╌>

6 dead, 30 hurt in shooting at Chicago-area July 4 parade | AP News

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  2 years ago  •  119 comments

By:   MICHAEL TARM, KATHLEEN FOODY and ROGER SCHNEIDER

6 dead, 30 hurt in shooting at Chicago-area July 4 parade | AP News
HIGHLAND PARK, Ill. (AP) — A gunman on a rooftop opened fire on an Independence Day parade in suburban Chicago on Monday, killing at least six people, wounding at least 30 and sending hundreds of marchers, parents with strollers and children on bicycles fleeing in terror, police said.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

HIGHLAND PARK, Ill. (AP) — A gunman on a rooftop opened fire on an Independence Day parade in suburban Chicago on Monday, killing at least six people, wounding at least 30 and sending hundreds of marchers, parents with strollers and children on bicycles fleeing in terror, police said.

Authorities said a man named as a person of interest in the shooting was taken into police custody Monday evening after an hourslong manhunt in and around Highland Park, an affluent community of about 30,000 on Chicago's north shore.

The July 4 shooting was just the latest to shatter the rituals of American life. Schools, churches, grocery stores and now community parades have all become killing grounds in recent months. This time, the bloodshed came as the nation tried to find cause to celebrate its founding and the bonds that still hold it together.

"It definitely hits a lot harder when it's not only your hometown but it's also right in front of you," resident Ron Tuazon said as he and a friend returned to the parade route Monday evening to retrieve chairs, blankets and a child's bike that he and his family abandoned when the shooting began.

"It's commonplace now," Tuazon said of what he called yet another American atrocity. "We don't blink anymore. Until laws change, it's going to be more of the same."

The shooting occurred at a spot on the parade route where many residents had staked out prime viewing points early in the day for the annual celebration. Dozens of fired bullets sent hundreds of parade-goers — some visibly bloodied — fleeing. They left a trail of abandoned items that showed everyday life suddenly, violently disrupted: A half-eaten bag of potato chips; a box of chocolate cookies spilled onto the grass; a child's Chicago Cubs cap.

"There's no safe place," said Highland Park resident Barbara Harte, 73, who had stayed away from the parade fearing a mass shooting, but later ventured from her home.

Highland Park Police Chief Lou Jogmen said a police officer pulled over Robert E. Crimo III about five miles north of the shooting scene, several hours after police released the man's photo and an image of his silver Honda Fit, and warned the public that he was likely armed and dangerous. Authorities initially said he was 22, but an FBI bulletin and Crimo's social media said he was 21.

Police declined to immediately identify Crimo as a suspect but said identifying him as a person of interest, sharing his name and other information publicly was a serious step.

Lake County Major Crime Task Force spokesman Christopher Covelli said at a news conference "several of the deceased victims" died at the scene and one was taken to a hospital and died there. Police have not released details about the victims or wounded.

Lake County Coroner Jennifer Banek said the five people killed at the parade were adults, but didn't have information on the sixth victim who was taken to a hospital and died there. One of those killed was a Mexican national, Roberto Velasco, Mexico's director for North American affairs, said on Twitter Monday. He said two other Mexicans were wounded.

NorthShore University Health Center received 26 patients after the attack. All but one had gunshot wounds, said Dr. Brigham Temple, medical director of emergency preparedness. Their ages ranged from 8 to 85, and Temple estimated that four or five patients were children.

Temple said 19 of them were treated and discharged. Others were transferred to other hospitals, while two patients, in stable condition, remained at the Highland Park hospital.

"It is devastating that a celebration of America was ripped apart by our uniquely American plague," Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker said at a news conference.

"I'm furious because it does not have to be this way... while we celebrate the Fourth of July just once a year, mass shootings have become a weekly — yes, weekly — American tradition."

The shooter opened fire around 10:15 a.m., when the parade was about three-quarters through, authorities said.

Highland Park Police Commander Chris O'Neill, the incident commander on scene, said the gunman apparently used a "high-powered rifle" to fire from a spot atop a commercial building where he was "very difficult to see." He said the rifle was recovered at the scene. Police also found a ladder attached to the building.

