╌>

Trump Supporters Profess Profound Ignorance

Category:  News & Politics

By:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  86 comments

Trump Supporters Profess Profound Ignorance

A new poll this morning showed that 40% of Republicans would choose Donald Trump to be the Republican presidential nominee in 2024. That number is more than twice what the second place choice in this poll, Mike Pence (18%) received. 

Here are two videos with interviews with trump supporters. The profound ignorance of these people, even now after all that has happened, cannot be denied. 

(this one has a lot of commentary by the host , so you may need to skip through to the sections containing the interviews with trumpsters)

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Too many people want to attack people like me.  This country is not ready for "everyone to get along".  Not even close. 

Here's a thought, show some concern over the millions, MILLIONS of people who believe the lies Trump has told them over 5 years. 

Get a grip, please. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago
1WCE6hEf_bigger.jpg
Tom Nichols
@RadioFreeTom
·
2m
" I know my son keeps lighting the school on fire, but he's about to graduate, and really, shouldn't we all examine the circumstances of his fire-starting over the past four years?"
Quote Tweet
DqKNeMaJ_normal.jpg
Manu Raju
@mkraju
· 1m
McCarthy: "And the president’s immediate action also deserves congressional action -- which is why I think a fact-finding commission and a censure resolution would be prudent."

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2  Trout Giggles    3 years ago

I couldn't watch the whole thing and didn't even try to listen to the second one. The stunning amount of wrong thinking, ignorance and flat-out stupidity is just too much for me to handle this morning

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    3 years ago
The stunning amount of wrong thinking, ignorance and flat-out stupidity is just too much for me to handle this morning.

[deleted]

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1    3 years ago
  1. fake birth certificate
  2. trump will be re-elected in a landslide
  3. the election was stolen

awesome record of predictions

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @2.1.1    3 years ago
  1. fake birth certificate
  2. trump will be re-elected in a landslide
  3. the election was stolen
awesome record of predictions

Yeah, we'll put those right alongside these other gems:

The stock market will crash under Trump

Trump will have us in a war

The GOP won't see the WH for a generation

The GOP is dead.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.3  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.2    3 years ago

why are you putting words in my mouth? unlike the person I was responding to, I didn't claim to predict those things. why are you responding for that person? blah, blah, blah, they did it first, they do it too, they all do it... blah, blah, blah ...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @2.1.3    3 years ago

Some folks feel the need to speak for others . . . 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.5  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.2    3 years ago

Trump will lie  25,000 times. black-check-mark-hi.png

-

Trump will incite dumbasses to riot and insurrection. black-check-mark-hi.png

-

Trump will embarrass the United States like no other public figure in history ever has before. black-check-mark-hi.png

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @2.1.3    3 years ago
why are you putting words in my mouth? unlike the person I was responding to, I didn't claim to predict those things. why are you responding for that person? blah, blah, blah, they did it first, they do it too, they all do it... blah, blah, blah ...

Well, when you read AND comprehend my post you will learn I did not put any words in your mouth, so let's start by trash-canning THAT part of your post.

No one here claimed you predicted diddly-squat. Get it straight.

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.7  Dulay  replied to  devangelical @2.1.3    3 years ago

Come on dev, you know that every liberal must expect to be held responsible for what ANY liberal says, while conservatives are only to be held responsible for their own words. 

How dare you refuse to acquiesce to their debate MO? 

Bend the knee dev, bend the knee. 

