╌>

Something New and Something Old/ Group Meta

Category:  Meta for use by Perrie RA and moderators. Member meta goes into the group Metafied found on top tab

By:  perrie-halpern  •  2 years ago  •  350 comments

Something New and Something Old/ Group Meta
Just for transparency.

The reason for this NT Meta is to address some issues that lately keep coming up.

Item 1 The F-bomb

Our CoC allows for cursing but... this cursing can't be part of a personal attack. To rehash, you can use the F word as an adjective, as long as you are not using it to describe a member. Example:

* "The members of congress are F'ing idiots", is OK.

* "You are a F'ing" idiot, is not.

You can't say "F You", since that is considered a personal attack. On the other hand, you can say F off, since that is a colorful way of saying go away.

Item 2 Taunting and Flagging

Members tend to flag comments they don't like (or maybe don't like the other member) for taunting. If a mod goes and looks at the thread, which we do often and we read up and see that there was a taunt to provoke a taunt, the flag will be ignored. What is good for the goose...

Ignore Function

This is a policy change. In the past, the mods were trying to enforce a no communication between members that declared another member was on ignore. This was my bad. The function was never designed to do that.

The ignore function was designed to allow people to hide undesirable comments from their view.   It was intentionally (as with NV) designed as a passive function.   Essentially the member issuing an IGNORE is voluntarily (and silently, by intent) putting blinders on themselves.   Nobody is affected other than the ignore.

This, in part, is why ignores are not published.   Since nobody is affected when placed on ignore, they need not know about it.   (Also, and importantly, publishing the ignores would be a mild weaponizing.)

If, however, a person can affect someone else by ignoring them, we have turned a passive, individual tool into a weapon. This was never the intent of the function because it then turns into a way of censoring a member at the will of another member, and that is not right. 

So if you chose to ignore a member, that is a personal choice, even if you tell another member they are on ignore. The mods will no longer be intervening on ignore. If you have a bigger issue with a member (meaning an issue has become personal), please contact the mods.

OK, that's everything. I think it is pretty self-explainatory, but I will leave the article open for questions about these issues only.

Article is LOCKED by moderator [Perrie Halpern R.A.]
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.    2 years ago

Keep it nice and on point folks and follow the CoC.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    2 years ago

crap. there goes a quarter of my vocabulary and most of my fun. wtf?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @1.1    2 years ago

You got that right.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    2 years ago

Just one point:

So if you chose to ignore a member, that is a personal choice, even if you tell another member they are on ignore. The mods will no longer be intervening on ignore. If you have a bigger issue with a member (meaning an issue has become personal), please contact the mods.

That is the way you had it for the longest time. I'm glad you are going back to that. I'd love to know why you changed it in the first place.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2    2 years ago
I'd love to know why you changed it in the first place.

Probably because it bothered a few folks when they had someone on ignore but had comments to them they were unable to ignore on their own.

Looks like some thought that the ignore button stopped others from voicing opinions.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.1    2 years ago
Looks like some thought that the ignore button stopped others from voicing opinions

Yep. Dissention is a dirty word to some......................

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.2.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.2.2    2 years ago
Dissention is a dirty word to some......................

There are many who call dissention "trolling".  Some of these very people can't understand how somebody else could have a differing opinion.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.2.3    2 years ago

Having a different opinion is one thing, being able to express it without trolling is something else again. 

Stop fucking asking people to show you "proof" when they have already done it over and over. 

Stop demanding links to things you could look up yourself in 5 seconds. 

[deleted] Seed something and explain and defend it in more than one sentence increments. 

[deleted]

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.2.5  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.4    2 years ago
Stop fucking asking people to show you "proof" when they have already done it over and over.

Then provide it.  

Stop demanding links to things you could look up yourself in 5 seconds. 

Then provide them.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.2.6  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.4    2 years ago

And why are you making and taking my statement personal and taking it out on me?  I didn't mention anybody by name. 

Yet here you are going off exactly how I described.   

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.2.7  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.2.6    2 years ago

I'm going to reply to everyone here.

Vic, Texan, and Jim, I really don't remember how that happened, but probably from a taunting report. I have to give credit where credit is due and it was Tig pointed out that it was not being used as he had designed it or how we intended. So, I wanted to fix that, and hence this article. 

Now about the rules of engagement.

I have seen too many of these, "Show me the proof" discussions and in fact, if you make a statement that is not supposed to be an opinion, you should be able to back it up. That is how speech and debate works. But once shown "proof" you can't discount it without showing some of your own proof. Otherwise, it does become "trolling".

Demanding links is fine, but you better be able to provide yours in kind. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.8  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.2.2    2 years ago

And some people just have to troll even when they know they are on ignore. Do some people go out of their way to harass someone in real life that they know hates their guts? What is the point in that? Is there some kind of sadistic pleasure people take in bothering people that can't stand them?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.2.9  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.8    2 years ago

I'm locking this thread. 

shona1
PhD Quiet
1.3  shona1  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    2 years ago

Morning...there is an ignore button??

Easier to just tell someone to buggar off..not sure if you use that expression.

Nahhh you mob take life to seriously over there at times...

Glad some people have still got their sense of humour reading these comments. Lose that and we are all screwed...

Morning smoko(tea) time... capucinno here I come..

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.3.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  shona1 @1.3    2 years ago

Morning to you too Shona!

Easier to just tell someone to buggar off..not sure if you use that expression.

LMAO, thanks for laugh and yes I do use that expression. It does not translate well into American English... it could get you into trouble.

Have a good cuppa java and greet the day!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2  Trout Giggles    2 years ago

I still don't understand people who want to continue to push others' buttons. Everyone here should know that I purposely go out of my way to avoid people I can't stand. I will take another route thru the office just so I can't hear them breath. That's the way I like to use the ignore function. If I'm not replying to your stupid, taunting, trolling, mocking comments either think I can't read or I have rolled over and am playing dead. You're the one that looks foolish if you continue with the stupid, taunting, trolling, mocking comments.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    2 years ago

I totally agree TG. I do the same thing.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3  Greg Jones    2 years ago

I don't have the previous member on ignore but strive to not respond directly to her comments. But I might on occasion indirectly reference the points made, or lacking, in the comment.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Greg Jones @3    2 years ago

This is not about specific members. Only warning. 

Ender
Professor Principal
4  Ender    2 years ago

So basically the ignore function is a joke and useless.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @4    2 years ago

Or you could appeal to reason. Who's going to look foolish when they keep talking to a dead cow?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.2  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ender @4    2 years ago

No, it isn't. If you want to avoid looking at specific members' comments to you, it provides you with that. If you have a bigger issue with a member trolling you, then you need to speak to a mod. This is the way it functioned on NV and everyone managed. Here at least we have alternatives for consistent bad interactions.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.2.1  Ender  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.2    2 years ago

It provides a tool in which people can say whatever they want and not expect a comment in return.

I might as well take every one off.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.2.2  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ender @4.2.1    2 years ago

Look, personally, if I saw that you were not responding to me, I would get the message that I was talking to a brick wall. On the other hand, if someone is getting out of hand, then get a mod.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.2.3  Ender  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.2.2    2 years ago

So what is out of hand? It seems you are saying nothing is unless it is a personal insult.

You are giving people a green light.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.2.4  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ender @4.2.3    2 years ago
So what is out of hand? It seems you are saying nothing is unless it is a personal insult.

Not at all. If someone is purposely trolling your comments all the time, then please let us know.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.2.5  Ender  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.2.4    2 years ago

I have. Even people on ignore that know they are yet still commented to me.

Like I said, now they are given a green light to continue.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.3  devangelical  replied to  Ender @4    2 years ago

[deleted]

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.3.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @4.3    2 years ago

I shouldn't care. But sometimes they say some really hurtful things. And since I can see their responses to me in my private notes I still see what they say. I can't see who it is until I open the note. So I read it then pretend it doesn't bother me by running away

Ender
Professor Principal
4.3.2  Ender  replied to  devangelical @4.3    2 years ago

I have not been saying anything to someone that has me on ignore. I guess I can now and they can do nothing...

