╌>

Reminiscences of Leopold and Loeb

Category:  Op/Ed

By:  vic-eldred  •  last year  •  444 comments

Reminiscences of Leopold and Loeb
"Well," I said to myself, "it's over. There's no turning back now. How on earth could I ever have got involved in this thing? It was horrible--more horrible even than I figured it was going to be. But that's behind me now. Somehow I never believed that it would happen--that we'd actually go through with it. "But it's done. "And now, at least, there aren't any decisions to make. I'll be able to put all my thought on not making any slips--on staying one jump ahead of the police.

Link to Quote: https://famous-trials.com/leopoldandloeb/1749-ownwords

Police have linked Bryan Kohberger to the stabbing deaths of 4 students: Kaylee Goncalves, 21, Ethan Chapin, 20, Xana Kernodle, 20, and Madison Mogen, 21. Kohberger is a 28-year-old graduate student, with a master's degree from DeSales and he is a criminal justice Ph.D. candidate. He studied under famed criminoligist Dr. Katherine Ramsland. Kohberger was charged Thursday with four counts of first-degree murder and   one count of felony burglary.  A premeditated first-degree murder charge in Idaho carries a death sentence or life imprisonment. This case in which an intellectual comes to believe in his own superior intellect to the point of being able to comit and get away with the "perfect crime" reminds us of the famous case of Leopold and Loeb.

idaho-bryan-kohberger.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

For those who don't know:

"Wealthy and intellectually brilliant ( Leopold  had graduated from the  University of Chicago  at 18,  Loeb  from the  University of Michigan  at 17), the two had committed several  petty  acts of  theft  and  arson  before attempting the “perfect murder”—in the kidnap of Bobby Franks in a rented automobile on May 21, 1924, on Chicago’s south side; Loeb, the more ruthless of the two, hit the boy on the head with a chisel and stuffed a gag in his mouth; the boy died within minutes. They half-buried the body in a railway culvert and, by phone and notes, demanded $10,000 in ransom from the boy’s wealthy parents. The body, however, was unexpectedly found, and several clues, including the discovery of Leopold’s eyeglasses at the culvert, led the police to Leopold and Loeb. They quickly confessed.

For 33 days in July–August 1924, Darrow, hired by Leopold’s father, defended the two before Judge John R. Caverly, offering an  eloquent  appeal against capital punishment. The judge finally sentenced them each to life imprisonment for murder and 99 years for kidnapping. They were sent to Northern Illinois Penitentiary near  Joliet ."

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Leopold-and-Loeb

It is truly sad when the well educated delude themselves into thinking that they are superior to the rest of us. In the Kohberger case the police took a lot of heat up front but in the end they got the killer. Another spoiled genius bites the dust.

The Week:

D ay 4 of Kevin McCarthy's odyssey: "After failing to win in 11 rounds of voting, Kevin McCarthy played down the idea that planned concessions would weaken him as speaker, and negotiators indicated they were closing in on an agreement. Republicans involved in the talks huddled late into Thursday trying to bridge the gulf between Mr. McCarthy’s supporters and  his 20 opponents . Negotiators indicated they were closing in on an agreement, and Mr. McCarthy expressed optimism and played down the idea that planned concessions would weaken him as speaker."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/kevin-mccarthys-house-speaker-bid-heads-to-fourth-day-as-talks-continue-11673002595?mod=hp_lead_pos5

U.S. employers added 223,000 jobs in December: "The jobless rate moved down to 3.5% from a revised 3.6% in November. The December payrolls numbers are a slight decline from November’s revised increase of 256,000,  the Labor Department said Friday . For all of 2022, U.S. employers added 4.5 million jobs, the second-best year for job creation on records back to 1940 after 2021, when the labor market rebounded from the pandemic-induced shutdowns and added 6.7 million jobs."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/december-jobs-report-unemployment-rate-economy-growth-2022-11672961227

Transgender ruling: "A federal judge in West Virginia has upheld a state law that prohibits biological male student athletes who identify and present themselves as female from  playing on girl's school sports teams .  Judge Joseph R. Goodwin of the  Southern District of West Virginia  ruled on Thursday that H.B. 3293, the "Save Women's Sports Bill," which defines "girl" and "woman" as biologically female for the purpose of secondary school sports, is "constitutionally permissible." The court found that West Virginia's definition of "biological sex" for school sports is "substantially related to its important interest in providing equal athletic opportunities for females."

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/federal-judge-upholds-west-virginia-save-womens-sports-law-barring-trans-athletes-girls-sports-teams

Violence in the failing nation of Mexico: "The state of  Sinaloa, Mexico is being hit with a wave of violence, officials say, following the arrest of the son of jailed drug cartel kingpin Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzmán in the days leading up to President Biden’s visit to the country.  Sinaloa state governor Ruben Rocha told Reuters that so far seven members of Mexico’s security forces have been killed and 21 were injured in a dozen clashes within the northern Sinaloa state, home to the cartel with the same name that once was run by El Chapo. Ovidio Guzmán, his son, was arrested there Thursday by Mexican authorities, officials confirmed."

https://www.foxnews.com/world/sinaloa-mexico-engulfed-violence-chaos-el-chapo-son-arrest-ahead-biden-visit

What have we learned:

There are two takeaways from the standoff going on in the House of Representatives. First is the state of the House that has so many Republican members angry. That would be the legacy of Nancy Pelosi:

1) Congress not complying with its own budget process 
2) The Speakers office now has firm control of House business
3) Committees barely function.
4) Members have no ability to debate or make amendments.
5) Legislation is decided in private by party leaders.

That seems to be part of the complaints of the 19 members to the right of McCarthy. Unfortunately, It's McCarthy who is bearing the brunt of what Pelosi has wrought. My second impression of this fight over the Speaker is that no matter how many concessions McCarthy makes, there is a group that simply does not want him to be Speaker.

There is another issue that needs to be addressed and that is the msm story involving newly elected congressman George Santos. He is not only a liar, as many politicians are, but he is blatant and ridiculous with lying. The funny part is that he emulates Joe Biden in this regard. So why the sudden outrage? I see the New York Times, which has told more lies than Santos and Biden combined is still doing stories on it. It's without a doubt: the biggest non-story of the week.

Cartoon of the Week:

cartoon010623.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Honorable Mention:

Simon Ateba

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  author  Vic Eldred    last year

My message for the 19 against McCarthy:

Listen to Trump and "take the victory!"

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    last year

What victory?

What a loser ass kisser yet still a loser

lol

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @1.1    last year

The assholes are on the steps of the Capitol right now redoing their Jan 6th Bull Shit. Is that what you mean?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.1    last year
The assholes are on the steps of the Capitol right now redoing their Jan 6th Bull Shit. Is that what you mean?

I watched Pelosi stumble through her adoration speech commemorating the people who died on Jan 6, 2020. What she deliberately omitted was that the only person who died that day was unarmed Ashli Babbitt.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.3  devangelical  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.1.2    last year
the only person who died that day was unarmed Ashli Babbitt.

... shout out to Ashley Babbit for 2 years of sobriety.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.4  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.1.2    last year

Correct. Within a few minutes somebody here will claim that the Capitol cop who died of a heart attack was a direct casualty of the riot

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.1.5  Jasper2529  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.4    last year

I'm sure it will happen. It's the MSM mantra.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.1    last year

I have no idea what you are talking about.  Do you mean folks are protesting the failed insurrection and reminding people to never incite an insurrection after losing the Presidency for months and continue to deny you lost and never conceded to President Biden.

Is that what you mean?

Is deflection all you have?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.4    last year

He was a direct casualty of the failed insurrection thanks to the scumbags and vermin who were there and supported/enabled the failed coup/insurrectionist vermin and beat others nearly to death and used bear spray on some officers and shit and piss in the Capitol 

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    last year

[Deleted]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  devangelical @1.2    last year

[Deleted]

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.3  Snuffy  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    last year

While I agree with some of the points of the 19 and I do believe that Washington needs a big correction and that McCarthy is too engrained into the Washington elite to really be a good leader, I have another take on it.  The Democrats IMO should think long and hard about who they want in the leadership chair.  At least McCarthy is moderate enough that he will still work with Democrats, there are a few on the right who will not.  Hell,  while it's along shot it's not ruled out.  How would the Democrats feel about having Trump elected to the speakership?  Maybe the Democrats should also stop playing their partisan games and think what would be better for them for the next two years.  With the political climate being what it is I do not see the potential for a coalition government and I do not see any Republicans being willing to vote a Democrat in as Speaker,  so perhaps the best the Democrats could hope for would be a moderate who at least will work with them?

IMO I do not want McCarthy as speaker, I don't believe he's truly interested in conservative values and the betterment of the country.  He's more interested in advancing his own power and wealth and his next steps down the road.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.3.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Snuffy @1.3    last year

You've made some good points. It is true that there are those who have never trusted McCarthy, but I must say they have gotten quite a few major concessions out of him.

If he were elected Speaker now, he would be operating with a gun to his head for the next two years. I don't know why he hasn't stepped aside?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.3.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Snuffy @1.3    last year

McCarthy is not a moderate, he is a Trumpster. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.3.3  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @1.3.2    last year

Are all Republicans who supported Trump MAGA Republicans?

McCarthy is of the Ryan/Boehner class.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.3.4  Snuffy  replied to  JohnRussell @1.3.2    last year

I didn't say he was a moderate, I said he was moderate enough that he would work with Democrats.  IMO he's more concerned with his future and solidifying his power and money.  He's young enough, I would expect  him to run for the White House in a couple of cycles.  To be successful with that he will need to show that he can work with everybody.  And he's very much ingrained with the Washington establishment.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.3.5  evilone  replied to  JohnRussell @1.3.2    last year
McCarthy is not a moderate, he is a Trumpster. 

McCarthy is Gingrich 2.0

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.3.6  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  evilone @1.3.5    last year

No, he's Ryan 2.0

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.3.7  Ronin2  replied to  evilone @1.3.5    last year

WTF.

McCarthy is way too much of a moderate to ever be Gingrich. 

How far to the left does one have to be to even think that?

evilone
Professor Guide
1.3.8  evilone  replied to  Ronin2 @1.3.7    last year
McCarthy is way too much of a moderate to ever be Gingrich. 

Maybe. McCarthy will do what he thinks is best for McCarthy not for the Republican Party nor the American people. Gingrich has no morals or ethics something McCarthy seems to be learning.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3.9  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.3.3    last year

Yes, they're all MAGATS

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2  author  Vic Eldred    last year

"President Biden appears to be struggling in his press conference on his immigration reforms. After referring to "President Harris", he said the seizure of "more than 20,000 pounds of deadly fentanyl...[is] enough to kill as many as a 1,000 people."...Jonathan Turley

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    last year

I nearly fell of my chair in astonishment at those blunders. It seems that his handlers didn't give him a note card with the Fentanyl poisoning death stats that were caused by HIS Administration's dereliction of duty.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.2    last year

He's going to the border tomorrow. The 2024 election has begun!

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.2.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.1    last year
He's going to the border tomorrow. 

This afternoon. It's just a 3 hour photo op lay-over with Mayorkas in a sanitized El Paso. They started getting rid of illegals' tents, blankets, human excrement, and garbage last week and moved the illegals out of sight. Biden won't see what Fox News reporters have been showcasing for a long time.

The 2024 election has begun!

Joe will do whatever the CCP, Mexican cartels, Soros, Obama, and Jill tell him to do. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.3  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.2.2    last year

El Paso has become the Ellis Island for illegal migrants. Remember McCarthy's promise: If Mayorkas doesn't resign he will face impeachment!

Joe will do whatever the CCP, Mexican cartels, Soros, Obama, and Jill tell him to do. 

And right now they are telling him to look more moderate.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.2.4  Jasper2529  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.3    last year

At least the Ellis Island immigrants entered LEGALLY, were vetted/sponsored, and medically checked out before release into the US. I can't say the same about 5 MILLION known illegal aliens and tens of thousands of illegal got-aways, many of whom are criminals, on Joe's watch.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.5  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.2.4    last year

where are your citations for the millions of allegedly known illegal immigrants and the alleged tens of thousands illegal alleged many known criminals?

not from faux news though or some other far right wing rag or blog or whatever

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.2.6  Jasper2529  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.5    last year

You have asked me for these citations on numerous occasions before, and I've complied. I will not do it anymore. Groundhog Day is a good movie, but I don't live it.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.7  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.2.6    last year

Which were all false or irrelevant.

Of course, you have no citation because it's not true

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.8  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.7    last year
Which were all false or irrelevant.

Did someone tell you that, or did you form your own opinion after READING the links you claim you never read?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.2.9  Jasper2529  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.8    last year

It doesn't matter. I've provided both left and right links which included the same CBP statistics.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.10  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.2.9    last year

[Deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.11  Texan1211  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.2.9    last year
It doesn't matter. I've provided both left and right links which included the same CBP statistics.

I know. It is just that the incessant, childish criticism of links the person never even read gets tiresome.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.12  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.10    last year

[Deleted]

GregTx
PhD Guide
2.2.13  GregTx  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.12    last year

jrSmiley_26_smiley_image.gif

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.2.14  Split Personality  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.2.4    last year
At least the Ellis Island immigrants entered LEGALLY, were vetted/sponsored, and medically checked out before release into the US.

Not entirely true.

The official United States immigration facilities located on Ellis Island received more than 12 million immigrants between 1892 and 1954. Ellis Island lies near the Statue of Liberty in the New York Harbor, near the mouth of the Hudson River . Ellis Island was used to register immigrants, and also to screen out those who had contagious diseases or legal problems that would be a burden to society. Inspection at Ellis Island was primarily for the poorer immigrants arriving as third-class passengers aboard steamships, the most common mode of arrival during this time period. Passengers in first and second-class were briefly screened on board the ships, and only had to stop through Ellis Island if they had obvious problems with their health or paperwork. Processing Immigrant Arrivals at Ellis Island | Encyclopedia.com

Two tiered justice?

I can't say the same about 5 MILLION known illegal aliens and tens of thousands of illegal got-aways, many of whom are criminals, on Joe's watch.

You really shouldn't say anything without non partisan iron clad proof.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.2.15  Jasper2529  replied to  Split Personality @2.2.14    last year
Two tiered justice?

