╌>

Florida bans 54 of its school math textbooks for 'trying to indoctrinate students': Half of the prohibited titles feature Critical Race Theory

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  1stwarrior  •  2 years ago  •  405 comments

Florida bans 54 of its school math textbooks for 'trying to indoctrinate students': Half of the prohibited titles feature Critical Race Theory

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The   Florida   Department of Education rejected 54 math textbooks from its curriculum on Friday, saying the books were an attempt to 'indoctrinate' students - with more than half of them banned for referencing  Critical Race Theory   (CRT). 

The agency tossed out 41 percent of the 132 math textbooks submitted for next year's curriculum because they were not 'aligned with Florida standards or included prohibited topics and unsolicited strategies,' the DOE said in a statement on Friday. 

'Reasons for rejecting textbooks included references to Critical Race Theory (CRT), inclusions of Common Core, and the unsolicited addition of Social Emotional Learning (SEL) in mathematics,' the department added, noting that all three learning practices are banned in the state. 

'The highest number of books rejected were for grade levels K-5, where an alarming 71 percent were not appropriately aligned with Florida standards or included prohibited topics and unsolicited strategies.' 

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis had banned CRT as a component in Florida schools, claiming it promotes hatred among students and makes individuals feel guilty for racism of the past. 

'It seems that some publishers attempted to slap a coat of paint on an old house built on the foundation of Common Core, and indoctrinating concepts like race essentialism, especially, bizarrely, for elementary school students,' he said of the rejected books. 

'I'm grateful that Commissioner [of Education Richard] Corcoran and his team at the Department have conducted such a thorough vetting of these textbooks to ensure they comply with the law.' 

Florida Commissioner of Education Richard Corcoran said the other 24 banned books were thrown out for including Common Core and SEL practices, which were banned in the state in 2019, and failing to align to the department's standards of education. 

'We're going to ensure that Florida has the highest-quality instructional materials aligned to our nationally-recognized standards,' said Corcoran. 'Florida has become a national leader in education under the vision and leadership of Governor DeSantis. 

'When it comes to education, other states continue to follow Florida's lead as we continue to reinforce parents' rights by focusing on providing their children with a world-class education without the fear of indoctrination or exposure to dangerous and divisive concepts in our classrooms,' Corcoran said.  

Corcoran said he had warned publishers to make sure the books kept up with the state's laws when he invited them to submit the textbooks last year. 

The DOE added, 'It is unfortunate that several publishers, especially at the elementary school grade levels, have ignored this clear communication and have attempted to slip rebranded instructional materials based on Common Core Standards into Florida's classrooms, while others have included prohibited and divisive concepts such as the tenants of CRT or other unsolicited strategies of indoctrination – despite FDOE's prior notification.' 

The rejected publishers will be able to appeal the state's decision and are granted the right to alter the submitted textbooks as long as it meets that state's specifications. 

It's the latest blow against 'wokeness' in the state after the legislature approved DeSantis' bill last month barring schools and private businesses from making students or employees feel 'guilt' or 'any form of psychological stress' because of their national origin, sex or race. 

Specifically, the bill would outlaw teachings that assert certain individuals are 'inherently racist [or] sexist] - or 'morally superior' - or that characterize individuals' status as 'privileged' or 'oppressed' based on their race, sex or national origin.' 

Florida Sen. Manny Diaz, Jr., who pushed the bill through the senate, said the bill was not meant to cover up America's history with racism, but to not blame students for past wrongs.   

'It's not about the feel. We can't control how a person feels about a topic,' Diaz told the   Washington Post.   'But what we can control is to have a teacher not go to a student … and impose on a male student that they are sexist simply because they are a considered a male.' 

In March, the state also passed the Parental Rights in Education bill, which bans teaching   gender  ideology for children at elementary schools. 

It will become law from July 1, and teachers who breach its regulations can be sued by parents. 

Critics, however, say it teaches young kids to believe they are wrong for being different and that forcing schools to report students who are receiving mental health services is taking away a safe space for those students to be themselves.

Even the White House weighed in on what has become the latest culture wars clash, with press secretary Jen Psaki claiming last week it was 'hateful' and 'misinformed'.

Florida has banned 54 of the 132 math textbooks submitted to the state, a total of 41 percent. 

Of the rejected books:  

• Twenty-eight, or 21 percent, are not included on the adopted list because they incorporate prohibited topics or unsolicited strategies, including CRT 
  • Twelve are not included on the adopted list because they do not properly align to B.E.S.T. Standards 
  • Fourteen are not included on the adopted list because they do not properly align to B.E.S.T. Standards and incorporate prohibited topics or unsolicited strategies, including CRT 

In Grades K-5, 71 percent of materials were rejected. 

Grades 6-8 saw 20 percent of materials rejected, and in grades 9-12, 35 percent of materials were rejected. 

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1  seeder  1stwarrior    2 years ago

Why is it, I wonder, that MATH books submitted for public schools, contain "Critical Race Theory?" Is 1 + 1 = 2 somehow dependent upon your skin color?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1  Jack_TX  replied to  1stwarrior @1    2 years ago
Reasons for rejecting textbooks included references to Critical Race Theory (CRT), inclusions of Common Core, and the unsolicited addition of Social Emotional Learning (SEL) in mathematics,' the department added, noting that all three learning practices are banned in the state.

It may not have anything to do with CRT.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.1.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1    2 years ago

That sounds a lot like banning speech to me Jack.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  SteevieGee @1.1.1    2 years ago

Talk to me when they ban Algebra and I’ll be right by your side defending it.     Math nerds unite!!

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  SteevieGee @1.1.1    2 years ago

How does text book selection work in your state, Steevie?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.4  Jack_TX  replied to  SteevieGee @1.1.1    2 years ago

Seriously?

There are no French lessons in the math textbooks.  Does that mean they're banning French?  

In today's environment, math class is one of the few places a student can go and not have to talk about everybody's feelings or whatever political foolishness is on the news that day.  It's a safe haven from nonsense, and people need to take their social/emotional bullshit somewhere else.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1.1.5  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  SteevieGee @1.1.1    2 years ago

How 'bout showing/giving us some examples of how it's banning speech Steevie.

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.6  bugsy  replied to  1stwarrior @1.1.5    2 years ago
How 'bout showing/giving us some examples of how it's banning speech Steevie.

Cue the "silent" feature most libs have when they are confronted with a challenge they know they won't be able to meet.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.7  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  bugsy @1.1.6    2 years ago

Chirp chirp chirp. Them crickets sure are deafening!

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.8  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.4    2 years ago

What the "h" do you mean by "social/emotional bullshit,' Jack? It's conservatives feelings of loss, regret, and shame that some conservatives are looking to cover-up with combat and future ignorance (AKA: the dumbing down of red-states populace). Should this dumbing-down be successful, children born into "red-state culture" will resent the forebearers who stop stupidly in not trying to get along with the rest of the citizenry. That citizenry, they, conservative forebearers, will have bit off their noses to spite!

Because if history teaches us one thing, it is this: If we forget our past history; we're doomed to repeat it. In this case, conservatives can play the fool in an effort to push back against all those many apologies delivered for past national transgressions against their fellow citizen groups, to recreate the same incivility, only to at some time again in some future generation of conservatives to be made truly shameful, regretful, and probably sorrowful, for making the vain attempt at being 'robots.' 

It simply can't sustain itself. Emotions are everywhere in our society. Even with today's conservatives. The conservative party is fracturing, stress-lines are forming, widening, and deepening.

BTW, there are liberals living with those red-states and they will resent (fight) conservatives for trying to dumb their kids down. You will have no respite. Your kids, likely a majority, will be offended that their elders tried to deceive them. Or, were so dismally stupid that they deceived themselves.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  CB @1.1.8    2 years ago

Maybe liberals will turn to alternative education like home schooling. If one or more parent has a grasp of what needs to be taught and teaches their kids to think for themselves this could turn into a big thing. Then the cons can have the public schools they always wanted and maybe even bring religion back into school.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.10  CB  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.9    2 years ago

"Cons" don't like race-mixing on a grand-scale. They are 'afeared" the other races are turning to empower some of their own ideas in a classroom near -them. They only are trying to get ahead of the curve and take advantage of the SCOTUS they perceive now as conservative-leaning. This what we see now is their attempts to run everything up to the high court and get a conservative 'swing' of the pendulum there on a host of issues. It is like a pride of lions on the Serengeti that has 'knocked' off a pack of Wildebeest and they are overjoyed with the 'bounty.'  Eventually, cons would and will act to move to shut down public schools.  And, that's when you will know for sure that it is their feelings that are driving them, because it will be the dumbest move in the history of this nation! People educating themselves in private "silos" —to come out and compete against "themselves" and against our national interests!

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.11  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @1.1.8    2 years ago
What the "h" do you mean by "social/emotional bullshit,' Jack?

Just that.  

Nobody gives a shit about your emotions during Algebra.  They're not allowed through the door of your Calculus class.  

Emotions are everywhere in our society.

In your life, maybe.  Maybe if you did more math, you wouldn't have that problem.

Strangely enough, the IRS does not care how I "feel" about the shitload of taxes I had to pay on Monday.  My clients don't care how I "feel" about the numbers I generate to help them grow their businesses.  My bank doesn't care if I'm happy or sad when I spend money, Exxon doesn't give a tinker's damn whether or not I've been oppressed when I'm filling up my car, and Warren Buffet doesn't even know my emotional state concerning how my shares of Berkshire Hathaway are doing.

That's the real trick of "white male privilege", BTW.  It's amazing what you can accomplish when you realize nobody gives a shit how you feel about anything anyway, so you may as well just get on with your life and do the best you can.

BTW, there are liberals living with those red-states and they will resent (fight) conservatives for trying to dumb their kids down. You will have no respite. Your kids, likely a majority, will be offended that their elders tried to deceive them. Or, were so dismally stupid that they deceived themselves.

Right.  Well....my daughter has a graduate degree in mathematics....and you want to talk about your feelings... so the irony of you talking about red-states and dumbing down is pretty much off the charts. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  CB @1.1.10    2 years ago

somebody has sold you a bill of goods, and you bought it!

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.13  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.9    2 years ago

They can leave the religion out of it, the rest will be fine thank you. Religion has no place in school in my opinin.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.14  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.11    2 years ago

Yeah? Well, I am not the one supporting an ass for president who lies and cheats his way 'through.' You can pretend not to be emotional creatures, because it makes you feel that you are advantaged on the topic - you are not! I have been out of school too long to know what math and CRT has to do with students today, but I am pretty sure that where there is a will there is a way.

You emotionally driven conservatives, 'hurt' to see liberals excel or "be best" at anything you all fail at, obsess at finding ways to shield the bs y'all spout and thus never getting to the nitty gritty of what is happening that is causing the divide and hell in this country.

I will wait and supply examples of "karen sounds" emanating from the 'pens' of some conservatives momentarily.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.15  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.11    2 years ago
[M]y daughter has a graduate degree in mathematics....and you want to talk about your feelings...

Well, I imagine, Jack_TX, that she all by her lonesome is not representative of a likely majority, eh? Over-personalize, much?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.16  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.12    2 years ago

Along with the hook, line, and sinker as well.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.17  CB  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1.16    2 years ago

Y'all are ones to talk. You conservatives,with your delicate kids. You think your kids are offended by truth and so you want to turn schools into 'filtration' camps and send little conservatives there to thrash it out with others who won't entertain the nonsense. What comes next? Outlawing intelligence?

Got news for you, you can't teach critical thinking if you only use selective truths and not the whole truth found on both sides of a perspective. People will out-talk, out- think, out-read, and out learn the handicapped conservative youth who will soon enough abandon the delusion if they hope to stay relevant in the world!

Conservatives, seriously, y'all can't be that dumb! Mentally 'mind-jacking' your own children?!! It's good y'all have forgotten what shame is, because this is some bold-faced bs y'all have set to trying to place on this nation.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.18  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1.16    2 years ago

[deleted]

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.19  CB  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1.18    2 years ago

[deleted]

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.20  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @1.1.14    2 years ago
Yeah?

Yeah.

Well, I am not the one supporting an ass for president who lies and cheats his way 'through.'

I voted for Biden, so I'm not sure where you're headed with this.

You can pretend not to be emotional creatures, because it makes you feel that you are advantaged on the topic - you are not!

So we're not "advantaged".  Good.  Glad we got that sorted out.

You'll notice I didn't say we're not emotional....or at least you would have noticed if you ever read anything without projecting your own prejudice on it... I said nobody cares.  It's actually quite liberating.  

I have been out of school too long to know what math and CRT has to do with students today, but I am pretty sure that where there is a will there is a way.

So you're admitting you have no idea what you're talking about, but you're not going to let that challenge your opinions.  Outstanding.  That is exactly how the religion of politics usually works.

You emotionally driven conservatives, 'hurt' to see liberals excel or "be best" at anything you all fail at, obsess at finding ways to shield the bs y'all spout and thus never getting to the nitty gritty of what is happening that is causing the divide and hell in this country.

You presume people care.  You presume they're like you.  They're not.  There are tens of millions of people who are utterly indifferent about the success or failures of you or any other liberal.  They're not "hurt" or "afraid" or "obsessed" or anything else.

If you want to excel...do so.  If you want to "be the best", I've been telling you for months that nobody is stopping you from doing whatever you want to do.  The only person holding you down is you.  

Nobody else gives a shit, and the sooner you embrace that, the better chance you have of actually achieving something.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.21  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.20    2 years ago
You'll notice I didn't say we're not emotional....or at least you would have noticed if you ever read anything without projecting your own prejudice on it... I said nobody cares.  It's actually quite liberating.

So not emotional, just flippant? I'm sticking with you want me to pretend to accept conservative bs just because. Talking out of both sides of you all mouths seems prevalent on the conservative side. Just say what you mean and mean what you say!  And, when you are wrong say, "Sorry" or "I stand corrected." And move on.

Quite "liberating" indeed!

No one is buying the "combat Jack" bull patty anyway. Trump taught some conservatives to fight over bull shit. Why? Because bullshit eventually reveals itself as just trash to be flushed after its had its days drying in the sun.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.22  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.20    2 years ago
So you're admitting you have no idea what you're talking about, but you're not going to let that challenge your opinions.  Outstanding.  That is exactly how the religion of politics usually works.

You took the bait. Project much?  How can we know you know what the "h" you're writing about? Some conservatives are known for being opportunists, who try to "get mileage" out of other people's words, why using smoke and mirrors to spread misinformation and right-wing talking points. Y'all play many childish and stupid games on social media platforms. And, that much I do know!  I can get caught up on a topic and admit that I am doing so. Why?

Because it does not offend me to not know something or to research and learn something new or more and then change my opinion. It's call being a human with feelings and not just a loud, problem-person on the site!

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.23  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @1.1.15    2 years ago
Well, I imagine, Jack_TX, that she all by her lonesome is not representative of a likely majority, eh? Over-personalize, much?

Well don't imagine CB.  Show us some math that supports your accusations.   You know.... those numbers they sneak in there in between kids being all "social and emotional".

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.24  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.20    2 years ago
You presume people care.  You presume they're like you.  They're not.  There are tens of millions of people who are utterly indifferent about the success or failures of you or any other liberal.  They're not "hurt" or "afraid" or "obsessed" or anything else.

Yes, your conservatives live for this shit. You're obsessed with liberals and liberal ideology. After all, you can't 'wage' political warfare against [Trump] your own, because y'all are perfect and delusionally so. Y'all shit don't stank!  But, daily, y'all are convinced that liberals can't tie their shoes or walk and chew gun at the same time. Get real. Stop telling. .. untruths. I don't believe you conservatives when you won't tell the truth.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.25  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.20    2 years ago
If you want to excel...do so.  If you want to "be the best", I've been telling you for months that nobody is stopping you from doing whatever you want to do.  The only person holding you down is you.   Nobody else gives a shit, and the sooner you embrace that, the better chance you have of actually achieving something.