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.3.3  devangelical  replied to  Ender @4.3.2    2 years ago

it can't be a personal insult if the reply is a shotgun statement.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.3.4  Ender  replied to  devangelical @4.3.3    2 years ago

I think I am going to flood the one person that I know has me on ignore with comments.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.3.5  Raven Wing  replied to  devangelical @4.3    2 years ago
I couldn't care less what the white supremacist insurrection party members say to me or about me.

There are certain members here on NT that make comments that are not worthy of my time to read their self-aggrandizing and/or totally inane or hate garbage. 

I could care less what others think of my opinions or beliefs, or if they just don't like me. I'm not here on NT to win a popularity contest. I don't care if they know they are on Ignore or not, it is for me, not them. Their personal attacks at me are on them, not me. 

I'm sure I am on more than a few Ignore lists, and that is fine with me. It's their choice and it will not affect my being here, or what I think, feel or believe in any way. 

I respect the right of others to have their own opinions and/or beliefs and to learn from them, not to feed their egos or desperate cravings for attention.

That might not be the right way to use the Ignore function, but, for me, it works very well.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.3.6  devangelical  replied to  Raven Wing @4.3.5    2 years ago

you said it. DGAF engaged.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.3.7  Ender  replied to  devangelical @4.3.6    2 years ago

I am just going to tell every one to fuck off.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.3.8  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ender @4.3.7    2 years ago

That will not work out well for you. Please don't.

CB
Professor Principal
4.3.9  CB  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.3.1    2 years ago

TG, gurl, don't let it get you down. Just send me a PN and we can talk about pea-brains and pinheads until we both get tired. H A Never let them see us sweat, because zen-mode is available where you can see

BOZO_JPEG.jpg Bozo , and s/he is naked from the collar down!  Ewww. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.3.10  Trout Giggles  replied to  CB @4.3.9    2 years ago

You got it, Babe! :)

CB
Professor Principal
4.3.11  CB  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.3.10    2 years ago

jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.4  TᵢG  replied to  Ender @4    2 years ago

It has a purpose.    Here are two key situations where you might consider using IGNORE.

1. A member, in your opinion, produces such worthless commentary that you prefer to not see it anymore.   By ignoring this member you will not see their comments nor will you see their articles on the front page.   This allows you to customize the NT front page by factoring out members who routinely deliver crap (in your opinion).
  2. A member is engaging in obnoxious commentary with you (e.g. trolling) and you are simply sick of dealing with the member.   So instead of endlessly wasting your time with a member who will simply not STFU and will never listen to reason, you can place the member on IGNORE.   This is truly taking the high road because you are letting the member write whatever they want and you let it go without a response.   This may seem counterproductive but there are times when it is arguably better to just ignore people than waste your time with endless rebuttals.

I rarely have used IGNORE.   But I have used it in both of the above cases.   And I have never even hinted that the person was being ignored.

Key thing, as Perrie noted, is that IGNORE is not a weapon.   One cannot 'get back at' someone by placing them on IGNORE.   The IGNORE tool is for a member to make select members disappear from their experience at their choosing and for as long as they wish.   It is a Seinfeld 'Serenity Now' function, it is not a weapon.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.4.1  Ender  replied to  TᵢG @4.4    2 years ago

I never used it as a weapon. Other people would use it as a weapon themselves. To be able to say things to people knowing they are not going to respond.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.4.2  TᵢG  replied to  Ender @4.4.1    2 years ago
I never used it as a weapon.

I would be surprised if you did;  that is not your style.

Placing someone on ignore does indeed give malicious people the option to troll without recourse.   That is why Ignore is an option and Unignore is also an option.

The whole idea here is to provide tools to help members customize their experience to make the site more enjoyable.   This must be done while paying attention to the fact that literally any function provided to a social forum will be attempted to be used by some as a weapon.   A key example of this is flagging ... but the mods are there to buffer that.   Earlier, Perrie provided the ability to vote down comments but that was used as a weapon so it no longer is available.

On another site of which we are all familiar, groups would gang-bang articles to force them down.   Some people who cannot figure out how to deal with others with clever arguments resort to slimy weaponizing.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.4.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  TᵢG @4.4    2 years ago

There are those who have said right here in this article that placing someone on ignore means you don't want dissenting opinions. My reply to that is...why should I care about their opinions when they  don't give a flying Foxtrot about mine?

The people I place on ignore are worthless to me. They generally have nothing substantial to say except really, really idiotic stuff. What I need to do is when I open my private notes is just back out and continue on my merry way. I'm working on that.

And would please explain to people that just because someone has you on ignore, you can't always get away from their replies unless you totally disable your private notes. I don't want to do that. If I have a reply from a worthwhile person I want to read it

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.5  Sparty On  replied to  Ender @4    2 years ago

Ignore works fine if used as intended.    The joke started when people starting telling others they were on ignore.    Which is interesting because if they had you on ignore they wouldn’t see your comment in the first place.

The built in Mark 1 Mod 0 feature works great as well.    Just ignore posts and/or posters you can’t stand.    Problem fixed w/o any extra features.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.5.1  TᵢG  replied to  Sparty On @4.5    2 years ago
Which is interesting because if they had you on ignore they wouldn’t see your comment in the first place.

They still see the comment placeholder.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.5.2  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @4.5.1    2 years ago

But not the comment.   It seems to me you put someone on ignore to ignore them.    Not to respond to a comment you.can’t read.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.5.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Sparty On @4.5.2    2 years ago
It seems to me you put someone on ignore to ignore them.

Agreed. Don't know what all the "Mommy, Tommy is looking at me" type childish reaction to someone you have on ignore responding to a comment you made to someone else. It is called an opinion FFS Grow the hell up. This isn't, for the most part, grade school. At least for most of us.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.5.4  Sparty On  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.5.3    2 years ago

It is childish.   Like a child trying to control a parent with a temper tantrum

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.5.5  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sparty On @4.5.4    2 years ago

Jim and Sparty,

That is kind of confrontational. This is supposed to be a constructive dialog. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.5.6  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.5.5    2 years ago

Fairly apt description you must admit...........or not maybe? Sorry.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.5.7  Sparty On  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.5.5    2 years ago

Well, just calling it like I see it Perrie.   I’m sure some here might not like my opinion on the matter but nothing new there.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.5.8  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sparty On @4.5.7    2 years ago

Jim and Sparty,

I hear complaints from most of the members and they are usually about the other side of the political discussion. This article was meant to update the community, so that they know what is going on, and can't say we are not being transparent. It is not meant for this type of discussion. End of subject.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.5.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  TᵢG @4.5.1    2 years ago

And. In. The. Private. Notes.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.5.10  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.5.3    2 years ago

Maybe I don't want that person's opinion because

a) It's worthless

b) I dislike that person...intensely. Those are the ones I have on ignore. It's not because I don't want to listen to dissenting opinions

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.5.11  TᵢG  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.5.9    2 years ago

I am aware of that.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.5.12  TᵢG  replied to  Sparty On @4.5.2    2 years ago

The comment placeholder informs the ignorer that the ignoree has replied.   Thus the ignorer will know that a reply was made even though they cannot see the comment content.

Thus if someone is ignoring a member it is NOT surprising that they are aware that the ignoree is still replying to them.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.5.13  Trout Giggles  replied to  TᵢG @4.5.12    2 years ago

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out...even a fake engineer

Hallux
PhD Principal
5  Hallux    2 years ago

To mock, or not to mock: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous posters,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them?

Have a nice day Hal ...

Fuck you too Lux.

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.1  Hallux  replied to  Hallux @5    2 years ago

Trolling [Perrie Halpern R.A.] 

Wow, I can troll myself? Maybe I should give Magdalena the night off and self-flagellate. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Hallux @5.1    2 years ago

Names were mentioned... 

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.1.2  Hallux  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.1    2 years ago

Indeed, Hal and Lux, a.k.a Hallux.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1.3  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Hallux @5.1.2    2 years ago

Oh, I am sorry. I will restore! 

Ender
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Ender  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.3    2 years ago

Ok, this thread was funny.

Hahaha

(I thought what you did too though)

JBB
Professor Principal
6  JBB    2 years ago

I see an exponential increase of "Fuck Offs" coming.

Imagine telling school kids they can't say "fuck you", because that is offensive, but they can say "fuck off"...

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1  devangelical  replied to  JBB @6    2 years ago

I'm actually pretty excited about that.