"Very random, very intentional and a very sad day," Covelli said.

President Joe Biden on Monday said he and first lady Jill Biden were "shocked by the senseless gun violence that has yet again brought grief to an American community on this Independence Day."

Biden signed the widest-ranging gun violence bill passed by Congress in decades, a compromise that showed at once both progress on a long-intractable issue and the deep-seated partisan divide that persists.

As a word of an arrest spread, residents who had hunkered in homes began venturing outside, some walking toward where the shooting occurred. Several people stood and stared at the scene, with abandoned picnic blankets, hundreds of lawn chairs and backpacks still where they were when the shooting began.

Police believe there was only one shooter but warned that he should still be considered armed and dangerous. Several nearby cities canceled events including parades and fireworks, some of them noting that the Highland Park shooter was still at large. The Chicago White Sox also announced on Twitter that a planned post-game fireworks show is canceled due to the shooting.

More than 100 law enforcement officers were called to the parade scene or dispatched to find the suspected shooter.

More than a dozen police officers on Monday surrounded a home listed as an address for Crimo in Highland Park. Some officers held rifles as they fixed their eyes on the home. Police blockaded roads leading to the home in a tree-lined neighborhood near a golf course, allowing only select law enforcement cars through a tight outer perimeter.

Crimo, who goes by the name Bobby, was an aspiring rapper with the stage name Awake the Rapper, posting on social media dozens videos and songs, some ominous and violent.

In one animated video since taken down by YouTube, Crimo raps about armies "walking in darkness" as a drawing appears of a man pointing a rifle, a body on the ground and another figure with hands up in the distance. A later frame shows a close-up of a chest with blood pouring out and another of police cars arriving as the shooter holds his hands up.

In another video, in which Crimo appears in a classroom wearing a black bicycle helmet, he says he is "like a sleepwalker… I know what I have to do," then adds, "Everything has led up to this. Nothing can stop me, even myself."

Crimo's father, Bob, a longtime deli owner, ran unsuccessfully for mayor of Highland Park in 2019, calling himself "a person for the people."

Highland Park is a close-knit community of about 30,000 people located on the shores of Lake Michigan just north of Chicago, with mansions and sprawling lakeside estates that have long drawn the rich and sometimes famous, including NBA legend Michael Jordan, who lived in the city for years when he played for the Chicago Bulls. John Hughes filmed parts of several movies in the city, including "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," "Sixteen Candles" and "Weird Science."

Ominous signs of a joyous event suddenly turned to horror filled both sides of Central Avenue where the shooting occurred. Dozens of baby strollers — some bearing American flags, abandoned children's bikes and a helmet bedecked with images of Cinderella were left behind. Blankets, lawn chairs, coffees and water bottles were knocked over as people fled.

Gina Troiani and her son were lined up with his daycare class ready to walk onto the parade route when she heard a loud sound that she believed was fireworks — until she heard people yell about a shooter. In a video that Troiani shot on her phone, some of the kids are visibly startled at the loud noise, and they scramble to the side of the road as a siren wails nearby.

"We just start running in the opposite direction," she told The Associated Press.

Her 5-year-old son was riding his bike decorated with red and blue curled ribbons. He and other children in the group held small American flags. The city said on its website that the festivities were to include a children's bike and pet parade.

Troiani said she pushed her son's bike, running through the neighborhood to get back to their car.

"It was just sort of chaos," she said. "There were people that got separated from their families, looking for them. Others just dropped their wagons, grabbed their kids and started running."

Debbie Glickman, a Highland Park resident, said she was on a parade float with coworkers and the group was preparing to turn onto the main route when she saw people running from the area.

"People started saying: 'There's a shooter, there's a shooter, there's a shooter,'" Glickman told the AP. "So we just ran. We just ran. It's like mass chaos down there."

She didn't hear any noises or see anyone who appeared to be injured.

"I'm so freaked out," she said. "It's just so sad."

___

All contents © copyright 2022 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1  igknorantzrulz    2 years ago

Where is the Good Guy with the Gun on a Rooftop, when you need one....