That is a a conservative lie! Y'all are interfering with schools in Florida. And once you have the 'blueprint' it will be copied and spread across red-states proper via facsimile, email attachments, and webinars. Next: It's fight all the way through the "conservative" court system - y'all are so proud of acquiring. Guess y'all might as well use the "f" out the courts since you earned them?

Well, you won't be using them to stop conservative policies, will you? NO, y'all don't want liberals to be best. Because y'all can't be best. Taking policies back to the past ain't creative! It's redundant. But, its all y'all have. So, it's liberal best you want to quell. Tell the truth.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.26  Texan1211  replied to  CB @1.1.25    2 years ago
That is a a conservative lie!

It is a lie that you can be as successful as you want to be if you are hard working?

Wow.

I guess it is always easier to blame others (conservatives) than to accept responsibility for your own lot in life.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.27  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @1.1.21    2 years ago
So not emotional, just flippant?

I'm actually very good at flippant.  I'm downright amazing at sarcastic.

I'm sticking with you want me to pretend to accept conservative bs just because.

I'm indifferent about what you pretend to do.  The fact is you have a religious level commitment to an often erroneous set of beliefs and no amount of factual evidence to the contrary ever dissuades you. 

Talking out of both sides of you all mouths seems prevalent on the conservative side. Just say what you mean and mean what you say!  And, when you are wrong say, "Sorry" or "I stand corrected." And move on.

I keep saying exactly what I mean to say.  You just refuse to believe it because it doesn't fit within your window of expected outcomes.  We've been doing this for a long time.

No one is buying the "combat Jack" bull patty anyway.

Do you even see what you're doing here?  Nobody has any idea what you're talking about, but whatever it is...you're not going to believe that I actually said what I meant. 

Trump taught some conservatives to fight over bull shit.

Because they didn't already know that.  He held classes and everything.  It was a degree you could get from Trump University.  Most of these folks have the certificate framed on the wall between Grampa's army flag and their AR15.  (told you I was good at sarcasm)

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.28  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.23    2 years ago

Maybe just review past history of those 40 acres and a mule that did not add up to land ownership for the African Americans who were given land and then had it taken away? What is the math on that land being dispossessed? And how many years has it been since blacks lived on 'the promise' not kept?

The U.S. conservatives who talked the government into RENEGING on the 'blacks.' Evidently, land ownership would have been a calculated way out of poverty for blacks that southern whites thought was better suited for their (greedy) descendants.

Or maybe you mean the calculated wealth lost and not counted by Africans who were not allowed to learn to read or write under federal law? However, when 'fortune' and fame found its way into their pockets in spite of this and the ownership of lands and properties too - there were 'needy' Whites grumbling and who would swindle them out it with sordid stealth contracts and shady court proceedings?  What is the calculable wealth losses there?

And 'black wall street' bombed in Tulsa, Oklahoma? Because whites wanted the land and black success to be failure instead? How will you calculate the losses of property and enterprises? And lives not allowed to be 'best' due to white jealousy and envy?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.29  Texan1211  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.27    2 years ago

Got to say, this is kind of fun watching these exchanges.

Leaves me wondering where we will end up going next, because right now it looks like the conversation is all over the place.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.30  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.27    2 years ago

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.31  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @1.1.24    2 years ago
Yes, your conservatives live for this shit.

I dunno bro.  I think it's college football and barbecue.

You're obsessed with liberals and liberal ideology.

Nah.  We're just in one of those periods where liberals have let liberal ideology cross over into the realm of complete batshit, and the really crazy ones are demanding everybody else play along.  They've got everything from "US History really started in 1619" to "my 3yr old is transgender".  

After all, you can't 'wage' political warfare against [Trump] your own, because y'all are perfect and delusionally so. Y'all shit don't stank!

About that "realm of complete batshit"...  What are you even talking about?  

But, daily, y'all are convinced that liberals can't tie their shoes or walk and chew gun at the same time. Get real. Stop telling. .. untruths. I don't believe you conservatives when you won't tell the truth.

We've already discussed the fact that you don't believe them when they are telling the truth.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.32  Texan1211  replied to  CB @1.1.30    2 years ago

Damn! I thought it was on sale!

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.33  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.31    2 years ago
Nah.  We're just in one of those periods where liberals have let liberal ideology cross over into the realm of complete batshit, and the really crazy ones are demanding everybody else play along.  They've got everything from "US History really started in 1619" to "my 3yr old is transgender".

Now you're just sitting and spinning. U.S. history didn't start with the constitution. . . or, do you conservatives intend to dispense with 'Thanksgiving' with its pilgrim history and the Wampanoag Native American in 1621? (Do the math. See the continuous timeline.)

Would you like a trans kid if he or she sat down next to one of you? I thought you could be sarcastic?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.34  Texan1211  replied to  CB @1.1.33    2 years ago
U.S. history didn't start with the constitution. . .

Why are you arguing what no one has stated?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.35  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @1.1.25    2 years ago
That is a a conservative lie!

Explain in detail who is stopping you from doing whatever you want to do.

Y'all are interfering with schools in Florida.

How?  Be specific.

It's an interesting idea because everybody everywhere keeps saying that CRT is not being taught in public schools and this is all some baseless fear mongering.  So if it's not being taught, how is prohibiting it an interference?

And once you have the 'blueprint' it will be copied and spread across red-states proper via facsimile, email attachments, and webinars. Next: It's fight all the way through the "conservative" court system - y'all are so proud of acquiring. Guess y'all might as well use the "f" out the courts since you earned them?

Describe the basis for the lawsuits you say will be filed?

Well, you won't be using them to stop conservative policies, will you?

What policies do you believe are being pushed in public schools? 

NO, y'all don't want liberals to be best. Because y'all can't be best. Taking policies back to the past ain't creative! It's redundant. But, its all y'all have. So, it's liberal best you want to quell. Tell the truth.

If you imagine "liberal best" to be teaching 6 year olds about gender dysphoria, I seriously question your judgment.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.36  Jack_TX  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.32    2 years ago
Damn! I thought it was on sale!

That's why it IS on sale.  Apparently, it's not a popular item.

Maybe we need an ad campaign or something.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.37  Texan1211  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.35    2 years ago

[deleted]

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.38  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @1.1.33    2 years ago
Now you're just sitting and spinning. U.S. history didn't start with the constitution.

I think you'll find it started with the Declaration of Independence.

. . or, do you conservatives intend to dispense with 'Thanksgiving' with its pilgrim history and the Wampanoag Native American in 1621? (Do the math. See the continuous timeline.)

You do realize that none of those people were American, right?

Would you like a trans kid if he or she sat down next to one of you? I thought you could be sarcastic?

A transgender 6-year-old is like a vegan cat.  We all know who's making that decision.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.39  Jack_TX  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.37    2 years ago
Say, is there a Martyr Hall of Fame? We got a nominee in our midst!

On a serious, non-sarcastic note....

If you've been fed a line of bullshit long enough, breaking free from it is staggeringly difficult. 

I think it was Twain who said "it is much easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled" (badly paraphrased and possibly incorrectly attributed, sorry..but you get the idea)

If you've been told all your life that the reason you're poor or can't ever get ahead is that racists are preventing your success, it's very easy to believe that.

Exponentially compounding that problem is the white liberals who are eternally emotional about it all are the same people whose emotions keep them from being any good with money themselves, so they have zero idea how to help and zero dollars to fund a plan.

I've made 10% in the last 10 days shorting US treasuries into rising interest rates.  How many fervent liberals do you know who would even begin to know how to do that, much less understand how they could make money doing it?   We're talking about people who don't understand the difference between a mutual fund and an IRA... and they want to solve the issue of economic inequality.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.40  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.35    2 years ago
It's an interesting idea because everybody everywhere keeps saying that CRT is not being taught in public schools and this is all some baseless fear mongering.  So if it's not being taught, how is prohibiting it an interference?

Don't try that counter-psycho bull patty on me. What's interesting is that conservatives are 'f-ing' around with liberals yet again. You, for instance, are not denying it-which would help your pretense.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.41  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.35    2 years ago

You can question anything you wish. When you finish doing so - souls in "h" need cold water!

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.42  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.38    2 years ago
We all know who's making that decision.

Well then, don't be a tease: Tell already. And do drop in a little of the nuance just for the sake of salaciousness.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.43  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.38    2 years ago
You do realize that none of those people were American, right?

Yes, they were ancestors of "Americans" - I think I referred to it as continuity. How else did the "ancestors" arrive here? Ship, horseback, or coach?

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.44  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.39    2 years ago
Exponentially compounding that problem is the white liberals who are eternally emotional about it all are the same people whose emotions keep them from being any good with money themselves, so they have zero idea how to help and zero dollars to fund a plan.

Abolitionist John Brown comes to mind right now. No way, a conservative like you would support Africans of his day and their freedoms? 'Poor' John Brown giving a damn about those 'darkies' who had not a damn hope in this country-apart from Brown's emotional concern for them. Hey you— Anti-John Brown! What would you have done to help free the 'American' slaves? Or would you have told them to get their own black 'asses' out and up from slavery?

Would you tell the old slaves that slavery was a meal and roof over their heads? That they didn't need to read, because white men would read for them? That white men would give their black girls and women 'lighter' skin tones in a few 'easy' steps?

What the "h" would an unfeeling, FACTUAL conservative like you have done to an emotional white "liberal" like abolitionist John Brown? Please take your time and be specific.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.45  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.39    2 years ago
I've made 10% in the last 10 days shorting US treasuries into rising interest rates.  How many fervent liberals do you know who would even begin to know how to do that, much less understand how they could make money doing it?   We're talking about people who don't understand the difference between a mutual fund and an IRA... and they want to solve the issue of economic inequality.

And yet, when it came to killing Obamacare, Trump fell flat on his 'bald spot.' And John McCain fell so strong about letting that 'loser' fall flat on his bald spot that he went to his 'rest' telling his lifelong fellow republicans they were full of "affordable health care" bullshit. And now the economically challenged are touted by the longest sating republican senator Chuck Grassley, that "Obamacare" is here to stay. Even if republicans take the house and senate next year. So much for hyperbole. A liberal black leader has strained all the conservative 'brights" and your white 'hope' on an economic mind-field apparently you "geniuses" can't blow up!

And then we turn to the upcoming projects to fix infrastructure in this country, for which conservatives should not pass a package to get 'er done! But, stood up to steal and take the credit from liberals successes. All too reminiscent of "forty acres and a mule' conservative shiftiness don't you think?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.46  Tessylo  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.35    2 years ago

None of that is being taught - don't know why this has to be debunked constantly.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.47  Tessylo  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.27    2 years ago

You are your biggest fan.  Not amazing in the slightest.  

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.48  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.46    2 years ago

None of that is being taught

Jack didn't make any allegations in 1.1.35 about what was being taught.   

don't know why this has to be debunked constantly. 

Thanks for not debunking once again.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.49  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.11    2 years ago
Nobody gives a shit about your emotions during Algebra.  They're not allowed through the door of your Calculus class.  

Yeah...I tried crying to my Calc prof....I ended up having to take it again. But I really like math even tho I'm bad at it

And congratulations to your daughter on her master's in mathematics. She must be a super brain

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.50  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.32    2 years ago

Yep, aisle 5 at Walmart in the ammo section!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.51  Sparty On  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1.50    2 years ago

Which these days is most likely almost empty

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.52  CB  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.46    2 years ago

Because like Putin's alternative reality with Ukraine, like Trump's ridiculous truthful hyperbole,  these conservatives bring their 'strong delusion' to the comment boards here daily.

It does not matter what the truth is.

Only the narrative they select is what they play out here. So, I have decided to stop appeasing their bull shit.  Instead, I will 'labor' to make them get their 'jollies' more responsibly.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.53  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.51    2 years ago

In my area Walmart in my town, we're fairly fortunate to have a decent supply. The only thing I can't get locally is 9 mm or 223/5.56 rounds as a result of Walmart bowing to the anti gun lobby and refuses to carry those evil caliber rounds. But I can go up to Fort Huachuca Army base an hour away and get all I need there and it's tax free as well.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.54  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @1.1.40    2 years ago
Don't try that counter-psycho bull patty on me. What's interesting is that conservatives are 'f-ing' around with liberals yet again. You, for instance, are not denying it-which would help your pretense.

I'm sure that made sense in your mind when you typed it.  However that sense didn't actually make it all the way to the keyboard.  What are you talking about?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.55  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @1.1.42    2 years ago
Well then, don't be a tease: Tell already. And do drop in a little of the nuance just for the sake of salaciousness.

Parents.  Specifically, hyper emotional liberal parents who are so desperate and attention needy that they're willing to trade their child's well-being for their own emotional validation.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.56  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @1.1.43    2 years ago
Yes, they were ancestors of "Americans"

So were the Saxons at the Battle of Hastings.  How far back are we going to take this?  Does US History really start in 1066?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.57  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @1.1.44    2 years ago
Abolitionist John Brown comes to mind right now. No way, a conservative like you would support Africans of his day and their freedoms? 'Poor' John Brown giving a damn about those 'darkies' who had not a damn hope in this country-apart from Brown's emotional concern for them. Hey you— Anti-John Brown! What would you have done to help free the 'American' slaves? Or would you have told them to get their own black 'asses' out and up from slavery?
Would you tell the old slaves that slavery was a meal and roof over their heads? That they didn't need to read, because white men would read for them? That white men would give their black girls and women 'lighter' skin tones in a few 'easy' steps? What the "h" would an unfeeling, FACTUAL conservative like you have done to an emotional white "liberal" like abolitionist John Brown? Please take your time and be specific.

Remember that thing where it made sense in your mind but not anywhere else?  We're there again.

BTW, do any of your examples happen after 1970?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.58  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @1.1.45    2 years ago
And yet, when it came to killing Obamacare, Trump fell flat on his 'bald spot.' And John McCain fell so strong about letting that 'loser' fall flat on his bald spot that he went to his 'rest' telling his lifelong fellow republicans they were full of "affordable health care" bullshit. And now the economically challenged are touted by the longest sating republican senator Chuck Grassley, that "Obamacare" is here to stay. Even if republicans take the house and senate next year. So much for hyperbole. A liberal black leader has strained all the conservative 'brights" and your white 'hope' on an economic mind-field apparently you "geniuses" can't blow up!

Please do tell us all how that is in any way related to the financial illiteracy of bleeding heart liberals?

And then we turn to the upcoming projects to fix infrastructure in this country, for which conservatives should not pass a package to get 'er done! But, stood up to steal and take the credit from liberals successes. All too reminiscent of "forty acres and a mule' conservative shiftiness don't you think?

How will you profit from the upcoming infrastructure spending?  What is your plan?  How will you invest your money, alter your employment or otherwise change your behavior to capitalize on this multi-trillion dollar opportunity?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.59  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @1.1.52    2 years ago
these conservatives bring their 'strong delusion'

Right.  Sure.

You still haven't addressed the question of who exactly is stopping you from doing whatever it is you want to do.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.60  Jack_TX  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.49    2 years ago
Yeah...I tried crying to my Calc prof....I ended up having to take it again. But I really like math even tho I'm bad at it And congratulations to your daughter on her master's in mathematics. She must be a super brain

Yeah... Calc teachers/profs don't typically loosen up for tears.  They see a lot of them.

We are obviously very proud of our daughter.  She starts her PhD in the fall.  She currently teaches high school, but I'm not sure how long that will last after she finishes her doctorate.

She's an interesting case, because she's actually a pretty emotionally driven person.  But she hates the social/emotional learning thrust, because it undermines the actual course content.  She said the other day "we can spend our time lying to the kids about how smart they are or teaching them and actually making them that smart."  I told her I was stealing that.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.61  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.54    2 years ago

Figure it out. (Already.)

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.62  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.55    2 years ago

How would a sold-out Trump conservative know about the needs of liberal children? Tend to your own conservative 'babes' who are probably looking more than listening. BTW, it's heterosexuals who birth homosexual and trans-youth persons anyway. Fun fact! Evidently, you are aware that these are children conservatives are setting their hearts again! But, now what will be your excuse for poor behavior towards your fellow taxpayers?

Question: If you could have it the 'conservative way, which would you prefer: Heterosexuals give birth or abort their homosexual or trans-youth offspring?

