╌>

Baker's refusal to make gay wedding cake: SCOTUS poses tough questions

Category:  Stock Market & Investments

Via:  lmm  •  7 years ago  •  209 comments

Baker's refusal to make gay wedding cake: SCOTUS poses tough questions

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Supreme Court justices including pivotal jurist Anthony Kennedy on Tuesday posed tough questions to lawyers representing a conservative Christian baker in Colorado who refused to make a wedding cake for a gay couple, but also raised concerns about religious liberty implications in the closely watched case. Several of the justices asked questions that suggested they are concerned about how far a ruling in favor of the baker might extend.

Liberal Justice Elena Kagan wondered about whether a hairstylist, chef or a makeup artist could refuse service, claiming their services are also speech protected by the Constitution. “Why is there no speech in creating a wonderful hairdo?” Kagan asked.  Kennedy said that many examples of other businesses implicated involved free speech rights. He asked U.S. Solicitor General Noel Francisco, who backed the baker, what would happen if the court rules for the baker and bakers nationwide then started receiving requests to not bake cakes for gay weddings. “Would the government feel vindicated?” 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-court-baker/u-s-justices-pose-tough-questions-about-bakers-refusal-to-make-gay-wedding-cake-idUSKBN1DZ0H7

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2  Jeremy Retired in NC    7 years ago

It's pathetic that this has gotten to the point it has.  This boils down to Phillips trying to exercise his 1st amendment right to a point it discriminates against others.  Sadly he's hiding behind his belief to justify that discrimination thinking he's done nothing wrong.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
2.1  Skrekk  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2    7 years ago

The Piggie Park case in 1964 had the same argument made by a member of the very same Southern Baptist cult, that the owner should be free to deny service to the people his cult teaches him to hate.    The only difference was that the people he denied service to were mixed-race couples and blacks.

The court ruled unanimously against the bigot and said that his religious claim was "frivolous."

Jim Smith
Freshman Silent
3  Jim Smith    7 years ago

Creating confectionery treats is speech? Good luck with that.

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
3.1  Willjay9  replied to  Jim Smith @3    7 years ago

He's claiming his artistry in making wedding cakes is a gift from god so he shouldn't have to be forced to use that god given gift on something he doesn't believe in! I kid you not! That's his argument!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Tessylo  replied to    7 years ago
Phillips will win this one

We'll see won't we?

Those bigoted videographers lost.

This bigot will lose as well.  

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
3.1.3  Willjay9  replied to    7 years ago

Yeah well Kennedy agrees with him.

Doubtful......even if Kennedy leans toward the baker (he never said he agrees) case law and precedence in other cases has to be taken under consideration first.

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
3.1.4  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Willjay9 @3.1.3    7 years ago
Doubtful......even if Kennedy leans toward the baker (he never said he agrees) case law and precedence in other cases has to be taken under consideration first.

And, one would think that the rightwing "federalist" justices would be deferential to state laws but we often see that their definition of "federalism" is rather, shall we say, malleable?

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
3.1.5  Skrekk  replied to    7 years ago

How?   What would be the legal basis so that it wouldn't gut every non-discrimination law in the country?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.6  Vic Eldred  replied to    7 years ago

I think Kennedy is in the middle right now, but I see hope for decency here:

"Counselor, tolerance is essential in a free society. And tolerance is most meaningful when it's mutual," Kennedy told Colorado Solicitor General Frederick Yarger, who was defending his state's anti-discrimination law.

"It seems to me that the state in its position here has been neither tolerant nor respectful of Mr. Phillips' religious beliefs."

I think Kennedy realizes that the rights of the gay community have been expanded to the point where they override those of everyone else. A ruling for the baker here spares people of faith from the hateful rhetoric of the left. They can follow their religious beliefs without being called "bigots"

Junior Participates
3.1.7  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.6    7 years ago
I think Kennedy realizes that the rights of the gay community have been expanded to the point where they override those of everyone else.

A lot of people who tried to second-guess Kennedy have had to eat their words, Vic. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.8  Vic Eldred  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @3.1.7    7 years ago

I agree with you on that, that's why I said I think he's in the middle right now

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
3.1.9  Skrekk  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.6    7 years ago
I think Kennedy realizes that the rights of the gay community have been expanded to the point where they override those of everyone else.

I know, right?    It's almost like those gays expect to be treated the same as everyone else!

By the way I suspect Kennedy understood exactly what Breyer meant when he said: "We want to find some kind of distinction that won't undermine every civil rights law since the year two,"

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.10  Vic Eldred  replied to  Skrekk @3.1.9    7 years ago
It's almost like those gays expect to be treated the same as everyone else!

It's way beyond that and you know it

"We want to find some kind of distinction that won't undermine every civil rights law since the year two,"

Yup, and that's the problem. The states were well on the way to recognizing same-sex marriages, but the Court had to get into it and make it a RIGHT, therefore religious objection become equated with bigotry. Every hate filled progressive wanted it just that way. 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
3.1.11  Skrekk  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.10    7 years ago
It's way beyond that and you know it

How so?   Please cite examples to support your false claim.

Yup, and that's the problem. The states were well on the way to recognizing same-sex marriages, but the Court had to get into it and make it a RIGHT, therefore religious objection become equated with bigotry. Every hate filled progressive wanted it just that way. 

The reason the courts got involved is because gays were being denied civil rights like equal protection of the law, and because the states were unconstitutionally enforcing Christian sharia laws which were rooted in anti-gay animus.

And there's no reason any person should tolerate a violation of their civil rights until the dumb bigots who control a state eventually get around to recognizing those rights.    That's why we have civil rights.....and despite the bigoted baker's erroneous views it's why he's in federal court.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.12  Dulay  replied to    7 years ago
Yeah well Kennedy agrees with him.

You KNOW this because of ONE comment by Kennedy during the arguments? 

You should go read what these same people said after the arguments in Obergefell. 

zuksam
Junior Silent
3.1.13  zuksam  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.2    7 years ago
This bigot will lose as well

Yes the anti-Religious Bigot will lose.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.14  Tessylo  replied to  zuksam @3.1.13    7 years ago
Yes the anti-Religious Bigot will lose.

It's not anti-religious.  How ridiculously stupid.  

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
3.1.16  Skrekk  replied to  NORMAN-D @3.1.15    7 years ago
Justice Kennedy said, your identity thing is just too facile, meaning it’s too broad.

That's an erroneous interpretation given that Kennedy has previously ruled that there's no meaningful distinction between status and conduct in this area, ie that in regards to discrimination there's no difference between being gay and engaging in the things gay folks would do....like buy a wedding cake for a same-sex marriage.

At most he was simply restating the argument made by the bigoted baker for rhetorical purposes.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.17  Dulay  replied to  NORMAN-D @3.1.15    7 years ago
Justice Kennedy said, your identity thing is just too facile, meaning it’s too broad. You’re trying to incorporate way more in your identity politics than you should. It is that there is a big difference in a person’s identity and a person’s actions. And this guy, the baker and Justice Kennedy got it, he made the point. The baker never discriminated against them on the basis of their identity; he discriminated on the basis of what they were asking him to do.

Thank you Rush Limbaugh for you obtuse misinterpretation. 

Justice Kennedy DID NOT say what is in that paragraph and IMHO, by posting it as a block quote, your comment is an INTENTIONAL misrepresentation and CLEAR proof that you are not, and perhaps are incapable of, participating here in good faith. 

