╌>

States of emergency declared in Southeast ahead of winter snowstorm

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  2 years ago  •  150 comments

By:   Minyvonne Burke and The Associated Press

States of emergency declared in Southeast ahead of winter snowstorm
The governors of several southeastern states declared states of emergency ahead of a massive winter storm.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The governors of several southeastern states declared states of emergency ahead of a massive winter storm that has roughly 64 million Americans under some type of weather alert.

The storm dumped heavy snow across parts of the Midwest on Friday, causing difficult travel conditions and leading to school closures. The weather is expected to hit the Southeast on Saturday before moving into the Northeast.

Gary Worden, a crew member at a McDonalds in Des Moines, shovels snow Friday.Bryon Houlgrave / The Register via USA Today Network

"On Saturday, the system will produce snow and rain over parts of the Middle/Lower Mississippi Valley," the National Weather Service said. "The rain will move into the Southeast as the snow starts falling over parts of the Central/Southern Appalachians by Saturday evening."

As the rain moves into North and South Carolina, "pockets of rain/freezing rain will develop over southern Mid-Atlantic/Southern Appalachians," according to the agency.

In preparation for the storm, the governors of Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia declared states of emergency.

"The main message to my fellow Georgians is just be winter weather aware this weekend," Gov. Brian Kemp said at a news conference on Friday. "By being ready and knowing what to do in the event of winter weather, you can help us minimize risk, reduce the time it takes to recover and most importantly keep everyone safe."

Kemp said the state has already started mobilizing and is prepared "to deploy resources needed to protect our state."

Northeast Georgia is under a winter storm warning from 10 p.m. Saturday to midnight, according to the National Weather Service in Peachtree City. The area is expected to get snow accumulations of 2 to 4 inches as well as ice accumulations, the agency said.

In Virginia, then-Gov. Ralph Northam declared a state of emergency on Friday to allow quick coordination in response to snow, according to NBC Washington. Northam said the state is still trying to recover from a snowstorm earlier this month.

Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin, who was sworn in on Saturday, said in a tweet that forecasters are predicting "significant" weather conditions over the weekend and urged people to consider staying home.

The D.C. metro area is expected to get up to 4 inches of snow, NBC Washington reported. Up to 8 inches is possible for areas of Fauquier and Loudoun counties in Virginia and Frederick County in Maryland.

In Southern Maryland, up to 2 inches of snow is possible, but people living in that area should expect mostly rain, according to the news station.

South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster warned that residents could start to feel the effects of the storm system by Sunday morning.

"There is a potential for very dangerous conditions caused by accumulations of ice and snow, which will likely result in power outages across the state," he said.

The National Weather Service said winter storm and ice storm warnings were in effect for parts of the state, and a winter storm watch had been issued for Columbia and surrounding areas.

In neighboring North Carolina, Gov. Roy Cooper signed an emergency order and urged people to stay home and off the roads once the storm hits.

"This storm will bring significant impacts from snow, sleet and freezing rain in different parts of the state, with likely power outages and travel disruptions," Cooper said in a news release. "North Carolinians should pay close attention to their local weather forecast over the next few days, and make sure they are personally prepared before Saturday afternoon."

With a staffing shortage due to the pandemic, Winston-Salem had to borrow workers from other departments in order to prepare streets ahead of the snowstorm.

"We just don't have as many people to drive the trucks or operate the equipment," spokesman Marcus Thompson at the North Carolina Department of Transportation said.

Snow should begin to fall around 5 a.m. on Sunday but then change to freezing rain, according to NBC affiliate WRAL of Raleigh.

Raleigh is expected to see roughly a tenth of an inch to a quarter of an inch of freezing rain on Sunday with wind gusts up to 40 mph, the news station reported. Up to half an inch of freezing rain is expected near Charlotte.

