╌>

Women banned from universities in Afghanistan by the Taliban

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  2 years ago  •  15 comments

By:   The Associated Press

Women banned from universities in Afghanistan by the Taliban
Women are banned from private and public universities in Afghanistan with immediate effect and until further notice, a Taliban government spokesman said Tuesday.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

KABUL, Afghanistan — Women are banned from private and public universities in Afghanistan with immediate effect and until further notice, a Taliban government spokesman said Tuesday, the latest edict cracking down on their rights and freedoms.

The decision was announced after a meeting of the Taliban government.

Despite initially promising a more moderate rule and women's and minority rights, the Taliban have widely implemented their harsh interpretation of Islamic law, or Sharia.

They have banned girls from middle school and high school, restricted women from most employment and ordered them to wear head-to-toe clothing in public. Women are also banned from parks and gyms.

A letter shared by the spokesman for the Ministry of Higher Education, Ziaullah Hashmi, tells private and public universities to implement the ban as soon as possible and to inform the ministry once the ban is in place.

Hashmi also tweeted the letter from his account and confirmed its contents in a message to The Associated Press.

The university ban comes weeks after Afghan girls took their high school graduation exams, even though they have been banned from classrooms since the Taliban took over the country last year.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

When the Taliban took over and made promises to the world about moderating their governance I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and a chance to do so, but obviously I was naive.  Unfortunately their local enemies have been bombing innocent civilians - they should take aim at the government and clergy instead.  I suppose if there were an uprising about this like what has been happening in Iran for similar reasons the protesters would most likely be dealt with no differently.  God help the women there. 

shona1
PhD Quiet
1.1  shona1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    2 years ago

Evening..

A leopard doesn't change it's spots..

Neither do the Taliban...

It was always a given as soon as the West left, everything we stand for would be obliterated..an educated female society is dangerous in their eyes..

The Taliban want to live in the Dark ages and nothing.. be they Russian or us were ever going to change that and never will.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  shona1 @1.1    2 years ago

I think any education is anathema to the Taliban. They like to keep them dumb and down on the poppy farm

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.1    2 years ago

I don't see that much daylight between them and the aspirations of the xtian nationalists here.

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
1.1.3  Drakkonis  replied to  devangelical @1.1.2    2 years ago
I don't see that much daylight between them and the aspirations of the xtian nationalists here.

Funny. I feel the same about the Progressive Left. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    2 years ago
When the Taliban took over and made promises to the world about moderating their governance I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt

I knew this was coming.  After 3 tours in Afghanistan and seeing, first hand, how the Taliban treat women and children, it was a matter of WHEN this would happen.  Not IF it would happen.  

I'm actually surprised it took this long.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    2 years ago

The disgusting, barbaric, and savage individuals (can't really call them men, as real men would not act the way they do) that comprise the Taliban are so insecure it is pathetic. In addition, they have seen what is going on in Iran and are probably very scared that the women in Afghanistan will do the same thing. I sincerely hope they do.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.4.1  Split Personality  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.4    2 years ago
(can't really call them men, as real men would not act the way they do)

Thats a cultural comparison.

They are tribal at it's basest form.

What little education they get, they get at a mosque, enough to read the Koran

and count poppies.

They are the very definition of indoctrinated.

The difference between us and them is formal education, exposure to multiple religions

and cultures and the English language.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    2 years ago

We should invade. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 years ago

no

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 years ago

Bad idea.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

Is it me or is there something missing from the lead story today?

independent Liberal
Freshman Quiet
4  independent Liberal    2 years ago

I feel so much better that we are continuing to give these uneducated inbred cave dwellers foreign aid so the entire tax paying population can be culpable in this travesty.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5  Freefaller    2 years ago

Lol and here I was thinking they would form a moderate, freedom loving government committed to equal rights for all

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6  TᵢG    2 years ago

Nothing like a theocracy to turn back the hands of time in societal evolution.

This was, of course, the obvious trajectory.   Amazingly sad, but no surprise.