╌>

Trump says mail-in voting is top threat to his re-election, Politico reports

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  flynavy1  •  4 years ago  •  129 comments

By:   Reuters

Trump says mail-in voting is top threat to his re-election, Politico reports
A Reuters/Ipsos poll in April showed most Americans, including a majority of Republicans, want the government to require mail-in ballots for the Nov. 3 presidential election

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said expanded mail-in voting could cost him re-election in November, according to a Politico interview published on Friday, as states continue to press for absentee balloting amid the novel coronavirus pandemic. 
Trump and his fellow Republicans have said voting by mail invites tampering, although numerous studies have found little evidence of widespread voter fraud connected to mail-in balloting, and have filed lawsuits and threatened to withhold federal funding over the issue.
“My biggest risk is that we don’t win lawsuits,” Trump told Politico in the interview, conducted on Thursday. “If we don’t win those lawsuits ... I think it puts the election at risk.”
The coronavirus outbreak, which has killed more than 118,000 Americans and led to fears of a second wave of infections in the autumn, has pushed a number states to expand mail-in voting. Some parts of the country have seen a recent spike in cases. 
Long lines in Georgia’s nominating contest last week following other voting problems in several other states in recent weeks also have raised concerns about potential voting problems in November’s presidential contest.
Meanwhile, lawsuits over mail-in voting have been filed in several states, including California, Texas and Arizona.
A Reuters/Ipsos poll in April showed most Americans, including a majority of Republicans, want the government to

visit seeded article for remaining content

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1  seeder  FLYNAVY1    4 years ago

Nah.... I call bullshit on the headline.

Trump's mouth, racist tweets, and self serving policies are the biggest threat to his re-election.  

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1    4 years ago
Trump's mouth, racist tweets, and self serving policies are the biggest threat to his re-election.

I agree, but of course he'll never recognize it (or admit it).  Regarding mail-in ballots, either he really is scared shitless, or he is setting up lawsuit possibilities in advance.  Or both.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.1  Dulay  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1    4 years ago

They are already selectively filing lawsuits. The RNC filed against CA. We'll see who else the go after. 

I find it utterly hypocritical for Trump to decry mail in voting while voting by mail himself. 

Good for me not thee. 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1.1.2  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Dulay @1.1.1    4 years ago
....utterly hypocritical for Trump to decry mail in voting while voting by mail himself.
Yet how many of the Trump-Fluffers that visit NT willingly accept the double standard....  Obviously they are all in on suppressing the vote too.

It's never been about voter fraud...... just about the minority trying to hold power at all costs.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.3  Dulay  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1.1.2    4 years ago
Yet how many of the Trump-Fluffers that visit NT willingly accept the double standard....  Obviously they are all in on suppressing the vote too.

All of them it seems. It's been reported that Trump voted in Florida illegally since Mar a lago is NOT his residence. In fact, Trump signed a contract with the county stating that he would NEVER live at Mar a lago.

It's interesting that the Sec. of the State of Florida reported that the cop that killed George Floyd voted there illegally but there hasn't been a peep out of him about Trump. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.1.4  Thrawn 31  replied to  Dulay @1.1.1    4 years ago
Or better yet, what if the Democrats do ascend to dominance of the government in general. Will they still be advocating for absentee balloting that doesn't have safeguards in place?

That's the worst part. His fat ass can't be bothered to vote in person but everyone else should have to? 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.5  cjcold  replied to  Dulay @1.1.3    4 years ago

The cop that killed George Floyd used to work with him as a club bouncer.

Yep. They knew each other and the cop had a history of extreme violence.

Premeditated murder in the first degree.

His wife divorced him for many good reasons.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1    4 years ago

What will be his excuse when those who vote in person hand his ass to him?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.2.1  cjcold  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.2    4 years ago

Have already requested a mail-in ballot just like the last general election.

I'll vote in person if it doesn't show up. VOTE FOLKS!!!!!!