Two-tiered "justice" throughout the world has existed for millennia and exists today. Your point?

You really shouldn't say anything without non partisan iron clad proof.

How many times are "enough" times for you, SP? For FIVE YEARS I've complied by posting CBP, DHS, DEA, and other government documentation - including video footage and interviews with CBP agents and county sheriffs. If people don't open and read/watch them, it's not my fault.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.2.16  devangelical  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.2.15    last year
Two-tiered "justice" throughout the world has existed for millennia and exists today. Your point?

we're supposed to be better than that in america. hopefully the DOJ and jack smith prove it soon.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.2.17  Split Personality  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.2.15    last year
Your point?

Ellis Island didn't screen First Class or Second Class passengers unless their paperwork was in crayons or they were bleeding.

How many times are "enough" times for you, SP?

I would expect a link each and every time someone spouts statistics about any political issue especially when they are repeating Breitbart & FAIR estimates based on those invisible "gotaways".

Is that clear enough?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.2.18  Jasper2529  replied to  Split Personality @2.2.17    last year

You know as well as I do that Breitbart and FAIR aren't allowed as seed origins on this site, SP. That's why I've never seeded anything using either of those sites.

As far as the rest of your comment - many things are common knowledge and do not need to be cited every time someone who admits to not opening links continues to ask for them. Examples:

• If I say that Lincoln was shot in Ford's Theater, I shouldn't have to prove it.
  • If I say that JFK was the last POTUS assassinated, I shouldn't have to prove it.
  • If I say that Joe Biden is the current POTUS, I shouldn't have to prove it. 

Our members are smart enough to use the Internet to verify people's comments. Therefore, they can easily verify my comments about illegal aliens, CBP, DHS, DEA ------- especially because I've posted non-partisan links MANY times. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.2.19  devangelical  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.2.18    last year
Breitbart and FAIR aren't allowed as seed origins on this site

gee, I wonder why...???

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.2.20  Split Personality  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.2.18    last year
Our members are smart enough to use the Internet to verify people's comments. Therefore, they can easily verify my comments about illegal aliens, CBP, DHS, DEA ------- especially because I've posted non-partisan links MANY times. 

Yes, I easily verified that the figure 5 million you are quoting is sourced by

FAIR and repeated by the likes of Breitbart, not the CBP.

Which is why links are necessary.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.21  Tessylo  replied to  Split Personality @2.2.17    last year

Thanks SP.  I would expect a citation to back up those claims, which I did, which I requested, which was denied because obviously he has no actual proof

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.22  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.2.18    last year

WE shouldn't have to verify YOUR claims.  Why not just provide proof for your allegations?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.2.23  Snuffy  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.22    last year

Yeah,  when people make a claim they should have to provide some proof.  It just sucks when people toss out shit without providing any verification for the shit they just tossed out.  

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
2.2.24  afrayedknot  replied to  Snuffy @2.2.23    last year

Sometimes we forget this is a venue for speaking one’s opinion.

Too often, we get caught up in the desire for verification (when nearly any point can be readily verified or vilified) thus losing the intent of this being first and foremost a mostly civil open forum…thankfully. 

That being said, always appreciate your input, Snuffy, though we rarely see eye to eye. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3  Just Jim NC TttH    last year

Thanks again for a good wrap up.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3    last year

lol to you maybe

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @3.1    last year

Well that's all that matters at this point. Your opinion after not even reading is irrelevant.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.1.1    last year

I read it.  garbage as usual.  a complete waste of my time

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.2    last year

You say that every week yet here you are............................

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.1.3    last year

Just reminding the know nothings of the garbage they are reading, if they know how

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.2    last year
I read it. 

doubtful.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.1.3    last year

It's always good for a chuckle or outright guffaw at vic's 'version' of the weekjrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @3.1    last year
lol to you maybe

Well, he is the one that counts!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    last year

There is a commemoration of the Jan 6th two year anniversary taking place right now on the Capitol steps. Out of the 200 or so congress people attending the commemoration, ABC News reports that very few of them are Republicans. 

Maybe they're saving up their energy for the next dozen McCarthy votes. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @4    last year

What a bunch of assholes!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1    last year

I agree, the Republicans without the decency or patriotism to commemorate the Jan 6th attack, on Jan 6, are assholes. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.2  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.1    last year

Yup, The second anniversary of the worst day in American history since the attack on Pearl Harbor!

Did you cry?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.2    last year

Your delusions appear to be expanding. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.4  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.3    last year

I thought having a bell ring as names were read was a nice touch. Don't you think so?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Sean Treacy  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.2    last year

I must have missed the progressives commemorating the officers and secret service agents injured during their 2020 assault on the White House.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.6  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.5    last year

Progressives broke down the doors of the White House and rampaged the place? When was that?  I must have been sleeping . 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.7  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.5    last year

They just did. They claim that 140 officers were seriously injured. Bells were ringing as they said it.

Oh, you mean the 2020 riots?  That's all forgotten!

(Paul Pelosi was masterbaiting)

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.8  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.6    last year

It was when they had to take the President down to a bunker and you guys were makling jokes about it. Remember?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.9  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.8    last year

Please post the pictures of a progressive mob breaking down the doors of the White House, entering by the hundreds, and rampaging the place. I think we would all be interested in those photos. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.10  Sean Treacy  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.8    last year

Yeah, injuring police and secret service was a big joke until Jan 2021. Rioters attacking the White House  forced Trump to be moved to a bunker! Lol

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.11  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.9    last year

good point. If the police had successfully contained the  Jan 6 rioters and they had just spent hours assaulting and injuring officers, you would have laughed and called it a nothing burger, right? 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.12  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.9    last year

John, we all know that they were only yards from the White House and had just burned down a Church. If the AG hadn't told the security forces to increase the perimiter the next morning, they surely would have. Had they have stormed the White House, the media would have called it a protest gone bad and it would have been no big deal...as the riots that killed two dozen were.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.13  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.10    last year

Those rioters killed two dozen people. It's barely a footnote.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.14  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.12    last year

So I guess you have no pictures showing a mob enter the White House, such as what happened at the capitol on Jan 6. 

I guess they are not the same and equivalent then, are they? 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.15  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.14    last year

I do have pictures of the 2020 rioters setting a police station on fire with people in it:

th?id=OIP.YFeBD-hCkC1YO5PZPo286gHaEK&pid=Api&rs=1&c=1&qlt=95&w=215&h=120

They aren't of the same equivalent. The 2020 riots were far worse.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.16  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.15    last year

which one of those riots attempted to obstruct a joint session of congress that was completing a constitutionally mandated process?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1.17  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.6    last year
I must have been sleeping . 

You seem to do that a lot.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1.18  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  devangelical @4.1.16    last year
which one of those riots attempted to obstruct a joint session of congress that was completing a constitutionally mandated process?

That's right.  Destruction of cities across the country over a drug addicts overdose doesn't effect the people as much as a protest in Washington D.C.

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
4.1.19  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.1.18    last year

Which cities were destroyed?  I just checked and all of our cities are still there.  

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1.20  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @4.1.19    last year

Tell us you haven't paid attention to a damn thing without telling us.  

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
4.1.21  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.1.20    last year

Instead of attacking me, answer the fucking question, but we all know you have no answer. Typical. 

Hyperbole much?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1.22  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @4.1.21    last year

Instead of attacking me, answer the fucking question

I answered your "fucking question" before you ask it.  Seems you can't pay attention to what was said 5 minutes ago let alone to anything about the riots of 2020.

I guess the outrage is really more about what you support instead of it just plain happening. 

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
4.1.23  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.1.22    last year

I just reviewed all of your comments on this article and you did not answer the question of which cities were destroyed  So, yes, answer the fucking question.  Which cities were destroyed?  Answer is None.  No cities were fucking destroyed.  All you have hyperbole.  Your outrage is nothing but fucking histrionics.  Save your drama for the people that mindlessly agree with you.  

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1.24  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @4.1.23    last year
I just reviewed all of your comments on this article and you did not answer the question of which cities were destroyed 

So your attention span is in question as well as your comprehension skills.

So, yes, answer the fucking question. 

It's cute you actually think you are in ANY position of authority over me.  I guess "Wishful Thinking" is how you operate.  Tell me how that's working for you.

Your outrage is nothing but fucking histrionics.

My "outrage"?  I'm not the one demanding an answer to a question.  

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
4.1.25  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.1.24    last year

Again, you have nothing but histrionics and hyperbole.  You've answered nothing and now you're just making shit up.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.26  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.1    last year

Because those gqp republicans played a part of the failed coup.  They're vermin scum

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.27  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.7    last year

Do you often fantasize about other men masturbating?  That's a lie about Paul Pelosi.  All you have 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.28  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.8    last year

lol I thought he was going to waddle to the Capitol.  He was masturbating watching the vermin scum destroying/attacking people/police/security and shitting and pissing inside the Capitol, etc.  They're doing this for me as he bops his baloney.

Babbit got exactly what she deserved.  Traitor bitch.  Send the other vermin scrum cockroaches scrambling also.  Win-win!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.1.29  Greg Jones  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @4.1.23    last year
"No cities were fucking destroyed"

Nobody claimed they were.. But a lot of damage was done and many people were hurt.

And by the way....the Capitol wasn't destroyed either...just some minor damage in fact.

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
4.1.30  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  Greg Jones @4.1.29    last year

I never said the Capitol was destroyed, so that was a bad attempt at deflection. 

Destruction of cities across the country

There's the claim in all of its hyperbolic glory. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1.31  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @4.1.25    last year
You've answered nothing and now you're just making shit up.  

And yet, you haven't proven anything I've stated wrong.  Why is that?  

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
4.1.32  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.1.31    last year

So, you're still sticking to the lame ass story that cites were destroyed, yet you never answered what cities were destroyed.  I can't prove you wrong if you don't answer the question because absolutely no cities were destroyed.  They're all there.  So, why didn't you answer my question is the new question? Second question is why are you replying to comments I made 4 days ago when you couldn't reply to them at the time?  

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1.33  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @4.1.32    last year
[deleted]

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
4.1.34  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.1.33    last year

You keep running your mouth by replying to me so yeah, I'll keep on replying to you.  You don't even know what you are talking about anymore.  I asked you over and over again what cities have been destroyed.  How can I prove you wrong if you won't answer the question?  Fuck you're dense.  AND NO CITIES WERE DESTROYED, NONE.  There, I proved you wrong since you supplied the same amount of proof that cities were destroyed.    

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.2  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @4    last year

Democrats celebrating their most beloved day Jan 6th. Oh the joy they feel! The elation they have!

They, and their media shills, will try and force everyone to remember it forever. Since they have no achievements other than running this country into the ground for the last two years, it is all they have to divert voters attention.

More officers and Feds were injured during the leftist Brown shirt Summer of Love than Jan 6th. More civilians assaulted and killed. More damage was done to private, public, state, and federal property. 

More than 2,000 law enforcement officers were injured in the first weeks of protests over the summer following the police killing of George Floyd, according to a report released in October. The Major Cities Chiefs Association, a professional association comprised of local law enforcement heads from the 69 largest police agencies in the United States and nine in Canada, detailed the unrest and compiled data from protests between May 25 and July 31 in MCCA member cities.

the death toll from two weeks of demonstrations over the death of George Floyd continues to creep upward, with at least 19 people—a majority of whom are black—now dead. 

Riots sparked by the  police killing of George Floyd  could cost insurance companies $1 billion to $2 billion — possibly making them the most expensive in US history, an industry group says.

The potentially record-setting insured losses piled up as the demonstrations sometimes descended into looting, arson and vandalism in more than 20 states across the country from May 26 to June 8, according to the Insurance Information Institute.

“It’s not just happening in one city or state — it’s all over the country,” Loretta L. Worters, a spokeswoman for the group,  told Axios , which first reported on the estimates Wednesday. “And this is still happening, so the losses could be significantly more.”

Maybe Democrats should remember all the inciting their politicians and talking heads have done?

Try to ignore the information coming out about Pelosi's role in fucking up security on Jan 6th. The Republicans already release a report blasting Pelosi, Bowser, and Schumer. The fired head of DC Security has a book out blaming Pelosi for "politicizing" DC security and hamstringing it's ability to do it's job. 

So celebrate Jan 6th while you can. The truth is coming out; and Democrats aren't going to like it.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.2.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Ronin2 @4.2    last year

As long as the "Lost Cause Jan 6th " deniers keep misrepresenting the truth I will treat them like the unpatriotic scum they are. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.2.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JohnRussell @4.2.1    last year

Misrepresenting the truth.  And exactly what truth has been "misrepresented"?  Lets see your links.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.2.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ronin2 @4.2    last year
The fired head of DC Security has a book out blaming Pelosi for "politicizing" DC security and hamstringing it's ability to do it's job. 

Which is covered:

Notice how the left is absent from trying to disprove ANY OF IT.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.2.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.2.2    last year

get lost waste of time

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.2.5  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JohnRussell @4.2.4    last year

Oh, what's wrong?  Can't back up your claims (AGAIN)?

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
4.2.6  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.2.5    last year

Oh, that's cute.  You asking for someone to back up their claims when you can't answer a simple question.  jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.7  Tessylo  replied to  Ronin2 @4.2    last year

[Deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.8  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @4.2.7    last year

JEREMY ALSO, HE'S ON IGNORE.  BRINGS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO THE TABLE LIKE THE MAJORITY OF HIS BUDDIES

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.2.10  Greg Jones  replied to  Ronin2 @4.2    last year
"Democrats celebrating their most beloved day Jan 6th. Oh the joy they feel! The elation they have".

It's a high holy day to them. They'll by commemorating it a decade from now.

They're milking this has baked riot and demonstration gone bad for all its worth.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.11  TᵢG  replied to  Greg Jones @4.2.10    last year

Was it wrong for the Trump supporters to engage in an armed break-in of the Capitol and cause the disruption of Congress?

Do you believe that history will find this to be an insignificant, meaningless event?

