╌>

Two Ukrainian pilots are in the U.S. for training assessment on attack aircraft, including F-16s

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  last year  •  116 comments

By:   Courtney Kube and Carol E. Lee

Two Ukrainian pilots are in the U.S. for training assessment on attack aircraft, including F-16s
Two Ukrainian pilots are in the U.S. undergoing an assessment to determine how long it could take to train them to fly attack aircraft, including F-16 fighter jets, according to two congressional officials and a senior U.S. official.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Two Ukrainian pilots are in the U.S. undergoing an assessment to determine how long it could take to train them to fly attack aircraft, including F-16 fighter jets, according to two congressional officials and a senior U.S. official.

The Ukrainians' skills are being evaluated on simulators at a U.S. military base in Tucson, Arizona, the officials said, and they may soon be joined by more of their fellow pilots.

U.S. authorities have approved bringing up to 10 more Ukrainian pilots to the U.S. for further assessment as early as this month, the officials said.

Their arrival marks the first time Ukrainian pilots have traveled to the U.S. to have their skills evaluated by American military trainers. Officials said the effort has twin goals: to improve the pilots' skills and to evaluate how long a proper training program could take.

"The program is about assessing their abilities as pilots so we can better advise them on how to use capabilities they have and we have given them," an administration official said.

Two administration officials stressed that it wasn't a training program and said that the Ukrainians would not be flying any aircraft during their time here.

A F-16 Fighting Falcon flies during a NATO air shielding exercise in Lask, Poland on Oct. 12, 2022.Omar Marques / Getty Images file

These officials said the pilots would be using a simulator that can mimic flying various types of aircraft, and they emphasized that there had been no updates on the U.S. decision to provide F-16s to Ukraine beyond what the Pentagon's top policy official said to Congress last week.

The official, Colin Kahl, told the House Armed Services Committee that the U.S. had not made the decision to provide F-16s and neither had U.S. allies and partners.

He also said the U.S. had "not started training on F-16s" and that the delivery time line for F-16s is "essentially the same" as the training time line, about 18 months.

"So you don't actually save yourself time by starting the training early in our assessment," said Kahl, who is the under secretary of defense for policy. "And since we haven't made the decision to provide F-16s and neither have our allies and partners, it doesn't make sense to start to train them on a system they may never get."

Other U.S. defense officials have said the training could be shortened to six to nine months, depending on the pilots previous training and knowledge of fighter aircraft.

Ukrainian officials have told the U.S. and other allies that they had fewer than 20 pilots ready to travel to the U.S. to train on F-16s but haf about 30 who could be trained soon, according to American and Western officials.

Asked about the assessment of two Ukrainian pilots, a defense official described it as "familiarization event."

"It is a routine activity as part of our military-to-military dialogue with Ukraine," the official said.

"The 'familiarization event' is essentially a discussion between the Air Force personnel and an observation of how the U.S. Air Force operates. This event allows us to better help Ukrainian pilots become more effective pilots and better advise them on how to develop their own capabilities."

The defense official added that there were no immediate plans to increase the number of pilots beyond the two currently in Tucson but said "we're not closing the door on future opportunities."

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has repeatedly asked the U.S. for F-16s, but President Joe Biden has resisted the requests so far. In an interview with ABC News last month, Biden said Ukraine did not need F-16s at this time, basing that assessment on the U.S. military's advice.

"I'm ruling it out for now," Biden said when asked if he would ever send F-16s to Ukraine.

Ukrainian citizens and supporters attend a demonstration of solidarity with Ukraine in Krakow, Poland, on Feb. 24.Beata Zawrzel / NurPhoto via AP file

Biden also told reporters last week that he had discussed F-16s with Zelenskyy during his visit to Kyiv on Feb. 20 but would not disclose the details of that discussion.

In his appearance before the House Armed Services Committee, Kahl said that Ukrainian officials had asked the U.S. for as many as 128 aircraft — a mix of F-15s, F-16s and F-18s.

Kahl said the U.S. Air Force estimated that Ukraine would ultimately need between 50 and 80 F-16s to replace its current air force. If the U.S. provides newly built aircraft, it would take three to six years to deliver them to Ukraine, with a slightly shorter time line of 18 to 24 months if the U.S. sent refurbished older model F-16s.

The cost to send the F-16s would be as much as $11 billion, depending on the model and number delivered.

"That would consume a huge portion of the remaining security assistance that we have for this fiscal year," Kahl said.

