╌>

Mike Pence says history will hold Trump 'accountable' for Jan. 6 riot - UPI.com

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tig  •  last year  •  140 comments

By:   UPI

Mike Pence says history will hold Trump 'accountable' for Jan. 6 riot - UPI.com
Former Vice President Mike Pence said history will hold Donald Trump "accountable" for his role in the riot at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, in his starkest remarks yet on the former president.

Pence himself speaking publicly.   It is about time he weigh in on this.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Former Vice President Mike Pence said history will hold Donald Trump "accountable" for his role in the riot at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, in his starkest remarks yet on the former president.

"President Trump was wrong. I had no right to overturn the election and his reckless words endangered my family and everyone at the Capitol that day, and I know that history will hold Donald Trump accountable," Pence said.

Pence made his remarks at a dinner for the Gridiron Club in Washington, D.C., before a crowd of around 600 journalists and lawmakers, according to CNN .

During his speech, Pence also appeared to take aim at embattled Fox News host Tucker Carlson for his characterization of that day's events on his nightly talk show, Deadline reported .  Carlson, who was not mentioned by name in Pence's speech, has previously referred to the rioters as "sightseers."

"I was there at the Capitol, and let me assure you it was not, as some would have us believe, a matter of tourists peacefully enjoying our Capitol," Pence said in his speech.  "Tourists don't injure 140 police officers by sightseeing. Tourists don't break down doors to get to the Speaker of the House. Or voice threats against public officials."  Pence added that Americans "have a right to know" about what took place at the U.S. Capitol that day and said he expects journalists "to continue to do their jobs."  "Make no mistake about it -- what happened that day was a disgrace and it mocks decency to portray it in any other way," Pence said.

Pence added that Trump was wrong in his assertion that the vice president, who acts as the presiding officer of the U.S. Senate, had the ability to "overturn the election."  "His reckless words endangered my family and everyone at the Capitol that day," Pence said. "And I know that history will hold Donald Trump accountable."

However, Pence's comments come after his lawyers last week filed a motion asking a federal judge to block a grand jury subpoena requiring his testimony related to the Jan. 6 riot.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1  seeder  TᵢG    last year
Pence added that Trump was wrong in his assertion that the vice president, who acts as the presiding officer of the U.S. Senate, had the ability to "overturn the election." 

One of many wrongdoings by Trump.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2  sandy-2021492    last year

The continued defense of Trump's actions in the face of statements against him from his own administration is mindboggling.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    last year
History Will Hold Trump 'Accountable' For Jan. 6 Riot

Not exactly a news flash. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     last year

Sadly, there are many, some right here on NT that play the fool's game of it wasn't a big deal.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Kavika @4    last year

The actions and inaction of Trump post his election loss has played out in front of our eyes.   Watching people deny / obfuscate the undeniable illustrates the degree to which uber-partisanship rots the mind.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  TᵢG @4.1    last year

Don't you know, one poster is saying, that what we saw with our own eyes - 'is what we have been led to believe'?

Unreal

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.2  JBB  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.1    last year

Yes, but overall people are ridiculing Fox and Tucker Carlson's stunt. There was no "editing" involved in what we all saw live on television January 6th. Trump's violent gop of MAGA traitors forced the US Congress to abandon their Constitutional duties and flee for their lives into underground bunkers. It was a planned organized criminal attempt to subvert the election and illegally keep Trump in power. History will blame Trump. Pence at least got that part right!

original

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.1    last year

It was seen around the world.  Nobody outside of the USA thought of those bringing a makeshift gallows and smashing the windows to get in and racing through the halls were just sightseers.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.3    last year

TBH, I doubt that anybody inside the US thought that, either.  Those who say so are being disingenuous.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.1.5  Ozzwald  replied to  JBB @4.1.2    last year
Yes, but overall people are ridiculing Fox and Tucker Carlson's stunt.

Which is precisely why Carlson hasn't released more video clips of Jan. 6th.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Kavika @4    last year

Why is this still such a fucking at this late point in time. Biden was duly elected and is actively engaged in making America a third world nation.

