╌>

Marine Corps commandant says deploying troops to the border poses ‘unacceptable risk’

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  bob-nelson  •  5 years ago  •  154 comments

Marine Corps commandant says deploying troops to the border poses ‘unacceptable risk’
The commandant of the Marines has warned the Pentagon that deployments to the southwest border and funding transfers under the president's emergency declaration, among other unexpected demands, have posed “unacceptable risk to Marine Corps combat readiness and solvency.”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

original

In two internal memos , Marine Corps Gen. Robert Neller said the “unplanned/unbudgeted” deployment along the border that President Trump ordered last fall, and shifts of other funds to support border security, had forced him to cancel or reduce planned military training in at least five countries, and delay urgent repairs at bases.

The border deployment and funding transfers , as well as recovery costs from hurricanes Florence and Michael, new housing allowances and civilian pay raises, are taking a toll on combat readiness, Neller wrote to Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan and Navy Secretary Richard Spencer.

The Times obtained copies of the memos , dated Feb. 19 and March 18.

Neller, a four-star general, said because of the problems, Marines will not participate in planned training exercises in Indonesia, Scotland and Mongolia, and will reduce their participation in joint exercises with Australia and South Korea.

Marines “rely on the hard, realistic training” of the training exercises “to develop the individual and collective skills necessary to prepare for high-end combat,” said Neller, who has been commandant since September 2015.

He complained about canceling or shrinking the Marines’ participation “at a time where we are attempting to double down on strengthening alliances and attracting new partners.”

Shanahan and Gen. Joseph Dunford, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, are scheduled to testify Tuesday before the House Armed Services Committee. Members are likely to ask about Neller’s concerns.

Sen. Richard J. Durbin (D-Ill.), vice chairman of the Defense Appropriations subcommittee, said Neller’s memos showed the danger in diverting Pentagon funds to build Trump’s border wall.

“If the president won’t listen to the American people or Congress, then listen to the commandant of the Marine Corps,” Durbin said in a statement.

While the armed services chiefs often warn of budget shortfalls, independent experts who reviewed Neller’s memos described the language as unusually strong, in particular because it cites the president’s highest-profile political priorities.

“It’s pretty unusual for the commandant to be raising concerns that... a top political priority for the president is undermining the ability of the Marine Corps to do the training they need,” said Mandy Smithberger, a defense expert at the Project for Government Oversight, a nonpartisan independent watchdog group.

“It looks like from Commandant Neller’s perspective, he does think these policies are undermining readiness,” she added.

“This is a pretty strongly worded memo,” said Todd Harrison, director of defense budget analysis at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, a nonpartisan think tank in Washington.

Hurricane recovery efforts, increases in civilian pay and the military housing allowance are probably the biggest factors in the budget shortfall, he added.

“The incremental cost of the border deployment is likely small compared to these other factors,” he said. “It sounds like there are some bureaucratic politics at work here.”

The border deployment is adding to the strain after hurricanes severely damaged Marine Corps facilities and housing in North Carolina and Georgia, Neller wrote.

Citing limits on his ability to transfer money because of the planned reprogramming under the border emergency, Neller said the Marines already are short $1.3 billion for recovery operations this year with another hurricane season approaching.

original “The hurricane season is only three months away,” Neller wrote, “and we have Marines, Sailors, and civilians working in compromised structures.”

Marine Corps Gen. Robert Neller speaks on Capitol Hill in Washington in 2017.
J. Scott Applewhite / Associated Press

The memos are likely to revive uneasiness on Capitol Hill about the border deployment, which reportedly chafed some military leaders , including James N. Mattis, then secretary of Defense, when Trump first ordered it shortly before the Nov. 6 midterm election.

While the White House insisted that active-duty troops were needed to stave off so-called caravans of migrants from Central America, critics accused him of using the military as props for his political agenda, not for security purposes.

On Oct. 29, Trump tweeted , “This is an invasion of our country and our military is waiting for you!”

He later expanded the deployment to roughly 6,000 troops , drawn from the Marines, Army, Air Force and Navy, and extended their stay through September 2019.

They have assisted the Border Patrol by erecting barricades, flying helicopter support and maintaining vehicles. They are not allowed to detain migrants, seize drugs or carry out law enforcement duties.

The White House and Defense Department have sought to reassure wary lawmakers that the deployment, and the president’s declaration of a national emergency on the border, have not hampered military readiness or effectiveness.

During a visit to a Border Patrol station Thursday in McAllen, Texas, Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen said she talked to Shanahan on a regular basis.

“We continue to work together to find ways to support the border mission,” Nielsen said. “Border security is national security. We shouldn't pretend that it's something else, because it's not — it's a national security issue.”

She directed questions about Neller’s concerns to the Defense Department. Spokesmen for the Pentagon and Shanahan did not respond to requests for comment.

In an email, a Marine Corps spokesman, Capt. Joseph Butterfield, said Neller’s memos made clear that damage from hurricanes, and not the border deployments, caused “by the far the most significant budgetary pressure.”

Border operations cost about $230 million by the end of January , according to the Pentagon. The cost could grow to about $850 million this year, according to the Center for Strategic and International Studies, a nonpartisan think tank in Washington.

The White House has asked Congress to appropriate a record $718 billion for the Pentagon in 2020 , including $9 billion for hurricane relief, border security and backfilling military construction projects whose funding could be raided under the national emergency Trump declared on Feb. 15.

Lawmakers have pressed to learn which military construction projects would be deferred or canceled to divert money that could be used to build Trump’s long-promised border wall under the emergency.

On Monday, the Pentagon sent Congress a list of more than 400 military construction projects around the country and worldwide that could be affected.

The 21-page document cites more than $12.8 billion in projects that could be delayed or canceled under the emergency, including 31 projects totaling $1.1 billion in California.

Congressional approval of the administration’s budget request and backfill is far from assured, given the recent border funding fight that led to a 35-day partial government shutdown, and bipartisan votes in both chambers to block Trump’s use of executive action to get around the congressional appropriations process. Trump vetoed the resolution last week.