Has anyone else noticed, these are less and less alarming to they and others, because we are just becoming so damn accustomed to mass shooting norms, that we are becoming more callous to these horrors, and this, is not good. This is not the country we had envisioned it would be, nor should it be, but the rhetoric and division, cuts deep with an incision, and as we lacerate with much hate, we observe another observation, observing but yet, another laceration gouged out of this Nation on a National Holiday, that not all were given to have off and celebrate, unless, here to celebrate the more hate, that is quite obviously, our own brought about fate,

that really MUST CHANGE.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  igknorantzrulz @1    2 years ago
Where is the Good Guy with the Gun on a Rooftop, when you need one...

I was thinking the same thing - there were good guys with guns in the crowd ready to step in and prevent this but they werent looking up to a four story rooftop at the time.  It's always something, isnt it? 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1    2 years ago
It's always something, isnt it? 

I understand that the shooter's gun was legally obtained. 

This is notable in a state with some of the most toughest gun laws in the country.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.1    2 years ago

This is another youngtrumplican full of hate.  

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.2    2 years ago
This is another youngtrumplican full of hate.

You work much faster than the investigating authorities. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.2    2 years ago
Mediaite by  Tommy Christopher 1h
NBC News correspondent Ben Collins  told the  Morning Joe  Crew that despite being a “Trump fan,” Highland Park mass shooting suspect  Robert Crimo III  is part of a deeper subculture that goes beyond politics.

.....toward the end of his segment, Collins took pains to point out that while “a lot of people want to point out that this guy was a Donald Trump fan,” the former president is not to blame for Crimo’s actions:

And also, I want to say, like, you can’t drill this down to one specific traditional political subculture. I know a lot of people want to point out that this guy was a Donald Trump fan. He had, there were pictures of him draped in a Trump flag or, you know, at a Donald Trump, outside of a Donald Trump motorcade. This guy, this is part of a much larger, deeper subculture that Donald Trump is in the past of, like this guy who grew up as a child, if Donald Trump was his president, he is trying to advance the accelerationism well past Donald Trump.

This guy is part of a new wave of terror, and that’s something that we have to get our brains around right now. This is not, this is not tied to one guy. This is tied to a much larger cell of people who think they’re loners, who are really acting in concert to express their disaffection with the world by murdering a bunch of people. We have to stop that. I don’t know how to stop that. The one thing that you can stop it at the very end is the gun parts. But we have to at least, you know, try to start to learn how people are getting to this point.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.5  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1    2 years ago

Looks like another liberal loony tune.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2022/07/05/highland-park-shooter-was-known-to-law-enforcement-n2609739?utm_campaign=rightrailsticky1

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
1.1.6  afrayedknot  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.1    2 years ago

“I understand that the shooter's gun was legally obtained.”

And what does that say about the ease of legally obtaining such weaponry?  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.7  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.5    2 years ago

I actually read the entire article you link to. There isnt a word in there about him being a liberal .

Why the lying Greg? 

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.8  devangelical  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.5    2 years ago

TELEMMGLPICT000301852627_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqFvi6QOHawl89U2ptBk3j6Fw9xPNRtk5HqddgauXXJvM.jpeg?imwidth=480

OIF.q50s5MGP7CLWTyNgHzsNEg?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

robert.crimo_291605763_1081763489437906_3106447439977089073_n.jpg?resize=840%2C840&ssl=1

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  afrayedknot @1.1.6    2 years ago
And what does that say about the ease of legally obtaining such weaponry?  

I guess that Illinois gun laws are lacking something?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.10  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.1    2 years ago

292257520_539937697816145_970378223647566454_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p526x296&_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=PYSh9gDpdw8AX-tjClh&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=00_AT_wGJ9gCDhuTd_a3zU7C94MuG7WFsIA1sUYT-O-P8dO3g&oe=62C8DCCF

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.11  Dulay  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.5    2 years ago

As per your MO, your link does NOT support your statement. jrSmiley_84_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.12  Tessylo  replied to  Dulay @1.1.11    2 years ago

That's true of most of the supporters of the hate on the 'right'

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1.13  Ronin2  replied to  devangelical @1.1.8    2 years ago

Look up a comment concerning "Where's Waldo" and Antifa joining Trump rallies. 

