╌>

If This Is 'Christian Nationalism,' Sign Me Up!

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  vic-eldred  •  3 months ago  •  104 comments

By:   David Harsanyi (The Federalist)

If This Is 'Christian Nationalism,' Sign Me Up!
Even though I don't believe my rights were handed down by a superbeing, I act like they are. It's for the best.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The other day, Politico writer Heidi Przybyla appeared on MSNBC's "All In with Chris Hayes" to talk about the hysteria de jour, "Christian nationalism." Donald Trump, she explained, has surrounded himself with an "extremist element of conservative Christians," who were misrepresenting "so-called natural law" in their attempt to roll back abortion "rights" and other leftist policy preferences. What makes "Christian nationalists" different, she went on, was that they believe "our rights as Americans, as all human beings, don't come from any earthly authority."

As numerous critics have already pointed out, "Christian nationalism" sounds identical to the case for American liberty offered in the Declaration of Independence. Then again, the idea that man has inalienable, universal rights goes back to ancient Greece, at least. The entire American project is contingent on accepting the notion that the state can't give or take our God-given freedoms. It is the best kind of "extremism."

None of this is to say there aren't Christians out there who engage in an unhealthy conflation of politics and faith or harbor theocratic ideas. It is to say that the definition of "Christian nationalism" offered by the people at Politico and MSNBC comports flawlessly with the mindset that makes the United States possible.

Conservatives often chalk up this kind of ignorance about civics to a declining education system. It's not an accident. It's true that Przybyla, a longtime leftist propagandist — and I don't mean a biased reporter; I mean a propagandist whose reporting is often transparently ludicrous — followed up her MSNBC appearance with an embarrassing clarification. But even if Przybyla were fluent in the philosophy of natural rights, one strongly suspects she, like most progressives (and other statists), would be uninterested. It's a political imperative to be uninterested.

If natural rights are truly inalienable, how can the government create a slew of new (positive) "rights" — the right to housing or abortion or health care or free birth control? And how can we limit those who "abuse" free expression, self-defense, and due process if they are up to no good? You know, as Joe Biden likes to say — when speaking about the Second Amendment, never abortion — no right "is absolute."

The most telling part of Przybyla's explanation, for example, was to concede that "natural law" had on occasion actually been used for good. When natural law is used to further "social justice" it is legitimate, but when applied to ideas the left finds objectionable (such as protecting unborn life) it becomes "Christian nationalism." It's almost as if she doesn't comprehend the idea of a neutral principle. It's the kind of thinking that impels the media to put skeptical quotation marks around terms like "religious liberty," but never around "LGBT rights" or "social justice" and so on.

It's also true that the "Christian nationalism" scare is a ginned-up partisan effort to spook non-Christian voters. And, clearly, to some secular Americans, the idea that a non-"earthly authority" can bestow rights on humans sounds nuts. As a nonbeliever myself, I've been asked by Christians many times how I can square my skepticism of the Almighty with a belief in natural rights.

My answer is simple: I choose to.

"This is the bind post-Christian America finds itself in," tweeted historian Tom Holland. "It can no longer appeal to a Creator as the author of its citizens' rights, so [he] has to pretend that these rights somehow have an inherent existence: a notion requiring no less of a leap of faith than does belief in God."

No less but no more. Just as an atheist or agnostic or irreligious secular American accepts that it's wrong to steal and murder and cheat, they can accept that man has an inherent right to speak freely and the right to defend himself, his family, and his property. History, experience, and an innate sense of the world tell me that such rights benefit individuals as well as mankind. It is rational.

The liberties borne out of thousands of years of tradition are more vital than the vagaries of democracy or the diktats of the state. That's clear to me. We still debate the extent of rights, obviously. I don't need a Ph.D. in philosophy, however, to understand that preserving life or expression are self-evident universal rights in a way that compelling taxpayers to pay for your "reproductive justice" is not.

John Locke, as far as I understand it, argued as much, though he believed that the decree of God made all of it binding. Which is why, even though I don't believe my rights were handed down by a superbeing, I act like they are. It's really the only way for the Constitution to work.

The question is: How can a contemporary leftist who treats the state as the source of all decency- a tool of compulsion that can make the world "fair" — accept that mankind has been bequeathed a set of individual liberties by God, regardless of race or class or political disposition? I'm not sure they can anymore.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    3 months ago

They hate the Constitution. It has already been violated, so what's the difference?

Thomas
Senior Guide
1.1  Thomas  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    3 months ago

Who is this "they" that you keep railing against?

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Thomas @1.1    3 months ago

xtian nationalists = first wave of the russian insurgency

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @1.1.1    3 months ago

Exactly!

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Gsquared  replied to  Thomas @1.1    3 months ago

As we well remember, their dear leader trump called for the termination of "all rules, regulations, and articles, even those found in the Constitution".  Trump's hatred of the Constitution is palpable and real, just like his hatred for all of the other institutions of American life.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    3 months ago
and his property.