Initial image: Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan, center, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Joseph Dunford, left, and Undersecretary of Defense David Norquist, right, appear before the Senate Armed Services Committee.    (Michael Reynolds / EPA-Shutterstock)

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Bob Nelson    5 years ago
On Monday, the Pentagon sent Congress a list of more than 400 military construction projects around the country and worldwide that could be affected. The 21-page document cites more than $12.8 billion in projects that could be delayed or canceled under the emergency, including 31 projects totaling $1.1 billion in California.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.2  Ronin2  replied to  Bob Nelson @1    5 years ago

So for 5.7 billion or so in border wall funds they need to delay or cancel $12.8 billion in projects? That is military math for you.

including 31 projects totaling $1.1 billion in California.

Why bother singling out California? What is so important about them?

If Congress is so worried about the state of military preparedness they can always allocate more money to fix it. I am sure the military will find a way to spend any excesses that are granted.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     5 years ago

I guess that General Neller isn't going to be one of Trumps ''Generals''.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3  It Is ME    5 years ago

"In two internal memos, Marine Corps Gen. Robert Neller said the “unplanned/unbudgeted” deployment along the border that President Trump ordered last fall, and shifts of other funds to support border security, had forced him to cancel or reduce planned military training in at least five countries, and delay urgent repairs at bases."

Thank Goodness this ….. "United States of America ?" General.....is worried about what goes on in "Other" countries.

He must be a "GENERAL Liberal" ! Always worried about EVERYTHING Else but THIS Country ?

This guy does work for ….. "THIS COUNTRY.....right ?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.1  seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  It Is ME @3    5 years ago
He must be a "Liberal" !

A four-star Marine general...   jrSmiley_30_smiley_image.gif

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Bob Nelson @3.1    5 years ago
A four-star Marine general...

Does that make him a "Conservative" ? jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

lib50
Professor Silent
3.1.2  lib50  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.1    5 years ago

That makes him a concerned American speaking out to stop stupid Trump decisions that hurt the country and our security and readiness.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  lib50 @3.1.2    5 years ago
That makes him a concerned American speaking out to stop stupid Trump decisions that hurt the country and our security and readiness.  

He's a "Dixie Chick" ?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.2  Split Personality  replied to  It Is ME @3    5 years ago

New rotation headed for Norway as Marines keep eyes on a cold-weather fight

A new rotation of Marines is expected in Norway in the coming weeks as the Corps continues to prep its forces for a potential cold-weather fight with North Korea or Russia.

Roughly 300 Marines from the 1st Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment based out of Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, will soon replace the small contingent of Marines from 2nd Battalion, 2nd Marines in Norway, according to Marine spokesman 1st Lt. Brett E. Lazaroff.

The current rotation in Norway has been in country learning how to fight and survive in an extreme cold-weather climate ; they will wrap up a nearly 6-month deployment in the next few weeks.

The new rotation from 1/6 will be the third six-month rotation for Marines to the fellow NATO allied country.

Commandant Gen. Robert B. Neller has recently upped the ante on cold-weather training for the Corps as the force anticipates a looming battle ahead.

While the Marine rotation to Norway has been relatively small, the Arctic country is gearing up for a major NATO exercise this fall called Trident Juncture.

good article about the Corps practicing for all possibilities in all weather.

Same General. Same level of preparedness that is ALWAYS expected of the USMC.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.2.1  It Is ME  replied to  Split Personality @3.2    5 years ago

Why do we STILL need to be Over There, over There ?

Do the "Children"....OVER THERE....Still need protecting ?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.2.3  Ronin2  replied to  It Is ME @3.2.1    5 years ago

We are NATO's pit bull and piggy bank.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.2.4  It Is ME  replied to  Ronin2 @3.2.3    5 years ago
We are NATO's pit bull and piggy bank

Exactly ! jrSmiley_50_smiley_image.gif

Apparently...the Praised "Everything for everyone" countries are still...... "Needy" !

if ya think about it, if they don't have to Spend their tax payer monies on Defense , they can send more of "Others" tax monies to "Free" stuff Liberals always praise them for doing !

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.2.5  Split Personality  replied to    5 years ago

Norway is actually farther north than Canada. No comparison to the Midwest in terrain or weather.

but it is approximate to a great deal of Russian terrain and weather.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @3.2.5    5 years ago

The Air Force does their Cold Weather Survival training at Eielson AFB, AK or used to.

But I could see the Marines training in Norway because of the mountains

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.2.7  Split Personality  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.2.6    5 years ago

2 related, but different things;

Why the 'Frozen Chosin' is the defining battle of the modern Marine Corps

The Korean War was a massive success for America and democracy, though the numbers may say different. The Battle of the Chosin Reservoir was one of the defining battles of the war and of the Marine Corps. Today, the events of that battle serve as a major history lesson for young Marines. Throughout boot camp, recruit will hear all about the heroics of this battle, instilling that "never-give-up" mentality that defines a Marine.

Outstanding article about our "preparedness for Korea and how the Corps overcame it.

and...

We had a friend once who was in SAC and flew out of ND to Alaska and beyond who said the greatest threat was frostbite and they were known  unofficially as  the "Chosen Frozen", no disrespect to the Marines...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2.9  Trout Giggles  replied to    5 years ago

Not near as cold as it does in Norway. Look at a Mercator map and tell me what the Lat/Long is for Norway versus Colorado

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.11  Tessylo  replied to    5 years ago

BRILLIANT!  LOL

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2.12  Trout Giggles  replied to  XDm9mm @3.2.10    5 years ago

That's the Army, we're talking about Marines here

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2.13  Kavika   replied to  XDm9mm @3.2.10    5 years ago

The 10th Mountain Division (light Infantry) is subordinate to the 18th Airborne Corp. and the entire division is not stationed at Fort Drum. 

With regard to training the cold weather training center is located at NWTC Ft. Wainwright Alaska, know as Black Springs...The instructions are called ''Black Hats''....

The oldest unit in the 10th Mountain is the 87th Infantry who's motto is ''We Conquer Men and Mountains. Formed in the US during WWII it became the first cold weather/ski troops of the US Army and was instrumental in breaking the German lines in northern Italy. The fought through the Po Valley and were awarded many citations. 

Ft. Mccoy (Wi) has been used by the US Army Rangers (75th Ranger Battalion) as a cold weather site for training.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.2.14  seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  Kavika @3.2.13    5 years ago

I love it. I LOVE it! I LOVE it!!

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.2.17  Dulay  replied to  XDm9mm @3.2.16    5 years ago

Tioga Rd. is always closed in winter.