In short, why would anyone NOT find the Jan 6th events (and the Big Lie campaign that precipitated it) to be distasteful and a stain on our nation?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.2.12  Snuffy  replied to  Greg Jones @4.2.10    last year

They do need to fix Biden's cue cards however so he doesn't again confuse it with July 6th.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.2.13  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Snuffy @4.2.12    last year

Well, it does scare the bejesus out of his handlers when he goes off script on the cue cards because they never know what will come out of his mouth!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.14  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @4.2.12    last year

That's a moronic comment

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5  Sean Treacy    last year

Pelosi was the first speaker to not allow a single floor amendment from the opposition party.   She, with the help of her elected  mindless glasses of water, made the peoples house more anti democratic than it had ever been.   

George
Junior Expert
5.1  George  replied to  Sean Treacy @5    last year
Pelosi was the first speaker

In history to be so absolutely worthless that she lost the speakership twice.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  George @5.1    last year

How many Speakers have that on their record?

George
Junior Expert
5.1.2  George  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.1    last year

Since 1900 Sam Rayburn, also a democrat lost it 3 times, 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.3  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  George @5.1.2    last year

Ahh yes!

If she lives long enough she may have one more chance to tie the record

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.1.4  Jasper2529  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.3    last year

Bite your tongue! The woman has trouble keeping her dentures in her mouth!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.5  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.1.4    last year

And it looks like she had trouble keeping a hatchet out of her face!

George
Junior Expert
5.1.6  George  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.3    last year

She should spend more time keeping male prostitutes away from Paul, Maybe that's wheyshe wants to be an ambassador?

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.1.7  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.3    last year

Looks like Kevin is going for a baker's dozen.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.8  Tessylo  replied to  Hallux @5.1.7    last year

Yet all they have is deflecting to and pissing all over Nancy

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
5.1.9  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.5    last year

Probably own stock in Botox!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.2  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sean Treacy @5    last year

Can we ever forget the way she made her members walk the plank for Obamacare?

Many of them paid with their political careers.  

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.3  devangelical  replied to  Sean Treacy @5    last year

the events between election day 11/20 to 1/6/21 -

made the peoples house more anti democratic than it had ever been

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.3.1  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @5.3    last year

Nothing but endless lies and incitement and planning for the not yet failed coup on 1/6

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6  author  Vic Eldred    last year

FlueH_AXEAw_eBy?format=jpg&name=small

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @6    last year

Is this similar to Reagan's amnesty program?

Speaking of colossal horrors, one of those would be stephen miller, the anal warts on Satan's ass

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
7  author  Vic Eldred    last year

Democratic governor sending migrants to NYC

NghjGou_?format=jpg&name=small

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
7.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @7    last year

And the little whining coward NYC Mayor crying "it's not fair".  Looks like NYC's declaration that it's a sanctuary city was merely virtue signaling that has been called out.

independent Liberal
Freshman Quiet
7.1.1  independent Liberal  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @7.1    last year

Shipping people across the country? What does that say about us as people? We put so little value on the lives of these people we are ok allowing human beings to be transported across the country as cheap dime store political pawns?

It's disgusting and anyone that supports this is an inhuman, immoral pos!  A country of immigrants treating desperate people like animals. Wow this country is F'd because the warped minds of people that support things like this.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
7.1.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  independent Liberal @7.1.1    last year

You obviously don't know the full background on the movement of illegals throughout the country.  I'll get you started.

Biden secretly flying underage migrants into NY in dead of night

NYC, Martha's Vineyard, Washington D.C., Chicago all declared themselves Sanctuary Cities, that they would welcome the "newcomers".  But when these "newcomers" arrived these "welcoming" shit holes reneged and the "newcomers" were shipped off to other locations for them to deal with.  

Texas, Colorado and Florida haven't tried to move anybody under the cover of darkness and in Florida's case, they have documents signed by the "migrants" stating that they boarded the buses by their own accord.  

You want me to feel sorry for them?  Not going to happen.  There is a process that should be followed.  They are sidestepping the process.  They are here ILLEGALLY and should be removed.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
8  Nerm_L    last year

The big item looming on the legislative agenda is raising the debt limit.  The fear is that McCarthy will cave.  We've already observed during the speaker fight that McCarthy will trade away everything for his own political benefit.  This isn't about 'The Party' any longer.  The Republican Party no longer has a policy agenda so factions are required to fight for their own cause -- screw 'The Party'.  The Republican Party trying to stand for everything only means the Republican Party stands for nothing.  It's every man for himself.  And Kevin McCarthy trying to serve himself won't unify Republicans.  McCarthy is a left coast Republican, after all.

Not even Reagan could unify the current Republican Party without a policy agenda.

Hallux
PhD Principal
9  Hallux    last year

My X is coming by for lunch ... a good thing seeing that I need an extra pair of hands to count all the squirrels.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
10  author  Vic Eldred    last year
Canada to re-educate Jordan Peterson for ‘wrongthink’

V9ZBiL_x?format=jpg&name=small

Hallux
PhD Principal
10.1  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @10    last year

Why not use a Canadian source? This one could become one of your faves:

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
10.1.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @10.1    last year

Great site. My computer almost crashed.

Hallux
PhD Principal
10.1.2  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @10.1.1    last year

I'll say a prayer for it.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
10.1.3  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @10.1.2    last year

You're always trying to help!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.2  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @10    last year

Do you also have a crush on Mr. Trudeau?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
11  Jasper2529    last year

Both Biden and KJP said that J6 was the worst attack on democracy since the Civil War.

Biden ... April, 2021 ...

KJP ... December, 2022 ...

They've obviously never learned about Pearl Harbor and September 11, 2001.

One more ...

Roy Lasley
Former Ssgt at  U.S. Air Force  (2004–2014) 1y
Originally Answered:   Was Jan. 6th the worst attack on our country since the civil war, some even carrying the confederate battle flag?
Simply no. There have been worse attacks on the US. In the grand scheme of things Jan 6th wasn't even a speed bump.

December 7th 1941 Japanese attack on Peral Harbor.

February 26, 1993 World Trade Center Bombing 6 Deaths 1,042 injured

April 19, 1995 Oklahoma City Bombing 168 Deaths

September 11, 2001 World Trade Center and Pentagon attacks 2,966 Deaths

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Jasper2529 @11    last year
Both Biden and KJP said that J6 was the worst attack on democracy since the Civil War.
They've obviously never learned about Pearl Harbor and September 11, 2001.

Those were attacks by foreign parties, as an act of war on our country, not the ideals of democracy. Sorry, but not the same thing.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
11.1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.1    last year

So you don't think that those attacks were indeed attacks on our democracy? Whether foreign parties or not? Sorry can't agree. Why else would they attack us? They didn't like us nor our principles and ideals. Our very fabric of existence.

George
Junior Expert
11.1.2  George  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @11.1.1    last year

I'm still trying to figure out which foreign country attacked Oklahoma City.

I guess we need a better demonstration of what an attack on democracy is? Was the civil war an attack on democracy? they still had elections in the south. so was it a democracy attacking another democracy? 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
11.1.3  Ronin2  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.1    last year

Really? Were the Japanese a Democracy when they attacked Pearl Harbor? How about the countries the 9/11 terrorists were from; or Afghanistan where they were trained/organized? 

Don't remember Democrats saying the Oklahoma City bombing wasn't an attack on Democracy. That was done by Americans BTW. 

If things had gone their way would the US still be a Democracy today?

Love the hyperbole and drama from Democrats and leftists. Jan 6th was the first "insurrection" where the participants got bored and left for happy hour. 

Keep the Jan 6th dream alive! Maybe it will work again with voters in 2024. 

independent Liberal
Freshman Quiet
11.1.4  independent Liberal  replied to  Ronin2 @11.1.3    last year

I remember when America rolled in to Iraq where no weapons of mass destruction were found. The Human cost in the region was abhorrent. 306,000 civilians were slaughtered. That's democracy right? The cost of it? The price for freedom?

America is not free, you are not free, we surrendered much of that. If you enter the capital building you are a terrorist and your due process is the last thing anyone cares about. The terrorist label killed 70,000 in Afghanistan and imprisoned thousands more most of whom were poor farmers. The laws during this time period have made us all potential terrorist suspects. At some point in the near future all of us may experience the impact of the legal changes during the War on Terror. It will one day be impossible to espouse opinions online without the threat of losing what little freedom you have left.

One thing is for certain, someone thinks each and every one of us is a terrorist and will be a willing participant cheering for their tribes actions as they persecute your thought crimes.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.1.5  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @11.1.1    last year

Because they had the idea of splitting up the world between two powers. War by an outside party is a totally different thing than war within a country.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
11.1.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  independent Liberal @11.1.4    last year
306,000 civilians were slaughtered

How many were killed by US forces and how many by terrorist's?

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
11.1.7  afrayedknot  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.1    last year

Three dates will live in infamy…December 7th, 9/11, and January 6th. Attacks all.

Hallux
PhD Principal
11.1.8  Hallux  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @11.1.1    last year
Why else would they attack us?

As to the Japanese, it had to do with them securing oil and other resources ... the US had placed an economic embargo over Japan.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.1.9  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  George @11.1.2    last year

Two nuts who were mad at the FBI for Waco and Ruby Ridge, went radical and decided to blow up an FBI building is hardly an attack on democracy. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
11.1.10  Jasper2529  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.1    last year
Those were attacks by foreign parties, as an act of war on our country, not the ideals of democracy. Sorry, but not the same thing.

I see you ignored the 1995 Oklahoma attack I cited. It was a domestic terrorism attack on the "ideals of democracy". How quickly we forget.

Casualties

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.1.12  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ronin2 @11.1.3    last year
Really? Were the Japanese a Democracy when they attacked Pearl Harbor?

No they weren't a democracy, but it really doesn't matter. It was a world war. The Japanese were at war for a different reason than Germany, and Russia was an ally of us. We're they a democracy? You can't compare a world war to an internal conflict.

How about the countries the 9/11 terrorists ....

So first of all, that is beyond personal to me, since it was not only an attack on my city, but I was actually there. Don't you think I might be invested in what happened there? Those people wanted us out of Afghanistan and out of the ME and our support of Israel which Bin Lenden spelled out in an official letter. He didn't give a damn about taking down our country. He was trying to take a dump on us so we would leave.

I already went over Oklahoma City.

Not recognizing what Jan 6 was is what keeps it alive. Personally, I would like to get past it and move on.

independent Liberal
Freshman Quiet
11.1.13  independent Liberal  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @11.1.6    last year

In Iraq? That number is from Iraq alone. It actually does not include people indirectly affected that died of a loss of infrastructure etc. Doctors without Borders estimates the number over 2 million.

I thought we were looking for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, what does that have to do with terrorism? 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.1.14  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Jasper2529 @11.1.10    last year
Oklahoma City

I have already addressed it and if we want to quote wiki:

Motive [ edit ]

220px-Mountcarmelfire04-19-93-l.jpg
McVeigh and Nichols cited the federal government's actions against the   Branch Davidian   compound in the 1993   Waco siege   (shown above) as a reason why they perpetrated the Oklahoma City bombing.

The chief conspirators, Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols, met in 1988 at   Fort Benning   during   basic training   for the U.S. Army. [17]   McVeigh met Michael Fortier as his Army roommate. [18]   The three shared interests in   survivalism . [19] [20]   McVeigh and Nichols were radicalized by white supremacist and antigovernment propaganda. [21]   They expressed anger at the federal government's handling of the 1992   Federal Bureau of Investigation   (FBI) standoff with   Randy Weaver   at   Ruby Ridge , as well as the   Waco siege , a 51-day standoff in 1993 between the FBI and   Branch Davidian   members that began with a botched   Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms   (ATF) attempt to execute a   search warrant . There was a firefight and ultimately a siege of the compound, resulting in the burning and shooting deaths of   David Koresh   and 75 others. [22]   In March 1993, McVeigh visited the Waco site during the standoff, and again after the siege ended. [23]   He later decided to bomb a federal building as a response to the raids and to protest what he believed to be US government efforts to restrict rights of private citizens, in particular those under the Second Amendment. [12] [24] [25] [26] [27]   McVeigh believed that federal agents were acting like soldiers, thus making an attack on a federal building an attack on their command centers. [28]

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
11.1.15  afrayedknot  replied to    last year

“Jan 6th is already forgotten by "Normal" folks,”

Methinks you misquote “Normal” with the more appropriate ‘abnormal’…those sad individuals who forget the meaning of democracy and tacitly, ignorantly support its suppression. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
11.1.16  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Hallux @11.1.8    last year

We placed an embargo on Japan after they had attacked and taken Korea, Manchuria, were attacking strategic cities in China and was looking at Indochina.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11.1.17  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.1    last year

Pearl Harbor was not an attack on democracy. The japanese wanted a far east empire and the US , and Britain, would not allow it. They attacked the US in the hope of either winning a quick war or getting the US to back down on their opposition to Japanese territorial ambitions. 

Sep 11th was arguably an attack on democracy, Waco and Mc veigh are not. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.1.19  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @11.1.17    last year
Sep 11th was arguably an attack on democracy

Not according to Bin Laden.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11.1.20  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @11.1.17    last year

The thing that made Jan 6th an attack on democracy was the nature of the intentions.  They wanted to subvert the keystone of democracy, the sanctity of the vote. 

Ender
Professor Principal
11.1.21  Ender  replied to  JohnRussell @11.1.20    last year

They have to know that John. I gather they just don't care.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
11.1.22  Jasper2529  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.1.14    last year

Your point?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
11.1.23  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to    last year
Apparently True "Infamy" doesn't mean what it used to mean anymore.

You know they will change the definitions to fit their narrative.  

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
11.1.24  afrayedknot  replied to    last year

"Democracy wasn't destroyed by Jan. 6th, as the Vote Counts for elections "After the Fact", surpassed even the "Media's Fake Suppression/Jim Crow 2.0" mis-information Crap ! 

What?

[Deleted] relieve us from having to decipher such illiterate idiocy. 

Hallux
PhD Principal
11.1.25  Hallux  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @11.1.16    last year
Indochina.

That 'skirmish' was all about rubber and synthetics still being several years away from mass production:

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.1.26  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Jasper2529 @11.1.22    last year

His purpose was not to destroy our democracy but for us to mind our own business. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
11.1.27  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  independent Liberal @11.1.13    last year
In Iraq? That number is from Iraq alone.

Yes, and I asked how many were killed by US forces versus by other Iraqis or regional terrorists.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.1.28  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @11.1.23    last year
Apparently True "Infamy" doesn't mean what it used to mean anymore. You know they will change the definitions to fit their narrative.  