There is no such thing as property rights without a government to enforce them

that may make some people sad but it's completely true

GregTx
PhD Guide
2.1  GregTx  replied to  JohnRussell @2    3 months ago

You ever been to Texas JR? I don't know very many people around here that need a government to enforce their property rights...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  GregTx @2.1    3 months ago

Let's say you build a nice house out in the middle of nowhere but it's a nice big house and you have farmland and you have some cattle or whatever

but there is no government that verifies that this land belongs to you

one day a band of marauding raiders shows up on your land and the leader of that group says "I'll give you one hour to get out of here this is my house now and my land so you just go"

without government he's not in the wrong. Without government the world is dog eat dog and you no more own that land than anyone else does

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  GregTx @2.1    3 months ago

How ridiculous!

GregTx
PhD Guide
2.1.3  GregTx  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    3 months ago
without government he's not in the wrong

No, he is.

Without government the world is dog eat dog

And with it even...

GregTx
PhD Guide
2.1.4  GregTx  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.2    3 months ago

Yes, it is ridiculous to think that your rights as a human being exist only because of government .

jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.5  TᵢG  replied to  GregTx @2.1.4    3 months ago

Every human being has their own position on what should be human rights — rights based on mere existence.

Consider the most basic right:  the right to life.   The right to live in this world is something that most people would agree on.   What effects the right to live?   When that right is violated (e.g. someone or something kills you) who determines that this is wrong?   Who, in anticipation of a potential violation of a right, might take measures to protect the right?

Rights exist because groups of people (from family up to society itself) agree on the rights and make same real. 

You may believe that you have the right to occupy any land on the planet — that everything on planet Earth is available to all human beings.   But your belief is meaningless without agreement from the groups of people who would effect or deny your perceived right.

There is no known authority other than human beings that defines human rights and acts to effect those rights.

GregTx
PhD Guide
2.1.6  GregTx  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.5    3 months ago
Every human being has their own position on what should be human rights — rights based on mere existence.

Sure, just as every human being has their own level of conviction for defending those rights.

Consider the most basic right: the right to life. The right to live in this world is something that most people would agree on. What effects the right to live? When that right is violated (e.g. someone or something kills you) who determines that this is wrong?

I call them kin and maybe a few friends.

Who, in anticipation of a potential violation of a right, might take measures to protect the right?

It all starts with the individual. 

There is no known authority other than human beings that defines human rights and acts to effect those rights.

Okay, so you take issue with the idea of God given rights? What rights do you feel like you have as a human being?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.7  TᵢG  replied to  GregTx @2.1.6    3 months ago
Okay, so you take issue with the idea of God given rights?

Until we have decent evidence that there is a sentient entity who grants rights, yes I am not persuaded by that claim

What rights do you feel like you have as a human being?

Irrelevant.   We all share some basic notions that we believe should be rights and we also have substantial disagreement.   My point was that there is no definitive set of rights but rather contextual rights established by nations, societies, cultures, ..., down to the family and the individual.

GregTx
PhD Guide
2.1.8  GregTx  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.7    3 months ago
Irrelevant

Not at all. Definitive? According to who?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.9  TᵢG  replied to  GregTx @2.1.8    3 months ago
Definitive? According to who?

Figure it out Greg.   What would be the logical source for a definitive set of human rights?

GregTx
PhD Guide
2.1.10  GregTx  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.9    3 months ago

Is there a definitive set of human rights in your opinion?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.11  TᵢG  replied to  GregTx @2.1.10    3 months ago

I see no evidence of a sentient entity that could produce the definitive set of human rights.   Thus there is no evidence that such a set exists.

Do you have evidence to offer?

GregTx
PhD Guide
2.1.12  GregTx  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.11    3 months ago

Evidence of what? Human rights? Are you saying that you don't think basic rights exist unless agreed upon by a majority?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.13  TᵢG  replied to  GregTx @2.1.12    3 months ago

Read my posts, Greg.   I no longer am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.   Your game of faux obtuseness does not interest me.

GregTx
PhD Guide
2.1.14  GregTx  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.13    3 months ago

Okay. Your game of obfuscation doesn't interest me. Have a good evening. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.2  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @2    3 months ago

"The liberties borne out of thousands of years of tradition are more vital than the vagaries of democracy or the diktats of the state." 

Even our primate cousins, the chimps, have territorial instincts. So have all civilizations and groups worldwide since the dawn of history. They had no governments to enforce their inherent right to have property and possessions. So they went into battle to protect themselves and what belongs to them

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @2.2    3 months ago

So your ideal world would be groups constantly fighting over property ownership.  -   what a paradise

Gazoo
Junior Silent
2.2.2  Gazoo  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.1    3 months ago

groups constantly fighting over property ownership.  -   what a paradise

Isn’t that what the gangs in chicago do?

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.2.3  Right Down the Center  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.1    3 months ago
So your ideal world would be groups constantly fighting over property ownership.

Look around, it seems we a re already there.

