Discussions

johnrussell
link

Fattest Cities In America Ranked (Hint: Good Ol' Southern Cooking)

By:  @johnrussell, yesterday
Comments:  8
Latest By:  @community, yesterday

2017’s Fattest Cities in America   https://wallethub.com/edu/fattest-cities-in-america/10532/    

buzz-of-the-orient
Why Must Women Choose between Feminism and Zionism, but Not Other "Isms"? by Alan M. Dershowitz, Gatestone Institute, March 15 2017 On March 8, women abstained from work as part of the International Women's Strike (IWS) – a grassroots feminist movement aimed at bringing attention "to the current social, legal, political, moral and verbal violence experienced by contemporary women at various latitudes." But these positive goals were distorted by the inclusion of anti-Israel rhetoric in... 

johnrussell
link

You'll Never Beat The Irish

By:  @johnrussell, one week ago
Comments:  21
Latest By:  @community, one week ago

2017 St. Patrick's Day Parade - Dublin City, Ireland                         [jrEmbed module="jrYouTube" youtube_id="-K69E2WaCRc"] [jrEmbed module="jrYouTube" youtube_id="B4v6aNjGFFk"] [jrEmbed module="jrYouTube" youtube_id="bd8Pk8TsHtU"] [jrEmbed module="jrYouTube" youtube_id="39oO7zKStvU"]      

buzz-of-the-orient
link

The Right to Choose Includes the Right to Choose Life

By:  @buzz-of-the-orient, one week ago
Comments:  38
Latest By:  @randy, one week ago

The Right to Choose Includes the Right to Choose Life by Alan M. Dershowitz, The Gatestone Institute, March 16, 2017 The Supreme Court justices who decided Roe v. Wade, photographed in 1972. There is no conflict between the "right to choose" and "the right to life" in the context of abortion, because the former includes the latter. If the state were ever to require a pregnant woman to undergo an abortion -- as China in effect did with its "one child" policy -- there would be a... 

krishna
link

"Internet Slang": Top 50 trending Now

By:  @krishna, one week ago
Comments:  14
Latest By:  @buzz-of-the-orient, one week ago

Some are used mainly by certain groups of people-- for example, computer programmers & other techies, or sports fans, etc.  Some of these come and go. A few have been around since the Internet first became popular with individual users. LOL ("Laugh out loud") is probably the longest lasting and may never disappear entirely. Others that have had a long life or have at times been extremely popular include: FAQ, IMO, WTF, BTW, OMG, BRB, NSFW . . .  Here's a list of the 50 that are... 

buzz-of-the-orient
link

The South May Not Rise Again

By:  @buzz-of-the-orient, 2 weeks ago
Comments:  22
Latest By:  @randy, one week ago

The South May Not Rise Again Recent studies show that Canada is more welcoming to the idea of social mobility than the United States. By Anzish Mirza , Contributor - US NEWS and World Report, March 10, 2017 Canadian and American flags wave in the wind at the US/Canada border March 1, 2017, in Pittsburg, New Hampshire. (DON EMMERT/AFP/Getty Images) The American dream has been an aspiration for immigrants and citizens alike for decades. The idea that anyone -- regardless of race,... 

spikegary
link

Good News Wednesday.........It's Today

By:  @spikegary, 2 months ago
Comments:  53
Latest By:  @spikegary, 2 weeks ago

[jrEmbed module="jrYouTube" youtube_id="lc6WDloo-Qo"] Don't forget to stop by GNW and add something upbeat! It's here: http://thenewstalkers.com/spikegary/group/35/good-news-wednesday  

buzz-of-the-orient
link

Cursive Is Making a Comeback

By:  @buzz-of-the-orient, 3 weeks ago
Comments:  4
Latest By:  @randy, 2 weeks ago

Cursive Is Making a Comeback By Karen Matthews/AP and TIME Staff, Time Magazine, March 5 2017 © Getty Images (NEW YORK) — Cursive writing is looping back into style in schools across the country after a generation of students who know only keyboarding, texting and printing out their words longhand. Alabama and Louisiana passed laws in 2016 mandating cursive proficiency in public schools, the latest of 14 states that require cursive. And last fall, the 1.1... 

buzz-of-the-orient
link

A Tale of Two Talks: Free Speech in the U.S.

