to  Jack_TX @1.3.5    2 years ago

Sexual? So showing a straight couple is not sexual but showing a gay couple is?

Do you realize how bigoted and actually just stupid that sounds...

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
1.3.7  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  Jack_TX @1.3.3    2 years ago

Who they love is the difference between a gay character and a straight one. 

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
1.3.8  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  Jack_TX @1.3.5    2 years ago

Is who they love.  Being gay is no more sexual than being heterosexual is.  

CB
Professor Principal
1.3.9  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.3.3    2 years ago

The straight characters kiss and lick each other more often in movies; even when the scene is obviously not fully cleared of its danger-they are two 'star-crossed lovers' staring into each other's eyes and kissing and licking each other.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.3.10  Jack_TX  replied to  Ender @1.3.6    2 years ago
Sexual? So showing a straight couple is not sexual but showing a gay couple is? Do you realize how bigoted and actually just stupid that sounds...

Do you have to work at outrageously misinterpreting people's comments or does it just come naturally?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.3.11  Jack_TX  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @1.3.7    2 years ago
Who they love is the difference between a gay character and a straight one. 

Nonsense.  They both love their mothers. 

The difference is the people to whom they are sexually attracted.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.3.12  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @1.3.9    2 years ago
The straight characters kiss and lick each other more often in movies; even when the scene is obviously not fully cleared of its danger-they are two 'star-crossed lovers' staring into each other's eyes and kissing and licking each other.

We're talking about Disney movies for small children.  They have a noticeably low amount of kissing and a complete lack of licking unless the characters are dogs.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.3.13  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Jack_TX @1.3.12    2 years ago

It's been years since watching Ratatouille with my daughter, but there might have been some licking in it.  It was an enjoyable movie.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.3.14  JBB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.3.11    2 years ago

Romantic love is different than familial...

Unless you have romantic feels for Mom.

When did you become an expert on gay?

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.3.15  pat wilson  replied to  Jack_TX @1.3.11    2 years ago

I know several gay couples who have been married for 15 years or more. Obviously there's more there than just sexual attraction.

CB
Professor Principal
1.3.16  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.3.12    2 years ago

Then you have 'squared' your own question! Good on you! In case you missed the answer you delivered:

We're talking about Disney movies for small children.  They have a noticeably low amount of kissing and a complete lack of licking.

So what other gay/straight difference is 'disturbing' to you? Help me understand better.

CB
Professor Principal
1.3.17  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.3.11    2 years ago

Ah-ha! So you ARE writing about sexual attraction, and are 'worried' there may be kissing and licking , in Disney movies now?  jrSmiley_123_smiley_image.gif

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
1.3.18  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  Jack_TX @1.3.11    2 years ago

A straight person is driven as much by sexual attraction as a gay person is.  Does a straight person not marry someone they are sexually attracted to?  Of course they do.  There's no difference whatsoever between the two so your argument is just based on your bias and nothing else.  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.3.19  Jack_TX  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @1.3.18    2 years ago

We.  Are.  Talking.  About.  DISNEY.  Films.

At least attempt to pay attention.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.3.20  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @1.3.17    2 years ago

Do you have any concept of the idea of "age appropriateness"?  

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
1.3.21  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  Jack_TX @1.3.19    2 years ago

And. Disney. Films. Can. Have. Characters. Who. Love. One. Another. Whether. They. Are. Gay. Or. Straight. 

If. You. Want. Disney. To. Not. Show. Any. Characters. Who. Love. One. Another. Then. Disney. Should. Get. Out. Of. The. Movie. Making. Business. Altogether.  

I have been paying attention.  It's not a bad thing for children to learn that two women can love each other or that two men can love each other.  

Ender
Professor Principal
1.3.22  Ender  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @1.3.21    2 years ago

Amazes me people trying to make their own interpretations. Being gay is only sexual while being straight is more than that.

Makes me wonder about people themselves if when they picture two men or two women together that they can only imagine them having sex...