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.63  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.56    2 years ago

Now you're being distracting.  U.S. history didn't start with the constitution. . . or, do you conservatives intend to dispense with 'Thanksgiving' with its pilgrim history and the Wampanoag Native American in 1621? (Do the math. See the continuous ancestor timeline.)

BTW, you are as American as anybody from the American continents.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.64  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @1.1.63    2 years ago

U.S. history didn't start with the constitution.

Ok, if our history didn’t start with our national political construct, but our geography, then US history starts about 33,000 years ago with Homo sapien habitation here.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.65  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @1.1.62    2 years ago
How would a sold-out Trump conservative know about the needs of liberal children?

You should find one and ask.  There are several here on NT.  Meanwhile this tepid Biden moderate spent 30 years working with kids and understands completely that branding a young child as "transgender" is utterly asinine and horrifically damaging to the child.

But don't let the welfare of kids get in the way of your self-righteous political dogma.

Tend to your own conservative 'babes' who are probably looking more than listening. BTW, it's heterosexuals who birth homosexual and trans-youth persons anyway.Fun fact! Evidently, you are aware that these are children conservatives are setting their hearts again! But, now what will be your excuse for poor behavior towards your fellow taxpayers?

Do you even try to make sense? 

Question: If you could have it the 'conservative way, which would you prefer: Heterosexuals give birth or abort their homosexual or trans-youth offspring?

I never want to see a pregnancy end early.  No sane person does. 

I don't have a problem with gay people or transgendered people.  I have a problem with parents who abuse their kids because of their own mental illness.  

A 3 yr old or an 8 yr old is not capable of deciding their gender.  They lack the organic brain development and experiential reference to process the ramifications of that choice.  A parent who tells you their young child is trans has made that decision on the child's behalf and is locking that child into a life and identity that child may or may not have wanted.  If your crazy-ass lefty mom decides you're really a girl when you're 5 years old and then raises you as "the trans kid", telling you and everybody else you're not really a boy, that becomes your reality whether you wanted it or not.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.66  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @1.1.63    2 years ago
Now you're being distracting.  U.S. history didn't start with the constitution

You're correct. Well done.  It started with the Declaration of Independence.

Everything before that is British Colonial history.  Because....you see... prior to the Declaration of Independence, they were British colonies.

. . . or, do you conservatives intend to dispense with 'Thanksgiving' with its pilgrim history and the Wampanoag Native American in 1621? (Do the math. See the continuous ancestor timeline.)

I'm not sure how you imagine these two ideas are dependent, but we all do love your very vivid imagination.  The traditional Thanksgiving tale is one of many leading up to the formation of the US.  So is the story of Blackbeard.  So is the story of Ponce de Leon and the fountain of youth.  So is the story of the Salem witch trials.  The French & Indian War.  We can go on for a very long time.

BTW, you are as American as anybody from the American continents.

Yes.  As are you.  What's your point?

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.67  JBB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.66    2 years ago

I have taken about a dozen American History courses and not one of them started in 1776.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.68  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.64    2 years ago

Some people just cannot stand or comprehend that United States history and the Declaration of Independence in 1774 coincide with each other, and if they want to go back before that they need to talk to the British simply because the US just did not exist prior to 1774. The dining of the U S Constitution in 1787 was the icing on the cake. That's why the 1619 Project is such a farce because it is based on faulty or false premises.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.69  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @1.1.67    2 years ago

When did they start US History?

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.70  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.64    2 years ago

[D]o you conservatives intend to dispense with 'Thanksgiving' with its pilgrim history and the Wampanoag Native American in 1621? (Do the math. See the continuous ancestor timeline.)

What do you do with these predecessors and this annual 'occasion'? Please take time to to explain it to me. Remember: Native Americans know when 'whites' landed here and have been counting the days ever since! BTW, I don't mean to be literal or overly-descriptive, but some here pretend not to 'get" anything without long-winded descriptions and explanations!

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.71  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.57    2 years ago

Does our history on the North American continent began in 1970, Jack_TX or just the new conservative (delusion) narrative? BTW, has 1970 replaced the 'old' sell of 1776 as when the United States begin (actually colonists were here long before). I am pretty sure you ancestors will miss the 'worship' that you are removing from them in your efforts to forget the past! But, new conservatives can't be shamed anymore, eh?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.72  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @1.1.71    2 years ago

When do you see the start of North American history?  Is that different than the start of US history?  If so, when do you start US history?

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.73  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.69    2 years ago

JBB! Check out the shameless new 'goalpost' for "America's founding." See what Drinker of the Rye did there!

Our conservatives don't wish to continue their "ancestor worship" for the original landing and first colonists. As if 1776 was not a continuation of the "colonists" here prior and the historic problems which existed to boot!  (Though they were all too happy to accept the profits of owning chattel slaves in the United States, too.)

These people will tell you don't believe facts. Come. See the new alternative redefined 1776 "Conservative style."

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.74  JBB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.69    2 years ago

Begin by familiarizing yourself with Pangaea.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.75  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @1.1.74    2 years ago

I have taken about a dozen American History courses and not one of them started in 1776.

So your dozen American History classes started with Pangaea?

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.76  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.57    2 years ago
BTW, do any of your examples happen after 1970?

You can't hide conservative shame in the last fifty years, because conservatives were miserable toward their fellow citizens then too as to this very day! You can't take credit for what liberals and progressives have strove to make progressively better in our country, while setting back progress, stalling, frustrating, and obfuscating change non-stop!

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.77  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @1.1.73    2 years ago

See what Drinker of the Rye Wry) did there!

What I did there was to ask you some simple questions: “When do you see the start of North American history?  Is that different than the start of US history?  If so, when do you start US history?”

Why haven’t you answered them?  If you disagree that US history began with the Declaration of Independence, when do you think it began and why?  Why is an arbitrary start point so important to you?

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.78  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.59    2 years ago

And you still have not addressed the question of why conservatives find it essential to meddle in liberal liberties and freedoms so much!

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.79  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.65    2 years ago
I don't have a problem with gay people or transgendered people.  I have a problem with parents who abuse their kids because of their own mental illness.  

Now I have to ask do you even try to make sense?  Just read that bs again until it makes sense or you see its failing.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.80  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @1.1.73    2 years ago

Our conservatives don't wish to continue their "ancestor worship" for the original landing and first colonists.

Did I previously commit “ancestor worship”?  

As if 1776 was not a continuation of the "colonists" here prior and the historic problems which existed to boot! 

Of course 1776 is a continuation of the colonies, just with a different government. Isn’t all history a continuation, there isn’t a hard start or stop.  What is your point?

Though they were all too happy to accept the profits of owning chattel slaves in the United States, too.)

I don’t know when my ancestors arrived in North America.  I know of none that lived in the South.  Ohio and Indiana is the original known location of my ancestors.

These people will tell you don't believe facts. Come. See the new alternative redefined 1776 "Conservative style."

These people?  I haven’t known you to be shrill CB, perhaps you’re having the bad day that we all have from time to time.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.81  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.65    2 years ago
A parent who tells you their young child is trans has made that decision on the child's behalf and is locking that child into a life and identity that child may or may not have wanted.

You don't know what a three year old or an eight year old is capable of telling a professional or you would not try to pretend to be an expert to make such a ridiculous claim! Your presumption is the type of  parent under your "scrutiny" wants to damage her child's welfare present and future. Do you know how stupid that sounds?

Of course, you don't! Why? Because apparently you have not been faced with the issue, problem, dilemma, 'misery,' and clearly are not able to empathize (feelings?) while pretending to be a human 'robot.' Emphasis on "pretending."

@1.1.60 We are obviously [feeling] very proud of our daughter.  She starts her PhD in the fall.

'Karen songs'. We knew it was all bull shit! Pride is a feeling. And so your 'robotic' ideological bull crap falls to the 'dirt' at your feet. Evidently, you can display empathy ( when its one of your own) and life works in her (and your) favor.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.82  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.66    2 years ago
Everything before that is British Colonial history.  Because....you see... prior to the Declaration of Independence, they were British colonies.

British colonial history = early U.S. history. African (Atlantic) slave history = U.S. slave history in part.  What is not to understand here? Why do you have a mental block on this? Are you ashamed of this nation's British ancestry? I am not ashamed of my African ancestors in the Americas!

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.83  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @1.1.82    2 years ago

African slave history = U.S. slave history

African slave history in the Americas is much broader than North America.  On a timeline, African slave history in the Caribbean, Brazil and elsewhere predates the first slaves arriving in VA.

In addition to the British, the Portuguese, Spanish, French, Dutch and the Danes shipped African slaves to the new world.  I’m surprised that you didn’t know that.  

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.84  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.72    2 years ago

I don't know Drinker', why do you need to separate yourself from the Boston Tea Party in 1773? Paul Revere, was he an "American" patriot in 1775? 

Just how lame does this line of ill-conceived questioning need to be?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.85  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @1.1.84    2 years ago

I haven’t separated myself “from the Boston Tea Party in 1773 or Paul Revere.

Why do you claim that I did?

Just how lame does this line of ill-conceived questioning need to be?

You’ve got me as you haven’t answered any of my simple questions.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.86  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.80    2 years ago

Was Massachusetts 'Boston's own' born Benjamin Franklin a British citizen?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.87  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.83    2 years ago

Bingo! My ancestors on my mother's side were Chiricahua Apache who were here to meet the first Spanish Conquistadors in the American Southwest. The Spaniards considered then uncivilized savages and immediately tried to subjugate and force Christianity on them. Did not work too well and the Apaches and other native tribes fought the Spanish for over a century before the founding of the 13 Colonies. The Spaniards enslaved many Native Americans. Not something normally taught in elementary and high school US history classes. Just another point of view that some posters here may not be interested in hearing or even be aware of.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.88  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.85    2 years ago

You have not answered my questions and my are relevant to the record-keeping of this country.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.89  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.83    2 years ago
Original comment:
African (Atlantic) slave history = U.S. slave history in part.  What is not to understand here? Why do you have a mental block on this? Are you ashamed of this nation's British ancestry? I am not ashamed of my African ancestors in the Americas!

Don't "misinformation" my comment and waste time throwing up 'distractions,' Drinker'! The Americas'  was in my comment. Furthermore, we were not doing a 'world slave' study. We are only interested in the colonies and this country's chattel class.

And I didn't use to figure you for someone who could not stick to the 'basics' of context and understanding.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.90  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @1.1.89    2 years ago

Don't "misinformation" my comment and waste time throwing up 'distractions,' Drinker'!

Misinformation?  About me you’ve written,

Check out the shameless new 'goalpost' for "America's founding." See what Drinker of the Rye did there!”

“Our conservatives don't wish to continue their "ancestor worship" for the original landing and first colonists.”

“Though they were all too happy to accept the profits of owning chattel slaves in the United States, too.”

“These people will tell you don't believe facts.”

“I don't know Drinker', why do you need to separate yourself from the Boston Tea Party in 1773? Paul Revere, was he an "American" patriot in 1775?”

None of these comments are remotely connected to anything that I’ve written on this thread or previously.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.91  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @1.1.86    2 years ago

The American colonists considered themselves to be British citizens with the same rights, King George considered them to be British tenants with limited rights.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.92  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @1.1.88    2 years ago

You have not answered my questions and my are relevant to the record-keeping of this country.

I have responded to all of your questions, you still haven’t answered mine;

When do you see the start of North American history?  

Is that different than the start of US history?

If so, when do you start US history?

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.93  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.90    2 years ago

I am not keeping a list. If the shoe fits answer. If not - do with it as you see fit! It's all the same to me.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.94  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.91    2 years ago
Was Massachusetts 'Boston's own' born Benjamin Franklin a British citizen?

Benjamin Franklin was born a British citizen. That's a yes from you, Drinker'?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.95  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.90    2 years ago

Just SOP. Talk about a WHOLE bunch of unrelated topics, bring up stuff NO ONE is talking about, demand answers while NEVER answering......and the beat goes on and on  and on and on and on and on...........never changing.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.97  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.92    2 years ago

When the pilgrim fathers landed and formed a colony at Plymouth, Massachusetts, our "North American history" began.

U.S. history is a continuation of the North American history as it is a continual (non-broken) timeline with the same fathers and other 'actors' standing on the shoulders of their predecessors on the timeline. Metaphorically-speaking.

U.S. history begins after the colonies broke away from England in a revolutionary war and separated from its ancestral home and wrote a constitution for itself and contracting to 'execute' it.  The "American" founders, formerly English men and women nationals born on a foreign shore, formed a new nation but, unfortunately chose to not give back their English 'holdings' or do away with chattel slavery. Instead they claimed all or nearly all of the colonies possessions as war spoil.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.98  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @1.1.94    2 years ago

Yes, did you miss my reply?  What is your point?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.99  Texan1211  replied to  CB @1.1.94    2 years ago
Benjamin Franklin was born a British citizen.

Yes, without any doubt at all.

Seems like a weird question to ask, I figured most people knew that by now.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.100  Texan1211  replied to  CB @1.1.97    2 years ago
U.S. history began after the colonies broke away from England in a revolutionary war and separated from its ancestral home.

Is anyone anywhere arguing differently?

Seems like you have been told US history started AFTER the colonies broke away in the Revolution.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.101  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @1.1.97    2 years ago

U.S. historyis a continuation of the North American history as it is a continual (non-broken) timeline with the same fathers and other 'actors' standing on the shoulders of their predecessors on the timeline.

Ok, that’s a valid start point, and North American history is a continuation of primarily European history among others.

Great, we can both feel better and end this pointless, inane conversation.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.102  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.101    2 years ago

Do stop slowing down the pace of discussion with rhetorical bs. The United States has kindred ancestral ties with its English founding fathers. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.103  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.101    2 years ago

jrSmiley_115_smiley_image.png

jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.104  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @1.1.93    2 years ago

I’m not keeping one either, NT keeps it.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.105  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @1.1.102    2 years ago

I have no idea what you are talking about now any more than the original point of this discussion.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.106  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.105    2 years ago

And you said that to say what?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.107  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @1.1.102    2 years ago

The United States has kindred ancestral ties with its English founding fathers. 

You’ve mastered the obvious.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.108  Texan1211  replied to  CB @1.1.106    2 years ago
And you said that to say what?

Looks like he meant THIS:

I have no idea what you are talking about now any more than the original point of this discussion.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.109  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @1.1.106    2 years ago

I said that to say that I don’t know what you mean when you wrote: 

Do stop slowing down the pace of discussion with rhetorical bs”

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.110  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.109    2 years ago
_v=63f541635279134 1.1.101   Drinker of the Wry   replied to  CB @ 1.1.97     43 minutes ago

U.S. history is a continuation of the North American history as it is a continual (non-broken) timeline with the same fathers and other 'actors' standing on the shoulders of their predecessors on the timeline.

Ok, that’s a valid start point, and North American history is a continuation of primarily European history among others.

Great, we can both feel better and end this pointless, inane conversation. 

Drinker,' the point can not be valid and inane at the same time in this context. That's contrary rhetoric bull .

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.111  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @1.1.70    2 years ago
What do you do with these predecessors and this annual 'occasion'?

The same thing people do with Christmas, Easter and St. Patrick's Day.  Realize that it happened before the US was a country and involved people who weren't Americans.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.112  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @1.1.71    2 years ago
Does our history on the North American continent began in 1970,

No, but so far all your examples of evil conservative persecution stop before then.

You still can't seem to answer the question... who is stopping you from doing whatever you want to do?  I said nobody, and you claimed that was a lie.  So who is it?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.113  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @1.1.76    2 years ago
You can't hide conservative shame in the last fifty years, because conservatives were miserable toward their fellow citizens then too as to this very day!

So you continue to claim.  Yet you still can't tell us who is keeping you from doing whatever it is you want to do.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.114  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @1.1.78    2 years ago
And you still have not addressed the question of why conservatives find it essential to meddle in liberal liberties and freedoms so much!

Largely because you can't tell me what freedom you're being denied.  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.115  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @1.1.81    2 years ago
You don't know what a three year old or an eight year old is capable of

A graduate degree and 30 years experience working with kids says I have a pretty good handle on it.