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.2  devangelical  replied to  cjcold @1.2.1    4 years ago

I started voting by mail when the temptation to drive thru all the tea party dipshits set up at the intersection became way too irresistible for me.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.2.3  cjcold  replied to  devangelical @1.2.2    4 years ago

Thankfully, way out here on the prairie, we're just happy to see each other again at the poll and catch up rather than ask each other who we voted for. Saw a cousin I hadn't seen in years last time I drove the 60 miles to vote in person.

evilone
Professor Guide
2  evilone    4 years ago

Of course more people voting is bad for Trump. More people dislike him than those that do.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.1  cjcold  replied to  evilone @2    4 years ago

Still curious as to how any sane person could like Trump. Oops, there's that "sane" word again.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.2  It Is ME  replied to  evilone @2    4 years ago
More people dislike him than those that do.

At least that's what thee "Media" tells you anyway.

Wonder how that Real " Million Person supporting march " will go today ? jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif

I sure hope the "Animals" from the Protest don't show up. They're such "BuzzKILLERS" !

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.2.1  Krishna  replied to  It Is ME @2.2    4 years ago
BuzzKILLERS" !

WTF?

The last I looked, Buzz is alive and well-- and actively participating on NT!

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.2  Ozzwald  replied to  It Is ME @2.2    4 years ago
At least that's what thee "Media" tells you anyway.

And you are going to provide evidence to support your claim????

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3  lady in black    4 years ago

Poor wittle crooked bunker donnie, but it's okay that he votes by mail

Thomas
Senior Guide
4  Thomas    4 years ago

From the article:

In March, as Congress wrestled with coronavirus economic relief and Democrats pushed to expand access to voting, including mail-in balloting, Trump told Fox News: “If you ever agreed to it you’d never have a Republican elected in this country again.”
Asked if he would accept the results of the election no matter the outcome, Trump told Politico that was a question “you can never answer.”
He told Fox News last week he would “go on and do other things” if he did not win a second term.

He sure uses quite a few absolutes for one so vague on the particulars. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1  Krishna  replied to  Thomas @4    4 years ago
He sure uses quite a few absolutes for one so vague on the particulars. 

Perhaps that's because he's the world's leading expert on . . . everything!

Trump: I know more about _______ than anyone!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Krishna @4.1    4 years ago

What he DOESN'T know about the courts he will find out when he appears before the judge.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5  It Is ME    4 years ago

Between 2012 and 2018, 28.3 million mail-in ballots remain unaccounted for, according to data from the federal Election Assistance Commission. The missing ballots amount to nearly one in five of all absentee ballots and ballots mailed to voters residing in states that do elections exclusively by mail.
States and local authorities simply have no idea what happened to these ballots since they were mailed – and the figure of 28 million missing ballots is likely even higher because some areas in the country, notably Chicago, did not respond to the federal agency’s survey questions. This figure does not include ballots that were spoiled, undeliverable, or came back for any reason.

And that was before Covid-19. jrSmiley_123_smiley_image.gif

No possible problem, if "vote in person" is eliminated, could occur ! jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

None ! jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif

They've Fixed the problem already. jrSmiley_99_smiley_image.jpg

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
5.1  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  It Is ME @5    4 years ago

....No possible problem, if "vote in person" is eliminated. could occur!

What, you now want to eliminate "vote in person"..?   Too un-American IIM.  Nice strawman argument though.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @5.1    4 years ago
What, you now want to eliminate "vote in person"..? 

That's what you got from that comment ? jrSmiley_122_smiley_image.gif

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.1.2  cjcold  replied to  It Is ME @5.1.1    4 years ago

Pretty sure Trump knows he can't win and wants to do as much damage as possible  before Biden brings sanity to the WH.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  cjcold @5.1.2    4 years ago

Something he said recently proves that.  He plans to run against the Governor of AK in TWO years.  A POTUS serves FOUR years.  Does he plan to be both a gov and a POTUS at the same time or what?

Ender
Professor Principal
5.2  Ender  replied to  It Is ME @5    4 years ago
RealClearPolitics recently published a   news story   and a   column   both of which made the astounding assertion that 28 million mail-in ballots went “missing” over the last four general elections. If true, it could be a major stain on the mail-ballot voting process.

But it is not true. Here’s why. Both pieces used the term “missing” to describe ballots that were mailed out to voters but not cast by those voters. By this logic, all of the over 250 million votes not cast by in-person Election Day voters from 2012 to 2018 are also “missing.”