After battering the Southeast, the storm will move toward the Great Lakes region on Monday. Cities including Cleveland, and Syracuse and Buffalo New York should expect a mix of snow, freezing rain and rain. The storm will then hit parts of Canada on Tuesday morning.

The Associated Press

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1  sandy-2021492    2 years ago

Groceries have been bought.  Chili has been made.  There's a fire roaring in the woodstove.  Bring it.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1    2 years ago

When you say it like that, it sounds fabulous.  Personally speaking, I'm still a little gun-shy from last November.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1    2 years ago

Well, I understand that.  I've never been without power for that long - a few days at most.

Professor Guide
1.1.2  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1    2 years ago

I just noticed that I said last November.  I meant last February.  jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.3  Split Personality  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1.2    2 years ago

The ducks were very nervous yesterday....

especially the ampututees and club footed that barely survived the frost bitten feet last year

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.4  CB  replied to  Split Personality @1.1.3    2 years ago

Ugh. So sad. I am sorry about those 'babies.'

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
1.2  al Jizzerror  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1    2 years ago
Chili has been made.

I made a big pot of chili yesterday.  I can use my gas fire pit to reheat it.

The Governor has already declared a "state of emergency" here.

When I lose power, I'll be offline, butt please don't worry about me.

I've got lots of whiskey and rum.  And I always have plenty of weed.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.2.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  al Jizzerror @1.2    2 years ago

I have a gas cooking range, so I can do any cooking I want if the power goes out - just no baking.

I have oil lamps, and went to Barnes & Noble Friday for new reading material if I can't be online or watch TV.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.2  Split Personality  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.2.1    2 years ago

football, football, football

and we are making chili today

of course, we only had a few minutes of snow flurries yesterday and its already in the 40s here

very pleasant

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.2.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  Split Personality @1.2.2    2 years ago

The temp maxed out at 21 here.  Not very pleasant outside, but cozy inside.  At least the wind hasn't picked up yet.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.2.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.2.3    2 years ago

Ah.  There's the wind.

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.5  CB  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.2.1    2 years ago

Yay! You're still here!!! I am just getting here. Hours have gone by. :)

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.6  CB  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.2.3    2 years ago

We get low temps these days, but no rain combined. Lucky us! But, we are ENJOYING 60's in these January days! (High locked in over us!) We be dry and tight! Sending all the goodness and warmth I can pack: Receive it, please!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.2.7  sandy-2021492  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.2.4    2 years ago

And there's the sleet.

CB
Professor Principal
1.3  CB  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1    2 years ago

Wishing you a good night and life to get through this, Sandy! Thanks for making it seem 'real' - Here's a song (to warm you hunkering souls.)

Stereo Dub & Lila Liu - Set Fire to the Rain

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.3.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  CB @1.3    2 years ago

Thanks, CB.

CB
Professor Principal
1.3.2  CB  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.3.1    2 years ago

Your challenge (if you choose to accept it): Find out the title to every 'smooch' movie in this video!

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.4  cjcold  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1    2 years ago

Keep a supply of water, MREs, gasoline, freeze dried foods and firearms/ammo.

Not paranoid, just cautious.

The bottom line as a Boy Scout was to be prepared.

I took it to heart. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2  Split Personality    2 years ago

Snow flurries today elicited screams of joy from the missus

jeers of disdain from this northerner

flurries aint nuttin

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1  devangelical  replied to  Split Personality @2    2 years ago
Snow flurries today elicited screams of joy from the missus

hide the car keys...

I have a friend that moved to dallas a decade ago and when we talk he always regales me with road stories about drivers on the highway flyovers there after snow or ice storms.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  cjcold  replied to  devangelical @2.1    2 years ago

Have owned many 4WD vehicles over the years.

Some have saved me from a cold death by powering through to safety.

Some have stranded me so very far from help 

No 4WD vehicle can save you from being stupid.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.2  devangelical  replied to  cjcold @2.1.1    2 years ago
No 4WD vehicle can save you from being stupid.

colorado is an excellent place to witness some examples proving that statement.

shona1
PhD Quiet
3  shona1    2 years ago

Evening...err sorry if this sounds a bit dumb but ...