CB
Professor Principal
2.2.4  CB  replied to  Greg Jones @2.2    3 months ago

Greg, what is being shared with you is about COMMUNITY. There are rules, in community/ies set in place to aid in keeping the peace. If you want your property boundaries to be RESPECTED by the force of others. . .we establish courts, laws, officials, enforcers of laws, and surround ourselves with them. It is the respect (and fear) of community - even when remote and distant that keeps your fellow citizens in check 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @2    3 months ago
such thing as property rights without a government to enforce them

Than you believe humans have no rights the government can't take away from them? If the government gave them to you, they can take them right back and you have no reason to complain. 

Governments (at least legitimate ones) exist by the consent of the governed to protect those inalienable rights humans have. Once a government ailentates those rights, than it is not legitimate and is not owed any loyalty. 

Thomas
Senior Guide
2.3.1  Thomas  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.3    3 months ago
Th(e)n you believe humans have no rights the government can't take away from them? If the government gave them to you, they can take them right back and you have no reason to complain. 

Nice strawman. Societies exist because of a degree of buy-in from the members. Once a critical mass of members do not accept the tenets of a society the society changes in some way. This change can be gradual or rapid. Right now, the Xtian nationalists are in control (in some areas) and attempt to tip the scales backwards by removing the rights of human beings that have been granted and adjudicated. 

Governments (at least legitimate ones) exist by the consent of the governed to protect those inalienable rights humans have. Once a government ailentates those rights, than it is not legitimate and is not owed any loyalty.

Yet this is exactly what Xtian Nationalists are attempting to do.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.3.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Thomas @2.3.1    3 months ago
Nice strawman.

Do you not understand the argument? If you believe only a government can you give you rights, you have no reason to complain when they are taken away because they only exist at the government's discretion. 

ng the rights of human beings that have been granted and adjudicated

Who grants rights to human beings? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.3.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.3.2    3 months ago

if they are natural rights why would anyone or anything have to grant them it would just exist

I don't object to the concept of God-given rights I'm just saying that without government many of these rights are unenforceable that's just common sense

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.3.4  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @2.3.3    3 months ago
y are natural rights why would anyone or anything have to grant them it would just exist

Thomas  said rights have been granted to human beings.  I was curious who he thinks granted them. 

without government many of these rights are unenforceable that's just common sense

Yes, to protect those rights is the primary reason for a government's existence  and the measure of whether a government is legitimate or not. . 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.3.5  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.3.4    3 months ago

So the government is legitimate as long as it agrees with your list of rights but if it has another list of rights or doesn't agree with your list of rights then it's not legitimate ? 

Why don't women have a natural right to terminate their pregnancy ?

Thomas
Senior Guide
2.3.6  Thomas  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.3.2    3 months ago

I understand principled arguments and de facto situations. The statement, "All human beings have equal human rights," is a lofty and principled statement that has yet to be realized. There are many actual, factual, and current exceptions to this statement. 

If you believe only a government can you give you rights, you have no reason to complain when they are taken away because they only exist at the government's discretion.. 

Incorrect. Rights are sanctioned by the Constitution and the Government enforces the laws around these rights. Therefore, the government is the guarantor of said rights. A function of the government to guarantee these rights is foundational to the concept of government as it exists in the USA. It is not necessarily foundational in other nations. 

Who grants rights to human beings?

Other human beings grant rights via social contract, ie. the government and the CotUS. 

Before the Civil War, what were the rights afforded to African Americans? What rights do they have now? How exactly did this change?

Before the early 20th Century, what rights were afforded to women? What rights do they have now? How exactly did this change?

While it may be aspirational to say that all humans are granted basic human rights by virtue of being alive, the reality falls far short of this goal.   

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.3.7  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @2.3.5    3 months ago
the government is legitimate as long as it agrees with your list of rights but if it has another list of rights or doesn't agree with your list of rights then it's not legitimate ? 

That's the point of the Declaration of Indepence. 

women have a natural right to terminate their pregnancy ?

Where was it listed as one? Have I missed that in Locke? Considering abortion was punished at common law pretty much as far back as records go, you'd think someone would have mentioned it before 1970. 

evilone
Professor Guide
2.3.8  evilone  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.3.7    3 months ago
Considering abortion was punished at common law pretty much as far back as records go

That's a lie. 

Thomas
Senior Guide
2.3.9  Thomas  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.3.7    3 months ago

It has not been seen as a right, but it also has not been always a wrong

Abortion was frequently practiced in North America during the period from 1600 to 1900. Many tribal societies knew how to induce abortions. They used a variety of methods including the use of black root and cedar root as abortifacient agents. During the colonial period, the legality of abortion varied from colony to colony and reflected the attitude of the European country which controlled the specific colony. In the British colonies abortions were legal if they were performed prior to quickening. In the French colonies abortions were frequently performed despite the fact that they were considered to be illegal. In the Spanish and Portuguese colonies abortion was illegal. From 1776 until the mid-1800s abortion was viewed as socially unacceptable; however, abortions were not illegal in most states. 

evilone
Professor Guide
2.3.10  evilone  replied to  Thomas @2.3.9    3 months ago

Abortion wasn't thought of as much in the US until after the Civil War when male Catholic doctors started demanding they take control of women health. And they used abortion as their wedge into taking control. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.3.11  Sean Treacy  replied to  Thomas @2.3.6    3 months ago
Therefore, the government is the guarantor of said rights.

