╌>

Which Is The Truth.........Does Man Need God To Exist or Does God Need Man To Exist?

Category:  Religion & Ethics

By:  docphil  •  6 years ago  •  216 comments

Which Is The Truth.........Does Man Need God To Exist or Does God Need Man To Exist?

While I was at NV, I occasionally took a break from writing about politics and switched to my other favorite topic, religion. Since I began writing here at NT, I have commented on a few articles concerning religion, but have not written any articles on the topic. It is obvious, however, that other than the debates we have over the political arena, religion or differences in religion, or the lack of religion continue to be the subject of considerable debate.

It tends to confirm what my parents told me when I was a child, eons upon eons ago. If you don't want people to always be angry with you, don't talk to them about your views on politics or religion. No matter what you say, you're bound to offend someone. Obviously, I wasn't really good at listening to my parents, and most of my life has been spent "stirring the pot". We may not be able to change each other's minds, but we can certainly debate each of our positions.

My discussion on religion is going to look at my personal journey and the reason why I have arrived at this point in my life. I will start by saying that I have no objection to any individual being a believer or a non-believer. That is a personal choice, come to by our own individual journeys. I do have a problem with any individual who denigrates any individual's belief or non-belief system because it does not agree with their personal theology or lack of theology. 

Let me start with my theoretical construct that guides my system of observations as it relates to religion. It takes the form of the question that is the title of this piece. Which is the truth......Does man need God to exist or does God need man to exist? My journey has led me to the personal realization of the latter. Without man, there is no God. God is a product of man's mind and specific needs in both the psychology and physiology of man.

A little bit of background on me. I am a 71 year old man with two doctorates {in psychology and education} and masters degrees in psychology and history. As an undergraduate I majored in psychology and minored in comparative religions. I was born into an immigrant family who practiced Orthodox Judaism and was brought up in a family who were conscientious followers of the faith. As a child and youth, I believed in what I was exposed to, the unerring wisdom of our faith and the strictures that our faith demanded. It was assumed that I was going to enter the Rabbinate after I would attend Yeshiva University as an undergraduate. As I went into high school, however, I began to question much of what I had been taught. Why were we still following a book that was written more than two millennia previously? How could that book been of divine inspiration when so much cruelty was not only accepted but initiated by God? How could rape, slavery, massacres and all the rest be treated so cavalierly? Why was I following rules that may have made sense 2500 years ago but made no sense now? How could our supposedly omnipotent god allow the Holocaust or the other holocausts of history? None of it made sense. My decision was to go to a secular university and study not only my religion, but other religions also.

My university experience made me even more doubtful of religion. The holy books were replete with ludicrous statements.....a virgin birth...... a god that sends a god to man to allow the god to die for the sins that man did in the Garden of Eden which were preordained by god {doesn't get goofier than that}.....a rationale for killing those who believe in ostensibly the same god as you but worship in a different way.....a rejection of 2699 other religions while declaring that the only religion that the follower believes in is the only true religion. Every one else follows false gods.

Those studies moved me away from organized religion but didn't end the journey. The questions still remained. Now I started wondering about faith versus science. Science kept winning. My mind accepted proof and was becoming increasingly repelled by blind faith. I started to wonder why if god really existed he didn't just end the debate and show up one day and make his presence known to the world. In this age of instant communication, we would all know the truth of his existence immediately......one real miracle could do it. After all there has never been a time that the entire world saw or heard directly from god......Jesus was probably the closest, but he was a Rabbi with only a few followers during his lifetime and what we know about him is almost all second hand. Where has god been for the past 2000 years? It became obvious to me. Nowhere! He was a figment of the human imagination. God was the unprovable.

Four revelations brought me to this conclusion. The first was the gift of sentience. We are the only creatures on this planet that have an understanding of our own mortality. That understanding leads to the fear of the unknown. We fear death more than anything else. We don't want to believe that after life, there is nothing. I always find it interesting that we can accept that before life, we are nothing, but I'm getting off topic. That fear of death has been the primary source of creation of religion. All religions have rites and mysticisms related to what happens to people after their death. It might be the belief in an afterlife, the resurrection, the spirit merging with nature, Valhalla, Elysium, or ones own private planet. Religion offers comfort that death is not final. That man lives on. It is almost like we have a god gene, or more accurately a death gene that comes with sentience that forces us into these belief systems. Even the prehistoric Neanderthals had burial rites and beliefs.

The second revelation was the absurdity of how we have viewed holy books throughout history. Depending on the religion the books either came directly from god, were divinely inspired by god, or were written by people who had intimate knowledge of what god wanted. When these books are looked at without the obligation of blind faith, they are fascinating documents. The are compilations of history, myth, legal, and health strictures that were generally written by very well educated individuals to influence people and bring converts to their religion. In made no difference whether these books were Jewish, Christian, Muslim, Greek, Roman, or any of the Eastern religions. The had wonderful suggestions on life, health, law, and morality for people. They were difficult to enforce, however, in a world populated by barbarians and ignorance. The most efficient and effective way to get people to follow these new strictures was to create a god that was more powerful than the gods that the "others" worshipped. It was the "my god is stronger than your god approach". We see it in the 10 plagues of Egypt, in Jesus performing "impossible miracles", etc. We then see these religions co-opting other religions in order to make converts more comfortable in their new religion. The stories of Adam and Eve appeared in most ancient cultures, Noah and the Ark was Gilgamesh, the Virgin Birth was part of Roman belief. Even dates were changed. Most notably the birth of Christ was changed to coincide with the Roman winter festivals. The "holy books" were really sales brochures.

The third revelation was the simplest. If there was a god, why would that god care how a person believed or didn't believe. A truly compassionate and omnipotent god would only care that we care for one another and try to improve the human condition. There would be no religious wars, no ethnic cleansing, no holocausts, no inquisitions. A true god wouldn't care who we married, what we did in the bedroom, or what we ate or didn't eat. These strictures were proof of non-existence more clearly than they proved existence.

Finally, watching religious institutions become more concerned with wielding political power and gaining wealth than ministering to all those who need their ministration for one reason or another convinced me that we are talking about a business that is frequently operated by con men and women rather than people of belief. Watching a church condemn homosexuality and abortion but defend pedophiles in their midst convinced me that many do not enter the clergy to praise their flock's god but to defile it. If there was a god, there would certainly be punishment for those here on earth and salvation here for the children. But there often isn't.

I do understand that many people feel the need for faith. That is their right and their current need. I do note that non-belief is the fastest growing group of individuals in the world. There are estimates that almost 25% of the world's population are non-believers. As science progresses, the number of non-believers appears to be reaching a critical mass. When that mass is obtained, man will still exist, but god will more than likely go the way of the almost 2600 other "false" religions of history. Without faith, god cannot exist. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  JohnRussell    6 years ago

I appreciate your well written and well thought out article. 

In truth though, no one knows whether God exists , for sure, or not, and no one ever will. 

No one even knows, for sure, whether or not God , should 'He' exist, cares about individual human beings. There is no "evidence" of that, other than biased anecdotal recollections.  We also have politicians and athletes say with some regularity that God is on THEIR side, although why God would answer the prayers of one team and not the others will be a lasting mystery. 

My feeling is that we don't understand God, and that the nature and purpose of God may in fact be forever beyond our understanding. 

Human religions are cultural expressions of the need we have to try and explain things, including why we are here. They are harmless until they are abused and exploited by the unscrupulous. 

I watch arguments about the existence of God with a tired bemusement.  People are arguing over something they will never ever know, no matter what side of the argument they are on. 

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
1.1  lennylynx  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago

No one ever will??  Nonsense.  We can't know for sure that there is not a god, but if there IS a god, it definitely CAN be proven.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  lennylynx @1.1    6 years ago

Absolutely not. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.2  Gordy327  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    6 years ago
Absolutely not.

Why not?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.2    6 years ago

There is no "proof" of God that could not be doubted. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.4  Gordy327  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.3    6 years ago

Of course not. Any proof brought to bear can be challenged and scrutinized. This is evident when theist claim the universe, earth, and even humans is "proof" of god. But if a god did exist, then it's logical to assume that specific evidence (not vague claims or generalizations) would also exist pointing to said god. As it stands, there is no evidence for any god nor does any such evidence or proof seem to be forthcoming.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.5  JohnRussell  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.4    6 years ago

God is by definition a supernatural being.  We have no way to "prove" supernatural occurrences.  

Let's say God appeared over the United Nations building and declared that either humans make peace once and for all or He would destroy the earth. 

Many people would think it was a  mind trick, aliens from another world with unknown powers, or some other manifestation less than "God". 

Sure many people would believe it was God, but many wouldn't , and there would be no "proof". 

We exist within nature, and cannot prove the existence of the supernatural (outside of nature). 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.6  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.5    6 years ago
God is by definition a supernatural being.  We have no way to "prove" supernatural occurrences.

God defined how?   Makes a big difference!   Note also that 'supernatural' is simply that which we cannot scientifically explain.   It is a weasel word - largely meaningless.   Science continues to expand natural into the realm of what was supernatural.   Stating God is a supernatural being is basically saying God is 'unknown'.

We exist within nature, and cannot prove the existence of the supernatural (outside of nature). 