There are NO USMC training grounds in Yosemite.

The only Naval Unit that trains in Yosemite is the SAR unit from Lemoore Naval Air Station. 

Hallucination? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.19  Texan1211  replied to  XDm9mm @3.2.18    5 years ago

[deleted

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2.21  Kavika   replied to  XDm9mm @3.2.15    5 years ago

Ahhh, the 1/87th. The original mountain troops of the US Army. 

Formed December 8th 1941 at Fort Lewis WN. as the 87th Infantry Regiment, the first mountain regiment in the US Army. The personal were selected from skiers, mountaineers, forest rangers, lumberman and mule skinners of which my uncle was one. The 87th was one of the few units to use mules and horses in WWII...

The 87th Mountain Regiment is to my knowledge to fight in both theaters of war. The Pacific with attack on Kiska and in Europe in numerous battles in the Po Valley. 

There were scheduled to return to the Pacific to participate in the invasion of Japan. The war ended before that took place. 

I'm sitting at my desk reading from my uncles notes and books on the 87th...Also some photos of the 87th in mountaineering training. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.2.22  Dulay  replied to  XDm9mm @3.2.18    5 years ago
I'm simply going by what I found on line. 

I thought you said you were going by what you saw with your own eyes in the 80's. 

I know that area well. I hiked, fished and camped all along the Tuolumne and American rivers in the 80's. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.2.23  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.19    5 years ago
Removed for context

Then there are always those brave soles who do so through other members... /s

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2.24  Sparty On  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.2.9    5 years ago

When I was in I believe that training was done primarily by specialized units within the Corps.    I had buddies in ANGLICO and Recon units that trained there.    A real garden spot paradise with the shitty gear we were issued back then.    We’re talking late 70’s early 80’s.

Welcome to Norway, welcome to the suck!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.25  Buzz of the Orient  replied to    5 years ago

Alaska would do the job.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.2.26  Split Personality  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2.25    5 years ago

Do you think the costs would be any different?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.27  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Split Personality @3.2.26    5 years ago

Perhaps not, but since the terrain and weather are most likely similar, isn't it more positive to benefit the local Alaska economy than Norway's?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.2.28  Split Personality  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2.27    5 years ago

Norway is farther north than Alaska & Canada...

The terrains aren't similar and the economies of the two regions are immaterial.

It's not R&R in Oslo or Juneau, Buzz.  It's training.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2.29  Sparty On  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2.25    5 years ago

Not strategically speaking.    

Unless of course Alberta decides to attack the US .... 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.30  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sparty On @3.2.29    5 years ago

Seems to me that the Democrats would be happy to have Canada burn down the White House again.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.31  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Split Personality @3.2.28    5 years ago

Are there no mountains in Alaska?  Is there no freezing weather in Alaska?  Can you not see Russia from Sarah Palin's front porch?  Bah! Humbug!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.32  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dulay @3.2.23    5 years ago

Brave soles can withstand the roughest terrain.  Might have to replace them eventually, though..../s

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2.33  Kavika   replied to    5 years ago
We've got mountains here in Colorado and it gets really cold.

Yes it is and one battalion of the 10th Mountain Division is stationed in Colorado..

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.2.34  seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  Dulay @3.2.22    5 years ago
I thought you said you were going by what you saw with your own eyes in the 80's.

I LOVE it!!

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.2.35  Dulay  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2.27    5 years ago

Did you miss the fact that some of the proposed training cancelations were in Alaska? 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.36  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dulay @3.2.35    5 years ago

Then why Norway?

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.2.37  Dulay  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2.36    5 years ago

Are you unaware of the concept of joint training exercises? 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.2.38  Split Personality  replied to  Split Personality @3.2.28    5 years ago

It's training and testing equipment in extreme conditions.

We don't need another experience like Korea

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.2.39  Split Personality  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2.36    5 years ago

Why not?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.40  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Split Personality @3.2.39    5 years ago

It's been said that answering a question with a question is a very Jewish thing.  LOL

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2.41  Sparty On  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2.30    5 years ago

C’mon Buzz ..... enough with the fake news .... 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.42  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sparty On @3.2.41    5 years ago

LOL. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.3  Dulay  replied to  It Is ME @3    5 years ago
He must be a "GENERAL Liberal" ! Always worried about EVERYTHING Else but THIS Country ?
This guy does work for ….. "THIS COUNTRY.....right ?

Congratulations, that comment shows an utter ignorance of the issue.

The information necessary to make an informed comment is linked right in the seed. 

If you're actually interested in the General's REASONS why training in other countries has an effect on Marine readiness, I suggest you go READ the General's memos linked in the seed. 

Or you can just continue to make snarky comments...

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.3.1  It Is ME  replied to  Dulay @3.3    5 years ago
Congratulations, that comment shows an utter ignorance of the issue.

[Deleted]

"If you're actually interested in the General's REASONS why training in other countries has an effect on Marine readiness"

[Deleted]

The EU wear "Big boy Panties" too....don't they ?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.3.2  Tessylo  replied to  Dulay @3.3    5 years ago
'Congratulations, that comment shows an utter ignorance of the issue.'

As usual.  

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.3.3  Dulay  replied to  It Is ME @3.3.1    5 years ago
The Clueless shouldn't spew.

[Deleted]

Democrats ALWAYS sputter how they want the Troops to be home. bring 'em back and let them train here !

So the conspiracy theorists can reignite their BS about martial law? Remember Operation Jade Helm? 

The EU wear "Big boy Panties" too....don't they ?

Again, that shows an utter ignorance of the CONTENT of the memos. Since you've had the time to actually READ them, it must be intentional. 

The ONLY EU country cited in the memo's is Scotland. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.3.4  It Is ME  replied to  Dulay @3.3.3    5 years ago

[Deleted]

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.3.5  Dulay  replied to  It Is ME @3.3.4    5 years ago
removed for context

Obtuse obfuscation. jrSmiley_84_smiley_image.gif

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.3.6  It Is ME  replied to  Dulay @3.3.5    5 years ago
Obtuse obfuscation

That's all ya got ?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.3.7  It Is ME  replied to  It Is ME @3.3.1    5 years ago

[Deleted]

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.3.8  Dulay  replied to  It Is ME @3.3.6    5 years ago
That's all ya got ?