Yes, that's the point of a just government. That's neither here nor there to the discussion.

ther human beings grant rights via social contract, ie. the government and the CotUS. 

Great. We are in agreement. A government that can create rights can take them away since those rights  are merely their  creation and have no existence outside the government's deining to allow you to possess them at its discretion. 

Before the Civil War, what were the rights afforded to African Americans? 

Very few,

ow exactly did this change?

Because believers in natural law, like Lincoln, used the moral force of natural law to convince the north to fight a war in order to make  the government more in line with the principles set forth in the Declaration of Independence.   

That's the point. Government, at least good government, is the attempt to bring government in line with the principles of natural law, as set forth in the Declaration of Independence. It is not magic. But it is the rationale for why slavery is wrong, or woman should have the vote. Otherwise, it's just power all the way down.  Its why slavery has existed throughout history and throughout the globe and it was the western belief in natural law and the arguments based upon it that led to its suppression ( at least in most parts of the globe). 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.3.12  Sean Treacy  replied to  evilone @2.3.10    3 months ago
thought of as much in the US until after the Civil War when male Catholic doctors started demanding they take control of women health.

Lol.Abortion  was punished at common law in England when Catholics were being killed as heretics and came with the Protestant founders to  America. The idea that Catholic doctors in the middle of the 19th century had that kind of power is Protocols of the Elders of Zion type [shit.deleted]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.3.13  Sean Treacy  replied to  Thomas @2.3.9    3 months ago
n the British colonies abortions were legal if they were performed p

Yes, thanks for proving my point.  Abortion was regulated by the state and there was no "right" to one. 

evilone
Professor Guide
2.3.14  evilone  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.3.12    3 months ago
Abortion  was punished at common law in England when Catholics were being killed as heretics and came with the Protestant founders to  America.

From the 13th century to the early 19th century induced abortion was legal under English common law, before the onset of quickening at 15 to 18 weeks gestation.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.3.15  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.3.13    3 months ago
Abortion was regulated by the state and there was no "right" to one

so natural rights have no meaning other than the meaning that is construed from governing documents

if Congress passes a law saying that women have a right to an abortion will that mean they have a natural right to an abortion

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.3.16  Sean Treacy  replied to  evilone @2.3.14    3 months ago
tury to the early 19th century induced abortion was legal under English commo

Again, thanks for proving my point. There was no right to an abortion. The government could and did punish it with different standards. No one ever claimed it was a right. In fact, the law considered abortion before quickening a misprision that couldn't be punished because of the difficulty of proof.

I'm glad we all agree England has  regulated abortion  for almost a thousand years without anyone ever considering it a "right." 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.3.17  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @2.3.15    3 months ago
o natural rights have no meaning other than the meaning that is construed from governing documents

No. I've asked you again to show where  anyone considered abortion a natural right, even though it was in fact regulated by law. If there was widespread belief in 1500 that women had a natural right to an abortion and argued against punishing them you'd have something to start with. 

saying that women have a right to an abortion will that mean they have a natural right to an abortio

first off, I don't think you understand what a right is. If Congress passes a law saying the speed limit is 75 it doesn't create a "right" to drive that fast. If it changes it two years later to 55 you have no ability to claim your rights are being infringed because what was legal last week (driving at 75) is no longer legal. Congress cannot create a right, let alone a natural one.

If Congress allows abortion until birth tomorrow, women can have abortions until birth unless a future Congress imposes a new standard. Same as anything else Congress legislates. 

evilone
Professor Guide
2.3.18  evilone  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.3.16    3 months ago

You - @ 2.3.12    Sean Treacy abortion  was punished at common law in England 

Me - @ 2.3.14     evilone  induced abortion was legal under English common law

You - @ 2.3.16     Sean Treacy   thanks for proving my point. There was no right to an abortion.

WFT???!!! 

No one ever claimed it was a right.

That's called moving the goalposts again, Sean. 

evilone
Professor Guide
2.3.19  evilone  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.3.17    3 months ago
Congress cannot create a right, let alone a natural one.

Hmmm.... I have issue with this too. Was it not the 1789 Continental Congress that drafted our Bill of Rights in Federal Hall in NYC? 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.3.20  Sean Treacy  replied to  evilone @2.3.18    3 months ago
hat's called moving the goalposts again, Sean. 

Not at all. They all make the same point. If abortion was a "right" it would not have been prohibited and punished for almost a thousand years without any claiming such a right existed.  That it was regulated and criminally  punished literally proves the opposite. If anyone believed an actual  right existed until recently , someone, somewhere would have said it can't be regulated  because women have a right to an abortion.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.3.21  Sean Treacy  replied to  evilone @2.3.19    3 months ago
have issue with this too. Was it not the 1789 Continental Congress that drafted our Bill of Rights in Federal Hall in NYC? 