That is apologetic nonsense.   It is a way to hide God in a safe (purely semantic) place away from intellectual scrutiny.

If we define God as the sentient creator of the known universe then I can offer a test that, if addressed, would convince quite a few that the God candidate has made a strong case for its existence.

• Create a clone of our moon and have the moon orbit our moon (something we would never see).
  • Predict the exact DJIA that will be achieved at noon EST on a specific day (maybe a week into the future).
  • Cure everyone of all diseases and afflictions.
  • Let us each talk directly with a chosen departed loved one (verifying the loved one based on our knowledge of same).

This would not prove God but the evidence would be quite impressive.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.7  Gordy327  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.5    6 years ago

TiG addressed that far better than I could. So I'll defer to him in this instance.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1.1.8  sixpick  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.2    6 years ago
if there IS a god, it definitely CAN be proven. 
Absolutely not.

Why not?

Do you believe there is a God?  Granted it is nearly impossible to prove a negative in many cases.  How does one prove we won't be burning up in 10 million years, so how can one prove there isn't a God?

Do some of us have some sort of insight others don't have?  Not defending whether there is or isn't a God, but if one knows, I'd like for them to not just tell me science has proven them correct when they say there isn't one, but fill me in on exactly how they've come to have knowledge no one that I know possesses.

There are so many questions about life and death and I think anyone who has the answers hasn't been born yet.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.9  Gordy327  replied to  sixpick @1.1.8    6 years ago
Do you believe there is a God?

No.

Granted it is nearly impossible to prove a negative in many cases.

That's because proving a negative is a logical fallacy. It is up to the one making the affirmative claim to prove it.

How does one prove we won't be burning up in 10 million years,

We'll be burning up in about 5 billion years.

so how can one prove there isn't a God?

Logical fallacy. See first statement.

Do some of us have some sort of insight others don't have?

Some theists seem to think so.

Not defending whether there is or isn't a God, but if one knows, I'd like for them to not just tell me science has proven them correct when they say there isn't one, but fill me in on exactly how they've come to have knowledge no one that I know possesses.

Science doesn't deal with the supernatural.

There are so many questions about life and death and I think anyone who has the answers hasn't been born yet.

That's why religion makes up BS as it goes along, as a means to "answer" such questions. While it might be emotionally satisfying, it is also intellectually dishonest.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
1.1.10  lennylynx  replied to  sixpick @1.1.8    6 years ago

What questions?  I don't know about any questions regarding life and death.  We are biological life forms that live and die.  When we die we cease to exist.  Our bodies, including our brains where our sense of self resides, rot and decay.  What questions do you have about this?

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.11  epistte  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.3    6 years ago

You can doubt the theory of gravity or germ theory but it doesn't mean that doubt is logical. 

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1.1.12  sixpick  replied to  lennylynx @1.1.10    6 years ago

So you've never questioned your existence on earth?  You've always known you're born and then you die and there is nothing more or less than that?  Seems you have some company I assume may believe this as well.  Never questioned life.  Never questioned death.  Born with the knowledge you have expressed in your comment, I assume? 

Sorry, I have questioned life and death because I wasn't as fortunate as you to be born with all the answers, programmed in me from birth.  I had to learn to think, reason, rationalize and come to conclusions.  I can't imagine not understanding the desire to find answers to the questions of life and death for humans here on earth with religion promising eternal life after death.  We all know the scientific beginning and end of a living organism.  That's fundamental knowledge.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1.1.13  sixpick  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.9    6 years ago
That's because proving a negative is a logical fallacy. It is up to the one making the affirmative claim to prove it.

Glad you brought that up, Gordy, since it relates to many of the accusations going on today, but the accusations are expected to be proven untrue by many on the Left instead of the Left proving them to be true.  Which way do you want it?

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1.1.14  sixpick  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.9    6 years ago
Not defending whether there is or isn't a God, but if one knows, I'd like for them to not just tell me science has proven them correct when they say there isn't one, but fill me in on exactly how they've come to have knowledge no one that I know possesses.
Science doesn't deal with the supernatural.

Then how have you come to the conclusion to base your beliefs and that is what they are, beliefs?

DocPhil
Sophomore Quiet
1.1.15  author  DocPhil  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.6    6 years ago

One of the problems that I have with the existence of God is that miracles attributed to him in first person accounts are always personalized and not for public verification. How can you verify that the person spoke to God or performed a miracle in his name when it is impossible to determine whether the person is sincere ,a person hearing imaginary voices,or a charlatan bilking his victims.  Wouldn't God let us all know what he's doing?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.16  sandy-2021492  replied to  DocPhil @1.1.15    6 years ago

Ditto.  But if you question that, you lack faith in God, and therefore must suffer for eternity.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.17  TᵢG  replied to  DocPhil @1.1.15    6 years ago

Especially given how easy it is for the human mind to adjust memories to conform to beliefs.   Especially as time passes and especially if one is actively engaged in promoting a savior.

We have people (even here on NT) claiming experiences (one just claimed having several physical encounters with Jesus).   Think of how many 'eyewitness' accounts of miracles must occur on a daily basis even today.   I suspect we are nearly identical to our ancestors of 2000 years ago and that they were also quite capable of fertile imaginations (feel free to supply the various psychological factors such as confirmation bias) and thus the ability to exaggerate their hero.

Wouldn't God let us all know what he's doing?

Agreed.   God ostensibly provides His word and thus clearly seeks to communicate.  Yet, in result, His creatures interpret His word in contradictory fashions.  It is, in fact, difficult to find two people who agree when one goes below the fundamentals.   

So, empirically, God either wants everyone to be confused about His message (no possible way of identifying the single true Word) or God is a truly horrible project manager.    So many contradictions to bring up ... (stopping short).

DocPhil
Sophomore Quiet
1.1.18  author  DocPhil  replied to  epistte @1.1.11    6 years ago

Theory can be proven. Would anyone who doubts the theory of gravity be willing to jump off a 20 story building to prove the theory wrong? Of course not! It may be theory but it is proven theory. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
1.1.19  arkpdx  replied to  DocPhil @1.1.18    6 years ago

Of course it is not the theory of gravity but the law of gravity. Oops 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.20  TᵢG  replied to  DocPhil @1.1.18    6 years ago
Theory can be proven.  Would anyone who doubts the theory of gravity be willing to jump off a 20 story building to prove the theory wrong? Of course not! It may be theory but it is proven theory. 

The theory of gravity is not:  masses attract (that is the law of gravity).   It is empirical observation.   One can prove that under stated conditions masses will attract - per your noted experiment.   But that is not proving the theory.

The scientific theory of gravity explains the underlying dynamics of how masses attract.  Currently, the theory of gravity, per se, is essentially Einstein's general theory of Relativity - in particular the curvature of space-time by mass.  That explanation may be entirely accurate as far as we can tell, but there is always the possibility of new empirical data emerging that is not explained by the theory.   Note:  one of the most cherished objectives is to expand ToR and particle physics into a unified theory that consistently explains gravity at both the cosmological and quantum levels (among many other things).

In this regard, scientific theories are not proofs.  Einstein's theory of gravity (Relativity) is not a proof.   Scientific theories are formal empirical observations that are both predictive and have a method of falsifiability - a method to continually test against empirical observation so as to detect a flaw (i.e. an opportunity to learn something new) in the theory.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.21  TᵢG  replied to  sixpick @1.1.14    6 years ago
Then how have you come to the conclusion to base your beliefs and that is what they are, beliefs?

Offer an example of a Gordy-belief you have in mind.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.22  TᵢG  replied to  arkpdx @1.1.19    6 years ago
Of course it is not the theory of gravity but the law of gravity.

True, and a scientific law is essentially a summary of experimental results.   It is an observation that has held true for so long that it is accepted as fact (although recognized that it could be wrong in certain circumstances).    One can prove that the law of gravity still holds true but one cannot prove that the law of gravity is true under all circumstances.

And there is a theory of gravitation - that currently is Einstein's General Theory of Relativity.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.23  CB  replied to  DocPhil @1.1.15    6 years ago

Private Notes is not working on this article, or it is working UNSAT.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.24  Gordy327  replied to  sixpick @1.1.14    6 years ago

I have made no mention of my beliefs.

Glad you brought that up, Gordy, since it relates to many of the accusations going on today, but the accusations are expected to be proven untrue by many on the Left instead of the Left proving them to be true. Which way do you want it?

That makes no sense. What "accusations" are you referring to? And what does Left/right have to do with anything?

So you've never questioned your existence on earth?

No. Why would I? I already know I exist as a product of biological processes. There's nothing unique or special about my existence.

You've always known you're born and then you die and there is nothing more or less than that?

Yeah, pretty much.

Seems you have some company I assume may believe this as well. Never questioned life. Never questioned death.

What's there to question. We're born, we live, and we eventually die. Simple as that. 

I can't imagine not understanding the desire to find answers to the questions of life and death for humans here on earth with religion promising eternal life after death.

it seems you either want some deep philosophical meaning or emotional comfort in the idea of life after death.

We all know the scientific beginning and end of a living organism. That's fundamental knowledge.

And that's simple reality. No amount of belief or wishful thinking will change that. It looks like you just answered your own question about life and death.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.1.25  igknorantzrulz  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.20    6 years ago
One can prove that under stated conditions masses will attract - per your noted experiment.