Yes, accurate critique. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.3.9  It Is ME  replied to  Dulay @3.3.8    5 years ago

The Violins are VERY loud right now !

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
3.4  FLYNAVY1  replied to  It Is ME @3    5 years ago

I'm going to go out on a limb here and bet the General has more training and a greater understanding of what it takes to defend our nation than those who would disparage him.

Can you say you have dedicated your life to defending something in similar terms?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.4.1  It Is ME  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @3.4    5 years ago
I'm going to go out on a limb here and bet the General has more training and a greater understanding of what it takes to defend our nation

"Border" security is more important than....being able to "Play" war elsewhere.

in fact....I'll bet the countries we are speaking of, have their own military...which probably should step up the pace for their OWN defense !

Wouldn't that be great ?

"Can you say you have dedicated your life to defending something in similar terms?"

YEP !

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
3.4.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  It Is ME @3.4.1    5 years ago

Guess we will continue to see things differently....

I know that both the bear and the dragon still swim (have ICBM submarines), and they still fly.  Power projection is still critical to our being able to negotiate with other countries.

A man-o-war still makes the best ambassador.......

Take care.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
3.4.4  livefreeordie  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @3.4    5 years ago

As a proud disabled Veteran I have no hesitation to say that the General is lying at worst and misstating the facts at best.  The Trump Emergency Border Order took less than 1% of the FY2019 Military Budget for this needed acti9n

furthermore President Trump is Commander-in-Chief of the military and thee ultimate decision maker in how to best utilize the military for national security.  If the General is incapable or unwilling to follow chain of command, he should retire and let someone head the Marines who understands this

lib50
Professor Silent
3.4.5  lib50  replied to  livefreeordie @3.4.4    5 years ago

The point is that Trump is harming the country by his decisions.   There is no way around the FACT Trump doesn't know jack about national security.  NOTHING.  Nothing his spokesholes and enablers say can change that.  He is President, but that doesn't mean we think he is doing what is best for the country.  Including the top military.  When some ignorant moron with power does things that help adversaries and hurt our interests, what do you call it?  Treason.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.4.6  Dulay  replied to  livefreeordie @3.4.4    5 years ago
As a proud disabled Veteran I have no hesitation to say that the General is lying at worst and misstating the facts at best.

Then with you VAST knowledge of the Marine Corps budgetary needs, please DO tell me the facts. 

The Trump Emergency Border Order took less than 1% of the FY2019 Military Budget for this needed acti9n

If we're going to talk percentages, 3.5 BILLION is only 1.7% of the Navy's budget. Since you're an expert, considering that small percentage, perhaps you explain WHY the SECNAV hasn't provided the funding needed. 

furthermore President Trump is Commander-in-Chief of the military and thee ultimate decision maker in how to best utilize the military for national security.

Point? Are you inferring that the Commandant of the Marine Corps doesn't have the duty of keeping the Commander-in-Chief informed of threats to readiness? 

If the General is incapable or unwilling to follow chain of command, he should retire and let someone head the Marines who understands this

Neller sent the request THROUGH the chain of command. The March memo was sent to the SECNAV and the February memo was too. 

Memorandum to Secretary of Defense through Secretary of the Navy

READ MORE CAREFULLY. 

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3.4.7  lady in black  replied to  livefreeordie @3.4.4    5 years ago

And are you now cheering trump lifting sanctions on North Korea....he just loves his dictators doesn't he.  Denigrates a deceased McCain and praises Kim.  

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.4.8  Split Personality  replied to  livefreeordie @3.4.4    5 years ago
The Trump Emergency Border Order took less than 1% of the FY2019 Military Budget for this needed acti9n

Yes, Larry, the President is only taking 7 Billion from what he considers to be discretionary construction funds of about $12 Billion...  that's 60%

resident Trump is Commander-in-Chief of the military and thee ultimate decision maker in how to best utilize the military for national security.  If the General is incapable or unwilling to follow chain of command, he should retire and let someone head the Marines who understands this

And yes Larry, the 4 star USMC General went through the chain of command each and every time.

You should know better than to believe that a real estate addict from NYC would know anything about running the military.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.4.9  seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  Split Personality @3.4.8    5 years ago
You should know better than to believe that a real estate addict from NYC would know anything about running the military.

You are forgetting all of his personal experience with the military.

... oh... wait...

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
3.4.10  livefreeordie  replied to  Split Personality @3.4.8    5 years ago

What the President knows and all of us who observe the real world know is that we have a huge crisis to our sovereignty as a nation

The illegal alien surge into the US is real despite the denials by the left. We aren’t talking about a few thousand as the left falsely claims.

“From October 2017 to January 2018, according to CBP figures, 150,346 crossed the border, a number that surged to 242,667 in the same four-month period ending in January 2019.

The biggest surge has come in the numbers who are crossing illegally. CBP apprehended more than 200,000 crossing illegally between October 2018 and this January, compared to 109,543 a year earlier — nearly doubling the total of illegal crossings.”

February there were over 70,000 caught at the border

At this rate, more illegals would invade this country than the populations of cities like San Francisco, Boston, Denver, Detroit, Milwaukee, Baltimore, and other major US cities.

But for the sake of argument, Let’s assume your argument and pursue that logic. Given the low figure of 30,000 per month (and actual numbers for the past 6 months are 50,000 per month) and that Border Patrol data shows they apprehend 50%:

That means EVERY DAY, 7 DAYS a WEEK we have 2000 illegals entering this country, with 1000 living here. 7000 a week, 364,000 a year getting free education, free healthcare paid for by taxpayers

If only 2% are criminals that is 14 criminals a week, 728 criminals a year entering our country

And we’re supposed to believe that is not a crisis for our country?   That kind of thinking is either insane, naive, or diabolical

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
3.4.11  livefreeordie  replied to  Dulay @3.4.6    5 years ago

I have read it carefully. And BTW I do have some knowledge in this area. I spent 20 years as an executive in the defense industry working with the Pentagon, Military Procurement Centers, Military Base Readiness Commands and the House Appropriations Defense Subcommittee (during the time of John Martha D-PA).  I worked on weapons and systems development and production and was one of the Engineers on development and production of the modern cluster bomb, chemical weapons programs, missile warhead arming devices, Star Wars, and more

Yes they have a duty to report readiness. BUT reaction to national defense emergencies is at the very top of the priorities of the Commander-in-Chief.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
3.4.12  livefreeordie  replied to  lady in black @3.4.7    5 years ago

I have not previously commented on sanctions and North Korea.  But as a Minarchist libertarian I generally oppose sanctions against any nation.

as to McCain I have leveled a lot of criticism and calls for McCain to retire over the last 20 years he was in the Senate because he was no conservative, but just a bootlicker of his leftist friends in the Senate

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.4.13  Dulay  replied to  livefreeordie @3.4.11    5 years ago
BUT reaction to national defense emergencies is at the very top of the priorities of the Commander-in-Chief.