You got me. Congress plays a role in passing Amendments and can create a right by drafting an amendment that is ratified. It does not create a right by passing a law. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.3.22  charger 383  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.3.2    3 months ago

Flag  was dismissed on 2.3.2 as it was responded to by addressed member at 2.3.6.  

evilone
Professor Guide
2.3.23  evilone  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.3.20    3 months ago
If abortion was a "right" it would not have been prohibited and punished for almost a thousand years without any claiming such a right existed.

And I pointed out is wasn't always punished for almost a thousand years. You seem to think the word "right" has some special significant meaning other words don't. All it boils down to are definitions in the social contract.  Laws are more easily amended than Rights. Rights are not supernatural constructs. The modern age has moved beyond the "divine right of kings" to the "rights of the individual".

When people speak of the "right to an abortion", what they really mean is the "right to self autonomy" and the "right to privacy". If you don't believe these ideals mean anything, whether codified into the social contract by right, law or precedent, then you are ceding that power to the State. What conservatives once defined as a "Nanny State".  

Thomas
Senior Guide
2.3.24  Thomas  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.3.11    3 months ago

I started off taking issue with this statement to JR from you:

Th(e)n you believe humans have no rights the government can't take away from them? If the government gave them to you, they can take them right back and you have no reason to complain.

The government did not grant the right, the government recognized that something was a right after society said, "Hey, somebody is denying me the ability to X," so the government gauranteed it as a result of the social contract.

The idea that rights are grantable or revokable at whim is preposterous. We are supposed to have a whole slew of rights that are not enumerated. These rights were part of the debate around the original Bill of Rights. Some were concerned that, by the spelling out of a certain portion of our rights, citizens would be denied other rights by virtue of their not being listed. To look at the debates of today, it would seem that this denial of rights is both the past and present case.

Further, the idea that the citizenry should lay down and accept whatever they are "given" as rights ignores history leading up to this point in time. People have been agitating for their rights since the dawn of civilization, and to have them "granted" and then taken away is not the function of government. Once again, government does not declare rights, the people do. Government is the tool for the guarantee of those rights. Looking at the people, xtian nationalists are attempting to deny the rights of certain people simply because they are those people.  

Government, at least good government, is the attempt to bring government in line with the principles of natural law, as set forth in the Declaration of Independence.

What is Natural Law? I thought you just got done saying there is no inherent natural law (i.e. natural rights). All law is a construction of human beings. There is nothing natural about it at all. The only way that rights got recognized is by people standing up to be counted ...and shot, and murdered and lynched. When we take away those rights, as we can see xtian nationalists attempting to do right now, it is little wonder that there is grumbling from those who you are attempting to remove rights from.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3  Sean Treacy    3 months ago

It's amazing to see the left now literally describe support of  the Declaration of Independence as Christian extremism. It's like they are doing PR work for christian extremism.

If you like puppy dogs, ice cream or a refreshing drink on a hot day, you are Christian Extremist!

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     3 months ago

Is America the only country that God bestowed these rights on? 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Kavika @4    3 months ago
merica the only country that God bestowed these rights on? 

Is every human an American? 

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1    3 months ago

We could ask is every American a human?

So, it's good to know according to you that he did bestow these rights on all humans, is that correct?

evilone
Professor Guide
4.1.2  evilone  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1    3 months ago

So God only cares about a select group of people? If so, what a sad impotent little deity. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Kavika @4.1.1    3 months ago
t's good to know according to you that he did bestow these rights on all humans, is that correct

Are you familiar with the declaration of independence? This is pretty basic stuff. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Sean Treacy  replied to  evilone @4.1.2    3 months ago
So God only cares about a select group of people? 

What a sad comment. Are you that unfamiliar with the concepts being discussed that you think that's a point? 

evilone
Professor Guide
4.1.5  evilone  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.4    3 months ago
Are you that unfamiliar with the concepts being discussed that you think that's a point? 

I am familiar with your attempts to revise history. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.6  Sean Treacy  replied to  evilone @4.1.5    3 months ago
am familiar with your attempts to revise history. 

By all means, point to the history I'm revising. What passage of Locke, Aristotle, Cicero or even the Declaration of Indepence are you relying on for your belief that natural law means "God only cares about a select group of people."

evilone
Professor Guide
4.1.7  evilone  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.6    3 months ago
By all means, point to the history I'm revising.

You've been twisting the meaning of the Natural Rights and what Locke believed since I've known you. Locke does quote god given rights, but he doesn't mean literally from God. The European intellectual movement was born from rebellion of Church rule. It was the Humanism of it's day. Totally the opposite what Christian Nationalist are trying to trick the gullible into today. Furthermore, Deism and Christianity conflicted for over 200 years. The tenants of Deism were skepticism, atheism, and materialism.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.8  Sean Treacy  replied to  evilone @4.1.7    3 months ago
sting the meaning of the Natural Rights and what Locke believed since I've known you

The irony here is off the charts. Imagine thinking anything you wrote conflicts with my point.  To blatantly ignore my reference to  Aristotle and Cicero and  focusing only on Locke is straw manning of the highest order. 