I hope that the sarcasm tag isn't necessary for that last bit...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.5    3 years ago

jrSmiley_84_smiley_image.gif

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.9  Dulay  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.5    3 years ago

Jan. 24, 2020:

Adam Schiff:
If the truth doesn’t matter, we’re lost. Framers couldn’t protect us from ourselves, if right and truth don’t matter. And you know that what he did was not right. That’s what they do in the old country, that Colonel Vindman’s father came from. Or the old country that my great grandfather came from, or the old countries that your ancestors came from, or maybe you came from. But here, right is supposed to matter. It’s what’s made us the greatest nation on earth. No constitution can protect us, right doesn’t matter any more. And you know you can’t trust this President to do what’s right for this country. You can trust he will do what’s right for Donald Trump. He’ll do it now. He’s done it before. He’ll do it for the next several months. He’ll do it in the election if he’s allowed to. This is why if you find him guilty, you must find that he should be removed. Because right matters. Because right matters and the truth matters. Otherwise, we are lost.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1.10  Sean Treacy  replied to  Dulay @2.1.9    3 years ago
Adam Schiff:  "If the truth doesn’t matter, we’re lost."

Adam Schiff??? This is a bit, right? 

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.11  Dulay  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1.10    3 years ago

jrSmiley_84_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1.10    3 years ago
Adam Schiff??? This is a bit, right? 

Adam Schiff----'nuff said.

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Gsquared
Professor Principal
2.1.13  Gsquared  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.2    3 years ago
Trump will have us in a war

The war Trump has us in is happening right here in America.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.14  Texan1211  replied to  Gsquared @2.1.13    3 years ago

Your hyperbole is duly noted.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.15  Bob Nelson  replied to  Dulay @2.1.7    3 years ago
Come on dev, you know that every liberal must expect to be held responsible for what ANY liberal says, while conservatives are only to be held responsible for their own words

Since when are conservatives held responsible for anyone's words?

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.16  Dulay  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.15    3 years ago

Rare as hen's teeth. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.17  Tacos!  replied to  Dulay @2.1.9    3 years ago
Because right matters and the truth matters. Otherwise, we are lost.

Oh, the irony of this coming from Adam Schiff. The guy who went on national TV and repeatedly claimed to have "more than circumstantial evidence" of collusion between Trump and Russia, when he didn't have such evidence, and also while he was being briefed that no such evidence existed. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.18  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @2.1.17    3 years ago

Thanks for the link to the paywalled opinion piece. 

I'll believe the evidence of collusion that I read in the Mueller report. 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.1.19  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.15    3 years ago
Since when are conservatives held responsible for anyone's words?

Since when are conservatives held responsible for anything? The only thing they have mastered over the last 240 years of our nation has been weaseling out of their former position when that position has been shown to be monumentally ignorant, racist or flawed. Conservatives fought to conserve the status quo of slavery, fought to conserve bans on women voting, fought to conserve bans on black Americans voting, fought to conserve segregation, fought to conserve bans on interracial marriage, fought to conserve bans on gay marriage yet now they claim to be "true American patriots fighting for freedom" all while defending conservative seditionists who attacked our Capital in a failed coup.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.20  Tacos!  replied to  Dulay @2.1.18    3 years ago
Thanks for the link to the paywalled opinion piece.

You should a get a subscription. You might learn some things.

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.21  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @2.1.20    3 years ago
You should a get a subscription. 

Why would I spend funds on a subscription to read conservative opinions when I can read that bullshit for free right here. 

You might learn some things.

I prefer to garner facts and formulate my own opinion over relying on others opinions to tell me what I should think. 

But hey, you be you...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.22  Tessylo  replied to  Dulay @2.1.21    3 years ago

Funny how some think that they can teach anyone else . . . anything at all . . .

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.23  Tacos!  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.22    3 years ago

Funny how some think no one else can teach them anything.

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.24  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @2.1.23    3 years ago

Funny how some think that they have posted anything worth learning. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.25  Tessylo  replied to  Dulay @2.1.24    3 years ago

"Funny how some think that they have posted anything worth learning." 

Seriously, another poster thinks that by me not reading their bogus links, that I refuse to learn . . . like they have anything to teach me

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.26  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @2.1.23    3 years ago

"Funny how some think no one else can teach them anything."