On Sunday, Rep. Michael McCaul, a Texas Republican, said U.S. military officials told him they supported providing F-16s to Ukraine.

"I was at the Munich Security Conference, met with a lot of the high-ranking military officials, including our supreme allied commander," McCaul said on ABC News' "This Week."

"They're all in favor of us putting not only F-16s in but longer-range artillery, to take out the Iranian drones in Crimea."

But with the long timeline for delivery and training of F-16s, the huge price tag and the large Russian air force already gathering aircraft across the border from Ukraine, some US military leaders recommend focusing on weapons and equipment that Ukraine could use immediately, such as air defense systems.

"Even in our most earnest effort it will take months to get Ukrainians flying F-16s. They are beating the Russian air force with air defenses, why would we change tactics now?" a U.S. defense official said.

The Russian air force had roughly 500 aircraft, the official said, which dwarfs the Ukrainian force.

"It's just not the way to fight the Russian air force," the official added. "Even if we spend all the money and send every aircraft we can, it's just a drop in the bucket compared to the Russian air force."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  Buzz of the Orient    last year

Another step.

Tick...tick...tick...tick...

OIP-C.oODTTG6YXwyYyPFSFNsY-gHaET?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2  Ed-NavDoc    last year

How do their flying skills get assessed but yet they will not be flying any aircraft?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2    last year

I think that near-term British Tornados and/or Swedish Gripens are more likely than F-16's.   In the meantime, I hope these two have a little time to enjoy Tucson and the area.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.1    last year

I hope they enjoy Tucson as well. Hope they get to see the Pima Air & Space Museum as well since it is adjacent to DM. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.1.2  Snuffy  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1.1    last year
Hope they get to see the Pima Air & Space Museum

That's a great place, I love going there.  They also host an old Air Force 1 who holds the record of having one more take-off than landing....  (wonder if anybody can guess how this happened (hint, it wasn't from crashing)).

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Snuffy @2.1.2    last year

I live two hours South of Tucson in Douglas down on the border and I drive to Tucson regularly. Many times I will take the Valencia Rd exit off I-10 just to drive by and see what's on display by the fence. They are frequently changing the line up of the large aircraft so you never know what might be seen there.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Sparty On  replied to  Snuffy @2.1.2    last year

Yep, has to do with tricky Dicky.      Still POTUS when it took off, Ford was sworn in while he was in the air.  Not POTUS when he landed.

Remember it well

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.1.5  Snuffy  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.4    last year

But do you know what else is special about that plane?  It was used by Truman before and Truman bothered the crew so much with questions about air speed, altitude, etc that the Air Force installed a panel that can be seen if sitting at the Presidents Desk that has gauges that show all the information that Truman used to ask about.  

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3  Drinker of the Wry    last year

Amazingly, some self-proclaimed progressives, view any support that helps Ukraine defend itself against the Russian bear, as dangerous and provocative.  Russia started this war, targets civilians, kidnaps children, makes rape a weapon, and wastes its own conscripts, it should be beneath contempt of all forward thinking people.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.1  Ronin2  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3    last year

So not being in support of sending billions in US military and financial aid to Ukraine in the same as condoning what Russia is doing there?

Ukraine- with probably the most corrupt government on the planet- that before the war was a hot spot for politicians to send family members and friends to earn big bucks. That outlawed the Russian language from being used on any government forms. That arrested opposition politicians and shut down opposition media. That condones (even has absorbed large portions of them into their government and military) fascist militias. Those self same fascists harassed and chased minority Ukrainians out of the country at the start of the war. 

What does the US need Ukraine for again- outside of a political piggy bank for kickbacks? 

If the goal was to make sure Russia wasn't a threat to NATO countries- mission already accomplished. Russian has been proven to be a military farce. They are still using WWII tactics. They haven't figured out air superiority wins wars. They don't have the means to achieve it. They are pulling conscripts off the street, giving them little to no training, and throwing them on the front lines. They are short rations, tanks (they are recommissioning moth balled tanks), weapons, and munitions. They were the number two arms seller in the world; and now they are buying from Iran, North Korea, and for Russia hopefully China soon. Their economy will take as long as their military to rebuild (if their war in Ukraine ever ends). The only reason we are not rolling into Moscow right now is Russia's nuclear arsenal; and everybody knows it.

Ukraine is not some bulwark of Democracy. They have served their purpose. Time for Zelensky to hit the negotiating table and stop hitting the US up for weapons, money, and now troops.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Ronin2 @3.1    last year

"Time for Zelensky to hit the negotiating table and stop hitting the US up for weapons, money, and now troops."