It isn't coincidence he is dress exactly like Waldo in two of the pictures.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.14  MrFrost  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.5    2 years ago

Um, no.. Numerous pictures of him at trump rallies... he's in the red pants. 

And again in his waldo outfit. 

RU4Real
Freshman Silent
1.1.15  RU4Real  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.10    2 years ago

Fox and Fox Business channels tried the same thing Monday and yesterday.  Then gave up and tried to divert and say well, Chicago had 57 shootings over the weekend, when they got their heads out their natural habitat (their asses) and accepted Highland Park is 25 miles north of Chicago.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.16  Texan1211  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1.13    2 years ago

[Deleted]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.17  Sean Treacy  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.14    2 years ago

Lol.

"The pictures of him being at the Trump rally — I remember asking him about it because he was not a Trump supporter at all, and it threw me off,” Nodfather said. “I was like, ‘What the fuck are you doing there?’ And he was like, ‘Look at my shirt.’ He was wearing a Where’s Waldo shirt. So, he just wanted to fuck with people. He just wanted to be funny.”

The "he was Trump supporter" narrative will live on forever, no matter the reality. Like Officer Sicknick being murdered at the Jan 6th riot. Reality doesn't matter. 

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.18  Ender  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.17    2 years ago

Online friends? I am sure they knew as much about each other as you and I do...

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.19  Sean Treacy  replied to  Ender @1.1.18    2 years ago

online friends

It seems like that's where he lived his life. 

am sure they knew as much about each other as you and I do..

If I was accused of being a die hard Biden supporter, would that make sense to you? 

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.20  Ender  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.19    2 years ago
Nodfather said he and Crimo had drifted apart in recent years.

It also said that they never saw anything that would be suspicious? Uh, he had a video where he was pretending to shoot up a school....

If I was accused of being a die hard Biden supporter, would that make sense to you? 

Being a die hard trump supporter makes no sense to me.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.21  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ender @1.1.18    2 years ago

So his on-line friend gave us one explanation of why he wear a Waldo shirt to the rally, do you have an alternative explanation?

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.22  Ender  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.21    2 years ago

I would trust what an online friend knows about what I do in real life as much as I would trust trump to be a decent human being.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.23  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ender @1.1.22    2 years ago

Is that what folks here call deflection?

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.24  Ender  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.23    2 years ago

Can a deflection be deflected.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  Tessylo    2 years ago

He's white so he was taken alive.

I note he is a fan of #45.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @2    2 years ago

Where does it say that?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1    2 years ago

It doesn't. He was taken alive because he didn't resist or do stupid shit except for a short "chase".

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1    2 years ago
Where does it say that?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1    2 years ago

Which couldn't you understand Greg?

That he's white?

A fan of #45?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @2    2 years ago

This seems to be a big story for lefties, the same people who had literally nothing to say about Waukesha... interesting!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2    2 years ago

The Waukesha incident got just as much news coverage as this incident has. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.1    2 years ago

As they say in Texas: "That dog won't hunt!"

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
2.2.3  afrayedknot  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2    2 years ago

“This seems to be a big story for lefties…”

Let us revisit, vic…six dead and dozens injured while celebrating our Independence…not a ‘story’ that should shake us all to the core; ‘leftie’ or not? 

Your bias continually betrays any semblance of reason you hope to convey. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.4  JohnRussell  replied to  afrayedknot @2.2.3    2 years ago

Vic wants black people to be more 'celebrated' for their murder sprees.  Just to keep it real ya know. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.2.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  afrayedknot @2.2.3    2 years ago

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
2.2.6  afrayedknot  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.2.5    2 years ago

“This is a much bigger story than:”

So you are attempting to diminish a tragedy by citing additional tragedies while ignoring the common denominator…point made. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.7  Tessylo  replied to  afrayedknot @2.2.6    2 years ago

Which is the only reason some are here.  To troll and to deflect and to deny and to project.  