Not no one else - just tRump supporters/enablers

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.27  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.26    3 years ago

139104992_2713170855679835_5827720811502646145_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=CZPiNpzU2ZAAX_Q-Qw1&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=d67d30e7e1479e7b46aba4fc5abc9235&oe=602739A7

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    3 years ago

The stunning amount of wrong thinking, ignorance and flat-out stupidity is just too much for me to handle this morning

This does show however, why the right is so opposed to education.  Higher the education, more likely to vote Democrat.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5gzWlJcMMfgq54mxsB9NleO98KUk1x1O9ig&usqp=CAU

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2    3 years ago

The right is not opposed to education.

Why do you feel you need to tell a falsehood about that?

And have you ever, ever, ever bothered to look at which party some of the poorest-educated groups of voters tend to vote overwhelmingly for?

Rhetorical, of course.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.2  Tessylo  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2    3 years ago

Truth and reality have a liberal bias

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.2.3  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.1    3 years ago

Care to compare ACT/SAT scores by state?  (last time I checked... Texas was down around 48th)

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.4  Texan1211  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.2.3    3 years ago
Care to compare ACT/SAT scores by state?  (last time I checked... Texas was down around 48th)

Ooooh, nice deflection!!

I didn't figure folks could deal with the actual facts, hence my "rhetorical" tag.

Great job there!

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.2.5  Bob Nelson  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.2.3    3 years ago

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.6  Texan1211  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.2.3    3 years ago

You probably need to update your understanding of where Texas ranks then.

Average ACT Score by State 2020 (worldpopulationreview.com)

https://blog.prepscholar.com/average-sat-and-act...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.2.5    3 years ago

Did you notice the participation rates of some states are less than 10%? That's because they use the ACT and not the SAT. Arkansas uses the ACT. This chart is helpful but when I saw TN was higher than PA I had to look again. PA has a much higher participation rate than TN, so more students taking the SAT...more chances of lower scores (raises hand)

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.2.8  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.1    3 years ago
Why do you feel you need to tell a falsehood about that?

"Pew survey finds majority of Republicans continue to hold negative views of impact of higher ed -- a development that began before the election of President Trump."

"Josh Hawley, the junior senator from Missouri, is keenly aware of how higher education can serve as a springboard into the elite and the challenges facing those it leaves behind. But that’s not to say he’s a cheerleader for the higher-education industry. Like many on the right, the senator often speaks of the higher-education sector as a kind of cartel, one that has left America’s non-college-educated majority out in the cold."

At a recent gathering of conservatives, for example, Hawley drew a straight line from the declining economic prospects of non-college-educated workers to a number of social maladies. “Just about any American worker without a four-year college degree will have a hard time in the cosmopolitan economy. Maybe that’s one reason why marriage rates among working-class Americans are falling, why birth rates are falling, why life expectancy is falling. All the while, an epidemic of suicide and drug addiction ravages every sector, every age group, every geography of the working class.”

"As the Pew Research Center finds in a new survey, there’s been a sharp increase in dissatisfaction with America’s colleges and universities among Republicans in recent years, and it makes perfect sense for right-of-center policy makers to want to do something about it."

"Two years ago, Pew Research Center found that Republicans and Democrats were more divided along ideological lines than at any point in the previous two decades. But growing ideological distance is not confined to partisanship. There are also growing ideological divisions along educational and generational lines."

" Highly educated adults – particularly those who have attended graduate school – are far more likely than those with less education to take predominantly liberal positions across a range of political values . And these differences have increased over the past two decades."

Perhaps if Republican leaders like Josh Hawley weren't blaming all conservatives ill's on higher education they would have a much better view of it.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.2.9  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.7    3 years ago

Yes.... Participation rate is duly noted....  and/or the lack of it. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.10  Trout Giggles  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.2.8    3 years ago

How is it the fault of educated liberals that working class conservatives are losing economic prospects? I don't think everyone should go to a 4 year college, I do believe that many are better suited for vocational training. We will always have a need for HVAC, plumbers, carpenters, hair dressers, barbers, water treatment operators, waste water treatment operators, air craft mechanics....