The general public pretty much doesn't give a shit, since their greater concerns are figuring out how to get their bills paid thanks to Bidenflation, and keep their kids from being gender indoctrinated at school. Could it just be partisan politics trying keep this sorry story alive?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.1  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Greg Jones @4.2    last year

What Trump did after his election loss is a historic stain on our nation and a horrible precedent.   He needs to be held accountable.   His bad example has already inspired others to engage in absurd levels of lying, cheating and election denial.   The level of coercion, cheating and lying by a sitting PotUS trying literally to steal an election cannot be something we simply let pass.

The R uber-partisans are the ones who are wrong by attempting to excuse Trump and "move on".

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.2.2  Ronin2  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.1    last year

Completely ignoring what Democrats have done after election losses- especially after 2016.

But continue to ignore reality.

You saddled us with Brandon the Human Fuck Up Machine (who is guilty of doing the very things the left accuses Trump of); the most partisan AG/DOJ ever; an FBI that is an extension of the Democrat Party; and a weaponized IRS.

"But Trruuummmmppppp!!!!!!" It gets more fucking pathetic every damn day. But keep leading the charge; and you might get rewarded with Trump in 2024.

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.3  CB  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.1    last year

Moreover, Trump-the political freak-is setting himself up to run for the high office. . . wait for it. . . with the support of the republican party. We are right to discuss all the participants in the republican never-ending story (Trump/PENCE Edition).

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.2.4  Split Personality  replied to  Greg Jones @4.2    last year
Why is this still such a fucking (?) at this late point in time.

Do you need to buy a noun?  Regardless, the previous POTUS acted like and sounded like a third word dictator especially with this stolen election nonsense ad nauseum.

Biden was duly elected

Thank you for acknowledging that.

and is actively engaged in making America a third world nation.

That comment is just partisan dumbfuckery, shame on you.

The general public pretty much doesn't give a shit, since their greater concerns are figuring out how to get their bills paid

True

thanks to Bidenflation,

False, keeping my bills paid has been a full time job since the 1960s,

just as I suspect it is for 99.9% of all American families.

and keep their kids from being gender indoctrinated at school.

Pure partisan dumbfuckerist comment.  This isn't the ME or Russia.  We accept everyone and

everyone has the same rights, right? Otherwise the Constitution is meaningless. right?

Could it just be partisan politics trying keep this sorry story alive?

No it's called 24/7/365 mindnumbing reporting of every stupid thing that anyone does.

If they didn't report it,

would you be crying that it's a conspiracy or a cover up because "they" are ignoring

"conservative news"?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.2.5  Split Personality  replied to  Ronin2 @4.2.2    last year
Completely ignoring what Democrats have done after election losses- especially after 2016.

Like exercising their legal avenues and accepting the results?  Like Hillary actually conceded to the Donald?

But continue to ignore reality.

Like the reality that Trump never conceded and there are millions of Americans stupid enough to believe that the Donald is still secretly in charge?

You saddled us with Brandon the Human Fuck Up Machine

We the people had an election and Biden won by 8million votes and 306 to 232 Electorally.

(who is guilty of doing the very things the left accuses Trump of)

possibly but perhaps you can enumerate instead of using such a broad brush.

; the most partisan AG/DOJ ever; an FBI that is an extension of the Democrat Party; and a weaponized IRS.

After the clown show that Trump picked, like Sessions, Whitaker, Barr, Rosen and Wilkinson?

"But Trruuummmmppppp!!!!!!" It gets more fucking pathetic every damn day.

and yet here you are every day with the same pathetic complaints, ironic/s

But keep leading the charge; and you might get rewarded with Trump in 2024.

That's just the way the American cookie rolls.  Get over it.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.6  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Ronin2 @4.2.2    last year

Do you understand that articles (and comments) do not attempt to discuss everything at once.   We carve out things called topics.   Here, the topic is Pence and Jan 6th.   My focus (in my comment) was on Jan 6th ... which is a result of Trump's post election loss.   So get a clue about the concept of one topic at a time and the nature of forums.