Being an introverted solo red cup consumer, I'm often attracted to the masses, but must remain a social butterfly as people can only handle my annoyance in short chronological increments. When fisticuffs arise from political "debate" at my local watering holes, I quick switch to Religion, religiously, cause God told me to spread the word, thus why I found my calling as an Atheist School teachers aide, who receives instructive directions from my God Prodded Scrolls, found on my

GPS (God Prodded Scrolls) Finder,

that gets me more lost than usual, but usual is # un to me.

I N Joy putting the Doubting Abbey    in normal,

cuz in things unrelated, I find the most things relative to distance, are too far fetched for my dog to hunt, for the boomerang, that via capillary attraction, finds me repulsive in a anticlimactic climax of spiritual awakening, that I sleep through, while dreaming of insomnia, that keeps me a wake at night, so of course, I dream of it daily, like it was a genie lifted lamp that cant illuminate the darkness that the misuse of Religious B sided leafs, are A manipulative force, to be wreckoned with.

b sides a sides, who doesn't enjoy defying the laws of physics...

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1.1.26  Skrekk  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.5    6 years ago

So how does a sky fairy or other supernatural creature interact with nature?

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1.1.27  Skrekk  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.22    6 years ago
a scientific law is essentially a summary of experimental results.   It is an observation that has held true for so long that it is accepted as fact (although recognized that it could be wrong in certain circumstances).

Or rather a scientific law is something which has been observed without any contrary examples.

Scientific theories are formal empirical observations that are both predictive and have a method of falsifiability - a method to continually test against empirical observation so as to detect a flaw (i.e. an opportunity to learn something new) in the theory.

I'd phrase it that a scientific hypothesis is necessarily falsifiable, and a scientific theory is an explanation for a set of empirical observations and non-falsified hypotheses.    The theory thus changes as that set changes whenever an hypothesis is proven wrong.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.28  TᵢG  replied to  Skrekk @1.1.27    6 years ago
Or rather a scientific law is something which has been observed without any contrary examples.

Certainly.  But add the criteria of many observations (basically time).   If we have observed a particular behavior over countless experiments (and time) we have the basis for a scientific law.

I'd phrase it that a scientific hypothesis is necessarily falsifiable, and a scientific theory is an explanation for a set of empirical observations and non-falsified hypotheses.    The theory thus changes as that set changes whenever an hypothesis is proven wrong.

True, but a scientific theory is typically more than the sum of its component hypotheses - it is a value-added synthesis of hypotheses rather than a simple union.   Falsifiablity of a scientific theory is based on predictions of the theory itself (i.e. the answers yielded by the formalism) and not limited to strictly falsifying one or more component hypotheses.   

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1.1.29  Skrekk  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.28    6 years ago
True, but a scientific theory is typically more than the sum of its component hypotheses - it is a value-added synthesis of hypotheses rather than a simple union.   Falsifiablity of a scientific theory is based on predictions of the theory itself (i.e. the answers yielded by the formalism) and not limited to strictly falsifying one or more component hypotheses.

Sure, but I wasn't trying to be pedantic with my comment.   While theories are technically falsifiable particularly if an experiment proved a central tenet wrong, it's usually hypotheses which are tested and discarded if falsified.   The domain also matters since theories in physics are a lot simpler in a sense than in something like biology, so if gravitational lensing weren't observed it would directly undermine general relativity, but if the Lenski experiment hadn't resulted in bacteria developing a novel trait it's unlikely that it would undermine evolution much if at all.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.30  TᵢG  replied to  Skrekk @1.1.29    6 years ago
While theories are technically falsifiable particularly if an experiment proved a central tenet wrong, it's usually hypotheses which are tested and discarded if falsified.

Agreed.   And of course if the underlying hypotheses are falsified no scientific theory emerges.   I thought you were referring to falsification after the theory was in existence.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.31  CB  replied to  CB @1.1.23    6 years ago

My apologies for using webdings in my comments inappropriately. In Firefox, text appears. In Chrome, not so much!

Private Notes is not working on this article, or it is working UNSAT.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2  TᵢG    6 years ago

Quite a few nods of agreement from me as I read your interesting and relevant article.   Nicely done.

If I were to summarize my view, probably the most succinct statement is that human beings seek comfort.   Uncertainty is no doubt a major discomfort - we do not work well with unknowns.   Ancient people were probably far more comfortable 'knowing' that the volcano is simply the god Vulcan showing his displeasure or that thunder and lightning is an angry Zeus than not having clue one what was going on.   But certainly, as you note, the single biggest discomfort is death being final.  Note: not the event of death, but the finality of death.  

Religions have survived even to 2018 because, IMO, they bring comfort with the absolute best killer promise - death is not final.   We need not suffer the loss of a loved one so much because, after all, we will see them again - at the best resort ever.

As a psychologist, would you be able to maybe elaborate on the psychology of discomfort as it applies to religion?    Do you see it as a major (if not THE) reason why religions continue even to modern times?

DocPhil
Sophomore Quiet
2.1  author  DocPhil  replied to  TᵢG @2    6 years ago

We all want to feel comfortable in our lives. Religion gives people a painless way to both alleviate discomfort and find absolution for deeds we know are wrong. Believing that acceptance of a higher power will give you ultimate forgiveness is a powerful religious selling point. We only have to look at the number of jailhouse conversions to substantiate my point.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  DocPhil @2.1    6 years ago

I fully agree.

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.2  CB  replied to  DocPhil @2.1    6 years ago

Religion gives people a painless way to both alleviate discomfort and find absolution for deeds we know are wrong.

Friend DocPhil, please describe for me how living out faith in God is "painless." Accordingly, if there is no God-then we do not need "absolution" we can eat, drink, and make merry,. . . or worse. Skeptics say that having God to aid me through the day is a "Crutch" to that I ask in what way? Since the Skeptic can find no trace of God in me, then what else is there I am leaning on?

It is simply me doing it all - the same, or differently, than the skeptic.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.3  TᵢG  replied to  CB @2.1.2    6 years ago
Skeptics say that having God to aid me through the day is a "Crutch" to that I ask in what way?

Rather than attempt to presume your specific circumstances here is a comment in general.   Religion is a 'crutch' for many in that it gives hope (regardless of how correct the promises) and answers (regardless of the quality) to those who need it.   Fear of the finality of death, remorse that departed loved ones are forever lost, etc. is comforted by religion.

In ancient times, religion explained what could not be explained - typically by assigning a specific God to observed (scary) natural phenomena.   Today it gives hope (e.g. death is not final) and answers (e.g. a particular moral code) to those who accept the veracity of the religion on faith alone.   

Accordingly, if there is no God-then we do not need "absolution" we can eat, drink, and make merry,. . . or worse. 

The irreligious do not go about whoring, drinking, murdering, stealing, etc. any more than the religious.   Not ascribing to a particular religion to guide their behavior, the irreligious moderate their extremes through common sense, personal morality, societal norms and legal consequences.

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.4  CB  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.3    6 years ago

those who accept the veracity of the religion on faith alone.

Friend TiG, what gives you the idea that religious people can not direct their lives by faith alone? Many people have done great things based on spiritual faith! Ancients and Moderns.  Moreover, having faith causes the acquiring of experiences based on those actions and attitudes.  Our experiences are equally as rich or even beyond, depending on the person.

The irreligious do not go about whoring, drinking, murdering, stealing, etc. any more than the religious. 

My point here is not to compare irreligious people with religious people. Though, the whole point of faith is to approach or achieve a higher standard of living leaving some actions and attitudes behind—whether successful at reaching the apex of one's faith or not! Yes, "bad actors" can abound and they do cross lines into areas not reserved for them. It would be nice to be able to stop them, but that is not the way it is presently.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.5  TᵢG  replied to  CB @2.1.4    6 years ago
what gives you the idea that religious people can not direct their lives by faith alone?

Not sure I understand the question.  I was addressing the notion of how religion can be used as a crutch.    So what does it mean to direct one's life by 'faith alone'?    Do you mean faith without religion?   If so, faith in what .. a personal 'religion' of sorts?   

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.6  CB  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.3    6 years ago
Religion is a 'crutch' for many in that it gives hope (regardless of how correct the promises) and answers (regardless of the quality) to those who need it.

Let me indulge this statement for a moment: Are there no crutches in the world?? Is life simply a dry treatise? Of course not!

It does seem that these kinds of online discussions go off-track because of the varying factors in how some individual groups express faith (peacefully, forcefully, or violently). We can not speak to all three "classes" in the same breath all the time. And, yet 'bad actors' of faith predominately are the loudest groups driving these discussions.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.7  TᵢG  replied to  CB @2.1.6    6 years ago
Are there no crutches in the world??

I am missing your point.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.8  Gordy327  replied to  CB @2.1.2    6 years ago
Skeptics say that having God to aid me through the day is a "Crutch" to that I ask in what way?

Mentally and emotionally. Kind of like a child having a favorite blanket (think Linus from Peanuts).

if there is no God-then we do not need "absolution" we can eat, drink, and make merry,.

What's wrong with that?

. . or worse.

In what way? Most people, religio0us and non-religious alike, already know that there are some things they should not do, like stealing and killing. That's also common sense. If someone needs a god to keep them from doing that, then they have serious issues.