Trump started spewing his 'national emergency' BS in September of LAST YEAR. That 6 months ago and it looks like his 'top priority today is golfing in FL. 

BTFW, when the NSA Director Coats testified to Congress, he didn't cite an emergency along the border. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.4.14  Dulay  replied to  livefreeordie @3.4.11    5 years ago
And BTW I do have some knowledge in this area.

Being a weapons trafficker doesn't get you even close to a 'big picture' understanding of the budgetary needs of the Marine Corps. 

Yes they have a duty to report readiness.

So your demand that Neller 'follow the chain of command or retire' was just knee jerk claptrap. Got ya. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.4.15  seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  Dulay @3.4.14    5 years ago
was just knee jerk claptrap

That's all there ever is...

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
3.4.16  livefreeordie  replied to  Dulay @3.4.14    5 years ago

What an idiotic and ignorant accusation.  I have never been a weapons trafficker.  My client was the United States of America and I'm proud of the work I did to provide weapons and systems that ensure America's military men and women have an advantage against all enemies who seek their death.

I do have that understanding having been in the military, my work as i stated with the Pentagon and Congress, and 60 years experience in studying American history and American military history

And only someone would ignorant of the military would denigrate the central requirement of following chain of command

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.4.17  Dulay  replied to  livefreeordie @3.4.16    5 years ago
And only someone would ignorant of the military would denigrate the central requirement of following chain of command

Even though you seem recognize his duty to keep the SECNAV informed of readiness, you were the one that denigrated Commandant Neller, not I.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.4.18  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  livefreeordie @3.4.10    5 years ago

We all know that illegal aliens are votes for the Democrats.  Why else are they championing them?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.4.19  Split Personality  replied to  livefreeordie @3.4.16    5 years ago

Then why did you denigrate Commandant Neller and assume exactly that?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.4.20  Split Personality  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.4.18    5 years ago
We all know that illegal aliens are votes for the Democrats.

Well, no we don't actually.

Why else are they championing them?

Maybe for the same reason you did pro bono work for people, presumably Canadians, who were deserving.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.4.21  Dulay  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.4.18    5 years ago
We all know that illegal aliens are votes for the Democrats. 

I always find it hilarious that conservatives have that opinion. What it tells me is that they know deep down that even though they would have over a decade before immigrants would become citizens, conservatives don't have a chance to win the votes of immigrants. 

Of course, they ALWAYS blame the Democrats and/or the immigrants instead of looking in the fucking mirror. 

Why else are they championing them?

Sympathy, empathy, humanity. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.4.22  Split Personality  replied to  livefreeordie @3.4.10    5 years ago
But for the sake of argument, Let’s assume your argument and pursue that logic.

What argument Larry?  I never mentioned the border or the statistics.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.4.23  Split Personality  replied to  livefreeordie @3.4.11    5 years ago
I worked on weapons and systems development and production and was one of the Engineers on development and production of the modern cluster bomb, chemical weapons programs, missile warhead arming devices, Star Wars, and more

Oh the irony.  One can only imagine Oppenheimer becoming a rabbi...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.4.24  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Split Personality @3.4.20    5 years ago

Well, you are right that I did pro-bono work when I was practising law, although I never expected anything in return, but I believe it might well have encouraged them to use me when they needed my help and could afford it.  There were many examples, one in particular I will relate.  I was one of a group who sponsored a Vietnamese "Boat Person" and his young daughter to immigrate to Canada.  I provided him with pro bono legal services he needed.  Eventually he made a good living, bought a home, prepared a will, and he paid me for my assistance in those matters.

I think it would be naive to think that immigrants don't know which political party looks favourably on their immigration - and would support that party, but not a party that tried to block them.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.4.25  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dulay @3.4.21    5 years ago

Note my reply to Split Personality.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.4.26  Split Personality  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.4.24    5 years ago

Bravo, now as to equating illegal aliens with legal immigrants, not so fast...

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.4.27  Dulay  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.4.24    5 years ago
I think it would be naive to think that immigrants don't know which political party looks favourably on their immigration - and would support that party, but not a party that tried to block them.

Humans have a huge capacity for self loathing. 

Secondly, if there's one thing that can be learned from living in America it's the 'I got mine, you're on your own' mentality. Many Cubans learned that quite well. 

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3.5  lady in black  replied to  It Is ME @3    5 years ago

My son a deceased Marine was a liberal so go pound salt.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.5.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  lady in black @3.5    5 years ago

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

and

hugs

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.5.2  It Is ME  replied to  lady in black @3.5    5 years ago
My son a deceased Marine was a liberal so go pound salt.

Good for him. A lot of my relatives died in war too, [deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.5.3  Tessylo  replied to  lady in black @3.5    5 years ago

I shouldn't say this lady in black but you really should report a certain poster for his ignorance and taunting.  I'm probably risking a ticket for this.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.5.4  It Is ME  replied to  It Is ME @3.5.2    5 years ago

The comment "WAS" all about an Agenda !

if it wasn't...why post it ?

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3.5.5  lady in black  replied to  Tessylo @3.5.3    5 years ago

No, I won't...just shows you how all liberals are painted even if they died for their country. 

I do take offense to it but it's more as a grieving mom so I know I just have to deal with it but will call it out even if it gets me a ticket.  

Unless one has watched their son or daughter's casket being brought off a plane and then been handed the folded flag that draped you son's or daughters coffin, one has no clue.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.5.6  Tessylo  replied to  lady in black @3.5.5    5 years ago

I  understand.  Some folks are so damned petty and trifling

It's deplorable 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4  Trout Giggles    5 years ago
The border deployment and funding transfers , as well as recovery costs from hurricanes Florence and Michael, new housing allowances and civilian pay raises, are taking a toll on combat readiness, Neller wrote to Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan and Navy Secretary Richard Spencer.