Conflating voters choosing not to cast their ballot with “missing” ballots is a fundamental flaw in the argument against a voting system that is tried and true, with over a quarter of a   billion   votes cast nationally from mailed-out ballots since 2000.  In this time when election officials are working to allow voters to participate without putting their health in danger, it is important that this system is evaluated with facts, not misconstrued data.

The simple fact is: An un-cast ballot is not a missing ballot.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.2.1  It Is ME  replied to  Ender @5.2    4 years ago

real clear politics contradicted themselves ?

Ender
Professor Principal
5.2.2  Ender  replied to  It Is ME @5.2.1    4 years ago

Or made a correction.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.2.3  It Is ME  replied to  Ender @5.2.2    4 years ago

So, which one is truly correct ?

Gotta love the "New Days" of the "I did before I didn't" movement. jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

Ender
Professor Principal
5.2.4  Ender  replied to  It Is ME @5.2.3    4 years ago

They are not missing if they were just never used. It is not like they can be used again in the next election.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.2.5  It Is ME  replied to  Ender @5.2.4    4 years ago
They are not missing if they were just never used.

That's what RealClearPolitcs says anyway. jrSmiley_68_smiley_image.png

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @5.2.4    4 years ago

Could it be assumed that many who received ballots in the mail decided to vote in person instead, which means that a missing ballot may well not have been a missing vote?  As well, was it not reported that many of the Bernie supporters in the last election refused to vote, in which case had they been sent a mail ballot it will not have been mailed back?

I cannot believe at this time of rising infections and deaths that the American government would do anything possible to try to contain it, and mail-in ballots is so logical that even a nincompoop should know that the logical and proper thing to do would be to encourage it.  Cannot the American people understand that Trump has NO concern for the health and life of Americans if he can find a way to assure his reelection?  How does it feel to be an American and to know that?   I know how I would feel if I were an American.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.2.7  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.2.6    4 years ago

I once requested a mail in ballot because I was out of state and not sure I would be home in time to vote in person.  As it turned out, I did get home in time.  My mail in ballot was not missing, I knew right where it was.

JBB
Professor Principal
6  JBB    4 years ago

Voting is the number one threat to Trump's reelection!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.1  It Is ME  replied to  JBB @6    4 years ago

[deleted we] already know that's not true. [deleted]

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.1.1  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  It Is ME @6.1    4 years ago

You could fill an encyclopedia with what Trump supporters don't know.....

Republicans lose when voters turn out in high numbers and they know it....

After record primary turnout, Iowa senate Republicans try to limit vote-by-mail in presidential election

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.1.2  It Is ME  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.1.1    4 years ago

You could fill an encyclopedia with what Trump supporters don't know.....
Republicans lose when voters turn out in high numbers and they know it....

Apparently …….. that's "False" !

Trump WON !

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @6    4 years ago

LOL. Just like voting was a threat to him winning in 2016, eh?

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.2.1  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2    4 years ago

Obviously the concept of voter suppression under the thin guise of voter fraud is something you've supported wholeheartedly. 

Care to discuss Georgia's last election cycle?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.2.1    4 years ago
Obviously the concept of voter suppression under the thin guise of voter fraud is something you've supported wholeheartedly. 

Only thing obvious in that statement is that you don't have a freaking clue about anything I support.

Just going to stick to your usual snark?

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.2.3  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.2    4 years ago

Hmmmm.... must have hit that nerve again..

Once more.... care to explain republican voter suppression in Georgia, Wisconsin, and now Iowa?

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
6.2.4  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2    4 years ago
Just like voting was a threat to him winning in 2016, eh?

I know that logic and reason come hard to some, but I don't think I would bet the farm on the very rare case where a candidate wins the electoral college but not the popular vote. This has only happened 5 times in the last 240 years. By the way some yahoo's make it sound they believe that's the new normal and all polls can never be trusted again (even though the 2016 polls were actually accurate, they were just counting the popular vote margins). Now 2016, a one off rarity, is being used by every Trump sycophant as proof he'll never be able to lose again. It really is sad to watch such unwarranted glee as they snicker and laugh about their commander in-competents supposed chances in 2020.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.5  Texan1211  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.2.3    4 years ago
Hmmmm.... must have hit that nerve again..

Well, that at least is a true statement. I DO get pissed off when total strangers think they know me and try to tell me what I support. I don't like stupid comments, either, so there is that too.