Many of these vocations are learned in the military, which I'm glad they do. But we need to encourage young people that don't want to join the military to consider a Vo-Tech or something similar. If the working class are losing economic opportunities, they should probably consider some more training and/or education.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.2.11  Bob Nelson  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.7    3 years ago
Both the SAT and the ACT test makers have released data on raw average SAT and ACT scores by state. However, you cannot rely on raw average scores because these averages are biased by participation rates. The lowest participating states tend to send primarily their best students and have the highest scores. This results in bias. We have used advanced, robust statistical methods to adjust for participation rate to get at the real, underlying, normed average SAT and ACT scores by state. This adjustment in the technical literature is also known as "controlling" or "norming". 

From the source article

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.2.12  Bob Nelson  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.10    3 years ago

I agree that we need all sorts of skills. Sadly, revenue is completely skewed against all the diploma-less skills. A Wall Street trader who adds no real value to the economy gets thousands of times more than the plumber who actually does something.

I have a Bachelor's Degree. I remember next to nothing from college, over fifty years ago. OTOH... I've done some stuff, and learned stuff over that half-century.

For the last twenty years of my active professional life, my work was based on training acquired after forty.

This is more than just a political issue. Our whole society needs to change it's perceptions.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.13  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.1    3 years ago
The right is not opposed to education.

History says you are wrong.

And have you ever, ever, ever bothered to look at which party some of the poorest-educated groups of voters tend to vote overwhelmingly for?

Poorest states, with the poorest citizens vote Republican.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.14  Texan1211  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.2.8    3 years ago

It remains a lie that the GOP opposes education.

That was the claim.

All the other stuff is just bullshit in a very weak attempt to deflect from getting called on that lie.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.15  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.13    3 years ago
History says you are wrong.

The hell it does.

Two of the largest demographics which make up much of the Democratic Party base are among the two lowest-educated groups in America, and your little spinning can't and won't change that fact.

Look it up if you don't believe it!

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.2.16  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.15    3 years ago
The hell it does.

Every group that wants to abolish the Dept. of Education are conservative. Trump campaigned on dissolving the Department and DeVos did her best to make it a laughing stock and did it as much damage as she could. 

Two of the largest demographics which make up much of the Democratic Party base are among the two lowest-educated groups in America, and your little spinning can't and won't change that fact.

One's level of education has NO relation to one's political OPPOSITION to education Tex.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.17  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @2.2.16    3 years ago
Every group that wants to abolish the Dept. of Education are conservative.

Amazingly enough, our test scores as a nation and our educational standing in the world was better before we had a Dept. of Education.

Being opposed to a government agency isn't the same thing as opposing education. Didn't your critical-thinking teachers teach that to you?

One's level of education has NO relation to one's political OPPOSITION to education Tex.

I never said it did. Critical thinking skills again apparently lacking, tsk, tsk.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.18  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @2.2.16    3 years ago

Have to admit that I am a little surprised no one has trotted out the usual quote yet!

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.2.19  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.17    3 years ago
Amazingly enough, our test scores as a nation and our educational standing in the world was better before we had a Dept. of Education.

How is that relevant to supporting or opposing education? 

Being opposed to a government agency isn't the same thing as opposing education.

It's a pretty good start. 

Didn't your critical-thinking teachers teach that to you?

I never needed anyone to teach me critical thinking Tex.  

I never said it did. Critical thinking skills again apparently lacking, tsk, tsk.

I was wondering how long it would take you to devolve into the snarky bullshit. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.20  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @2.2.19    3 years ago
How is that relevant to supporting or opposing education? 

If it isn't relevant, why did you write this??

Every group that wants to abolish the Dept. of Education are conservative. Trump campaigned on dissolving the Department and DeVos did her best to make it a laughing stock and did it as much damage as she could. 

Make up your mind--either your AND my post are irrelevant, or they both are. 

It's a pretty good start. 

Unsubstantiated nonsense.