The thing I highlighted in bold and italicized is The. Most. Important. part of the military and what it's all about

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5  Nerm_L    5 years ago

Why does the Marine Corps need to conduct training exercises in Indonesia, Scotland, and China (of all places)????  Maybe if we stopped training other countries to fight like Marines we would have fewer dead Marines.

Apparently the Marine brass is too stupid to be able to  conduct training exercises at the borders of the United States.  Or else the mission of the Marines is something other than protecting the United States.  Maybe if the Marines conducted joint exercises with Mexico we could do something about the drug cartels.

This political kerfuffle only highlights that the military is no longer an asset to the United States.  If the Marines can't defend the United States within the borders of the country then we don't need to waste more money.  Muster out the Marines and let them become private contractors since we are relying on private contractors to defend our borders.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1  seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  Nerm_L @5    5 years ago

Yeah!

Let's explain to the Marines how they should train!

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.1.2  Dulay  replied to    5 years ago
The issue is where to train, not how to train. I guess that simple fact eluded you!

Actually, it's BOTH. HOW they train depends on WHO they train with and that depends on WHERE they are training. 

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5.1.3  Nerm_L  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.1    5 years ago
Let's explain to the Marines how they should train!

What are the Marines training to do?  Are the Marines actually expecting to be fighting a war in the middle of the Asian continent on the border between Russia and China?

That's a battle plan I would expect from the writers of Saturday Night Live rather than Pentagon brass.

The Marines are training for asymmetric warfare in regional conflicts.  That seems to describe what is happening at the southern border of the United States.  I seriously doubt Viking marauders will be invading Scotland anytime in the near future.  And I don't think the United States need be too concerned with how to coordinate with the mighty Scottish army (or the British army, for that matter).

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.1.4  Dulay  replied to  Nerm_L @5.1.3    5 years ago
The Marines are training for asymmetric warfare in regional conflicts. That seems to describe what is happening at the southern border of the United States.

Exactly, because when we think about 'asymmetric warfare' unarmed women and children are always on the top of the list of threats. /s

BTFW, is acting in an 'observational capacity' your idea of 'training for asymmetric warfare'?

I seriously doubt Viking marauders will be invading Scotland anytime in the near future. And I don't think the United States need be too concerned with how to coordinate with the mighty Scottish army (or the British army, for that matter).

You know that the Marines are a NAVAL force right? That's why they are BEGGING for action from the SECNAV. Sheesh.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  Dulay @5.1.4    5 years ago

Funny how some seem to be know it alls are know nothings.  

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5.1.6  Nerm_L  replied to  Dulay @5.1.4    5 years ago
Exactly, because when we think about 'asymmetric warfare' unarmed women and children are always on the top of the list of threats. /s BTFW, is acting in an 'observational capacity' your idea of 'training for asymmetric warfare'?

And dealing with civilians in a battle zone has become a far greater part of battle tactics and planning.  Unarmed women and children are a threat because they impede movement and affect operations.  Crowd control and dealing with civilians has become a fundamental part of training.  Marines can't just charge in and 'kill 'em all' in today's regional conflicts.  We tried that in Vietnam and it didn't work.

You know that the Marines are a NAVAL force right? That's why they are BEGGING for action from the SECNAV. Sheesh.

The Marines are becoming an airborne assault force.  How many of today's Marines have even been aboard a ship?

The US Navy has one LHA on active duty (two are under construction) and 11 LPD on active duty (and two under construction).  The days of beach assaults are gone and are never coming back.  I'm not sure the Navy has any troop transport ships on active duty.  The Navy can deliver hundreds of Marines by sea, not thousands.

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.1.7  Dulay  replied to  Nerm_L @5.1.6    5 years ago
And dealing with civilians in a battle zone has become a far greater part of battle tactics and planning. Unarmed women and children are a threat because they impede movement and affect operations. Crowd control and dealing with civilians has become a fundamental part of training. Marines can't just charge in and 'kill 'em all' in today's regional conflicts. We tried that in Vietnam and it didn't work.

Well since the troops on the border have NO, NONE, NADA contact with civilians, your entire  comment is irrelevant. 

The Marines are becoming an airborne assault force. How many of today's Marines have even been aboard a ship?

Then you should have cited the RAF NOT the British ARMY right? 

The Marine Corps is a NAVAL force under the SECNAV Chain of Command. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1.8  Split Personality  replied to  Nerm_L @5.1.6    5 years ago
The Marines are becoming an airborne assault force.

That's an oxymoron. The USMC allows individuals to participate and graduate from Army Parachute school but has no Airborne divisions or planes to deliver them.

I'm not sure the Navy has any troop transport ships on active duty.

Incorrect the Navy has dozens of amphibious assault craft and more planned.

The Navy can deliver hundreds of Marines by sea, not thousands.

Equally incorrect. How many airborne troops fit in a plane?

Stick to what you know.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1.9  seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  Split Personality @5.1.8    5 years ago
Stick to what you know.

Ummmmmmm........

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.10  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Nerm_L @5.1.3    5 years ago

Perhaps it would be relevant to the situation on the southern border to train these days with the Israeli IDF guarding the Israeli border with Gaza.

charger 383
Professor Silent
5.1.11  charger 383  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.10    5 years ago

that is a great idea

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.1.12  Dulay  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.10    5 years ago
Perhaps it would be relevant to the situation on the southern border to train these days with the Israeli IDF guarding the Israeli border with Gaza.

That would only be relevant for sniper training since the Israeli border with Gaza has a 3km buffer zone...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.13  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dulay @5.1.12    5 years ago

Ah, your comment is expectedly prejudiced.  No, it would be training on stopping aliens from breaking through the fences, and attacking those guarding the border.

By the way, the buffer zone is not much good for stopping rockets and missiles fired by Hamas and Islamic Jihad, most recently at Tel Aviv, or incendiary balloons and kites that have devastated thousands of acres of crops, fields and forests, killed the animals there, and even landed in a kindergarten schoolyard. You know, the "peaceful" Gazan demonstrations.