Why do you keep deflecting and trying to change the subject?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.6  Texan1211  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @6.2.4    4 years ago
I know that logic and reason come hard to some,

That's okay, I still hold a little hope for you. Who the hell is betting on anything  here?

And I have never said Trump couldn't lose. Please quote me if you think I said it.

I know it is still hard for some folks to accept, but Trump won in 2016 like every other President in your lifetime--by getting at least the minimum number of electoral votes as required by the Constitution.

I am sure you have high hopes for Biden like you did for your Abuela Clinton.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2    4 years ago
"LOL. Just like voting was a threat to him winning in 2016, eh?"

Then why is he trying to prevent it?

JBB
Professor Principal
6.2.8  JBB  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.7    4 years ago

Well, that finally shut him up...

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
6.2.9  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.5    4 years ago
Well, that at least is a true statement. I DO get pissed off when total strangers think they know me and try to tell me what I support. I don't like stupid comments, either, so there is that too.

R U Your worst enemy here then...?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.10  Texan1211  replied to  igknorantzrulz @6.2.9    4 years ago

N

O

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.11  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.7    4 years ago
Then why is he trying to prevent it?

Please do quote Trump saying he will try to prevent people from voting.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.12  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.11    4 years ago

Have I misread the title of this seed?

HIs lawsuits attempting to prevent the expansion of mail-in ballots speak loud enough for even YOU to hear.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.13  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.12    4 years ago

There IS another way of voting--one which we have had a very long time.

Vote in person.

But what I asked was a quote from Trump saying he would prevent people from voting.

Just asking for proof for what was claimed.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.14  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.13    4 years ago

My comment was based on what the Politico article said as referred to by Reuters, in what is posted in the seed above.  I have no reason to disbelieve what was reported, so there is no reason for me to justify my comment with a Trump quotation.   Trump's actions are IMO (save for his support of Israel) as bad as his words, and they speak for him.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.15  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.14    4 years ago

Okay, unable to back up the claim that Trump wants to prevent people from voting.

Got it.

Thanks?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.2.16  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  igknorantzrulz @6.2.9    4 years ago
I don't like stupid comments,

Then why does he make them?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.17  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.15    4 years ago

Deny, deny, deny, point fingers, blame, blame blame, and never admit fault.  It's not going to get your hero reelected.  Seems like some people are going to need to be subjected to a suicide watch if their hero gets booted out of the White House.

I'll bet there's even denial that the A-H suggested that they slow down the testing because it increases the infection numbers. BRILLIANT!!!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.18  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.17    4 years ago
Deny, deny, deny, point fingers, blame, blame blame, and never admit fault.  It's not going to get your hero reelected.  Seems like some people are going to need to be subjected to a suicide watch if their hero gets booted out of the White House. I'll bet there's even denial that the A-H suggested that they slow down the testing because it increases the infection numbers. BRILLIANT!!!

I didn't deny shit. Get it straight.

Why can you claim that crap and be so unable to prove any of what you claim I did?

Democrats tried to "boot him out". They failed miserably. Now, he may very well lose the election. So be it if it happens.

Either way, I will support the President of the United States and never claim something as dumb as "He's not my President".

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.19  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.18    4 years ago

Good for you.  You're now the second member I've seen who has strongly supported Trump up until now to finally realize that maybe he isn't going to be reelected.  What made you realize that?

By the way, IMO there isn't an American who can honestly say of whomsoever the POTUS may be that "He's not my president."  There are only a few active members of this site who can correctly say that, and I'm one of them. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.20  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.19    4 years ago
Good for you.  You're now the second member I've seen who has strongly supported Trump up until now to finally realize that maybe he isn't going to be reelected.  What made you realize that?

History. Even a sure thing like Hillary can lose.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6.2.21  cjcold  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.2.3    4 years ago

Don't forget about the Kochs messing with voter rights in the land of OZ.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.2.22  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.17    4 years ago

Haven't you heard?  He was joking.  One of his toadies (I forget who) stated that in an interview.  The interviewer reminded him that it wasn't the first time he said that.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.2.23  Sean Treacy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.17    4 years ago
bet there's even denial that the A-H suggested that they slow down the testing because it increases the infection numbers. BRILLIANT

It's the China model.  Did you pay any attention to what China did between the fall and February 2020? 