Are there no crutches in the world?? 

Sure there are. But crutches are tools and are supposed to help one "get back on their feet," so to speak. Once that occurs, the crutch is no longer needed and can be tossed aside. Overreliance on a crutch can actually make an individual weaker and more dependent on it. Not all "crutches" are good either.

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.9  CB  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.5    6 years ago

Friend TiG, now I am not sure I understand the issue. We were beginning a discussion (originally addressed to DocPhil) on faith and religion. Sometimes the two things are written about interchangeably. Also, you need to be aware that spiritual people, faithful people, do have propensity to speak, and write, using faith-based overtones.

DocPhil
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.10  author  DocPhil  replied to  CB @2.1.2    6 years ago

Absolution is an individual need. Only people who claim religion seek absolution. Those that don't believe understand they may have violated a law or accepted mode of behavior and will accept punishment.  What is relevant here is that when faith alone leads to forgiveness, it is a painless way to survive day to day.

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.11  CB  replied to  DocPhil @2.1.10    6 years ago
What is relevant here is that when faith alone leads to forgiveness, it is a painless way to survive day to day.

DocPhil, the spiritual consequence of sin is death. As for this earthly life, sin is managed by means of "sinning no more." A faithful person, can certainly ask, how is giving up a liberty, usually a desirable and/or pleasurable experience or group of experiences, painless? Granted, there is a tradeoff in the offing: More / discipline. And, discipline requires training and education.

DocPhil
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.12  author  DocPhil  replied to  CB @2.1.11    6 years ago

But death is inevitable. It has nothing to do with sin, it has to do with the biology of every living thing. Why would sin lead to death? Even more important, why would the sins of a mythical couple be the cause of mortality in man? That would make for an awfully venal, cruel, and surprisingly human god.

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.13  CB  replied to  DocPhil @2.1.12    6 years ago
That would make for an awfully venal, cruel, and surprisingly human god.

DocPhil, my friend, ultimately you realize I am referring to spiritual death and not natural death. I will ask you to assume (however short) the existence of God:  What expectations do you imagine for God? 

DocPhil
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.14  author  DocPhil  replied to  CB @2.1.13    6 years ago

If I were to believe, I would expect the God I believe in to be a superior moral, intellectual, compassionate being than could ever hope to be.  I would expect compassion,but I would not expect anything that could be interpreted as abstract as spiritual immortality.  Regardless of belief or non-beliefs, we still would be born,live,and die. I would expect no more from a God.

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.15  CB  replied to  DocPhil @2.1.14    6 years ago
I would expect the God I believe in to be a superior moral, intellectual, compassionate being than could ever hope to be.  I would expect compassion, but I would not expect anything that could be interpreted as abstract as spiritual immortality.

The likely consequences being the God you believe in would not offend you. Though slaying you and causing you to be no more seems gratuitous from a superior being with so much more ability.

DocPhil
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.16  author  DocPhil  replied to  CB @2.1.15    6 years ago

Why would a God want to control when animals with finite life expectancies died? If he would want them to be immortal,  wouldn't he have created the species that way? Every time this argument is used,  it demonstrates a fallible God who keeps screwing things up.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
2.1.18  pat wilson  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @2.1.17    6 years ago

What could you possibly do for God that God couldn't do for God's self ?

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.19  CB  replied to  DocPhil @2.1.16    6 years ago

Friend DocPhil, well, that seems to beg the question of creation to begin with, and yet here we all are. All glommed onto the surface/s of one humongous planet. (Well, "thank God," its big enough!)

pat wilson
Professor Participates
2.1.21  pat wilson  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @2.1.20    6 years ago

Huh ??

pat wilson
Professor Participates
2.1.23  pat wilson  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @2.1.22    6 years ago

Usually a question is followed by a question mark, it's called punctuation. I used two, did that trigger you ??

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.24  Gordy327  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @2.1.17    6 years ago
Ask not what God can do for you,

What's the point of a god if you can't ask it for something?

ask what you can do for God.

Why?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.27  Gordy327  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @2.1.26    6 years ago

Your deflection and transparent ad hom attack is noted.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.28  Gordy327  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @2.1.26    6 years ago

I didn't quite get that. Can you repeat what you said?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.29  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1.28    6 years ago

Split Pea is getting serious...he's using bold purple font

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.30  Gordy327  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.29    6 years ago
Split Pea is getting serious...he's using bold purple font

Uh oh, it's on now! LOL

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.31  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1.30    6 years ago

I'm so proud of him. He's all grown up. You know...I gave him his start at Butt Heads. :)

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.1.32  charger 383  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.31    6 years ago
Butt Heads.

was a great and fun place

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.33  Trout Giggles  replied to  charger 383 @2.1.32    6 years ago

Yeah...I miss the old gang

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.34  Gordy327  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.33    6 years ago
Yeah...I miss the old gang

Ah, good times, good times. :)

DocPhil
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.35  author  DocPhil  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @2.1.17    6 years ago

Why in the world would I want to do something for an omnipotent being ? He could do whatever he wants to. His job is to protect our planet earth. Our job is to protect those who need our help. What we have to do for a God is nothing.....We exist....that is our only obligation to an imaginary being . Until there is real proof of God's existence we are still talking about an imaginary friend. 

DocPhil
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.37  author  DocPhil  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @2.1.36    6 years ago

We all are those who have determined that a creation of man for which the only proof is in the minds of the people who claim that their mental creation  is real is smoke and mirrors. We are those who have seen most of the unknowable in scriptures being proven by real science . That which can't be proven is currently mythical. God is one of those myths .

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
2.2  Skrekk  replied to  TᵢG @2    6 years ago
Religions have survived even to 2018 because, IMO, they bring comfort with the absolute best killer promise - death is not final.   We need not suffer the loss of a loved one so much because, after all, we will see them again - at the best resort ever.

Religions are also an expression of tribalism, a very primitive impulse which is likely a defense mechanism.     So while it seems pretty silly to think that one's superstitions are real, it serves a very real role to separate "us" from "them."

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
2.2.1  mocowgirl  replied to  Skrekk @2.2    6 years ago
it serves a very real role to separate "us" from "them."

And has led to widespread oppression and violence throughout recorded history whenever the hierarchy of one sect gains enough power to control governments.

For decades, our news items have been filled with anti-Muslim rhetoric so the 1 percent can continue their quest to empire build in the Middle East.  This has been an ongoing crusade since black gold was discovered in the region around a century ago.  

The anti-Muslim rhetoric is slanted to make it a "Christian" duty to fight the Muslim "takeover" in the Middle East.  This only works because Christians believe that they worship the one and only, truer than true God.  A very weak god that requires its followers to bludgeon their fellow humans to death to defend its honor and spread its word.

Let's just look at some fairly recent US history as as example of Christians killing other Christians in order to defend Yahweh/Yeshua and "spread" its word to people that had been given different "words" by Yahweh/Yeshua.  

Christianity is not a religion of love and peace.  It never has been.  Never, ever.  The main selling point point that it still clings to is its promise of an afterlife if one dots the appropriate I s and crosses the appropriate T s and PAYS the appropriate people at least 10 percent of their income in this life.

Anti-Catholicism reached a peak in the mid nineteenth century when Protestant leaders became alarmed by the heavy influx of Catholic immigrants from Ireland and Germany. Some believed that the Catholic Church was the  Whore of Babylon  in the  Book of Revelation . [26]

Early Mormon history is marred by many instances of violent persecution, which has helped shape the faith's views toward violence. The first significant violent persecution occurred in   Missouri . Mormons tended to vote as a bloc there, wielding "considerable political and economic influence," often unseating local political leadership and earning long-lasting enmity in the frontier communities. [32]   These differences culminated in the   Missouri Mormon War   and the eventual issuing of an   executive order   (since called the   extermination order within the LDS community) by   Missouri governor   Lilburn Boggs , which declared that "the Mormons must be treated as enemies, and must be exterminated or driven from the State." Three days later, a renegade militia unit attacked a Mormon settlement at   Haun's Mill , resulting in the death of 18 Mormons and no militiamen. The extermination order was not formally rescinded until 1976.

In   Nauvoo, Illinois , persecutions were often based on the alleged tendency of Mormons to "dominate community, economic, and political life wherever they landed." [33]   The city of Nauvoo had become the largest in Illinois, the city council was predominantly Mormon, and the   Nauvoo Legion   (the Mormon   militia ) continued to grow. Other issues of contention included   plural marriage ,   freedom of speech , the   anti-slavery   views expressed by Smith during his 1844 presidential campaign, and Smith's teachings on the   deification of man . After the destruction of the press of the   Nauvoo Expositor , Smith was arrested and incarcerated in   Carthage Jail   where   he was killed by a mob   on June 27, 1844. The   persecution in Illinois became so severe that most of the residents of Nauvoo fled across the   Mississippi River   in February 1846.

Even after Mormons established a community hundreds of miles away in the   Salt Lake Valley   in 1847, anti-Mormon activists in   Utah Territory   convinced U.S. President   James Buchanan   that the Mormons in the territory were rebelling against the United States; critics pointed to the   Mountain Meadows massacre   and   plural marriage   as signs of the rebellion. In response, President Buchanan sent one-third of the American standing army in 1857 to Utah in what is known as the   Utah War .

