╌>

Would someone videoing you in public bother you?

Category:  Other

By:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  73 comments

Would someone videoing you in public bother you?
Have you ever noticed anyone videoing you with their phone while you are out in public?  Would it bother you if someone was? 

I was watching some Karen videos the other day , and something struck me that I have also noticed many times in the past watching such videos. 

There are a lot of people who get very upset if they notice someone is videoing them with their phone. 

Someone is arguing with a store clerk and a third party starts video recording it. The person arguing turns around and starts screaming at the one with the camera. "Why are you filming me? You cant film me, its against the law. I will sue you. I will have you arrested." And then the one with the camera says "this is going up on twitter". 

This sort of things seems to go on fairly often in this day and age. 

Have you ever noticed anyone videoing you with their phone while you are out in public?  Would it bother you if someone was? 

To some extent I can see both sides of this. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Or someone who is not handicapped pulls into a handicapped parking space. They get out of their car and notice someone is close by videoing them. Shouting and threats of violence follow. 

Good or bad for society? 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.1  Snuffy  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

I think good or bad for society is a bit of an overstatement.  i do agree that someone pulling into a handicapped parking spot when they are not handicapped shows very poor manners and upbringing. But I also know a little bit about the law and out on a public street or walkway (or store parking lot where even though it's private property you are still in public) you do not have the expectation of privacy. If the person who is doing the videoing is going to make money off of the video then you have some other rights, but if they are just doing it to shame you then you have no real recourse.  

I wouldn't like to be video tapped so I try not to do things in public that can get me in that situation. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Snuffy @1.1    3 years ago

the video of people by strangers spans across many situations. some of it is when the person being filmed is doing something "wrong" but it also happens for no reason at all.   I think some people may be worried that the videoer may end up stalking them, which is probably far fetched as well. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.1.2  Snuffy  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    3 years ago

Yes, there can be all sorts of reasons why someone is out in public with their cell phone taking video. Some may be innocent, some may not be. But so long as they are not breaking the law and we are both in public spaces I really don't have grounds to demand they stop as they have just as much right to be there as i do. If my privacy is so important to me that I do not want to be videoed, then I need to stay out of the public space.  

I believe that some people are just so determined to be upset that they look for any reason to go off on another person. 

Of course as an elderly fat man, if they want to risk breaking their camera because they caught my face in the frame that's on them.  jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1.1.3  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Snuffy @1.1.2    3 years ago
Of course as an elderly fat man...

Pics or it just ain't true.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.1.4  Snuffy  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1.3    3 years ago

Geeze,  we just had a 6 hour outage of Facebook....   now  you want me to post a pic and risk taking down the entire internet?  no way....   

Besides  I only have the one camera on my cell phone and don't want to risk breaking my phone.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

Gee, if someone parked in a handicapped spot illegally, shouldn't the decision have been to call the cops instead of videoing anyone?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2    3 years ago

often, they want to post the video on social media

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.1    3 years ago

So they aren't really upset by someone parking in a handicapped spot, they just want to point it out to anonymous others?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2    3 years ago

Evidence?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.4  Texan1211  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.3    3 years ago

Logic tells me that if someone is truly upset over parking, they would just alert the store or police. Not videotape someone, which does nothing to change the situation.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.5  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.2    3 years ago

oh im sure that is the case with some

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.4    3 years ago

You're supposedly a person with an above room temperature IQ, so it's hard to imagine why I need to explain this to you

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.7  Texan1211  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.6    3 years ago

Uh, just to correct the real record, your one post to me consisted of 

"Evidence?"

No explanation asked for nor wanted after that brilliant question, which I answered already.

Tell me more about this "explanation" you seem to think I asked for or that is warranted here.

Explanation for WHAT?????????

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.8  Trout Giggles  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.7    3 years ago

see below since you can't figure it out for yourself jrSmiley_116_smiley_image.png

and turn down the volume. You could wake the dead with all that screaming

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.9  Texan1211  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.8    3 years ago

I breathlessly await your vaunted "explanation".

Should I expect it any day now?

If my posts offend you, then put me back on ignore!

That way you can at least pretend you don't read my posts!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.10  Trout Giggles  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.9    3 years ago

I told you where to look. Now you have to look up jrSmiley_115_smiley_image.png (my bad...keep looking down...past your belly...yeah.. down there)

If you can't understand simple instructions there's not much I can do to help you. And please...the volume! People are trying to nap for chrissakes! Stop with the hysteria already

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.11  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.8    3 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.12  Texan1211  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.10    3 years ago

Sorry, I have no interest in playing your little childish games today.

You asked for evidence, I supplied it, and NOW you want to complain about what YOU asked for.

Ridiculous.

And if shouting can wake a few brain-dead folks up, what's the problem?