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.2.8  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  afrayedknot @2.2.6    2 years ago

Gun violence killed almost 20,000 here in 2020.  446 or 2.3% of them were killed in mass shooting incident.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.9  JohnRussell  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.2.8    2 years ago

I know how we can get rid of so many murders. Make it a law that you have to shoot at more than one person at a time. Single victim shootings will be cut down, and all that will be left is the relatively few mass shootings. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.2.10  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.1    2 years ago

BS.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.2.11  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.9    2 years ago
 Make it a law that you have to shoot at more than one person at a time

Why would that be more enforceable than our current laws against murder? 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.2.12  MrFrost  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.2.5    2 years ago
This is a much bigger story than:

Why is it that every time there is a mass shooting, cons immediately run to the 18th deadliest city in the USA? Weird. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.13  JohnRussell  replied to  MrFrost @2.2.12    2 years ago
Why is it that every time there is a mass shooting, cons immediately run to the 18th deadliest city in the USA? Weird. 

It started with objection to Obama, of course. 

GregTx
PhD Guide
2.2.15  GregTx  replied to  MrFrost @2.2.12    2 years ago

Exactly, they should be focusing on number one, Detroit. Low hanging fruit and all that I suppose..

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.2.16  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.13    2 years ago

Wouldn’t that then be Honolulu?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.17  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.13    2 years ago

That's the root of it indeed John when it comes to Chicago

GregTx
PhD Guide
2.2.18  GregTx  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.17    2 years ago

No doubt..

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.2.19  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  MrFrost @2.2.12    2 years ago

You're right. Here are the top 5

1. Detroit, MI
  2. Memphis, TN
  3. Birmingham , AL
  4. Baltimore, MD
  5. St. Louis, MO

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.2.20  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.13    2 years ago
It started with objection to Obama, of course. 

Do you think that this comforts the loved ones of the 317 killed there in the first 6 months of 2022?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.21  Tessylo  replied to  GregTx @2.2.18    2 years ago

Fuck off

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.22  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.17    2 years ago

My heart is always with Taylor Street.

GregTx
PhD Guide
2.2.23  GregTx  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.21    2 years ago

jrSmiley_54_smiley_image.gif

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.2.24  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.17    2 years ago

Do they still call Chicago home or is it the house in Kalorama MD and the Martha Vineyard mansion?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.2.25  MrFrost  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.2.19    2 years ago

Thanks Jim.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.2.26  MrFrost  replied to  GregTx @2.2.15    2 years ago

Exactly, they should be focusing on number one, Detroit. Low hanging fruit and all that I suppose..

Or they could just focus on the story. 

GregTx
PhD Guide
2.2.27  GregTx  replied to  MrFrost @2.2.26    2 years ago

The story kinda brings the violent crime stats of Chicago into play… don’t you think?

Thomas
Senior Guide
3  Thomas    2 years ago

Sad. So very sad. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1  devangelical  replied to  Thomas @3    2 years ago

th?id=OIF.E%2bPfri5cjjAekZRKFVTw8w&pid=ImgDet&rs=1

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @3.1    2 years ago

Another idiotic post.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.1    2 years ago

... another trolling comment.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  devangelical @3.1    2 years ago

Most of the mass shooters have held leftist and liberal views....check It out.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.3    2 years ago

That is a widely debunked conspiracy theory. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @3.1.2    2 years ago

[removed]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @3.1    2 years ago

Another truthful post.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.8  Tessylo  replied to  dennis smith @3.1.7    2 years ago

Nope, the truth.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  dennis smith @3.1.7    2 years ago
As normal when the truth hurts, some respond with denial, spin and deflection.

Well, that IS all some have.

it is rather obvious.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.1.10  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.4    2 years ago

Most mass shooters are gang bangers.

The left doesn't count them; as are most are the wrong racial demographic.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.12  Tessylo  replied to    2 years ago

[Deleted

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.13  devangelical  replied to    2 years ago

[Deleted]

freepress
Freshman Silent
4  freepress    2 years ago

A country filled with "gunslingers" wanting to shoot up the town because they don't like the people who live in the town.