Your posts read as emotional and irrational.   They do a great job of making Trump supporters look ridiculous, erratic, and unhinged.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ronin2 @4.2.2    last year

Your comment indicates you should apply for a job at SNL or Comedy Central, you have a talent perhaps not before recognized.  This is a compliment, not an insult. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.8  Trout Giggles  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.2.7    last year
Your comment indicates you should apply for a job at SNL or Comedy Central,

Shouldn't one be funny or witty before applying for a job with those 2 places?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.9  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.8    last year

My thoughts exactly -  it requires having a sense of humor and having wit - which no RWNJ on NT or anywhere meets those standards.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2.10  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.8    last year

Well, maybe I'm the one whose attempt at humour failed.  Ronin2 is not such a bad guy so I didn't want my comment to be insulting. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.11  Trout Giggles  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.2.10    last year

No, you didn't fail

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.12  Tessylo  replied to  Ronin2 @4.2.2    last year

Your continued defense of the indefensible is what's so fucking pathetic.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.13  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.2.10    last year

You're never insulting Buzz.  I agree to disagree with your feelings on a certain poster.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2.14  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tessylo @4.2.13    last year
"You're never insulting Buzz."

Thank you Tess.  Contrary to the biased and infantile complaints that the mods favour me, the reason I rarely earn penalty points is because I'm careful to not contravene the CoC and ToS.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.2.15  MrFrost  replied to  Ronin2 @4.2.2    last year

"But Trruuummmmppppp!!!!!!" It gets more fucking pathetic every damn day. But keep leading the charge; and you might get rewarded with Trump in 2024.

Was kinda thinking of Hunter Biden this time around...

TOM PA
Freshman Silent
5  TOM PA    last year

Some thoughts on Mr. Pence;  

1- As a citizen he is duty  bound to honor a legal subpoena.  

2- As an avowed Christian it is his God mandated responsibility to reveal the truth.  

With this in mind I would like to know who and how many people pressured him to help '45' stay in office.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  TOM PA @5    last year

To his credit, he did not play along.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  TᵢG @5.1    last year

He didn't.  After consulting with Dan Quayle.

TOM PA
Freshman Silent
5.1.2  TOM PA  replied to  TᵢG @5.1    last year

Yes.  But he consulted with and was pressured up to the "last minute."

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  TOM PA @5.1.2    last year

So even more to Pence's credit.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.4  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  TOM PA @5.1.2    last year

By Trump.   I see this as Trump being wrong and Pence doing what he could to counter Trump.   Do you not see it that way?

TOM PA
Freshman Silent
5.1.5  TOM PA  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.3    last year

It took a consult with Dan Quale and a text from a retired federal judge to convince him not to interfere.  

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  TOM PA @5.1.5    last year

Oh my, he sought the opinion of others that he respected - outrageous.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.7  Tessylo  replied to  TOM PA @5.1.2    last year

Why did he wait until like you said until the last minute and like sandy said after consulting with dan quayle?

It should have been a no brainer

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.8  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.7    last year

My guess is that Pence was doing his best to remain the loyal V.P. that he had been.   I suspect he knew immediately that what Trump was asking was clearly wrong but had to work through the political angles to find the best resolution to the dilemma.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.1.9  sandy-2021492  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.8    last year

I guess, to me, there was no dilemma.  Pence had no real reason not to immediately refuse his cooperation in Trump's illegal scheme.  I get the political angle, but his wavering really only served to sink him in the opinion of honest people, including honest conservatives.  The waffling achieved nothing for him politically, and made him look weak and lacking in integrity.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.10  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  sandy-2021492 @5.1.9    last year

If I were Pence the decision would have been immediate.   But, then again, I cannot even imagine myself as a loyal V.P. to Trump.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.1.11  sandy-2021492  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.10    last year

Of course.  You're smart and honest.

I guess what I'm getting at is, while Pence and his family should never have been in danger for doing what's right, I'm not willing to give Pence much credit at all for doing what's right only after appearing to try to find ways to do what was wrong.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.12  Tessylo  replied to  sandy-2021492 @5.1.11    last year

I'm with you Sandy on all counts (which includes Tig being smart and honest).

I don't give Pence much credit myself for doing what shouldn't have taken consulting anyone else or any delay in that decision.  It's a no brainer IMHO.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.13  Tessylo  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.8    last year

I respect you and appreciate you and your thoughts/opinions/truth/facts but I don't give him any credit for doing what should have been done and it should have been immediately and without consulting someone else.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.14  Tessylo  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.6    last year

It should have been immediate, and he shouldn't have had to consult anyone.  