In this unusual or something as it is winter over there... thought you mob normally get snow/blizzards etc..

Bit like here..oh it's a heat wave..yeesss but it is summer and we get them every year...

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  shona1 @3    2 years ago

Well, you know us Yanks.  We're dramatic.

It's a bit unusual in that some of this winter weather is hitting further south than it normally does.  And DC doesn't usually get much snow.  It will bring life to a standstill for those areas that don't have much snow removal equipment.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2  JohnRussell  replied to  shona1 @3    2 years ago

Some states and regions are quite used to winter (the northern part of the US.) The farther south you go the less they can handle winter conditions. 

CB
Professor Principal
3.2.1  CB  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2    2 years ago

You should be like a snow master 'god' eh JR? I mean: Chicago!!!

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.2.2  cjcold  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2    2 years ago

Grew up in the land of OZ and learned how to drive on slick roads at an early age.

Gravitated from sport cars to 4WD sport vehicles early on.

Currently flogging a highly modified 4WD Toyota Tacoma. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     2 years ago

BBQ ready flips flops and shorts ready, umbrella drinks ready, sunscreen ready. 

BRING IT

4l7jr5.jpg

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Kavika @4    2 years ago

Oh, shut up! jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

You know, I wouldn't much mind, except we're supposed to get snow with a layer of freezing rain on top.  I hate freezing rain.  Impossible to drive on safely, and brings down power lines.  It's also supposed to be windy, which won't help the power line situation.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Kavika   replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1    2 years ago

I'll be having an umbrella drink for you, sandy. jrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1    2 years ago
Oh, shut up!

Well, Florida is the dick of the states...jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Ender  replied to  Kavika @4.1.1    2 years ago

Chilly but sunshine here.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  Kavika @4.1.1    2 years ago

I'll have some spiked hot chocolate for you.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.5  devangelical  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1    2 years ago

when I was spending winters in colorado driving, I always gave cars with southern plates a wide berth. I used to send my mom pictures of upside down cars with texas plates until my sister told me to stop. the laws of physics seem so hard to grasp for some.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.6  sandy-2021492  replied to  devangelical @4.1.5    2 years ago

I think most Virginians can drive in it, because we actually do get some snow most winters.  South of us, it gets pretty dicey.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.1.7  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.6    2 years ago

another factor some fail to take into account , is the conditions any road is engineered for , as well as what its actually made of ( asphalt , vs concrete or some other material ) and what happens at the extremes of those engineering parameters , the engineering has its limits best suited for the specific geographic location and usually its based on longevity for maint purposes ( meaning how soon before it has to be replaced )

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.8  Kavika   replied to  devangelical @4.1.5    2 years ago

Enough complaining about snow and ice on the road, you'll don't have any idea what real road hazards are. We, in Florida, do know.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
4.1.9  al Jizzerror  replied to  Kavika @4.1.8    2 years ago

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.10  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @4.1.8    2 years ago

chomp, gulp...

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.11  CB  replied to  devangelical @4.1.5    2 years ago

Devangelical, you are unique. (Your poor mom and her anxiety.)

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4.1.12  cjcold  replied to  devangelical @4.1.5    2 years ago

When I was living in Cripple Creek we called them honkey turkeys.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.13  devangelical  replied to  cjcold @4.1.12    2 years ago

...goober kamikazes.