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Ender  replied to  devangelical @6.1    2 years ago

That in itself might be a reason to stick around. There are several I want to say that to.

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Ender @6.1.1    2 years ago

meh, if and when I reply to certain individuals it's usually what I'm thinking...

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @6.1    2 years ago

[deleted]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.2  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JBB @6    2 years ago

Jbb,

I am glad you brought that up. Our CoC says:

While cursing and other potentially objectionable content is allowed within reason, it should be used as seasoning – as emphasis. Gratuitous profanity and other repugnant language that does not support the point of the comment or is over-used is prohibited.

So if we start seeing a flood of F offs from a member, they will be ticketed. Really it should be used rarely (no more than twice a week there about).

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.2.1  devangelical  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.2    2 years ago

... oh crap X 2.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.2    2 years ago

Now I know my limit. More useful information. lol

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.2.3  Dulay  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.2    2 years ago

How many points for a 3rd Fuck off in a week? 

BTW, I hope that the Fuck off in that sentence and this one don't count against the 2 I am allowed this week. 

squiggy
Junior Silent
6.2.4  squiggy  replied to  Dulay @6.2.3    2 years ago

[Deleted]

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.3  TᵢG  replied to  JBB @6    2 years ago

Yeah, to me 'Fuck Off' is over-the-top ... goes well past the limit of civil discourse.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.3.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  TᵢG @6.3    2 years ago

I tend to agree with you, but this is an old policy. If the group wants to vote to get rid of it, I will be glad to do so.

CB
Professor Principal
6.3.2  CB  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.3.1    2 years ago

Oh heaven's no! Just let 'em be real about their feelings. Because it will take an admission of feeling to tell some one to "F- off.' I, a feeler, have several times wanted to write the British equivalent "Piss off" just because it less pornographic. jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif   But we need one less rule around here to 'pull' the whole room together! Let "F-off" and feelings stay! That's my opinion.

JBB
Professor Principal
6.3.3  JBB  replied to  TᵢG @6.3    2 years ago

If "Fuck Off" isn't taunting/bullying explain the thirty eight comments I had removed in April...

Which seemed pretty capricious to my thinking.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.3.4  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.3.1    2 years ago
If the group wants to vote to get rid of it, I will be glad to do so.

I second TiG's motion.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.3.5  Sparty On  replied to  JBB @6.3.3    2 years ago

Wow .... we agree on something.

AMAZING!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.3.6  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sparty On @6.3.5    2 years ago

As I said to all of you, if you really want me to take it to a vote, I will. That is how we do things around here. I will follow this thread to see how that goes.

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.3.7  Dulay  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.3.6    2 years ago

If we're going to take a vote on that, why not on other CoC rules as was the prior practice? 

There are a couple of things I would like to be addressed and I'm sure I'm not the only one. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.3.8  devangelical  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.3.6    2 years ago

I vote in favor of unlimited fuck offs.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.3.9  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dulay @6.3.7    2 years ago

I'm fine with that.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.3.10  Sparty On  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.3.6    2 years ago

I really don’t care one way or the other but if we are going to vote, I’d vote against fuck off’s.    Nothing better than an occasional well placed FO but then who decides well placed and occasional?   That’s the rub.

You’re making more work for already overworked Mods.   It would turn into a clusterfuck for sure IMO but then again I think that is exactly what some people here want.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.3.11  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.3.9    2 years ago

If you take fuck off away from us..I want unlimited bugger offs. That's my favorite anyway

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.3.12  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.3.11    2 years ago

I like that too. Friend from New Zealand first introduced me to it. I think it means the same thing...............just a little bit more "crowd friendly" LOL

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.3.13  TᵢG  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.3.11    2 years ago

I like 'take a hike'.

Veronica
Professor Guide
6.3.14  Veronica  replied to  TᵢG @6.3.13    2 years ago

I want to be able to post the Peanuts teachers talking....

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.3.15  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.3.12    2 years ago

I've used it for centuries.

I told y'all you were talking to a dead cow

evilone
Professor Guide
6.3.16  evilone  replied to  TᵢG @6.3.13    2 years ago
I like 'take a hike'.

I like 'dumb ass', but it's against da rulz.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
6.3.17  Right Down the Center  replied to  TᵢG @6.3    2 years ago

How about va fangool or a fanabla ?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7  Trout Giggles    2 years ago

So we can really tell others to fuck off? I always thought that was verboten.

But good information.

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.1  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @7    2 years ago

yippee! it could be more fun than deleting some people. applying it in certain seeds/articles on the front page should be hilarious.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7.1.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  devangelical @7.1    2 years ago

OK guess please read here:  . I saw this one coming a mile away:

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7.1.1    2 years ago

just another paper airplane sailing in from the back row teacher.

charger 383
Professor Silent
8  charger 383    2 years ago

Perrie, Thanks for explaining and putting this out

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
8.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  charger 383 @8    2 years ago

Hey Charger, I was going to write this to all the mods, before posting this, but I figured you would all see this.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9  Texan1211    2 years ago

So I suppose grand announcements about who is on ignore are superfluous now?

devangelical
Professor Principal
9.1  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @9    2 years ago

... a drawer full of useless medals now.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @9.1    2 years ago
.. a drawer full of useless medals now.

Now as always.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.2  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @9    2 years ago
So I suppose grand announcements about who is on ignore are superfluous now?

Pretty much.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
10  Greg Jones    2 years ago

[deleted]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
11  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

[deleted]

devangelical
Professor Principal
11.1  devangelical  replied to  Sean Treacy @11    2 years ago

[deleted]

Ender
Professor Principal
12  Ender    2 years ago

So basically I can take everyone off ignore and tell them to fuck off.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
12.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ender @12    2 years ago

Again, read this comment:

Ender
Professor Principal
12.1.1  Ender  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @12.1    2 years ago

It would be worth it.

evilone
Professor Guide
13  evilone    2 years ago

There is far too much trolling on this site. Several people are here only for that purpose and openly admit it. Whatever... I'm never going to get satisfaction on this subject. 

What I would like to see is a total ban on the practice where a post auto-enrolls one in their little circle jerk group. It sort of defeats the purpose of groups and makes me less likely to participate. Well that and the constant partisan trolling. I can't for the life of me figure why that's fun...

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
13.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  evilone @13    2 years ago
the practice where a post auto-enrolls one in their little circle jerk group. It sort of defeats the purpose of groups and makes me less likely to participate.

I don't understand why belonging to a group would cause that much angst. After "joining" by commenting, you can always click on the "leave group" key on the group page............

evilone
Professor Guide
13.1.1  evilone  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @13.1    2 years ago
I don't understand why belonging to a group would cause that much angst. After "joining" by commenting, you can always click on the "leave group" key on the group page............

Then what's the point of having that option?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
13.1.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  evilone @13.1.1    2 years ago
Then what's the point of having that option?

Do you honestly think that people judge you by the groups you may be a member of? 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
13.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @13.1    2 years ago

Because then you have to do that every time. Auto enroll is a coward's way of upping his group membership. It also gives the group owner a tool to actually block the auto enrollee. Who wants to make a comment, get enrolled in a group they don't want to be a member of then end up getting blocked so you can never make comments?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
13.1.4  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Trout Giggles @13.1.3    2 years ago

I just don't get why belonging to an anonymous, online, blog group membership is such a big deal.........sorry. And I got booted out of one of yours evidently but it bothers me not. Half my comments got/get deleted any way.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
13.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @13.1.4    2 years ago

Because I don't wish to be a member of certain groups

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
13.1.6  Right Down the Center  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @13.1.2    2 years ago

Holy cow. I just checked for the first time and found I was a member of 7 groups. I must have done something to join, now I have to figure how to unjoin.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
13.1.7  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Right Down the Center @13.1.6    2 years ago

So about auto-enroll, there is no benefit to getting members, so this is not the reason why it is there. It is just so that if you see an article in another group, you can respond easily. Also, articles make it easy to see what group the article is in (it's at the top of every article which group is sponsoring the article).

Now that being said you can leave any group by doing this. 

Go to your personal page and click on the group you want to leave and pick the option. "leave group".

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
13.1.8  Right Down the Center  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @13.1.7    2 years ago

Thanks. Time to call it a day, I learned something. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
13.1.9  devangelical  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @13.1.2    2 years ago
Do you honestly think that people judge you by the groups you may be a member of? 