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.15  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.14    last year

Had it been immediate, could Trump have found a way to replace him with someone more accommodating?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.1.16  sandy-2021492  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.15    last year

How?  VP is an elected position, not an appointed one.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.17  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  sandy-2021492 @5.1.16    last year

VP Agnew resigned about a year before Nixon resigned.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.18  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.15    last year

Nope.   Not according to the CotUS.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.1.19  sandy-2021492  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.17    last year

He chose to resign.  He was not forced to resign, and neither could Pence have been.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.20  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  sandy-2021492 @5.1.19    last year

Perhaps, I'm glad that we didn't have to find out.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.21  Tessylo  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.20    last year

Perhaps?  No.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.22  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  sandy-2021492 @5.1.11    last year

I guess Pence was in that "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.  I believe that Colin Powell was in that situation over WMD.  In my opinion, he would have made a better POTUS than anyone since then.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.1.23  sandy-2021492  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.22    last year
I guess Pence was in that "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. 

Well, considering the ticket he chose to join, I can't drum up much sympathy.  He knew what Trump was.

I could have voted for Colin Powell.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.24  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.21    last year
No.

You certainly know more than I of what Trump was and wasn't capable of.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.25  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  sandy-2021492 @5.1.23    last year

Yes, he was a Republican, but he voted for Obama.  Do we know who he voted for when Trump was a candidate?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.26  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @5.1.23    last year

me, too

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.27  Tessylo  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.15    last year

That makes no sense.  

TOM PA
Freshman Silent
5.1.28  TOM PA  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.6    last year

And who else did he talk with saying he could do otherwise?  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.29  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  TOM PA @5.1.28    last year

I do not see the problem here.   If I were Pence, I would immediately dismiss the idea of tabling certified votes.   Then, given the extremely political, world-level consequences, I would seek legal and political advice to ensure I was fully aware of the legal/constitutional issues and was clear on how to best deal with the political factors.

Seeking advice seems like a very reasonable step.

TOM PA
Freshman Silent
5.1.30  TOM PA  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.29    last year

With the revelations that have come out, from "fake electors" to wanting to say there were 'irregularities' in GA. to people reportedly asking for pardons, I for one, would like to know how far this went.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.31  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  TOM PA @5.1.30    last year

I agree, but I think we must not be communicating.   I was referring to Pence getting advice before Jan 6th.

CB
Professor Principal
5.1.32  CB  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.29    last year

It is a reasonable step. And it lends credibility to Pence in those instances where he requested/received advice (support) for his decision to move forward as acting president of the senate certifying the results. As we have all been forced to learn (and endure) going up against a president is not a small act! Pence would have been politically 'dead' in D.C. and among republicans had he not had his supporting opinions to back him up!

President Donald Trump is the pits. But, a dangerous man to have against you in republican political circles. Because Trump is unrelinquishing once he is crossed-rightly or wrongly.

CB
Professor Principal
5.1.33  CB  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.25    last year

In 2016, Colin Powell condemned Donald Trump and announced he would vote for Hillary Clinton. In 2020, Powell did likewise with announcing his candidate choice of Joe Biden.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.34  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.25    last year

Oh, I thought sandy meant Colin Powell, but I guess she meant Pence so my comment 5.1:25 is erroneous. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.35  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  CB @5.1.33    last year

Thanks, CB.  That makes my opinion of him even stronger - America missed the boat by his not running and being elected. 

CB
Professor Principal
5.1.36  CB  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.35    last year

The 'issue' for Mr. Powell was he knew what Washington, D.C. is sadly. (This is my opinion of what I got from the man.) He wanted to be a good man and a good general-not in any particular order. "D.C." hurt his reputation with the Iraq "Yellow-Cake" fiasco:

[Colin Powell] will also be remembered for crafting the Powell military doctrine , in the run-up to the first war with Iraq, in 1991; it was shaped by the searing memories of his two tours in Vietnam. He warned that the United States should only commit troops to a conflict if it had achievable goals, sufficient firepower, public support, and an exit strategy.

Thirteen years later, he famously noted, “You break it, you own it,” about toppling Saddam Hussein.

He had misgivings about that second Iraq war, but, as my colleague Dexter Filkins noted , he ultimately became the public front man for the Bush Administration’s justification for it at the United Nations. The case was based on phony intelligence and bad judgment, some but not enough of which Powell had questioned during intense briefings at the C.I.A. It was, as he subsequently acknowledged, a permanent stain—a defining flaw—in his life story. The war dragged on for eight years.