CB
Professor Principal
4.2  CB  replied to  Kavika @4    2 years ago

HA!

evilone
Professor Guide
4.3  evilone  replied to  Kavika @4    2 years ago
BBQ ready flips flops and shorts ready, umbrella drinks ready, sunscreen ready.  BRING IT

I brushed the snow off the grill cover last night and put on a couple of bacon wrapped pork ribeye steaks. I grill on the back porch quite often.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.3.1  Kavika   replied to  evilone @4.3    2 years ago

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNQ1gjp4cICHLFJqTJdKWGxBEVf1JWSTcnYQ&usqp=CAU

evilone
Professor Guide
4.3.2  evilone  replied to  Kavika @4.3.1    2 years ago

I don't need that sunscreen.... LOL!

charger 383
Professor Silent
6  charger 383    2 years ago

Snow started a few minutes ago in northwest psrt of Virginia

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  charger 383 @6    2 years ago

Yup.  And is already sticking because it's only 21 degrees.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.1    2 years ago

19 degrees.  Blech.

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1.2  devangelical  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.1.1    2 years ago

55 degrees and warming. light gulf breeze. chef BIL preparing fresh seafood feast for dallas game. hope they win so dinner doesn't get cut short, since I blew $75 on oysters and shrimp yesterday at the local seafood market.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.1.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  devangelical @6.1.2    2 years ago

You can shut up, too jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Gsquared
Professor Principal
6.1.4  Gsquared  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.1.1    2 years ago

That's 19 degrees Celsius, right?  Not bad.

It's about 22 degrees here right now.  Celsius, of course.  With some beautiful clouds.   We had a bit of rain yesterday, which was fantastic.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.1.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  Gsquared @6.1.4    2 years ago

La la la la la, I can't hear you!

Gsquared
Professor Principal
6.1.6  Gsquared  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.1.5    2 years ago

We only say it one time - L.A. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.1.7  sandy-2021492  replied to  Gsquared @6.1.4    2 years ago
It's about 22 degrees here right now.

I now have 22 degrees.  Not Celsius.

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.8  CB  replied to  Gsquared @6.1.4    2 years ago

Can any of those 'colders' say "tsunami" (entire western seaboard)? I think not!  (Though, I got nothing! Peachy dry! Yeah baby.)

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6.1.9  Freefaller  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.1.5    2 years ago

Lol I hate to pile on Sandy but I rarely (never) get to say this to anyone in the winter but it's actually warmer here at 25F.

But ater a month of -22 to -40 we deserve this little warm spell

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.1.10  sandy-2021492  replied to  Freefaller @6.1.9    2 years ago

Since the wind and sleet rolled in, the temp has gone up a bit.  It's now 26 degrees.

Not Celsius.

Glad you're having a warm spell.

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.11  CB  replied to  Freefaller @6.1.9    2 years ago

Brrrrrrr. My goodness!

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6.1.12  cjcold  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.1.3    2 years ago

Just saw a Chiefs win and am also in a good mood.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1.13  Split Personality  replied to  cjcold @6.1.12    2 years ago

jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1.14  Split Personality  replied to  cjcold @6.1.12    2 years ago

The Eagles rested their starters when they played the Cowboys instead of trying to win a meaningless game

The Cowboys 1rst stringers played the whole game against the Eagles 3rd lines and practice squad

winning easily and acting like they won the Super Bowl.

It was a mistake by the Eagles.

It took their offense 3 periods to get their timing back while the defense repeatedly sacked Brady today.

The consolation prize for the Eagles loss was the cocky Cowboys demise today at the hands of the 49ers.

All in all a good day.

Good bye Big Ben. It was a wild career.  Fair winds and following ...whatever.

KC looked very good.  The Bills looked better.

Good luck next week

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6.1.15  Freefaller  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.1.10    2 years ago
Glad you're having a warm spell

Thanks it was nice while it lasted but back down to -10 (not Celsius) tomorrow, oh well only 4 more months of winter to go

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6.1.16  Freefaller  replied to  CB @6.1.11    2 years ago
Brrrrrrr. My goodness!

I agree

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.1.17  sandy-2021492  replied to  Freefaller @6.1.15    2 years ago

We made it to 32 (not Celsius) and are now under a wind advisory.  Power outages still expected.  My dog leaves no paw prints on the snow, because of the glaze of ice on top of it.  My son is beyond pissed that I won't let him take my car to work on icy roads.  Fun times!