So where did Locke, Cicero or Aristotle claim that God only cares about a select group of people? 

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.9  Kavika   replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.3    3 months ago
Are you familiar with the declaration of independence? This is pretty basic stuff. 

Yes, I am, thank you for asking and now let me quote this from the D o I...

He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages, whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.

According to this passage from the Declaration of Independence, he didn't bestow these rights on everyone, only on the white folks in what is now the US. It seems that the ''merciless Indian Savages'' received no rights from God and according to the ''Doctrine of Discovery'' and Papal Bulls including “Inter Caetera,” he encouraged the conquering, enslavement, and death of the ''Savages'' that is Pope Alexander VI and if I understand it the Pope represents God on earth and is God's messenger.

So, what we have is a God that only felt that white folks were entitled to ''human rights''. On the other hand being conquered, enslaved, or killed was a human right of the supporters of the D o I? See where I'm going with this, Sean. This human rights thing from God is pretty much BS or he is one very evil entity. 

evilone
Professor Guide
4.1.10  evilone  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.8    3 months ago
focusing only on Locke is straw manning of the highest order. 

You're a funny guy.

So where did Locke, Cicero or Aristotle claim that God only cares about a select group of people? 

I bow to the master strawman builder...

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.11  Sean Treacy  replied to  Kavika @4.1.9    3 months ago
[passage] from the Declaration of Independence, he didn't bestow these rights on everyone, only on the white folks

[deleted]

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed, by their Creator, with certain unalienable rights.

[deleted]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.12  Sean Treacy  replied to  evilone @4.1.10    3 months ago
[deleted]

evilone
Professor Guide
4.1.13  evilone  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.12    3 months ago
Run away from your claims.

I didn't run away, you moved the goalposts. 

evilone
Professor Guide
4.1.14  evilone  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.11    3 months ago
The Declaration of Independence does not purport to set up a world government covering the entirety of humanity. The purpose of the US government being established  is to secure those rights for it's citizens.

Correct. It is the introduction of a social contract between the governed and those who would govern. It is not an ordained religious tract nor was it handed down to the Founding Father by a burning bush. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.15  Sean Treacy  replied to  evilone @4.1.14    3 months ago
It is not an ordained religious tract nor was it handed down to the Founding Father by a burning bush. 

[deleted]

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed, by their Creator, with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.--That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, that whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles, and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.16  Sean Treacy  replied to  evilone @4.1.13    3 months ago
idn't run away, you moved the goalposts. 

My argument has always been the same. You started with a ridiculous claim and have done nothing but backtrack and deflect. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.17  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.11    3 months ago
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed, by their Creator, with certain unalienable rights.

I seriously doubt that many people would consider that sentence to only pertain to the would be U.S. citizens who were colonists at the time of the writing.

I would think that rights granted by the creator would pertain to everyone everywhere on earth

evilone
Professor Guide
4.1.18  evilone  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.15    3 months ago
You are addicted to strawmen. 

Let's get this straight then. Americans do not get their rights by supernatural decree.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.19  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.17    3 months ago
seriously doubt that many people would consider that sentence to only pertain to the would be U.S. citizens who were colonists at the time of the writin

I'm not arguing that. In fact, I'm arguing the opposite. 

The founders are saying "we are humans. We have these inalienable rights that the King is violating.  We are joining together to form a new government to protect those rights among those we govern." 

The founders are not trying to secure those rights for the world by creating a world government.  They are setting  up a government that will protect those rights for those who are rebelling against George III. Non Americans are recognized as having rights as humans under that clause, but the founders are making no claim to be able to secure those rights for them. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.1.20  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.17    3 months ago
I would think that rights granted by the creator would pertain to everyone everywhere on earth

Yes, but we were securing them only in this country.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.21  Kavika   replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.11    3 months ago
Lol. This is simple reading comprehension. I'll walk you through this:

Thank you so much, let's have a go at it.

All per the dictionary means "used to refer to the whole quantity or extent of a particular group or thing." 

And your comment said All men were created equal..We know that is a lie, so either God is a liar or the founders are. Thank you for pointing that out.

Here's something you somehow  seem to be overlooking . The Declaration of Independence does not purport to set up a world government covering the entirety of humanity. The purpose of the US government being established  is to secure those rights for it's citizens. Not for Germans or Indians or Peruvians. 

The reason I said in what is now the US is to set the boundaries that it did not include the world but specifically what is now the US. 

Not for Germans or Indians or Peruvians. 

Whoa, so it wasn't for Indians even though there were millions of us here since the beginning and it was our country. Thank you again for pointing out that the D o I was racist as were the founders and I guess God is too. So God restricted human rights to whites living in what is now the US, that is fricken amazing. Billions of people in the world and the US is the only one with human rights...

Except, of course, that the people who believe that actually created the concept of human rights that never existed before hand.  Think how cheap life was on this continent before these ideas held sway. 