First of all, all those events were infamous. What we are discussing is what was the purpose of them and that varies.

And what narrative? Facts are facts. What I read here is people trying to defend and act that should have never happened and the reason it happened is that those people wanted to stop the peaceful transfer of power, which indeed is a threat to our democracy. It is what has been going on since the country started and is a gift that our founding fathers gave us.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
11.1.29  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.1.28    last year
he peaceful transfer of power, which indeed is a threat to our democracy.

Perpetrated by who?  There are conflicting versions of what happened that day.  Which one is "fact"?  

It is what has been going on since the country started and is a gift that our founding fathers gave us.

So keeping that in mind, it's suddenly a problem?  Or is it only a problem from a certain perspective?

George
Junior Expert
11.1.30  George  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.1.9    last year

Why? Because you say so? I’m not defending the Jan 6 attackers but they sure weren’t attacking democracy. The hyperbole around it is hysterical. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.1.31  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  George @11.1.30    last year

Trying to stop the peaceful transfer of power, is an attack on democracy, as it undermines the whole premise of our elections. It is those who can't see it, that make this an endless issue.

And it's not because I say so. It's because it is a fact.

You might want to read this:

or this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peaceful_transition_of_power#:~:text=A%20peaceful%20transition%20or%20transfer,to%20a%20newly%2Delected%20leadership .

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.1.34  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @11.1.29    last year
Perpetrated by who?  There are conflicting versions of what happened that day.  Which one is "fact"?  

According to the police present. According to Pence. According to both Dems and Republicans there.

So keeping that in mind, it's suddenly a problem?  Or is it only a problem from a certain perspective?

The problem is that this should have never happened. That there was a plan to stop the peaceful transfer of power. The only perspective is what the nation witnessed that day. The problem is that there are some people who don't see this as a problem.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
11.1.35  Jasper2529  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.1.26    last year

Oh, I see. Domestic terrorism perpetrated by Americans isn't threatening to democracy as international terrorism perpetrated by foreigners. SMH

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.1.36  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Jasper2529 @11.1.35    last year

Shake your head as much as you like, because it is obvious to me that you didn't read a word I said. The words to remember are purpose and motivation.

Anyway, this mincing of words is irrelevant. If you want to say that all those previous events threaten our democracy, fine with me. But we did it to ourselves on Jan 6.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
11.1.37  Jasper2529  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.1.36    last year
But we did it to ourselves on Jan 6.

Don't put me in the same categories as you and others for what you did on J6. I was hundreds of miles away from DC on that date! Sheeeeesh!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.1.38  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Jasper2529 @11.1.37    last year

You are way too literal. I meant as a country. Sheeeesh. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
11.1.39  Jasper2529  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @11.1.29    last year
There are conflicting versions of what happened that day.  Which one is "fact"?  

True. We still don't have "facts" about ...

1. Ray Epps, the self-proclaimed instigator (on video) of J6, that the FBI and Pelosi never investigated
  2. The pipe bombs

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
11.1.40  Jasper2529  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.1.38    last year
You are way too literal.

No, Perrie.You said "we" in comment 11.1.36 . By using that pronoun , you led readers to believe that you included yourself. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.1.41  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Jasper2529 @11.1.40    last year

Again, that is too literal and I am not falling into that trap with you.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11.1.42  JohnRussell  replied to  Jasper2529 @11.1.40    last year
By using that pronoun, you led readers to believe that you included yourself. 

Feel free to stop making a fool out of yourself at any time. "We" is a perfectly appropriate way for an individual to describe actions of their countrymen. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11.1.43  JohnRussell  replied to  Jasper2529 @11.1.39    last year
Ray Epps, the self-proclaimed instigator (on video) of J6, that the FBI and Pelosi never investigated

This is borderline insanity. Even if, for no good reason, we stipulate that "Ray Epps" instigated something, so what? Did he instigate the Proud boys? Did he instigate the Oath Keepers? Did he instigate the white supremacists?  Are you claiming that without Ray Epps the insurrection would not have occurred ? 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
11.1.44  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.1    last year

Well how about these attacks?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
11.1.45  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @11.1.43    last year

Where were you during the late 60's/early 70's?

1061691854.jpg
"Early 1971 was a time of heightened tension in Washington, D.C. Police are shown trying to remove protesters on May 1, 1971, at a massive rally that occurred just weeks after a bomb was planted in a washroom below the Senate chamber.  (Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images)"

How come nothing was done about that?

Aren't those young radicals the same people holding complete power today?

Gazoo
Junior Silent
11.1.46  Gazoo  replied to  JohnRussell @11.1.43    last year

Epps did more, way more to instigate the  so called “insurrection” than trump did. And all you can say about that is a limp noodle “so what”pathetic.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1.47  Tessylo  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.1.12    last year

Once trump and all those responsible for 1/6 including fake electors are held accountable/behind bars and then I would be glad 'to get past it and move along' - EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM INCLUDING THE INCITER IN CHIEF

Hallux
PhD Principal
11.1.48  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1.44    last year

You get one more link to CBC after which Canadian conservatives will condemn you as being a far left troll.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1.49  Tessylo  replied to  afrayedknot @11.1.15    last year

HOW COULD ONE FORGET 1/6 AND IF SO, WHY ARE THEY COMMENTING ABOUT IT???????????

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1.50  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @11.1.22    last year

Your point?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1.51  Tessylo  replied to  afrayedknot @11.1.24    last year

Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1.52  Tessylo  replied to  George @11.1.30    last year

BECAUSE IT IS THE TRUTH, THAT'S WHYjrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1.53  Tessylo  replied to    last year

Do you even know what cancel culture, woke, SJW, etc., even mean?

Please tell us

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1.54  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @11.1.42    last year

Some folks do nothing but deflect among other things

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
11.1.55  Greg Jones  replied to  afrayedknot @11.1.7    last year
"Three dates will live in infamy…December 7th, 9/11, and January 6th."

Not the last one....not even close. Get real.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
11.1.56  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @11.1.49    last year

What's so special about January 6. It was a demonstration that got of hand because of a handful of radical right morons.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
11.1.57  afrayedknot  replied to  Greg Jones @11.1.56    last year

“…a handful of radical right morons.”

…thousands goaded into action to intervene in one of our most precious of birthrights…the peaceful, repeat peaceful, transition of power. And goaded into action by the sitting President who indubitably lost the election. 

So yes, it is a day that will indeed live in infamy. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
11.1.58  Snuffy  replied to  George @11.1.30    last year

The phrase "attacking democracy" is a nice sound bite and I'm sure the majority of those protesting at the Capital on Jan 6th felt they were defending democracy from the evil bastards on the left who stole the election.  Personally I really don't care what it's called.  Those to entered the Capital were very wrong to do so.  While there are some who planned on attacking the Capital I feel confident that there were many stupid people who just got caught up with the riot and entered the Capital without any real thought or plan.  I base this on the simple fact that for the number of people who entered the Capital there was relatively little damage.

Those who entered the Capital are paying for their actions and the investigations continue as well as legal proceedings.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
11.1.59  TᵢG  replied to  Greg Jones @11.1.56    last year
What's so special about January 6.

facepalm-really.gif

This is the first time in US history that a mob (thousands of people) rioted the Capitol (that includes its grounds) where hundreds of same engaged in violence to disrupt the proceedings of Congress.

The mob responded to the claims by the sitting PotUS who, for the first time in US history, bucked the peaceful transition and attempted through lies, coercion, subornation, and general abuse of the authority of the office of PotUS, to steal a US election.

That alone should illustrate why this event is historically significant (and 'special').    

My question is why this need even be illustrated.    Is it not obvious to everyone why Jan 6, 2021 is historically significant to the USA?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.1.60  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1.44    last year

So I had to check out these events on the captial.

The first one was: Eric Muenter  (March 25, 1871 – July 6, 1915), also known as  Erich Münter Erich Muenter Erich Holt  or  Frank Holt , was a German-American activist and would-be  assassin . Although employed as a German professor at elite American universities, he was actually a spy and a "fanatic in the clandestine service of the Imperial German government." [1]  

He was German, acting out on behalf of Germany who we were heading into war with. I would classify this as an act of war.

The Puerto Rican nationalist attack is a gray area, since whether they like it or not, Puerto Rico is part of the US, and therefore, it was an attack on the country. The reason it's not quite the same as Jan 6, is that they were not trying to stop the peaceful transfer of power, but rather be rid of the US. It could be considered a civil war in a way.

The bombing in Laos had nada to do with anything about our democracy other than wanting us out.

The 1983 bombing of the senate by the Armed Resistance Unit was an attack on an institution they felt were too involved in Lebanon and Grenada.  

There is really nothing close in our history to what happened on Jan 6.

Only England has any equivalent. Guy Faulks and his gang did try to take down Parlement, but as an institution and as an actual building. If you are talking about a threat to democracy, you have to look at what they were hoping to achieve.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
11.1.61  TᵢG  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.1.60    last year

Exactly.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
11.1.62  Sean Treacy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.1.60    last year
really nothing close in our history to what happened on Jan 6.

Well sure. When you define something so narrowly that's going to happen. If the only way you can "attack democracy" is to participate in a riot on the exact day the election is certified, than sure, Jan 6th is unique.  But there have been countless (actually deadly) attacks in our history trying to subvert Democracy.  

. hell, one of my ancestors (a Chicago cop) was arrested after a riot at the polling place as part of a democratic plot using Chicago police to keep Republicans from voting in the 1880 Presidential election.  Somehow the Republic survived and it was immediately forgotten about.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11.1.63  JohnRussell  replied to  Snuffy @11.1.58    last year

No one should have been there on Jan 6th.  There was no actual basis for a so called protest. The "stolen election" was a figment of Trumps evil scheming, and nothing more. Donald Trump was going to do what he did , period, if he lost. He was going to do it in 2016 if he had lost, but didnt have to. The gullibility of MAGA is off the charts. 

No one had a legitimate cause to be at the Capitol Building "protesting" that day. No one. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.1.64  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @11.1.62    last year

Sean,

The civil war was an attack on our democracy. The decision was after that period, and since then, nothing much has.

Of course, if someone tries to blow up our government in progress, that would be an attack on our gov.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
11.1.65  Sean Treacy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.1.64    last year
The decision was after that period, and since then, nothing much has.

I'm sure all the people murdered in the 1876 election, for instance, would disagree with that. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.1.66  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @11.1.65    last year

Again, that had to do with the Civil war and of course racism.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
11.1.67  Sean Treacy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.1.66    last year
, that had to do with the Civil war and of course racism.

Well no, the Civil War ended in 1865.  But that's my point, you just keep excluding all other "attacks on democracy" for one reason or another, then yes, of course, the riot on Jan 6th is "unique".  Everything is unique when you pile qualification upon qualification.  but sure, no other riot occurred on the capitol grounds, on Jan 6th, when it was 40 degrees outside and partly cloudy. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
11.1.68  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.1.60    last year

If it was such a stand alone egregious event, then why do democrats blatantly lie about the event?

For example Hakim Jeffries spoke at the memorial and claimed that 5 Police officers lost their lives during the event. (The only person who was killed was an unarmed civilian.) Check out 3:30 of the video:

TᵢG
Professor Principal
11.1.70  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1.68    last year
If it was such a stand alone egregious event, then why do democrats blatantly lie about the event?

Partisans lie, Vic.   They push reality past the extremes in pursuit of partisan advantage.

The fact that partisans engage in lies (and exaggerations) does not change the reality of Jan 6th (and the context under which it happened ... the Big Lie).

Why do you try to downplay the significance of Jan 6th?   Just blows my mind how people continue to defend Trump instead of standing up and noting (and condemning) the wrongdoing of Trump and make the statement that this should never happen again in our system.

SMH

Snuffy
Professor Participates
11.1.71  Snuffy  replied to  JohnRussell @11.1.63    last year
No one should have been there on Jan 6th.  There was no actual basis for a so called protest.

You didn't say the same thing about all the people who were in Washington protesting on Jan 20th, 2017 now did you. 

You don't get to decide for people if they have a reason to protest or not, it's not your decision to make.  You can only put out your opinion and after your several hundred "I Hate Trump" seeds everybody knows your opinion. 

If you want to do away with the First Amendment (Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the  thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.) there is a process to do so.  I doubt that any such Constitutional amendment would pass however so if  you really want to live where people cannot decide for themselves if they have something to protest about then I suggest maybe you should move to North Korea.  Then you won't need to worry about what reasons people may have to assemble to protest as it will be officially spelled out by the government.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.1.72  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1.68    last year

He said and I quote:

"As a result of what happened on Jan 6th lives of 5 heroic officers were loss."

He didn't say they were killed on that day. They committed suicide from what happened that day.

I just watched a blow-by-blow event of what those officers endured. I honestly don't know how any law abiding citizen could ever say that what happened on that day was anything less than an attack on our government, and the buildings it represents.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.1.73  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @11.1.67    last year
Well no, the Civil War ended in 1865.  But that's my point, you just keep excluding all other "attacks on democracy" for one reason or another, then yes, of course, the riot on Jan 6th is "unique". 

Sean,

You can look at 20 different murders, and see that courts gave out different sentences.The reason for that is that they look at the intent, and the actions taken that caused those murders. 

Not all attacks on Gov buildings are for the same reason. I gave you one that was equal but not here, but in England, when Guy Faulks tried to take down Parlement.

I'm sorry that you don't look at the motivations, but I do. That takes more effort.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
11.1.74  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.1.72    last year
"As a result of what happened on Jan 6th lives of 5 heroic officers were loss."

Officer Sicknick, who has been memorialized by Pelosi & co was found to have died from natural causes.  Can you tell us who the other 4 were and how their deaths were related to the Jan 6 riot? Sorry, but all those who mention them have never explained. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
11.1.75  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  TᵢG @11.1.70    last year
Why do you try to downplay the significance of Jan 6th?

Because it has been used politically.

JBB
Professor Principal
11.1.76  JBB  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1.75    last year

Are you kidding? Trump is running again!

Yes! It is political! Trump caused Jan 6th!

I hear you. You want us to forget about it.

original

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
11.1.77  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @11.1.76    last year

And how many democrats will once agian be voting for him in open primaries?