Gsquared
Professor Principal
6.1.18  Gsquared  replied to  Freefaller @6.1.15    2 years ago
-10 (not Celsius)

Hard to imagine.  That must be a bit chilly.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
6.1.19  Gsquared  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.1.17    2 years ago

We had rain again this morning.  It's cloudy now with more rain predicted for this afternoon and tonight, which is excellent!  It looks like our high today will only be 61 (definitely not Celsius).  Winter in Southern California.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1.20  Kavika   replied to  Freefaller @6.1.9    2 years ago

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPuyMnrE_T8tf1-qZ-2qhl55EJaX_e6WhClg&usqp=CAU

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6.1.21  Freefaller  replied to  Gsquared @6.1.18    2 years ago

Not really it's about the seasonal average for this time of year, I might put on a light jacket and a pair of gloves

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6.1.22  Freefaller  replied to  Kavika @6.1.20    2 years ago

Thanks for reminding me I gotta get some more propane

Gsquared
Professor Principal
6.1.23  Gsquared  replied to  Freefaller @6.1.21    2 years ago

I guess anything above 0 is t-shirt weather.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6.1.24  Freefaller  replied to  Gsquared @6.1.23    2 years ago

Lol I wouldn't say T-shirt but definately not jacket, unless of course there's wind

Veronica
Professor Guide
7  Veronica    2 years ago

We in Western NY had single digits with sub zero wind chills for the past 2 days & now we are supposed to get over a foot of snow.  Chili does sound good.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8  sandy-2021492    2 years ago

My neighbors' kids just went by my house on a sled pulled by their Siberian husky.  Yeah, it's mushing weather now.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8    2 years ago

The view from my deck.  Usually, I can see the town where I work, and the mountain ridge on the other side of the valley.  Not today.  Even the neighbor's houses are a bit blurry.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Gsquared  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1    2 years ago

That is pretty amazing.

Ok, Sandy.  Here is a photo I just took from the balcony of my office at home, facing south, showing our sky right now.  You can see a little of our neighbors' houses across the canyon.  If I had a wide-angle lens instead of a cell phone camera, you could see a whole lot more sky.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Gsquared @8.1.1    2 years ago

Wow, that looks heavenly.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
8.1.3  Gsquared  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1.2    2 years ago

Thanks, Sandy.  I do love it here.

Ender
Professor Principal
8.1.4  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1    2 years ago

Somehow I pictured you in the woods.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @8.1.4    2 years ago

I'm surrounded by woods, but the area around my house was cleared before the house was built.  I have 3 acres, half cleared for a yard, half wooded.

CB
Professor Principal
8.1.6  CB  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1    2 years ago

Nice. Thank you for sharing what's real! This is better than imagination! (Since it does not snow EVER where I am.)

Don't mean to stress you out or anything, but when do you begin to think about snow on the roof (a 'weighty' issue.)

CB
Professor Principal
8.1.7  CB  replied to  Gsquared @8.1.3    2 years ago

Real deal. :) :) :)

Ender
Professor Principal
8.1.8  Ender  replied to  CB @8.1.6    2 years ago

We probably get snow maybe once every ten years.

Not much at all at a time and it usually doesn't even last half a day.

CB
Professor Principal
8.1.9  CB  replied to  Ender @8.1.8    2 years ago

Just enough to 'wet' your experience and then. . . the 'dirty' drips-huh?  But, you do get 'stellar' pics during the spell?  One year too long ago we had a freak hail storm that was a thin-line of cold air 'sat on' us. Ice stuck froze everything, roofs, cars, and lawns and it was picturesque. After 24 hours the melting started. . .ugh!!!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1.10  sandy-2021492  replied to  CB @8.1.6    2 years ago

I've never worried about it.  Also, I'm afraid of heights, and not going up there in the snow, ice, and wind, anyway.