I'd say it's a pretty good indication of the person you're conversing with...

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
13.1.10  Right Down the Center  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @13.1    2 years ago
I don't understand why belonging to a group would cause that much angst.

Actually I pretty much feel that way about the whole ignore thing.  They are words from anonymous people that are causing so much angst.  I am not sure how that can upset someone unless they let it. 

CB
Professor Principal
13.1.11  CB  replied to  Right Down the Center @13.1.10    2 years ago

Words have power. "H" even being ignored is snobbish. And of course we all wish to believe we matter for our 'deliveries.' Don't kid yourselves, we all learn something through being here. We 'rub' off on each other. And frankly, we don't tell each other that often enough. A type of definition for insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Nobody here is truly insane, though there are 'bit parts' being played here and there. :)

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
13.1.12  Right Down the Center  replied to  CB @13.1.11    2 years ago
We 'rub' off on each other.

That explains the itchiness I get sometimes.  I was concerned it was bed bugs

pat wilson
Professor Participates
13.2  pat wilson  replied to  evilone @13    2 years ago
the practice where a post auto-enrolls

That is the cheesiest thing. Kind of a sign of desperation IMO.

CB
Professor Principal
13.3  CB  replied to  evilone @13    2 years ago

We have to be bigger, stronger, and better users of this space provided us. Why? Because it is a percentage of our day for the regulars and semi-regulars "routine." I 'auto-enroll' people into my little vestibules and was 'horrified' when one or several PNs arrived explaining they were "getting on with their lives" and then I remembered something. . . I don't own these people or their time. Moreover, entering a group or exiting one is not personal, it's more of a reaction.

Hey, I love my friend's list, but I am mentally and emotionally prepared to gain and lose the connection at-will of the holder.

That's how I keep my perspective here. Don't get me wrong, I feel a lot here. And I am open and honest about all of that. But, once or twice, moi was 'booted' by a conservative or two from their 'hallow halls' - well, it stung for a moment and I might have needed a moment, but then I put myself and my "hmph" back together and charged right back in there, claimed my 'seat' and started sharing again!

It's been "peaches" every since.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13.4  TᵢG  replied to  evilone @13    2 years ago

You can IGNORE an entire group.   Just go to the Group and select the Ignore function from the Group Menu.

So if you do not want to get sucked into a group, ignore the group.

If you do not want to get sucked into articles of a member, ignore the member.

devangelical
Professor Principal
13.4.1  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @13.4    2 years ago

I use the group ignore. it works great. thanks TiG!

evilone
Professor Guide
13.4.2  evilone  replied to  TᵢG @13.4    2 years ago

Totally misses my point, but yes - I have, and will continue to, put groups on IGNORE. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
13.4.3  Dulay  replied to  TᵢG @13.4    2 years ago

The group ignore function has cleaned up my FP quite nicely. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
13.4.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @13.4.1    2 years ago

Me, too!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
13.4.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Dulay @13.4.3    2 years ago

[deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
13.4.6  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @13.4.5    2 years ago

[deleted]

Hallux
PhD Principal
14  Hallux    2 years ago

Trolling Perrie's pussy ... @!@

Hallux
PhD Principal
14.1  Hallux  replied to  Hallux @14    2 years ago

... and now Ricky would like a word with TPTB:

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
14.2  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Hallux @14    2 years ago

LMAO!

Veronica
Professor Guide
15  Veronica    2 years ago
The ignore function was designed to allow people to hide undesirable comments from their view.

HOWEVER, this is not true since the comment ends up in your private notes where you have to OPEN it to see who responded to you so you end up seeing it anyway.  But whatever, trolls will continue to troll because they are allowed to do so.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
15.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Veronica @15    2 years ago

That's what I have tried to explain to certain people but they seem to be dense. They wish to have unfettered access to those they like to torture and see if they can make the tortured lose their shit, have a nuclear meltdown, then get booted for a few days or forever

Veronica
Professor Guide
15.1.1  Veronica  replied to  Trout Giggles @15.1    2 years ago
That's what I have tried to explain to certain people but they seem to be dense.

If you recall I had that debate with someone on your behalf - after awhile I just let it go because he was never going to admit he was wrong and that responding to you was childish when he knew you had him on ignore.  BUT - nothing happened to him for all the things he said about you and I flagged.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
15.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Veronica @15.1.1    2 years ago

I remember. Let's just put down as one as the truly stupid. But if he says anything to me again he's getting a fuck off

Veronica
Professor Guide
15.1.3  Veronica  replied to  Trout Giggles @15.1.2    2 years ago

Yep - I don't blame you at all.  Save up our 1 to 2 a week.

Ender
Professor Principal
15.1.4  Ender  replied to  Veronica @15.1.3    2 years ago

I am going to use more than that. Tickets be damned.

Veronica
Professor Guide
15.1.5  Veronica  replied to  Ender @15.1.4    2 years ago

Sometimes we have to be extreme - since it seems "discussion" is not important.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
15.1.6  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ender @15.1.4    2 years ago
I am going to use more than that. Tickets be damned.

Don't get mad at me if you end up in trouble.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
15.1.7  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Veronica @15.1.5    2 years ago

The discussion is important, hence why we do so much moderation.

devangelical
Professor Principal
15.1.8  devangelical  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @15.1.6    2 years ago

I think 2 fuck offs per seed/article is a reasonable compromise, don't you?

Veronica
Professor Guide
15.1.9  Veronica  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @15.1.7    2 years ago

If discussion was the important thing, then trolls would be dealt with.   They are nothing more than stalkers you are giving a platform to.

Ender
Professor Principal
15.1.10  Ender  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @15.1.6    2 years ago

It seems people being mad is the reason for this change.

CB
Professor Principal
15.1.11  CB  replied to  Veronica @15.1.3    2 years ago

Girl power activate!  Just picture ugly 'monsters' naked. . .and laugh at those nether regions!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
15.1.12  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Veronica @15.1.9    2 years ago
If discussion was the important thing, then trolls would be dealt with.   They are nothing more than stalkers you are giving a platform to.

Veronica, do I need to post how many tickets we give out in a given day? Would that show we are trying to do our best?

Veronica
Professor Guide
15.1.13  Veronica  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @15.1.12    2 years ago

My point is that if you truly want to foster "discussion" you would oust those that are only here to troll.  And you know who they are.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
15.1.14  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Veronica @15.1.13    2 years ago

Veronica, this might come as a surprise, but I bet that some of those would give me the same advice about people you like. 

That is the problem here. It goes both ways.

And while I agree that there are some individuals that I personally feel are no benefit to the site, how do I know that is not just my bias?

So I wait until something that is ban-worthy happens.... and usually, it does.

Veronica
Professor Guide
15.1.15  Veronica  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @15.1.14    2 years ago
but I bet that some of those would give me the same advice about people you like. 

And if those people were just here trolling and offered NOTHING in the way of a real adult discussion then I would say ban them.  If the only reason they are here is to troll (and it is obvious to all) and they are allowed the platform you will never have a forum that fosters discussion.  I believe that many here respond like to like.  So discussion is over.... it is strictly tit for tat - insult for insult - fuck offs to fuck offs... so what is the point???

AND that is way I do not partake in many discussions anymore - it is useless.

CB
Professor Principal
15.1.16  CB  replied to  Veronica @15.1.15    2 years ago

Actually, I will admit to the trolling aspect is VERY damaging to site morale. And as I stated above somewhere, we come here for our own reasons-even dare I say, "refreshing."  Or, to mix things up. Yet, always with intentions of being better off at the end of it all.

Some people are in here just to 'mess all that up.' The chaos players. And yes, it would benefit the site if "management" pulls them out of the line-up (even if it is me) and check them or explain a little "something-something" about how this is going to go.

Because before I went through the gantlet once or twice, I'll admit it was getting tedious. But, "he persisted." :) :) :) 

And now I don't see trolls the way trolls see themselves.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
15.1.17  al Jizzerror  replied to  Trout Giggles @15.1.2    2 years ago

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
15.1.18  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Veronica @15.1.15    2 years ago

Veronica,

I agree that I would like better discussions. I just made a post describing better discussion methods. Also, we have members who know how to write a good post and do sometimes and then go off the rails. I try to keep them in line when they go off the rails. Right now I only have a handful of members that are sporadic that I am watching for banning, but I dislike banning and do not take the act lightly, since NT was started over unfair banning.  