I never needed anyone to teach me critical thinking Tex.  

After you declaring my on-topic response to you as off-topic, that certainly is up for debate!

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.2.21  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.20    3 years ago
If it isn't relevant, why did you write this??

If you are incapable of understanding the difference between my comment and yours I can't help you. 

Make up your mind--either your AND my post are irrelevant, or they both are. 

Nope. They're not the same concept Tex. 

Unsubstantiated nonsense.

Unfounded opinion. 

After you declaring my on-topic response to you as off-topic,

Since this isn't my seed, HOW the fuck did I do that Tex? 

that certainly is up for debate!

Have at it...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.22  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @2.2.21    3 years ago

you are always entertaining, at least.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
2.2.23  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.10    3 years ago
How is it the fault of educated liberals that working class conservatives are losing economic prospects? I don't think everyone should go to a 4 year college, I do believe that many are better suited for vocational training. We will always have a need for HVAC, plumbers, carpenters, hair dressers, barbers, water treatment operators, waste water treatment operators, air craft mechanics.... Many of these vocations are learned in the military, which I'm glad they do. But we need to encourage young people that don't want to join the military to consider a Vo-Tech or something similar. If the working class are losing economic opportunities, they should probably consider some more training and/or education.

AMEN! I'm very glad to say that my daughter is pursuing a career in the trades! There are several schools in MI that cater to those that don't want to join the military, but DO want to pursue the trades.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
2.2.24  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.2.12    3 years ago
Our whole society needs to change it's perceptions.

OMG! We agree on something again! Mark it down in your calendar! jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.2.25  Bob Nelson  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @2.2.24    3 years ago

Calendar's getting messy...

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
2.2.26  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.2.25    3 years ago

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.2.27  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @2.2.23    3 years ago

Heck, my plumber makes more money an hour than my primary care doc does. I'm all for it. 

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
2.2.28  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2.27    3 years ago

Heck, my plumber makes more money an hour than my primary care doc does. I'm all for it. 

Especially considering the medical malpractice insurance costs... and the cost of education for a doctor compared to a plumber! $100,000 + education cost for a doctor and depending on the type of doctor will determine the time and places that an aspiring doctor will intern while they're paying astronomical student loans and likely requiring a 2nd job to make ends meet. OR... $20,000 for the education to get a plumber's certificate; once the certificate is obtained, that person works as a PAID apprentice for approx. 2 years to obtain a journeyman's card. So, three years after graduating HS, someone can have a journeyman's card rather than going to school another 8-12 years [depending on specialty] before doing anything remotely close to your goal. 

$54,107
In 2016, the Association of American Medical Colleges released a report indicating the mean medical intern salary was $54,107. After finishing your first year of earning a medical internship salary, you will earn more during the next two years, as a resident.
$36,625
The average Apprentice Plumber salary in the United States is $36,625 as of December 28, 2020, but the salary range typically falls between $30,079 and $41,426.
Now... after internship or apprenticeship is complete... completely different story. Most physicians make over $200,000 annual salary, while plumbers average about $60,000 annual salary. However, most journeymen top out at $43 / hour [usually after about 20 years], which is a lot more than the average [just shy of $90K]. AND a journeyman has the availability to make OT at time and a half, double time on Sundays and holidays and triple time on holidays that land on Sundays. That can add up really fast.
While the hourly rate of a plumber is usually $200 / hour, that plumber isn't making that as a salary. Much of that goes in the company he/she works for too. 
That's just the basics though.
Ironically though... I went to school to be an aircraft mechanic, it cost me $25,000 total and the salaries that I was being offered after graduation were SAD!!! $12 per hour = $24,960 / year and I'd have had to pay union dues out of that. However, it got me into prototype mechanical, which STARTED me at $16 / hour at age 21 (OMG! 21 years ago!). Now... I had to go back to school to get a degree just to get where I am today and $55,000 in debt for a current salary of just shy of $70 K... but I have potential of making a lot more as I work for the company longer and get promoted. If I ever end up as a project manager, they easily make double what I do. 
Wow... that was a lot of info. I'm sorry.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.2.29  Bob Nelson  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @2.2.28    3 years ago

Certainly, a plumber starts earning early, but...