That's not going to happen. Russia can't be allowed to prevail. Like it or not, the US is in for the duration.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ronin2 @3.1    last year
So not being in support of sending billions in US military and financial aid to Ukraine in the same as condoning what Russia is doing there?

No they aren't the same.  Supporting Ukraine with aid is on one end, supporting Russia on the other and you apparently are in the middle.

Ukraine- with probably the most corrupt government on the planet- that before the war was a hot spot for politicians to send family members and friends to earn big bucks.

Corruption remains an ongoing struggle.  They went from part of the corrupt USSR just over 30 years ago to private networks of ownership created  by intimidation, cronyism and crime. Ten years ago, millions of citizens took to the streets in protest of their corrupt government.  Shortly thereafter, Russia invaded the Donbas region.  Since then, they are making incremental steps to improve.  Recently six deputy ministers and five regional administrators were dismissed.  

What does the US need Ukraine for again- outside of a political piggy bank for kickbacks? 

I think it is to our advantage to maintain world stability and prove that we are a dependable allie. China is watching and act according to the lessons they learn

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Ronin2 @3.1    last year

Ukraine is a necessary buffer/roadblock to help keep Vicious Vlad from spilling his mad military dreams and/or ambitions of rebuilding the former Soviet Union into Eastern and central Europe, so it does have strategic value. He knows that NATO will invoke Article 5 of NATO if he sets one foot into said member countries. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3.1.3    last year

In his deranged speech Saturday night, Trump referred to Putin as his friend.  This after all the tens of thousands of dead civilians in Putin's war. 

Still want to vote for Trump as the lesser of two evils ? 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3.1.5  Snuffy  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.4    last year

How off topic can you get?  

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.6  Kavika   replied to  Ronin2 @3.1    last year

When you make declarations with ''Ukraine is the most corrupt government on the planet'' it's best that you actually know what you're talking about. When living in a glass house it's best not to throw stones. The US has more than its share of corruption. Currently, in Ohio, five politicians have been indicted on $60 million dollar racketeering con. In many ways, the US has brought corruption to a fine art. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1.7  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.4    last year

I never ever voted for him to begin with as I don't really like him much at all. I just happen to dislike Biden more so why would you think I would want to vote for either one. I voted 3rd party the last two presidential elections and depending on who the candidates are in 2024, I may do so again in 2024.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.8  JohnRussell  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3.1.7    last year

I didnt ask you if you like him, I asked you if you would call him the lesser of two evils after he called Putin his friend Saturday night. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.10  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.8    last year

Of course Trump is the lesser of two evils, compared to Putin

In fact, to go further off topic, Trump is a lesser evil than Biden.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.11  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.8    last year

I've never voted for Trump and don't intend to in the future.  I understand why many have voted for them and labeling them as racists, ignorant and rednecks only encourages more future votes.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.12  Vic Eldred  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.10    last year

It's all nonsense. Putin feared Trump. You saw Putin invade the Crimea during the Obama years and you saw him invade Ukraine during the radical Biden years. 

But he NEVER made a move when Trump was in power!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.13  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.12    last year

Oh my God. 

Putin was waiting for Trump to get re-elected and pull the US out of NATO . That is why he was quiet during the Trump years.  He would let Trump do his dirty work of destroying the western Europe coalition for him. 

Trump regularly berated NATO and western Europe before and after he was elected in 2016. Putin was giving Trump the chance to come through for him. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.14  Sparty On  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.12    last year

Details, details ....

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.15  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.13    last year
Putin was waiting for Trump to get re-elected and pull the US out of NATO . That is why he was quiet during the Trump years.

Oh that was it?  

Why do I feel like I should be snuggled in bed with your theories?

th?id=OIP.Wub69LyCi0T-_ngbuAu_ZQHaFD&pid=Api&rs=1&c=1&qlt=95&w=166&h=113

Trump regularly berated NATO and western Europe before and after he was elected in 2016.

John, Trump wanted NATO members to PAY THEIR FAIR SHARE!

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3.1.16  Snuffy  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.15    last year

Trump was going to pull the US out of NATO.

Trump was going to cause a world war.

Trump was going to crash the US economy and the US Stock Market.

It's amazing how much those on the left know and are just so wrong always....

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.17  Vic Eldred  replied to  Snuffy @3.1.16    last year

It's incredibly amazing how they found 80 million votes.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.18  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.13    last year

The propaganda is strong in this one.