Oh and BTFW, the content of Rush Limbaugh's site are COPYRIGHTED, so it would behoove you to go back over there and copy the link and properly include it with the Limbaugh content. 

Oh, and I'll ask you what I've asked the others. What was the lawyer's answer to Kennedy's comment? 

True American Pat
Freshman Silent
3.2  True American Pat  replied to  Jim Smith @3    7 years ago

"Creating confectionery treats is speech? Good luck with that."

It may seem trivial to some......but this is this man's livelihood....his "Art".....

It is clear that we have the freedom to express our religious beliefs in Art. 

Junior Participates
3.2.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  True American Pat @3.2    7 years ago
It is clear that we have the freedom to express our religious beliefs in Art.

So, you consider every doughnut a work of art?  Do you frame them or eat them?  (Don't misunderstand me.  I love doughnuts).

True American Pat
Freshman Silent
3.2.2  True American Pat  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @3.2.1    7 years ago

Doesn't matter whether you or I think something is art or not.......There is a lot of "Art" out there that I wouldn't call "Art".......Nonetheless, it is Protected.

This painting is considered art......I wouldn't give 27 cents for it.....but again....it doesn't matter what you or I think about it......Just about anything that someone creates could be considered a work of art.....

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
3.2.3  Willjay9  replied to  True American Pat @3.2    7 years ago

So would the barber who cut their hair for the wedding be considered an artist? How about the jeweler who sized and sold their rings?

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
3.2.4  Phoenyx13  replied to  Willjay9 @3.2.3    7 years ago
So would the barber who cut their hair for the wedding be considered an artist? How about the jeweler who sized and sold their rings?

we should also contact the fashion designer(s) who created the dresses and/or tuxedos for the same sex wedding guests (and same sex wedding party participants) and make sure they approve - oh and the landscaping company that did the lawn if its an outdoor ceremony because aren't those both works of "art" too ?

i wonder how far they want to take this and who they expect a same sex couple to contact when planning their wedding ?

True American Pat
Freshman Silent
3.2.5  True American Pat  replied to  Phoenyx13 @3.2.4    7 years ago

If the lawn care company was asked to spell out.......Jesus is a Liar......and they were Christians......Would that be a problem?

What about the Taylor being asked to stitch out the phrase "Pork....the other white meat"....Would that be a problem for a Muslim Taylor?

How about if the Barber was asked to shave the phrase....."Eat more Beef"....Would that be a problem for a Hindu Barber?

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
3.2.6  Skrekk  replied to  True American Pat @3.2.5    7 years ago
If the lawn care company was asked to spell out.......Jesus is a Liar......and they were Christians......Would that be a problem?

How does that hypothetical example relate to this case?    The couple didn't even discuss the specifics of the cake they wanted, the baker simply refused to sell them any kind of wedding cake.

You've also confused the content of a message with the identity of the customers who were being denied service.    In general if you provide a custom service to the general public then you do have to comply with public accommodations laws.   What a vendor doesn't have to do is fulfill orders which have generally offensive messages and which thus would reflect badly on his business.   So if he doesn't make swastika cakes or sell them to anyone, he doesn't have to sell swastika cakes to Neo-Nazis.    But that's completely different from what went on in this case because the baker does indeed sell custom wedding cakes.

True American Pat
Freshman Silent
3.2.7  True American Pat  replied to  Skrekk @3.2.6    7 years ago

So there was no discussion of any specifics to be on the cake?......If that is true....then I agree with you....However, if the baker was asked to depict a same sex couple in any way on the cake then......I believe there would be an issue.....

Junior Participates
3.2.8  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  True American Pat @3.2.5    7 years ago

Wow, you sure have a vivid imagination.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see on those scenarios.  

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3.2.9  lady in black  replied to  True American Pat @3.2.7    7 years ago

There was a whole 20 second conversation, the baker refused when he heard the couple say it was for their wedding. 

True American Pat
Freshman Silent
3.2.10  True American Pat  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @3.2.8    7 years ago

I'll take that as a compliment......but I "imagine" that isn't what you intended it to be.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.2.11  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  True American Pat @3.2.7    7 years ago
So there was no discussion of any specifics to be on the cake?......If that is true....then I agree with you....

"Phillips recalled: “Our conversation was just about 20 seconds long. ‘Sorry guys, I don’t make cakes for same-sex weddings.’”

So no, there was no discussion of any specifics to be on the cake.

The entire "artist" excuse is a red herring. It was never the issue, but when cornered that's likely what his attorneys advised he make his defense.

Just like you can't demand a Jewish deli serve you a BLT, or a gardener mow "I hate Jesus" or any other profanity, no gay couple would be allowed to demand a baker make a "gay" wedding cake decorated with anything he objected to. But that isn't the issue here, the baker simply dismissed the couple before any design was even discussed.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.2.12  Dulay  replied to  True American Pat @3.2.2    7 years ago
Doesn't matter whether you or I think something is art or not.......There is a lot of "Art" out there that I wouldn't call "Art".......Nonetheless, it is Protected.

Actually, Phillips attorney argued the opposite. Waggoner stated that almost all of the other 'participants' in a wedding 'celebration' would NOT be protected. The MOST telling was that Waggoner said a Chef isn't an 'artist' like a baker is. Seriously, you can't make this shit up...

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.2.13  Dulay  replied to  True American Pat @3.2.5    7 years ago
If the lawn care company was asked to spell out.......Jesus is a Liar......and they were Christians......Would that be a problem? What about the Taylor being asked to stitch out the phrase "Pork....the other white meat"....Would that be a problem for a Muslim Taylor? How about if the Barber was asked to shave the phrase....."Eat more Beef"....Would that be a problem for a Hindu Barber?

Why are you arguing the same old crap that you were already been corrected on way back to NV? You know damn well that Phillips was NEVER asked to put ANY message on anything. Read the freaking argument. Not ever Phillips own attorney argued this has anything to do with a WRITTEN MESSAGE. Sheesh, move on, we've been there, done that, long ago...

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
3.2.14  Skrekk  replied to  True American Pat @3.2.7    7 years ago
So there was no discussion of any specifics to be on the cake?

None whatsoever.   The bigoted baker freely admitted that.

All the nonsense about "cake toppers" etc are pure fantasies spread by right wingers who don't know the facts of the case.

True American Pat
Freshman Silent
3.2.15  True American Pat  replied to  Dulay @3.2.13    7 years ago

I don't know what you are talking about.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.2.16  Dulay  replied to  True American Pat @3.2.15    7 years ago

Short memory then. We've had this same discussion on NV. You've read the facts before. 

Please proceed. 

True American Pat
Freshman Silent
3.2.17  True American Pat  replied to  Dulay @3.2.16    7 years ago

I don't know who you are.....Therefore, I don't know what discussion you are referring to.....What was your handle on NV?.....And yes...I do forget some details of some trivial discussions I have had on NV.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.2.18  Dulay  replied to  True American Pat @3.2.17    7 years ago
I do forget some details of some trivial discussions I have had on NV.

The discussion was over multiple days. Hey, you want to pretend ignorance of the facts? Please proceed.

True American Pat
Freshman Silent
3.2.19  True American Pat  replied to  Dulay @3.2.18    7 years ago

It must have been more important to you than it was to me.......again....it might help if I knew who the discussion was with.patience

Speaking of facts........Don't accuse me falsely......I don't know the specifics of this case.....and I don't appreciate you insinuating that I am not telling the truth about it.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
3.2.20  Skrekk  replied to  True American Pat @3.2.19    7 years ago
.....I don't know the specifics of this case.....