When I lived on a mountain in WV, my ex would shovel snow from the roof, but the drifts were almost as high as the eaves, so if he'd fallen, he'd have had a soft landing.

CB
Professor Principal
8.1.11  CB  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1.10    2 years ago

That's deep. I mean really. That's deep. Real living: out there.

Ender
Professor Principal
8.1.12  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1.10    2 years ago

If I remember correctly, when I lived in MD they would warn more of falling ice.

Ender
Professor Principal
8.1.13  Ender  replied to  CB @8.1.11    2 years ago

There was an old joke when I lived in snow areas. You could tell which houses were better insulated by how much snow remained on the roof.

CB
Professor Principal
8.1.14  CB  replied to  Ender @8.1.13    2 years ago

Ahh! Good point! I get it. So, which is preferable 'melt' roof top snow or snow caps up there? Poor insulation is better? ??

Ender
Professor Principal
8.1.15  Ender  replied to  CB @8.1.14    2 years ago

I don't know codes now but they use to be built with weight load in mind.

Our roof was steep so it usually fell off on its own.

Like I said on another post, ice was usually a bigger problem.

An icicle, a weapon that disappears...

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1.16  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @8.1.13    2 years ago

All our houses are well insulated.  The snow stays on for days.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1.17  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @8.1.12    2 years ago

We seldom have enough snow to damage a roof, and my roof is pretty steeply pitched, anyway. 

Homes with metal roofs have snow stops to take some momentum from sliding snow/ice.

MCN_KYP_LMCurbs_Aug16_2.jpg

CB
Professor Principal
8.1.18  CB  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1.17    2 years ago

Ahh. That's nice and thoughtful.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1.19  sandy-2021492  replied to  CB @8.1.18    2 years ago

It doesn't just protect people.  It can keep your guttering from being torn down, too.

CB
Professor Principal
8.1.20  CB  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1.19    2 years ago

That's so smart.

See? There it is. We're (all) Americans! We come from different parts of the country and so we have different tests, trials, and tribulations. This 'plain-talk' proves it. You guys get cold and even colder (Freefaller) than I have ever been in this life. I can barely imagine being in sub-temps (except, I watched a TV weather person excitedly throw some water in the air only to have it near instantly freeze.)

You all have 'heating oil' I hear somewhere on the East Coast that is required every year. I have never needed it.

We're all one beautiful group of misfits (just kidding). We're Americans. We belong together. We shiver together. We 'burn' together. We can re-bond. . .together.

We just have to remember kinship.

(Putting my warm fuzzy soapbox away for the night. The spirit moved me, y'all!)

cjcold
Professor Quiet
8.1.21  cjcold  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1.10    2 years ago

Used to have a cabin in Colorado that I had to shovel the snow off of the roof or risk collapse on a weekly basis.

Ender
Professor Principal
8.2  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8    2 years ago

That would have been comical...Haha

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @8.2    2 years ago

It was.  The dog seemed to be having just as much fun as the kids.

CB
Professor Principal
8.2.2  CB  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.2.1    2 years ago

I am just sitting here listening to a beautiful song and looking at your picture. We have such an interestingly beautiful world!

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
9  al Jizzerror    2 years ago

When I was a child I lived at NAS Argentia, Newfoundland.  

Snow forecasts were in feet (not inches).

Kavika
Professor Principal
10  Kavika     2 years ago

My cousin Luther Walks the Horse giving the weather report from Crystal ND. He was suspended after this beauty. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
10.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Kavika @10    2 years ago

I fail to see the problem.

Kavika
Professor Principal
10.1.1  Kavika   replied to  sandy-2021492 @10.1    2 years ago

The station felt his language was a bit too ''rough'', most everyone else though it was perfect.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
10.2  al Jizzerror  replied to  Kavika @10    2 years ago
He was suspended

Yah?