CB
Professor Principal
3  CB    6 years ago

If you don't want people to always be angry with you, don't talk to them about your views on politics or religion.

Politics, Religion, and Sex.  My parents told me to  keep sex out of public discussion, because sex is a myriad of things happening in the privacy of a room. DocPhil, in the last five or so years, I have broken all three of these fundamentals through use of social media! It's late now and I have not finished reading the entire article. I will read it to end the night and wake to it!

CB
Professor Principal
4  CB    6 years ago

Does Man Need God To Exist or Does God Need Man To Exist?

Read the article, let me say this before retiring for the night.  DocPhil, you are immersed in a natural world order, therefore it is only natural that you are surrounded by evidences of nature. In addition, it causes one to wonder why "non-belief" is not the norm and faith has to catch up! Science does not strive with Faith, in my opinion. On the other-hand, God is Spirit. We, believers are explained. Can you take a while and ponder what that realm, should it exist, and we have no reason to thing it does not, might be like?

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
4.1  lennylynx  replied to  CB @4    6 years ago

Sure Cal, as long as you take the time to ponder the invisible, flying hippos that surround us every day, and we have no reason to think they don't!  You can make any wildly improbable claim you want to and no one can 'prove' it wrong.  This is why the burden of proof is on the person making the positive claim.

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.1  CB  replied to  lennylynx @4.1    6 years ago

When you start out with absurdities, you end that way. Sadly, if you are after laughs: Comedy clubs want you.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
4.1.2  lennylynx  replied to  CB @4.1.1    6 years ago

Belief in a supernatural realm and an afterlife is absurd, even more absurd than my hippos.  There is no biological reason why miniature flying hippos CAN'T exist, and there are even some natural explanations for us not being able to see them.  A spirit world and afterlife is pure Peter Pan fantasy.

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.3  CB  replied to  lennylynx @4.1.2    6 years ago

So as long as you being a comic, all I can really do is laugh at your jokes!  HA!

sixpick
Professor Quiet
4.1.4  sixpick  replied to  lennylynx @4.1.2    6 years ago

I find it very difficult to to assume I know whether there is or isn't a God, since I have no proof of either that will satisfy the opposing views who also have no proof that will conclude this so-called theory.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
4.1.6  sixpick  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @4.1.5    6 years ago

Discussing whether there is a God or not has always been an obsession of the Left.  It is political posture for them,  Conservatives, on the other hand, who don't believe in God, rarely bring up the subject, but those on the Left have a need to pursue their goal of eliminating God from our existence, convincing as many as they can, by pushing the idea it is the ignorant who believe in God.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.7  sandy-2021492  replied to  sixpick @4.1.6    6 years ago
Conservatives, on the other hand, who don't believe in God, rarely bring up the subject,

And what about the conservatives who do believe in god?  You know, the ones who want to forbid same-sex marriage, because god, or abortion, because god?  I've even heard some conservatives on talk radio say we shouldn't worry about the environment, because god.

Liberal nonbelievers discuss the nonexistence of god for several reasons.  First, as an exercise in logic.  Second, in objection to being governed by a set of arbitrary rules supposedly put forth by a being whose existence can't even be supported by evidence.  We object to the Christian version of Sharia law, every bit as much as conservatives object to the Islamic version.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.9  Gordy327  replied to  sixpick @4.1.6    6 years ago
Discussing whether there is a God or not has always been an obsession of the Left. It is political posture for them,

And pushing god into our government and laws has been an obsession of the right. It seems to be political policy for them. Sandy expanded on this nicely in her reply. 

Conservatives, on the other hand, who don't believe in God,

Is there such a thing? stunned

but those on the Left have a need to pursue their goal of eliminating God from our existence, convincing as many as they can,

What nonsense. It's more like pushback against the attempts to bring god into the government and law, where god doesn't belong.

by pushing the idea it is the ignorant who believe in God.

Ignorant, no. Irrational, yes.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.10  Gordy327  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @4.1.8    6 years ago
That's failed logic.

How so?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.11  sandy-2021492  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @4.1.8    6 years ago

That's nice.  Prove it!  With logic, please.  If you're able.

Is it too early for popcorn?

sixpick
Professor Quiet
4.1.12  sixpick  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.7    6 years ago

Sandy, my comment dealt with the subject of whether there is or isn't a god and those who more frequently brought up that discussion and why.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.13  It Is ME  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.7    6 years ago
And what about the conservatives who do believe in god?

What about the ones that DON'T !

A massive "Catch twenty two' to take on for sure. confused

sixpick
Professor Quiet
4.1.14  sixpick  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.7    6 years ago
I've even heard some conservatives on talk radio say we shouldn't worry about the environment, because god.

Well, that's a new one on me.  I've never heard that before.  Who were you listening to?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.15  Gordy327  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.11    6 years ago
That's nice. Prove it!  

Hey, that's my line. winking

sixpick
Professor Quiet
4.1.16  sixpick  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @4.1.8    6 years ago
First, as an exercise in logic.

That's failed logic.

Maybe that's the reason they seem to be running around in circles.  To some on the Left, God like Guns are the only two things preventing them from entering Utopia.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
4.1.17  lennylynx  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.11    6 years ago

No, not at all.  Is it too early for beer?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.18  sandy-2021492  replied to  sixpick @4.1.14    6 years ago
Who were you listening to?

Sandy Rios.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.19  sandy-2021492  replied to  sixpick @4.1.12    6 years ago
Sandy, my comment dealt with the subject of whether there is or isn't a god and those who more frequently brought up that discussion and why.

And I gave you some reasons.  Intellectual debate, and opposition to religiously-based laws.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.20  sandy-2021492  replied to  lennylynx @4.1.17    6 years ago
Is it too early for beer?

Not if it's either green or Guinness.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.21  Gordy327  replied to  lennylynx @4.1.17    6 years ago
Is it too early for beer?

It's never too early for beer. :)

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.22  CB  replied to  sixpick @4.1.4    6 years ago

Sixpick, let me drop this into this spirit of discussion:

'A Christian Catechism says: "First, I learn to believe in God the Father, who hath made me, and all the world; secondly, in God the Son, who hath redeemed me, and all mankind; thirdly, in God the Holy Ghost [Spirit], who sanctifieth me, and all the elect people of God."'

The agnostic says, "How do you know all that? I consider I have no means of knowing these things you assert respecting God. I do not know, and can not know, that God is a Father, and that he has a Son, and I do not and can not know that such a Father made me, or that such a Son redeemed me."

But the Christian did not speak of what he knew, but of what he believed. The first word of a Christian is not, "I know," but "I believe." He professes, not a science, but a faith; and at baptism he accepts, not a theory, but a creed."

— Henry Wace, D.D. 1888

Of course, there is the addition of the Indwelling Spirit.

epistte
Junior Guide
4.1.24  epistte  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @4.1.5    6 years ago
What I find a bit perplexing is why the same cast of characters feel they must attempt to convince the other of their position on a site like this.

You just described the act of debate and discussion.  Take $5.00 from petty cash for your intellectual heavy lifting.

What are your religious and/on spiritual opinions

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.25  CB  replied to  sixpick @4.1.6    6 years ago

DUPLICATE POST. (I accidentally deleted the original while attempting to understand how the COMMENTS section garbage bin actually works. Okay! It deletes a post off the thread!)

Well, I am a liberal Christian on the Left. I am not alone. We are positively legion.

DocPhil
Sophomore Quiet
4.1.26  author  DocPhil  replied to  sixpick @4.1.6    6 years ago

Do you think that I'm demeaning the believer? Absolutely not! I think that I made it abundantly clear that we come to our beliefs or non-beliefs through our own personal journeys . I believe that the world is becoming more secular and that we will eventually move beyond belief. That, however, is my  observation. There is nothing intellectually dishonest if you have a different opinion. I have problems with charlatans, con men, and those who foist religion into our politics.  I would hope that the believer observe the adage " render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's  and render unto God that which is god's."

sixpick
Professor Quiet
4.1.27  sixpick  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.18    6 years ago
Who were you listening to?

Sandy Rios.

Never heard of her or him.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
4.1.28  sixpick  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.19    6 years ago
4.1.19 sandy-2021492 replied to  sixpick @ 4.1.12   8 hours ago

And I gave you some reasons.  Intellectual debate, and opposition to religiously-based laws.

Actually Sandy, as for myself, I am not much of a believer in words written by man.  I guess I'm not into religion that much.  I feel there is more than I am and whether I go on after death or just rot in my grave, I believe all we see, all we hear, all we feel and all we are has been created by something or someone far more advanced than we are able to understand and not by accident.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1.29  TᵢG  replied to  sixpick @4.1.28    6 years ago
I am not much of a believer in words written by man.

Agreement number 2 today.   We are on a roll!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1.30  TᵢG  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.11    6 years ago
Is it too early for popcorn?