If you don't like how I post, that really sounds like a personal problem of yours.

It is of no concern whatsoever to me.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.13  Trout Giggles  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.12    3 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.14  Texan1211  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.13    3 years ago
Wow...I do believe you have become unhinged.

Sorry, you just can't hold me responsible for whatever it is you "think". Please in the future try to incorporate a little truth and common sense into it.

And I happen to like colors and different sizes, it seems to hold the attention of some folks better. I am sure some are just mesmerized by all the pretty colors!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.15  Trout Giggles  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.14    3 years ago

I can see the evidence of your unhinged behavior directly in front of me.

You really need to calm down before you have a stroke.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.16  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.14    3 years ago

Lets end the back and forth right here. Any further back and forth will be deleted as off topic. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.18  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.16    3 years ago

[deleted]

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.2.19  SteevieGee  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2    3 years ago

How do you know if someone is handicapped?  Are you his doctor.  Many people have ailments like COPD or congestive heart failure which aren't readily apparent to bystanders.  Be careful what you post on the webs.  You could be sued for defamation.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.2.20  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  SteevieGee @1.2.19    3 years ago

Don't know about where you live but here in NC you have to have a tag hanging from your mirror to park in a handicap spot. No tag, no park.................legally anyway.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.2.21  SteevieGee  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.2.20    3 years ago

There were cases where this was happening on local news here recently.  I have a tag to hang on my mirror.  It's for Mrs. Gee though, not me.  I never abuse the system even though it would obviously be pretty easy.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

Depends on where I am at and what I am doing at a given time. In regards to the handicapped car situation, I'd say discretely video the car and not the idiot driving it.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.3.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.3    3 years ago

Exactly! Get the license plate on photo, then call the non-emergency police number. That way if the car leaves the space, you at least have photo evidence of them parking in that spot

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.3.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.3.1    3 years ago

Yep.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.3.3  Split Personality  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.3.2    3 years ago

Did you see the video of the jerk that parked his newish car at a 45 degree angle in Handicapped parking?

He can't stop talking on his phone even when passers by question his "disability"

After telling a couple of passers by to fuck off he goes shopping.

When he comes back, the electrician he was hassling, had  Zip tied his four door handles to 4 shopping carts

then each pair of shopping carts together. He could not figure out how to get the doors open.

Priceless.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.3.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Split Personality @1.3.3    3 years ago

Yep, that one is a classic!

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
1.3.5  al Jizzerror  replied to  Split Personality @1.3.3    3 years ago

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

It would all depend on what I was doing at the time.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2    3 years ago

I was watching a video where this fairly good looking woman was walking down a sidewalk when she suddenly starts screaming at the person taking the video "how dare you take my picture ! you have no right to film me walking down the street !   and the person taking the video say "yes i do, and i wasnt filming you anyway. I was filming the traffic in the street." 

what is this all about? why film random people? yet, the videoer has that right, dont they? 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
2.1.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    3 years ago
what is this all about? why film random people? yet, the videoer has that right, dont they? 

A lot of it has to do with where its happening and what the focus of attention is .

Different states , cities and even towns have different rules . one just has to know the rules where they are .

the situation you state , the guy says he was filming traffic , they cannot control who does and does not enter the frame , they dont even have to announce they are filming , limited expectation of privacy on a public way. .

Now if she could have proved he focused on HER exclusively, she might have a case for invasion of privacy , but on a public way , the expectation of privacy would be low , as far as i know currently , one has the right to film or record anywhere they have a legal right to be with what they can see , i define that as if i can see it with my eye i can film it from where I am .

just like a set of security cameras , if they are set up to view someones property , its legal , they have a legal right to be there and film their property , if they are set to film OFF the property ,thats when privacy rights would come into play  and could be considered as illegal.

Professor Guide
2.1.2  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    3 years ago
the videoer has that right, dont they? 

Yes.  Anything the un-aided eye can see is up for grabs.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3  Trout Giggles    3 years ago

I have to think more about this

Ender
Professor Principal
4  Ender    3 years ago

We are taped and on video all the time. No matter where you go there are cameras. Even driving on the streets you are on film.

Hell even in peoples homes and from their doorbells now...

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Ender @4    3 years ago

that is due to tech advancements and the cost being more affordable , thing is do the current laws keep up with the advancements  and do they still apply .

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Ender  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @4.1    3 years ago

Weren't they trying to make laws about drones.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @4.1.1    3 years ago

The Biden Admin. did try to stop drone flights from recording what was happening on the border!

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.1.3  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Ender @4.1.1    3 years ago

I think so , now a few years back i had a discussion with hal about drones and their video capability , i was ( yes hal i said WAS) very anti drone and the limits that should be placed on them .

I have since aquired a son in law in construction that is very into drones as a way to document his work . And he has loaned me one that he "outgrew".