Trump was never against NATO per se.    He was against member nations not paying their agreed upon fair share and therefore not screwing American taxpayers any worse than we are already getting screwed by paying more than double our share to make up for piker countries.

I guess you like getting screwed by countries like Germany, France, Canada, etc since you are allegedly a US taxpayer as well.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.19  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.15    last year

Honest to god, sometimes I dont know why I waste my time here , its really hopeless in terms of presenting reality to people who dont want to hear it.  

• Jan. 14, 2019
WASHINGTON — There are few things that President Vladimir V. Putin of  Russia  desires more than the weakening of  NATO , the military alliance among the United States, Europe and Canada that has deterred Soviet and Russian aggression for 70 years.

Last year, President Trump suggested a move tantamount to destroying  NATO : the withdrawal of the United States.

Senior administration officials told The New York Times that several times over the course of 2018, Mr. Trump privately said he wanted to withdraw from the North Atlantic Treaty Organization. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.20  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.18    last year

You really need to read something besides the sports section. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.21  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.19    last year

BUT HE DIDN'T

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.22  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.21    last year

he lost the fucking election

and never got the chance. 

If he did it in his first term he never could have gotten re-elected. Even he was smart enough to know that

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.23  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.22    last year

He was going to wait for a second term to do it?????

Do you really believe this shit????

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.24  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.23    last year

You cant keep up Vic, you dont know what you dont know. 

NT will continue to suffer through all your gaslighting bilge.  Its a damn shame. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.25  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.20    last year

It seems all you have is propaganda and sophomoric insults.    

Once again no intellectual accuracy or maturity can be gleaned from one of your comments.

Sad.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.26  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.24    last year
You cant keep up Vic

I'm way ahead of you John. You can't defend these theories about Trump, who was above all else, a good President. What you should be concerned about is the radical in disguise, who replaced him.

BTW, every president knows that most of what they will accomplish takes place in the first two years of their terms.

NT will continue to suffer through

NT has only one thing to fear: a leftwing echo chamber!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.27  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.24    last year

OMG ..... the projection on display in that comment is considerable.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1.42  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.8    last year

You are wasting your time because you are trying to trap me into giving you the specific answer you want to hear and nothing else will suffice to you. You asked if I wanted to vote for him. I already said I would not vote for him, and that's under any circumstances. Whether anyone else thinks of him as the lesser of two evils is entirely irrelevant to me. I already answered your question and that is all you are going to get.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.52  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3.1.42    last year

This thread has been unlocked and cleaned up from the slap fight. Knock it off. Only warning.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.53  Tessylo  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.11    last year

All true

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.54  Tessylo  replied to  Kavika @3.1.6    last year

He says the same thing about all things Democrat and President Biden.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.55  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.53    last year

All what?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.56  Tessylo  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.55    last year

The ones I was referring to in your comment were that BEFORE they voted for the former 'president'

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.57  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.56    last year

Huh?

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.58  bugsy  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.25    last year
It seems all you have is propaganda and sophomoric insults.  

Exactly what he complained about in his manifesto he wrote in meta yesterday.

The irony is overwhelming.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3    last year

That's a bit biased about progressives. There are people in both extremes that feel we should do nothing in Ukraine. They seem to have forgotten what men like Putin do. He is a monster, and if you give an inch, he will try to take a mile.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Sparty On  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.2    last year

I agree.   Putin really hasn’t given the world much of a choice but it wouldn’t be the first time we regretted our chosen allegiances.

USSR and Iraq come immediately to mind ... not much neat and tidy in geopolitics like this.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sparty On @3.2.1    last year

Putin feels about Ukraine the same was we feel about Kansas.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2.3  Sparty On  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.2    last year

Lol ....speak for yourself toothless jrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.2.4  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.2    last year

That's a bit biased about progressives. There are people in both extremes that feel we should do nothing in Ukraine.

I don't find isolationists on the far right to be surprising.  I find isolationists that profess to be progressive and for democracy surprising.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.5  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sparty On @3.2.3    last year
NT will continue to suffer through

We can still back Ukraine, but we must understand that he believes that Ukraine is a Russian state.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.2.6  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.5    last year

Bingo!

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.2.7  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.5    last year
but we must understand that he believes that Ukraine is a Russian state

We can't back down just because someone believes something that isn't true. It's even more imperative today amidst such global chaos to stand up against the lies and false narratives embraced by supposed 'strong men' leaders and their sycophant supporters.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.8  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.2.7    last year
We can't back down just because someone believes something

I NEVER ADVOCATED BACKING DOWN.