I won't ask you about your credentials.

Pride is a feeling. 

Please do remember that I specifically said we do have emotions, but that nobody cares and they don't belong in math classes.

But I guess you could tell us all how you 'feel' about the quadratic formula.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.116  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @1.1.82    2 years ago
British colonial history = early U.S. history.

I suspect the Australians may be very disappointed to hear that.  And the Indians.  And the Chinese.  And the Tanzanians, Burmese, Afghans, Canadians, Irish, Cypriots and Nigerians, to name just a few. 

Places like Virginia and South Carolina were colonies, just like India, until they declared their independence....in 1776, when they became states, and the history of the United States begins.

African (Atlantic) slave history = U.S. slave history in part.  What is not to understand here? Why do you have a mental block on this?

Slavery is part of American history from 1776-1865, and is part of British colonial history prior to that.  That doesn't mean claims that US history starts in 1619 are not utterly idiotic.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.117  JohnRussell  replied to  CB @1.1.97    2 years ago

George Washington's great grandfather, John Washington was a prominent and influential plantation owner in Virginia that used slave labor to work his fields. How one can ignore the immediate ancestry of the first US president etc and claim that nothing matters until 1776 is bizarre. Of course there is a continuum of people and events that  make up "America" that predate the Declaration of Independence. 

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.118  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.111    2 years ago

Well, since you insist on being that technical about it; the land was already here and occupied by natives and they were the aforementioned: "Americans." To wit. Native Americans. There is no way to separate (disown, run from) the English colonies past from the founding fathers and the early colonial states!  And, it is sad to see this sorry attempt at doing so by the conservative-Right! The conservative movement can not revise this nation's (tragic) history into something it was not.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.119  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @1.1.110    2 years ago
Drinker,' the point can not be valid and inane at the same time in this context. That's contrary rhetoric bull .

Start point, start point is valid, not the pointless, inane discussion. 

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.120  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.112    2 years ago

Your question is rhetorical nonsense. Your question could be inverted to inquire under liberal policies: "Who is stopping you from doing whatever you want to do?"

The conservative movement is "dead" set on reversing national and state liberal policies (freedom and diversity of ideas and thoughts) and placing conservative policies (under-regulation of government and over-regulated private morality) in their stead.

You can't hide behind rhetorical 'flourishes' of cliches. It simply falls flat!

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.121  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.113    2 years ago

Conservatives do their best at attempting to suppress the progress of this nation with spurts and starts and unfortunately some successes-especially recent court advances or regressions depending on one's perspective. For further explanation see @1.1.120.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.122  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @1.1.118    2 years ago
There is no way to separate (disown, run from) the English colonies past from the founding fathers and the early colonial states! 

I haven't down that.

And, it is sad to see this sorry attempt at doing so by the conservative-Right! 

I'm sorry that you're sad, but I speak for myself and would prefer you not attempt to label me.  

The conservative movement can not revise this nation's (tragic) history into something it was not.

I'm not part of a movement and our nation's history is like most nation's history, a combination of the tragic, grand and mediocre events.  

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.123  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.114    2 years ago

Rhetorical nonsense. For further explanation see @ 1.1.120 .

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.124  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.117    2 years ago
How one can ignore the immediate ancestry of the first US president etc and claim that nothing matters until 1776 is bizarre.

Who has done that?

Of course there is a continuum of people and events that  make up "America" that predate the Declaration of Independence. 

That is beyond dispute, what is your point?

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.125  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.115    2 years ago
_v=63f541501163220 1.1.4   Jack_TX   replied to  SteevieGee @ 1.1.1     3 days ago

Seriously?

There are no French lessons in the math textbooks.  Does that mean they're banning French?  

In today's environment, math class is one of the few places a student can go and not have to talk about everybody's feelings or whatever political foolishness is on the news that day.  It's a safe haven from nonsense, and people need to take their social/emotional bullshit somewhere else.

You wrote this @ 1.1.4 . Anybody reading that can 'capture' your drift!

And teaching professionals (for whichever set of reasons) have taken to discussing whatever 'deliverables' they feel appropriate to their classes. To which, you chime in as if you know what the "h" you are talking about! It's conservative meddling in the classroom of "today" that is being challenged here!

I don't know what your credentials are and unless you plan to reveal yourself satisfactorily online on an anonymous comment site we only have your word to go on. And why should we do that?

As a result being rude, and indifferent to what the teaching professionals are telling communities and this nation about what real world scenarios and teaching practices is just more of conservative loud and obnoxious chatter !

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.126  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.116    2 years ago

I won't digress with you on this.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.127  CB  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.117    2 years ago

Today's combative conservatives are shameless, delusional, and 'shipwrecked' (ran aground) by a deniable of their historical record. Apparently, they take no pride in it any longer. Perhaps they feel the past record has outlived its usefulness? Or is it a hindrance to this political expediency they hope to engage in in the present?

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.128  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.119    2 years ago

jrSmiley_123_smiley_image.gif It's waay to early on the West Coast for this one.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.129  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @1.1.128    2 years ago

Good deal.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.130  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.122    2 years ago
_v=63f541630448429
1.1.118   CB   replied to  Jack_TX @ 1.1.111

Well, since you insist on being that technical about it; the land was already here and occupied by natives and they were the aforementioned: " Americans ." To wit. Native Americans. There is no way to separate (disown, run from) the English colonies past from the founding fathers and the early colonial states!  And, it is sad to see this sorry attempt at doing so by the conservative-Right! The conservative movement can not revise this nation's (tragic) history into something it was not.

Drinker', What? Where is Jack_TX? And as a courtesy to the rest of us when you quote can you use the "edit" feature: "Blockquote" on the upper far left of the "paragraph" tool?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.131  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @1.1.127    2 years ago
'shipwrecked' (ran aground) by a deniable of their historical record.

Huh?

Or is it a hindrance to this political expediency they hope to engage in in the present?

Does that statement have anymore meaning than your previous one?

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.132  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.131    2 years ago

Yeah. That happened. jrSmiley_30_smiley_image.gif   [ Whew! Caught up. Can catch another thirty winks before sunrise proper! Bye!]

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.133  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @1.1.130    2 years ago
Drinker', What? Where is Jack_TX?

Surprisingly, folks here don't tell where or when they are going somewhere.  Thanks for the Blockquote tip.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.134  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @1.1.118    2 years ago
Well, since you insist on being that technical about it; the land was already here and occupied by natives and they were the aforementioned: "Americans."

Riiiiight.

Because that's how they identified themselves.  They would never have said they were Iroquois or Calusa or Cherokee or Seminole.  They would have told you they were "Americans", and part of a country that didn't exist.  That's exactly how that would have happened.

There is no way to separate (disown, run from) the English colonies past from the founding fathers and the early colonial states!

Do cite where I have said any such thing. Read carefully for a change.

All I've said is that US history does not start in 1619.  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.135  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @1.1.120    2 years ago
Your question is rhetorical nonsense.

The irony of that coming from you is hysterically funny.

Your question could be inverted to inquire under liberal policies: "Who is stopping you from doing whatever you want to do?"

Yes.  Now we're getting somewhere.

Please cite where I have claimed that I am oppressed or repressed or anyone is stopping me from doing whatever I want to do.  You, on the other hand, make the claim repeatedly but can never ever give a single example of it happening.

The conservative movement is "dead" set on reversing national and state liberal policies

And the liberal movement is dead set on reversing conservative policies.  That's how politics works.  Are you just now realizing this?

(freedom and diversity of ideas and thoughts)

You are welcome to any thoughts you can manage.  And other people are allowed to tell you if we think they're idiotic.

US history starting in 1619 is an idiotic idea.  So is the idea that a 3 yr old is transgender.  People imagining that opposition to those lunatic ideas somehow constitutes racism or transphobia is even more moronic.

Circling back to the beginning of this interchange (which you didn't read carefully), a major challenge for Democrats right now is the unwillingness of mainstream Democrats to tell the looney left that several of their ideas are utterly moronic and are contributing to an impending landslide reversal in congress.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.136  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @1.1.125    2 years ago
Anybody reading that can 'capture' your drift!

Ah.  So we're back to pretending I didn't mean exactly what I said.  I realize you say all sorts of crazy shit and expect people to know what you mean, but you've failed to notice that nobody else really does that.  Before you try to read between the lines, you might want to just read the lines themselves.

And teaching professionals (for whichever set of reasons) have taken to discussing whatever 'deliverables' they feel appropriate to their classes. To which, you chime in as if you know what the "h" you are talking about! It's conservative meddling in the classroom of "today" that is being challenged here!

CB....buddy....we're talking about textbooks and the textbook approval process.  What are you talking about?  

I don't know what your credentials are and unless you plan to reveal yourself satisfactorily online on an anonymous comment site we only have your word to go on. And why should we do that?

I'm sure if I posted my driver's license you would think it meant something else and try to claim you "captured the drift".

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.137  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @1.1.126    2 years ago
I won't digress with you on this.

Yes.  Of course.  Whatever we do we musn't cloud the issue with facts.  It's unfair to those who were "socially and emotionally" educated and don't know any actual facts.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.138  JohnRussell  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.124    2 years ago

Maybe you havent seen them , but there have been numerous comments on this forum in recent months contending that nothing that happened before 1776 reflects on "America" because , for example, Virginia slaveholders prior to 1776 were not "Americans". 

George Washington's great grandfather owned slaves in Virginia in the mid 1600's , a practice which undoubtedly influenced George Washington's own desire to own slaves (both before and after 1776 by the way). 

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
1.1.139  afrayedknot  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.138    2 years ago

“…there have been numerous comments on this forum in recent months contending that nothing that happened before 1776 reflects on "America"…”

What an odd argument to make.

Everything that occurred on this soil prior to 1776 informs and gives context to what happened next. So of course it is part of our history. Arbitrarily assigning a specific date is a rather ludicrous exercise, historically…or perhaps hysterically speaking. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.140  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.138    2 years ago
George Washington's gr

You believe George Washington's great grandfather was an American?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.141  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.138    2 years ago
but there have been numerous comments on this forum in recent months contending that nothing that happened before 1776 reflects on "America" because , for example, Virginia slaveholders prior to 1776 were not "Americans". 

Seems like semantic soup on both sides. I guess I don't know the point that they are trying to make or the point that you are trying to make.

George Washington's great grandfather owned slaves in Virginia in the mid 1600's , a practice which undoubtedly influenced George Washington's own desire to own slaves (both before and after 1776 by the way). 

I'm guessing the want of more money influenced George Washington's own desire to own slaves.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.142  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  afrayedknot @1.1.139    2 years ago
What an odd argument to make.

Exactly, like you, I haven't seen that argument made.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.143  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.140    2 years ago

Was George Washington an "American" on July 3rd 1776?   Or was he a totally different man? 

By 1776 Washington's family tree had owned slaves in Virginia for approximately 120 years. Is it your contention that fact is completely immaterial to George Washington's history and thus American history? 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.144  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.143    2 years ago

So was George Washington's great grandfather an American or not? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.145  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.144    2 years ago

Depending on the context, he was both an American and an Englishman. 

Your argument rests entirely on the assertion that prior to July 4 1776 "America" did not exist.  Were that true in a practical sense there would have been no predicate for the Declaration of Independence. Otherwise one would have to believe that there was no foundation for independence, but rather just some miraculous event that took place on one day. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.146  Dulay  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.11    2 years ago

What other classes are emotions prohibited Jack? 

Because it sure as hell looks like the RW is demanding that it's paramount to acknowledge the possibility of emotions in history and social studies classes. Of course, the emotion they most want to guard against is perceived guilt...

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.147  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.143    2 years ago

Is it your contention that fact is completely immaterial to George Washington's history and thus American history? 

It's my contention that US history represents a part of the continuum of history.  Our history has certainly been influenced by the Europeans and Africans that arrived here and the Native Americans that were already here before North America became the United States.  Those Europeans were certainly influenced by European, African and Asian history.  Their history was influenced by the migrations out of the Mid East and Africa before. 

Of course, human history was influenced by the mammalian development along with climatic, geological and other animal history.  Their history was influenced by the planets history which of coursed was influenced by the history of the solar system and the galaxy.  Our galaxy wouldn't be the same without the history of the universe and the laws of physics.  

It is my contention that we are part of the big history, the understanding of, requires a multi-discipline approach starting from the big bang and marching through to modernity.  Start and stop points are just a convenience to bin it in more digestible pieces or a cataloguing construct.  

I feel better now JR, I hope you do too.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.148  JohnRussell  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.147    2 years ago

People and families that held slaves prior to July 4 1776 did not magically reconstitute their being, and influence on the land , on that date, did they? 

There are people here who argue that American history does not exist prior to independence.  I am just pointing out the illogicality of that argument. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1.149  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.148    2 years ago
There are people here who argue that American history does not exist prior to independence

American history does exist prior to 7-4-76 because we (they) lived in North America. United States history does not. Period.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.150  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.145    2 years ago

entirely on the assertion that prior to July 4 1776 "America" did not exist.  

I have no idea what point you are trying to make.  Either you are trying to argue that the American nation somehow predates it's founding, which is nonsensical, or something something so obvious it doesn't even need saying, namely that prior events  affect future events. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.151  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.150    2 years ago

Maybe he just wanted something to talk about.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.152  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.148    2 years ago
People and families that held slaves prior to July 4 1776 did not magically reconstitute their being, and influence on the land , on that date, did they? 

I only see magic as entertainment.

There are people here who argue that American history does not exist prior to independence.  I am just pointing out the illogicality of that argument. 

I haven’t seen that argument.  Do you see all history as a single continuum?  Was American history influenced by prior history in Europe and elsewhere?  

I’m still trying to understand the significance or point that you are trying to make.  Does the fact that we, like most locations in the Americas, had slaves before and after 1776 change anything or alter our understanding of history?  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.153  JohnRussell  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.152    2 years ago

We have discussed this issue before on Newstalkers. I cant help it if you missed those threads.  Some people object to the implications of the 1619 Project based on the argument that events prior to the Declaration of independence are not part of American history.  Personally, I find that objection silly. 

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
1.1.154  afrayedknot  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.149    2 years ago

“United States history…”

Agreed. Let that be the end of yet another rather silly debate. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.155  Sparty On  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.152    2 years ago

Follow the money .... who has the deepest pockets .....

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1.156  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  afrayedknot @1.1.154    2 years ago

jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

That was the idea behind posting it. Hope some others pick up on it. Thanks.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.157  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.144    2 years ago

That would be a no. He was a British colonist in the Americas, plain and simple.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.158  Ender  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.156    2 years ago

To History...And Beyond....

( Said in Buzz Lightyear voice)

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.159  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.153    2 years ago
We have discussed this issue before on Newstalkers. I cant help it if you missed those threads.

Do you desire restarting that discussion?

Some people object to the implications of the 1619 Project based on the argument that events prior to the Declaration of independence are not part of American history.

1619 is the wrong date and much later in the history of the Atlantic slave trade. The Spanish brought the first African slaves to the Americas from Europe as early as 1503, and by 1518 the first slaves were shipped directly from Africa to America. 

Personally, I find that objection silly. 

Personally, I find the date 1619 silly by anyone interested in the beginning of the slave trade to the Americas.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.160  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ender @1.1.158    2 years ago

[deleted]

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.161  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.134    2 years ago

Argument for argument sake is a great waste of digital energy! Conservatives do labor long and hard to obfuscate and dilute conversations. Just stick to the truth and it will benefit all of NT. I am pretty sure NT visitors and members would appreciate us getting along—from both opposing sides.

After all, and though you didn't bother to ask, I don't need an invite to state this: State and federal congresses were intended in spirit to be 'zones of positive activity' designed for the benefit of all the citizens of this country. It is sickening and repulsive (to me anyway) that our congresspeople, on both sides, go to Washington training on political disruption, gamesmanship, and 'owning the other'!

When I see the same lack of sincerity, on both sides, happening on a comment board, the spill-over is exasperating and a gross waste of our 'local' time spent here as in the paid and professional halls of congress!