Veronica
Professor Guide
15.1.19  Veronica  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @15.1.18    2 years ago

I do understand your position.  I am at the point where I rarely involve myself in  discussions and stick mainly to the lighter side.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
15.1.20  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Veronica @15.1.19    2 years ago

I am sorry to hear that. I do manage to engage in discussions that are fairly constructive. I am careful who I talk to though.

Veronica
Professor Guide
15.1.21  Veronica  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @15.1.20    2 years ago

I figured out a while ago the needless taunts and trolling added stress to an already stressful time - so I removed myself from most discussions and ignored most of the gnats.  I rarely engage anymore.  Mainly my responses to certain individuals are now only when they are being completely obtuse.  And they are doing it on purpose to annoy another member.  I can't deal with shit like that.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
15.1.22  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @15.1    2 years ago
"That's what I have tried to explain to certain people but they seem to be dense. They wish to have unfettered access to those they like to torture and see if they can make the tortured lose their shit, have a nuclear meltdown, then get booted for a few days or forever"

Happens to me constantly!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
15.1.23  Tessylo  replied to  Veronica @15.1.9    2 years ago
"If discussion was the important thing, then trolls would be dealt with.   They are nothing more than stalkers"

AGAIN, Happens to me ALL THE TIME!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
15.1.24  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @15.1.14    2 years ago

Anybody who thinks Veronica is a troll has a screw loose

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
15.1.25  Trout Giggles  replied to  Veronica @15.1.21    2 years ago

Newstalkers should be a place of fun not add stress to an already stressful person. I don't blame you for limiting yourself these days

Veronica
Professor Guide
15.1.26  Veronica  replied to  Trout Giggles @15.1.25    2 years ago
Newstalkers should be a place of fun

That's what I think and also somewhere that I can learn new stuff.  Kavika teaches me a lot.... If the most of the discussions here were actually discussions and not hit & run pieces I would participate more.  When I first joined I talked to a lot of people that I did not agree with, but we had discussions and exchanged ideas, not insults.  I don't find that anymore.

CB
Professor Principal
15.1.27  CB  replied to  Veronica @15.1.26    2 years ago

It's because it's 'vogue' now (thank Trump) to concede no ground and 99.99 percent of the time 'never' apologize for error in judgement, remark, or position. Thus, some of our members are as wrong as two left shoes and they wear the shoes all day long—every day.

Veronica
Professor Guide
15.1.28  Veronica  replied to  CB @15.1.27    2 years ago

Such a sad situation.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
15.2  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Veronica @15    2 years ago

Veronica,

You can turn off notifications of comments if you don't want to see them. Here is how:

Go to your personal page and hit the gear icon in the upper right. You will see a tab that says "Notifications". Then hit disable all notifications. 

Veronica
Professor Guide
15.2.1  Veronica  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @15.2    2 years ago

Right, then I don't know when someone I am actually having a discussion with replies to me.  I don't know about others here, but I don't have the time to go through all the comments and articles to see if I got a reply from someone I actually want to talk to.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
15.2.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Veronica @15.2.1    2 years ago

Your tracker shows who's replying to you.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
15.2.3  Split Personality  replied to  Veronica @15.2.1    2 years ago

The Tracker shows who responded to you in red text

devangelical
Professor Principal
15.2.4  devangelical  replied to  Split Personality @15.2.3    2 years ago

where does it show who flagged me?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
15.2.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @15.2.4    2 years ago
where does it show who flagged me?

Good to know but until then, know that I will never flag you.

Veronica
Professor Guide
15.2.6  Veronica  replied to  sandy-2021492 @15.2.2    2 years ago

Yep & you still see their comment.  Maybe it is time to expect people to behave like the adults they are supposed to be here instead of catering to trolls in the name of being unbiased.

Veronica
Professor Guide
15.2.7  Veronica  replied to  Split Personality @15.2.3    2 years ago

Yep & you still see the comment.  I have chosen to take the higher road than the trolls & just delete the notes without going to the thread to check the comment.  My point is that the continual allowances of trolling has made adult discussion impossible.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
15.2.8  sandy-2021492  replied to  Veronica @15.2.6    2 years ago

I don't believe you see the comments of those you have on ignore in your tracker.  Just those who aren't on ignore, but who have commented on the same article as you, with replies directly to you specified as "replied" in red ink.

Note that your tracker is not a notification sent of a reply via private message.  The "Track" tab at the top of the page shows all new comments.  You can change your settings so you don't get a notification of new comments via private message.

Veronica
Professor Guide
15.2.9  Veronica  replied to  sandy-2021492 @15.2.8    2 years ago

Since it was the first time I went to the track section I did not know if ignored people's comments were visible.  Thank you for the information.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
15.2.10  sandy-2021492  replied to  sandy-2021492 @15.2.8    2 years ago

All right, folks, correct me if I'm wrong.  I don't have anybody on ignore.  But I'm fairly sure that the ignore function works such that, if you use the tracker function accessed by the tab at the top of the page, the only comments that will show up on your list are from people whom you are not ignoring.  Is this correct?

Ender
Professor Principal
15.2.11  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @15.2.10    2 years ago

The tracker shows all comments on an article instead of just comments directed to you.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
15.2.12  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @15.2.11    2 years ago

Yes, but does it show comments from people you have on ignore?  What I'm getting at is, if you change your settings so that you don't get notifications via PN when there's a new comment, then you won't know that somebody you have on ignore has responded to you, but you can still keep up with the conversation via the tracker.

Ender
Professor Principal
15.2.13  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @15.2.12    2 years ago

I don't use the tracker. I am not necessarily interested in other comments. If I am, I just read the thread itself.

I don't want to have to look through all the comments to see if someone replied.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
15.2.14  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @15.2.13    2 years ago

I was addressing Veronica's comment about not being able to follow discussions without getting notifications of new comments and replies.  We can, via the tracker.  We can turn of those notifications, still follow the discussion (if we choose), and not have to see comments from people we have on ignore.  Best of both worlds.  It works like the old Newsvine tracker, but better, cuz TiG's da bomb.  If you're only interested in seeing direct replies to your comments, those are in red ink and say "replied", so they're easy to find.  If you like, you can just click on those and disregard the rest.

Ender
Professor Principal
15.2.15  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @15.2.14    2 years ago

So the choice seems to be no choice. Either deal with it or don't.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
15.2.16  Raven Wing  replied to  Ender @15.2.13    2 years ago
I don't use the tracker.

Neither do I. Not necessary, as I don't comment that much and I check the comments I do make in My Comments for responses to them. Saves time and lets me answer those responses in a timely manner. 

Ender
Professor Principal
15.2.17  Ender  replied to  Raven Wing @15.2.16    2 years ago

I only used it when I seeded an article to see if people commented on it.

I don't seed anymore though so it remains unused.

CB
Professor Principal
15.2.18  CB  replied to  devangelical @15.2.4    2 years ago

HA! (Uh-oh, you're so transactional.)

CB
Professor Principal
15.2.19  CB  replied to  sandy-2021492 @15.2.14    2 years ago

I use the "Tracker" function all day long. My problem for this question is I have no one on "ignore." Sandy, I will put you on ignore for the immediate test. Can you comment back and I will tell you if it comes up in my tracker.

Ender
Professor Principal
15.2.20  Ender  replied to  CB @15.2.19    2 years ago

You can try with me.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
15.2.21  sandy-2021492  replied to  CB @15.2.19    2 years ago

Yooohoooo, CB, can you hear me?

Ender
Professor Principal
15.2.22  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @15.2.21    2 years ago

Is he doing it yet?

CB
Professor Principal
15.2.23  CB  replied to  Ender @15.2.22    2 years ago

Yes Ender, I am putting you on Ignore now. For test purposes.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
15.2.24  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @15.2.22    2 years ago

He has, and reports that my comment did not show on his tracker.

Ender
Professor Principal
15.2.25  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @15.2.24    2 years ago

Test number two.

Ender
Professor Principal
15.2.26  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @15.2.24    2 years ago

I hope there is a piece of cheese at the end of this maze.