Give it up!

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.2.9  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.5    last year

Imo when Putin first invaded Ukraine, he saw it as the new extension of the Suwalski Gap in Poland, known also as the new Fulda Gap, where he could have as he believed rolled unopposed on into Eastern and Central Europe if he chose to. Putin was thankfully  proved very wrong by the Ukrainians although at significant cost in lives.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.2.10  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3.2.6    last year

That would be like Mexico thinking Texas was theirs. Sorry no. Putin is a bully. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.11  Tessylo  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.2.7    last year

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gifjrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.2.12  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.2.10    last year

What is not generally known is there are movements in Mexico that promote the idea of Reconquista (literally reconquest) of parts of Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, and California stating that said states should be returned to Mexico reasoning that those territories were stolen from Mexico, especially The Gadsden Purchase of Southern AZ and New Mexico under the Treaty of Gudalupe Hidalgo. Interesting reading for anyone interested in the history of the American Southwest. Said groups claim that the Southwest is culturally Mexico, thus they still belong to Mexico. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4  Vic Eldred    last year

[deleted]

Hallux
PhD Principal
4.1  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @4    last year

It got stuck to yours.

charger 383
Professor Silent
5  charger 383    last year

thread 3.1 is locked before it gets worse

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  charger 383 @5    last year

[deleted]

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1    last year

Just what did Pat do besides laugh at John's comment?

You're getting more and more paranoid and demanding every day

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.1.2  Hallux  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1.1    last year

Emojis confuse some into reading more than was there.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
5.2  Right Down the Center  replied to  charger 383 @5    last year

[deleted]

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6  bbl-1    last year

300 days late and 300 F-16s short.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  bbl-1 @6    last year

Which aircraft were you rated on?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6.1    last year

UH Hueys.  C and H models.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  bbl-1 @6.1.1    last year

I have a lot of respect for the skills that OH-58, UH-1 CH-47 and UH-60 pilots that I’ve flown with shown.  While not really knowing, I think that their skill set and skill training time is different than an F-16 pilots.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6.1.3  bbl-1  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6.1.2    last year

Enlisted.  Crew Chief.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.1.4  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  bbl-1 @6.1.3    last year

You and your contemporaries always made me feel safe.  Many thanks.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  bbl-1 @6.1.3    last year

On the Huey? I flew in one to go to the Back Range behind Eielson AFB. We needed to do some RF readings on the satellite dishes they had back there

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
6.1.6  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6.1.2    last year

USMC E and N models for me. USN  Fleet Marine Force Hospital Corpsman as medical aircrew on SAR and medevac Huey's.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.1.7  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @6.1.6    last year

Wounded were happy to see you show up.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
6.1.8  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6.1.7    last year

Just tried to do what we were trained to do to the best of our abilities.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
7  Split Personality    last year

I think the Uke's should be trained on the A10's we plan on retiring anyway

or F4 Wild Weasels for HARM deliveries.

Just a thought...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1  Sparty On  replied to  Split Personality @7    last year

Fortunately the A-10 is going nowhere in the near future.

One of the better decisions made by the DOD and Congress.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
7.1.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Sparty On @7.1    last year

The 2023 NDAA allows the AF to retire 21 of the approx 280 in service. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
7.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @7.1.1    last year

The one that Joost crashed in WG in 1997 could have been salvaged but they wrote it off and parted it out for the rest of the PANG units.

He made an "aggressive turning dive" on final approach while taking his gloves off.

Clipped a few tree tops, with his landing gear which then caught the barbed wire and a bit of the cyclone fence at the end of the runway which flipped the bird onto the runway upside down crushing the cockpit but doing little damage other than the tops of the vertical stabilizers.

He did not survive. Best pilot I ever knew.  Sad.

A-10s are virtually indestructible with multiple redundant systems.

They can fly on one engine or one wing. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @7    last year

Why get rid of the A-10? Those are awesome fighters

Snuffy
Professor Participates
7.2.1  Snuffy  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.2    last year

Technically the A10 is an attack aircraft, not a fighter.  It's really too slow for air to air combat although one did shoot down two helicopters during the Gulf War marking the first air to air victory for the A10.

The Air Force wanted to get rid of the A10's as they felt it was too slow to survive in a modern battlefield.