Of course,  as Chinese apologists have proven, it works.  It doesn't matter how ridiculous the number,  CCP stooges will parrot whatever their leaders feed them. 

Much like the Chinese parrots, some progressives who don't understand how the disease and testing works think the actual number of reported infections tracks the actual number of infections.  Or they just use whatever number is handy to smear the USA.   You'll see the ignorant people claim "The US only has X amount of the world's population, but has a Y(a bigger number) percentage of covid cases. It's a good way to know you are dealing with either a stooge or an idiot. 

So, for those people, stopping testing would in fact mean the disease has gone away. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.24  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sean Treacy @6.2.23    4 years ago

Well, I guess what Americans are doing works - always wanting to be the best at everything is accomplished with the numbers of infections and deaths. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.2.25  Sean Treacy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.24    4 years ago

to repeat myself, "some progressives who don't understand how the disease and testing works think the actual number of reported infections tracks the actual number of infections."

In Mexico, for instance,  over 50% of the people who take covid tests are positive.

In the US, it's 5%. At the worst part of the epidemic, that number was around 20%

Think about what that means with regards to the actual spread of the disease and it's relationship to reported cases. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.26  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sean Treacy @6.2.25    4 years ago

Yean, 2 milllion infected and 120,000 dead.  That's what it means. 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.2.27  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.5    4 years ago

What is wrong with you?  Go read the headline of this seed again Tex.   This seed is about mail in ballots, and I bring up very applicable topics regarding republicans trying to suppress the vote by denying mail in ballots, and other vile methods to keep people that deserve to vote from voting.

Get on the topic or go get some coffee until you can. 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.2.28  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.13    4 years ago

He's not Tex....

Answer the simple question Tex... Why is it all fine and dandy for:

Trump, Pence, Ivanka, Jared, the liar Kayleigh McEnany, Wilbur Ross, Larry Kudlow, and Betsy DeVos, the head of the RNC Ronna McDaniel, Brad Parscale, and William Barr. 

...all high profile Trump supporters to be able to vote by mail in ballot, and the rest of us not?

Love to see your answer Tex... I'm sure your response will be one for the record books...  

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.2.29  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.15    4 years ago

It's not only Trump, it's the entire GOP that wants to suppress the vote..

Look at Iowa a just one example...

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JBB @6    4 years ago

He and the Mrs. both voted by mail last time.

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
7  Citizen Kane-473667    4 years ago

The problem can be solved through the use of bio-metrics, namely fingerprinting of ballots to ensure only the registered voter submitted it. This would have to be done early enough though that any ballots with smudged fingerprints could be verified by a secondary method before the end of the election.

Now just some food for thought:

What if you vote early, and change your mind? What if your candidate drops out of the race before the in-person voting day?

Or better yet, what if the Democrats do ascend to dominance of the government in general. Will they still be advocating for absentee balloting that doesn't have safeguards in place?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.1  It Is ME  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @7    4 years ago
The problem can be solved through the use of bio-metrics, namely fingerprinting of ballots to ensure only the registered voter submitted it.

That would be "Racists". Folks can't seem to get to even the simple "Booth"....even with all the relatives they have in their lives ! Ya think they have relatives that are "Tech" savvy ? jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
7.1.1  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  It Is ME @7.1    4 years ago
CK's concept isn't racist, but your follow-up comment drips of it....

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.1.2  It Is ME  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @7.1.1    4 years ago
CK's concept isn't racist, but your follow-up comment drips of it....

I didn't say "THE COMMENT" was racist, the "Concept" would be. jrSmiley_123_smiley_image.gif

If it's racist to require in-person voting or a simple "Card" that says you can vote….How is forcing "Technology" Not ?

Don't forget...."Minority" People don't have computers or "Smart" phones, let alone cars or relatives that can take them somewhere. jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif  

bugsy
Professor Participates
7.1.3  bugsy  replied to  It Is ME @7.1.2    4 years ago

Ami Horowitz on what white liberals think about blacks.

This is too fukin funny

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7.1.4  Thrawn 31  replied to  bugsy @7.1.3    4 years ago

Meh, ask a conservative what the second amendment actually says, you will get the same type of shit. The general public is fucking dumb, I have been saying this for years. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
7.1.5  bugsy  replied to  Thrawn 31 @7.1.4    4 years ago

The Second Amendment is plainly written in the Constitution.