CB
Professor Principal
1.3.23  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.3.20    2 years ago

Miss me with your misdirection. You brought this up with your less than stellar slight about gays being "sexual" implying it is all that homosexuals are about! Moreover that sex seeps into their acting, so stereotypical of you to notice how "hetero" culture have dominated and marginalized homosexuals such that sexual sensitivity is all they are haltingly permitted to 'be" know for as a category.

So I point out to you that kissing and licking goes on in heterosexual movies too, but now you want to talk age appropriateness? How about just coming back up to a standard of 'good taste' in movies?

CB
Professor Principal
1.3.24  CB  replied to  Ender @1.3.22    2 years ago

Yeah, long walks on the beach and taking care of elderly/aging parents are not traits you can ever credit to homosexuals. Oh look! A men's room (truck-stop) means. . . what?!

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.3.25  Jack_TX  replied to  JBB @1.3.14    2 years ago
Romantic love is different than familial...

No shit.   You don't say. 

Of course that was the point of my post, wasn't it?  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.3.26  Jack_TX  replied to  Ender @1.3.22    2 years ago
Amazes me people trying to make their own interpretations.

Or, in your case, misinterpretations.  You're on quite a roll with those today.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.3.27  Ender  replied to  Jack_TX @1.3.26    2 years ago

How is it misrepresentation? Are you not the one saying gay couples are only sexual?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.3.28  Jack_TX  replied to  Ender @1.3.27    2 years ago
Are you not the one saying gay couples are only sexual?

That's not what I said at all.  Read it again.

How is it misrepresentation?

Because that's not what I said at all.

Let me help you.  Tell me what you think the difference between a gay couple and a straight couple is?

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
1.3.29  afrayedknot  replied to  Jack_TX @1.3.28    2 years ago

“Tell me what you think the difference between a gay couple and a straight couple is?”

Not a single thing, other than a penis…

…and whenever that appendage is involved, expect nothing but the obligatory wagging of the same. 

Ender
Professor Principal
1.3.30  Ender  replied to  Jack_TX @1.3.28    2 years ago
Sexual.  Obviously.

Not what you said at all? Are you dismissing your own posts?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.3.31  Jack_TX  replied to  Ender @1.3.30    2 years ago
Not what you said at all? Are you dismissing your own posts?

I'm dismissing your batshit misinterpretation.

You didn't answer the question.  Tell me what you think the difference between a gay couple and a straight couple is.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.3.32  Jack_TX  replied to  afrayedknot @1.3.29    2 years ago
Not a single thing, other than a penis… …and whenever that appendage is involved, expect nothing but the obligatory wagging of the same. 

So it's sexual.  Thank you.

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
1.3.33  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  Jack_TX @1.3.32    2 years ago

No it's not sexual. If you hear the words gay, lesbian, etc., and the only thing you think about is sex, that's a you problem and shows that you fell for the propaganda that told you that it's all about sex. Again, it's no more about sex than being heterosexual is. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.3.34  Jack_TX  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @1.3.33    2 years ago
No it's not sexual.

Tell me what you think the difference between a gay couple and a straight couple is.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.3.36  pat wilson  replied to  Jack_TX @1.3.31    2 years ago
the difference between a gay couple and a straight couple is.

One of the couples is the same gender. Gender and sexuality are not the same thing.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
1.3.37  afrayedknot  replied to  Jack_TX @1.3.34    2 years ago

“Tell me what you think the difference between a gay couple and a straight couple is.”

Again, not a damn thing.

Can you please answer the very question you pose? 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.3.38  Jack_TX  replied to  pat wilson @1.3.36    2 years ago
One of the couples is the same gender.

Exactly.  Because they are sexually attracted to people of the same gender.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.3.39  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @1.3.32    2 years ago

I think qualification is in order here.

Technically, as noted by afrayedknot, the difference between a homosexual and a heterosexual couple is that the former have like genetalia whereas the latter have differing genetalia.

There is no requirement that a couple engage in sexual activity to be considered a couple.   In this case the couple is not sexual (as in active) but the couple itself is characterized by their relative sex parts.

And, of course, this starts getting very complicated if we move from pure biology into gender identification.   So let's table that for now.

So ... the difference is based on the relative biological sex of each partner and has nothing to do with behavior.   Other than that, human couples are human couples.