The average net revenue generated by all physicians included in the survey ($2,378,727) is up from $1,560,688 in 2016, an increase of 52%.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.30  Trout Giggles  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @2.2.28    3 years ago

We had to call a plumber out on a Friday evening when the service line from the meter broke. It was on our side of the meter so our responsibility. It took the plumber less than 20 minutes but the bill was about $200. But I'm glad to pay professionals to do the things I can't and won't do. I know my limitations

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
2.2.31  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.2.29    3 years ago

Right... that was kinda my point. It changes drastically once both professions are finished with their internship / apprenticeship.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
2.2.32  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.30    3 years ago

So, I may be off with the hourly rate. jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif 20 minutes is rounded up to 1/2 an hour. My husband and I fix our own plumbing.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2.33  Ender  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @2.2.32    3 years ago

I do too. Change a toilet out, sinks, drain, etc. Just can't do major sewage or line repair.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.34  Trout Giggles  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @2.2.32    3 years ago

My husband can do certain minor jobs since he's a dorm manager and has to do minor repair jobs. But there was no way he was going to fix that broken water line and then end up calling a plumber to fix it again

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
2.2.35  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Ender @2.2.33    3 years ago
Just can't do major sewage or line repair.

Makes sense... I think we'd be fined where I live if we did try to do that. 

My husband and I gutted and rebuilt our main bathroom together, which also meant plumbing and minor electrical. There's very little that he and I won't try and tackle together. We had a company do our 20 windows and our siding though. And we'll have a company come do our roof... our pitch is too steep for me!!! Oh yeah! We paid $100 for someone to put in a chimney liner when we did our new furnace.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
2.2.36  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.34    3 years ago

I can understand that. 

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2.37  Ender  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @2.2.35    3 years ago

About 20 or so years ago had to replace the sewer line from the house to the city. Cost me a grand back then and that was knowing the people.

Replaced the old clay pipes with PVC. In the house I am in now, that was already done.

Did pay to have a new HVAC system put in. Not going to try things like that. Worked out well too until the last day. As the tec was backing up he ran over the water main. Flooded the whole street.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.2.38  Bob Nelson  replied to  Ender @2.2.37    3 years ago

Forty-odd years ago, I more or less rebuilt an old farmhouse (1740s old). But now...

I have bad knees (one is plastic), and a bad back. Oh, and a bad heart...

I don't do anything! Gradually, we've come to know most of the professionals in this part of town!

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2.39  Ender  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.2.38    3 years ago

One thing I never learned was working on cars. My Brother in law can take apart an engine (the whole vehicle) and put it back together like it was nothing. Something I was never taught.

A little embarrassing when guys are supposed to know things like that.  Haha

Me and my Cousins put a metal roof on my Aunt's house. Now things like that yeah.

Lately too though, I am getting older and lazier.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.2.40  Bob Nelson  replied to  Ender @2.2.39    3 years ago
One thing I never learned was working on cars.

I used to know all that stuff, but last time I heard cars no longer had carburetors, distributors, breaker points, ... 

Twenty years ago, already, we had owned a new car for several weeks before I realized that I didn't know if the engine was north-south or east-west.

I can still fill the windshield washer tank.

NV-Robin6
Professor Silent
2.2.41  NV-Robin6  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.10    3 years ago

I've always said I don't get the coal miners who die at exceptionally young rates of black lung disease, buy that they weren't worthy of so much better or more than that kind of work. What's even more infuriating, they have often had opportunity they shunned themselves. However, it is also not lost on me that many were easily misled by their economic anxiety, their misled egos of what it means to be a man all cast upon the promise of a resurgence of their coal industry jobs.   Did you see Hannity Virginia in 2016 campaigning for the coal masters of these miners? Mygawd, that was one of the most dispicable acts of bullshit I've ever seen but the miners, ate it up like it was manna from heaven. Miners are still dying at terrible rates, while the industry is poisoning their families and their towns. How can we help people who refuse to help themselves?