If only these right wing nostalgia loving people would actually go back and watch  all the western movies from the '50's and '60's, they would see so many plot lines about how the "Gunslingers", "Gun toters" were asked to leave their guns outside the tavern, outside the church, or asked by the sheriff to leave their rifle hitched to their horse outside the establishment. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1  Texan1211  replied to  freepress @4    2 years ago
If only these right wing nostalgia loving people would actually go back and watch  all the western movies from the '50's and '60's, they would see so many plot lines about how the "Gunslingers", "Gun toters" were asked to leave their guns outside the tavern, outside the church, or asked by the sheriff to leave their rifle hitched to their horse outside the establishment. 

Same thing happens today. Businesses all over America have banned guns in their establishments. 

Now, if only we can get criminals to follow the laws and rules!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1    2 years ago

Crimo wasnt a criminal until 10:14 yesterday morning. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.1    2 years ago
Crimo wasnt a criminal until 10:14 yesterday morning. 

Okay.

Is someone here arguing the opposite or something?

He IS a criminal now, right?

What does THAT have to do with anything?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.2    2 years ago

You said only criminals will carry guns into towns. He wasnt a criminal when he carried his gun into town. 

I thought my point was obvious but you never know. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.3    2 years ago
You said only criminals will carry guns into towns. He wasnt a criminal when he carried his gun into town.

The hell I did.

As usual, please post the quote of me saying shit YOU invented.

We both know you can't, so why lie about what I stated clearly IN ENGLISH?

I thought my point was obvious but you never know. 

If LYING about what I post is your 'point', well done. I DO know.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.3    2 years ago

When he carried the gun into town, he already had the intent of what he was going to do. And we have heard ad nauseum that intent is criminal according to our NT "legal team". Thus, as soon as he packed up his "tools", he became a criminal.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
4.1.6  Gsquared  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.1.5    2 years ago

I don't know what you have heard, or think you heard, but intent is not a crime.  It is the element of a crime.  A crime requires some act.  Even a conspiracy requires an act in furtherance of the conspiracy for it to be a crime.  

The suspect apparently owned the guns legally.  Therefore, it is not a crime for him to possess or transport them, unless he takes them to a forbidden location such as an airport, even if he intended to use them later to commit a crime.  It is only when he engages in a proscribed act, or attempts to, that a crime has been committed.  At least, that's my understanding.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.1.7  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Gsquared @4.1.6    2 years ago
I don't know what you have heard, or think you heard, but intent is not a crime. 

Tell that to a couple of our members here. Actually SEVERAL but I guess it depends on how much one hates the supposed perpetrator.

RU4Real
Freshman Silent
4.1.8  RU4Real  replied to  Gsquared @4.1.6    2 years ago

Can you tells cops that?  There are a sh!t ton of people in the clink right now on "intent to..." criminal charges.  No, seriously, tell cops, prosecutors, judges from coast to coast, north to south that.  A hell of a lot of people would be walking around free right now, to...hey wait, isn't that...

Gsquared
Professor Principal
4.1.9  Gsquared  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.1.7    2 years ago
Tell that to a couple of our members here.  Actually SEVERAL

No, you can do that, especially since I have no idea who you are talking about.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
4.1.10  Gsquared  replied to  RU4Real @4.1.8    2 years ago
There are a shit ton of people in the clink right now on "intent to..." criminal charges.

Name one such person, and while you're at it, list all "intent to..." crimes that you are aware of.

squiggy
Junior Silent
4.2  squiggy  replied to  freepress @4    2 years ago

“…were asked to leave their guns outside the tavern…”

… where ordinary people would respect the property of others and not steal. Today it gets stolen and fenced in time for tonight’s hit.

JBB
Professor Principal
5  JBB    2 years ago

This is a meme that pro-gun forces are posting today...

original Does this meme make anyone else want to throw up?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @5    2 years ago

I had no idea you were supportive of gun rights!