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.3.40  GregTx  replied to  TᵢG @1.3.39    2 years ago

Good grief...

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
1.3.41  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  Jack_TX @1.3.34    2 years ago

You're talking to someone who is Bisexual. From experience, I know more about this topic than you do. It's a difference in who you fall in love with. And don't give me your bullshit about it being about who you're sexually attracted to because heterosexual relationships are the same way. Are you going to fall in love with or marry someone you're not sexually attracted to?  LGBTQ relationships start the same way heterosexual relationships do, usually you start out with a crush on someone and it develops from there. You fell for the propaganda machine to turn LGBTQ people into the "other" so you treat them as such, but again, that's a you problem. 

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
1.3.42  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  Jack_TX @1.3.38    2 years ago

The same way heterosexual people do. Are you going to be in a relationship with or marry someone who you aren't sexually attracted to? No, you're not. So there's no difference. 

JBB
Professor Principal
1.3.43  JBB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.3.34    2 years ago

You do not seem to understand that the LGTBQ community loves their partners and children and families and friends exactly the same ways that your "pure" breeders do.

Perhaps more so because they fought for the legal rights straights take for granted

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.3.44  GregTx  replied to  JBB @1.3.43    2 years ago
breeders.....  ?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.3.45  Jack_TX  replied to  afrayedknot @1.3.37    2 years ago
Again, not a damn thing.

Well that's moronic.  If that were true we wouldn't bother with the adjective at all, now would we?

Can you please answer the very question you pose? 

I already have.  It's an utterly obvious answer, BTW. 

But we've got several people playing that favorite game where we pretend the utterly obvious things are somehow not real because it's inconvenient for their politics. 

JBB
Professor Principal
1.3.46  JBB  replied to  GregTx @1.3.44    2 years ago

"Good girls do it too" - My Mom - 1972...

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
1.3.47  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  Jack_TX @1.3.45    2 years ago

Being LGBTQ had nothing to do with politics no matter how hard conservatives try to make it political. 

JBB
Professor Principal
1.3.48  JBB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.3.45    2 years ago

Why not just spell it out. Spit it out. Say it!

You already beat a trail around that bush.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.3.49  JBB  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @1.3.47    2 years ago

Altough being a gay republican is akin to being a Jewish Nazi, but yes they do exist.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.3.50  TᵢG  replied to  GregTx @1.3.40    2 years ago

You disagree?   How so?

If a male is attracted to a female and vice-versa, the resulting couple is considered heterosexual.   Whether or not they have had sexual relations.

If a male is attracted to a male, or female is attracted to a female, the couple is consider homosexual.   Whether or not they have had sexual relations.

If a heterosexual couple ceases to have sexual activity, are they no longer considered a heterosexual couple?

I am assuming we all generally agree that the word 'couple' as used here indicates a romantic attraction between two people and an agreement to 'be with each other'.   That is, I am assuming we are not using the most broad meaning of 'two people'  (as in the 'Odd Couple').

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.3.51  Jack_TX  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @1.3.41    2 years ago
LGBTQ relationships start the same way heterosexual relationships do,

Yes.  If you had read carefully you would have noticed that I never stated otherwise.

usually you start out with a crush on someone and it develops from there.

Yes.  So it actually IS about who you're sexually attracted to.

Thank you.

You fell for the propaganda machine to turn LGBTQ people into the "other" so you treat them as such, but again, that's a you problem. 

I realize you think so, but you're not reading carefully, you're not following the whole conversation, and you're not paying attention.

You just described an idea as bullshit and then proclaimed it emphatically.  You are so convinced you are about to be attacked that you can't fathom any other possibility.  

You just said that these things happen just like they do with straight couples.  The ONLY difference is who they're attracted to.   

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.3.52  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @1.3.39    2 years ago
There is no requirement that a couple engage in sexual activity to be considered a couple.

There is also no requirement that a person walk upright to be considered human.  But given the percentages, it's a safe generalization.