JBB
Professor Principal
11.1.78  JBB  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1.77    last year

I do not know. NY is not an open primary state. But, we can still donate to Trump!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
11.1.79  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @11.1.78    last year

So we can forget about an indictment?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
11.1.80  Ronin2  replied to  TᵢG @11.1.61    last year

The Civil War ring a bell?

Damn, didn't even have to dig for that one.

JBB
Professor Principal
11.1.81  JBB  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1.79    last year

original

TᵢG
Professor Principal
11.1.82  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1.75    last year

So you intentionally present Jan 6th as less significant than it actually was (the meaning of downplay) because of partisan reasons.

Too bad so many refuse to work with plain truth instead of constantly twisting and 'downplaying' reality to suit their partisan desires.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
11.1.83  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1.77    last year

Makes sense to me that a D would vote for Trump in an open primary.   Do you blame them?   Trump is a near guarantee win for the Ds.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.1.83  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1.74    last year

Come on Vic, these 4 officers committed suicide within a few months talked about their trauma from that day. Police officers don't do that from one precinct for no reason. 

As for Officer Sicknick, the death was ruled natural death from stroke, but this man endured being sprayed with an unknown chemical, sustained injuries during the attack, and then collapsed. Do you think that would have happened under any other circumstances?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
11.1.84  TᵢG  replied to  Ronin2 @11.1.80    last year

Pay attention, Ronin, we were talking about attacks on the Capitol, not any event in American history.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.1.85  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ronin2 @11.1.80    last year

Are you kidding? You might want to read up this thread. The Civil War was mentioned many times.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
11.1.86  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.1.83    last year

It can be argued that as many police officers die from suicide as in the line of duty. In none of the 5 cases is there a direct link to Jan 6th.

You did have one person killed on that day and Jeffries did not mention her.

I think it is disgusting the way democrats have used Jan 6th.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
11.1.87  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  TᵢG @11.1.84    last year

Don't be insulting.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
11.1.88  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1.87    last year

Does the US civil war have anything whatsoever to do with the question of attacks on the Capitol building?

NOTE:

Greg Jones @ 11.1.56 What's so special about January 6.
TiG @11.1.59This is the first time in US history that a mob (thousands of people) rioted the Capitol (that includes its grounds) where hundreds of same engaged in violence to disrupt the proceedings of Congress.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
11.1.89  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  TᵢG @11.1.88    last year

According to Joe Biden:  "the Capitol riot on Jan. 6 as the worst attack on the U.S. since the Civil War."

Joe has linked them.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
11.1.90  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1.86    last year
It can be argued that as many police officers die from suicide as in the line of duty

I think that two of the four suicides as well as Officer Sicknick's death have been found to be 'in the line of duty',

TᵢG
Professor Principal
11.1.91  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1.89    last year

You bring in a quote from an entirely different context to 'link' concepts in a thread within a forum???

Now that is quite a creative poor tactic.

What is so special about Jan 6th, Vic?    You can read my answer to Greg's question @11.1.88.   

What is your answer?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
11.1.92  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @11.1.90    last year

By whom?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
11.1.93  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  TᵢG @11.1.91    last year
What is so special about Jan 6th, Vic?

It has become a political weapon of the left, celebrated two days ago with speeches and bells ringing.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.1.94  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1.86    last year

Obviously you have never watched what happened to these officers before backup came. And frankly, after watching it, I think they showed great restraint considering what the mob was doing to them.

And why would Jeffries mention someone who would have been arrested, had she not been killed. She had no business being where she was. Since when do we honor criminals?

I think it is disgusting the way democrats have used Jan 6th.

And I think it's disgusting the way that Republicans backtracked on their initial reaction that day, because they felt it was bad for their party. And that is why there was no red wave. Because the party loyal will not acknowledge those events. Independents traditionally vote for the opposite party in power in midterms and this time they didn't and there is the reason why.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
11.1.95  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1.93    last year

That is what makes the day special ... that it has been weaponized by your political adversaries???

That is more important to you than the fact that   it was the first time in US history that a mob (thousands of people) rioted the Capitol (that includes its grounds) where hundreds of same engaged in violence to disrupt the proceedings of Congress ?

Partisans  jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

TᵢG
Professor Principal
11.1.96  TᵢG  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.1.94    last year
And I think it's disgusting the way that Republicans backtracked on their initial reaction that day, because they felt it was bad for their party.

Indeed ... and still do.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
11.1.97  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.1.94    last year
Independents traditionally vote for the opposite party in power in midterms and this time they didn't and there is the reason why.

Really?

Whenever you put gas in your car or buy groceries or pay an electric bill it should become clear who you voted against.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
11.1.98  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  TᵢG @11.1.95    last year

I'm surprised you didn't notice the word I used in Post 11.1.93

I didn't say democrats commemorated that day. Notice I said they celebrated it!

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
11.1.99  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.1.94    last year
I think they showed great restraint considering what the mob was doing to them.

I thought the same as I've watched the videos.  There easily could have been a lot more than one killed that day.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1.100  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1.68    last year

His lies and all the other republican/gqp lies about 1/6 have been relentless

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1.101  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1.77    last year

ZERO

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
11.1.102  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @11.1.100    last year

They lied about the Jan 6th riot?

How so?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
11.1.103  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @11.1.101    last year
ZERO

Oh, that's a relief.  I only have your word though.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1.104  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1.102    last year

You never answer my questions.  Why do you think I would answer yours?  jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
11.1.105  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @11.1.104    last year
You never answer my questions.  Why do you think I would answer yours?

It sounds familiar. Tell her we miss her.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1.106  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1.98    last year

They did not celebrate it - they memorialized/commemorated NEVER FORGET WHAT TRUMPTURD AND HIS ENABLERS/SUPPORTERS/FEELLOW  PLANNERS  ARE CAPABLE OF

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
11.1.107  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @11.1.106    last year

You can't just keep making claims without supporting them.

devangelical
Professor Principal
11.1.108  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1.107    last year
You can't just keep making claims without supporting them.

if it's a contest, some traitorous fraud in florida already has a 27 month head start... 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1.109  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1.107    last year

That would be you vic, your usual PP&D

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1.110  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1.103    last year

My word is worth it's weight in gold

[Deleted]

TᵢG
Professor Principal
11.1.111  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1.98    last year

I read your comment correctly.   What makes you think my reply was based on a commemoration (I did not use that word)?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
11.1.112  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1.75    last year
Because it has been used politically.

Like Benghazi ten times? Like the Keystone XL phase 4 pipeline cancelled 4 times now? Like Hillary's Blackberry and server? Like Nixon's and Agnew's tax evasion?

Like the diaries and laptops of a person's family?

You yourself use things politically multiple times a week.

SMH

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1.113  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1.105    last year

Just as predicted, no answer - just the predicted deflection and some cryptic comment which only makes sense to the gqp

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1.114  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1.107    last year

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.1.115  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1.97    last year
Whenever you put gas in your car or buy groceries or pay an electric bill it should become clear who you voted against.

Gas prices have gone down. Food prices are up worldwide as is electricity. I am aware of what I did. How about women's rights are in danger, bump stocks are now OK, etc. 

But more importantly, people want bipartisanship and if what we just saw with the election of the speaker is that your party is being hijacked by extremists. That is a very sad thing, for those of us who would like more moderation.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
11.1.116  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1.98    last year
I didn't say democrats commemorated that day. Notice I said they celebrated it!

Wrong again, not surprised.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1.117  Tessylo  replied to  Split Personality @11.1.112    last year

[Deleted]

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
11.1.118  Jasper2529  replied to  Split Personality @11.1.116    last year
Wrong again, not surprised.

--------------------

Inaccurate comment. Not surprised.

It has become a political weapon of the left, celebrated two days ago with speeches and bells ringing.

celebrate  verb

1 to perform (a sacrament or solemn ceremony) publicly and with appropriate rites
2a to honor (an occasion, such as a holiday) especially by solemn ceremonies or by refraining from ordinary business
2b to mark (something, such as an anniversary) by festivities or other deviation from routine
3 : to hold up or play up for public notice

TᵢG
Professor Principal
11.1.119  TᵢG  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.1.115    last year
But more importantly, people want bipartisanship ...

Or possibly, people want government that actually works for their best interests rather than the political and personal interests of parties and politicians.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
11.1.120  Split Personality  replied to  Jasper2529 @11.1.118    last year
Inaccurate comment. Not surprised.

Then stop making them and supporting others who do.  

Split Personality
Professor Guide
11.1.121  Split Personality  replied to  Jasper2529 @11.1.118    last year

I am sure you don't really believe Vic meant celebrating like Catholics celebrate Mass

or Jews celebrate a person's life while sitting shiva, do you?

I think he meant celebrating like celebrating New Years or winning the lottery,

otherwise it's not a "political weapon" is it?

Damn that pesky English language.

cel·e·brate
[ˈseləˌbrāt]
VERB
  1. acknowledge (a significant or happy day or event) with a social gathering or enjoyable activity:
    "they were celebrating their wedding anniversary at a restaurant" · "she celebrated with a glass of champagne"
  2. perform (a religious ceremony) publicly and duly, in particular officiate at (the Eucharist):
    "he celebrated holy communion"
    SIMILAR:
    officiate at
    preside at
    ceremonialize
  3. honor or praise publicly:
    "a film celebrating the actor's career"

Do you really think Vic was mocking a solemn event?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
11.1.122  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.1.115    last year
How about women's rights are in danger,

In the state of New York they are set in stone, as well as many other states. Whether it's left to the states individually or the Federal government the people will get to choose. Are you against that?

But more importantly, people want bipartisanship

According to the midterm elections, the people want it just barely.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
11.1.123  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @11.1.121    last year
But more importantly, people want bipartisanship

And you are going to pretend that Pelosi & co aren't glad that it happened?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
11.1.124  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1.123    last year

Pretend?

People have to be 100% twisted to believe that anyone wanted 01/06 to happen

or that a sitting, pouting POTUS would do nothing but "celebrate" the riot from the WH

for 3 or 4 hours.

His lament? The SS wouldn't take him there.

Pelosi?  Everyone should have been equally saddened by the whole incident.

Well, Americans anyway.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
11.1.125  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @11.1.124    last year
People have to be 100% twisted to believe that anyone wanted 01/06 to happen

Then I must be twisted because you see, the left has exploited the tragedy beyond reason.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
11.1.126  afrayedknot  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1.125    last year

“…the left has exploited the tragedy beyond reason.”

At least you acknowledge the tragedy.

The only exploitation comes from those whom continue to ignore the events leading up to that tragic day, those whom remarkably blame the outcome on those sworn to protect the process, and those, whom to this day, continue to politicize it sans any semblance of understanding as to the dangers they blindly defend. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
11.1.127  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1.125    last year
Then I must be twisted

No comment.

because you see, the left has exploited the tragedy beyond reason

Just another opinion, congratulations.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
11.1.128  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  afrayedknot @11.1.126    last year
At least you acknowledge the tragedy.

According to Joe Biden it was worse than Pearl Harbor or 9/11.

whom to this day, continue to politicize it 

Please think about that.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
11.1.129  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @11.1.127    last year
Just another opinion

An obvious conclusion.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
11.1.130  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @11.1.129    last year

Many people shared the same conclusion about the 10 Beghazi hearings which McCarthy admitted were a political attack on HRC.

The last six were by committees of the Republican controlled House.

All 10 failed to bring charges against Clinton.

At that time you acted like Benghazi was worse than Pearl Harbor.

Spare us the drama.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1.131  Tessylo  replied to    last year

I'm sick of that taunt that you have copied from some of your little buddies.  Of course, nothing will be done about it, usually never is

Also, that's just your excuse for not knowing the truth of your allegations, like usual, you don't have/know the answer, just trying to impress those little buddies of yours

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
11.2  Ronin2  replied to  Jasper2529 @11    last year

Democrats need to relearn history (not the demented CRT garbage they are pushing) and STFU.

devangelical
Professor Principal
11.2.1  devangelical  replied to  Ronin2 @11.2    last year

... save the republican version of US history for comedy night.

Ender
Professor Principal
11.2.3  Ender  replied to    last year

Just watch the opening monologues of Jimmy Kimmel. 

George
Junior Expert
11.2.4  George  replied to  Ender @11.2.3    last year

You get your talking points from a comedian?

Ender
Professor Principal
11.2.5  Ender  replied to  George @11.2.4    last year

I get my talking points from me. But do watch him sometime. You might see what a lot of people think about some of these republicans.

George
Junior Expert
11.2.6  George  replied to  Ender @11.2.5    last year

I think they are all for the most part clowns, Florida is insane for sending a tool like Mat Gaetz to Congress. And Georgia keeps sending the idiot who thought Guam might tip over back.

I never understand why anybody thinks there is anything special about someone who simply won a popularity contest against someone equally as bad.

Ender
Professor Principal
11.2.8  Ender  replied to  George @11.2.6    last year

On that we can agree.

Ender
Professor Principal
11.2.9  Ender  replied to    last year

He can actually be quite comical. I think it was last night they had a segment about how easy it is to scam people. Some people let a guy on the street scan their credit cards....

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
11.2.11  Jasper2529  replied to  Ronin2 @11.2    last year
Democrats need to relearn history (not the demented CRT garbage they are pushing) and STFU.

I've found it stunning that the left actually believes that rewriting history and brainwashing vulnerable people is a good thing for our nation.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.2.12  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @11.2.11    last year

Is projection and mis/disinformation all that you and ronin have?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
11.2.13  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ronin2 @11.2    last year

"Nationalists Lolita Lebrón, Irvin Flores Rodríguez, Rafael Cancel Miranda and Andres Figueroa Cordero, carried out their attack in D.C., on March 1, 1954, from the gallery of the House of Representatives, where members were debating a bill concerning migrant Mexican workers."

rafael-cancel-miranda-obit.jpg

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.2.14  Tessylo  replied to  George @11.2.4    last year

We get the actual truth from these folks who also happen to be hosts of TV shows, actors, comedians, people from all walks of life and then use the truth/facts to form our own conclusions/opinions

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.2.15  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @11.2.12    last year

and vic?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.2.16  Texan1211  replied to  George @11.2.4    last year
You get your talking points from a comedian?

Some leftists get their news from comedians!