I repeat, you didn't ask for that, but take it and internalize it anyway.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.162  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.135    2 years ago
And the liberal movement is dead set on reversing conservative policies.  That's how politics works.  Are you just now realizing this?

See @1.1.161. That's all. Political gamesmanship is a painful waste of our tlme here, Jack! Just as it is a waste of the nation's and world's time in Washington, D.C. BTW, correct me if I am wrong: Is it conservatives who complain about the "swampiness" of Washington, D.C.?  Yes, I am pretty sure it is the conservatives.

So why would you state political "swampiness" as the status quo on NT?

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.163  CB  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.136    2 years ago

Test the theory, if you want. Post your identifying information. But don't blame me for it. It will be all you doing so. Your hands, computer, and brain-power acting to expose yourself. Have I made myself clear? Your bravado fails.

Now to something about K-8 years old:

Florida’s H.B. 1557 suffers from each of the classic flaws of a speech code. On its face, it’s aimed at speech and ideas regarding “sexual orientation and gender identity.” Key terms such as instruction and age appropriate are left undefined, which leaves teachers uncertain about the law’s scope. And it explicitly grants a parent the right to sue a school district if his or her “concern” is “not resolved by the school district.”

To consider the potential breadth of the law, imagine that a young student asks a teacher why his or her classmate has two mothers or two fathers. If the teacher responds with a factual, value-neutral response, is he opening his school district to litigation? After all, answering classroom questions, even when not directly related to the curriculum, fits within the plain meaning of the term classroom instruction .

Interesting and insightful Atlantic opinion piece. I suggest everybody read the whole article.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.164  TᵢG  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.160    2 years ago
... but others say you can't get something from nothing so there was something before the Big Bang.  

Science does not posit that the Big Bang is the creation of something from nothing but rather from a net zero energy state.   Those who think 'something from literal nothing' are confused.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.165  Jack_TX  replied to  Dulay @1.1.146    2 years ago
What other classes are emotions prohibited Jack? 

Physics, chemistry, statistics, trigonometry and computer science, to name a few.  

Because it sure as hell looks like the RW is demanding that it's paramount to acknowledge the possibility of emotions in history and social studies classes. Of course, the emotion they most want to guard against is perceived guilt...

You'll notice I've made no mention of history textbooks.  Largely because a) I only ever taught one section of history (on an emergency basis) and b) I don't care.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.166  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.164    2 years ago

Science does not posit that the Big Bang is the creation of something from nothing but rather from a net zero energy state.

What does science posit as the driving force for the Big Bang in the net zero energy state?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.167  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @1.1.162    2 years ago
Political gamesmanship is a painful waste of our tlme here, Jack!

The most egregious waste of our time here CB is you casting your special spin onto other people's comments and refusing to simply accept that people mean what they say and no more.

Just as it is a waste of the nation's and world's time in Washington, D.C. BTW, correct me if I am wrong: Is it conservatives who complain about the "swampiness" of Washington, D.C.?  Yes, I am pretty sure it is the conservatives.

I think everybody complains about Congress.

So why would you state political "swampiness" as the status quo on NT?

CB, you have a well-established pattern of reading or misreading something and assuming that somebody who said "A" must really mean "Q, R, S, and T", get outraged, invent shit in your mind, and attempt to defend the ridiculously indefensible.

So now it appears "swampiness" is the latest invention.  I'll let you handle that one.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.168  Texan1211  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.167    2 years ago
well-established pattern of reading or misreading something and assuming that somebody who said "A" must really mean "Q, R, S, and T", get outraged, invent shit in your mind, and attempt to defend the ridiculously indefensible.

Well said.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.169  CB  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.140    2 years ago

Was George Washington, the first president, British?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.170  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @1.1.169    2 years ago

Prior to July 4, 1776, yes.  Yes he was.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.171  Texan1211  replied to  CB @1.1.169    2 years ago

He was BORN a British subject. He BECAME an American when America became a country.

What is so hard to understand about this, and really, what difference does it make now?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.172  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.171    2 years ago
what difference does it make now?

It's obviously a very emotional issue for some.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.173  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.172    2 years ago
It's obviously a very emotional issue for some.

Apparently the emotions are winning and the conversation is going all over the place. 

Want to change the subject--ask a question and someone will be quick to jump to another topic.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.174  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.173    2 years ago
Want to change the subject--ask a question and someone will be quick to jump to another topic.

I've noticed that.  Many don't like to pin themselves down with a definitive answer.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.175  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.174    2 years ago
Many don't like to pin themselves down with a definitive answer.

A definitive, responsive answer is indeed rare for some.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.176  TᵢG  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.166    2 years ago

Quantum fluctuations which triggered a chain reaction followed by a massive expansion of space-time.   There are other hypotheses by the way but there is no posit of pure nothingness.   The 'nothingness' is always something.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.177  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.176    2 years ago
Quantum fluctuations

Certainly above my level of understanding, but I thought that a fluctuation was a change in the amount of energy at a point in time/space. Can you have that in a "net zero energy state"?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.178  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.176    2 years ago
The 'nothingness' is always something.

Thanks TiG, that is something that even I can understand.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.179  TᵢG  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.177    2 years ago
Can you have that in a "net zero energy state"?

Yes!   Net zero energy = "gravity (negative energy) = matter (positive energy)";    The gravity and matter are opposite energies canceling each other out.  

Quantum fluctuation is the destruction (mutual annihilation) of quantum particles (particle [+1] + antiparticle [-1] = 0) and the forming of particles and anti-particles.  When annihilation ceases to match forming, an inbalance could trigger a chain reaction and that chain reaction is one hypothesis for the Big Bang.

The point, by the way, is that under every hypothesis there is always something before the Big Bang.   The Big Bang is not the emergence of something from a literal nothing.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.180  CB  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.149    2 years ago

Stop the Bullshit. Early citizens of our country took for themselves the spoils of England in the Revolutionary War and continued on this country's 'merry' way.

English slavery, cultural expressions, proclamations, and celebrations as appropriate in tow.

Today even our SCOTUS routinely and recently cites English law see: Justice Scalia, D.C. vs Heller, 2006 opinion. Use citations: Commentaries on the Laws of England (1765-1769)  Sir William Blackstone.

Today's conservatives are full of delusional bullshit. Time to burst this mind-numbing, specious, self-absorbing rhetorical nonsense. Do so before it gets out of control and gets people killed!

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1.181  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  CB @1.1.180    2 years ago

You may stop your victim bullshit anytime. What you just responded to me is rubbish and had NOTHING to do with what I wrote at 1.1.149. Back on ignore you go. Play those cards with someone else.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.182  Jack_TX  replied to  CB @1.1.180    2 years ago
Stop the Bullshit.

You've invented shit in your mind again.

Early citizens of our country took for themselves the spoils of England in the Revolutionary War and continued on this country's 'merry' way.
English slavery, cultural expressions, proclamations, and celebrations as appropriate in tow.

Please indicate where anyone has said otherwise.

Today's conservatives are full of delusional bullshit.

I'm sure whatever lunacy you've invented in your mind that you think they believe is just that.

Time to burst this mind-numbing, specious, self-absorbing rhetorical nonsense. Do so before it gets out of control and gets people killed!

So....your assertion here... is that if we refuse to agree that the US was really founded in 1619, people will die?  Do you understand how utterly crazy that shit is?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.183  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @1.1.180    2 years ago
Stop the Bullshit.

What do you see as the bullshit.

Early citizens of our country took for themselves the spoils of England in the Revolutionary War and continued on this country's 'merry' way.

Some of the "spoils", of course the governmental construct changed significantly.  

Today even our SCOTUS routinely and recently cites English law see: Justice Scalia, D.C. vs Heller, 2006 opinion. Use citations: Commentaries on the Laws of England (1765-1769)  Sir William Blackstone.

Yes, the continuum of history and culture.  

Today's conservatives are full of delusional bullshit. Time to burst this mind-numbing, specious, self-absorbing rhetorical nonsense. Do so before it gets out of control and gets people killed!

I'm not sure what self-absorb rhetorical nonsense you are referring to.  

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.184  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.183    2 years ago

Cute, playing a game of conservative Tag  junto with me (involuntarily). Wait for it. I'm running right now. In the words of  WWE Road Warriors: Animal:  What a rush!!!

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.185  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @1.1.184    2 years ago
Cute, playing a game of conservative Tag  junto with me (involuntarily).

I'm sorry that JR got tired of trying to help you.

Wait for it. I'm running right now.

If you're running right now, there is nothing to wait for.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.186  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.160    2 years ago

Perrie, I don’t think that I have anyone on ignore.  Certainly not Ender.  All NT comments are important to me.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.187  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.181    2 years ago

Don't count in that happening, it's much easier than facing reality.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.188  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.181    2 years ago

Don't count in that happening, it's much easier than facing reality.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.189  Dulay  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.165    2 years ago
You'll notice I've made no mention of history textbooks.  Largely because a) I only ever taught one section of history (on an emergency basis) and b) I don't care.

Well hell, if not caring is the litmus test, they could have a wailing wall in all the classes that you cited for all I care. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1.1.190  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.134    2 years ago

"Because that's how they identified themselves.  They would never have said they were Iroquois or Calusa or Cherokee or Seminole.  They would have told you they were "Americans", and part of a country that didn't exist.  That's exactly how that would have happened."

Shouldn't you have put the "/S" tag there Jack?  Because that's how the tribes/nations would've identified themselves - Seneca, Oneida, Onondaga, Cherokee, Chickasaw, etc.  The "Seminole" weren't a tribe/nation until 1957 when the tribe/nation adopted their first constitution.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1.1.191  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.140    2 years ago

No 'cause he died in 1698 and was a British subject.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.2  SteevieGee  replied to  1stwarrior @1    2 years ago

If you have 22 friends who want to go the the cross burning and only 17 sheets to make uniforms, how many sheets to you need to buy for everybody to get to go?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.2.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  SteevieGee @1.2    2 years ago

You might have picked the wrong state Stevie, Delaware has a higher percentage per capita than Florida.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  SteevieGee @1.2    2 years ago

Should have stocked up at the Robert Byrd estate sale!

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.2.3  bugsy  replied to  SteevieGee @1.2    2 years ago

I think you are asking the wrong person. Sheets and cross burnings belong in the realm of democrats.

Ask them.

They know.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1.2.4  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  SteevieGee @1.2    2 years ago

I think four bottles of Mad Dog rum would take care of that problem - hell, they wouldn't even be able to get up OFF the floor to get their sheets fitted.

Think you need to quit referencing KKK stuff here Steevie - strikes some nerves.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.2.5  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  1stwarrior @1.2.4    2 years ago

My late son was particularly fond of a rum brand called Sailor Jerry's. Said it was much better than Mad Dog.jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.2.6  Sparty On  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.2.5    2 years ago
Sailor Jerry

Good stuff, it’s like high test Captain Morgan.

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.7  CB  replied to  bugsy @1.2.3    2 years ago

And yet the democrat candidate campaigned and got elected too with the first black-skinned president and vice-president. What station is held by the highest ranking black person in the republican party? Senator Tim Scott comes to mind, but that foolish man would not vote for a qualified black woman to sit on the SCOTUS!  I still have to find time to figure THAT ONE out!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.8  Texan1211  replied to  CB @1.2.7    2 years ago

do you question democratic no votes for kavanaugh and barrett?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.2.9  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.8    2 years ago

Better yet, Biden should be questioned for blocking the first black woman that was going to be nominated for SCOTUS.

While his fellow Dems whistled zippity doo dah day that time ......

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.10  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @1.2.9    2 years ago

Some just seem to think Democrats walk on water.

They employ a double standard that forces them to look the other way when one of their very own does the EXACT same thing they bitch incessantly about.

Their favorite response is to play the race card when logic fails them.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.2.11  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.10    2 years ago

Yep, the progressive mania is off the hook with some of them.

Gotta get their shots in while they can though.    It’s gonna be a rough summer and fall for them.

Real rough ....

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.12  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @1.2.11    2 years ago
Yep, the progressive mania is off the hook with some of them.

Fortunately, despite the histrionics from those always playing the race card, enough Americans have had it with that silly tactic.

Gotta get their shots in while they can though.    It’s gonna be a rough summer and fall for them. Real rough ....

And that is a good sign for America and Americans.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  1stwarrior @1    2 years ago

I don't see the relevance either.  Could the cover picture show children of different races together, God forbid?

Ender
Professor Principal
2  Ender    2 years ago

I notice they show zero examples of these supposed violations they found.

Hallux
Masters Principal
2.1  Hallux  replied to  Ender @2    2 years ago

To be expected from a 'newspaper' that has a feature article on Honey-Boo-Boo.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Ender  replied to  Hallux @2.1    2 years ago

It amazes me. Some people just believe whatever they tell them.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.2  Jack_TX  replied to  Ender @2    2 years ago
I notice they show zero examples of these supposed violations they found.

Well, we are talking about textbooks where the material is copyrighted but not yet published.  So I'm guessing any public release of said material is highly problematic from a legal standpoint.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Ender  replied to  Jack_TX @2.2    2 years ago

How so? From a parents right stand point, which the right loves to claim, the parents cannot see beforehand what textbooks their kids will be using.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.2.2  Jack_TX  replied to  Ender @2.2.1    2 years ago
How so? From a parents right stand point, which the right loves to claim, the parents cannot see beforehand what textbooks their kids will be using.

Once they're published, sure.  Until then, no.

Like all highly competitive businesses, there will be NDAs in place. 

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2.3  Ender  replied to  Jack_TX @2.2.2    2 years ago

Eh, I still don't buy the Florida bullshit laws. 

What defines CRT exactly?

Who defines unsolicited strategies?

I have yet to see anything other than them pushing their agenda under the broadest of terms.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.2.4  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Jack_TX @2.2    2 years ago
I'm guessing any public release of said material is highly problematic from a legal standpoint

So they want us to believe CRT is found in 70% of the textbooks but claim they are unable to provide even a single example of what constitutes a violation. For all we know they are rejecting these books because they all contain the word "black" somewhere in there.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
2.2.5  afrayedknot  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.2.4    2 years ago

“…what constitutes a violation…”

…so let us create a conundrum, legislate against a non-issue, back candidates that run on nothing less, and condemn anyone who dare question the veracity. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.6  Texan1211  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.2.4    2 years ago
For all we know they are rejecting these books because they all contain the word "black" somewhere in there.

For all you know.

Don't you think that is just a touch absurd?

Oh, and why would black be in a math textbook anyway?

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
2.2.7  afrayedknot  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.6    2 years ago

“Oh, and why would black be in a math textbook anyway?”

Oh, and just how would  ‘CRT’ be in a math textbook anyway? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.8  Texan1211  replied to  afrayedknot @2.2.7    2 years ago

4y9tpp.jpg

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.9  Texan1211  replied to  afrayedknot @2.2.7    2 years ago

vfr2eyyuxtn51.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=f319fe6b3a3c7889e686d6047bfabdd83907f096

Texan1211
Professor Principal

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
2.2.11  afrayedknot  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.10    2 years ago

[Deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.12  Texan1211  replied to  afrayedknot @2.2.7    2 years ago

4yw0xf.jpg

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
2.2.13  afrayedknot  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.12    2 years ago

[Deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.14  Texan1211  replied to  afrayedknot @2.2.13    2 years ago

[Deleted]

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.2.15  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.6    2 years ago
Oh, and why would black be in a math textbook anyway?

The diameter of the black circle is 0.750 inch and the diameter of the yellow circle is 0.955 inch.

You put the black circle on top and exactly in the middle of the yellow circle. Since the black circle is smaller, it will not cover completely the yellow circle.

What is the area of the portion that is not covered? Will the area change if the black circle is not centered?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.16  Texan1211  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.2.15    2 years ago

jrSmiley_55_smiley_image.gif

Soooooooooooooooooooo weak.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.2.17  Jack_TX  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.2.4    2 years ago
So they want us to believe CRT is found in 70% of the textbooks

They've said no such thing.   CNn is simply carefully crafting headlines to confirm bias.