Gaza.jpg

wire-2748134-1524238722-172_634x391.jpg

000_QT555-e1500664078517.jpg

Molotov Cocktail

gaza-riots-4-27.jpg

Incendiary balloons and kites

terror-kite-gaza-640x480.png

Kite_Flyers_in_Gaza.jpg

000_15Y72C-400x250.jpg

la-1529519154-nwun929iou-snap-image

000_16U7V4-640x400.jpg

Breaking through the border fence:

150614201304-04-syria-turkey-fence-super

th?id=OIP.k7kNuEB5CmpTrQkvR2KFlgAAAA&pid

Peaceful demonstration. 

th?id=OIP.nPPs_XAya7BD__Yfy_-g-wHaEK&pid

1523085462_palestinians-evacuate-wounded

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.14  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.13    5 years ago

And the latest news of missiles from Gaza...

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.1.15  Dulay  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.13    5 years ago
Ah, your comment is expectedly prejudiced. 

Facts don't have a prejudice Buzz.

3kms is a LONG SHOT. My 30.06 couldn't touch it...

No, it would be training on stopping aliens from breaking through the fences, and attacking those guarding the border.

The barbed wire in those photos you posted are well inside of the border. The Israelis use SNIPERS to shoot people who are still in Gaza. Are you claiming that the Israelis are using the wrong tools?

Are you suggesting that our military use snipers to shoot people 1000 meters inside Mexican soil Buzz? You know that in civilized countries that is an act of war right? 

By the way, the buffer zone is not much good for stopping rockets and missiles fired by Hamas and Islamic Jihad

We aren't talking about rockets or missiles or kits or slings Buzz. We have NONE of that on our southern border. We're talking about PEOPLE, mostly families. Please refrain from inserting irrelevant false equivalencies. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
6  Dulay    5 years ago

What I found stunning about the memos is that they prove that the OSD, the SNAV and thereby Trump, were made aware of the funding issues in FEBRUARY. In fact, any thinking person would have recognized in SEPTEMBER of 2018 that the damage to the Marine bases in NC was an emergent issue that needed to be addressed with ATR funding. Trump got $160 BILLION in added Defense funding and they STILL can't seem to find funding to cover emergencies. 

Trump hasn't proposed a Disaster Supplemental Bill and in fact has stated that instead of 'reprograming' funds for the emergent needs of the Marines, he intends to 'reprogram' funds already appropriated to military projects and disaster relief to his wall. 

evilone
Professor Guide
7  evilone    5 years ago

I thought conservatives stood by the military? Another abandoned principle I can add to the list.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
7.1  livefreeordie  replied to  evilone @7    5 years ago

I proudly support the military 

As a proud disabled Veteran I have no hesitation to say that the General is lying at worst and misstating the facts at best.  The Trump Emergency Border Order took less than 1% of the FY2019 Military Budget for this needed acti9n

furthermore President Trump is Commander-in-Chief of the military and thee ultimate decision maker in how to best utilize the military for national security.  If the General is incapable or unwilling to follow chain of command, he should retire and let someone head the Marines who understands this

lib50
Professor Silent
7.1.1  lib50  replied to  livefreeordie @7.1    5 years ago

I'll say it again.  Having the power to do something is one thing.  Doing something HARMFUL to the country is another.   You seem to be saying everybody is supposed to go around saying 'I was only following orders'.    Trump doesn't know ANYTHING about this issue except how it might help him in some way.  It has nothing to do with the good of the country.  More and more people see the harm he is doing.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
7.1.2  livefreeordie  replied to  lib50 @7.1.1    5 years ago

Harm to the country is what is happening without President Trump taking this necessary action

The illegal alien surge into the US is real despite the denials by the left. We aren’t talking about a few thousand as the left falsely claims.

“From October 2017 to January 2018, according to CBP figures, 150,346 crossed the border, a number that surged to 242,667 in the same four-month period ending in January 2019.

The biggest surge has come in the numbers who are crossing illegally. CBP apprehended more than 200,000 crossing illegally between October 2018 and this January, compared to 109,543 a year earlier — nearly doubling the total of illegal crossings.”

February there were over 70,000 caught at the border

At this rate, more illegals would invade this country than the populations of cities like San Francisco, Boston, Denver, Detroit, Milwaukee, Baltimore, and other major US cities.

But for the sake of argument, Let’s assume your argument and pursue that logic. Given the low figure of 30,000 per month (and actual numbers for the past 6 months are 50,000 per month) and that Border Patrol data shows they apprehend 50%:

That means EVERY DAY, 7 DAYS a WEEK we have 2000 illegals entering this country, with 1000 living here. 7000 a week, 364,000 a year getting free education, free healthcare paid for by taxpayers

If only 2% are criminals that is 14 criminals a week, 728 criminals a year entering our country

And we’re supposed to believe that is not a crisis for our country?   That kind of thinking is either insane, naive, or diabolical

evilone
Professor Guide
7.1.3  evilone  replied to  livefreeordie @7.1    5 years ago
I have no hesitation to say that the General is lying at worst and misstating the facts at best.

I see that. I don't have access to all the information the general has, so I'm not going to Monday morning quarterback the Commandant of the Marines.

The amount is irrelevant. There are rules and regulations the military has to follow in contracting and procurement. You can't just move money around because you feel like it. 

furthermore President Trump is Commander-in-Chief of the military and thee ultimate decision maker in how to best utilize the military for national security.

He's a narcissistic half-wit that can't take the time to read a security report. He get's his foreign policy advice from Fox News instead of actual security personnel. 

If the General is incapable or unwilling to follow chain of command, he should retire...

So you want people to just do as they are told even if it's the wrong thing to do? Wasn't it Mad Dog Mattis that had to explain to Trump why it would be bad to use nukes on Isis?

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
7.1.4  livefreeordie  replied to  evilone @7.1.3    5 years ago

No, the General is clearly in the wrong and the President is acting correctly in his capacity as Commander-in-Chief to defend the sovereignty of our country against a foreign invasion to will cripple our nation

Dulay
Professor Expert
7.1.5  Dulay  replied to  livefreeordie @7.1.4    5 years ago
No, the General is clearly in the wrong and the President is acting correctly in his capacity as Commander-in-Chief to defend the sovereignty of our country against a foreign invasion to will cripple our nation

Trump has insisted ad nauseam that he has made the Military stronger than ever before. If that is true, how the hell did we get so fucking weak that a couple hundred thousand rag tag unarmed refugees, many of which are women and children, threaten our sovereignty? 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
8  FLYNAVY1    5 years ago

Guess I'm an "Old Democrat" (more of a Goldwater / H. Bush Pub)

• Fact: Russians only respect power and force, and will only negotiate when cornered by such.
  • Fact: China possesses 95% of all rare-earth magnets, critical to every modern electronic gadget out there so we need to stay on decent terms, but maintain freedom of navigation through the south china sea.
  • The sources of critical materials like cobalt, and tungsten have to come by sea, so sea lanes have to stay open.
  • North Korea still has 10,000 tubes pointed at Seoul, and the only think keeping KN from heading south are the 30K troops we have along the 38th.