By:  @buzz-of-the-orient, one month ago
Comments:  39
Latest By:  @buzz-of-the-orient, 3 weeks ago

A Tale of Two Talks: Free Speech in the U.S. by Douglas Murray, Gatestone Institute,  February 14, 2017 Sometimes the whole tenor of an age can be discerned by comparing two events, one commanding fury and the other, silence. To this extent, February has already been most enlightening. On the first day of the month, the conservative activist and writer Milo Yiannopoulos was due to speak at the University of California, Berkeley. To the surprise of absolutely no one, some of the new... 

johnrussell
link

SpaceX wants to fly two civilians around the moon

By:  @johnrussell, 3 weeks ago
Comments:  10
Latest By:  @jwc2blue, 3 weeks ago

SpaceX wants to fly two civilians around the moon   AP Elon Musk's  SpaceX said  on Monday that it plans to carry two civilians around the Moon in 2018. Details: SpaceX says it was "approached" about the flight and that the two planned passengers "have already paid a significant deposit to do a moon mission." They'll start training later this year. Should all go as planned they will be traveling in the Crew Dragon spacecraft,... 

lucy
Hi everybody!!!  For those of you who do not know me, I'm Lucy. For those of you who do--yay!!!  Your favorite pain in the royal behind is BACK, baby, BACK!!! So, yeah...  how are y'all? Did y'all see Gary raising funds in a coconut bra/hula skirt?  I heard he was going to wear some elephant underwear and actually chickened out at the last minute....  (right, Gary?) Anyhoo...  if you read about my article having twins, you probably enjoyed the fact that I was an elephant-sized woman... 

community
Ivanka Trump had something in common with many men and women in the U.S. when she laid eyes on Justin Trudeau during the  Canadian Prime Minister’s trip to the White House on Monday. We’ll let you try and figure out what. During his first face-to-face visit with President Donald Trump, the Canadian Prime Minister had a round table discussion about women in the workforce. Ivanka attended the roundtable and “helped recruit participants and set the agenda,” according to... 

community
link

Anti-Semitic jokes cause YouTube, Disney to distance themselves from PewDiePie

By:  @community, one month ago
Comments:  3
Latest By:  @kavika, one month ago

In the YouTube clip, a pair of South Asian men wearing costume loincloths held up a banner that read, “DEATH TO ALL JEWS.” They danced and laughed, while in a separate screen the YouTuber named Felix  Kjellberg (also known by his stage name PewDiePie) covered his mouth with his hands.  “I don’t feel too proud of this, I’m not going to lie,” Kjellberg said in the Jan. 11 video, which had been viewed more than 6 million times before its removal. Kjellberg, a 27-year-old Swedish... 

danaesmith
link

Din 934 thread adds some added alarm

By:  @danaesmith, 2 months ago
Comments:  0
Afterglow in the Din 934  thread adds some added alarm to a child's witch or goblin costume, and it adds an added blow of assurance by accretion afterimage during caliginosity ambush or treating. Quilted Halloween coffer hangings with aglow outlines and accents add a awful apparitional abode aftereffect for ancestors decorating or a themed party. There are amaranthine allowances of removing exceptionable hair. Among others, humans can advocate able hygiene and advance a authentic... 

buzz-of-the-orient
link

The FUTURE is approaching faster than one can handle....!

By:  @buzz-of-the-orient, 2 months ago
Comments:  12
Latest By:  @community, 2 months ago

This was forwarded by email to me by my brother, and it had been forwarded to him, so I do not know who the author is, or where it might have been originally published. As well, because of the usual impossibility of making things work the way you want them to, I can't control the spacing between paragraphs. The   FUTURE   is approaching    faster  than one can handle ....!                         In   1998 , Kodak had    170,000   employees... 

buzz-of-the-orient
U Penn Removes Shakespeare Portrait Because He Does Not Represent ‘Diversity’ by KATHERINE TIMPF, National Review,    December 14, 2016 The Bard was replaced with a portrait of a black lesbian poet. Students at the University of Pennsylvania have removed a portrait of Shakespeare from its Fisher-Bennett Hall and have replaced it with a picture of a black lesbian poet Audre Lorde in the name of “diversity.” According to the Daily Pennsylvanian, a group of students removed the... 

neetu2
link

Women Can Stop Trump...and will.