I think so.  good one   Do you expect a thoughtful debate?    It would be one-sided at best.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.31  XXJefferson51  replied to  sixpick @4.1.6    6 years ago

5. We know God exists because he pursues us. He is constantly initiating and seeking for us to come to him.

I was an atheist at one time. And like many atheists, the issue of people believing in God bothered me greatly. What is it about atheists that we would spend so much time, attention, and energy refuting something that we don't believe even exists?! What causes us to do that? When I was an atheist, I attributed my intentions as caring for those poor, delusional people...to help them realize their hope was completely ill-founded. To be honest, I also had another motive. As I challenged those who believed in God, I was deeply curious to see if they could convince me otherwise. Part of my quest was to become free from the question of God. If I could conclusively prove to believers that they were wrong, then the issue is off the table, and I would be free to go about my life.

I didn't realize that the reason the topic of God weighed so heavily on my mind, was because God was pressing the issue. I have come to find out that God wants to be known. He created us with the intention that we would know him. He has surrounded us with evidence of himself and he keeps the question of his existence squarely before us. It was as if I couldn't escape thinking about the possibility of God. In fact, the day I chose to acknowledge God's existence, my prayer began with, "Ok, you win..." It might be that the underlying reason atheists are bothered by people believing in God is because God is actively pursuing them.

I am not the only one who has experienced this. Malcolm Muggeridge, socialist and philosophical author, wrote, "I had a notion that somehow, besides questing, I was being pursued." C.S. Lewis said he remembered, "...night after night, feeling whenever my mind lifted even for a second from my work, the steady, unrelenting approach of Him whom I so earnestly desired not to meet. I gave in, and admitted that God was God, and knelt and prayed: perhaps, that night, the most dejected and reluctant convert in all of England."

Lewis went on to write a book titled, "Surprised by Joy" as a result of knowing God. I too had no expectations other than rightfully admitting God's existence. Yet over the following several months, I became amazed by his love for me.    https://www.everystudent.com/features/isthere.html

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.32  sandy-2021492  replied to  sixpick @4.1.27    6 years ago

There are spots around where I live where station after station on the radio are Christian radio stations.  I was trying to find something to listen to in the car one day, and ended up stopping at her talk show for a few minutes.  She pretty much said that we shouldn't worry too much about the environment, because that was in God's hands.

Frankly, I find that both frightening and irresponsible.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.33  sandy-2021492  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.31    6 years ago

Sounds a bit like paranoia to me.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.34  sandy-2021492  replied to  TᵢG @4.1.30    6 years ago
Do you expect a thoughtful debate?

Of course not.  I thought it might be amusing, though.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1.35  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.31    6 years ago
I was an atheist at one time.

thinking     

What is it about atheists that we would spend so much time, attention, and energy refuting something that we don't believe even exists?!

Part of it is indeed the search for truth.   If someone professes something that just does not make sense to you, is it not a good thing to challenge ... to debate?   Is debate not a great way to bring forth information?

To me that is part of it.  The other part (just for me now) is to encourage people to think critically.    To not simply accept something as true because another human being wrote it or said it but because there is evidence and reason that leads to the conclusion.   To downplay emotions and desires and logically follow the evidence to where it leads.    Good old fashioned objective reasoning.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
4.1.36  sixpick  replied to  DocPhil @4.1.26    6 years ago

Hey DocPhil, you're not the professor who, on the first day of his English class, told his students if they still believed in God at the end of this course, you hadn't done your job, are you?  Just kidding.  I've had enough discussing God for awhile.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
4.1.37  sixpick  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.32    6 years ago

Sandy, if you have an input for your car radio or the radio can act as a bluetooth for you smart phone, you can use the 'Tunein' app on your phone and listen to anything you can imagine on your radio through your smart phone.  Download it to your phone.  There are others, such as Pandora.  I assume you know this, but haven't thought of using it this way.

TuneIn Radio

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1.38  TᵢG  replied to  sixpick @4.1.36    6 years ago

I know of a Stanford biology professor who made that statement.  Wink

( By the way, a great course. )

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.39  sandy-2021492  replied to  sixpick @4.1.37    6 years ago

The car I have now has Bluetooth as a standard feature, but I was driving an older car that day, and Bluetooth-enabled cars weren't as common when it was made.  Yeah, now I sometimes listen to iHeartRadio when I can't find anything else worth listening to.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
4.1.40  sixpick  replied to  sixpick @4.1.36    6 years ago

Oh by the way, DocPhil, your article was one of the best I've read lately.  It was, as John stated, well thought out and well written..  You're not as nasty as I've seen you before in some other articles.  Guess our psychology has been working on you.

Here is an atheist I bet you can appreciate.

"> Mind Games  

Telo
Freshman Silent
4.1.41  Telo  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @4.1.5    6 years ago

It's almost like the non-believers can, oh what's the word, oh yeah they're proselytizing except without the coc violations.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1.42  TᵢG  replied to  Telo @4.1.41    6 years ago
oh what's the word

debate, challenge

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.43  Gordy327  replied to  Telo @4.1.41    6 years ago
oh yeah they're proselytizing

How are they doing that exactly?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.44  Gordy327  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.33    6 years ago

Sounds like typical theistic BS to me.

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
4.1.45  Phoenyx13  replied to  Telo @4.1.41    6 years ago
It's almost like the non-believers can, oh what's the word, oh yeah they're proselytizing except without the coc violations.

i'm quite sure you'll now elaborate on this statement so we can all understand this "logic", right ? thinking  patience

DocPhil
Sophomore Quiet
4.1.46  author  DocPhil  replied to  sixpick @4.1.40    6 years ago

Thanks for the compliment, but I do take issue with your feeling that I'm nasty in other articles. I am highly critical of certain people but I believe that I try to make my points civilly and honestly.  I will keep attempting to do that. 

epistte
Junior Guide
4.1.47  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.31    6 years ago
We know God exists because he pursues us. He is constantly initiating and seeking for us to come to him

When has god ever pursued you? How did you know he was doing such?  How can you come to him when he cannot be bothered to leave proof for millions of people that he exists?

Believing in god or wanting him to exist doesn't mean that he, in fact, does exist?  You might have been told by parents and clergy that God exists but why are you so convicted that they know that your god exists?

Where is your proof that your god exists but the gods of other religions do not exist so that you are praying to the one true god? Why do you believe that Zeus, Vishnu, and Shiva don't exist but the god of Abraham does?

epistte
Junior Guide
4.1.48  epistte  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.33    6 years ago

Or psychotic delusions.

People with delusional disorder generally experience non-bizarre delusions, which involve situations that could occur in real life, such as being followed, poisoned, deceived, conspired against, or loved from a distance.

Telo
Freshman Silent
4.1.49  Telo  replied to  TᵢG @4.1.42    6 years ago

You actually do debate.  I can't remember a time off the top of my head where you were ever an ass to anyone.  Both sides would benefit with more people like you.

Most people don't seem to understand the definition of proselytize.  Straight from good ol' Merriam-Webster

Definition of   proselytize

proselytized ;   proselytizing
intransitive verb
1 :   to induce someone to convert to one's faith
2 :   to   recruit   someone to join one's party, institution, or cause (Phoenix there's your "logic")
The cause being more scientific thought and less faith/religious belief and getting people to join the institution of atheism.
The more that I thought of this over the weekend I realized that it's not as true as I thought when I first posted it.  Most of the non-believers here aren't proselytizing, they're down right being assholes and denigrating pretty much anyone of faith.
On the other hand though the other side has believers that also denigrate people so neither side is blameless.
I think all in all the site as a whole would benefit from a live and let live attitude.  You know the golden rule thingy that people like to trot out but seldom follow.
I don't know when the idea came about that you either agree with me or you're my enemy but it really needs to go away.

DRHunk
Freshman Silent
4.1.50  DRHunk  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.31    6 years ago

the first 2 sentences highlights what a load of crap that article is, Atheist don't go around disparaging themselves, bemoaning of why oh why do i always have to participate in a subject i  don't even believe in...whaaa.....That is the argument used by the believers to try and make the atheist feel bad about actually having and expressing an opinion.

Nice try though.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1.51  TᵢG  replied to  Telo @4.1.49    6 years ago

Thanks.

The sense of proselytize that is used in social media is the religious one.   If we do not hold to that usage then any disagreement would be considered proselytizing and that of course is meaningless.

I don't know when the idea came about that you either agree with me or you're my enemy but it really needs to go away.

I fully agree.   Emotion and agenda (group think) are the problems.   It is next to impossible IMO to disagree with someone regarding ideology, politics, religion or any other deeply held belief without them eventually getting pissed.   Especially in partisan politics where partisans are groomed to think of the other party as the enemy and to defeat them at all costs - even if they are technically correct.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
4.1.52  mocowgirl  replied to  sixpick @4.1.4    6 years ago
I find it very difficult to to assume I know whether there is or isn't a God

Which one?  Zeus, Apollo, Odin or the tens of thousands of others that men have worshipped and discarded?  Or the one currently in vogue in the US - Yahweh?  Or a generic god with no name, no rules and no promises?

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
4.1.53  mocowgirl  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.32    6 years ago
She pretty much said that we shouldn't worry too much about the environment, because that was in God's hands.

In the past 5 years, I have been told by members of the Baptists Church that if climate change was "real" then it was probably Yahweh's method of destroying the Earth the second time because we are living in the "end times".  They expect to be raptured any second.

I have also been told, by members of the Jehovah Witness sect, that it absolutely does not matter about the amount of poisons and pollution that are dumped on the Earth because Yahweh will make the Earth "new" again for the "saved".  They seem to believe that Heaven is on Earth and that Earth will last for an eternity.  They either do not know that our sun is not eternal or do not believe it.