They never existed before!! Wow, do you have proof of that? Life was not nearly as cheap on his continent inhabited by ''Savages'' as it was in Europe inhabited by inventor (s) of human rights. We will have to overlook the hundreds of wars that killed an enormous number of Europeans, Kings, and Royal Families incest, plundering, cast systems et al. 

Now if there were no human rights before the DoI what in the world was God doing for the thousands of years of mankind?  

You keep making things up that have no basis other than your own prejudices.  

LOL, I didn't make anything up and when it comes to prejudices you would be the master of that.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.1.22  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  evilone @4.1.7    3 months ago
Locke does quote god given rights, but he doesn't mean literally from God

Locke’s thoughts on God:

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.23  Sean Treacy  replied to  Kavika @4.1.21    3 months ago
All men were created equal..We know that is a lie, 

Which men aren't equal in your mind?

so either God is a liar or the founders are

what did god lie about? Who claimed he even said anything on this topic? 

wasn't for Indians even though there were millions of us here since the beginning and it was our country. \

Um. No shit.  Were Indians sovereign nations or American citizens? 

Life was not nearly as cheap on his continent inhabited by ''Savages'' as it was in Europe inhabited by inventor (s) of human rights

[Deleted

if there were no human rights before the DoI what in the world was God doing for the thousands of years of mankind?

[Deleted]  Why would you believe any of this has anything to do with God's involvement or lack thereof with men's affairs? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.24  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.23    3 months ago

Almost every country has belonged to another at some point in history. This whole "our country first" thing is old news and not relevant.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.25  Sean Treacy  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.24    3 months ago
. This whole "our country first" thing is old news and not relevant.

Especially because native americans never viewed themselves as one people or nation occupying the land.  It was a cycle of war and ethnic cleansing of the losing tribes that never really stopped until America controlled the land. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.26  Kavika   replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.23    3 months ago
Which men aren't equal in your mind?

Well do you want to start with the young US...It would be Indians, blacks and most any minority after.

what did god lie about? Who claimed he even said anything on this topic? 

You did, the question is do our rights come from God. You are in the affirmative so how did he get that premise to the Founders, email, letter, thunder from the heavens, tablets of stone?

Um. No shit.  Were Indians sovereign nations or American citizens? 

Yes, they were sovereign nations and the rest of that comment is hilarious. Of course we were not American Citizens, there was no America at the time.

[Deleted

Oh oh, try not to get violations, what would God think of you? Be civil.

[Deleted]  Why would you believe any of this has anything to do with God's involvement or lack thereof with men's affairs? 

Oh, no another delete, time for you to head for the confessional. To answer the remainder of your questions, DUH because that is the path you've been pushing.

You have a wonderful evening. 

Cheers

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.27  Kavika   replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.25    3 months ago
Especially because native americans never viewed themselves as one people or nation occupying the land.

Oh we've always viewed ourselves as one people but each is its own Nation, just as it is today according to the US. 

It was a cycle of war and ethnic cleansing of the losing tribes that never really stopped until America controlled the land. 

LOL, now that is an ignorant comment, especially coming from people who committed genocide against natives....Now you just hurry up and tell me it wasn't genocide, because, well just because. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.28  Kavika   replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.24    3 months ago
Almost every country has belonged to another at some point in history. This whole "our country first" thing is old news and not relevant.

So you're saying that we are the same as all other countries that were conquered? Sorry, but that's dead wrong. 

Cheers

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.29  Texan1211  replied to  Kavika @4.1.28    3 months ago
So you're saying that we are the same as all other countries that we conquered?

Nope, never said that at all.

Sorry, but that's dead wrong. 

Nope, what is dead wrong is saying that is what I said.

Cheers

Toodles.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.30  Kavika   replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.29    3 months ago

A ? signifies a question as shown at the end of the sentence in my comment. A simple yes or no would have been sufficient.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.31  Texan1211  replied to  Kavika @4.1.30    3 months ago
A ? signifies a question as shown at the end of the sentence in my comment. A simple yes or no would have been sufficient.

There was nothing in my comment to lead you to ask such a question.  A simple reading of what I wrote would have sufficed instead of poorly attempting to twist what I did write.

I don't play that game of pretending you wrote something other than what you did write and don't appreciate it when others try to run that game on me. I ain't having it.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.32  Kavika   replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.31    3 months ago
There was nothing in my comment to lead you to ask such a question.  A simple reading of what I wrote would have sufficed instead of poorly attempting to twist what I did write.

Of course, there was and there was no attempt to twist your words thus the question mark, but if that is your conclusion so be it, wrong as it is.

I don't play that game of pretending you wrote something other than what you did write and don't appreciate it when others try to run that game on me. I ain't having it.

You certainly are having a problem with a question, and running a game on you, LOL now that funny and ''I ain't having it'' well damn good for you, stomp your foot and demand justice. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.33  Texan1211  replied to  Kavika @4.1.32    3 months ago
Of course, there was and there was no attempt to twist your words thus the question mark, but if that is your conclusion so be it, wrong as it is.