When a man is starving, he'll follow the odors lingering in the air to the meat baking in the oven of life. He'll even die for it. I've always had a sadness about some in the southern area's plight when they had no opportunity. I blame the oligarchy on that and their red leaders of the south, because it has been completely by design. There's a reason why Donald LOVES the uneducated. Many wanted to be loved by somebody. I understand despair. I don't understand supremacy on any level as it has ever been a winner for any civilization's survival rate but that fact is likley just too heady for most to understand. And that in too many cases, isn't their fault. 

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
2.2.42  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Ender @2.2.37    3 years ago
Did pay to have a new HVAC system put in.

I'm lucky enough to have a dad that retired from HVAC. jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
2.2.43  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Ender @2.2.39    3 years ago
A little embarrassing when guys are supposed to know things like that.

Don't be embarrassed. I've had to repair my stepdad's vehicles in the past, because he never learned how to work on cars... and I got my dad's "mechanical gene" and have been working on cars since I was little.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
2.2.44  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.2.40    3 years ago
I used to know all that stuff, but last time I heard cars no longer had carburetors, distributors, breaker points, ... 

It's pretty rare to find people that know how to work on the older AND newer cars. My husband is "old school" and I know just enough on newer cars to be dangerous. jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    3 years ago

I didn't watch any of it.  I don't have to listen to it to know it is the voices of pure ignorance.

NV-Robin6
Professor Silent
2.4  NV-Robin6  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    3 years ago

Hey there Miss Trout! Glad to see you're still here kickin' ass! :-) 

I can't watch even a second of it as I've seen too much already. The thing of it is, these people have been misled by a cast of power house characters that is more frightening than these brainwashed dudes. The purposeful militarization by the mega churches preying on their indoctrinate's fears, the ones who purposefully kept a lot of white people down economically, those who fan the flame of white supremacy because don't we just know THEY are so damn much smarter than the rest. And then there are the bigger wallet asswipes who think they have a right to usurp our democracy so they can make a caste system to benefit them. As we know, the enemy is within.  

I do get why some of these people were so easily misled. They've been fear-fed for years and decades. I think it will take a few generations to undo all that misled hate and fear. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.4.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  NV-Robin6 @2.4    3 years ago

Hey, yourself, Sweetheart! Glad to see you've returned.

That fear ramped up after 9/11. Don't get me wrong, I was pretty frightened the day it happened but after about a week I calmed down and started listening to my elected officials. Needless to say I was not impressed with how they were handling things

NV-Robin6
Professor Silent
2.4.2  NV-Robin6  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.4.1    3 years ago

Thank you. Good to be back and see all of you. Looking forward to catching up more soon!

Yep, 9/11 gave way to a lot of fear-fed lies & how that was all stoked by racism and theocracy. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3  TᵢG    3 years ago

We see the same stunning stupidity in some comments.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1  Split Personality  replied to  TᵢG @3    3 years ago

Like that commercial..."  We all see it, dont..., we all see it"

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4  Tessylo    3 years ago

138901393_3655431244494856_1689628550503593101_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=DC9QpzePP9AAX9LWat6&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=00ccebe92c002862a54e85fb120610e4&oe=60254A57

NV-Robin6
Professor Silent
5  NV-Robin6    3 years ago

I was thinking someone ought to have gone right away and gave Trump a blow job so he could be impeached for really bad offenses!

Ender
Professor Principal
5.1  Ender  replied to  NV-Robin6 @5    3 years ago

You get a cigar for that comment....Haha

NV-Robin6
Professor Silent
6  NV-Robin6    3 years ago

Yeah, sometimes those realisms just hit us smack dab up along side the goddamn head, eh? Har!