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
4.1.54  Phoenyx13  replied to  Telo @4.1.49    6 years ago
2 to  recruit  someone to join one's party, institution, or cause (Phoenix there's your "logic")

The cause being more scientific thought and less faith/religious belief and getting people to join the institution of atheism.

you *do*  realize that only the religious recruit, i don't see any atheists going door-to-door telling everyone about the wonderful non-existent god they "worship", handing out pamphlets, inviting people to their favorite house of "non-worship", or just reciting bible verses to condemn those who think differently - do you ?

The more that I thought of this over the weekend I realized that it's not as true as I thought when I first posted it.  Most of the non-believers here aren't proselytizing, they're down right being assholes and denigrating pretty much anyone of faith.

On the other hand though the other side has believers that also denigrate people so neither side is blameless.
absolutely agree - both sides have people to blame.
I think all in all the site as a whole would benefit from a live and let live attitude.  You know the golden rule thingy that people like to trot out but seldom follow.

i agree - live and let live - that would probably be the best attitude, but this site is a reflection of people in general (of this country and the world) since it is made up of those people. In general, depending on the topic, no one adheres to a "live and let live" attitude (just pick a topic: laws, day-to-day living, marriage, etc - there's always one side or the other (or both) trying to dictate how others should live)

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
4.1.55  mocowgirl  replied to  TᵢG @4.1.38    6 years ago
By the way, a great course.

I agree.  I have now watched the first 4 videos.  Interesting take on evolution.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1.56  TᵢG  replied to  mocowgirl @4.1.55    6 years ago

Behavioral evolution.   There are many forms of evolution beyond biochemical.   Why even religions are a result of evolution.  thumbs up

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.57  CB  replied to  CB @4.1.25    6 years ago

DUPLICATE POST. (I accidentally deleted the original while attempting to understand how the COMMENTS section garbage bin actually works. Okay! It deletes a post off the thread!)

Well, I am a liberal Christian on the Left. I am not alone. We are positively legion.

Sorry about the webdings font in Chrome, folks! They show as text in Firefox!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.58  sandy-2021492  replied to  CB @4.1.57    6 years ago
Sorry about the webdings font in Chrome, folks! They show as text in Firefox!

I was wondering about that.  I had to highlight it and do a Google search to get it translated to text.

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.59  CB  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.58    6 years ago

So sorry.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.60  sandy-2021492  replied to  CB @4.1.59    6 years ago

Not a problem.  I was just confused.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.61  Trout Giggles  replied to  epistte @4.1.24    6 years ago

You're awfully generous with the petty cash.....

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.62  Trout Giggles  replied to  CB @4.1.57    6 years ago

I thought you were writing in hieroglyphics. :)

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.63  CB  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.62    6 years ago

So sorry, dear Trout G'!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.64  Trout Giggles  replied to  CB @4.1.63    6 years ago

No need to be sorry, I thought you were teaching us something. 

epistte
Junior Guide
4.1.65  epistte  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.61    6 years ago
You're awfully generous with the petty cash.....

I can write it off as a business cost.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
4.1.66  mocowgirl  replied to  TᵢG @4.1.56    6 years ago
Why even religions are a result of evolution.

I have no doubt.  Religion was the easy way of answering questions in the time period for children and also, for the adults who were easily led to believe nonsense.

As a child of 5 years of age, my grandparents explained thunder by telling me that there was a farmer in the sky who had turned over his turnip wagon.  Who was I to argue?  

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
4.1.67  mocowgirl  replied to  TᵢG @4.1.56    6 years ago
Why even religions are a result of evolution.

It has been said that everyone wants to go to Heaven, but no one wants to die to get there.  LOL!

I just read a good article about why people want to live so long.  

Of course, people want to juice their life spans for reasons beyond their pioneering spirits. "The thing that is most difficult and inscrutable to us as mortal beings is the fact of our own death," Wolpe says. "We don't understand it, we don't get it, and as meaning-laden beings, we can't fathom what it means to not exist." In other words, thinking about the infinite desert of death can trigger the worst kind of FOMO.

At the same time, the odds of living a long life that's also a good, healthy one are slim. Almost all people complete their most meaningful years before age 75, Emanuel writes in his essay, so living past that age is rarely as good as it may sound. Physical function crumbles for about half of Americans at around age 80, and aging makes all of us mentally slower and less creative. We may die later, but we don't age slower.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
4.2  Skrekk  replied to  CB @4    6 years ago
God is Spirit.

What is "spirit" and how much does it weigh?

luther28
Sophomore Silent
5  luther28    6 years ago

God is a product of man's mind and specific needs in both the psychology and physiology of man.

I do agree that many to most seek the psychological comfort of the notion that a god may provide, but I do not see the physiological aspect coming into play (perhaps mind over matter at work).

For myself I find god, religion or the lack of either to be a personal journey that we all flesh out in our own way and over time reach our own conclusions (thereby answering the question posed, god is a contrivance of humans).

There is no absolute answer when it comes to spiritual matters such as this, I think it comes down to whatever gets you through the night, keep your fingers crossed and hope you're right.

Nice article Doc, not used to thinking this hard so early in the day:)

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
5.1  Skrekk  replied to  luther28 @5    6 years ago
I do agree that many to most seek the psychological comfort of the notion that a god may provide, but I do not see the physiological aspect coming into play (perhaps mind over matter at work).

Psychology is physiology in the end.   It's not as if one's mind or beliefs or emotions exists apart from a physiologic brain state.   So perhaps where physiology is relevant (in the original comment) is that some people are more prone to these superstitions than others?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6  It Is ME    6 years ago

Me....Something, anything.......A utopia for that matter....is a nice thing to have running around the back of your mind from time to time. There is soooo much on this earth that crazies up your mind, that a bit of solace to "believe in" is refreshing. angel

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
6.1  lennylynx  replied to  It Is ME @6    6 years ago

Everyone needs something to believe in; I believe I'll have another beer!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  lennylynx @6.1    6 years ago

I'll join you ! thumbs up

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.1.2  Gordy327  replied to  lennylynx @6.1    6 years ago
Everyone needs something to believe in; I believe I'll have another beer!

Now that's a "belief" I can get behind. LOL

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
6.1.3  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Gordy327 @6.1.2    6 years ago
Everyone needs something to believe in; I believe I'll have another beer!Now that's a "belief" I can get behind. LOL

God Damn

God Damn the Annheiser Bush pusher man  

as his creation, "the cockroach of beers" will endure the Nuclear Winter like a summer vacation springing into free fall we can't a ford, to add dress the traversers that have traversed transgressions upon us, while a tempting to dodge the GM, we can't C, while forging a ford, with out drawing an economize sized special box of tissues to deal with all the issues , cause we all need some one to lean on, like a lean 2 for those TP's on transparent mode ala ice scream

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.2  Gordy327  replied to  It Is ME @6    6 years ago
There is soooo much on this earth that crazies up your mind, that a bit of solace to "believe in" is refreshing.

That kind of affirms the notion that religious belief is merely a mental comfort mechanism. Although, I would include the "believe in" as one of the things that "crazies" up the mind.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.2.1  It Is ME  replied to  Gordy327 @6.2    6 years ago
I would include the "believe in" as one of the things that "crazies" up the mind.

If one is "Unstable". winking

" That kind of affirms the notion that religious belief is merely a mental comfort mechanism."

I thought I said that already. thinking

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.2.2  Gordy327  replied to  It Is ME @6.2.1    6 years ago
If one is "Unstable".

Many times, that seems to go hand in hand with religious belief.

I thought I said that already

Just making sure. :)

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.2.3  It Is ME  replied to  Gordy327 @6.2.2    6 years ago
Many times, that seems to go hand in hand with religious belief.

If you listen to the media.

"Many" times, it's the "Few' that cause the issues causing angst against religion. The "many" are "ALWAYS" accused for the faults of a "few"..... REMEMBER the Liberal cry about Muslims and radicals ?

I suppose...religious zealot accusations are in the eye of the beholden !

"Just making sure."

No need for that on what I say. I'm a sure fired narcissist....dontchyaknow.  laughing dude

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.2.4  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @6.2.2    6 years ago

What Prevents Humans From Believing

There are billions and billions of pieces of evidence that prove the existence of our Creator God. Yet you will find some humans doubt and others do not want to exercise logic nor believe. Why is this the case? There is an important point to be made here. This Creator has such great control over our hearts and bodies, that in the event we cause harm to ourselves or others, the immediate punishment is the loss of reason and logic from our hearts and minds. This is His way of telling us you are doing something wrong- a misdeed - and that it has to stop.

These misdeeds may be the prevention of others from existing, for example an abortion, or a life style that may prevent babies from being created and borne. Ask yourself the question "I've been given the chance to exist - am I allowing others to exist ?" It may also be oppressive practices such as usury and interest that may impoverish others and rob them of their right to live free of debt and in happiness. Be careful of things such as smoking and drinking alcohol (both of which harm you and can lead to cancer), or lifestyles of illicit sex. These can lead you to atheism or weakeness of belief. To make it back to our Creator, we must stop all practices that harm ourselves or others. Simply ask Him for forgiveness and repent. No matter what religion you are from or belief you had before, if you ask the One Creator for forgiveness and stop any harmful act, this will lead to reason and logic returning to you. Then you can clearly see and recognize His existence.