Textbooks are rejected for many reasons, including failing to include all state curriculum requirements or outdated pedagogical methods.  In this case some were rejected for emphasis on "social and emotional learning" or common core methodology. 

But that doesn't make very good clickbait.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Ender @2    2 years ago

[deleted]

Ender
Professor Principal
2.3.1  Ender  replied to  Greg Jones @2.3    2 years ago

Well, good evening to you too.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.4  Tacos!  replied to  Ender @2    2 years ago

Right? How does a “journalist” do a story like this with zero examples? I’m not saying it’s not true (I don’t have enough information). But the story is useless without examples. At minimum, they could say they asked for examples but were refused.

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.4.1  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @2.4    2 years ago

This article gives some hints on what the 'issue' seems to be:

South Florida schools face chaos as state bans math books with ‘prohibited topics’ (msn.com)

At Broward’s March 29 hearing to adopt math textbooks, no one from the public came out to speak, but one written comment that foreshadowed the state’s concerns about math textbooks. Chief of Staff Jeff Moquin only read a portion of the comments from Lighthouse Point resident Christine Speedy, saying “part of it could be considered insensitive.”

Her comment opposed the math textbooks from Savvas Learning Company, saying its material related to critical race theory, gender identity and social-emotional learning.

“Half of BCPS students are below grade level reading so schools must do a better job of rigorous math teaching without distractions, including tons of unnecessary text,” she wrote. “That means math problems, not lessons on inclusivity, geography, immigration, or worst of all, [social-emotional learning] embedded into the curriculum.”

Examples she cited in her letter, which were not read publicly, include a cartoon character “that is clearly gender-neutral;” a character waving a Honduran flag next to a math problem related to the population of Honduras; and a girl named “Yonita,” which she said is not common American name.

“None of this is needed to solve the math problem,” she said.

In her comments, Speedy cited a quote that said “to have a growth mindset, give yourself time to learn,” as an example of social-emotional learning being infused into math books.

One revelation from the above article is that in May of last year, the state released a list of authorized textbooks for districts to choose from. The books that the state just banned were ALL on that list. 

In short, between May 2021 and March 2022, those books suddenly became verboten...

This shit just gets weirder and weirder. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.4.2  Tacos!  replied to  Dulay @2.4.1    2 years ago
a cartoon character “that is clearly gender-neutral;”

I mean, what can you say to these people other than “grow the fuck up?” It’s a cartoon. Why would it even need a gender?

a character waving a Honduran flag

Yeah we wouldn’t want American children to have a single positive feeling about Honduras. It either doesn’t occur to them or they don’t care that there might be a Hispanic kid in class. I bet a Union Jack would be ok.

and a girl named “Yonita,” which she said is not common American name.

Not surprised. I expected this to be one of the complaints. People like this figure that if a word problem doesn’t involve Jack or Sally, it must be subversive.

“None of this is needed to solve the math problem,” she said.

Needed? Perhaps not. But any little thing that has the potential to get a kid a little more excited about doing schoolwork, is likely to have an improved impact on their performance.

So, I guess we can find ways to get kids excited about learning . . . Or we could just beat them more. Ah! The Good Old Days! When you could just smack a kid and that was “teaching.”

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.4.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Tacos! @2.4.2    2 years ago
what can you say to these people other than “grow the fuck up?

It's a single comment from a parent. Not really worth getting excited about.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.4.4  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Dulay @2.4.1    2 years ago

One revelation from the above article is that in May of last year, the state released a list of authorized textbooks for districts to choose from. The books that the state just banned were ALL on that list. 

In short, between May 2021 and March 2022, those books suddenly became verboten...

That is very revealing.  Unfortunately, this is typical of every aspect of today’s Republican politics.  Yesterday’s standard is today’s boogey man du jour.  They don’t even care how glaringly obvious it is either.  Their base is fully conditioned to Donald Trump styled arguments.

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.4.5  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @2.4.2    2 years ago

After seeing what they did read into the record, I'd like to read the part of Christine Speedy's letter that 'could be considered insensitive'. 

Ender
Professor Principal
2.4.6  Ender  replied to  Dulay @2.4.1    2 years ago
inclusivity, geography, immigration, or worst of all, [social-emotional learning]

What gets me is, what is so wrong about learning those things?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.4.7  Tacos!  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.4.3    2 years ago
It's a single comment from a parent.

Apparently, it was enough - or all they had to go on:

no one from the public came out to speak, but one written comment that foreshadowed the state’s concerns about math textbooks.

Usually, it seems to me that the vast majority of people who are sensible and wouldn’t spend two seconds worrying about the politics of a math book, are content to not speak up. Because, why would they? Meanwhile, one - or a handful of - loud lunatic(s) contribute their insane perspective and get the whole book banned.

Not really worth getting excited about.

I agree, but then it apparently contributed to the book being banned, which is a much stronger reaction than just people commenting on the internet.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.4.8  Tacos!  replied to  Dulay @2.4.5    2 years ago
I'd like to read the part of Christine Speedy's letter that 'could be considered insensitive'. 

Probably, the part that begins, “WE the white, god-fearing people of Rock Ridge . . . “

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.4.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tacos! @2.4.7    2 years ago

I think this is because the people of Florida are scared of math so they have all the math books banned

Ender
Professor Principal
2.4.10  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.4.9    2 years ago

Math is hard. Some has letters in it. That can't be right....

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.4.11  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @2.4.10    2 years ago

Then they want you to find the eX. Y would I do that?

Ender
Professor Principal
2.4.12  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.4.11    2 years ago

Hey, that sounds like secret code for making someone a transexual.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.4.13  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @2.4.12    2 years ago

See? We can't have that in Florida!!!!

Ender
Professor Principal
2.4.14  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.4.13    2 years ago

I can only laugh at parts of this.

The republicans were complaining that children have to go back to school. They can't stay at home. They need social interaction to grow and learn. 

And now social-emotional learning is 'the worst of all'...

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.4.15  Sean Treacy  replied to  Tacos! @2.4.7    2 years ago
Apparently, it was enough - or all they had to go on:

But the unsolicited comment by a random parent to a local school board had nothing to do with the State Board's decision. It's thrown into  this  article   because that what biased reporters  of this ilk do. They pick the most egregious or stupid argument they can find in opposition to the preferred policy and use it is a stand in to represent all opposition. It's inclusion is not for informative purposes, but persuasive. 

ut then it apparently contributed to the book being banned, which is a much stronger reaction than just people commenting on the internet.

There's nothing to support that. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.4.16  Tacos!  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.4.15    2 years ago
There's nothing to support that. 

Well, it’s exists, was submitted, and read into the record, so that kind of supports it. I’m not suggesting it’s the only input they considered, but we don’t have anything else, do we? 

So what’s the alternative explanation? They flipped a coin? Or (more likely) they shared in this absurd stream of bigotry.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.4.17  Tacos!  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.4.9    2 years ago
I think this is because the people of Florida are scared of math

Well, we already know they’re afraid of counting.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.4.18  Sean Treacy  replied to  Tacos! @2.4.16    2 years ago
ell, it’s exists, was submitted, and read into the record, so that kind of supports it.

It's the same as claiming a post on this site  won the election for Biden in 2020. 

I’m not suggesting it’s the only input they considered

There's no reason to believe it was considered  at all. It was a submission to a local school board. I doubt the State school board goes through the minutes of every local school board and reads every citizen comment on every subject  before a state board meeting. 

So what’s the alternative explanation? 

The State Board has a process to review all the potential textbooks and decided accordingly. That seems more likely than a single comment about a single book at a local school board causing the State to ban textbooks from publishers not even mentioned by the complaining parent. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.4.19  Tacos!  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.4.18    2 years ago
It's the same as claiming a post on this site  won the election for Biden in 2020. 

No, it’s not. There were millions of comments on Biden. This one about the textbooks is the only one we are aware of. It’s not close to the same thing. 

There's no reason to believe it was considered  at all

Yes, there is. It was read as part of the hearing held to consider keeping or banning the textbooks.

You can’t really believe there is a good reason for banning over 50 math books, can you?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.4.20  Sean Treacy  replied to  Tacos! @2.4.19    2 years ago

This one about the textbooks is the only one we are aware of

So?  That's no reason to believe it had anything to do with the ultimate decision by an entirely different governmental body.  A lack of information doesn't mean it makes sense to attribute causality to whatever information you can find.

It’s not close to the same thing. 

Close enough. It's a single comment in a venue that gains very little traction.  Have you ever been to a local government meeting? do you imagine the people who go and submit their little diatribes to the Village Board are really affecting  what the state decides on a statewide initiative? 

was read as part of the hearing held to consider keeping or banning the textbooks

We know it had zero effect. First, it was submitted to a local school board, not the state school board that actually decided which textbooks to permit. Second, the local school board agreed to purchase textbooks from the publisher the commenter objected to after the comment was read into the record. The problem arose when the State school board subsequently placed that particular textbook, as well others, on it's prohibited list.

The commenter failed to even influence her local board. How you can jump from the local board ignoring her to believing without any evidence that she caused the state to ban that textbook as well as others  she didn't even mention is beyond me. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.4.21  Tacos!  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.4.20    2 years ago

I'm still waiting to hear a good reason for banning 50+ math books that is different from the contents of this letter.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.4.22  Sean Treacy  replied to  Tacos! @2.4.21    2 years ago

s till waiting to hear a good reason for banning 50+ math books that is different from the contents of this letter'

So you want to change the topic to speculation that can't be confirmed or rebutted?

Okay. Given the push to include CRT and racial equity concepts in math education, including from activist math teachers,  I would guess textbook authors have bought into this sort of racialist thought to some extent. For instance, trying to implement concepts in this book:

". scholars expand the uses of CRT in mathematics education and share insights with stakeholders regarding the racialized experiences of mathematics students and educators."

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.4.23  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tacos! @2.4.21    2 years ago
I'm still waiting to hear a good reason for banning 50+ math books

Is banning the correct verb or is rejecting more accurate?  The good news is that 78 math textbook submissions will be added to the state's adopted list.  That's a lot of books to choice from and covers every core mathematics course and grade.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     2 years ago

If this is true and teachers again can be sued for so-called ''teaching'' this forbidden language it will certainly help recruit qualified teachers to Florida where we currently have a large shortage of. Add to that we rate somewhere in the bottom five of average teacher salary nationwide I can't see any reason that we aren't overwhelmed with applications. /s

Other news outlets have the story as well, this is one from Florida with some more information

zuksam
Junior Silent
5  zuksam    2 years ago

At first it sounds unlikely that math books would contain CRT or other left wing ideological brainwashing but when you consider who is usually in charge of choosing textbooks for schools in most states you can understand why publishers would think this could give their texts a competitive advantage.

Ender
Professor Principal
5.1  Ender  replied to  zuksam @5    2 years ago

Last I read, most textbooks were made in Texas.

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1.1  JBB  replied to  Ender @5.1    2 years ago

The Texas School Book Commission which approves which text books are taught in Texas schools pretty much dictates what publishers offer. Nobody wants to write off that market...

zuksam
Junior Silent
5.1.2  zuksam  replied to  Ender @5.1    2 years ago
most textbooks were made in Texas.

Is that where they're manufactured or is it just the state with the laws publishers like the best so that's where they're incorporated. There are a lot of businesses registered in certain States strictly because of legal advantages but in reality their corporate footprint in that state is little more than a PO box and a lawyer.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @5.1.1    2 years ago

Nobody wants to write off that market...

So state curriculum standards and testing are a farce, everyone only learns what Texas dictates?

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1.4  JBB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.3    2 years ago

Did I say that? I did not. Research it yourself...

zuksam
Junior Silent
5.1.5  zuksam  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.3    2 years ago
So state curriculum standards and testing are a farce, everyone only learns what Texas dictates?

No I read some of the article he linked to and it was about how different states used history books that "differed in minor, yet significant ways." I'm betting Texas wants at least a third of the text to be all about the Republic of Texas and at least two chapters on the Alamo.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  zuksam @5.1.5    2 years ago

It’a surprising that CA and NY market share can’t trump Texas.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
5.1.7  Jack_TX  replied to  Ender @5.1    2 years ago
Last I read, most textbooks were made in Texas.

Made for Texas.  It's a huge market.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
5.1.8  Jack_TX  replied to  zuksam @5.1.5    2 years ago
No I read some of the article he linked to and it was about how different states used history books that "differed in minor, yet significant ways." I'm betting Texas wants at least a third of the text to be all about the Republic of Texas and at least two chapters on the Alamo.

That's a separate class.  Texas kids take a full year of Texas History.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.9  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @5.1.4    2 years ago

Maybe they teach around the Texas text books.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.10  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Jack_TX @5.1.7    2 years ago

Bigger than CA?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.11  Sean Treacy  replied to  JBB @5.1.1    2 years ago

Textbooks are manufactured and marketed to comply with “common core” standards, which are used in 41 states. Texas is not one of the 41.

It’s  “common core”  standards that textbook manufacturers cater to, not Texas.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
5.1.12  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  zuksam @5.1.2    2 years ago

University of Texas Press handles huge printing activity.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.13  Texan1211  replied to  zuksam @5.1.5    2 years ago
I'm betting Texas wants at least a third of the text to be all about the Republic of Texas and at least two chapters on the Alamo.

You will be losing that bet.

CB
Professor Principal
5.2  CB  replied to  zuksam @5    2 years ago

Wow, we're fighting over what constitutes a fact now. Geez, should we allow facts to be . . . true? Hmm, maybe, maybe not. Let's have a lie be truer and even "truest" and teach lies to tomorrow's youth! jrSmiley_68_smiley_image.png

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6  JohnRussell    2 years ago

54 contaminated text books and not even one example? 

I think it is highly unlikely that any of these books feature "critical race theory". 

Moose Knuckle
Freshman Quiet
6.1  Moose Knuckle  replied to  JohnRussell @6    2 years ago

That comment sounds highly speculative. Could you maybe elaborate with links for us to research or are you just hoping that is the case?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Moose Knuckle @6.1    2 years ago

Its not up to me to prove the books contain critical race theory, it is up to the ones that banned the books to prove their allegation. But you already know that. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
6.2  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell @6    2 years ago

Prohibited language:

“Jimmy and Henry are running in a ten mile race.  If Jimmy runs four miles per hour but takes one ten minute break, and Henry runs five miles per hour but takes two ten minute breaks, who will win?  What is more critical in this race, the speed at which they run or how many breaks they take?”

Florida suggested revision:

“Jimmy and Jamal are running a race to the fried chicken restaurant.  Who will win?”

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @6.2    2 years ago

Thank you for your inane comment.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
6.2.2  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.1    2 years ago

Thank you for your inane analysis of my comment.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @6.2.2    2 years ago

Your "comment" was a joke with no redeeming qualities.

You're welcome to the truthful analysis of your "comment".

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @6.2    2 years ago

Whoever's hungriest

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7  Perrie Halpern R.A.    2 years ago

Until I see these books I find it highly unlikely, especially given the topic.

Ender
Professor Principal
7.1  Ender  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7    2 years ago

Same. If proven wrong so be it. As of now, I don't buy it.

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Ender @7.1    2 years ago

Read the link in my comment 4 and you'll see the state won't give out the names/titles of the books. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.2  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7    2 years ago

Read my link in my comment 4 and you'll see that the state will not give out the names/titles of the books. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.3  Sparty On  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7    2 years ago

So your position is that the entire Florida DOE is lying about this?

Pretty arrogant on your part without having any proof.

Dulay
Professor Expert
7.3.1  Dulay  replied to  Sparty On @7.3    2 years ago
So your position is that the entire Florida DOE is lying about this?

My reading of Perrie's comment is that she prefers to be able to review evidence with her own eyes rather than take the partisan FDOE's word for it. 

Pretty obtuse on your part. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.3.2  Sparty On  replied to  Dulay @7.3.1    2 years ago
My reading of Perrie's comment is that she prefers to be able to review evidence with her own eyes rather than take the partisan FDOE's word for it. 

My comment stands on its own.    No need for your review.

Pretty obtuse on your part. 

Again, your opinion is worthless in this case as well.