Clearly.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.2.22  Dulay  replied to  True American Pat @3.2.19    7 years ago
It must have been more important to you than it was to me

Oh but you had an epiphany toward the end and claimed you were trying to become a better person. Sorry to hear that you've forgotten about that. 

True American Pat
Freshman Silent
3.2.23  True American Pat  replied to  Dulay @3.2.22    7 years ago

Again.....the discussion must have been much more important to you than me.  Is there some reason that you refuse to answer my question about your identity on NV.  I made thousands of posts with hundreds of people.......so if you really care about having this discussion.....answer my question.  Otherwise .....Move on.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.2.24  Dulay  replied to  True American Pat @3.2.23    7 years ago
Is there some reason that you refuse to answer my question about your identity on NV.

Because it's irrelevant and a little mystery in one's life is good. 

As for moving on...Please proceed. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.2.25  Dulay  replied to  NORMAN-D @3.2.21    7 years ago
How about the merchant who crafted and sold them 'personalized' butt-plugs?

How about you send us a link to the website. Just remember to black out your account #. 

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
4  Phoenyx13    7 years ago

a business owner voluntarily opens a public business to provide a service and voluntarily submits him(her)self to secular anti-discrimination laws by opening a public business and obtaining the corresponding licenses. this business owner refuses to serve the public and do his(her) job that he(she) voluntarily decided to do because it might offend his(her) fragile, sensitive religious beliefs. so when should we require all business owners to send out surveys to all potential customers to determine if those potential customers might offend the business owner's fragile, sensitive religious beliefs ?
should the business owner take "personal responsibility" for their actions of not doing their job they voluntarily decided to do ??
(according to many of the religious conservative minded - the answer is "no" and that the business owner should be able to not do his(her) job that he(she) decided to voluntarily do and blame someone else for it)

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
4.1  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Phoenyx13 @4    7 years ago

hate to break the news but engaging in commerce does not cause one to forfeit their religious beliefs.

religious liberty will win this case. count on it.

there is no way the supreme court will rule an artist must produce art against their beliefs/  never going to happen.

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
4.1.1  Phoenyx13  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4.1    7 years ago

hate to break the news but engaging in commerce does not cause one to forfeit their religious beliefs.

there is no way the supreme court will rule an artist must produce art against their beliefs/  never going to happen.

so you believe fragile, sensitive religious beliefs should surpass our secular laws and held higher than our secular laws - thusly turning us into a country ruled by religion, correct ?
or do you believe that our secular laws rule the land and in the secular business environment, religion should be kept at a personal level that doesn't interfere ?

(i don't remember anyone stating that this baker couldn't still hold his beliefs that same sex marriage is wrong - even if he provided the service of baking/decorating a wedding cake for a same sex couple's wedding ceremony. Please point that out to everyone where that is state or admit that his religious beliefs weren't forfeited and that he still has the ability to believe same sex marriage is wrong. thanks :) )

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
4.1.2  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Phoenyx13 @4.1.1    7 years ago
so you believe

I believe you will soon be reminded, against your wishes, that this indeed is a christian nation.

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
4.1.3  Phoenyx13  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4.1.2    7 years ago
I believe you will soon be reminded, against your wishes I might add, that this indeed is a christian nation

ah, you are a proponent of a theocracy - tell me about all the other theocratic countries you admire

which sect of christianity should we adhere to and who's interpretation is correct ?

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
4.1.4  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Phoenyx13 @4.1.3    7 years ago

being a christian nation does not make us a theocracy. 

you should work on your education a bit and when we have clergy running the supreme court instead of judges? you let me know k?

Cheers :)

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
4.1.5  Phoenyx13  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4.1.4    7 years ago

you should work on your education a bit and when we have clergy running the supreme court instead of judges? you let me know k?

Cheers :)

you wish to rule by religion and have religion surpass secular laws - tell me who the religious leaders are again ? didn't you state you are under the impression we are a christian nation (and christianity is a religion) ? you should work on your education a bit   :)   cheers !   :)

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.6  Gordy327  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4.1.2    7 years ago

Except this is not a Christian country and all religions are equal in the eyes of the law.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
4.1.7  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Gordy327 @4.1.6    7 years ago

nice try but no dice. like it or not.  this is a christian country and all religions are allowed by law.

there are religious exemptions, for all faiths, on a number of subjects, and those protections will continue unabated.

the court will not put access to commerce over one's religious beliefs. and they will not allow one to be removed from commerce for following their religious beliefs... simply NEVER going to happen.

(issues like this are why we denied obama another supreme court judge :)

mark my words I am never wrong about such things... 

religious liberty will win this case regardless what the lefts says or does.. it is what it is.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
4.1.8  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4.1.7    7 years ago
nice try but no dice. like it or not. this is a christian country and all religions are allowed by law.

Show me in the Constitution were it says this.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
4.1.9  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Phoenyx13 @4.1.5    7 years ago
you wish to rule by religion

when you figure out that allowing religious belief is not the same as ruling by religion?

you will know the difference between a republic and a theocracy.

hit the books... it is never too late to further ones education

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
4.1.11  Phoenyx13  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4.1.9    7 years ago

when you figure out that allowing religious belief is not the same as ruling by religion?

When you figure out he's still allowed his religious beliefs unless you can prove that anyone somehow stopped his religious beliefs and he can no longer hold those beliefs 

you will know the difference between a republic and a theocracy.

Already do. How many republics are ruled by religion that supersedes secular laws again ?

hit the books... it is never too late to further ones education

That is wonderful advice for you to take :) please let us know how it goes, ok ?

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
4.1.12  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @4.1.8    7 years ago

The First Amendment provides that Congress make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting its free exercise.

it is that "free exercise" part that will be cited by the court in their decision for the baker.

they will not prohibit the baker's free exercise of religion or deny him the ability to engage in commerce because of it. 

(no chance in hell of it going down any other way = pun intended  :)

True American Pat
Freshman Silent
4.1.14  True American Pat  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @4.1.8    7 years ago

The US Constitution does not reference God.  However, the Declaration of Independence predates our Constitution and claims that our Rights come From God.  In addition, every State Constitution in the United States references God or the Devine.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
4.1.15  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  True American Pat @4.1.14    7 years ago
the Declaration of Independence predates our Constitution and claims that our Rights come From God.

the left likes to ignore the fact that the "legal framework" known as the constitution is based on the notions contained in the declaration of independence which is our nations most cherished document. 

somehow in the liberal mind, one has nothing to do with the other.

/

anyways.... I am building me a new shower, so going to do that for a few hrs...  you kids have fun :)

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
4.1.16  Phoenyx13  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4.1.12    7 years ago

The First Amendment  provides that Congress make no law respecting an establishment of religion  or prohibiting its free exercise.

it is that " free exercise"  part that will be cited by the court in their decision for the baker.

they will not prohibit the baker's free exercise of religion or deny him the ability to engage in commerce because of it. 

(no chance in hell of it going down any other way = pun intended  :)

the government is no longer allowing this baker to attend his favorite house of worship ? the government is no longer allowing this baker to hold his fragile, sensitive religious beliefs ? the government is no longer allowing this baker to wear icons of his religion (ex: cross) ? if the answer is "yes" then you would have a case, right ?