CB
Professor Principal
15.2.27  CB  replied to  sandy-2021492 @15.2.24    2 years ago

The tracker is 'DA BOMB'!  Cheers to TiG! (Thank you for all you do, TiG. And thank you to our strong mods who have to read way more comments than I do and take the 'hits'!)

Ender
Professor Principal
15.2.28  Ender  replied to  Ender @15.2.26    2 years ago

Well, it works.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
15.2.29  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @15.2.26    2 years ago

I just bought some Tillamook pepper jack.  I had no idea how delicious the stuff is until now.  So, yes, there's cheese, but only for me.  I'm not sharing.

Ender
Professor Principal
15.2.30  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @15.2.29    2 years ago

Come on, you know I can whine.

Wait.....wine.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
15.2.31  TᵢG  replied to  Ender @15.2.13    2 years ago

??

TᵢG
Professor Principal
15.2.32  TᵢG  replied to  Ender @15.2.11    2 years ago

It shows all comments on an article that came after you first commented.   You have the option to discard all comments from an article when you desire.   When you do that, only new comments on that article will post in your tracker.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
15.2.33  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @15.2.30    2 years ago

LOL!  Ok, maybe a bite.  

Ender
Professor Principal
15.2.34  Ender  replied to  TᵢG @15.2.32    2 years ago

I have used it and I think it is a great tool. I just used it for articles I seeded to keep track.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
15.2.35  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @15.2.12    2 years ago
Yes, but does it show comments from people you have on ignore?

No

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
15.2.36  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @15.2.35    2 years ago

Thank you.  That's what I wanted to demonstrate.  Using the tracker instead of Private Note notifications allows one to easily follow a discussion without seeing comments from those one has on ignore.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
15.2.37  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @15.2.4    2 years ago
"where does it show who flagged me?"

I'd like to know that because it seems that certain members here FLAG EVERY SINGLE ONE OF MY POSTS NO MATTER WHAT.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
15.2.38  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @15.2.37    2 years ago
certain members here FLAG EVERY SINGLE ONE OF MY POSTS NO MATTER WHAT.

I have never flagged yours or any others post.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
15.2.39  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @15.2.37    2 years ago

Are you kidding? There were a minimum of 24 flags on your seed this morning out of 50 comments and I am sure we can all discern where they came from.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
15.2.40  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @15.2.37    2 years ago

[deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
15.2.41  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @15.2.39    2 years ago

(deleted)

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
15.2.42  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @15.2.41    2 years ago

Sorry but the aforementioned were the objects subjected to the flags. Everyone pretty much but you.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
15.2.44  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @15.2.3    2 years ago

tracker?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
15.2.45  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @15.2.41    2 years ago

Good call.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
15.2.46  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @15.2.36    2 years ago

This is great! Now I have a solution! Thanks, Sandy and Tig!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
15.2.47  Trout Giggles  replied to  Trout Giggles @15.2.46    2 years ago

I just slapped myself in the noggin

I have used the tracker. Duh. Now I'm turning off all my PNs.

devangelical
Professor Principal
15.2.48  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @15.2.47    2 years ago

you can block people from sending you PN's too.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
15.2.49  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @15.2.48    2 years ago

I've got all my notifications disables. So I won't be getting PNs from anyone

TᵢG
Professor Principal
15.3  TᵢG  replied to  Veronica @15    2 years ago

You can turn off notifications of replies to private notes and just use the Tracker.   The private notes stuff is legacy functionality we inherited from the platform.   The tracker was purposely designed for NT members.    If you have ignored a member, their comments do not appear on your tracker.

Veronica
Professor Guide
15.3.1  Veronica  replied to  TᵢG @15.3    2 years ago

And then I don't see when people reply to me in group discussions like Herding Cats.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
15.3.2  TᵢG  replied to  Veronica @15.3.1    2 years ago

Why not?   The reply will come to your tracker.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
15.3.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  TᵢG @15.3.2    2 years ago

I think Veronica means on the discussion wall for the group's page, rather than in seeds or articles.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
15.3.4  TᵢG  replied to  sandy-2021492 @15.3.3    2 years ago

Okay, then I understand.    Never saw that as something suitable for tracking.

Ender
Professor Principal
15.3.5  Ender  replied to  TᵢG @15.3    2 years ago

I am spoiled by the private notes thing. I have it set just for incoming comments.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
15.3.6  TᵢG  replied to  Ender @15.3.5    2 years ago

I am mystified.   What does the private notes offer that the tracker does not?

Other than, for example, tracking comments on a group's wall.

Ender
Professor Principal
15.3.7  Ender  replied to  TᵢG @15.3.6    2 years ago

I get replies directed to me. I can read the reply and go to the seed if I choose.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
15.3.8  TᵢG  replied to  Ender @15.3.7    2 years ago

Given the tracker does that too, I am not comprehending.  My guess is that it is simply personal preference.

Ender
Professor Principal
15.3.9  Ender  replied to  TᵢG @15.3.8    2 years ago

I think I just got use to it.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
16  JohnRussell    2 years ago

You want to do something positive for your forum Perrie?  Write an article making it clear that trolling is not tolerated. 

The incessant trolling is by far the biggest problem here. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
16.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @16    2 years ago

It is also a matter of opinion in a lot of cases. Some people call trolling when they don't like the comment. That's what mods are for. To make that determination.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
16.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @16.1    2 years ago

You know there are trolls. The ones who keep asking the same stupid question over and over or the one who displays obtuseness when he knows he's lost the argument. Then there are those who spout nothing more than a simplistic "liberals are dumb" or say the same thing every...fucking...day. They never have anything new to say and say it to the same people every day. Also don't know when to quit when they know they've lost.

Then there's the cut and pasters. Express a thought once in a while, please.

Veronica
Professor Guide
16.1.2  Veronica  replied to  Trout Giggles @16.1.1    2 years ago
They never have anything new to say and say it to the same people every day. Also don't know when to quit when they know they've lost.

They are the ones that do not want to discuss anything.  They simply want to troll and ruin any chance of true discussion here.  They have ruined it for all of us & have made it so in order to keep a foot hold some of us have resorted to their levels.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
16.1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @16.1    2 years ago

When someone asks, time after time for "proof" , when the other person is clearly giving their opinion, that is trolling. Or when the "proof" has been given ten times already. I have had trolls ask me for proof of something I have already posted a half dozen or more times.  Dont be lazy, if someone says something to you that seems incomplete, then look it up yourself.  I have seen people ask for "proof' of something that could be looked up in five seconds through an internet search. 

Trolls, we are not here to amuse you. 

And asking questions. This is an opinion site, give your opinions about the topics , if you can manage that, dont ask 50 questions as if you are going to "gotcha" someone who knows more about the topic than you do. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
16.1.4  pat wilson  replied to  JohnRussell @16.1.3    2 years ago
50 questions

Yes, incessant questions from a questioner who already knows the answers, really tiresome trolling.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
16.1.5  al Jizzerror  replied to  JohnRussell @16.1.3    2 years ago

jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Dulay
Professor Expert
16.2  Dulay  replied to  JohnRussell @16    2 years ago
You want to do something positive for your forum Perrie? 

You want to do something positive for the forum John? 

Start flagging off topic comments, trolling and personal attacks in your own seeds. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
16.2.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Dulay @16.2    2 years ago

Are you trolling me? 

devangelical
Professor Principal
16.2.2  devangelical  replied to  JohnRussell @16.2.1    2 years ago

if he is, he's got nothing to worry about now...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
16.2.3  JohnRussell  replied to  devangelical @16.2.2    2 years ago

i think he is a she

Dulay
Professor Expert
16.2.4  Dulay  replied to  JohnRussell @16.2.1    2 years ago

If you think my comment qualifies as trolling, you don't actually know what trolling is. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
16.2.5  JohnRussell  replied to  Dulay @16.2.4    2 years ago

I was being sarcastic, although your repeated saying that to me after we have discussed the subject numerous times is a wonderment. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
16.2.6  Split Personality  replied to  JohnRussell @16.2.1    2 years ago

Two things.

A:     Dulay's opinion is correct in my opinion.