Dulay
Professor Expert
7.3.3  Dulay  replied to  Sparty On @7.3.2    2 years ago
My comment stands on its own.  

As does Perrie's. 

No need for your review.

If you didn't want it reviewed, you shouldn't have posted it in an open forum. 

Why do you and yours have the need to pretend that you've ALREADY stated something when you haven't? 

Secondly, my opinion is just as worthy as yours. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.3.4  Sparty On  replied to  Dulay @7.3.3    2 years ago
As does Perrie's.

never said it didn’t

No need for your review.
If you didn't want it reviewed, you shouldn't have posted it in an open forum. 

one things for sure, you’ve got no say in the matter.

Why do you and yours have the need to pretend that you've ALREADY stated something when you haven't? 

an equally worthless comment

Secondly, my opinion is just as worthy as yours. 

see above ....

Dulay
Professor Expert
7.3.5  Dulay  replied to  Sparty On @7.3.4    2 years ago
one things for sure, you’ve got no say in the matter.

Nor do you have a say in whether I review it. That's how this shit works. 

an equally worthless comment

Actually, it's a question. Note the punctuation. 

see above ....

Again, obtuse. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.3.6  Sparty On  replied to  Dulay @7.3.5    2 years ago

You have a wonderful and Happy Easter there Dulay [deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.3.7  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @7.3.6    2 years ago

jrSmiley_55_smiley_image.gif

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.3.8  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @7.3.7    2 years ago

I know, some real angry people out there.    Real angry which just gets enabled by NT.    Better here than on a loved one I suppose

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.3.9  XXJefferson51  replied to  Sparty On @7.3.8    2 years ago

Well said and right on! jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif👏🥳

bugsy
Professor Participates
7.3.10  bugsy  replied to  Sparty On @7.3.2    2 years ago

No, no..you see, Sparty, this one only posts, according to her, facts.

No one is allowed to debunk or argue those "facts", as she deemed herself always correct.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.3.11  Sparty On  replied to  bugsy @7.3.10    2 years ago

Ah yes, the old, “truth is what I tell you it is” gambit.

bugsy
Professor Participates
7.3.12  bugsy  replied to  Sparty On @7.3.11    2 years ago

Unfortunately, we see it almost constantly.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.3.13  Sparty On  replied to  bugsy @7.3.12    2 years ago

Yeah but not everywhere.    Mainly in places like this and other social networks.    Mass media as well.

Not so prolific face to face in the real world.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
7.3.14  Ozzwald  replied to  Sparty On @7.3.11    2 years ago
Ah yes, the old, “truth is what I tell you it is” gambit.

Is that similar to "alternative facts"?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.3.15  Sparty On  replied to  Ozzwald @7.3.14    2 years ago

No

Dulay
Professor Expert
7.3.16  Dulay  replied to  bugsy @7.3.10    2 years ago
No, no..you see, Sparty, this one only posts, according to her, facts. No one is allowed to debunk or argue those "facts", as she deemed herself always correct.

As members can see, your cowardly comment contains no facts and makes no attempt to debunk anything. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.3.17  Sparty On  replied to  Dulay @7.3.16    2 years ago

[deleted]

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
7.3.18  Ozzwald  replied to  Sparty On @7.3.15    2 years ago
No

You sure?  Seems like in the same class.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.3.19  Sparty On  replied to  Ozzwald @7.3.18    2 years ago
You sure? 

Yeah, pretty sure but hey.    That’s just my opinion.    I could be wrong.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
7.3.20  Ozzwald  replied to  Sparty On @7.3.19    2 years ago

Yeah, pretty sure but hey.    That’s just my opinion.    I could be wrong.

Okay.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.3.21  Tessylo  replied to  Ozzwald @7.3.14    2 years ago

That's all they got ozz!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.3.22  Tessylo  replied to  Dulay @7.3.16    2 years ago
"As members can see, your cowardly comment contains no facts and makes no attempt to debunk anything"

Typical!  Every time they post

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
7.3.23  Ozzwald  replied to  Tessylo @7.3.21    2 years ago
That's all they got ozz!

Yeah, but they like trying to pretend that opinions are the same as facts.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.3.24  Tessylo  replied to  Ozzwald @7.3.23    2 years ago

Exactly my thought, problem, with these 'articles', opinions presented as facts.  

CB
Professor Principal
7.3.25  CB  replied to  Sparty On @7.3.8    2 years ago

"Karen song" playing "Feeling" from the machines on NT.

CB
Professor Principal
7.3.26  CB  replied to  Sparty On @7.3.13    2 years ago

"Karen" wears feelings again.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.3.27  Sparty On  replied to  CB @7.3.26    2 years ago

Lol ..... Karen’s report posts, the rest of us don’t.    But hey don’t believe me, the proof shows here every day.

Look no further than this seed ..... this string.

It’s hilariously sophomoric and fun to watch.

CB
Professor Principal
7.3.28  CB  replied to  Sparty On @7.3.27    2 years ago

You're here and on it. Whoopie doo! As for 'reporting' posts, only when it is necessary to maintain quality and integrity of our mutually shared 'environment.' You conservatives just can't come here and "nuh-uh," spin, and do stealth 'combat' without being made to take some responsibility for insincerity.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.3.29  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @7.3.27    2 years ago
Look no further than this seed ..... this string. It’s hilariously sophomoric and fun to watch.

Looks like the debate is petering out. Expect the race card to be played at any moment now.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.3.30  Sparty On  replied to  CB @7.3.28    2 years ago
As for reporting posts, only when it is necessary to maintain the quality and integrity of the 'environment.

lol .... alrighty then.    When is the last time you reported a left leaning post that impinged on the “quality and integrity” of the environment?    No need to answer that because because the answer is rarely if ever.

That said, I’ll remind you once again.    Free speech is easy when you agree with it.    It only gets difficult when you don’t.

A concept many here can’t truly grasp.   Their style is more 1984ish.

They should own it.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.3.31  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @7.3.29    2 years ago

I’ll see that and raise you one insulting of intelligence accusation    

CB
Professor Principal
7.3.32  CB  replied to  Sparty On @7.3.30    2 years ago

"Physician" heal thyself!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.3.33  Sparty On  replied to  CB @7.3.32    2 years ago

Matthew  7:1-3

CB
Professor Principal
7.3.34  CB  replied to  Sparty On @7.3.33    2 years ago
Matthew  7:1-3

Matthew 7:24. I am judging conservatives according to demonstrable error. That is, these 'games' conservatives are playing around with in the lives of their fellow peers, not subordinates.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.3.35  Sparty On  replied to  CB @7.3.34    2 years ago

Lol .... yeah I’m sure you really do believe that.    Meanwhile the left’s targeted totalitarianism on others is right as rain with you.

The hypocrisy and arrogance at play there is astounding!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.4  XXJefferson51  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7    2 years ago

I like the actions that the state of Florida and its education department are taking on this issue.  Yet again Florida is the shining example to be emulated and copied by the rest of America.  Texas does a great job on education standards as well.  I also like that Tennessee is bringing in Hillsdale College to set up charter schools to prevent CRT and promote 1776 instead of 1619 propaganda.  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.4.1  Sparty On  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.4    2 years ago

Hillsdale .... great college!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.4.2  Tessylo  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.4    2 years ago

They're doing their damndest to whitewash history!

Dulay
Professor Expert
7.4.3  Dulay  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.4    2 years ago

Well since Florida is rated 16th, Tennessee is rated 31st. and Texas is rated 35th, your assessment is obtuse. 

BTFW, Florida is 34th in Math scores. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.4.4  Tessylo  replied to  Dulay @7.4.3    2 years ago

Failing schools are to be emulated!

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
7.4.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @7.4.2    2 years ago

Is that an example of an opinion presented as a fact that you that you previously mentioned?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
7.4.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Dulay @7.4.3    2 years ago

BTFW, Florida is 34th in Math scores. 

BTFW, the US is ranked 31 out of 79 countries in math literacy.  We haven't improved in twenty years.  

Dulay
Professor Expert
7.4.7  Dulay  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @7.4.6    2 years ago
BTFW, the US is ranked 31 out of 79 countries in math literacy.  We haven't improved in twenty years. 

Perhaps because we're too fucking busy making sure cartoons have genders. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
7.4.8  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Dulay @7.4.7    2 years ago
Perhaps because we're too fucking busy making sure cartoons have genders. 

That's a new and unique explanation.

Dulay
Professor Expert
7.4.9  Dulay  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @7.4.8    2 years ago

Examples she cited in her letter, which were not read publicly, include a cartoon character “that is clearly gender-neutral;”

CB
Professor Principal
7.4.10  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @7.4.8    2 years ago

My grandmother called it, "Stirring around in old shit." Oh yes, she did. She really did!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

So for the doubters here: If it's not going on, what harm is there in outlawing it?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.1  Tacos!  replied to  Vic Eldred @8    2 years ago
If it's not going on, what harm is there in outlawing it?

Because it’s Elephant Repellant. 

Politicians - already a species inclined to be full of shit - shouldn’t be allowed to bamboozle the electorate by trying to convince them they are being saved from a non-existent threat.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @8.1    2 years ago

That's all today's and yesterday's republicans have given and continue to give - saving us from a non-existent threat or something they created.  

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
9  Drinker of the Wry    2 years ago

“The Florida Department of Education rejected 54 math textbooks from its curriculum on Friday…The highest number of books rejected were for grade levels K-5,”

That’s a large variety of math books for 6 grades.  So much for the theory that Texas controls the school text book market and selects what the nation’s children use.

zuksam
Junior Silent
9.1  zuksam  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @9    2 years ago

I imagine every state or city rejects most books for some reason or other. There all a lot of textbooks available that cover the same subjects and in most schools even if you're in an advanced 8th grade class you're just using the same textbook as lower level 12th graders so how many math books does a school system really need. When they choose certain books they automatically reject others in the same way you do when you buy one shirt from a store that has hundreds of shirt styles and colors.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
9.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @9    2 years ago

No, California has its own standards too that are largely diametrically opposed to Texas standards so the rest of the country has two standards to choose from and it looks like Florida is junking the Ca model for the Texas one. So, like almost everything else, education in America will be a red/blue divide.  California actually passed a law banning the Texas curriculum in the state because they knew most of the rural districts here would openly adopt them instead of just leaving things out from common core that we don’t like.  And they were right since most people in the rural counties openly side with Arizona, Texas, Florida when against California when cultural and urban economic issue issues between them come up. 

CB
Professor Principal
9.2.1  CB  replied to  XXJefferson51 @9.2    2 years ago

I'm sorry. This is the pits. We, all of us ought to be ashamed. We look around the world at countries that can't get their collective shit together no matter how they try. And we-sitting in the lap of diversity, housing the collective beating hearts of the world's host, are sitting around indulgently ripping that collective heart out one vein at a time. It's perversion. It's sick. It's insufferable. Evidently, we have more success in our national experiment than we deserve and now we need to rip up the social contract and fall to the rear of the stacking order of nations.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
9.2.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @9.2.1    2 years ago
I'm sorry. This is the pits

You've got that right CB. Our students are well behind much of the world in math.  

American students struggle in math. I read that US students ranked 31 out of 79 countries in math and our scores have remained flat for 20 years.  

Our lousy performance begs the question, are the 30 countries that out scored us teaching math differently?

Given our flat performance, it seems that Common Core has failed us in math.  

CB
Professor Principal
9.2.3  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @9.2.2    2 years ago

What is failing the US is arrogance, stupidity, and being irresponsible .  We should be damn ashamed of it too. But, they are not. Instead, setting the country back to a 'simpler' time when lies, delusions, and corruption dominated society is what some of our citizenry considers a return to better times. Times when 'they' say they didn't know any better, but now wish and intend to 'go back'! Dumb butts.

And yes, on an incremental and escalating scale, everything is going to pass us if we don't stop 'navel gazing' at dumb shit delusions and misinformation as a form of reality! People can only wait so long, before they drop our 'brand' in the shitcan of life and start thinking for themselves how to get along without the US. That is, their nations can do bad all by themselves! Just keep the talent they have 'at home.'

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.2.4  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @9.2.2    2 years ago
You've got that right CB. Our students are well behind much of the world in math.  

American students struggle in math. I read that US students ranked 31 out of 79 countries in math and our scores have remained flat for 20 years.  

Our lousy performance begs the question, are the 30 countries that out scored us teaching math differently?

Isn't rather amazing that we started going downhill on education only after we formed a new government department-the Dept. of Education?

What's that old saying about how government could fuck up almost anything?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10  Sparty On    2 years ago

The idea that “Math” would be used to push some narrative other than the pure essence of what “Math” represents, is as disgusting as it gets.    Unconscionable actually.

Math, like all STEM is all about education and not indoctrination.

No other way to look at it.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @10    2 years ago

Maybe you can offer some sort of proof that these textbooks contain "woke" material. No one else has been able to yet. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @10.1    2 years ago

No need to.    

If it is as you say and no proof exists, if books get removed, you’ve lost nothing since there is nothing there.

Whats the problem?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
10.1.2  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Sparty On @10.1.1    2 years ago

It is amazing what serves as logic on the right.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10.1.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @10.1    2 years ago
No one else has been able to yet. 

This article is proof. Why don't you refute it?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
10.1.4  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Sean Treacy @10.1.3    2 years ago

It is amazing what serves as logic on the right.  This bears repeating.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
10.1.5  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Sparty On @10.1.1    2 years ago

Sparty - that's not so.

C'mon - DeSantos signed a bill into law where you can't say "gay" 'cuz your gonna hurt somebody's feelings.

BUT - everyone knows that math is nothing but "gay".  I mean - x + x = 2x - y + y = 2y - one male plus one male equals two gay males - one female plus one female equals two lesbians. 

That's the simple part.

Now, look at 2x + 2x = 4x - 2y + 2y = 4y - homosexual parties getting ready to start.  Can't you just see x squared plus y squared leads up to an orgy.  How 'bout tan and cotan or sin or cosin?  Yo have one tan or sin having dependency issues so they have to get a partner ("co") to help them walk the axis roads.

Hell yeah - nothing but sexual references throughout the entire math book - jeeezzzzz Louise - how can you be so blind as to not seeing that?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
10.1.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @10.1.4    2 years ago
This bears repeating.

What to do when you know that one time won't be effective:

Lather, rinse, repeat

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
10.1.7  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @10.1.6    2 years ago

Just curious - what does “effective” mean in the context of NT?  

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
10.1.8  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  1stwarrior @10.1.5    2 years ago
signed a bill into law where you can't say "gay"

On what page is that in this 7 page legislation?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
10.1.9  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @10.1.7    2 years ago

You need to define it for you, as you wrote, "This bears repeating".

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
10.1.10  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @10.1.9    2 years ago

Your posts would be far more effective if they made sense.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10.1.11  JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @10.1.10    2 years ago

One suspects they make a lot of internal sense. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
10.1.12  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @10.1.8    2 years ago

The Trevor Project condemned the signing of the bill saying the bill erases "LGBTQ identity, history, and culture — as well as LGBTQ students themselves. "

The group also critiqued the policy's parental notification requirements. The law requires parents to be the first to be notified of any health or support services offered to their kids in school and allows them the chance to deny those services on behalf of their children.

The Trevor Project says these provisions, "appear to undermine LGBTQ support in schools and include vague parental notification requirements, which could effectively require teachers to 'out' LGBTQ students to their legal guardians without their consent, regardless of whether they are supportive."

Amit Paley, CEO & Executive Director of The Trevor Project, said in a statement that, "While I am saddened to see this harmful bill signed into law, I am inspired by the outpouring of support for LGBTQ students we have seen from parents, teachers, celebrities, and their peers. Social support is vital for suicide prevention, and I want to remind LGBTQ youth in Florida and across the country that you are not alone."

On Monday, a spokesperson said in a statement that the company hopes the law is repealed or struck down in court.

"Florida's HB 1557, also known as the 'Don't Say Gay' bill , should never have passed and should never have been signed into law," the statement read. "Our goal as a company is for this law to be repealed by the legislature or struck down in the courts, and we remain committed to supporting the national and state organizations working to achieve that."