By:  @neetu2, 5 months ago
Comments:  28
Latest By:  @neetu2, 2 months ago

Don't have much to add to this video. It says enough. I hope sanity prevails in this country. http://www.womencanstoptrump.com/    

johnrussell
link

Illinois Man Sues Over Arrest for Flag Burning

By:  @johnrussell, 2 months ago
Comments:  16
Latest By:  @community, 2 months ago

Illinois Man Sues Over Arrest for Flag Burning 8  JONATHAN TURLEY  by jonathanturley  /   1d   //   keep unread   //   hide   //   preview         We  previously discussed  the case of Bruyton Mellott who was arrested after posting online pictures of himself burning an American flag has filed a federal lawsuit seeking to have the state’s flag desecration law declared unconstitutional. The 22-year-old the Wal-Mart employee was charged with flag... 

danaesmith
link

Safety Measures in Fujihd elevator company

By:  @danaesmith, 2 months ago
Comments:  0
In agreement of design, both hydraulic and aeriform lift elevators arise to be the a lot of popular, not abandoned for assurance issues but for architecture possibilities, as well. A aeriform custom elevator company  , for example, allows your home to accept a across-the-board appearance if ascendance or bottomward through your house. Hydraulic elevators, with a beyond design, accord added options for metal and plan alive and added data in the autogenous of the elevator cab.... 

johnrussell
Here’s Everything And Everyone Trump Has Attacked On Twitter Since The Election He’s been busy. Originally posted on Jan. 14, 2017, at 3:42 p.m. Updated on Jan. 16, 2017, at 5:27 p.m. David Mack BuzzFeed News Reporter       Tweet Tumblr       1.   “Professional protesters”   Kena Betancur / AFP / Getty Images 2.   The  New York Times... 

johnrussell
link

Thomas Friedman: It’s scary how much folks believe in the internet

By:  @johnrussell, 2 months ago
Comments:  2
Latest By:  @the-iconoclast, 2 months ago

Thomas Friedman: It’s scary how much folks believe in the internet Jan. 17th, 2017 http://www.rockymounttelegram.com/Columnists/2017/01/17/Online-and-Scared.html And so it came to pass that in the winter of 2016 the world hit a tipping point that was revealed by the most unlikely collection of actors: Vladimir Putin, Jeff Bezos, Donald Trump, Mark Zuckerberg and the Macy’s department store. Who’d have thunk it? And what was this tipping point? It was the... 

bob-nelson
link

The "fake news smell test" ... by Bob Nelson

By:  @bob-nelson, 2 months ago
Comments:  5
Latest By:  @johnrussell, 2 months ago

File: Israeli border police and soldiers block Palestinian protesters in the occupied West Bank [EPA]   As I was riffling through my RSS feeds this morning, I bumped into an al Jazeera article entitled  Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions: What is BDS?   Everything you need to know about the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement, and what's being done to combat BDS. I am wary of everything in al Jazeera , but I think it useful to have a radically different point of... 

bob-nelson
link

That Gif of Meryl Streep Mocking a Disabled Person Is Totally Fake

By:  @bob-nelson, 2 months ago
Comments:  16
Latest By:  @kavika, 2 months ago

Meryl Streep telling Conan O’Brien about how she was afraid on the set of the 1985 film Out of Africa (NBC) Have you seen this  shocking clip  of Meryl Streep making fun of a disabled person? Well, unlike the clip of Donald Trump, this one is actually fake.   Back in 2015, Donald Trump mocked a disabled reporter at a  campaign event . He flailed his arms around, mimicking Serge Kovaleski from the  New York Times . As you probably know, actress Meryl Streep  recently condemned... 

bob-nelson
link

Corporations Need a New Reason to Be

By:  @bob-nelson, 3 months ago
Comments:  1
Latest By:  @bob-nelson, 3 months ago

Publicly traded corporations are at something of an impasse in the U.S. Their numbers are shrinking: from 7,507 in 1997 to not much more than 3,500 now. Their ranks are getting top-heavy, with most profits and cash flow accruing to a shrinking group of giants: The Few, the Rich Number of firms accounting for 50 percent of U.S. publicly traded corporations That chart data is from a new(ish) paper, "Is the American Public Corporation in Trouble?" by finance professors Kathleen... 

johnrussell
link

" ...A Good Time, A Kind , Forgiving, Charitable Time...." Scrooge's nephew

By:  @johnrussell, 3 months ago
Comments:  11
Latest By:  @sixpick, 3 months ago

One of the most oft quoted passages from Charles Dickens' timeless tale of reflection and redemption, A Christmas Carol -    

/ 6