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
12  Nerm_L    last year

Under current economic conditions the jobless rate isn't very informative by itself.  It's also necessary to look at the labor participation rate.  Labor participation declined significantly during the pandemic (for obvious reasons) and hasn't recovered.  At present there really does appear to be a 'black market' for labor that isn't being captured by the traditional employment statistics. 

IMO retirement doesn't explain the persistent decline in labor participation.  People surely didn't retire to increase their income; although retirees may experience an increase in disposable income.  Some of what is being observed may be due to recognition that loss of net income doesn't necessarily mean a loss of disposable income.

The job statistics are a holdover from when the United States was a manufacturing economy.  While it's far too early to draw any conclusions, there is sufficient information to support speculation that the US economy is transitioning toward a 'cottage industry' model.  And the old industrial methods of measuring jobs and income won't work well for a 'cottage industry' model.  

George
Junior Expert
13  George    last year

What I find amazing is  a lot of the lefts selective outrage about Jan 6 after supporting the riots all year.

a group of liberal fucktards grabbed a piece of liberal cities and declared independent nations. They patrolled their borders and refused to allow authorities to enter and not 1 insurrection charge, but let 1 guy wearing a Buffalo costume scare the pussies in Congress and they lose their minds.

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
13.1  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  George @13    last year

No one I know supported riots.  They supported the actual protests and protestors.  Again, with the histrionics and hyperbole from the right.  

George
Junior Expert
13.1.1  George  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @13.1    last year

Did they not declare themselves independent nations? 

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
13.1.2  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  George @13.1.1    last year

Where did I say anything about them declaring themselves "independent nations"?  Hint:  I didn't.  I refuted your point about the "lefts selective outrage about Jan 6 after supporting the riots all year". No one supported the riots, they supported the real protestors and legitimate protests not the rioters or riots.  

George
Junior Expert
13.1.3  George  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @13.1.2    last year

And conservatives supported all the peaceful parts of Jan 6, even when the cowardly piece of crap shot an unarmed woman.

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
13.1.4  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  George @13.1.3    last year

Again with the hyperbole and histrionics from you.   That traitor got what she deserved.  You don't enter a locked and barricaded room with armed guards on the other side of it.  Her own actions got her killed.   

And, yes, there were some peaceful protestors, they were the ones that didn't enter the Capitol and the ones who didn't construct gallows outside of the Capitol.  

Conservatives also support the people that illegally entered the Capitol that day and the traitor that caused her own demise.  All it takes is for you to actually read the comments here to see that.  

George
Junior Expert
13.1.5  George  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @13.1.4    last year

She was unarmed, he is a cowardly piece of crap that bears no resemblance to an actual man.

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
13.1.6  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  George @13.1.5    last year

She should have complied, and she shouldn't have tried to break into the chambers.  She caused her own death, but thanks for telling us that you support a traitor.  

George
Junior Expert
13.1.7  George  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @13.1.6    last year

I never said I supported her or her actions, I simply stated the undisputed fact that he is a coward. He lacks integrity and honor.

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
13.1.8  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  George @13.1.7    last year

Your comments say differently.  You support a fucking traitor by trying to denigrate the officer who shot her and you seem to support everyone who entered the Capitol with your comment about "1 guy wearing a Bufffalo costume".  Your comments speak for themselves.  

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
13.1.9  Greg Jones  replied to  Wishful_thinkin @13.1.8    last year

So all demonstrators and protestors are traitors? You don't seem to have a clue as what a "traitor" really is.

She was unarmed, climbing through a broken window, no warning was given, and she was no immediate threat to the cowardly cop.

Wishful_thinkin
Freshman Silent
13.1.10  Wishful_thinkin  replied to  Greg Jones @13.1.9    last year
So all demonstrators and protestors are traitors? 

I never said that either. Your reading comprehension need a lot of work. Never ever put words in my mouth. You're not even close to qualified to do so. 

Babbit caused her own death, but thanks for telling everyone that you're another one who supports a traitor trying to break into chambers. Not to mention the fact that the chamber doors were locked and barricaded which is a clear sign that no one should attempt to enter.  By breaking a window and crawling through it, she sealed her own fate. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
13.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  George @13    last year

Most people didn't support the riots or what happened in Washington and Oregon. 

And it was not one guy in a Buffalo costume and you know it. It was a well planned attack by a group of people trying to stop the peaceful transfer of power. If Al Gore did this, you would have been all over the guy, and rightfully so.

George
Junior Expert
13.2.1  George  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @13.2    last year

Bullshit! Absolutely partisan bullshit and you have no idea how I would react if Gore did this! The absolute BS that you just pulled explains a lot.

you as the owner sets the tone, so telling me what I think explains TiG perfectly! He pulls that same BS because he knows he can get away with it.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
13.2.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  George @13.2.1    last year

Let me get this straight. If a bunch of people did the exact same thing for Gore, you would have been fine with it. Yet you are complaining about what happened in Washington and Oregon. There is the BS, plainly exposed. 

And as the site owner, I am allowed to have an opinion, like everyone else here. The fact that I let you talk to me in that tone, shows that I am on the up and up with everyone here.

And the 3 of you who upvoted that comment, well, I have to say I have a different opinion of you now, in regard to our relationship.

George
Junior Expert
13.2.3  George  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @13.2.2    last year

There you go, veiled threats, I’m watching who is up voting comments. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
13.2.4  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  George @13.2.3    last year

How is that a veiled threat? I said what I feel. That is really clear. If they can upvote insults to me I can have feelings about it. Did you actually think that people don't look at upvoting? Give me a break.

George
Junior Expert
13.2.5  George  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @13.2.4    last year

I don’t, so once again you have gotten wrong what I think and or do.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
13.2.6  afrayedknot  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @13.2.4    last year

“Did you actually think that people don't look at upvoting?”

So many wing men…so quick to condemn, so little to contribute. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
13.2.7  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  George @13.2.5    last year
I don’t, so once again you have gotten wrong what I think and or do.

Since this is going meta, please read my private note to you.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
13.2.8  Ronin2  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @13.2    last year
It was a well planned attack by a group of people trying to stop the peaceful transfer of power.

Please tell us all what was "well planned" about it? Name one damn thing? Did they manage to capture one politician? Did they secure the capital building? Did they set up barricades to stop the riot squad and national guard from moving in? Did they manage to foment insurgents from all across the country to rise up in rebellion? Did they even have firearms available? The answer to all that is no.

They couldn't even get enough of the protestors to join them to overwhelm the shitty security Pelosi and Co had in place. If they had even gotten half of those that attended the Jan 6th rally to join in the results may have been different.

The vast majority of rioters were too busy showing off taking self incriminating selfies. Or showing off for reporters (unlike Antifa and BLM who attacked them).

Or slow chasing a slow walking security guard. Just how stupid were they? They had the numbers to easily overwhelm the guy; but instead allow him to push them around, argue with him, and lead them away from the very place they are supposed to be capturing. So stupid it is comical. Definitely well planned and organized. There were more rioters recording the event than pursuing.

How about making sure to stay between the tether ropes set up by security when passing through the gallery? Ushered into the entrance by DC security; and right out the exit. Still charged with "parading".

This was a riot. The fact that Democrats, their shills in the media, and their lemming followers have been allowed to turn this into anything else after coddling the Summer of Love rioters is the height of hypocrisy.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
13.2.9  Tessylo  replied to  Ronin2 @13.2.8    last year

You're not helping your case.

Your denial is desperate, pathetic, and deplorable

It was more than a 'riot' it was a planned, incited, failed insurrection, planned on the inside (trunpturd, fake electors, etc,) and outside with white nationalist/supremacist scum

Tessylo
Professor Principal
13.2.10  Tessylo  replied to  Ronin2 @13.2.8    last year

Also your usual PP&D regarding the protests (summer of love as morons refer to it) and any looters, rioters, or arsonists were not legitimate protesters - mostly right wing plants and criminals (same difference)

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
13.2.11  JohnRussell  replied to  Ronin2 @13.2.8    last year

The ENTIRE purpose of Jan 6 was to keep the electoral count from occurring. It was the purpose of Trump in everything he did and said leading up to and on that day, and it was the purpose of the 50,000 or whatever number it was that gathered at the Capitol Building. Of course the mob INTENDED to enter the Capitol Building and confront the legislators who would be voting to accept the electoral count. That is the only reason they were there. Of course they didnt all enter, there wasnt room inside for all of them, and many of them got cold feet anyway. That doesnt change what they wanted to do. 

Ashley Babbitt was stopped 25 feet from the floor of the House of Representatives. What if she hadnt been stopped, if there was no armed cop at that door? What if she and the ret of the mob got into the House, and the members were still there?  What would Babbitt have done, said lets everyone hold hands and pray? Perhaps she would have "just" got in their faces and screamed at them to stop counting the votes, and perhaps she would have physically attacked someone. The same for the rest of the mob. They were not there for peaceful protest. Peaceful protest is not breaking out windows and doors and going past barricades. 

The idea that the only purpose of Jan 6 was peaceful protest that got out of hand is nonsense. 

What were they supposed to be protesting by the way? Some garbage that their hero Trump concocted out of thin air? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
13.2.12  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @13.2.11    last year

79e18f64-2daa-445e-a05d-7fd6c7262fab_1920x1080.jpg

That doorway is within spitting distance of where Ashley Babbitt was shot. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13.2.13  TᵢG  replied to  Ronin2 @13.2.8    last year

Why do you defend the insurrectionists and Trump?   

Was it wrong for Trump supporters to break and enter the Capitol building to disrupt the proceedings of Congress?

Was it wrong for Trump to watch this occur and not do anything to curtail the violence for three hours (he even threw Pence under the bus via a tweet halfway through the insurrection)?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
13.2.14  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @13.2.12    last year

I believe that Officer Byrd had no choice but to shoot and may have well saved lives.  Babbitt's anger issues and conspiracy beliefs got her killed.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
13.2.15  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @13.2.14    last year

He later admitted that he had no idea if she even had a weapon

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
13.2.16  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @13.2.15    last year

So what? She was attempting to put the lives of US congresspeople in danger. Period. That is all the justification he needed. 

The idea that its ok to break down doors and windows and enter the US Congress that way is "ok" because you didnt have a weapon is insanity. Babbitt was not the only one who wanted to enter, she was just the first traitor that climbed through the broken window. The idea that cop shouldnt have stopped her by any means necessary is ridiculous vic. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
13.2.17  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @13.2.16    last year
She was attempting to put the lives of US congresspeople in danger.

She was a threat to nobody.

The idea that its ok to break down doors and windows and enter the US Congress that way is "ok" 

Yet it was more than "ok" to murder two dozen people during the 2020 riots?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13.2.18  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @13.2.16    last year

Gaad, R partisans continue to try to pain Babbitt as an innocent bystander.

Innocent bystanders have not broken and entered the Capitol building to disrupt the proceedings of Congress and certainly are not climbing through an opening resulting from insurrections breaking down a doorway.

Nobody wants people to be killed but Babbitt was way over the line.    (Most people, for example, understand that when stopped by a police officer for speeding, etc. that they should not make any gesture that looks as though they have a firearm.)    It is a shame she is dead due to her emotional zeal and suppression of common sense, but she brought it on herself.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
13.2.19  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @13.2.17    last year
She was a threat to nobody.

Completely ridiculous. Battering down a barricaded and locked door and breaking out a window to enter is an act of violence. Its not peaceful. Period. End of story. She and the rest of the mob that was breaking down the door with their fists were a violent mob. No one knows what they would have done had they gotten into the chamber and House members were still there. The Capitol police were hardly required to let that happen because MAYBE the mob would be peaceful once they got inside. The assumption is that people who are being violent right now will also be violent one minute later when they get inside. 

You could live to be 1000 and never win this argument. 

Did the George Floyd "rioters" attempt to forestall an election and keep a candidate illegitimately in power?  It is totally apples to oranges. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
13.2.20  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Vic Eldred @13.2.15    last year

Babbitt was among a mob of people that had gained access to a hallway outside “Speaker’s Lobby,” which leads to the Chamber of the House. This was at the same time as members were still in the chamber and were being evacuated.  Officer Boyd was one of several officers that used furniture to barricade the glass doors separating the hallway and Speaker’s Lobby.  The mob continued to attempt to break through the doors by breaking the glass with flagpoles, helmets, and other objects.  Babbitt attempted to climb through one of the doors where glass was broken out.  Boyd order her to back down when she continued trying to gain access, he fired one round. 

There isn't any evidence beyond a reasonable doubt that use of force was unreasonable and used willfully in disregard of the law.    

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
13.2.21  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @13.2.19    last year
Battering down a barricaded and locked door and breaking out a window to enter is an act of violence.

As I've said many times, if that's all it takes to use deadly force, we'd have a lot of dead left wing protestors.

You could live to be 1000 and never win this argument. 

I won it the day Pelosi stacked that committee.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
13.2.22  afrayedknot  replied to  JohnRussell @13.2.19    last year

“You could live to be 1000 and never win this argument.”

He could live to be 100 and the dark day will be always be remembered and commemorated…as it is a reminder of how fragile, yet how resilient is our system of governance…regardless of those that may live to be 100 and will never, ever comprehend the near tragedy that occurred that day…and will deny it with their last gasp.

Tragic as well. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
13.2.23  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @13.2.20    last year
he fired one round. 

I regard you as a serious individual. Him firing that round has to carry the same standard we hold local cops to when they have to deal with thugs resisting arrest. In this case we have an unarmed woman, doing nothing different than the mobs that attacked police stations during the 2020 riots. Officer Boyd had a history of reckless actions. He admitted that he didn't know if she had a weapon. He was the only one who found the need to use deadly force. He got a pass.

You of all people should see that?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
13.2.24  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @13.2.21    last year

You havent won an argument since you've been here. 

What does Nancy Pelosi and the committee have to do with the danger Ashley Babbitt created? 

Like all right wing fanatics, you are all about grievance. Now you want to blame Pelosi for Trump trying to steal the election. 

Some people, even here on NT, think we should try and meet in the middle with right wing fanatics. That is a recipe for disaster. What we have to do is defeat them ideologically, or electorally, or out last them. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
13.2.25  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @13.2.23    last year
He admitted that he didn't know if she had a weapon. He was the only one who found the need to use deadly force. He got a pass.You of all people should see that?