B:     It is bad form to flag her comment, then respond to her.

devangelical
Professor Principal
16.2.7  devangelical  replied to  Dulay @16.2.4    2 years ago

my apologies to referring to you as a he. the name always throws me for some reason and I keep forgetting since you're such a major bad ass here. crap, now I have to apologize to all the other women here for that unintended misogynistic comment. man, reaching puberty in the 60's sucked.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
16.2.8  JohnRussell  replied to  Split Personality @16.2.6    2 years ago
 It is bad form to flag her comment, then respond to her.

I was just doing what she asked me to do. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
16.2.9  sandy-2021492  replied to  JohnRussell @16.2.8    2 years ago

You're not, actually.  Dulay isn't trolling.  Quite a few of the comments you flag as trolling aren't actually trolling comments.  Pretty often, they're comments that just express disagreement with your position, from someone you don't like.  That's not trolling.

Oddly enough, at the same time, you will allow comments that are blatantly off topic, and even respond to those comments, only to complain later that they're off topic and throw a tantrum about the mess YOU allowed, aided, and abetted on your seed.  That's usually when you blame the mods for not flagging and ticketing what YOU should have been flagging.  Well, then, and when you flag comments that express disagreement.  That leaves Perrie and the mods either cleaning up a huge mess that's been piling up all day, or dealing with your bitching over the results of YOU not doing YOUR job.

Any other time, you're complaining that the site is overmoderated.  Either way, there's no way the moderators can make you happy.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
16.2.10  JohnRussell  replied to  sandy-2021492 @16.2.9    2 years ago

Asking someone incessant highly repetitive questions is trolling. If you dont understand that you should resign as a moderator.  Same thing for someone constantly asking for proof of things that have already been demonstrated. 

Or maybe you think these people just dont have any social skills. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
16.2.11  JohnRussell  replied to  sandy-2021492 @16.2.9    2 years ago
Quite a few of the comments you flag as trolling aren't actually trolling comments.  Pretty often, they're comments that just express disagreement with your position, from someone you don't like.  That's not trolling.

Are you listening Dulay? This is one reason I dont flag very much. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
16.2.12  sandy-2021492  replied to  JohnRussell @16.2.10    2 years ago
Asking someone incessant highly repetitive questions is trolling.

Except that's not what I said, is it?  I'm talking about you flagging people whom you don't like and who disagree with you as trolling.  Not asking repetitive questions.  Not asking for proof of opinions.  Just expressing disagreement.  I see the stuff you flag, and I see the stuff you allow.

If you dont understand that you should resign as a moderator.

No, John, you repeatedly demonstrate that YOU don't understand.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
16.2.13  sandy-2021492  replied to  JohnRussell @16.2.11    2 years ago
Are you listening Dulay? This is one reason I dont flag very much.

You flag inappropriately.  You flag non-trolling comments as trolling, and get pissed when the mods don't chase down actual trolls for you.

Dulay
Professor Expert
16.2.14  Dulay  replied to  JohnRussell @16.2.8    2 years ago

First of all, I didn't ask you to do anything. 

Secondly, this isn't your seed. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
16.2.15  devangelical  replied to  sandy-2021492 @16.2.13    2 years ago

sorry, I'm too lazy to hunt down a beating a dead horse meme to post here.

Dulay
Professor Expert
16.2.16  Dulay  replied to  JohnRussell @16.2.11    2 years ago
Are you listening Dulay?

Yes, why aren't you? 

This is one reason I dont flag very much. 

The issue seems to be that you flag the wrong things and give the wrong things a pass. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
16.2.17  Dulay  replied to  devangelical @16.2.7    2 years ago
my apologies to referring to you as a he.

I get called 'Sir' in the real world all the time dev.

the name always throws me for some reason and I keep forgetting since you're such a major bad ass here.

Most assume that I am male for that very reason. I'm happy to eviscerate the stereotype. 

crap, now I have to apologize to all the other women here for that unintended misogynistic comment.

Bad dev.

man, reaching puberty in the 60's sucked.

70's weren't much better. 

Veronica
Professor Guide
16.2.18  Veronica  replied to  devangelical @16.2.15    2 years ago

8jd4y.jpg

devangelical
Professor Principal
16.2.19  devangelical  replied to  Dulay @16.2.17    2 years ago
70's weren't much better.

tell me about it.

Ender
Professor Principal
16.2.20  Ender  replied to  devangelical @16.2.19    2 years ago

Hey, the seventies were great for me. Getting on my bike and going anywhere I wanted with no parental oversight...Haha

Dulay
Professor Expert
16.2.21  Dulay  replied to  Ender @16.2.20    2 years ago

Bought myself a bike in the summer of 70, an sexy Italian 10 speed. Left the house a 7 am, came home at curfew, 11 pm on the weekend. Hit Fullerton beach on Lake Michigan. Northside high schools had their own territories along the lake in Chicago. Got in plenty of trouble...

devangelical
Professor Principal
16.2.22  devangelical  replied to  Veronica @16.2.18    2 years ago

ha ha ha, thanks V...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
16.2.23  JohnRussell  replied to  sandy-2021492 @16.2.12    2 years ago

If you have everything under control , why is there so much trolling on this forum?  I am not the only one who says that. 

You dont know what trolling is.  You think because someone asked you to be a moderator that makes you an authority on trolling. lol. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
16.2.24  Split Personality  replied to  JohnRussell @16.2.5    2 years ago

Fail.

The request was to flag comments on your own seeds and articles.

This isn't your article

and the request wasn't a 'personal insult' as you claimed.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
16.2.25  JohnRussell  replied to  Split Personality @16.2.24    2 years ago

You dont understand the satirical nature of what I was doing dude. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
16.2.26  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  sandy-2021492 @16.2.12    2 years ago

Why isn’t this Meta?  Not trying to be critical, just to understand the rules here.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
16.2.27  Split Personality  replied to  JohnRussell @16.2.25    2 years ago

I guess without the sarc tag you failed to convey sarcasm also.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
16.2.28  sandy-2021492  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @16.2.26    2 years ago

It is meta, but since it's in a group devoted to meta, it's allowed.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
16.2.29  sandy-2021492  replied to  JohnRussell @16.2.23    2 years ago
If you have everything under control , why is there so much trolling on this forum?

You won't flag it, for one.  You've announced your opposition to flagging it, and announced that you think I should be flagging it for you as well as doing my actual puts-food-on-the-table job.  Why?  Reasons, apparently.  You demand that I do what you refuse to do.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
16.2.30  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Split Personality @16.2.6    2 years ago
"It is bad form to flag her comment, then respond to her."

I've been told by Perrie that once I responded to a comment that I had flagged, then it is as if I had cancelled the flag so it will not be responded to.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
16.2.31  JohnRussell  replied to  sandy-2021492 @16.2.29    2 years ago

You just told me I dont know what trolling is and you dont delete the comments I flag. 

Why would I flag? 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
16.2.32  Split Personality  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @16.2.30    2 years ago

That was the result here also.

Ender
Professor Principal
16.2.33  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @16.2.30    2 years ago

That is the way I always took it. If you flag someone you can't respond to them.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
16.2.34  sandy-2021492  replied to  JohnRussell @16.2.31    2 years ago
You just told me I dont know what trolling is and you dont delete the comments I flag.  Why would I flag? 

I delete the ones that are actual trolling.  I don't delete the ones that are disagreement that you choose to see as trolling.

Dulay
Professor Expert
16.2.35  Dulay  replied to  JohnRussell @16.2.25    2 years ago

Was your 'personal insult' flag satirical too? 

devangelical
Professor Principal
16.2.36  devangelical  replied to  JohnRussell @16.2.31    2 years ago
You just told me I dont know what trolling is and you dont delete the comments I flag.

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
16.2.37  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @16.2.7    2 years ago
now I have to apologize to all the other women here for that unintended misogynistic comment.

tap...tap...tap....

devangelical
Professor Principal
16.2.38  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @16.2.37    2 years ago

... except you.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
16.2.39  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @16.2.38    2 years ago

jrSmiley_124_smiley_image.gif

devangelical
Professor Principal
16.2.40  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @16.2.39    2 years ago

just kidding. I think most of the women here I call friends are bad asses. there's even a few that I'm afraid of, because of their masterful take downs.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
16.2.41  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @16.2.40    2 years ago

"just kidding. I think most of the women here I call friends are bad asses. there's even a few that I'm afraid of, because of their masterful take downs."