Junior Participates
4.1.19  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4.1    7 years ago

He wasn't asked to forfeit anything.  He was asked to bake and decorate a fucking cake.  It was his business, open to the public, and subject to the licensing and civil rights laws of the state of CO.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.20  Gordy327  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4.1.7    7 years ago
this is a christian country

Demonstrably false!

and all religions are allowed by law.

That means all religion are equal according to the law so no one religion trumps any other, including Christianity.

the court will not put access to commerce over one's religious beliefs. and they will not allow one to be removed from commerce for following their religious beliefs... simply NEVER going to happen.

I wasn't aware baking a cake or providing a service to the public was a religious belief.

mark my words Iam never wrong about suchthings... 

A legend in your own mind, eh?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.21  Gordy327  replied to    7 years ago
Show me in the Constitution where the phrase SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE is actually written

The 1st Amendment through the Establishment Clause, as interpreted by the SCOTUS, with established legal precedent. Or do you think something must be explicitly written in the constitution to be legally applicable or valid?

And the reason it's called the ESTABLISHMENT CLAUSE is because the founders wanted to prevent to government from ESTABLISHING any government religion, the very reason they left Britain, to have religious freedom.

That also means keeping religion from dominating or influencing the government, like they saw with Britain.

All this bullshit about this cross and that statue violating some imaginary separation of church and state is just that.

That's for the courts to decide. Of course, if Christians can have their crosses or such bullshit, the Satanists or other religions can have theirs. But then, when that happens, it only seems to be Christians who complain.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.22  Gordy327  replied to  True American Pat @4.1.14    7 years ago
The US Constitution does not reference God.

And the US Constitution is the law of the land and trumps all state constitutions.

However, the Declaration of Independence predates our Constitution and claims that our Rights come From God.

The DoI does not establish our system of laws or government. Neither does it enumerate our rights. The Constitution does.

In addition, every State Constitution in the United States references God or the Devine.

See first statement!

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.23  Gordy327  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4.1.15    7 years ago
the left likes to ignore the fact that the "legal framework" known as the constitution is based on the notions contained in the declaration of independence which is our nations most cherished document

Wrong! The Constitution is based on English Common Law and previous similar documents like the Magna Carta. The DoI simply declares our sovereignty as a nation and lists our grievances with the King of England.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.24  Gordy327  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4.1.12    7 years ago

How is his free exercise being denied exactly? As far as I know, the baker is still free to believe whatever he wants, attend the religious service of his choice, and practice his religion as he sees fit. How is providing a product violating that exercise or a religious exercise in itself?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.1.25  Split Personality  replied to  Phoenyx13 @4.1.3    7 years ago

We understand that there are over 41,000 sects of Christianity.

So many choices...

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.1.26  Split Personality  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @4.1.19    7 years ago

Seems simple enough.

IF he had just changed his businesses name to Evangelical Masterpiece Bakery he probably would filter out a lot of the people he doesn't want to business with.

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
4.1.27  Phoenyx13  replied to  Split Personality @4.1.25    7 years ago
We understand that there are over 41,000 sects of Christianity. So many choices...

i know ! which one do you think they will try to rule with that will supersede secular law ? or should we just leave it up to everyone's individual interpretations of their religion and just allow their sensitive, fragile religious beliefs supersede all secular laws ?

so many questions to answer ! lol

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
4.1.28  Willjay9  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4.1    7 years ago

Noone says it did...but when you decide to open a business accommodating the public your religious beliefs doesn't give you the right to openly discriminate against the public

It never has in the past when it involves public accommodation....so why is now any different?

there is no way the supreme court will rule an artist must produce art against their beliefs/

They already have in the past

Plus, the Solictor General's argument is that right to discriminate doesn't extend to race but only to gender, religion, and sexual orientation!.....basically he is saying you can be a bigot and discriminate, as long as you claim it's against your religious beliefs, you just cant be a racist and claim that!.....wow! the logic of the rightwing!

JenSiNner
Freshman Silent
4.1.29  JenSiNner  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4.1    7 years ago

Hate to break it to you, but when you buy a license to do business with the public, you do give up personal feelings and agree to abide by the law.  If you don't want to serve all of the taxpaying public, get a job and forget about doing business any way you choose.  I guarantee that if you have a job, an employer will demand that you leave that personal shit in your car in the parking lot.  I suggest those that are easily tormented by their religiosity should probably find a job or employment that doesn't deal with the public sector.

JenSiNner
Freshman Silent
4.1.30  JenSiNner  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4.1.2    7 years ago

I believe you will be reminded that the US Constitution is the law of the land, not a book filled with the allegorical tales of ancient sheep herders.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.1.31  Split Personality  replied to    7 years ago

Can anyone deny that the First Amendment guarantees the principle of religious liberty, even though those words do not appear there?

Just because the exact phrase is not there, does not mean that the principles do not exist.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
4.1.32  Skrekk  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4.1.4    7 years ago

We're definitely not a "Christian nation" but if any preference were given to Christianity in the law then the government would be a theocracy, just like most of the colonies were theocracies.

That's the best part.....SCOTUS cannot give any preference to the bigoted baker's particular anti-gay cult.    They'll either need to affirm the unanimous lower court rulings or they'll need to figure out how to rule in a way which doesn't gut every public accommodations law in the country at the state and federal level.   I very much doubt they can do the latter.

True American Pat
Freshman Silent
4.1.33  True American Pat  replied to  Gordy327 @4.1.23    7 years ago

A good article that you might find interesting Gordy.

DocPhil
Sophomore Quiet
4.1.34  DocPhil  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4.1    7 years ago

Would you believe the same thing if it were a Muslim baker who refused to make a cake for a Jew. Or a Christian baker who refused to make a cake for a Hindu. How about an atheist baker who refuses to bake a cake for any religionist, or anyone who wishes religious iconography on their cake.

The problem with this case is the slippery slope that this right wing religionist is espousing. If you are a public company, you cannot discriminate. Opening that door leads to more and more blatant bigotry.  If you can refuse serving the LGBT-Q community, you can refuse the black or brown community. Totally unacceptable on all counts.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.35  Gordy327  replied to  True American Pat @4.1.33    7 years ago
A good article that you might find interesting Gordy.

No, not really. Just a politician giving lip service and rhetoric.

Junior Participates
4.1.36  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4.1    7 years ago

But it also it does not give the business person the right to discriminate and break laws.  

True American Pat
Freshman Silent
4.1.37  True American Pat  replied to  Gordy327 @4.1.35    7 years ago

What specifics in the article led you to believe it was "Lip Service"

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
4.1.38  Skrekk  replied to  DocPhil @4.1.34    7 years ago

The problem with this case is the slippery slope that this right wing religionist is espousing. If you are a public company, you cannot discriminate. Opening that door leads to more and more blatant bigotry.

And it should be noted that the bigoted baker already has an easy out and a very simple way to avoid non-discrimination laws.....he can run his business as a private members-only club.    That's how Rush Limbaugh is able to attend a whites-only country club.

The legal implication is that the  bigoted baker doesn't need any additional legal exceptions in his favor.

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1.39  Dulay  replied to    7 years ago
Show me in the Constitution where the phrase SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE is actually written

Right after you show me in the Constitution where the phrase OWN A GUN is actually written. 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
4.1.40  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  True American Pat @4.1.37    7 years ago
What specifics in the article led you to believe it was "Lip Service"

" Jefferson, in an anti-Christian fit of irrationalism, claimed otherwise. He was wrong."

