╌>

Delta Flight Returns to Gate, Removes Passenger Refusing to Wear Mask

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sister-mary-agnes-ample-bottom  •  4 years ago  •  52 comments

By:   David Chiu

"Delta requires masks on every flight for the safety of our customers and crew," said an airline spokeswoman.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A passenger who refused to wear a mask forced a Delta flight bound for Los Angeles to return back Saturday evening to its point of takeoff at Metro Airport in Detroit, according to Deadline Detroit.

The airline confirmed the incident to the outlet early Sunday.

"The customer was removed from the plane and the flight departed without incident," said spokeswoman Kristin Seay. "Delta requires masks on every flight for the safety of our customers and crew."

No further details were offered about the identity of the passenger and why they refused to wear the mask, or what happened to them after they were removed from the flight, which resumed about 30 minutes late.

Newsweek reached out to Delta's media relations department for additional comment.

Reportedly, one of the passengers on the flight included the mother of Alexis Wiley, the chief of staff for Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan.

"My mom's @Delta flight from Detroit to LA just turned around and went back to the gate because a passenger refused to wear a mask. Flight attendants announced masks are non negotiable! Thank you @Delta for putting passenger safety first! @LASpeech," Wiley wrote on Twitter Saturday.

My momas @Delta flight from Detroit to LA just turned around and went back to the gate because a passenger refused to wear a mask. Flight attendants announced masks are non negotiable! Thank you @Delta for putting passenger safety first! @LASpeech pic.twitter.com/vuMUl3fQVH — Alexis Wiley (@AlexisWileyNews) September 13, 2020

According to Delta's website, passengers and the airline's employees are mandated to wear a face covering "on board the aircraft for the duration of the flight - except limited time while eating or drinking."

It further adds: "Customers with unique mask requirements should bring the appropriate face covering that best meets their needs. Customers with underlying conditions that explicitly prevent the wearing of a face covering or mask are strongly encouraged to reconsider travel or should be prepared to complete a 'Clearance-to-Fly' process prior to departure at the airport. If you require this exemption, please arrive early to complete the process during check-in and avoid missing your flight - this process can take over one hour. Please arrive early to allow additional time."

Delta also says that face coverings are required at the airline's lobby check-in, Delta Sky Clubs, boarding gate areas, and jet bridges.

What happened on the Delta flight is the latest in a number of incidents involving passengers who refused to don a mask while traveling on a plane. An incident in July involving another Delta flight resulted in that plane returning to the gate after two passengers did not want to wear face coverings. That came a day after Delta CEO Ed Bastian said that passengers who don't comply with the mask mandate will not be able to travel on the company's planes going forward. "You cannot board a Delta plane unless you have a mask on. If you board the plane and you insist on not wearing your mask, we will insist that you don't fly Delta into the future," Bastian told the Today show.

In August, a mother and her six children were removed from a JetBlue flight after the mother's two-year-old daughter did not want to wear a face covering. The airline said in a statement that anyone over the age of two is required to wear a mask to be able to travel on its plane.

On Wednesday, an American Airlines flight from Chicago to Los Angeles experienced trouble when a woman refused to wear a mask, which prompted her to be chastised by her fellow passengers. Eventually, the woman was taken off the plane, according to Fox 10.

An American Airlines spokesperson said of the incident in a statement: "Prior to departure, the customer was asked to exit the aircraft if they would not comply with the face covering requirement, per company policy. The customer became disruptive and was met by law enforcement upon exiting the aircraft. The flight departed for LAX thereafter."

In addition to Delta, American Airlines and JetBlue, Southwest Airlines and United Airlines have instituted their own mask polices.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    4 years ago

Good.  I don't care what the issue is, have the decency to keep your funk to yourself.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1    4 years ago

above and beyond. they should have just opened the cabin door and tossed the offender out on the tarmac.

Professor Guide
1.1.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  devangelical @1.1    4 years ago
they should have just opened the cabin door and tossed the offender out on the tarmac.

That very thought crossed my mind a time or two, and it wasn't for anything as serious as a deadly disease.  More like:

passenger:  Miss?  Miss?!  Miss!!!!!  Yo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

me:  Only my family is allowed to call me Yo.  Did you need something?

passenger:  A pillow.

me:  Of course.  You can step through this way and choose the pillow that is just right for you.  On the tarmac.  Two stories down.  

Of course I'm just kidding.  No flight attendant would ever think such a thing.  jrSmiley_20_smiley_image.gif

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1.1    4 years ago

all the flight attendants I've ever known were very friendly.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.3  cjcold  replied to  devangelical @1.1.2    4 years ago

Smoked pot and joined the mile high club in the bathroom on a Frontier flight back in the sixties. The stewardess (that's what they were called back then) winked at us when we exited and rapidly locked the door to let it air out.

The good old days.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.4  cjcold  replied to  cjcold @1.1.3    4 years ago

Actually wasn't Frontier. Not sure what airline it was. Used to fly frequently and just like cities, airlines tended to morph into each other. 

Just like Spinal Tap sometimes we had no idea what city we were in.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
2  lady in black    4 years ago

They should charge the fucker for the extra fuel used to return.  Self centered, selfish, it's all about me asswipe

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1  devangelical  replied to  lady in black @2    4 years ago

I'm guessing no refund on that ticket. tough shit trumpster.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @2.1    4 years ago
tough shit trumpster.

TDS running rampant again, and you are assuming facts not in evidence. Typical, of course.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.1    4 years ago

so far the only example of Trump [deleted] here is the comment I'm responding to ...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @2.1.2    4 years ago

Please present ANY evidence you have that the passenger is a "trumpster".