Given all that.... I'm going to have a hard time believing that a few thousand unarmed women and children at the border meet the standard of a "National Emergency"

It wasn't too long ago that we sent about $8-$10 million a year to help with law enforcement down there in Nicaragua.  That helped people to stay down there rather than trying to cross our boarders.  I would say that 8-10 million figure is a much better investment than billions on a wall that wont work and will cost more than that annually on upkeep.

These are my views my friend....

It Is ME
Masters Guide
8.3  It Is ME  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @8    5 years ago
I'm going to have a hard time believing that a few thousand unarmed women and children at the border meet the standard of a "National Emergency"

Money doesn't matter to you ?

There is a "Cost".

JBB
Professor Principal
8.3.1  JBB  replied to  It Is ME @8.3    5 years ago

Yet every immigrant group that came here before ended up being net positives for our economy. In fact, we cannot reach out desired growth without them. It is not against the law to approach to our boarders an ask asylam so those doing so are not illegal. Pretty much everyone who ever immigrated to the United was in sort of refugee or another who came here to escape persecution or starvation or poverty or war. Current immigrants will end up processing chickens and pigs or cleaning hotel rooms and mowing grass or cooking the ethnic food everyone loves. What's wrong with that? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.3.2  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @8.3.1    5 years ago

Why bother having any immigration laws? What you seem to be advocating for is open borders.

Now, I know you won't admit it, but your words speak for themselves.

Dulay
Professor Expert
8.3.3  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @8.3.2    5 years ago
Why bother having any immigration laws?

JBB clearly stated that seeking asylum at the border IS following our immigration laws.

READ MORE CAREFULLY. 

What you seem to be advocating for is open borders.

You seem to reading into it what you want to see. 

Now, I know you won't admit it, but your words speak for themselves.

Well stating that your interpretation of JBB's comment is accurate no matter what he says is pretty convenient isn't it Tex? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.3.4  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @8.3.3    5 years ago

I did read his comment. What makes you think I didn't? Did you read MY post?

If you have a problem with my comments, come out and say it. I wasn't addressing you, but I will tell you that illegal is illegal, and whatever lame attempts to "justify" illegal aliens won't work with me. Either change the freaking laws or enforce them.

Dulay
Professor Expert
8.3.5  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @8.3.4    5 years ago
I did read his comment. What makes you think I didn't?

I presume that you did, that's why I suggested that you do so MORE CAREFULLY. 

Did you read MY post?

I would think that my reply made that evident. 

If you have a problem with my comments, come out and say it.

I already did.

READ MORE CAREFULLY. 

I wasn't addressing you, but I will tell you that illegal is illegal, and whatever lame attempts to "justify" illegal aliens won't work with me.

What works with you is irrelevant. 

Either change the freaking laws or enforce them.

Exactly. Follow the asylum laws or change them. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.3.6  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @8.3.5    5 years ago
I presume that you did, that's why I suggested that you do so MORE CAREFULLY.

Perhaps you should presume less and read more.

As if that is even possible.

Dulay
Professor Expert
8.3.7  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @8.3.6    5 years ago
Perhaps you should presume less and read more. As if that is even possible.

I presumed that you READ JBB's comment. You insist that you did. Change your mind? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.3.8  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @8.3.7    5 years ago
I presumed that you READ JBB's comment. You insist that you did. Change your mind?

Presume and assume whatever you wish. Good luck!

Moving on...…………………………….from inane conversations such as this.

Dulay
Professor Expert
8.3.9  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @8.3.8    5 years ago
Moving on...…………………………….from inane conversations such as this.

It'd be great if in the future you didn't start one. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.3.10  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @8.3.9    5 years ago
It'd be great if in the future you didn't start one.

Oh, cool.

Now we are going to pretend that I addressed you first. No matter what anyone's lying eyes can see in posts 8.3.2 and 8.3.3.

What fun!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @8    5 years ago
"...but maintain freedom of navigation through the south china sea."

I do read uncensored news sites here, and I've not heard of China interfering with any commercial maritime passage through the South China Sea, only about the provocative approaches of American warships. Can anyone provide a source establishing that China has interfered with commercial traffic?

Dulay
Professor Expert
8.4.1  Dulay  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.4    5 years ago

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
9  seeder  Bob Nelson    5 years ago

It's flabbergasting to see NT's right wing roast the commandant of the Marine Corps.

It's flabbergasting to see a bunch of armchair "soldiers" second-guessing the Marines on their training.

Do these people have no coherence at all?

... oh... uh... I guess that was a stupid question. Of course they don't...

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
10  Ronin2    5 years ago

Wow, where was the left in supporting McChrystal when he disagreed with Obama on Afghan strategy and was sacked? They were demanding McChrystal resign instead of forcing Obama to fire him. No "armchair soldiers" around then on the left then. No one on the left questioning Obama's ability (with 0 military experience and knowledge) as Commander in Chief of US forces.

Trump should fire this insubordinate general w/o delay and put someone in charge who is a team player, and will find solutions to problems- instead of being a part of one. 

If the left is so damn worried about military preparedness (don't make us laugh), they can allocate more money. But it seems that the 7 billion taken by Trump won't cut it- they had better give 13 billion to be safe.  After all "they hold the power of the purse".  Better contact your congress critter and tell them to get right on that./S

Kavika
Professor Principal
11  Kavika     5 years ago

Is that the same General McChrystal that blasted Trump for being immoral....Why yes it is. 

Former Top US Commander McChrystal Blasts Trump As Being Immoral And Dishonest

And of course Trump fired back cuz he knows more than the generals...

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
12  seeder  Bob Nelson    5 years ago

This has pretty much degenerated into a foodfight, so it's being locked.