"Jefferson's views on this issue were wacky, and were not accepted by anyone else, and had no impact on the Constitution or the Supreme Court for generations. Only recently have his embarrassing views been exhumed"

"Jefferson is groping desperately."

"The basis for declaring that the Common Law is based on Christianity is not the judicial fiat of one judge centuries ago. It is an inescapable fact evident over centuries of law, recognized by all scholars (except those with severe axes to grind)."

Kevin Craig is a self proclaimed "Christian Anarchist" wannabe congressman who pushes a lot of nonsense while demeaning one of our founding fathers. His opinions are ridiculous as are his attempts to sound educated.

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1.41  Dulay  replied to  True American Pat @4.1.14    7 years ago
However, the Declaration of Independence predates our Constitution and claims that our Rights come From God.

Bet you're an originalist. Love you guys. 

On the original hand written Declaration of Independence, the word 'god' is NOT capitalized. Now this document was written, and edited, by some of the most well educated men this country ever produced. I for one, believe that IF they wanted the word 'god' capitalized, they would have CAPITALIZED it. Note that they DID capitalize 'the King of Great Britain'. 

Now ONLY Christians think that every freaking reference to 'god', the 'creator', or 'divine providence' means the GOD of Jesus. Y'all really should get over yourselves. 

True American Pat
Freshman Silent
4.1.42  True American Pat  replied to  Dulay @4.1.41    7 years ago
Now ONLY Christians think that every freaking reference to 'god', the 'creator', or 'divine providence' means the GOD of Jesus. Y'all really should get over yourselves.

Please post where I claim that "every freaking reference to 'god', the 'creator', or 'divine providence' means the GOD of Jesus."

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1.43  Dulay  replied to  True American Pat @4.1.42    7 years ago
Please post where I claim that "every freaking reference to 'god', the 'creator', or 'divine providence' means the GOD of Jesus."

Right after you post where I claimed that you did. 

BTW, glad you didn't try to refute my factual statements about the DoI. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1.44  Dulay  replied to  LMM @4.1.18    7 years ago

They are all originalists, until the see shit like that. 

True American Pat
Freshman Silent
4.1.45  True American Pat  replied to  Dulay @4.1.43    7 years ago

Right after you post where I claimed that you did. 

Oh.....my bad......You responded to me......and made the comment in that post......if you didn't direct it to me or imply it toward me.....then why say it at all?

True American Pat
Freshman Silent
4.1.46  True American Pat  replied to  Dulay @4.1.43    7 years ago

BTW, glad you didn't try to refute my factual statements about the DoI. 

Why bother......

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.47  Gordy327  replied to  True American Pat @4.1.37    7 years ago

Pretty much everything. And what Dismayed said.

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1.48  Dulay  replied to  True American Pat @4.1.45    7 years ago
Oh.....my bad......You responded to me......and made the comment in that post

It isn't my fault that you internalize a broad statement. 

True American Pat
Freshman Silent
4.1.49  True American Pat  replied to  Dulay @4.1.48    7 years ago

If you are not writing to me......don't post something to me.....it's a simple concept.crazy

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1.50  Dulay  replied to  True American Pat @4.1.49    7 years ago
If you are not writing to me......don't post something to me.....it's a simple concept.

Actually the way it works around here is that any member can COMMENT on any other member's COMMENT. It's a simple concept. 

lady in black
Professor Quiet
4.1.53  lady in black  replied to  Shepboy @4.1.52    7 years ago

They want to make sure what happened to them does NOT happen to anyone else.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.56  Tessylo  replied to  Shepboy @4.1.52    7 years ago
This is radical extremist gays who wanted to put this man out of business, either them or their friends caused grief to mr Phillips with death threats and suing him..  They want to destroy this man..  Doesnt sound like they are very tolerant people...

This couple never sent death threats to this bigot.  The couple received death threats from a bunch of deplorables.  They sued him so that he would not do this to anyone else.  This bigot is destroying himself - not this couple.  

What is a radical extremist gay?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.60  Tessylo  replied to  Shepboy @4.1.59    7 years ago
The door goes BOTH ways.. because the other way makes it so any person who has any kind of faith will not be able to own a business.  That isnt fair to people who have rebellious beliefs.

What complete and utter nonsense.  

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
4.1.61  Phoenyx13  replied to  Shepboy @4.1.59    7 years ago
The door goes BOTH ways.. because the other way makes it so any person who has any kind of faith will not be able to own a business.  That isnt fair to people who have rebellious beliefs.

there are many public businesses currently that are owned by people of some kind of faith - yet they have no issues owning their public business and no issues serving the public. seems you are indulging in a bit of hyperbole

if court doesn't rule in favor of the baker - it makes no negative impact to current public business owners of any kind of faith who currently have no issues serving the public, it seems they know how to do their jobs and what they signed up for when they voluntarily opened their public business and voluntarily submitted themselves to secular anti-discrimination laws.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.62  Tessylo  replied to  Shepboy @4.1.57    7 years ago
Religious freedom can not be compromised like this.

No one's religious freedom is being compromised.  

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
4.1.63  Skrekk  replied to  Shepboy @4.1.57    7 years ago
If Jack denied all gays because they were gay, then there is a case, but that is not what he did.

Sorry but that's not what the law requires.     You should read it before you comment because the bigoted baker has lost unanimously at each step of the process, including the Colorado supreme court.     I know I've discussed this with you before and you still seem incapable of understanding the plain English of the statute:

It is a discriminatory practice and unlawful for a person, directly or indirectly, to refuse, withhold from, or deny to an individual or a group, because of disability, race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, or ancestry, the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services , facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations of a place of public accommodation

What do you think is meant by the phrase "full and equal"?

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
4.1.64  Skrekk  replied to  Shepboy @4.1.59    7 years ago
The door goes BOTH ways.. because the other way makes it so any person who has any kind of faith will not be able to own a business.

Flat wrong.   The bigot is still free to hold his superstitions.    But if he wants to avoid public accommodations laws because they don't permit him to deny service to the classes of people he hates, then he can run his business as a private members-only club and deny membership to blacks, Jews, gays, women or anyone else his nutty cult teaches him to hate.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.65  Gordy327  replied to  Shepboy @4.1.55    7 years ago
DOI specifically states where our rights originate from.

Pretty much meaningless unless one can prove there's a god. But regardless, it was written in a way the King of England, as the head of the church, would understand.

The Constitution ensures the protection of such rights.

And the Constitution does not reference any god or religious deference.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.66  Gordy327  replied to  Shepboy @4.1.51    7 years ago
So you wanted him to bake a cake for something illegal? Colorado at that time forbid gay marriage.

A cake is for a reception, not a marriage.

Also he didnt deny them service, he offered all goods in the store except for one.. One that was meant for one thing that these two guys did not qualify to receive.

Wrong. He offers wedding cakes as a service. he denied that service to a gay couple.

This case is about Religious Freedom, not discrimination.

Oh BS! No one's religious freedom is threatened in any way!

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.67  Gordy327  replied to  Shepboy @4.1.59    7 years ago

What are "rebellious beliefs?" If a person of faith cannot operate a business or comply with the law because of their faith, they either need to be in a different business or operate a 'members-only' business.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
4.1.68  Skrekk  replied to  Shepboy @4.1.59    7 years ago

Actually bigoted bible-babblers like Phillips are demanding the right to discriminate against gays even when a state prohibits such discrimination........while simultaneously demanding that these same public accommodations laws prohibit discrimination on the basis of religion.