Nearly five thousand Americans were killed , and an estimated four hundred thousand Iraqis died between the 2003 invasion and the U.S. withdrawal, in 2011. The Iraq War is now widely viewed as the greatest foreign-policy debacle in American history.

For those of us who knew him, however, the elegant soldier-statesman may be most remembered for his decent humanity and humor.

Mr. Powell loved the Republican Party; loved D.C. and loved those presidents under whom he developed, grew up, prospered, and eventually some of them would give him a permanent stain on his life's record over Iraq.

It is my humble opinion, only an opinion, that Mr. Powell would not have wanted to 'wage political war' over what happened at the United Nations the day he submitted photos into the international record against Iraq, only to have it turn out as error.  There was no "yellow cake" ever found in Iraq. People, soldiers were killed, Americans were killed and General Powell was the "front" man for the administration to get our troops over there by using his credibility. He did not want to undertake the job of becoming president.

TOM PA
Freshman Silent
5.1.37  TOM PA  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.31    last year

We are communicating T,G.  Two of my items happened before Jan.6.  Also, something I just remembered.  There is an individual that referees the rules that told Mr. Pence that he did not have the authority to do what was being asked of him. 

CB
Professor Principal
6  CB    last year

Pence is basically suggesting somebody else should bring down Trump, because he is not going to speak out. Pence wants MAGAn votes and so he does not want voter ire and backlash. Although, someone as 'starched' as Pence should consciously be able to see how 2 dimensional he comes off in a 3-d world. Everything about Mike Pence is old and musty. Maybe, even stale.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  CB @6    last year

Pence is of course trying to serve multiple masters.   He has no chance of being elected.   What he should do is give up on the bid for the presidency and then be free to fully cooperate with investigations.

That said, are you not impressed with his recent public statement?   Going against Trump hurts him politically.

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.1  CB  replied to  TᵢG @6.1    last year

Pence has no choice, but to speak out, tell the truth and shame the 'Devil,' or straddle the fence by using "scented words" and weasel words to keep himself hopefully relevant to Trump supporters/voters. BTW, Pence needs Trump's voters like a deer pants for a stream of water, and in his heart, he knows those MAGAns are going to demand something as strange of him as they do of Trump.

Impressed by Pence? The above paragraph connotes I am not impressed. The man is 'weak-toast' that has not become aware that people want justice, fairness, goodness across the board-not just for conservatives, and Pence - help him - is paling around with MAGA conservatives, people who knowingly and willingly want to see liberals go without love, joy, and peace in this world. I see Pence as unimpressive and wanting to join MAGAns in politically, emotionally, and financially crippling people who are liberal!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.2  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  CB @6.1.1    last year
Pence has no choice, but to speak out, tell the truth and shame the 'Devil,' or straddle the fence by using "scented words" and w

Pence could have avoided further alienating MAGA voters by refusing to opine on Trump.   He chose to opine.

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.3  CB  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.2    last year

And yet he needed something from Trump; SEPARATION.  Without making a distinction, without opening a breach, people would posit why Pence when we have Trump?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.1.4  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @6.1.1    last year
Pence has no choice, but to speak out, tell the truth and shame the 'Devil,' or straddle the fence by using "scented words" and weasel words to keep himself hopefully relevant to Trump supporters/voters. BTW, Pence needs Trump's voters like a deer pants for a stream of water, and in his heart, he knows those MAGAns are going to demand something as strange of him as they do of Trump.

Very descriptive language, but of what?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.5  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  CB @6.1.3    last year

Those who would vote for Trump would almost certainly never vote for Pence.  Those who would NOT vote for Trump would surely NOT vote for Pence.   It does not really matter what Pence says at this point.   He has alienated MAGA voters by doing the right thing and alienated ~MAGA voters by being Trump's faithful V.P.   As I noted, Pence has no chance at winning the nomination. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.1.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.5    last year

Agree.  Repubs used to like stable, disciplined leaders, now they want fighters and that's not Pence.  After 6 Jan, his favorables dropped among Trump supporters, but his policies were aligned with Trump so he doesn't do well with the anyone but Trump crowd either.  I think he could do the Party a favor and attack Trump directly on 6 Jan and current behavior.  It won't win him the office, but if he could convince many that Trump is just a lying charlatan he would earn my respect.