Aw Jeez!

(I know that's actually a Minnesota accent, butt it's too fucking cold to talk in North Dakota

Kavika
Professor Principal
10.2.1  Kavika   replied to  al Jizzerror @10.2    2 years ago

Actually, northern MN gets colder than ND. 

LOL, Indians don't have the MN accent, Al. 

Youbetcha, uffda that accent is for the Chimooks.

This is another cousin giving the weather report from Leech Lake Ojibwe reservation in northern MN. This is Ojibwe accent in MN.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
10.2.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Kavika @10.2.1    2 years ago

The ice looks like...betcha won't catch my ass out there jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
10.2.3  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @10.2.1    2 years ago

What can I say.......LOVE IT!! jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

That's my kind of weatherman! jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

Professor Guide
10.2.4  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Kavika @10.2.1    2 years ago

The snow's gonna git way up in ner; way up in ner; waayyy, waayyy, waaayyyyyy up in ner!!

Professor Guide
10.2.5  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  al Jizzerror @10.2    2 years ago

Ha!!

shona1
PhD Quiet
10.3  shona1  replied to  Kavika @10    2 years ago

Geez some people have no sense of humour...good on him for calling it as he sees it...

Hope he got his job back...

Kavika
Professor Principal
10.3.1  Kavika   replied to  shona1 @10.3    2 years ago

He did get it back after a week's suspension.

Professor Guide
10.4  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Kavika @10    2 years ago

Best. Weather. Report. Ever.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
11  Mark in Wyoming     2 years ago

Almost feel like im cheating this year , practically no snow whatsoever in my area of wyo , call it the doughnut hole , its all going around me . about a week ago got some forecast and decide to finally hook up the plow , only to not have to use it , havent even taken the snow blower out of the shed, simply started it back in dec to make sure it would start.  havent had a need for it.

Its a different kind of snow as well , not a heavy wet moisture filled kind , but dry and fine , most it blows over to the next county as hardpack .

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
11.1  Freefaller  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @11    2 years ago
but dry and fine

Lol that's our normal snow, mostly you can clear your driveway with a leaf blower.  Bit unusual though this year to have 4 - 5 feet of it

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
11.1.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Freefaller @11.1    2 years ago

I moved from an area that got 110 inches annually usually( over 9 ft) to one that usually gets about  less than 70, there is a difference in the moisture content of the snow as well , but that all depends on the tracks the storms take , , and thats not accounting for the difference in elevation or the geographic terrain .

i have lived where i do long enough to know what type of snow is coming depending on which direction it comes from . if its from the southwest it MIGHT be alittle heavier , if it comes from the north or north west , because of terrain its usually lighter with a lot of wind which blows it south or south east , and given the mnt ranges sometimes where i sit , the storms just roll around me and leave me with nothing .

My indicator of what type of water year is coming ( wet or dry ) is watching the mnt tops about 30 miles away as the crow flies , right now , even though we dont have anything on the plains or valley floor  , the mnts are snow covered , though they could use a little more .

charger 383
Professor Silent
12  charger 383    2 years ago

I fired up the grill, it's under the edge of the roof, and grilled a big juicy steak.  Snow and sleet still coming down about 6"  

Ender
Professor Principal
12.1  Ender  replied to  charger 383 @12    2 years ago

Damn the torpedos ! We are going to grill !   Haha

Now you are making me hungry. Steak is expensive around here.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
12.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  charger 383 @12    2 years ago

When it snows, I bake.  Chocolate chip cookies.  Might have eaten some raw cookie dough.  Always worth the risk.

Professor Guide
12.2.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  sandy-2021492 @12.2    2 years ago
Might have eaten some raw cookie dough.  Always worth the risk.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Split Personality
Professor Guide
12.2.2  Split Personality  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @12.2.1    2 years ago

Spit cookies,  hehehehehehehe,  legendary to my daughters, lol.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
12.2.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  Split Personality @12.2.2    2 years ago

I got a clean spoon each time I snuck some dough.  I'm not a barbarian!