So once again the bible-babblers are asking for special rights which they want denied to the people they hate.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
4.1.70  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to    7 years ago

Here's the first amendment,

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Here's what Thomas Jefferson said about the first amendment in 1802,

In 1802, President Jefferson wrote a letter to a group of Baptists in Danbury, Connecticut, in which he declared that it was the purpose of the First Amendment to build ''a wall of separation between Church and State.''

I think that someone who was there when the first amendment was written would understand what it actually meant.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
4.1.71  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4.1.12    7 years ago

I'm not arguing what the first amendment says, I am arguing that this is a Christian nation based on Christian laws, in other words our laws come straight from the Bible, they don't.

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
4.1.72  Phoenyx13  replied to  NORMAN-D @4.1.69    7 years ago
Islam sure seems to have the Godless secularists nuts in a vice, when it comes to keeping Sharia law out of America. They burn buildings in protest....to allow that RELIGION in.

are you suggesting that "Godless secularists" are actively engaging in trying to institute Sharia Law in America to supersede our current secular laws ?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1.73  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4.1    7 years ago
religious liberty will win this case.

In the case of these stupid bakers, it's not religious freedom they are practicing.  It's discrimination and they are using their religion as a smoke screen.  

True American Pat
Freshman Silent
4.1.74  True American Pat  replied to  Dulay @4.1.50    7 years ago

That's Fine if your goal is to be confusing, deceptive and phony.......It's pretty obvious what the intent here is......

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1.75  Dulay  replied to  True American Pat @4.1.74    7 years ago
That's Fine if your goal is to be confusing, deceptive and phony.......It's pretty obvious what the intent here is......

Again, it isn't my fault if you internalize a broad statement. You may note that I didn't say ALL or even MOST, I just said ONLY. 

If you take a minute and review the comments in multiple seeds, you shouldn't have any problem noticing that the conservatives regularly make broad comments about 'leftists', 'Godless progressives' and 'left wing fascists'.

I made a factual broad statement about 'Christians', it's one you whether you believe it describes a part of your nature or not. Judging from your reaction, I'd say that it hit a nerve. 

True American Pat
Freshman Silent
4.1.76  True American Pat  replied to  Dulay @4.1.75    7 years ago

The only thing that was hit was my BS detector when you claim that you were not directing your statement toward me.....when you chose to make the statement.... in response to my post.........

The statement was silly anyway.......who thinks that when someone makes a reference to God......that they are always referencing the God of Jesus?.......everyone knows that other people worship other Gods......Christians just believe that there is only one true God.

This dialogue has went on about enough......it's off topic....and I suggest that we drop it.

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1.77  Dulay  replied to  True American Pat @4.1.76    7 years ago
The only thing that was hit was my BS detector when you claim that you were not directing your statement toward me.....when you chose to make the statement.... in response to my post.........

As a member of NT, you'll just have to get used to nuance and try not internalize everything. 

The statement was silly anyway.......who thinks that when someone makes a reference to God......that they are always referencing the God of Jesus?

EVERY freaking evangelical in this country, that's who.

Christians just believe that there is only one true God.

So do Muslims, Jews and many others. BTW, that sentence proved my point. 

This dialogue has went on about enough......it's off topic....and I suggest that we drop it.

Please proceed. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1.78  Dulay  replied to  True American Pat @4.1.46    7 years ago
Why bother......

Exactly, it's hard to refute facts, though all too many here try.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6  It Is ME    7 years ago

If a Muslim man can win 240 grand for being fired because he Fucking "Felt" delivering beer was against his religious beliefs in this country, cake man NEEDS to win for not doing a wedding cake due to religious beliefs, and cake man should be reimbursed for ALL the business he has lost because of this ludicrous lawsuit the courts decided to take on !

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
6.1  Willjay9  replied to  It Is ME @6    7 years ago

Really?! Apples to dump trucks! The Muslim EMPLOYEES won because Title VII of the Civil Rights Acts states employers must make accommodations for workers' religious beliefs unless doing so would impose "undue hardship" on the business, and seeing as though the company admitted they regularly let drivers switch their assignments it would have been more reasonable to accommodate the men's request, rather than firing them. 

Whereas the baker refused to serve the a certain member of the PUBLIC a product he normally makes for the PUBLIC everyday in a retail store that caters to PUBLIC accommodations due to HIS religious beliefs NOT the PUBLIC's

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Willjay9 @6.1    7 years ago
Whereas the baker refused to serve the a certain member of the PUBLIC a product

Religious belief is religious belief.angel

A client wanted the product, and the drivers refused to deliver the product to the client.

Apparently, the drivers were refusing every delivery of alcohol. Now, as has also been written on that subject, employee's were always accommodated in switching if there was someone to cover you. No harm no foul. But, these two just flat out refused any and All, with no coverage for their wants.

Circumstances and feelings only matter if it's a non-Christian religion huh.

By the way...isn't it against the law for companies to ask someone"s religious belief ?tough guy

Since that is the case, why is a company held liable for not accommodating what they aren't allowed to know. patience

The world has turned sideways and it’s becoming increasingly hard to keep up. stunned

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
8  Skrekk    7 years ago

Good article:

Melling also said the justices were “struggling to figure out the limiting principle” as to which products are sufficiently expressive so as to trigger protection by the First Amendment and which are not.

In one instance, Justice Elena Kagan said to Waggoner, “You have a view that a cake can be speech because it involves great skill and artistry. And I guess I'm wondering, if that's the case, you know, how do you draw a line? How do you decide, oh, of course, the chef and the baker are on one side … versus the hairstylist or the makeup artist? I mean, where would you put a tailor, a tailor who makes a wonderful suit of clothes? Where does that come in?”

Anthony Kreis, a law professor specializing in LGBTQ rights, said, “It seems to me that the four liberals and Justice Kennedy really weren’t buying into the idea this is compelled speech.”

“Even Justice Gorsuch seemed to be trying to draw some kind of principled line. Some of his questioning suggested to me there is a concern on the more conservative end of the court that a ruling in favor of the baker would eviscerate state and federal public accommodations law across the country,” Kreis said.

“The heart of Masterpiece Cakeshop case is that there is really no way to draw a line here," Kreis added.

Dulay
Professor Expert
8.1  Dulay  replied to  Skrekk @8    7 years ago

I read the whole thing yesterday. I really don't have a feel for WTF they are going to do [been wrong b4] but it sounded that they realized that the can of worms they would be opening is as bad as Pandora's box. 

The most ironic part is that Phillips' lawyer claimed that bakers are protected as 'artists' while Chefs are not. It cracked me up. One of the Justices actually said 'WHOA", can't remember which one...

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
8.1.1  Skrekk  replied to  Dulay @8.1    7 years ago

Yeah, there's literally no way to draw a distinction for this case which wouldn't massively undermine all non-discrimination laws in the country.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
9  Skrekk    7 years ago

Anyone who thinks Kennedy will rule for the bigoted baker is forgetting that not only has Kennedy written all the gay rights rulings since 1996, but his ruling in Romer v Evans was about Colorado's effort to remove gays from all civil rights protections.....in particular from public accommodations like bakeries.