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1.1  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1    2 years ago

WHOOSH!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @5.1.1    2 years ago

Is that the sound the wind makes when it whistles through your ears?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @5    2 years ago

291786707_380257280839211_3805726031513855423_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=P9GfvQ3N2xcAX-D6nnB&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=00_AT-xpnuVFUJJ3f6-R1EavVoH8Py6PkcafiRiQHKk5QA3eQ&oe=62CA19C4

squiggy
Junior Silent
5.3  squiggy  replied to  JBB @5    2 years ago

Well, that and a bunch of insurrectionists took on a government.

JBB
Professor Principal
5.3.1  JBB  replied to  squiggy @5.3    2 years ago

To assert, not subvert, representative government!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6  Tessylo    2 years ago

67477658_2503210276385157_3518516657188241408_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=m6PFhEmWGL4AX_WPEZH&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=00_AT85tOifmFf4_Esa3KMD4SGs-1aDYg-qhXg8RCOPZDpSQQ&oe=62EA6C2C

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @6    2 years ago

[Deleted]

squiggy
Junior Silent
6.2  squiggy  replied to  Tessylo @6    2 years ago

[Deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2.1  Tessylo  replied to  squiggy @6.2    2 years ago

WTF is that supposed to mean?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
7  Drinker of the Wry    2 years ago
make anyone else want to throw up?

No, I usually have a pretty strong stomach.  I would feel like heaving though if I had a hard morning PT run after a party night and at the end of the run we went past the mess hall - the smell of all that grease could get to me.  

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
8  Greg Jones    2 years ago

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9  Tessylo    2 years ago
yahoo_NEWS_Light.png

Highland Park parade shooting suspect dressed as a woman to blend in with crowd, police say

Dylan Stableford
·Senior Writer
Tue, July 5, 2022 at 2:08 PM

The suspect in the deadly mass shooting at an Independence Day parade in Highland Park, Ill., fired more than 70 rounds into the crowd from a rooftop using a high-powered rifle that was purchased legally, and dressed as a woman to disguise his appearance and help him escape, law enforcement officials said Tuesday.

The alleged gunman, 21-year-old Robert Crimo III of Highwood, Ill., was arrested during a traffic stop several hours after the attack, which left six people dead and more than 30 others wounded.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10  Tessylo    2 years ago

The little scumbag planned it for weeks and then disguised himself

These trumpturd apointed SC members are handing the asylum over to the freaking lunatics

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
10.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @10    2 years ago
These trumpturd apointed SC members are handing the asylum over to the freaking lunatics

When did they first meet Crimo?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
10.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @10.1    2 years ago

The attempt to somehow tie this maniac to Trump has failed.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
10.1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Vic Eldred @10.1.1    2 years ago

Where, oh where, is the critical thinker, who waits for the facts to come in?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
10.1.3  MrFrost  replied to  Vic Eldred @10.1.1    2 years ago

How do you figure that. There are lots of pics of him at trump rallies. He is clearly a trump supporter. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
10.1.4  Vic Eldred  replied to  MrFrost @10.1.3    2 years ago
How do you figure that.

Simple. The people he killed were chosen at random.

devangelical
Professor Principal
10.1.5  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @10.1.4    2 years ago

[Deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @10.1.5    2 years ago
too bad maga hats are no longer trendy...

Too many liberals were frightened by them.

Scared them shitless.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
11  sandy-2021492    2 years ago

A seventh victim has died.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
11.1  MrFrost  replied to  sandy-2021492 @11    2 years ago

300 mass shootings so far in 2022. How even the most hardened 2A supporter can be ok with that is a genuine curiosity. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @11.1    2 years ago

I don't know a soul 'okay' with this, and it has nothing to do with the 2nd Amendment.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
12  Revillug    2 years ago

We can't even have a holiday in this country.

And it is the fault of one and only one of our political parties.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
13  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

It's been determined that this was a case where a "Red Flag" warning could have prevented this carnage - there were ample circumstances in his past that became known that would have labeled him a danger.  One of the problems that exists in those circumstances is the protection given to such potential killers by their parents and relatives. 

LINK ->

Although arguments are made that "guns don't kill people", people with guns DO kill people and not enough is done to earmark those who have the possibility of doing so.