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.7  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6.1.4    last year

Don't worry about it, Drinker 'ry!

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.8  CB  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.5    last year

And yet; Pence is posturing and doing all the 'steps' ahead of running for higher office, and not for a repeat of the VP position! Moreover, definitely not likely a VP position under Trump.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.1.9  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @6.1.7    last year

What, me worry.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.1.10  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @6.1.8    last year

definitely not likely a VP position under Trump.

Definitely not or not likely?  Either way, some excellent political analysis, CB.

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.11  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6.1.9    last year

(worry) Warts  and all!

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.12  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6.1.10    last year

Why thank you, Drinker 'ry! Thank you very much!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.13  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  CB @6.1.8    last year

I expect him to run.

JBB
Professor Principal
6.1.14  JBB  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.13    last year

My money is on Jeb Bush saving the gop.

Trump as nominee is a gift to Democrats!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.15  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  JBB @6.1.14    last year

I doubt Jeb would be able to gain sufficient backers nowadays.   Same with Romney.

Trump as nominee is indeed a gift to the Ds;   they could win the presidency with almost anyone.  Funny how so many Rs seem unable to grasp that concept.

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.16  CB  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.13    last year

Pence will be 'crushed,' when Trump starts talking about how his VP choked on January 6, 2021. Pence, the candidate, will not have a moment's peace after his announcement from his former political side-kick.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.1.17  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @6.1.16    last year
when Trump starts talking about how his VP choked on January 6, 2021.

Starts talking?  Where have you been for the last 26 months?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.18  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  CB @6.1.16    last year

Pence is already persona-non-Grata for the MAGA crowd and that is the only crowd that will listen to Trump.   Trump need not even mention Pence for him to be rejected by that crowd.   The ~MAGA aka rational R voters will respect Pence for standing his ground but will have lukewarm general feelings given he was the V.P. for Trump.

In short, Pence has no chance for the nomination.

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.19  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6.1.17    last year

Don't waste more of your time.

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.20  CB  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.18    last year

Okay.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.1.21  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @6.1.19    last year

Amusement is never a waste of time, it’s recreation.

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.22  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6.1.21    last year

You've lost your f-ing amusement. "Game-boy."

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.1.23  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @6.1.22    last year

How so?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.24  Tessylo  replied to  TᵢG @6.1    last year

I'm not impressed at all with Pence, then or now.  Too much, too little, too late on his end as far as I'm concerned.

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1.25  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.24    last year

he's now the current example of why thumpers have no business being in gov't service.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.1.26  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @6.1.25    last year

Exactly, we need a new version of McCarthyism and the federal loyalty program.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.27  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @6.1.25    last year
he's now the current example of why thumpers have no business being in gov't service.

A truly ignorant comment.

He has just as much right to serve in government as Godless pukes do.

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1.28  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.27    last year

watching the continuing nosedive like decline of the white xtian majority is fucking hilarious...

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
6.1.29  afrayedknot  replied to  devangelical @6.1.28    last year

“…decline of the white xtian majority…”

….good riddance to bad rubbish. 

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
6.1.30  afrayedknot  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6.1.26    last year

“…we need a new version of McCarthyism”…

….the last thing we need, but where the committee’s under the House are headed. Retribution vs. meaningful legislation. No winners, no moving forward, no changes in the partisan morass. We are still knee deep in the swamp. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.31  Trout Giggles  replied to  afrayedknot @6.1.30    last year
Retribution vs. meaningful legislation.

That's no way to run a railroad

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.32  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @6.1.28    last year

gee does that mean folks will finally stop bitching about people of faith?

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
6.1.34  afrayedknot  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.32    last year

“…does that mean folks will finally stop bitching about people of faith?”

Only until ‘people of faith’, of whatever faith, cease demanding that their faith is the basis of passing legislation, the basis of banning books, or the basis of any, repeat any, societal implementation of laws or regulations or restrictions based on that faith. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.35  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @6.1.28    last year
watching the continuing nosedive like decline of the white xtian majority is fucking hilarious...

If it was declining as much as you would like it to, we wouldn't be having this talk.

I wonder why so many whites are so self-loathing?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.36  Texan1211  replied to  afrayedknot @6.1.34    last year

Wah, wah, wah.

People who believe in God tried to pass legislation, wah, wah, wah.