I suggest you read what I did write if that is what you thought I wrote, because the actual words don't support that theory as wrong as it is.

You certainly are having a problem with a question,

No, my problem is someone thinking I wrote something other than what my words say.

it is a childish game to pretend people write one thing when they didn't and then try to deny that's the game they're playing.

charger 383
Professor Silent
4.1.34  charger 383  replied to  Kavika @4.1.32    3 months ago

Flags on 4.1.28 & 4.1.31 were dismissed as addressed member responded directly below them. 

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
4.1.35  mocowgirl  replied to  Kavika @4.1.9    3 months ago
According to this passage from the Declaration of Independence, he didn't bestow these rights on everyone, only on the white folks in what is now the US.

Whte MEN - women were excluded from rights and had to fight for them and still do.

After the Civil War, the White Men decided the Black Men had the right to vote and various other rights that were still being denied to ALL women.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.36  Kavika   replied to  mocowgirl @4.1.35    3 months ago
Whte MEN - women were excluded from rights and had to fight for them and still do.

Good point, and I'll add that Indians couldn't vote, hell we weren't even citizens until 1924 and the last state that allowed us to vote was 1962.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.1.37  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Kavika @4.1.36    3 months ago

It’s a shame that white men in the 18th century didn’t have today’s perspective.

evilone
Professor Guide
4.1.38  evilone  replied to  mocowgirl @4.1.35    3 months ago

It was actually white male landowners

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
4.1.39  mocowgirl  replied to  Kavika @4.1.36    3 months ago
Good point, and I'll add that Indians couldn't vote, hell we weren't even citizens until 1924 and the last state that allowed us to vote was 1962.

These are the facts that destroy the propaganda that the US ever was and is "the land of the free".

There are constant battles by one group or another to limit another group's freedoms.  It is a constant Game of Thrones waged largely by sadistic, narcissistic men who would be king of all they survey to gratify themselves at the expense of others. People are just objects to be used, abused and discarded at their pleasure.  This is one of the reasons that people do not bother to vote.  Whoever gets in office works to enrich themselves and maybe enacts a few token measures that seem to benefit one group at the expense of another group to keep the political game alive.  

The major industry of the US is endless war instead of using that money to build infrastructure, support public education, fund physical and mental health access and everything else that would benefit the lives of people instead of destroy them.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
4.1.40  mocowgirl  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.1.37    3 months ago
It’s a shame that white men in the 18th century didn’t have today’s perspective.

What is a shame is that Indians treated women with more respect as equals before the White Men taught them the error of their ways.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5  Buzz of the Orient    3 months ago

It sounds to me like "I am a Roman citizen, and therefore I have inalienable rights" (which others don't have).  Well, you know that the Roman Empire did not last forever.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6  Drinker of the Wry    3 months ago

I again see how we on NT take arguments to the level of absurdity.

Any historical account of the origins of American slavery and genocide of indigenous people will never ever satisfy our moral conscience of today- fools errand. Thinking historically is not about making moral judgments about the past, that’s easy and isn’t useful.  What builds on understanding is why people in the past acted as they did. 

Gsquared
Professor Principal
6.1  Gsquared  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6    3 months ago
why people in the past acted as they did

Greed and the lust for power, which are intimately intertwined.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.1.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Gsquared @6.1    3 months ago
Greed and the lust for power, which are intimately intertwined

Yea, those impulses are gone away.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.2  Kavika   replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6    3 months ago
Any historical account of the origins of American slavery and genocide of indigenous people will never ever satisfy our moral conscience of today- fools errand.

It didn't satisfy the moral conscience of many from that time period either.

What builds on understanding is why people in the past acted as they did. 

The same reason that they act that way today, they are not considered equal by many, yesterday, today and tomorrow.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.2.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Kavika @6.2    3 months ago
It didn't satisfy the moral conscience of many from that time period either.

It satisfied a great majority in the 18th Century.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6    3 months ago
Thinking historically

whose history? The idea that only the white Europeans can give a true history of what happened in North America is nonsense.  The whites even had a name for taking Indian land  -   manifest  destiny

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.3.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @6.3    3 months ago
The idea that only the white Europeans can give a true history of what happened in North America is nonsense. 

Who wrote such nonsense?

Manifest Destiny

Wasn’t that a mid-19th century term long after the establishment of slavery here and the destruction of the native peoples?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.3.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6.3.1    3 months ago

The concept of   Manifest Destiny   had a profound and often devastating impact on   Native American tribes   during the westward expansion of the United States. Let’s delve into the consequences:

1. Land Dispossession :

2. Armed Conflict :

3. Exposure to Diseases :

4. Cultural Impact :

In summary, Manifest Destiny led to land dispossession, conflict, disease, and cultural upheaval for Native American tribes. It remains a complex and painful chapter in American history. 🌿

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.3.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @6.3.2    3 months ago
The concept of   Manifest Destiny   had a profound and often devastating impact on  Native American tribes   during the westward expansion of the United States.

No doubt, but the die had already been cast.