Should I come back next week for that?

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.4  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.3    4 years ago

a lost cause for those with thin skins. count on that evidence appearing the same time texas secedes.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @2.1.4    4 years ago

yeah, I figured you'd have absolutely no facts to declare.

What's new?

Your TDS continues to get the best of you, leading you to post embarrassing, unsupported bullshit.

Hope they find a cure for you.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.6  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.5    4 years ago

OK key words coming out of his mouth: Communist, Sheep. 

Professor Guide
2.1.7  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  devangelical @2.1.2    4 years ago
so far the only example of T rump deleted here is the comment I'm responding to ...

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.8  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.3    4 years ago
Please present ANY evidence you have that the passenger is a "trumpster".

You know Texan, for someone that NEVER provides evidence of your own claims, it might be considered hypocritical of you to demand it of anyone else.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  lady in black @2    4 years ago

They should also have to pay any expenses of the other passengers that may have incurred due to this.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.2.1  devangelical  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.2    4 years ago

missed connecting flights, interfering with interstate commerce, overtime for the flight crew, flight fuel expenses... no wonder mitch the bitch and his senate sycophants want to protect everyone responsible for spreading the covfefe virus from lawsuits.

Professor Guide
2.2.2  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  devangelical @2.2.1    4 years ago
mitch the bitch and his senate sycophants want to protect everyone responsible for spreading the covfefe virus from lawsuits.

I thought you were kidding until I looked it up just now.  Pappy McConnell needs to be put out to pasture and planted in a pile of fresh steaming covfefe.

Professor Guide
2.3  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  lady in black @2    4 years ago
They should charge the fucker for the extra fuel used to return.

Wouldn't it be great if airlines could charge an astronomical pain-in-the-ass fee, and then distribute the funds evenly among the other passengers...

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.3.1  Split Personality  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @2.3    4 years ago

May I offer a slight derail?

This fence was started last month and the installer put a fence post opposite the white AT&T box

and another post on 2 sides of the green AT&T phone box at the far left.

The auger pierced a 4 inch cable underground in both locations.  AT& T sent 6 trucks, excavators 7 workers and two supervisors to retrench the entire hill.

The final bill was reportedly $17,000 to the fencing company which is fighting it, of course.

Less than a week later the same geniuses knocked this fence out in one day .  It collapsed overnight, the fence contractor insists it should be on the Homeowners insurance for wind damage.

Responsibility should be enforced, not written off...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    4 years ago

Either wear a mask, let them give you a time consuming covid test at the airport, or take the Greyhound Bus. 

Oh wait, the bus probably requires a mask too. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  JohnRussell @3    4 years ago

Walk

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4  MrFrost    4 years ago

Similar? 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  MrFrost @4    4 years ago

It really should be at least five or older considering the increase of children getting covid.

Professor Guide
4.3  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  MrFrost @4    4 years ago

That was awesome!  

Breathing problem, my big butt.  That fool was able to gather all their luggage from the overhead bin, drag his bags and his chubby ass off the airplane, have plenty of breathing capabilities to blab blithering nonsense forever, and film himself while having his little snit.  Like I said, breathing problem, my big butt.

Worth a mention:  That gate agent was wonderful.  No matter how hard he tried, her feathers remained unruffled.  Kudos to her.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.3.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.3    4 years ago

A lot of these cranks are basing their argument on an interpretation of HIPAA, claiming that they cannot be asked about the reasons they are claiming a medical exemption to the mask rules.  They want to be able to say 

1. I have a medical condition which prevents me from being able to wear a mask. 

2. You are not allowed to ask me what that condition is, based on the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.

I don't think it has worked out too well for those making this claim. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

Him - "You are all sheep."

Passengers - "It beats being a jackass."

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5    4 years ago

The passenger karens are both animals in combo.  

Professor Guide
5.1.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.1    4 years ago
The passenger karens are both animals in combo.  

I wasn't aware that Delta had released identifying information (gender, name, etc.) on the passenger that is the subject of the article.

Apart from that, your comment doesn't seem to make sense.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5.1.1    4 years ago

The video did it in regards to the gender.

Professor Guide
5.1.3  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5.1.2    4 years ago
The video did it in regards to the gender.

I didn't see a video with the article I seeded.  I'll take another look.

*edit*  I still don't see a video in the seeded article.  Of course it wouldn't be the first time I've missed something.  Where is it?  Me jrSmiley_113_smiley_image.png jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5.1.3    4 years ago

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6  TᵢG    4 years ago

Of all places to object to wearing a mask.   I just cannot imagine what goes through the minds of some people.   You are in close proximity in an enclosed tiny space; show a little decency for others.  Just wear the friggin' mask or get in a car and drive to LA.

Professor Guide
6.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  TᵢG @6    4 years ago
You are in close proximity in an enclosed tiny space; show a little decency for others. 

...regardless of circumstance locale.  Like Uber - No mask; no ride.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  TᵢG @6    4 years ago

And it's all recirculated air....

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago

Excellent. That is the way it should be.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8  Trout Giggles    4 years ago

Why are people so damn selfish?

I'm still trying to educate my own husband on why masks are important

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
8.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @8    4 years ago

It's simple. They feel since everyone else is wearing a mask, then they are protected. It's the ultimate in selfish. And how stupid do they think the airline is, that both husband and wife have the same breathing condition? 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @8.1    4 years ago

People have been informed over and over again that the mask is to protect people from them not to protect themselves from getting sick

devangelical
Professor Principal
8.2  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @8    4 years ago

buy a casket for him and store it in the garage next to his vehicle. pick up some estate sale signs and then start putting price tags on his possessions.