Get a grip, religion is a part of many politician's lives--like Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1.37  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.36    last year
People who believe in God tried to pass legislation, wah, wah, wah.

That of course misrepresents afrayedknot's post.

He clearly was stating that religious beliefs should not be turned into law and oppressive actions in society.

There are countless people who believe in a god and are able to act without imposing their beliefs on others.

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.38  CB  replied to  TᵢG @6.1.37    last year

Case in point. I am actually at odds with my faith because of white Christian evangelical faithlessness (lack of trust in God to get "it" done on God's timetable not conservatives' timetable). White Christian evangelicals collectively are hindering the lives and demonizing good people who are simply not a part of their worldview!

And women, poor girls and women, are beset by these 'fiendish' people who are not content to end abortion in doctors health facilities, but are now asking a judge to assist them in banning abortion medications nationwide!  Girls and women should be universally outraged and demonstrating so!

Where is the freedom and liberty in any of this? It's all 'do as I say' morality and its unacceptable.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @6    last year
Pence is basically suggesting somebody else should bring down Trump, because he is not going to speak out.

Isn't that what he did at the Gridiron dinner?

Pence wants MAGAn votes and so he does not want voter ire and backlash.

Yes, he sees the reality of the 2024 presidential primary.

Everything about Mike Pence is old and musty. Maybe, even stale.

You wish he was a vibrant as Trump?

CB
Professor Principal
6.2.1  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6.2    last year

What Trump orchestrated as a sitting president by 'warring' with the public and against the people's house and government overall deserves a proportionally stronger rebuke and a sit down with officials to get to the bottom of what the former president's role was in the events leading up to and occurring on January 6, 2021. Pence is not fully committed to the task.

Trump is stale too. Thus, as long as Pence keeps a large chunk of his political aspirations attached to Trump, he and Trump shall continue to translate as old and musty 'together.'

devangelical
Professor Principal
7  devangelical    last year

I find it disturbing that pence sought prior advice about what his role as VP should be on the J6 constitutional mandate of certification, it seems cut and dry. fortunately for him and all americans, after he was advised of the far reaching complications for both and then somewhat reluctantly performed the one single act of semi-redemption of his lackluster political career. also disturbing is his prior complicity thru inaction in knowledge trump's illegal activities during his presidency, and afterwards by not cooperating with the house investigation, yet willing to profit by disclosing information in his book. luckily his 2024 candidacy is done before it gets started. he's proven he's an incompetent leader and problematic decision maker. it's hilarious that super xtian will now be forced to tell the truth or pay the price, and then face the media attacks from both sides after the truth is known. I'm confident jack smith will put pence thru the legal wringer, and eliminate any chance of a pence white house. trump was actually right about pence, he's a wimp. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  devangelical @7    last year
I find it disturbing that pence sought prior advice about what his role as VP should be on the J6 constitutional mandate of certification,

He might have done that to make a strong case back to Trump as to why he will not comply.

I agree with most of your characterizations of Pence.   He lacks many of the factors that I personally would want to see in a PotUS.

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.1.1  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @7.1    last year

it's very amusing to me that rwnj thumpers have such a problem discerning between right and wrong.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
7.1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  TᵢG @7.1    last year

Who cares what Pence says. He has no chance at running for president.

This whole article is just stale and boring partisan political non news.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.3  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Greg Jones @7.1.2    last year
Who cares what Pence says. He has no chance at running for president.

Correct, he has no chance to win the nomination.

You should care that Pence is opining on this important matter.

This whole article is just stale and boring non news.

Yeah, yeah ... you do not like the damage this does to Trump so of course "stale and boring".   Nobody asked you to opine on this seed and you are free to leave this stale, boring discussion.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
7.1.4  Split Personality  replied to  Greg Jones @7.1.2    last year

March 12th is stale?

Talking about Pence is partisan or non news?

Boring to you maybe, but then why comment Greg?  That is not logical.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.3    last year

Good suggestion.  It amused me that a member who in all his time here has posted only one seed or article himself, and that was one bitching about the moderation, would even have the nerve to criticize a seed or article posted by another. 

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
7.1.6  al Jizzerror  replied to  Greg Jones @7.1.2    last year
This whole article is just stale and boring

And here you are anyway.