I have found it very useful in the fact i can use it to look at things around my property , like checking the roofs for needed repair without having to risk climbing a ladder to physically getting on the roof itself . It is also excellent for doing a fly over of fences looking for things that need attention without having to actually walk the whole line . they do have their advantages and i admit , my concernes then in that discussion are pretty much moot , as long as the pilot of the drone uses common sense and has a modecum of morals and whats right and wrong .

i have always had a passing interest in photography , but have found that a drone gives a completely different perspective and view . and as the SIL says , the drone he loaned me , the camera sucks and has crappy quality . I will not say how many times i have gnarly crashed the thing in the month i have had it , it is a learning curve of learning to fly , (smoothly ) and also be able to take stills and video. 

Of course the wind here does not help .

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.1.4  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.2    3 years ago

And the government , through the FAA CAN stop those flights by simply setting up no fly zones . Most national parks are NFZ s without a specific permit attained from the parks , sporting events usually have areas around them that are NFZs and have an electrionic curtain that prohibits drones from flying into the air space . a drone flys into the zone and it is suppose to automatically trigger the return to home features , or make the drone lose connection with the controller .

Im still learning about a lot of this stuff myself though so i can be wrong .

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @4.1.4    3 years ago

If I had a large farm or ranch I would probably get a drone. It's a good way to get a quick look at the livestock or crops.

I bet the National Parks use them for fire discovery, illegal activity, keeping an eye on "stuff". It would be a good idea if they did

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @4.1.4    3 years ago
And the government , through the FAA CAN stop those flights by simply setting up no fly zones .

Agreed, but what the Biden Admin. did was to hide truths that were embarrassing to his Administration.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.1.7  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.5    3 years ago

If used ethically , i see no problem with them . Its those that would want to use them for purposes they are not intended( illegal) that makes me think and was the basis of my arguments during the discussion a couple years back  but i have since mellowed on .

i try and get 20 mins of practice a day ( the limit of the drone battery charge with 2 batteries ) and i try and keep the height limited over my own property to 10-15 meters .

The only "Bad" experience i had was due to weather and operator error .  did all i was suppose to pre flight , hit the take off button and the thing took off like a space launch . the wind caught it , and the last picture i got was over a neighboring hay field just before it went out of range corkscrewing down . there was no wind at ground level but 30 meters up ..... spent half an hour at twilight searching the field looking for a signal , came back to get the atv to have light and cover more ground and the thing was sitting in my yard , hovering right at the take off point , the return to home feature after it lost signal , works .... Only thing i can figure is that a cold front with thunderstorms was coming in and affected the thing to make it act the way it did , even though it was 30 miles away . my smart phone connects via wifi to the drone so i can see what it sees .

it is definitely a learning curve .

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.1.8  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.6    3 years ago

as if the law and regulations have not been used to "hide" something ? 

I was born at night , but not last night .

if they can they will.

Professor Guide
5  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    3 years ago

I think that for the most part, they are good for society.  Who wants to be a Karen?  Act a fool to someone who doesn't deserve it, and get called out in a very public manner.  Just the thought of going viral for bad behavior is enough of a deterrent for many people.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5    3 years ago

double edged sword there sister , some people crave the attention , doesnt matter if its negative , its still attention .

proof of that would be TRUMP.....

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5    3 years ago

some of the videos that showed up on you tube and tik tok related to mask wearing in stores was just amazing

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.2.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  JohnRussell @5.2    3 years ago

Think the "best" drone vid i saw ( likely a couple years old now) a guy took off from his roof top expecting to get some "skyline" shots of the city , he pans the drone around 360 and low and behold on a neighboring buildings rooftop , a lady" was sunbathing in the raw , and the drone had drifted a little and the last shot was of her chasing it with a broom while trying to protect her "modesty"... expectation of privacy there?

Hallux
Masters Principal
7  Hallux    3 years ago

It would not, I'm a ham.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
8  Mark in Wyoming     3 years ago

Which leads to how do some feel about dashcams ?

I picked one up about 3 years ago for when i drive semi , and it HAS saved me a few tickets , AND gotten a couple others tickets for their actions . personally i wont drive a big truck without setting it up for the trip , it gives me too much useful info while driving . A form of cover my own ass.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @8    3 years ago

I think semi drivers should have them. They can save you a lot of grief since everyone wants blood out of a truck driver these days.

I don't know if it would be useful to me. I would probably forget to turn it on

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
8.1.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1    3 years ago

Funny thing for me , is the one i picked up for $120 , has better video quality than most of the police dashcam vids i have seen . and has some features that most would think unuseful .  mine has the capability to date and time stamp , records speed and GPS position , has a feature that will read lic plates at a distance and display it .