If he ruled for the baker in this case he'd be directly undermining his own 1996 ruling which underlies all his subsequent gay rights rulings.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
10  Skrekk    7 years ago

It's rather ironic that bible-babblers and other conservatives were ranting about "state's rights" when their bans on mixed-race and same-sex marriage were struck down........but now they're ranting against the "right" of a state to enact and enforce non-discrimination laws.

It seems that "state's rights" are merely a rhetorical convenience (not surprising since states have powers not rights).

Dulay
Professor Expert
10.1  Dulay  replied to  Skrekk @10    7 years ago

I heard the term for that used today about Roy Moore. Situational ethics. I've always been particular to cognitive dissonance myself...

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
11  The Magic 8 Ball    7 years ago

this is an easy prediction to make.

there is no way the court will rule an artist must create art against their religious beliefs, or even against their will for that matter...  simply no way.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
11.1  Skrekk  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @11    7 years ago

Unfortunately for you SCOTUS already decided these issues in 1968 with the Newman v Piggie Park case.

Coincidentally the dumb bigots in both cases were Southern Baptists.

Rex Block
Freshman Silent
11.1.1  Rex Block  replied to  Skrekk @11.1    7 years ago

So in your warped and depraved little universe, everyone with a sincere and devout religious belief is a bigot...whatever that is supposed to mean??  With thinking like yours, no wonder the left wing nut jobs have lost the moral high ground, which, apparently, they never had to begin with. Why are you so obsessed with this case??

This isn't really a discrimination case, since it was set up to cause a court case. They sought out this out of the way bakery almost 50 miles from the airport on a divisive mission. They were sent there because Phillips had turned down a lesbian couple previously. They could have gone to countless other bakeries, which I think will enter into their siding with Phillips when the judgement comes down.

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
11.1.2  tomwcraig  replied to  Skrekk @11.1    7 years ago

Actually, the Supreme Court did not hear the actual case, just the portion regarding attorney's fees:

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
11.1.3  Skrekk  replied to  tomwcraig @11.1.2    7 years ago
Actually, the Supreme Court did not hear the actual case, just the portion regarding attorney's fees:

The court reviewed the defense arguments and determined that Bessinger's religious claims were "frivolous" and not presented in good faith, and thus Bessinger was liable for the plaintiff's attorney fees.

So in fact SCOTUS has directly addressed the issue of using religious views as an excuse to violate public accommodations laws.    That's why the case was repeatedly cited during oral arguments yesterday and in the plaintiff's & amici briefs.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
11.1.4  Skrekk  replied to  Rex Block @11.1.1    7 years ago
So in your warped and depraved little universe, everyone with a sincere and devout religious belief is a bigot...whatever that is supposed to mean??

Certainly the Southern Baptist cult to which Phillips belongs has a very long history of promoting bigotry and hatred of blacks, mixed-race couples, gays, women, Muslims, Jews, Catholics, etc.    So it's no surprise that Phillips is homophobic.

This isn't really a discrimination case, since it was set up to cause a court case. They sought out this out of the way bakery almost 50 miles from the airport on a divisive mission. They were sent there because Phillips had turned down a lesbian couple previously. 

Sorry but that's a lie which RWNJs have endlessly repeated.    It was the mother of one of the men who recommended the bakery - she lived in the immediate area and had used them before.

The other people who Phillips illegally discriminated against didn't make their complaints public and thus the plaintiffs had no way of knowing that Phillips was a dumb bigot.   However it wouldn't matter even if it were a "set up".......many of the protests against Jim Crow laws in the 1950s and 1960s were quite deliberate in that way.

Dulay
Professor Expert
11.1.5  Dulay  replied to  tomwcraig @11.1.2    7 years ago

Again, you REALLY should READ the ruling. The part of the statute about legal fees requires that the case brought was 'just' and showed a 'pattern of practice' [legal terms, try to keep up] . They had to REVIEW the case, find it JUST and based on a 'pattern of practice' and THEN rule that lawyers fees were appropriate. 

In short, they confirmed the lower court ruling with their review. 

Sheesh, it would be great if one of y'all had a legal mind and could curtail some of this nonsense. 

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
11.1.6  tomwcraig  replied to  Dulay @11.1.5    7 years ago

Where do you see anything that points to what you said.  Heck, I even went to the cited link and read what it said there and the Supreme Court ruling was about ONLY legal fees collected in a Class Action lawsuit under the Civil Rights Act:

Dulay
Professor Expert
11.1.7  Dulay  replied to  tomwcraig @11.1.6    7 years ago
Heck, I even went to the cited link and read what it said there and the Supreme Court ruling

STATUTE!

The part of the statute about legal fees requires that the case brought was 'just' and showed a 'pattern of practice' [legal terms, try to keep up].

Footnotes are a part of the ruling tom. THEN you have to READ the part of the STATUTE cited in the Footnotes.

BTFW, when the SCOTUS rules something is NOT 'unjust', it means they are ruling that it is JUST. Sheesh. 

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
11.1.8  tomwcraig  replied to  Dulay @11.1.7    7 years ago

They weren't even commenting on the ruling of the case, only the legal fees; which is what my point was.  They were not hearing the case of whether the actual Civil Suit was a just ruling or not; but whether the lawyer could collect fees from the Plaintiff in the ruling.  THAT was what the Supreme Court ruling was about.  Look at the facts of the case, instead of just the statute as it was the interpretation of the statute about legal fees that was disputed not the actual Civil Case ruling.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
11.1.9  Skrekk  replied to  tomwcraig @11.1.8    7 years ago

From your citation:

Indeed, this is not even a borderline case, for the respondents interposed defenses so patently frivolous that a denial of counsel fees to the petitioners would be manifestly inequitable. Thus, for example, the

"fact that the defendants had discriminated both at [the] drive-ins and at [the sandwich shop] was . . . denied . . . [although] the defendants could not and did not undertake at the trial to support their denials. Includable in the same category are defendants' contention, twice pleaded after the decision in   Katzenbach v. McClung,   379 U. S. 294 , . . . that the Act was unconstitutional on the very grounds foreclosed by McClung, and defendants' contention that the Act was invalid because it 'contravenes the will of God' and constitutes an interference with the 'free exercise of the Defendant's religion.'"

The first part is from the SCOTUS ruling, and the indented paragraph is from the appeals court ruling.   So it's clear that SCOTUS found frivolous the attempt to use "free exercise" as a defense against a generally applicable public accommodations law.

And in fact the Piggie Park case (aka Ollie's Barbecue) is mentioned several times by the justices and by the attorneys.   Here are just two of several referring to the same issue, the fact that the court has consistently rejected free exercise and free expression claims in this very context.

MS. WAGGONER: This Court has never compelled speech in the context of race, but if it were ever to do so -
JUSTICE SOTOMAYOR: Oh, it didn't in Newman versus Piggie?
MS. WAGGONER: Not in terms of compelling speech.
JUSTICE SOTOMAYOR: There was a -- he claimed that he was religious, that he opposed serving blacks because it mixed the races, and we basically refused both his free expression and his free exercise clauses. So are you saying that your rule now would trump protection against race discrimination?

[..]
MR. COLE: I think if the discrimination is based on a -- a protected characteristic, yes, they -- they can't say because I object to the message that equal treatment sends, right? Piggie Park objected to the message that equal treatment sent. To serve a -- a black person in a segregated -previously segregated restaurant sent a tremendous message, a message that Piggie Park sincerely religiously objected to. And this Court said that's a frivolous claim in that context.