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
1.3.53  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  Jack_TX @1.3.51    2 years ago

I'm reading carefully and paying close attention since I'm BISEXUAL. You're just talking in circles.  You've proven my point about you falling for propaganda, and I've explained to you over and over and over again that it's no different than being heterosexual other than the parties involved.  And you have yet to answer the question posed to you over and over again. Are you going to be in a relationship or marry someone that you are not sexually attracted to?  If your answer is no, then you're just being a hypocrite and showing your bigotry towards the LGBTQ community.  You've shown your hand over and over, and I have given you answers over and over which you have just ignored. 

JBB
Professor Principal
1.3.54  JBB  replied to  TᵢG @1.3.50    2 years ago

Just like with most heterosexual couples the few minutes out of their lives spent in sex acts are a special form of personal intimacy. And, just like with heterosexual couples their lives are mostly lived doing the drudge work of normal life like going to work, cooking meals, cleaning, doing laundry. It is not all about sex for either.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.3.55  JBB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.3.52    2 years ago

Good Grief! 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.3.56  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @1.3.52    2 years ago
There is also no requirement that a person walk upright to be considered human. 

Indeed, walking upright is not a necessary property for being a human.

But given the percentages, it's a safe generalization.

Have you considered how many animals (and insects) are bipedal?   

I do see your point ... that if two people are a couple that they more than likely have an active sexual relationship.   But I think a much stronger discriminator is, as noted, biological sex.

You recognize a human need not walk upright to be human, so I suspect you see that active sexuality is not a defining property for homosexual or heterosexual couples.   Given a couple is a romantic pairing (assuming we are on the same page here) the adjective homosexual or heterosexual is most accurately determined by the respective genetalia. 

An interesting question arises when the genetalia is biologically mixed (hermaphrodite).   Obviously extreme, but this is where the biological factor loses its discriminating power.

( Again, I am intentionally steering clear of gender identification. )

By the way, my uber point is simply:  homosexual and heterosexual couples are almost indistinguishable in all the properties of the relationship except for biological sex.

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
1.3.57  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  Jack_TX @1.3.51    2 years ago

Are you going to be in a relationship with or marry someone that you are NOT sexually attracted to?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.3.58  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @1.3.54    2 years ago
[deleted]

JBB
Professor Principal
1.3.59  JBB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.3.58    2 years ago

[deleted]

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.3.60  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @1.3.59    2 years ago

Removed for context

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.3.61  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.3.60    2 years ago

[deleted]

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.3.62  pat wilson  replied to  Jack_TX @1.3.38    2 years ago

I think your earlier comments sounded as though you thought gays only formed sexual relationships, not long term unions in personal relationships.

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
1.3.63  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  pat wilson @1.3.62    2 years ago

That's exactly how it sounds. 

Ender
Professor Principal
1.3.64  Ender  replied to  Jack_TX @1.3.31    2 years ago

Batshit misrepresentation? It is what you are saying....

And said again ...

So it's sexual.  Thank you.

Twice you have said it was sexual then try to accuse me of misrepresentation...

Ok, I am starting to wonder here...

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.3.65  Jack_TX  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @1.3.53    2 years ago
I'm reading carefully and paying close attention since I'm BISEXUAL. You're just talking in circles.

*sigh*.  Keep trying.  Try reading without the presumption that you're being attacked.  My numerous gay friends describe me as "open and affirming", BTW.

I've explained to you over and over and over again that it's no different than being heterosexual other than the parties involved.

Yes.  Which has, in fact, been my point from the very beginning.  

Are you going to be in a relationship or marry someone that you are not sexually attracted to?

No.  And here we are in agreement again.  Isn't this great?

If your answer is no, then you're just being a hypocrite and showing your bigotry towards the LGBTQ community.

So.... in your mind.... asserting that gay relationships are very similar to straight ones is "bigoted" or "hypocritical".  Do you even hear yourself?  Or are you just so desperately convinced you're being persecuted that you can't acknowledge the meaning of basic English words?

Once again....  pay very close attention and see if you can follow it this time.....   

• By definition, gay couples are attracted to people of their own gender and straight couples are attracted to people of the opposite gender.
  • YOU have declared that attraction to be sexual, regardless of whether the couple is gay or straight.  This is absolutely correct in 99% of cases. 
  • YOU have also declared that gay and straight couples are very similar in all other relationship aspects.  We agree upon this point, as well.
  • YOU have also said the ONLY difference between a gay couple and a straight couple is who they're sexually attracted to. 
  • Ergo, the difference is sexual.  