White liberals think blacks can't get IDs or know how to vote, essentially thinking they are a bunch of illiterate dumbasses. THAT is on video.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.1.6  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @7.1.1    4 years ago

Try reeks, but consider the source.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
7.2  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @7    4 years ago

....advocating for absentee balloting that doesn't have safeguards in place?

And your proof/support of that statement my fine libertarian friend would be.....what ?????

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
7.2.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @7.2    4 years ago
And your proof/support of that statement my fine libertarian friend would be.....what ?????

I wouldn't bother waiting for an answer, those types just throw out some outrageous lie and expect others to gobble it up like their brain damaged right wing extremists and conspiracy theory dopes do. They don't expect to have to prove any of their careless false aspersions.

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
7.2.2  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @7.2    4 years ago

The very well known and well publicized opposition by the Democratic Party to Voter I.D. laws. How many links do you want. 1? 10? 100? 1000? 10,000?

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
7.2.3  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @7.2.1    4 years ago
those types

What types would that be?  Now since the question was directed at me and you told FLYNAVY1 that "those types" are throwing out outrageous claims and won't be answering, you just got proven wrong. TWICE!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.2.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @7.2.2    4 years ago

Voter ID laws address a non existent problem (in person voter fraud). 

Usually when non existent problems are addressed, there is nefarious intention. In this case the intention is to have less minorities vote, thus hopefully advancing the prospects of republican candidates. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
7.2.5  bugsy  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @7.2.3    4 years ago
you just got proven wrong. TWICE!

To be honest, not really difficult to do

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
7.2.6  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @7.2.3    4 years ago
you just got proven wrong. TWICE!

You still haven't supplied any facts to support your spurious claim. Democrats are not calling for "absentee balloting that doesn't have safeguards in place". That's pure unadulterated horse shit. So go back to shoveling, go find some right wing rag claiming what you think you know about what Democrats actually want.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
7.2.7  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @7.2.2    4 years ago

No..... you made this statement...

...advocating for absentee balloting that doesn't have safeguards in place?

And I asked for proof for you to back up that statement, not just another broad generalized statement from you.

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
7.2.8  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @7.2.7    4 years ago
And I asked for proof for you to back up that statement

Does NPR count?

FESSLER: Marc Elias is the lead attorney for the Democrats. He says the party opposes laws that restrict voters' ability to cast ballots, especially during the current health crisis.

ELIAS: And if states won't do the right things, if state officials won't do the right things, then I would expect that you'll see litigation.

FESSLER: He's already filed more than 20 lawsuits in 14 states, challenging existing voting rules, including restrictions on mail-in balloting , such as requiring witness signatures . Elias expects before the year is out that the number of lawsuits could double , with the focus on key battleground states such as Wisconsin, Georgia and Pennsylvania.

I realize this is a Far Right Wing Conspiracy site and it was buried on the Dark Web so people couldn't readily find it, so I thought I would be nice and link to it for everyone.  Make sure you turn on yur Private Browsing and use a VPN and TOR browser before viewing!

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
7.2.9  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @7.2.8    4 years ago

And exactly where does it say anything about obliterating safeguards as you would have it CK?  

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
7.2.10  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @7.2.9    4 years ago

YOU MEAN LIKE IT BEING WITNESSED??? Sorry, didn't mean to shout.  Oh wait, yes I did since the bolding didn't catch your eye...

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @7    4 years ago
The problem can be solved through the use of bio-metrics, namely fingerprinting of ballots to ensure only the registered voter submitted it.

Long as they send the shit to do it then fine.

What if you vote early, and change your mind? What if your candidate drops out of the race before the in-person voting day?

Then wait a little bit? Don't send your ballot out right away. 

I am not a registered democrat but I have said this for awhile now, fuck in person voting. What a goddamn waste of time first off, and secondly if we are only going to allow it for one REALLY inconvenient day out of the week (fucking Tuesday?) and not mandate that people are allowed to take off work to go do it? What the hell? 

Go completely mail in my opinion, I have proudly only voted mail in for my entire voting life. Hell my dad, a lifelong Republican cannot even remember the last time he voted in person, he has mailed his in for that long. 

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
7.3.1  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  Thrawn 31 @7.3    4 years ago
and not mandate that people are allowed to take off work to go do it?