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.1.7  devangelical  replied to  al Jizzerror @7.1.6    last year

... repeating nonsensical rwnj bullshit.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
7.1.8  Vic Eldred  replied to  Greg Jones @7.1.2    last year
Who cares what Pence says.

I do. He just did Ron DeSantis a big favor. Let him take on Trump and DeSantis can avoid the in fighting.

It's called a hate fest. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1.9  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @7.1.8    last year
DeSantis can avoid the in fighting.

LOL. Trump is going to attack DeSantis' wife. Is he a man or a mouse? 

The idea that DeSantis can stay out of combat with trump is silly. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
7.1.10  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.9    last year
is silly. 

The only thing that is silly is that an idiot hiding in his cellar got 80 million votes.

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.1.11  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @7.1.10    last year

2+ years behind in US news and 50+ years behind in US culture...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.12  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @7.1.8    last year

The hate fest would be on your 'articles' vic.

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.1.13  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @7.1.12    last year

maga red hat = hat red = hatred

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.14  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @7.1.13    last year
maga red hat = hat red = hatred

With logic like that it is easy to see why Biden can't fix problems!

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.1.15  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1.14    last year

biden's DOJ is about to fix a lot of problems for republicans, and our country.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.16  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @7.1.15    last year
biden's DOJ is about to fix a lot of problems for republicans, and our country.

OMG, that there is FUNNY!!

The Biden JD fix something?

You are a hoot!

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
8  Drinker of the Wry    last year

[deleted]

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9  Trout Giggles    last year
 However, Pence's comments come after his lawyers last week filed a motion asking a federal judge to block a grand jury subpoena requiring his testimony related to the Jan. 6 riot.

This struck me as more waffling or coming off as weak. He makes his comments after he asks to be excused from a subpoena. Is he about the the unvarnished truth or is trying to save face with the MAGA crowd?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.1  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @9    last year

Thanks for the reminder - why is he/did he defy the subpoena?  WTF does he have to hide?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
9.1.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @9.1    last year
Thanks for the reminder - why is he/did he defy the subpoena? 

Can the House subpoena a member of the Senate.  How does Executive privalage factor in?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @9.1.1    last year

Why the fuck are you asking me?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
9.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @9.1.2    last year

[Deleted]

devangelical
Professor Principal
9.1.4  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @9.1.2    last year

LOL

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.2  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Trout Giggles @9    last year

Well whatever he is thinking, it is not going to work.   He will not be the R nominee.    He might as well testify and help clear the air.

devangelical
Professor Principal
9.2.1  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @9.2    last year

VP Q-tip had plenty of opportunities to get out in front of multiple trump scandals and whiffed it. all super thumper has done is laid bare what a complete hypocrite he is. I guess party loyalty trumps his faith. it sure would be nice if rwnj thumpers would produce a list of exemptions to their forgiveness dogma.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.2.2  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  devangelical @9.2.1    last year
I guess party loyalty trumps his faith.

We see on a daily basis how party loyalty can overcome almost anything ... including rational thought and integrity.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.2.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TᵢG @9.2.2    last year

I believe that party loyalty is leading to the downfall of American democracy - when a party is divided between those who are loyal to whatever they think will give them power and those who have integrity - it's game over for that party.  Where were those Republicans who prevented Trump from paying the price when he was impeached twice?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.2.4  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9.2.3    last year

Indeed.   When we see people offer words that are beyond stupidity and with no apparent shame as long as they represent their party, that illustrates the power political parties (inexplicably) have over at least tens of millions of people.

CB
Professor Principal
10  CB    last year

What's WRONG with this assertion by VP Pence?  It is the absurdity of him pointing to some distant citizens' take on his President. It is Pence stating that the buck stops with history; he will hold his hands clasped in his lap and keep his lips pursed about a man who endangered his family and himself.

What kind of man is this—really?

History will not be kind to Michael Pence, as it points to all the moments in time when Pence could have handled the people's business and taken his lumps politically in stride, over allowing Donald Trump a renewed opportunity to replay recent history probably with considerably more harm/damage/encroachment on this state/union and its constitution. And that Pence history, will be set and stored in place by Vice-President Pence as he writes his own poor accountability into the 'record'!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
11  Trout Giggles    last year

I watched a great documentary on HBO Max last night called :Four Hours at the Capitol. It was informative.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
12  Tacos!    last year

The whole party should be held accountable for supporting that lunatic.