So in your discombobulation driven by your presumption that you were being attacked, you have proceeded to confirm the very points you called "bullshit". 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.3.66  Jack_TX  replied to  Ender @1.3.64    2 years ago
Batshit misrepresentation

Yes.  Thoroughly.  At no point have I said gay couples are "only sexual".  

Twice you have said it was sexual then try to accuse me of misrepresentation...

Do you understand the meaning of the word "only"? 

Do you understand the difference between the phrases "only sexual" and "the only difference"?

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
1.3.67  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  Jack_TX @1.3.65    2 years ago

You're the one who keeps saying it's ALL ABOUT SEX WHEN IT'S NOT.  End of story. If you think I feel attacked,  you're wrong. I was trying to teach you something, but my assumption that you were open to learning something was wrong.  You just want to argue.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.3.68  Jack_TX  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @1.3.67    2 years ago
You're the one who keeps saying it's ALL ABOUT SEX WHEN IT'S NOT.

Cite me.

I was trying to teach you something,

Only because you believe I disagree with you, and you only believe that because you refuse to read carefully.

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
1.3.69  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  Jack_TX @1.3.68    2 years ago

As I've already stated, I've read it carefully.  You're still not learning anything.  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.3.70  Jack_TX  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @1.3.69    2 years ago
As I've already stated, I've read it carefully.

Riiiiiight. 

And yet you still cannot manage to cite these egregious things you claim.  Very curious.

CB
Professor Principal
1.4  CB  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

Well Disney will live and learn. Too bad, the featured 'normalcy' around kids getting gunned down at school has not flopped!  Now there is a 'neato' animated concept: A series of high production value movies with great story lines about kids getting "mowed down" while sitting at their homeroom desks!  /s

Stock issue: boys will be boys 'material.' Those movies will be family-centered hits!

Ender
Professor Principal
2  Ender    2 years ago

Seems to me the flop is not about a character, just a bad film.

I agree with the one guy, I have never even heard of this movie until today. So it was not really promoted.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    2 years ago

I think I heard somewhere a day or two ago that the Thanksgiving weekend box office for movies at theaters was the worst in decades. 

The new Black Panther movie also did not do as well as predicted. Maybe families dont want to see movies where all the main characters are black.  Of course the first Black Panther movie did extremely well, but this is a new day. jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

I will say that I think Hollywood is in some danger of overplaying the emergence of gay and trans characters in movies, but that would stem from the usual, and idiotic tendency for entertainment to overmilk whatever the hot topic of the day is. I think that gay and trans characters should be represented in entertainment, for sure, but perhaps not at a higher level than they exist in the general population. Had this Disney movie been a hit we likely would see a string of animated movies with gay lead characters.  I think there should be a balance. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.1  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @3    2 years ago
I will say that I think Hollywood is in some danger of overplaying the emergence of gay and trans characters in movies, but that would stem from the usual, and idiotic tendency for entertainment to overmilk whatever the hot topic of the day is. I think that gay and trans characters should be represented in entertainment, for sure, but perhaps not at a higher level than they exist in the general population. Had this Disney movie been a hit we likely would see a string of animated movies with gay lead characters.  I think there should be a balance. 

Exceedingly well said.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.2  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @3    2 years ago
The new Black Panther movie also did not do as well as predicted.

Because anyone that had read the comic books knew that they bastardized Namor. Tell us if the Disney version of Namor even looks remotely like this?

Namor’s origin story tells that he is the son of a human sea captain, Leonard McKenzie, and an escaped Atlantean princess, Fen. (So yes, Namor’s full name is Namor McKenzie). Due to his hybrid DNA, Namor possesses a slew of powers. Among Namor’s abilities is the power to breathe underwater like an Atlantean, though his skin is not blue like theirs. He is also ten times stronger than any Atlantean or human and has telepathic control over sea life and even his own soldiers. Unlike Atlanteans or humans, he can fly, thanks to the wings on his feet.