[Deleted] Had he let babbitt come in she would have attacked him, as would anyone else who came through that window until they had enough people in there to remove the barricade. What do you want him to do, be shot with his own gun? 

His job was to protect the people in the House chamber, which is what he did. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
13.2.26  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @13.2.24    last year

THEY refuse to meet us in the middle - those right wing fanatics

Complete waste of time even talking to them

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.2.27  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @13.2.26    last year
Complete waste of time even talking to them

And yet, you persist.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
13.2.28  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @13.2.24    last year
You havent won an argument since you've been here. 

That's a matter of opinion John. I think we should let the reader decide.

What does Nancy Pelosi and the committee have to do with the danger Ashley Babbitt created? 

Babbitt was never a danger. Why did people like AOC lie about where they were on that day?

Like all right wing fanatics, you are all about grievance. Now you want to blame Pelosi for Trump trying to steal the election. 

I want the left to stop using a tragedy for political gain.

Some people, even here on NT, think we should try and meet in the middle with right wing fanatics. That is a recipe for disaster. What we have to do is defeat them ideologically, or electorally, or out last them. 

[Deleted]

devangelical
Professor Principal
13.2.29  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @13.2.21    last year

I'll always be disappointed that every one of the insurrectionists that entered the capitol that day didn't end up being carried out feet first and stacked like cords of wood on the mall. what did end up happening is the creation of 950+ martyrs to the cause of an autocratic/theocracy movement.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
13.2.30  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @13.2.19    last year

The problem you have John is you called the officer who shot Michael brown a murderer and argued endlessly that the shooting was Unjustified.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
13.2.31  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Vic Eldred @13.2.23    last year
Him firing that round has to carry the same standard we hold local cops to when they have to deal with thugs resisting arrest.

Not exactly, right or wrong he was a federal office and no local or state laws apply.

In this case we have an unarmed woman, doing nothing different than the mobs that attacked police stations during the 2020 riots. Officer Boyd had a history of reckless actions. He admitted that he didn't know if she had a weapon. He was the only one who found the need to use deadly force. He got a pass.

I have no doubt that like National Park Police and other federal officers involved in a shooting, had a less than thorough investigation from a sympathetic Justice Department.  Morale was already low in the USCP and there would be no apatite to prosecute Boyd.

We will know more if the Babbitt family law suite goes forward.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
13.2.32  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @13.2.25    last year
Had he let babbitt come in she would have attacked him, as would anyone else who came through that window until they had enough people in there to remove the barricade. What do you want him to do, be shot with his own gun? 

She would have taken his gun away and shot him?

His job was to protect the people in the House chamber, which is what he did. 

I think we should have had a legitimate inquiry.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.2.33  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @13.2.29    last year

Guess you'll just have to learn to live with your disappointment.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
13.2.34  afrayedknot  replied to  Vic Eldred @13.2.28    last year

“Babbitt was never a danger. Why did people like AOC lie about where they were on that day?”

Babbitt was indeed a threat. AOC lied.

The two have absolutely nothing to do with one another and to equate them simply diminishes any argument in defense of the former and blaming the latter for the events that transpired. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
13.2.35  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @13.2.31    last year
right or wrong he was a federal office and no local or state laws apply.

That's a big part of the problem.

I have no doubt that like National Park Police and other federal officers involved in a shooting, had a less than thorough investigation from a sympathetic Justice Department.

You are a good man!

We will know more if the Babbitt family law suite goes forward.

It needs to. Especially now.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
13.2.36  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  afrayedknot @13.2.34    last year
The two have absolutely nothing to do with one another

They have everything to do with each other. It's called politics.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
13.2.37  afrayedknot  replied to  Vic Eldred @13.2.36    last year

That’s a bridge too far, vic. 

Ender
Professor Principal
13.2.38  Ender  replied to  afrayedknot @13.2.34    last year

Always amazes me when people complain about lying after they supported trump for years...

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
13.2.39  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Vic Eldred @13.2.28    last year

[Deleted]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
13.2.40  Sean Treacy  replied to  Vic Eldred @13.2.39    last year

[Deleted]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
13.2.41  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sean Treacy @13.2.40    last year

[Further meta will result in points.]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
13.2.42  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @13.2.28    last year

[deleted]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
13.2.43  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @13.2.30    last year

I never called the cop a murderer. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
13.2.44  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @13.2.32    last year

An inquiry of what? Whether or not he should have let a violent mob into the House of Representatives?

This is all ludicrous. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
13.2.45  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @13.2.43    last year

I never called the cop a murderer.

You certainly believed he should have been prosecuted for murder and posted untold amounts of times in support of prosecuting him.  Much like pretty much everyone else here who believes the shooting of Babbitt was justified. 

Brown was a much bigger threat to the officer that killed him than Babbitt was to the officer who shot her.  I can see believing both shootings were justified, and arguing that Brown's shooting was justified and Babbitt's wasn't simply based on size and past violent behavior, but believing Babbitt was a threat and Brown wasn't is a bridge to far. 

If the victim had been a unarmed black women rioting on behalf of abortion rights or whatever, I would bet your opinion changes. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
13.2.46  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @13.2.44    last year
An inquiry of what? Whether or not he should have let a violent mob into the House of Representatives?

No, a Use of Force investigation.  

This is all ludicrous. 

Exactly, so ludicrous that investigators cleared Byrd of wrongdoing in the shooting without actually interviewing him about the shooting.  By avoiding any interrogation, Byrd never had to worry about  saying anything that could have been used to incriminate him.  Byrd told NBC that he gave Babbitt verbal warning to stand down, this was disputed by police officer eyewitnesses on the scene.   

Given federal law and court precedents, I doubt that Byrd could have been found guilty of manslaughter beyond a reasonable doubt, but I don't doubt, that this was just a check the box investigation.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
13.2.47  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @13.2.29    last year
I'll always be disappointed that every one of the insurrectionists that entered the capitol that day didn't end up being carried out feet first and stacked like cords of wood on the mall.

I'm sure that you are very used to life disappointing you by now.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
13.2.48  Split Personality  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @13.2.46    last year
Byrd told NBC that he gave Babbitt verbal warning to stand down, this was disputed by police officer eyewitnesses on the scene. 

Is your position that the voice clearly heard on the video recordings was not Byrd's? Even if it was a different officer, does that make a difference?   

If a thousand people managed to break into the Pentagon chanting lets hang

Drinker, who would you want protecting your office, Babbitt or Officer Byrd?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
13.2.49  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Split Personality @13.2.48    last year
Is your position that the voice clearly heard on the video recordings was not Byrd's? Even if it was a different officer, does that make a difference?   

I only saw the video posted by the Washington Post and I heard no police instructions.

Drinker, who would you want protecting your office, Babbitt or Officer Byrd?

Byrd of course, is that how a proper UOF investigation is conducted?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
13.2.50  Split Personality  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @13.2.49    last year

LT. MICHAEL BYRD , the Capitol Police officer who shot and killed Ashli Babbitt on January 6, has rejected claims from her defenders that he opened fire without warning, telling NBC News that he ordered the fanatical Donald Trump supporter to stop advancing before he fired the fatal shot.

“I had been yelling and screaming,” Byrd said in an interview broadcast Thursday night, “‘Please stop, get back, get back, stop.’”

Video posted online by multiple witnesses that day showed that Babbitt, an Air Force veteran wearing a Stars and Stripes backpack and a Trump flag as a cape, was shot by Byrd as she climbed through the shattered window of the barricaded Speaker’s Lobby door, which was all that separated the mob of Trump supporters from members of Congress.

The officer’s statement matches the account of a fellow member of the pro-Trump mob, Thomas Baranyi , who caught Babbitt as she fell back. Baranyi, who still had Babbitt’s blood on his hand when  he spoke to a local news crew  outside the Capitol minutes later, said that “a number of police and Secret Service were saying, ‘Get back, get down, get out of the way.’ She didn’t heed the call.”
In the heat of the moment, standing visibly with a gun drawn and aimed at someone, is it absolutely necessary to say "or I will shoot"?
Or is it strongly implied?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
13.2.51  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Split Personality @13.2.50    last year
In the heat of the moment, standing visibly with a gun drawn and aimed at someone, is it absolutely necessary to say "or I will shoot"?

I haven't said that it was, I just said that I didn't hear in the audio what Byrd claimed.  Did you hear it?  Do you think a thorough investigation was conducted?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
13.2.52  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @13.2.45    last year
Brown was a much bigger threat to the officer that killed him than Babbitt was to the officer who shot her. 

Where do you come up with this crap? Babbitt wasnt shot because she was a threat to the officer, she was shot because she was part of a violent mob trying to storm our national legislature. 

It is mind boggling that you and others here believe that she and the others should have been allowed to. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
13.2.53  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @13.2.52    last year
Babbitt wasnt shot because she was a threat to the officer, she was shot because she was part of a violent mob trying to storm our national legislature. 

Amazingly, she was the only one in the violent mob shot.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13.2.54  TᵢG  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @13.2.53    last year

Seriously, it is amazing that only one of hundreds who invaded our Capitol wound up getting shot.   

I suspect that if this occurs again, the future insurrectionists will not be as fortunate.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13.3  TᵢG  replied to  George @13    last year
1 guy wearing a Buffalo costume scare the pussies in Congress and they lose their minds

Is that how you understand the Jan 6th armed breaking and entering of the Capitol to disrupt Congress in session?    It was merely one guy in a Buffalo costume?    And the 'pussies in Congress' behaved improperly in your opinion because they quickly moved to safe quarters, called for order and then later reconvened to finish their work?

Note these are questions based on what you wrote.   Gonna claim that these questions are just me telling you what you think?    If so, get a better argument.

George
Junior Expert
13.3.1  George  replied to  TᵢG @13.3    last year

[deleted]

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13.3.2  TᵢG  replied to  George @13.3.1    last year

You have created an alternate fantasy world that DEMONSTRABLY has no relation to reality.   We all can watch the insurrection on video and see that it was a violent breaking and entering of the Capitol.   That should cause you to find fault with the mob who disrupted the workings of our system yet you dismiss this as merely "1 guy wearing a Buffalo costume scare the pussies in Congress and they lose their minds".    Pathetic,  'George'.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
13.3.3  Tessylo  replied to  TᵢG @13.3.2    last year

The denial of reality is so unbelievably mindblowing, senseless

Tessylo
Professor Principal
13.3.4  Tessylo  replied to  TᵢG @13.3.2    last year

[deleted]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
13.4  JohnRussell  replied to  George @13    last year
but let 1 guy wearing a Buffalo costume scare the pussies in Congress and they lose their minds.

This kind of idiocy explains a lot of the problems we are having in this country right now. Illegitimate , ridiculous comments like this are treated by some who want to be "fair minded" as if they had some credence or basis. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
13.4.1  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @13.4    last year

Trying to be impartial.  jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

George
Junior Expert
14  George    last year

The Jan 6 committee just released 2000 social security numbers of those the interviewed and or testified. Good job you ignorant morons.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
14.1  Tessylo  replied to  George @14    last year

So what?  There must be a very good reason. 

Fuck those vermin/scum who planned/plotted/incited 1/6 which includes trumpturd, fake electors, the white supremacist scum who trumpturd had incited to attempt their failed coup.  Bunch of loser scum

How many people have the gqp and trumturd fucked over and doxed and lied for telling the truth?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
15  author  Vic Eldred    last year

BREAKING: The U.S. House votes to rescind over $70 billion in IRS funding that would have been used to hire 87,000 new IRS agents, 221-210.

JBB
Professor Principal
15.1  JBB  replied to  Vic Eldred @15    last year

With 0% chance the Senate or Biden sign on!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
15.1.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @15.1    last year

It don't work that way. Biden still has his bill, just not the funds for the IRS agents:

"The funding would have gone toward filling 87,000 IRS positions."

Snuffy
Professor Participates
15.1.2  Snuffy  replied to  Vic Eldred @15.1.1    last year

I didn't know that's how that would work.  I know the House controls the purse strings but didn't know that they could repeal funding after a bill was passed.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
15.1.3  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Snuffy @15.1.2    last year

I guess the three of us just learned something. It's good news.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
15.1.4  TᵢG  replied to  Snuffy @15.1.2    last year
I know the House controls the purse strings but didn't know that they could repeal funding after a bill was passed.  

The House is free to vote to reverse legislation anytime it wants.    But this is just the House vote.   Both the Senate and Biden must agree.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
15.1.5  Snuffy  replied to  Vic Eldred @15.1.3    last year

We may need more information.  This article seems to indicate that this is a bill that will also need to pass the Senate as well as the WH signature.

House Majority Leader-elect Steve Scalise (R-La.), in a  Dec. 30 letter to colleagues , said he expects party leaders will introduce a bill in the first two weeks of the new session that would eliminate the  $80 billion granted to the IRS over the next decade  through the Inflation Reduction Act.

The bill, however, is unlikely to move forward with a majority of Democrats remaining in the Senate.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
15.1.6  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  TᵢG @15.1.4    last year

The legislation has already been passed by the House & Senate and it was flown to a vacationing Biden and signed by him.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
15.1.7  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Snuffy @15.1.5    last year

Every democrat in the House already voted against it. Not one of them can think for themselves. Pelosi made robots out of them.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
15.1.8  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @15.1.6    last year

As I noted, the House is attempting to reverse legislation passed by the House, Senate and signed by Biden.

The House has voted to do so.    Now the Senate must vote to reverse the funding.    Then Biden must sign the reversal.

Are you suggesting that this three-stage reversal process has already taken place?   The the reversal legislation is now law?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
15.1.9  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @15.1.7    last year
Every democrat in the House already voted against it. Not one of them can think for themselves. Pelosi made robots out of them.

Vic, good grief, 221 of 222 Rs voted for it.    Surely if the Ds are 'robots' then the Rs are also 'robots'.    (Congresspersons regardless of party are predominantly robots, by the way.   The vote per party leadership dynamic is one of the major failures of our system.)

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
15.1.10  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  TᵢG @15.1.9    last year

No the R's had one vote against.