Actually there IS a mandate that employers MUST give you time to go vote without any penalties. Now whether you get paid for the time you are gone to vote, is totally up to the employer.

As to sending you the stuff for the fingerprinting, I agree; it should be supplied. I don't know about you, but every election year I get a card in the mail confirming my registration to vote that I have to sign and return. This would be a good time to start collecting those fingerprints.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7.3.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @7.3.1    4 years ago
Actually there IS a mandate that employers MUST give you time to go vote without any penalties. Now whether you get paid for the time you are gone to vote, is totally up to the employer.

Lol, in right to work states that mandate means jack shit. It needs to be an official paid national holiday.

As to sending you the stuff for the fingerprinting, I agree; it should be supplied.

Can't require me to do something if you don't give me the shit to do it with.

I don't know about you, but every election year I get a card in the mail confirming my registration to vote that I have to sign and return.

Yep.

This would be a good time to start collecting those fingerprints.

I am sure there are legal reasons why that would be tricky though. And you will see the biggest backlash to that coming from conservatives. 

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
7.3.3  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  Thrawn 31 @7.3.2    4 years ago
I am sure there are legal reasons why that would be tricky though.

If it is given as an option, not a requirement, that would probably help combat opposition. I would think that the law if it were required, would also ban LEO's from tapping into that database with  possible exceptions for identifying a dead body.or contacting a relative in the case of a medical emergency. It would have to have the same privacy safeguards as your medical records.

And you will see the biggest backlash to that coming from conservatives. 

YEP! Unless the safeguards I mentioned above are included.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
7.3.4  seeder  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @7.3.1    4 years ago
This would be a good time to start collecting those fingerprints.
Next you'll want to put a chip in everyone's neck.... like what's done at the vets office.
I thought you libertarians were worried about national registries and big brother.

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
7.3.5  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @7.3.4    4 years ago
I thought you libertarians were worried about national registries and big brother.

And I though you Big Brother advocates were all for chipping and tracking everyone. I guess we are a little more dimensional in our thinking than those pigeonhole labels allow...

evilone
Professor Guide
7.3.6  evilone  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @7.3.5    4 years ago
And I though you Big Brother advocates were all for chipping and tracking everyone.

You don't have to chip anyone when you make everyone think they can't survive without the latest smart phone.

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
7.3.7  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  evilone @7.3.6    4 years ago
You don't have to chip anyone when you make everyone think they can't survive without the latest smart phone.

AMEN BROTHER!!!!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @7    4 years ago

fingerprinting of ballots to ensure only the registered voter submitted it

What if the person does not have their prints in a data base?

Dulay
Professor Expert
7.5  Dulay  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @7    4 years ago

What safeguards are you proposing CK? They mail it to you home. You fill it out and sign it under penalty of perjury and mail it back. 

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
7.5.1  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  Dulay @7.5    4 years ago
What safeguards are you proposing CK?

That is a very good question.  Maybe a pin number created by the voter? Or like a registered fingerprint chosen by the voter? A secret password they create? Possibilities are boundless but it would help to allay the fears of ballot box stuffing by people stealing ballots out of the trash and filling them out.

Dulay
Professor Expert
7.5.2  Dulay  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @7.5.1    4 years ago

You know that they can compare the signatures on the ballot to the signature on the voter registration form right? Since EVERY credit card company uses that metric, I'd think that it would be a reliable metric for voting. 

What evidence do you have of "people stealing ballots out of the trash and filling them out"? Link?

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
7.5.3  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  Dulay @7.5.2    4 years ago
Since EVERY credit card company uses that metric, I'd think that it would be a reliable metric for voting.

Actually signatures are too easy to forge which is why credit card companies are now using chip technology instead.

I recalled seeing something in 2016 about ballots being stolen from trash cans outside of Post Offices in California and being sent in that people had tossed when they sorted their mail.Can't find the story now, only mentions of it on blog sites like this one. 

And of course those stolen from actual mailboxes.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.5.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @7.5.3    4 years ago

What about retinal scanning?  It has become a new technology but might be cost prohibitive.  