I remember back in high school one of the jocks - he was a little guy but a real big dickhead - who constantly gave me a hard time and started to insult me one day - said something about a fire at a whorehouse the night before - before he could finish I said - 'yeah, I heard you lost your mom in that fire' and the other jocks burst out laughing.  One of them said 'man, she took you out before you could even get started'

LOL!!!!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
16.3  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @16    2 years ago

I agree.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
16.3.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  TᵢG @16.3    2 years ago

Trolling and worthless comments. I would much rather have a vicious debate... even if a little heated (not hot), but one that had actual content.

Dulay
Professor Expert
16.3.2  Dulay  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @16.3.1    2 years ago

Perhaps if trolling was treated like taunting and received points for violations, it would curb some of the abuse. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
16.3.3  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dulay @16.3.2    2 years ago

Something we can add to the list to vote on. I am taking note.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
16.4  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @16    2 years ago

I don't see any humor in it, do you?

Dulay
Professor Expert
16.4.1  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @16.4    2 years ago

[deleted]

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
16.4.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Dulay @16.4.1    2 years ago

[deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
16.4.3  Tessylo  replied to  Dulay @16.4.1    2 years ago

[deleted]

Hallux
PhD Principal
17  Hallux    2 years ago

... and another pettish peeve, this emporium has so many fuckin' unprincipled Professors Principle you'd think it was fuckin' Trump University and not the frickin' grade 10 I was promised it would be.

Ender
Professor Principal
18  Ender    2 years ago

So let me get this straight. Some people were pissed off because they could not respond to certain people that had them on ignore. Claiming they were cut off and censored just because of that.

Which is actually bullshit as they can make any comment they want, just not to that person. 

So they throw a fit to be able to say shit to people they know have them on ignore and are granted their request.

The whole idea that just because someone cannot respond to one person and their voices are silenced is ridiculous on its face.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
18.1  Revillug  replied to  Ender @18    2 years ago

On the bright side, figuring out when someone has responded to you on this site takes work. 

I will probably never even notice when someone I think I have successfully ignored is gleefully continuing to troll me. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
18.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  Revillug @18.1    2 years ago
On the bright side, figuring out when someone has responded to you on this site takes work. 

It shows in your Tracker.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
18.1.2  Revillug  replied to  TᵢG @18.1.1    2 years ago

Whatever and wherever that is!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
18.1.3  TᵢG  replied to  Revillug @18.1.2    2 years ago

It is a main menu function.   'Track', right next to 'Home'.

Its job is to keep track of comments (and replies to your comments) for all articles in which you have commented (or have explicitly asked to be tracked).

Revillug
Freshman Participates
18.1.4  Revillug  replied to  TᵢG @18.1.3    2 years ago

I see a lot of activity on the tracker.

But as far as the few comments directed to me, I have to go digging for them. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
18.1.5  TᵢG  replied to  Revillug @18.1.4    2 years ago

If someone replied to you the reply comment on your tracker shows as REPLIED (vs. POSTED).   For example, look at your tracker now and see that I replied to you.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
18.1.6  Revillug  replied to  TᵢG @18.1.5    2 years ago

That will certainly make my visits here more efficient.

Thanks!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
18.1.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  Revillug @18.1    2 years ago

It doesn't take work.

CB
Professor Principal
18.2  CB  replied to  Ender @18    2 years ago

Ender, in my case, I "got over" the use of any ignore 'switch' because I am disturbed more that on the thread there is this 'mitten' staring back at me on the page-multiple 'mittens'  ("Ignore") symbols and so I just shun the button. It's disfiguring in a sort of way.

And now I just let my detractors 'blow hard and harder" until they have nothing left.  And just maybe they feel a lot better after a good purge! I can do that when I know I am right about a thing or several. And if I am wrong, I like to think I am good, mean, bad, and yes humble, enough to admit it!

Revillug
Freshman Participates
19  Revillug    2 years ago

This place sure has a lot of effing rules.

I'm going to back to 8chun.

Ender
Professor Principal
19.1  Ender  replied to  Revillug @19    2 years ago

Rules...we don't need no stinkin rules....

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
19.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Revillug @19    2 years ago

I couldn't find a definition for "Schun" - what does it mean?  If you're concerned about rules, where in the world are there NO rules?  Those of us who prefer to be civilized believe that rules are necessary. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
19.2.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @19.2    2 years ago

I believe Gulliver meant 8chan, a very scary place, sanctuary to pedophiles.  I also think he was joking about there being too many rules.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
19.2.2  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  sandy-2021492 @19.2.1    2 years ago

D'oh. I thought it was 4cha that was the place for pedophiles and racists. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
19.2.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @19.2.2    2 years ago

Might be dated info now, I remember reading this several years ago:

"A rash of postings that may be related to mass shootings has put a spotlight on loosely moderated forums known as chan boards or image boards. While many people who visit these sites simply share memes or discuss video games, the sites have also become a gathering place for white supremacists and right-wing nationalists who take advantage of the freewheeling and anonymous nature of the boards."

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
19.2.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @19.2.2    2 years ago

I think both were, TBH.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
19.3  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Revillug @19    2 years ago

These rules were always here. People forget them and then I review them. 

Ender
Professor Principal
19.3.1  Ender  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @19.3    2 years ago

And listen to us all complain...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
19.3.2  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ender @19.3.1    2 years ago

I try to listen and care about everyone, even if they don't realize it.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
20  al Jizzerror    2 years ago

I have not put anyone on ignore nor have I flagged any comments.

I do have a stalker/troll butt I don't get offended by anything it posts.

As long as I can respond to the trolls, they don't bother me in the least.

Butt, if I'm being stalked/trolled and my responses are censored, I get extremely pissed off.

Since I've returned to NewsTalkers, the Moderators have been very fair.

I have learned to avoid the totalitarian groups that delete my comments.

I also appreciate the Heated Discussion group.  

Since there's no moderation there, I can engage my stalker/troll and feed it until it explodes.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
20.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  al Jizzerror @20    2 years ago

Good on you, Al!

Kavika
Professor Principal
21  Kavika     2 years ago

This is getting way too complicated. In the words of my grandfather, assholes will always be assholes, let them sink in their own shit. In other words, ignore them they have nothing to offer. 

I don't use the ignore button I simply don't respond to trolls unless I feel like slapping them up beside their empty heads. 

JBB
Professor Principal
21.1  JBB  replied to  Kavika @21    2 years ago

Perrie admits Newstalkers was created as a refuge for a group who felt they were unfairly banned from that other site. Most current contributors here were participants there. It really is no surprise we are dealing with personalities that have in some cases been clashing for well over a decade. There is a certain mystique to observing all of that still playing out. As for the trolls? They may all now "Fuck Off!"

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
21.1.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JBB @21.1    2 years ago

No. Perrie told the history of NT. The history goes, that NV created a new CoH overnight and without telling the membership (something I would never do), to get rid of those they didn't like. In this case, it was A. Mac. They also banned my friend, Dkaz for challenging a mod about a member who had multiple accounts. What happened after I started NT is that we did get an influx of those who were banned, many of them were conservatives. We have a handful of original members here. I will list them for you.

• A Mac
  • Buzz
  • JohnRussell
  • Krishna
  • Mike Lonkoski (hasn't been on in a while)

Tessylo
Professor Principal
21.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @21.1.1    2 years ago

Newsvine became such a cesspool.  I think I was one of those that they didn't like.

I see the same thing here a lot!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
21.1.3  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Tessylo @21.1.2    2 years ago

Tess,

We do try to tap down bad comments and I would say our moderation is much better since we are actually on all the time (basically), even on weekends, so it doesn't become a free for all like NV did on weekends. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
22  JohnRussell    2 years ago

As long as we are discussing trolling and the COC, I would strongly suggest the phrase "TDS" be banned as trolling. 

There is no legitimate use of the term, and if someone thinks there is let them explain why in detail instead of just throwing it out as a blanket insult. 

[deleted]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
22.4  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @22    2 years ago

Thread 22 was deleted for being off topic. The request was to ban the term TDS, not to debate who has it or if it is real.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
22.4.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @22.4    2 years ago

I vote no

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
22.4.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @22.4.1    2 years ago

I vote yes

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
23  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.    2 years ago

At this point, I think we have covered everything and so I am locking the article. There will be an upcoming vote on some issues.