You see, TiG, the point of the exercise was to show the American people how the democrats feel about the. If you are a small businessman who deals in cash transactions, you are now a target of the IRS. The government needs OUR money which they are spending like a drunken sailor.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
15.1.11  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  TᵢG @15.1.8    last year

Ya we know. Thanks.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
15.1.12  Split Personality  replied to  Snuffy @15.1.5    last year
This article seems to indicate that this is a bill that will also need to pass the Senate as well as the WH signature.

True, they are just passing shyte because they can.

Not a surprise remembering how many things McConnell refused to consider in the past.

devangelical
Professor Principal
15.1.13  devangelical  replied to  Split Personality @15.1.12    last year

... republican virtue signaling, aka a public circle jerk.

evilone
Professor Guide
15.1.14  evilone  replied to  Vic Eldred @15.1.10    last year
If you are a small businessman who deals in cash transactions, you are now a target of the IRS.

Should not everyone pay their taxes?

The IRS reported last month they are delaying the new 1099-K reporting threshold. The reporting threshold of $20,000 in payments from over 200 transactions will remain in effect for 2023. There is also bi-partisan work in the Senate to change the threshold number from $600 to $10,000 or back to the original $20,000.

devangelical
Professor Principal
15.1.15  devangelical  replied to  evilone @15.1.14    last year

it's in the best interest of republicans to hide the taxable earnings of their benefactors and all the associated money laundering entities, like that big one down the street with a cross on the roof ...

TᵢG
Professor Principal
15.1.16  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @15.1.10    last year
No the R's had one vote against.

What does "221 of 222" mean to you, Vic?    

Further, if 221 of 222 Rs vote the same how do you see that as materially different from 212 out of 212 voting the same?

You see, TiG, the point of the exercise was to show the American people how the democrats feel about the. If you are a small businessman who deals in cash transactions, you are now a target of the IRS. The government needs OUR money which they are spending like a drunken sailor.

I am not in favor of more IRS agents since I know they are not going after the major tax evaders (Trump is one of them but he is small potatoes).   Then again, I do not represent the Ds.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
15.1.17  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @15.1.11    last year
Ya we know. Thanks.

Your comment was odd.   I noted on your prior comment that to reverse legislation we need new legislation and that the new legislation must be passed by the House, Senate and signed into law by the PotUS.

In response you speak of the original legislation already being passed.

Well ... yeah ... that is why the reverse legislation was needed.

JBB
Professor Principal
15.1.18  JBB  replied to  TᵢG @15.1.16    last year

If the gop won't give the IRS resources it needs to collect federal taxes then the gop cannot blame Democrats for rising deficits. Taxes do not collect themselves...

TᵢG
Professor Principal
15.1.19  TᵢG  replied to  JBB @15.1.18    last year

I have yet to see our government (regardless of party) take action against the large $$$$.

It is likely that they never will because they need those large $$$$ supporting them and enhancing their lives.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
15.1.20  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  TᵢG @15.1.17    last year
I noted on your prior comment that to reverse legislation

And I noted what the next budget would be like

charger 383
Professor Silent
15.2  charger 383  replied to  Vic Eldred @15    last year

87,000 new positions for border security and removing illegals in our country would be a good thing

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
15.2.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  charger 383 @15.2    last year

That should have been the priority.

How do they get the votes they are getting???

Split Personality
Professor Guide
15.2.2  Split Personality  replied to  charger 383 @15.2    last year

Back in 2017 Mr Trump authorized 15,000 new hires

which resulted in a net gain of 80 agents.

Even though the pay seems good, guaranteed overtime etc.

Attrition at CBP ( just like the IRS )exceeds hiring and they can't get enough people to pass the

very high standards.

The housing is scarce and the amenities are few and far between along most of the border.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
16  author  Vic Eldred    last year

"House Republicans just voted unanimously to repeal the Democrats' army of 87,000 IRS agents.

This was our very first act of the new Congress, because government should work for you, not against you."

th?id=OIP.iUxyUTezugAw30KihDQGKgHaJQ&pid=Api&rs=1&c=1&qlt=95&w=97&h=121

"Promises made. Promises kept".......Kevin McCarthy, Speaker of the House

Split Personality
Professor Guide
16.1  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @16    last year

he obviously didn't read the previous Bill.

Not surprising.

Even if this first dud could get passed the Senate, 

Biden would veto it.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
17  author  Vic Eldred    last year

Virginia AG expands civil rights investigation to all of Fairfax County Public Schools

Split Personality
Professor Guide
17.1  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @17    last year

Too funny, a Questionable source, blocked as a "malicious site" by Norton Symantec virus software.

devangelical
Professor Principal
17.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Split Personality @17.1    last year

I clicked on a link last week and had to do a system restore to eradicate some ransomware.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
17.1.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Split Personality @17.1    last year
Too funny, a Questionable source, blocked as a "malicious site" by Norton Symantec virus software.

How so? I use Norton Symantec and had no problem opening and reading the link Vic posted in comment 17 .

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
17.1.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Jasper2529 @17.1.2    last year

Mine either

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
17.1.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Jasper2529 @17.1.2    last year

I've used that site several times and no issues.  Sounds more like somebody is making excuses.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
17.1.5  Jasper2529  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @17.1.4    last year

So have I. it's approved by MBFC, too.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
17.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Jasper2529 @17.1.2    last year

I had no problem opening it either.

think maybe it became a problem because they couldn't argue what was in it?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
17.1.7  Jasper2529  replied to  Texan1211 @17.1.6    last year
think maybe it became a problem because they couldn't argue what was in it?

Ya think? Tell me that isn't so! jrSmiley_7_smiley_image.png

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
17.1.8  Jasper2529  replied to  devangelical @17.1.1    last year
I clicked on a link last week and had to do a system restore to eradicate some ransomware.

That happens to a lot of people who don't know how to verify before clicking.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
17.1.9  Split Personality  replied to  Jasper2529 @17.1.2    last year

Lucky you.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
17.1.10  Split Personality  replied to  Jasper2529 @17.1.5    last year
it's approved by MBFC, too.

No it isn't, they have it rated as a Questionable Source.

Unfortunately NT uses the bar graph for "approval" and JTN barely qualifies.

right011.png?resize=600%2C67&ssl=1 Just The News - Media Bias/Fact Check (mediabiasfactcheck.com)

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
17.1.11  Jasper2529  replied to  Split Personality @17.1.9    last year

Sorry to disappoint, but it has nothing to do with luck, but everything to do with education and knowledge.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
17.1.12  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @17.1.10    last year

We know.

Just about anything to the right of Chairman Mao "barely qualifies."

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
17.1.13  Jasper2529  replied to  Split Personality @17.1.10    last year

I know all about JTN and where it falls on MBFC, because I checked before I posted comment 17.1.5 . Per this site's rules, a website meets the acceptable criteria as long as the yellow circle doesn't fall into the radical red or blue arrows.

Odd that folks who've seeded from Occupy Democrats never get chastised.

Occupy Democrats

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
17.1.14  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jasper2529 @17.1.13    last year

Great point!

Split Personality
Professor Guide
17.1.15  Split Personality  replied to  Jasper2529 @17.1.13    last year
If someone is violating the CoC, members should make no comment but rather use the flagging system to report it to the moderators. Code Of Conduct | The NewsTalkers

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
17.1.16  Jasper2529  replied to  Split Personality @17.1.15    last year

Thanks for the CoC tutorial, but I've known this since I joined in late 2017.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
17.1.17  Split Personality  replied to  Jasper2529 @17.1.16    last year

And yet you make baseless public claims about the site and moderation in this thread in violation of the CoC.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
17.1.18  Split Personality  replied to  devangelical @17.1.1    last year

I opened it again and while scrolling the article

something triggers the malicious popup for something related to pcsupport.com

I found the article elsewhere, more crying over something the school district has already recognized and fixed.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
17.2  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @17    last year

A State Attorney general has time for this nonsense?

The National Merit awards used to be prestigious, but not so much any more.

Can I get into a good college without national merit?

But, in reality, National Merit honors provide only a minimal admissions-odds boost and, often, little or no money. … Also, many of the colleges that strong students most want to attend — such as the Ivies, Stanford, MIT, Amherst, Williams, and more — don’t participate in the National Merit competition at all.

Do colleges care about National Merit Semifinalist? - TimesMojo

The FCPS recognized the problem and addressed it.

The students and colleges they applied to were notified.

Statement on Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology Delay in Sharing National Merit Scholarship Corporation Recognitions | Fairfax County Public Schools (fcps.edu)

The Governor and AG are overreacting.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
17.2.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @17.2    last year
A State Attorney general has time for this nonsense?

The Constitution forbids separate standards based on race.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
17.2.2  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @17.2.1    last year

Where the fuck has anyone alleged that race is the basis for what happened in the school district?

Have you ever seen the diversity of TJHS?  It's a magnet school for the brightest

science and engineering nerds.

Someone at the School District level retired and the replacement wasn't trained to know it was her/his responsibility.

Amid probe, more Virginia high schools apologize for withholding news of academic awards (yahoo.com)

Tempest in a teapot time, again.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
17.2.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Split Personality @17.2.2    last year
o meone at the School District level retired and the replacement wasn't trained to know it was her/his responsibility. In a call with Yashar, Kosatka admitted that the decision to withhold the information from parents and inform the students in a low-key way was intentional. “We want to recognize students for who they are as individuals, not focus on their achievements,” he told her, claiming that he and the principal didn’t want to “hurt” the feelings of students who didn’t get the award. 

Fits right in with their policy of prioritizing equity over education:

For years, two administrators at Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology (TJ) have been withholding notifications of National Merit awards from the school’s families, most of them Asian, thus denying students the right to use those awards to boost their college admission prospects and earn scholarships. This episode has emerged amid the school district’s new strategy of “ equal outcomes for every student, without exception .” School administrators, for instance, have implemented an  “equitable grading” policy that eliminates zeros, gives students a grade of 50 percent just for showing up , and assigns a cryptic code of “NTI” for assignments not turned in. It’s a race to the bottom.

every person involved in with this insanity should be fired.  

Split Personality
Professor Guide
17.2.4  Split Personality  replied to  Sean Treacy @17.2.3    last year

Thanks for the info.

One has to wonder how these other organizations rank TJHS number 1 out of 94,000 high schools.

FAIRFAX COUNTY, VA — Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology, an admissions-based governor's school in Fairfax County, is no stranger to top rankings. On Niche's 2022 best schools rankings, the school was first in the nation on two lists.

Niche, a platform providing information on schools and colleges, released its 2022 best school district and school rankings on Monday. The eighth annual ranking looks at 94,491 public schools, 2,489 private schools, and 11,846 school districts nationwide.

TJHSST ranked first among 17,219 schools on the Best College Prep Public High Schools in America list. It also topped 8,246 schools on the Best High Schools for STEM in America list. Overall, it is fifth on the Best Public High Schools in America list and fourth for Best Magnet Schools in America.

TJ High School Ranks First In Nation On 2022 Niche Rankings | Greater Alexandria, VA Patch

It doesn't appear to have injured anyone.

I guess the AG will figure out if the FCPS website is misstating the truth and fire them as well.

Still, it seems like bombing the village to kill a mosquito. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
17.2.5  Snuffy  replied to  Split Personality @17.2.4    last year
It doesn't appear to have injured anyone.

That we really don't know.  A National Merit Award can help a student gain access to a college and because these students had to apply to colleges without knowing that they had received the award could have prevented someone from gaining admittance to a better college.  That can impact future earnings.  There are also scholarships associated with this award.  So there can be an impact.  Based on statements made from the district, they were more interested in equity than recognizing outstanding students and their actions could impact future earnings for all students impacted.  Entrance into some colleges is highly competitive.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
17.2.6  Split Personality  replied to  Snuffy @17.2.5    last year
That we really don't know. 

true, difficult to guage.

A National Merit Award can help a student gain access to a college

also true.

and because these students had to apply to colleges without knowing that they had received the award could have prevented someone from gaining admittance to a better college.

The operative word being "could". The school board claims that all students, parents and colleges involved were notified.

That can impact future earnings.  There are also scholarships associated with this award.  So there can be an impact.

The maximum award is a one time "gift" of $2,500.00 for freshman year.  Very material to some, insignificant to others looking at $200,000 in student loans.

Based on statements made from the district, they were more interested in equity than recognizing outstanding students and their actions could impact future earnings for all students impacted.

The outstanding students in a school of outstanding students ranked as the #1 magnet high school in the nation on several high school rankings?

Entrance into some colleges is highly competitive.

Definitely, but many of the most competitive schools don't care about, or work with the National Merit Awards programs anymore including all of the Ivy League Schools, Stanford and MIT where most of these science and engineering students apply.

Do colleges care about National Merit Semifinalist? - TimesMojo

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
18  author  Vic Eldred    last year

FmIcEY8WYAEJ2AE?format=jpg&name=small

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
18.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Vic Eldred @18    last year

Since he refuses to resign, this is what has to happen. This article doesn't even mention the tens of thousands of Americans who died of Fentanyl poisonings (not overdoses) or cartels allowed to bring sex trafficking into the US.

"Since day one, Secretary Mayorkas’s policies have undermined law enforcement activities at our southern border," Fallon said in a statement to Fox News last week. "From perjuring himself before Congress about maintaining operational control of the border to the infamous ‘whip-gate’ slander against our border patrol agents, Secretary Mayorkas has proven time and time again that he is unfit to lead the Department of Homeland Security."
"His willful actions have eroded our immigration system, undermined border patrol morale, and jeopardized American national security. He has violated the law and it is time for him to go," Fallon added.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
18.1.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jasper2529 @18.1    last year

There hasn't been an administration official impeached in a long long time.If it goes there, House democrats will fight hard.
He will never get convicted in the Senate.

However, the country needs to hear it.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
18.1.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Vic Eldred @18.1.1    last year
He will never get convicted in the Senate.

Correct.

However, the country needs to hear it.

And Fox News has diligently reported on all aspects of the border crisis that Biden created since Day One.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
18.2  Snuffy  replied to  Vic Eldred @18    last year

The Democrat controlled Senate will never convict so the Republicans need to be very open and publicly show all evidence on how bad this really is. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
18.2.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Snuffy @18.2    last year

I agree 100%. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
18.2.2  TᵢG  replied to  Snuffy @18.2    last year

A novel idea!   Let the American people know what is going on!