Dulay
Professor Expert
11.1.10  Dulay  replied to  Skrekk @11.1.9    7 years ago

I'm starting to think that trying to explain this to tom is the equivalent to pounding sand. 

Rex Block
Freshman Silent
11.1.11  Rex Block  replied to  Skrekk @11.1.4    7 years ago
It was the mother of one of the men who recommended the bakery - she lived in the immediate area and had used them before.

Not true, they were there because he had previously turned down a lesbian couple. Try to keep your facts straight.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
11.1.12  Skrekk  replied to  Rex Block @11.1.11    7 years ago
Not true, they were there because he had previously turned down a lesbian couple.

You'll need to provide a citation to support your false claim.   All of this is a matter of public record and nowhere does the couple make any statements which support your false claim - not in any of the court proceedings or anywhere in the news media.    Your claim is simply a lie spread by RWNJs.

However it wouldn't matter even one bit if your claim were true.   All that matters is that the dumb bigot violated the law.    The customers' motive for going to that particular bakery is completely irrelevant. 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
12  Skrekk    7 years ago

This was a very good response by the attorney for the gay couple:

Once you open this up, once you say generally applicable regulations of conduct have exceptions when someone raises a religious objection, or in this case have objections where someone raises a speech objection, you're in a world in which every man is a law unto himself.

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
12.1  tomwcraig  replied to  Skrekk @12    7 years ago

And, walking into someplace and FORCING your views on another is not being a law unto yourself? 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
12.1.1  Gordy327  replied to  tomwcraig @12.1    7 years ago

Who is forcing their views onto anyone?

lady in black
Professor Quiet
12.1.2  lady in black  replied to  tomwcraig @12.1    7 years ago

And said owner of business is forcing his views onto his customers by refusing service after a 20 second conversation.

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
12.1.3  Phoenyx13  replied to  tomwcraig @12.1    7 years ago
And, walking into someplace and FORCING your views on another is not being a law unto yourself?

wait a minute, expecting a public business owner - who voluntarily opened their public business and voluntarily submitted themselves to secular anti-discrimination laws - to do their job is forcing a view onto them ?

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
12.1.4  Skrekk  replied to  tomwcraig @12.1    7 years ago

Hmmmm......if the dumb bigot didn't want gay couples as customers all he needed to do was run his bakery as a private members-only club and deny membership to anyone his cult teaches him to hate like gays, Jews, blacks, Muslims, Catholics, women, etc.   

He can still do that even after he loses in court again.

Note that's how Lush Dimbulb is able to enjoy his membership at the whites-only & gentiles-only Everglades Club.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
12.2  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Skrekk @12    7 years ago
you're in a world in which every man is a law unto himself.

that is already true enough.

If I don't want to work for someone "for any reason"   (regardless)

I do not work for them. it is very simple like that and no one on this earth will ever change that.

I am a builder, some could say everyone has a right to a home, but they also have the right to find another builder.

don't like the bakery having rights? find another bakery.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
12.2.1  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @12.2    7 years ago

in all of my yrs as a builder = not once have I worked for a lawyer.  I refused every lawyer every time and always will.

that rule is non-negotiable, not even SCOTUS could change my mind about that.

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
12.2.2  Explorerdog  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @12.2.1    7 years ago

Not a problem unless you refused only Jewish lawyers which makes it discriminatory. As a builder you might be wise not to work for the trump family unless you prefer to work for free.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
12.2.3  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Explorerdog @12.2.2    7 years ago
Not a problem unless you refused only Jewish lawyers which makes it discriminatory

it is never a problem.

I work for who I choose to work for... the rest can go fish.

if I were to think they wanted to make it a federal case out of it?

I would just triple my rates and demand half down up front :)

True American Pat
Freshman Silent
12.2.4  True American Pat  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @12.2    7 years ago

I wonder.....in the off chance that they do win......will they force have him to bake the cake?......

Tessylo
Professor Principal
12.2.5  Tessylo  replied to  True American Pat @12.2.4    7 years ago

Nope but the world will know what a bigot this loser is and the winners may get a substantial cash settlement.  

lady in black
Professor Quiet
12.2.6  lady in black  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @12.2    7 years ago

The baker broke the law, period, end of story.  

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
12.2.7  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  lady in black @12.2.6    7 years ago
end of story

after the supreme court rules in the bakers favor, which they will, then it will be "end of story.  

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
12.2.8  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  True American Pat @12.2.4    7 years ago
will they force have him to bake the cake?

who wants to eat a cake that was forced to be baked?

ya know what they say about pissin off the cook  :)

lady in black
Professor Quiet
12.2.9  lady in black  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @12.2.7    7 years ago

And when they rule in favor of the couple that will be the nail in the coffin for the bigot fake christian baker.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
12.2.10  lady in black  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @12.2.8    7 years ago

That's not the point, the point is the baker broke the law.  If he doesn't want to bake cakes for same sex couples then he better make his bakery a private club.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
12.2.11  Skrekk  replied to  lady in black @12.2.9    7 years ago
And when they rule in favor of the couple that will be the nail in the coffin for the bigot fake christian baker.

It will also be the nail in the coffin for all the similar claims by dumb bigots like the florist in WA.

The funny part is that the bigots are expecting a different result this time despite SCOTUS having rejected similar claims ever since 1878 in Reynolds v US.    Simply put as a constitutional matter, religious views have never been permitted as an excuse to violate a generally applicable law.    In Reynolds the court said this (a phrase reiterated by Scalia in 1990):

To permit this would be to make the professed doctrines of religious belief superior to the law of the land, and, in effect, to permit every citizen to become a law unto himself. Government could exist only in name under such circumstances.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
12.2.12  Skrekk  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @12.2    7 years ago
don't like the bakery having rights? find another bakery.

I know, right?    And why couldn't those black folks just find a different lunch counter to sit at?   Why did they demand to be served in Lester Maddox's whites-only restaurant?

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
13  Skrekk    7 years ago

Even Gorsuch seems to understand the civil rights issue:

MS. WAGGONER: Mr. Phillips is looking at not the "who" but the "what" in these instances, what the message is. And for 25 years -

JUSTICE GORSUCH: Well, actually, counsel, that seems to be a point of contention. The state seems to concede that if it were the message, your client would have a right to refuse. But if it -- the objection is to the person, that's when the discrimination law kicks in. That's footnote 8 of the Colorado Court of Appeals' decision. I know you know this.    So what do you say to that, that actually what is happening here may superficially look like it's about the message but it's really about the person's identity?

Dulay
Professor Expert
13.1  Dulay  replied to  Skrekk @13    7 years ago

I'm so glad that you didn't post Waggoner's answer. None of them care what the lawyer's answer was. I bet they don't like that quote from their hand picked Justice though. 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
13.1.1  Skrekk  replied to  Dulay @13.1    7 years ago

Her response was so disjointed and non-responsive to the question that I suspect she didn't understand what Gorsuch was asking.

However I have no doubt that Gorsuch will vote for the bigot.

Rex Block
Freshman Silent
13.1.2  Rex Block  replied to  Skrekk @13.1.1    7 years ago

So will Kennedy, and I can't wait to see the butt hurt reactions

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
13.1.3  Skrekk  replied to  Rex Block @13.1.2    7 years ago

LOL.   You're obviously unaware that Kennedy has written all the gay rights rulings since 1996.....and he wrote a concurrence in "Christian Legal Society v Martinez" where he states that the court makes no distinction between status and conduct in this area.