The A-10, originally built during the Cold War to mow down columns of Russian tanks if the Soviet Union invaded Europe, was used heavily in the wars in the Middle East and Afghanistan to provide close air support to ground troops.

But Air Force officials have said they worry the A-10 will not be able to survive the next war, which is likely to be a high-end fight against a major adversary. The A-10 is a relatively slow aircraft, which service officials fear would make it vulnerable to a nation with advanced air defenses such as China or Russia. The Warthog is also aging, with the average plane about 40 years old.

“The A-10 is a great platform for a [permissive] environment,” Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. CQ Brown told lawmakers in April. “I don’t see very many [permissive] environments that we’re going to roll into in the future.”

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2022/06/16/a-10-retirements-more-air-force-f-35s-in-senate-defense-policy-bill/#:~:text=The%20A%2D10%20is%20a,plane%20about%2040%20years%20old .

Problem as I see it is they really don't have an airframe that can replace the A10 in it's ground attack mode.  The Air Force will try with the F16 as well as the F35 but it will take a war to determine really how effective those platforms can be in a ground attack setting.  Not something that anybody is really eager to get into.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Snuffy @7.2.1    last year

attack....fighter....it's a plane and a deadly plane...or used to be

We had a group of them when I was stationed in Alaska. I witnessed their strafing and bombing capabilities. Yes, they are slow and they do fly low. But I always liked them

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
7.2.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.2.2    last year

Remember a old saying about "Fighter pilots make movies while bomber/attack pilots make history."

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @7.2.3    last year

I agree with that. You don't read much about fighter pilots and their aircraft but we've heard a lot about the Enola Gay and the B17s (?) that flew over Germany in WWII

Snuffy
Professor Participates
7.2.5  Snuffy  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.2.2    last year

I loved the A10.  When I was stationed at Myrtle Beach AFB  (yeah, yeah,  I know.  Tough duty) we were in the process of phasing out the A7 which was replaced by the A10.  Hell of an aircraft for it's mission.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
7.3  Snuffy  replied to  Split Personality @7    last year
F4 Wild Weasels for HARM deliveries.

The F4's were all retired in 1996.  

Wild Weasel is a code name given by the United States Air Force (USAF) to an aircraft of any type equipped with anti-radiation missiles and tasked with the suppression of enemy air defenses (SEAD): destroying the radar and surface-to-air missile (SAM) installations of enemy air defense systems . [1] [2] The task of a Wild Weasel aircraft is to bait enemy anti-aircraft defenses into targeting it with their radars, whereupon the radar waves are traced back to their source, allowing the Weasel or its teammates to precisely target it for destruction.

Currently the Wild Weasel program is being run on the F16 airframe.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
7.3.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Snuffy @7.3    last year

Did you forget the EA-18 Growler? They provide ECM jamming coverage for all three services. Growler puts the F-16 Wild Weasel platform to shame.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
7.3.2  Snuffy  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @7.3.1    last year

Nope didn't forget about it, that was the Navy version.  But correct me if I'm wrong, the Growler mission was more ECM and electronics warfare where as the Wild Weasel mission was to eliminate enemy radar stations and missile platforms by spoofing the stations to light up the aircraft so that the aircraft would shoot a HARMs missile back at it to destroy it.

And the question I responded to was with regards to providing the F4 Wild Weasels to Ukraine which would be impossible as the F4's were all retired back in 96.  The aircraft that has replaced the F4 in the Wild Weasel mission is the F16 platform.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
7.3.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Snuffy @7.3.2    last year

Understood. But Growlers still rock!

Just went back and checked and Growler's are currently adept at both ECM/EW and SEAD functions and in many cases work in conjunction with F-16 "Wild Weasel" platforms.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
7.3.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @7.3.3    last year

Turns out there is even a USAF squadron flying the EA-18 Growler's out of Whidbey Island. This is as a result of the USAF losing it's primary ECM/EW platform when the EF-111 Raven's were retired in the mid 90's. The same USAF squadron flew EA-6B Prowler's until they were retired and then switched to the Growler.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
7.3.5  Snuffy  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @7.3.4    last year

Well,  thanks.  Learned something new today, I didn't know that before.  

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
8  Drinker of the Wry    last year

A-10's, from a ground pounder's perspective, no finer AF aircraft.

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1  Kavika   replied to  Drinker of the Wry @8    last year

Great aircraft but I favor the AC 130 AKA ''Spooky or Puff the Magic Dragon''.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
9  Drinker of the Wry    last year

From a special ops perspective, you are absolutely right.