Ya need to catch up with what's happening in the world.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10.1.13  Sparty On  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @10.1.2    2 years ago

Nah but what is pretty amazing is the disinformation and propaganda many on the left expect to get away with.

Cue the requisite accusation about how much smarter liberals are .....

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
10.1.14  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  1stwarrior @10.1.12    2 years ago

Exactly, it’s outrageous that a school needs to notify parents when providing health aid to children.  What are those wacky parents thinking?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
10.1.15  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @10.1.10    2 years ago

would be far more effective if they made sense

Alas, I'm dependent on the receiver. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
10.1.16  Dulay  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @10.1.14    2 years ago

So you missed the 'out' LGBTQ students to their legal guardians without their consent, regardless of whether they are supportive' part of that block quote?

Or is it your posit that it SHOULD be Florida school's duty to put LGBTQ students in harms way? 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
10.1.17  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Dulay @10.1.16    2 years ago
Or is it your posit that it SHOULD be Florida school's duty to put LGBTQ students in harms way? 

Of course not, receiving gender identity counseling at 12 isn't as dangerous as giving a child the aspirin that requires parental notification.  The school workers are paid professionals, unlike the wacky parents.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.1.18  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @10.1.17    2 years ago

LOL!

Dulay
Professor Expert
10.1.19  Dulay  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @10.1.17    2 years ago
Of course not, receiving gender identity counseling at 12 isn't as dangerous as giving a child the aspirin that requires parental notification. 

WTF are you blathering about? 

Outing an LGBTQ student has NOTHING to do with 'gender identity counseling'. Stop deflecting. 

The school workers are paid professionals, unlike the wacky parents.

It's estimated that about 40% of LGBT kids are rejected by their 'wacky parents'. Do you propose that schools do the same? 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10.1.20  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @10.1.18    2 years ago

He is good ....

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.1.21  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @10.1.20    2 years ago

Seems to have struck QUITE the nerve there!

[removed  member is not the topic

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
10.1.22  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Dulay @10.1.19    2 years ago
Outing an LGBTQ student has NOTHING to do with 'gender identity counseling'. Stop deflecting. 

This law is a result of  Clay County school officials hiding that a  12-year-old girl  was receiving mental health and gender identity counseling for months and only informed  the parents  after the child attempted suicide in the school bathroom on two separate occasions. 

In Jan, her parents were called to come to the school, when they arrived they saw their daughter being placed into the back of a police car to go to the hospital for involuntary examination under Florida’s “Baker Act” law. The Baker Act allows law enforcement and certain health officials to initiate a mental health examination in the event a person is an imminent risk to herself or others based on apparent mental illness.

School officials allegedly defended their actions by invoking “confidentiality rules” to justify not including the parents in the previous counseling sessions.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.1.23  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @10.1.19    2 years ago

The school handled it all so well the child tried to commit suicide.

jrSmiley_84_smiley_image.gifjrSmiley_84_smiley_image.gifjrSmiley_84_smiley_image.gif

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
10.1.24  Greg Jones  replied to  Dulay @10.1.19    2 years ago

Source?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
10.1.25  XXJefferson51  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @10.1.4    2 years ago
"It seems that some publishers attempted to slap a coat of paint on an old house built on the foundation of Common Core, and indoctrinating concepts like race essentialism, especially, bizarrely, for elementary school students," DeSantis said in a statement accompanying the announcement. "I’m grateful that Commissioner Corcoran and his team at the Department have conducted such a thorough vetting of these textbooks to ensure they comply with the law."
AP21223863650914.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

DEMOCRATS CLAIM FLORIDA IS PUSHING ‘DON’T SAY GAY' BILL. HERE'S WHAT THE LEGISLATION ACTUALLY SAYS

The DOE clarified that each core mathematics course and grade is covered by at least one approved textbook.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
10.1.26  XXJefferson51  replied to  XXJefferson51 @10.1.25    2 years ago
"The highest number of books rejected were for grade levels K-5, where an alarming 71 percent were not appropriately aligned with Florida standards or included prohibited topics and unsolicited strategies," the DOE said in the announcement.

"Reasons for rejecting textbooks included references to Critical Race Theory (CRT), inclusions of Common Core, and the unsolicited addition of Social Emotional Learning (SEL) in mathematics."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/florida-math-textbook-critical-race-theory-desantis

Dulay
Professor Expert
10.1.27  Dulay  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @10.1.22    2 years ago
This law is a result ofClay County school officials hiding that a  12-year-old girl  was receiving mental health and gender identity counseling for months and only informed  the parents  after the child attempted suicide in the school bathroom on two separate occasions. 

Yet there is documentation of Maria Perez informing the school counselor of her child had expressed gender dysphoria and stating that she encouraged the child to 'take the lead' about what pronoun should be used and stated that the counselor could decide which school staff to inform. 

Hence, the couselor spoke to the kid and followed his wishes and informed the 'need to know' staff. 

It's also a fact that the child had attempted suicide for the first time, the day before, the parents were informed of that incident and yet, they sent their child to school the next day anyway. 

Guess your sources didn't include those important little tid bits of information. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.1.28  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @10.1.27    2 years ago
Yet there is documentation of Maria Perez informing the school

Why don't you provide it then?

Dulay
Professor Expert
10.1.29  Dulay  replied to  Greg Jones @10.1.24    2 years ago

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
10.1.30  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Dulay @10.1.29    2 years ago

4 in 10 LGBT youth are rejected by family 

Your survey has a of adults, not youth and includes rejection by friends.  On bad friend gets lands you in the reject pile.  You don’t know how many LGBT youth are rejected by family.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
10.1.31  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Dulay @10.1.27    2 years ago

Show us your sources as I can’t find them.  Mine includes:

Dulay
Professor Expert
10.1.32  Dulay  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @10.1.30    2 years ago

I posted a search result, not a survey. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.1.33  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @10.1.32    2 years ago

so no facts, ty.

Dulay
Professor Expert
10.1.34  Dulay  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @10.1.31    2 years ago

Did you miss the part in your second source that states that 'the student suicide at school twice in as many days'? 

BTW, the Perez lawsuit isn't the only one that resulted in the law. The other was filed by January and Jeffery Littlejohn. I got Perez and Littlejohn mixed up since they claim the same bullshit. 

Family Files Federal Lawsuit Against Leon County School Board over Gender Policy – Tallahassee Reports

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
10.1.35  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Dulay @10.1.34    2 years ago

Did you miss the part in your second source that states that 'the student suicide at school twice in as many days'? 

No, point?

Who is this Perez that you keep mentioning?  Any link to her? 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
10.1.36  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Dulay @10.1.32    2 years ago

You posted an erroneous assertion with any backing. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
10.1.37  Dulay  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @10.1.35    2 years ago
No, point?

Obtuse. 

Who is this Perez that you keep mentioning?  Any link to her? 

The mother of the child you pretend to be so worried about. Is that a close enough link? 

Dulay
Professor Expert
10.1.38  Dulay  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @10.1.36    2 years ago

Some read past the first link provided, some are too lazy. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
10.1.39  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  1stwarrior @10.1.5    2 years ago

Guess everyone's "sense of humor" got whooshed over on this one.

Ah well.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
11  seeder  1stwarrior    2 years ago

Sparty On
Professor Principal
11.1  Sparty On  replied to  1stwarrior @11    2 years ago

Funny but not applicable in this case.  

Find a Far Side that lampoons trying to use “woke” issues to teach “math” and then you’ll be cooking with propane.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @11.1    2 years ago

Not Far Side, but still:

4yw0xf.jpg

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Texan1211 @11.1.1    2 years ago

4y9tpp.jpg

Sparty On
Professor Principal
11.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @11.1.2    2 years ago

Lol .... sounds about right

Teachers unions and radical academia finally got caught.     Too bad it took a Pandemic for it to happen.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
12  MrFrost    2 years ago

Cancel culture. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
12.1  Sparty On  replied to  MrFrost @12    2 years ago

According to many on the left it isn’t there.    

How can you cancel something that doesn’t exist?

That would be a neat trick .....

Texan1211
Professor Principal
12.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @12.1    2 years ago

almost as neat as getting a reasonable explanation

Tacos!
Professor Guide
13  Tacos!    2 years ago

I’m not convinced you can put CRT in a math book. That makes no sense.

We need a list of the books and of the objectionable content. Perhaps some enterprising journalist can accomplish something via some kind of records request.

Otherwise, I wouldn’t be surprised if the whole thing had been made up by the governor’s office to make people think he’s doing something for them.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
13.1  Sparty On  replied to  Tacos! @13    2 years ago

I doubt both sides of this debate would agree about what is and isn’t CRT related or overly woke.

I mean all could probably agree word problems with apples, oranges or trains are pretty neutral.    Cars as well unless they go to the trouble of pointing out something like a pair of lesbians are driving one and a pair of oppressed African Americans were driving the other.

I suspect it’s something like that.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
13.1.1  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Sparty On @13.1    2 years ago

Or one driving a Lincoln while the other is driving a VW or Yugo.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
15  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

"The National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics (NCSM) and TODOS: Mathematics for ALL (TODOS) ratify
social justice as a key priority in the access to, engagement with, and advancement in mathematics education for our
country’s youth."

CB
Professor Principal
15.1  CB  replied to  Sean Treacy @15    2 years ago

INTERESTING. I will have to read this more closely in the coming days. I want to get a sense of what all the 'rage' is! Thanks Sean.

CB
Professor Principal
16  CB    2 years ago
As early as pre-school and kindergarten, research and policy documents use deficit-oriented labels such as “maladaptive” and “immature” strategies to describe black, Latina/o, and poor children’s mathematical learning and position them as already behind their white and middle class peers (Clements & Sarama, 2007; National Research Council, 2000). In practice, the ubiquitous and dehumanizing labels such as “slow kids,” “low kids,” “high kids,” and “bubble kids” persist. The hyper focus on performance and perceived readiness leads to these learning labels fueling teacher and institutional expectations that affect what type of school sanctioned mathematics instruction children receive (Flores, 2007; Gutiérrez, 2008; Gutiérrez & Dixon-Román, 2011).

The labels bestow privilege and marginalization leading to a differentiated and unjust mathematics education. A social justice priority in mathematics education is to openly challenge deficit thinking and the institutional tools and practices that perpetuate static views about children and their mathematics competencies. Eliminating the deficit discourse by focusing on learning rather than labels is a key step toward a more just and equitable mathematics education

How difficult and upsetting can it be to students who are first time learners to be instructed in understanding life, sciences, and math factually and in a real world sense? Oh, right, conservatives have a NEED for something to combat and act as a foil against. Instead of being human- because we are humans after all, instead of displaying feelings-because we are emotional creatures. Just be 'dogs' and 'cats' and vicious jackasses towards others and the education processes. Afterall, being 'dicks' toward people you can raise up for the next generation by telling them to shut off their care and concerns for one another is 'manly' and 'womanly' as its been defined for thousands of years - right?

Let's not change it. Although it is our country together and we can change it for the better anytime we want! Only conservatives wouldn't want to be better as people, right?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
16.1  Texan1211  replied to  CB @16    2 years ago

Can you ever post without lashing out at the evil conservatives?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
16.2  Texan1211  replied to  CB @16    2 years ago
How difficult and upsetting can it be to students who are first time learners to be instructed in understanding life, sciences, and math factually and in a real world sense?

Tell us.

Maybe seeing idiotic stuff like what is posted in 11.1.2 is confusing the hell out of them, upsetting them and the like.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
17  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

I wouldn't be surprised if Florida were to ban Oreo cookies.  It's bad enough to see DeSantis vs Mickey Mouse.

Ender
Professor Principal
18  Ender    2 years ago

Just read this..

Timothy Burke
@bubbaprog
Ron DeSantis has banned all K-5 math textbook publishers from the state of Florida except one: the company owned by fellow GOP governor Glenn Youngkin's private equity firm

Things that make you go Hmmm.

Historically, when Florida school districts reevaluate which math instructional materials they will use, they have had more than one publisher to choose from.

Now, the only publisher approved by Gov. Ron DeSantis and the Florida Department of Education for K-5 mathematics is  Accelerate Learning , a company out of Houston, Texas.

The Carlyle Group, a global investment firm, acquired Accelerate Learning on Dec. 20, 2018,   according to the firm's website.

During that time,   Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin   was the co-CEO of the firm. After  25 years  with the company, Youngkin resigned in 2020 to run for office in Virginia. 

The   first thing   Youngkin did as governor of Virginia was   sign an executive order   to "end the use of inherently divisive concepts, including critical race theory, and restoring excellence in K-12 public education in the commonwealth," a measure that's comparable to DeSantis' "Stop WOKE Act."

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
18.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ender @18    2 years ago

I must have been mistaken, I thought that I read that books from McGraw Hill LLC and Savvas Learning Company LLC were included in those accepted for K-5.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
18.2  Tessylo  replied to  Ender @18    2 years ago

Youngkin ran and won on something that wasn't being taught!  Don't that beat all!

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
18.2.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @18.2    2 years ago

Elections rarely are won on the basis of a single issue and VA was no exception.,

McAuliffe is well known here as a rabid, partisan animal.  He also put his foot in his mouth with “I don’t think parents should be telling schools what they should teach.” Without this statement, that he didn't walk back, education wouldn't have become this issue that it did.  

McAuliffe kept trying to tie Youngkin to Trump but forgot to tell voters what he would do as governor again. He also had Biden's unpopularity as a drag on his campaign.

The delay on passing the infrastructure bill as Dem's held it hostage to BBB may also have hurt.  

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
19  seeder  1stwarrior    2 years ago

Humorous reasons FL is challenging the cancelled books.

"Here in the great state of Florida, we are committed to protecting our children from any and all forms of indoctrination, and math is no exception. These are the mathematical concepts we find objectionable based on the dangers they pose to children:

Calculus:  We stand firmly against any field of mathematics that requires integration.

Multiplication:  We believe only certain numbers should be allowed to multiply with one another.

Polygons:  We reject the notion that anything can have more than one side.

Order of Operations:  The mnemonic  Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally  is reverse racism. Nobody should have to apologize just because their relative was in the United Daughters of the Confederacy.

The Number Zero:  All numbers are either positive or negative. That’s just basic math.

Subtraction:  It’s wrong to subtract a fractional number from another number before it has become whole.

Set Theory:  We oppose any concept that recognizes the “simple majority” or “plurality” of a group.

Equal Signs:  We believe in equality, obviously. Just not the way they’re doing it.

Prime Numbers:  The only prime number the State of Florida recognizes is 17—the age at which a woman is in her prime.

Functions:  We’re against anything that requires getting input first before it can be executed.

Gradients:  We believe all slopes are slippery.

Square Roots:  No mathematical concept that encourages using radical symbols should ever be taught in schools.

Mathematical Proofs:  We don’t think any assertion requires “proof.”

Limits of Exponential Functions:  Powers should not have any limits.

Non-Binary Operations, the Transitive Property, Cis(x), and Homogeneous Spaces:  You’re not allowed to say any of these words in Florida.

Division:  This one is OK with us."

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
19.1  Jack_TX  replied to  1stwarrior @19    2 years ago

That's clever.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
20  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

Here's a little update

The state of  Florida  has released four examples from textbooks it has rejected from its school system amid concerns over the promotion of Critical Race Theory and common core principles.

"Based on the volume of requests the Department has received for examples of problematic elements of the recently reviewed instructional materials, the following are examples provided to the department by the public and presented no conflict in sharing them," the Florida Department of Education wrote in a  disclaimer  along with screenshots from the rejected textbooks. "These examples do not represent an exhaustive list of input received by the Department.  The Department is continuing to give publishers the opportunity to remediate all deficiencies identified during the review to ensure the broadest selection of high quality instructional materials are available to the school districts and Florida’s students."

In one of the screenshots, the text describes the Implicit Association Test which measures levels of "racial prejudice" while displaying a graph suggesting conservatives are more inclined to be racially biased.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
21  seeder  1stwarrior    2 years ago

Thread is getting to be too much of a history session - which I love

But -

Gonna shut it down but not before I thank all of you for your comments and thoughts.

Truly interesting.