Be fully aware that your heart, which has no intelligence, may be polluted to where it simply doesn't want to believe. Well who made this heart in the first place? The mind can only beat the heart using fear of failure and the drive to succeed. Even if the author of this site was to do anything tomorrow to harm himself or others, everything he wrote on this site would no longer make sense to him, and his ability to reason with logic would be turned off by God.

So who is this God, and what is His true identity? Well I will leave this part of the journey to you. But I can an tell you that if you look for and find a great human being, who once walked the earth, by the name of Abraham, then you are on the right track. I want you to know one thing for sure. If you manage to believe in the One Living God, correctly, you will live a very happy and beautiful life. It would be worth your effort and it would be like heaven on earth. God is worthy of our sacrifice.   

http://www.whygodisreal.net

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.5  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.2.4    6 years ago
There are billions and billions of pieces of evidence that prove the existence of our Creator God.

Name one.

I bet that you cannot provide a single item of evidence that proves the existence of a sentient creator (and that is far less than what is required to prove the existence of the biblical God).

(hint)   Do not claim to be able to prove .  You should claim you have evidence , not proof .   But even then, gird your loins.  winking

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.2.6  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.2.4    6 years ago
What Prevents Humans From Believing

Nothing. People are free to believe whatever they want.

There are billions and billions of pieces of evidence that prove the existence of our Creator God.

Such as? be specific! For every piece of "proof" you present for your god, I can probably turn it around and say it's "proof" of any other god/s, or even fairies, leprechauns, and gnomes. 

Yet you will find some humans doubt and others do not want to exercise logic nor believe.

There is no logic in mere belief.

This Creator has such great control over our hearts and bodies,

You realize you negated the entire premise of free will.

These misdeeds may be the prevention of others from existing,

That statement, along with the rest of the following drivel, is nothing more than an opinion piece, based on nothing but your own personal beliefs.

Be fully aware that your heart, which has no intelligence, may be polluted to where it simply doesn't want to believe.

How can a cardiac muscle "believe" exactly? Belief is a product of cognition, which is a function of the brain.

So who is this God, and what is His true identity?

A figment of imagination.

If you manage to believe in the One Living God

Not likely, especially not without evidence for one.

DocPhil
Sophomore Quiet
6.2.7  author  DocPhil  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.2.4    6 years ago

There is a huge difference between evidence and the faith that your observations are an accurate portrayal of reality. Please provide a single proof of God's existence. The world's complexity and beauty is only evidence of complexity.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.2.8  Gordy327  replied to  DocPhil @6.2.7    6 years ago
Please provide a single proof of God's existence.

I've been barking up that tree for quite a while now. No surprise that neither he nor anyone else has ever provided any rational answer. No surprise that he doesn't respond either.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
7  magnoliaave    6 years ago

It is a service to all the "bored" on NT to give them something to bash other than the Trumps.

CB
Professor Principal
7.2  CB  replied to  magnoliaave @7    6 years ago

I see you! Welcome back, dear Lady! You may not believe this and I can not tell you why, but you have been on my mind off and on even as late as overnight! Now how is that for being missed?! And they say that "the community" does not notice. We do!

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
7.2.1  magnoliaave  replied to  CB @7.2    6 years ago

Thanks.  I have been in  a place no one wants to go.  I am going to write about it soon.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
7.2.2  lennylynx  replied to  magnoliaave @7.2.1    6 years ago

Mango!  Where have you been?  We missed you...Sad

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.3  CB  replied to  magnoliaave @7.2.1    6 years ago

Ah! I'll, we'll, wait to learn more Magnoliaave!

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
7.2.4  JaneDoe  replied to  magnoliaave @7.2.1    6 years ago

Glad to see you back!!

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
7.2.6  magnoliaave  replied to  Kathleen @7.2.5    6 years ago

Thank you all.

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
7.2.7  Phoenyx13  replied to  magnoliaave @7.2.1    6 years ago
Thanks.  I have been in  a place no one wants to go.  I am going to write about it soon.

i hope you are doing better and wish you the best Big hugs

charger 383
Professor Silent
7.2.8  charger 383  replied to  Phoenyx13 @7.2.7    6 years ago

same

Enoch
Masters Quiet
7.2.9  Enoch  replied to  magnoliaave @7.2.1    6 years ago

Dear Friend Magnoliaave: As ever, I am here for you as for any and every one in private notes and private emails.

As always, all remains in confidence.

Your values and beliefs respected.

Pastoral care best provided is delivered when and how requested.

All best wishes for your journey in this life, and for successful navigation of the "speed bumps: all encounter on the roads we travel. 

Enoch.  

epistte
Junior Guide
7.3  epistte  replied to  magnoliaave @7    6 years ago
It is a service to all the "bored" on NT to give them something to bash other than the Trumps.

You can bash religions other than your brand of Christianity, plus us atheists.

DocPhil
Sophomore Quiet
7.4  author  DocPhil  replied to  magnoliaave @7    6 years ago

This article is not bashing anyone's beliefs. I thought I made it abundantly clear that I was describing a personal journey and was inviting people to share their experiences. There is no right or wrong here,only honest discussion. I would hope that you would join that discussion.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.4.1  TᵢG  replied to  DocPhil @7.4    6 years ago

I am not sure it is possible to question religion (no matter how thoughtfully done) without being accused of bashing.   While the 'bashing' reaction, etc. is understandable (emotional) it is also unreasonable.   

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.4.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  DocPhil @7.4    6 years ago

You're not bashing religion, Doc. I liked your article and how you came to your conclusions. Some people just see boogie men around every corner

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
9  Colour Me Free    6 years ago

Interesting read, thank you docphil..

There is a check list of what religion and a belief in a 'God' is and is not ... mental comfort mechanism, check ... explanation for the unknown, check ... yet one thing seems to always be over looked:  The human need to feel superior.

They were difficult to enforce, however, in a world populated by barbarians and ignorance. The most efficient and effective way to get people to follow these new strictures was to create a god that was more powerful than the gods that the "others" worshipped. It was the "my god is stronger than your god approach".

There must be those that are made subservient to a belief, as a way of controlling the masses - the 'Holy book(s)' at one time were only found in the hands of the elite, giving them the control over the interpretation .. thus the 'preaching' of the word.  Eternal life v. Hell fire and damnation became the tools needed for control.  (my interpretation)

Religion is a cult'ish dictatorship .... that lacks for the most part 'spirituality of the soul' - my 'God' resides within all things in nature ... I think 'my' higher power is happier when allowed to be free, not trapped in a building for those that dress up on Sunday's

Happy St Patrick's Day  (interesting day for a religious discussion : )

DocPhil
Sophomore Quiet
9.1  author  DocPhil  replied to  Colour Me Free @9    6 years ago

Interesting factoid about St. Patrick's day . Originally in Ireland,the wearing of the green was reserved for those who identified as Catholics. Irish Protestants would wear orange as a symbolic gesture . Even a common holiday was fought over.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
9.1.1  Colour Me Free  replied to  DocPhil @9.1    6 years ago

Did not know that DocPhil..  I had to go look it up, very interesting - the root word of Protestant is protest!

Reminds me a lil of the Sunni v. Shiite.  The same religion, same 'God' - yet each side exists in order to disagree with the other.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  DocPhil @9.1    6 years ago

I wondered about that.

My mother used to tell me to wear orange on St Patty's Day because we were Protestants not Catholics.

I converted later in life than lapsed.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
9.1.3  Skrekk  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.1.2    6 years ago
My mother used to tell me to wear orange on St Patty's Day because we were Protestants not Catholics.

There used to be riots on Orange Day and in some parts of the world it's still a bit sketchy.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
10  Randy    6 years ago

Some men created a god, or really a bunch of different gods, throughout history when they needed something to lean on or to try explain some of things that happened around them like sunrise or death and such. They are myths better left to antiquity.

Pedro
Professor Participates
11  Pedro    6 years ago

Some men and women seem desperate to believe a god (or gods) exists. It's not a good look really.

CB
Professor Principal
12  CB    6 years ago

Sixpick, I apologize that this post appeared with webdings font in Chrome. Oops! My default browser is Firefox and I should have know better: to check at least two browsers.I am reposting it here in a regular font:

Sixpick, let me drop this into this spirit of discussion:

'A Christian Catechism says: "First, I learn to believe in God the Father, who hath made me, and all the world; secondly, in God the Son, who hath redeemed me, and all mankind; thirdly, in God the Holy Ghost [Spirit], who sanctifieth me, and all the elect people of God."'

The agnostic says, "How do you know all that? I consider I have no means of knowing these things you assert respecting God. I do not know, and can not know, that God is a Father, and that he has a Son, and I do not and can not know that such a Father made me, or that such a Son redeemed me."

But the Christian did not speak of what he knew, but of what he believed. The first word of a Christian is not, "I know," but "I believe." He professes, not a science, but a faith; and at baptism he accepts, not a theory, but a creed."

— Henry Wace, D.D. 1888

Of course, there is the addition of the Indwelling Spirit.