I even use it in my car when taking trips , i have got some amazing vids just traveling  normally and i can set it up so its out of the way , and it is powered by the cigg lighter .it comes on and starts recording as soon as i turn the key to start the engine . and all the vids or pictures are saved to a SD card .

i can drive and still get scenic pictures all while concentrating on driving , set and forget .

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @8.1.1    3 years ago
mine has the capability to date and time stamp , records speed and GPS position , has a feature that will read lic plates at a distance and dispaly it .

I think those are highly useful features. If one does a lot of traveling over back roads that camera could come in handy getting shots of wildlife like bears and turkeys. I always get excited when I see bears and turkeys in the wild

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
8.1.3  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.2    3 years ago

It also has a feature called "G-shock " which i can set the sensativity , what that does is it senses a jarring or bump , it automatically locks that video file into "safe mode" , so if i hit someone or they hit me and its in the cam eye it saves it ,  ins companies love these things i have found .

i usually have that toggled off because even a bumpy road will set it off and lock it up , all the features i can turn off or on , either on the cam itself or through wifi in the app on my phone .

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @8.1.3    3 years ago

That sounds handy!

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
8.1.5  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.4    3 years ago

it can be , if the video shows you going down the road and your in your lane and its set off and an accident happens out of the cameras view ,one would think if your where and doing what your suppose to be doing , that would lead to someone or thing hitting you .

most people set them up facing in direction of travel ( common sense ) viewing what the driver sees .

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
8.1.6  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.4    3 years ago

remember i said it has cost a couple of people tickets? had a guy being a dork , he would slow way down on the upgrades  thus making it so i would have to downshift and put more stress on the rig ( overload permit to 117.000#s) basically making it so i would have to crawl up the grade , then speed off and then he would slow down , let me catch up and do it again on the next uphill grade . i got past him and he wasnot content with his "game " and decided to call me in for unsafe passing . cop pulled me over , i showed him the vid , he says i did nothing wrong . cop asks if i wanted to charge the guy with harrassment , i said i dont want to lose a days wages coming over for court . cop says can you send me a copy of that vid with him slowing down and all . i flip the wifi , pull it up on my phone , and send it to his , he thanks me and says i wont even have to show up in court to testify since the vid was evidence enough . the guy is JUST passing usand laughing as he goes by , the cop hops out and goes after him .and pulls HIM over and cites him.

Ran into the cop a couple weeks later while i was refueling and he says i wont have to worry about that guy anymore , he was nailed for a $500 fine and loss of lic for 6 months for impeding traffic on the highway and harassment , and tld if he ever got caught doing it again he would lose his lic for good .

results may vary per jurisdiction 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @8.1.6    3 years ago

Awesome! That guy got his just desserts!

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
8.1.8  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.7    3 years ago

for those wondering, its a Innotec ROVE  Mdl R2-4K comes in a kit , all one needs to supply is the micro sd card to make it work , the more GBs the more and longer it can record and save before one has to delete files . 

no clue what they cost now , but i suspect since mine is 3 yrs old now they have better models now too.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @8.1.8    3 years ago

Thanks for the info

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
8.1.10  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.9    3 years ago

to me its cheap ins and peace of mind .

AND your ins company MIGHT cut you a discount for running one .

does not hurt to ask.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
8.1.11  al Jizzerror  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @8.1.6    3 years ago

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
9  Jeremy Retired in NC    3 years ago
There are a lot of people who get very upset if they notice someone is videoing them with their phone.

Usually because they were caught doing something they shouldn't have been doing.

I'm not one to really give a shit.  I do some shady stuff.  We all do.  I lead a fairly boring life since I retired from the military.  So if you're recording me, I'm wondering how meaningless your life is that you have to focus on me like that.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago
"Have you ever noticed anyone videoing you with their phone while you are out in public?"

No

"Would it bother you if someone was?" 

Yes, but I really don't know why.  Maybe I would consider it an invasion of privacy.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
11  Freefaller    3 years ago

I'm with Jeremy on this, it really wouldn't bother me but I would wonder how boring the videoers life must be to bother filming me

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
12  SteevieGee    3 years ago

Video me in public without my consent?  I'd just hope his phone still works once he gets it out of his a ss.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
13  al Jizzerror    3 years ago

I would be tempted to moon the camera, depending on whether there were any children around.

jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg

CB
Professor Principal
14  CB    3 years ago

I don't know if anyone above has mentioned this, but here goes: We tell children and others it is impolite to stare. Remember that?

Well the camera, "takes a picture; it will last longer." So I have a problem with 'angles.' One or two of my angles are not as 'cut' as they used to be and I don't really want to see them hanging out online or on "pin-up" posters without my knowledge. Sometimes we should all just - no ma'am, no sir - don't do it. (Chuckles.)