Now compare him to what Disney presented in the movie.

We know he goes by another name in the film: K’ul’ku’kan, “the feathered serpent god,” and unlike his comics counterpart, he isn’t from Atlantis, but from Talokan, a fictional undersea paradise inspired by Meso-American culture.

Namor, also known as the Sub-Mariner, is the King of Atlantis and the ruler of the oceans. Namor was born with his powers, thanks to his unique parents. In his origin story — as crafted in the distant year of 1939 — his father was an explorer sent by Woodrow Wilson to the Antarctic to investigate the disappearance of Sir Ernest Shackleton (who was sent on a quest for vibranium by Winston Churchill), and his mother was an Atlantean princess named Fen.

As you might expect from a sea-faring hero, Namor can speak to and control the denizens of the oceans, breathe underwater, and swim with ease. He can also heal himself when he’s in water and even telekinetically control water in some iterations. Namor is also pretty capable on land, using his super strength and speed to make him a great fighter. He can also fly, for some reason. It’s why he has little wings on his ankles.

For any comic Nerds (like I was growing up)- the movie version of Namor is completely perverse. Namor would never wear a crown; nose piercing; earrings; necklaces, or any of that ornate garbage. Namor ruled Atlantis by might alone. There are far more comic Nerds out there than Disney will ever admit to. If the comic Nerds refuse to go see a super hero movie; then it tanks.

Maybe families dont want to see movies where all the main characters are black.  Of course the first Black Panther movie did extremely well, but this is a new day.

Only in those on the left that view everything about being racial. 

Disney wrecked Namor. The movie sucked. Not all the wokeness in the world was going to save it.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    2 years ago

news.yahoo.com   /worst-thanksgiving-weekend-box-office-205240754.html

This Was the Worst Thanksgiving Weekend in Box-Office History.

Tom Brueggemann 7-9 minutes   11/27/2022

c2c5192fa872ca6206d71183cf2e1118

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever ” is still number one and “ Strange World ” tanked, but here’s what’s important: The three-day Thanksgiving   box office   weekend came to $95 million. In 2o19, this weekend’s total was $181 million; in 2018, $216 million. For all of 2019, only four weekends fell short of $100 million.

The last time a Thanksgiving weekend grossed under $100 million was… never? Nearly 30 years ago, Thanksgiving 1994 saw a three-day weekend of $94.5 million… when ticket prices averaged $4.08.

James Cameron’s “Avatar: The Way of Water” (Disney) opens December 16 and (as we’ve said too often) it can’t come soon enough. But if we’ve learned one thing this year, an occasional massive hit will not salvage what continues to be a troubled theatrical marketplace.

Dominant distributor Disney will take the crown by a narrower margin for 2022. The cause is helped by taking the two top slots at this holiday, normally a major achievement. But the asterisk accompanying this “triumph” is huge.

“Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” (Disney) amassed nearly half the weekend’s take with $46 million. That’s subpar for Thanksgiving weekend as a #1 ; many years saw two films gross over $40 million for the three days.

0509c47521d7c3c0b9b2a69c129242f1

At #2 , Disney’s animated “Strange World” is something like an unparalleled disaster. Forget the disappointment of Pixar’s “Lightyear” in June, with its $50 million opening weekend. “Strange World” is less than $19 million over five days on one of the year’s best release dates.

Its budget has been reported as anywhere from $130 million-$180 million. The marketing expense might exceed its ultimate domestic take (which, particularly with expected by-Christmas streaming, could fall short of $40 million).

By anything other than the standards of 2018’s “Black Panther” (and theaters’ need for films to exceed beyond all expectations), “Wakanda” continues to perform well. Through its third weekend, it is just under $370 million. It’s on track to hit $500 million domestic, with play through Christmas. That would compare to $700 million previously (closer to $850 million at today’s prices), but also position it as #2 for the year — at least until “Avatar” opens. Decent results, but theaters today need more than that.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1  Ender  replied to  JohnRussell @4    2 years ago

I have thought, why go to a theatre when one can sit at home and stream it.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Ender @4.1    2 years ago

It used to be , back in the Blockbuster days, that it took about four months for a movie to go from theaters to video. Now with streaming either a movie opens on streaming or even if it does open in theaters it is available for streaming a week or two later. Box office receipts may never go back to where they were before all this. 