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
12.3  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  charger 383 @12    2 years ago

my grill NEVER gets put away , its always grillin or BBQ season , i could be facing a Saskatoon screamer and an alberta clipper and ild still be grilling outside , and likely wearing a kilt  too.tellin folks its only a little balmy ...

Professor Guide
12.3.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @12.3    2 years ago
i could be facing a Saskatoon screamer and an alberta clipper and ild still be grilling outside , and likely wearing a kilt  too.

Pics or it ain't true.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
12.3.2  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @12.3.1    2 years ago

of me grilling? or wearing a kilt , or both?

Ender
Professor Principal
12.3.3  Ender  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @12.3.2    2 years ago

Ok, we don't need any Marilyn Monroe moment...

Professor Guide
12.3.4  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Ender @12.3.3    2 years ago
Ok, we don't need any Marilyn Monroe moment...

Speak for yourself!

Professor Guide
12.3.5  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @12.3.2    2 years ago
of me grilling? or wearing a kilt , or both?

Both, of course!

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
12.3.6  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Ender @12.3.3    2 years ago

thankfully , such a pic , does not exist( that i know of ) , closest i came was wearing one while riding a motorcycle through town ..... 

now i do know pics exist of a woman checking to see if the kilt was being worn authentically, from behind ....

Ender
Professor Principal
12.3.7  Ender  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @12.3.6    2 years ago

A kilt on a motorcycle. Seems like a risqué endeavor...

Haha

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
12.3.8  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Ender @12.3.7    2 years ago

only did it once , june bugs are hell....even if it is a small target 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
13  sandy-2021492    2 years ago

My neighbor is plowing my driveway and the road through our neighborhood.  What a good guy!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
14  sandy-2021492    2 years ago

I let the dog out, then had to go help him back up the front porch steps.  He's not heavy enough to break through the ice on top of the snow, and just kept sliding back down the steps.  I had to stomp a bit to break through it, myeslf.

Ender
Professor Principal
14.1  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @14    2 years ago

Hahaha

Sorry but I just had to laugh. Between that and the kids mushing past....

At least you had a little comic relief during it.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
14.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @14.1    2 years ago

It's ok.  I laughed too, until snow got into my shoes.

Professor Guide
14.2  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  sandy-2021492 @14    2 years ago

200w.gif?cid=ecf05e47reu0mbuo0tkwujpji9ui4h932lk6j5bv9m9r7ldi&rid=200w.gif&ct=g

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
14.2.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @14.2    2 years ago

Bwaaaahaaaa!  The second one was hilarious.  You could just see him thinking "What the HELL just happened?!"

Ender
Professor Principal
14.2.2  Ender  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @14.2    2 years ago

Haha. We had a neighbor that had a little elderly dog. She let it out and the snow was as tall as it was. It ended up freezing stiff. She had to go pick it up and bring it back in and warm it up.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
14.2.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @14.2    2 years ago

Professor Guide
14.2.4  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Greg Jones @14.2.3    2 years ago

Those are some smart dogs.  

Ender
Professor Principal
14.3  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @14    2 years ago

The only picture of snow I could find.

I remember one year we had a blizzard and about three foot of snow.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
14.3.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Ender @14.3    2 years ago

who's wearing the Sabbath shirt ?

Ender
Professor Principal
14.3.2  Ender  replied to  igknorantzrulz @14.3.1    2 years ago

I wanted to lie and say it was me but I am not in that pic. 

Professor Guide
14.3.3  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Ender @14.3    2 years ago

There's more hair per square inch in that picture than Carter has liver pills!  Those were the days.

squiggy
Junior Silent
15  squiggy    2 years ago

It's wonderful that with abundant warning, recent experience and being a Sunday there were only 1000 accidents.