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
7.5.5  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7.5.4    4 years ago

Not a bad idea either. Most of our electronic devices have the technology already built in, or you can download an app for it. There are many ways we can ensure only registered voters vote, and only vote once, if we really want to. I don't think the Politicians really want to make it easier to vote which is why they are keeping us locked into these archaic systems we have now.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.5.6  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @7.5.5    4 years ago

Maybe the only answer is to have every voter gather in a field and raise their hands.jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Dulay
Professor Expert
7.5.7  Dulay  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @7.5.3    4 years ago
Actually signatures are too easy to forge which is why credit card companies are now using chip technology instead.

It's pretty fucking hard to forge a signature that you don't have an example of CK. jrSmiley_84_smiley_image.gif

And of course those stolen from actual mailboxes.

From your link: 

The wet, damaged ballots were taken to the Chugiak Post office, where authorities were notified. Investigators say this appears to be a typical mail theft case, not an attempt to interfere with the election.

See above emoji. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7.5.9  Thrawn 31  replied to  Kathleen @7.5.8    4 years ago

Meh, standing in lines just pisses me off. Its better that I don't do that and then go out to dinner. 

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
7.5.10  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  Dulay @7.5.7    4 years ago
It's pretty fucking hard to forge a signature that you don't have an example of CK.

Not at all. Just sign them any way you want and depend on the laziness of the people checking them. You would be surprised how often that works, especially when those doing the checking are tasked with looking at thousands per day. Most will just check to make sure the ballot actually HAS a signature and that is all they will do other than tally the votes on it.

See above emoji. 

I prefer this one:

jrSmiley_90_smiley_image.gif

Dulay
Professor Expert
7.5.11  Dulay  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @7.5.10    4 years ago
Not at all. Just sign them any way you want and depend on the laziness of the people checking them. You would be surprised how often that works, especially when those doing the checking are tasked with looking at thousands per day. Most will just check to make sure the ballot actually HAS a signature and that is all they will do other than tally the votes on it.

I would be surprised if you had one iota of evidence to support that bullshit. Can you surprise me CK? 

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
7.5.12  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  Dulay @7.5.11    4 years ago

You mean like this?

The 32-year-old said his signature has changed a lot over the years , but because he renews his license online, his 18-year-old signature is still the one on his license . He never thought that would cause problems with his ballot. 

Proving that his signature, which has changed a lot over 18 years, was not called into question until now proving that the only thing the "checkers" were really looking for was a signed ballot!

I guess part of the problem may be:

La Follette and the American Civil Liberties Union of Northern California say elections officials compare the handwriting on the vote-by-mail ballots, or absentee ballots, with a signature on file, but receive no training in handwriting identification and comparison.

Guess what?

I would be surprised if you had one iota of evidence to support that bullshit.

Guess it isn't me that is full of bullshit after all!

Dulay
Professor Expert
7.5.13  Dulay  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @7.5.12    4 years ago
Proving that his signature, which has changed a lot over 18 years, was not called into question until now proving that the only thing the "checkers" were really looking for was a signed ballot!

CK, you fucking link proves that they compared TWO examples of his fucking signatures. In short, YOUR link contradicts YOUR bullshit. 

Then, just to illustrate how oh so very uninformed you are, you post ANOTHER link to ANOTHER example of election officials comparing signatures from ballots with signatures on file. 

Did you forget what you said CK? You said:

Most will just check to make sure the ballot actually HAS a signature and that is all they will do other than tally the votes on it.

Thanks for providing the unequivocal proof that you were wrong. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
8  Thrawn 31    4 years ago

I am proud to say that I have never once wasted my time going to an actual location to vote, every election I have voted in has been from the convenience of my home and mailbox. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1  Kavika   replied to  Thrawn 31 @8    4 years ago

Agreed. I've voted by mail while in the military, as an ex pat and while living in the US and I intend to keep doing so.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
8.1.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Kavika @8.1    4 years ago

So much more convenient isn't it? 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
9  bbl-1    4 years ago

Everything is a threat to Trump.  Truth, taxes, dalliances, personal and public records and all the rest.

For a certain party and certain politicians the fewer people that vote the better it is for them.  As far as Trump, he does not need the votes, his need is only in the numbers generated in certain states.  None the less, Trump is dancing on the edge of a very sharp sword with another sword hanging over his head should he lose.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  bbl-1 @9    4 years ago

The only votes he needs are from the EC as proven in 2016.