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Ender  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.1    2 years ago

Think about it though. Spend 20 bucks to stream it at home or 40 bucks (just for tickets) for a family of 4 in theatre.

For some the pageantry (for lack of a better word) is what draws them. The big screen and sound etc.

Yet that is also getting to be a thing of the past with people having 65 inch tevisions with surround sound.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4.1.3  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Ender @4.1.2    2 years ago

The snacks are cheaper and there’s a pause button to go with a clean private bathroom too!

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Ender  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @4.1.3    2 years ago

Don't have to lug the kids around...

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.1.5  Jack_TX  replied to  Ender @4.1    2 years ago
I have thought, why go to a theatre when one can sit at home and stream it.

And even if you can't stream it right now, you'll be able to stream it soon.  

I agree.  I don't go to the theatre unless it's something I REALLY want to see.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5  Hal A. Lujah    2 years ago

In the bigot Pavlov test, every time the word gay is mentioned a visual of a penis entering a butthole comes to mind.  Then the same bigots go beg their wives for anal sex.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6  Tacos!    2 years ago
"Disney is 100% going to blame STRANGE WORLD's inevitable bad box office on the fact that there's an openly gay character in the movie

I doubt that. Social conservatives might say that, but I doubt Disney will say that.

it's going to flop because they didn't market it at all

This. I have kids and we watch lots of Disney stuff, but I didn’t know this existed until today. 

And nothing about that is unusual. Disney has had other movies that they neglected to promote. I don’t know why. Maybe the voice cast is not popular. Maybe it looks too weird and unrelatable. Maybe because it’s not a princess movie. Maybe a modest budget didn’t compel expensive promotion. Maybe it just sucks. Not every movie is a winner. That’s true for any studio.

It’s also a tough time for movies, in general. Regardless, this is not some clear signal that there should never be gay characters in an animated family movie.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1  Split Personality  replied to  Tacos! @6    2 years ago

It was up against 9 or 10 hours of NFL football on Thursday, World Cup on Friday

and college football playoffs on Saturday, NFL all day Sunday.

Sports won.

Absolutely nothing to do with gay animated characters or gay football players in Qatar or anywhere else.

George
Junior Expert
7  George    2 years ago

Ishtar thanks Disney for their support.

evilone
Professor Guide
8  evilone    2 years ago

It is my understanding the movie has a 2 minor passing mentions of same sex marriage. The issues at play are the ex-CEO didn't like animated movies so didn't market it and the other is mediocre writing. Then there is still a very visible loss of people not going back to movie theaters in general. That's been showing across almost all movies all year. The whole, "Go woke, go broke" bullshit is just that. Bullshit. The movie will quickly move to Disney+ and do okay there. 

This whole anti-woke thing is hilarious, though. The sounds of your lamentations keep me warm in the cold winter darkness. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

IMO Hollywood is going to extremes to comply with the most recent fad.  For example, there was no way that the recent The Magnificent Seven was going to be anywhere as iconic as the original just because they bent over backward to be "inclusive" and had to include as many possibilities of race, religion, faith and culture among the seven as they could, although they didn't include a transgender lesbian Muslim.   

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
10  mocowgirl    2 years ago

Hollywood can market to the masses or market to the fringes - their money, their choice. 

It is not acceptable to blame/shame people for not wanting to waste their time and money on Hollywood's vanity projects.

Sometimes it is not the movie's message (or lack thereof), the movie itself is just not worthwhile. 

Kind of like the difference between The Graduate and Myra Breckinridge .

The Graduate - Rotten Tomatoes

I suggest that you see The Graduate for fun, and the hell with the next American cinema coming of age.

August 10, 2022 |  

and

Myra Breckinridge - Rotten Tomatoes

Whatever director Michael Sarne had in mind, it is a long way from novelist Gore Vidal's original intention.

April 20, 2021 |  

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
11  mocowgirl    2 years ago

Society is continually changing.  A lot of the time, I watch comedy to gain some perspective on the good old days of yesteryear.