Shia Muslims Celebrate Ashura (WARNING: Some people may find photos to be upsetting)

Via:  krishna  •  one week ago  •  66 comments

Shia Muslims Celebrate Ashura (WARNING: Some people may find photos to be upsetting)
Children left covered in blood as devout Muslims use knives to slice their heads open during traditional Ashura show of faith in Iraq

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The day commemorates the death of Husayn ibn Ali, the grandson of the prophet Muhammad. Credit: AFP or licensors

THESE incredible pictures show devout Muslims using knives to slice open their heads - and those of children - during the traditional Ashura show of faith in Iraq.

They are among the millions of Shia Muslim worshippers currently taking part  in annual ceremonies  to mourn the death of Imam Hussein, a grandson of the Prophet Mohammed.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
Find text within the comments Find 

Krishna
1  seeder  Krishna    one week ago

The men used large knives to cut their heads, while others helped to cut heads of those around them.

The processions and services held this week mark the holiest days in the Shia calendar, Tasua and Ashura.

Krishna
2  seeder  Krishna    one week ago

The commemorations take place on   Ashura , the tenth day of the first month of the Islamic calendar.

They mark Husayn's death at the Battle of Karbala, fought between Husayn and Yazid I on October 10 680AD to determine who should succeed the prophet as the leader of Islam.

The anniversary is a national holiday in Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Bahrain, and Pakistan, and typically involves public expressions of mourning.

Some Muslims mark the day with the practice of Tatbir, in which a sword or scourge is used to draw blood in remembrance of the innocent blood of Husayn.

Many who take part in the practice believe it cleanses them of their sins.

(Link )

CometRider
2.1  CometRider  replied to  Krishna @2    one week ago

Do-Wacka-Do

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
2.1.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  CometRider @2.1    one week ago
Do-Wacka-Do

At least.

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
3  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh    one week ago

i could care less what an adult does to themselves but to do that to a child is child abuse. There is no value in the myth they are participating in.

The perps should meet a bullet for that.

Krishna
3.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @3    one week ago
i could care less what an adult does to themselves but to do that to a child is child abuse. There is no value in the myth they are participating in. The perps should meet a bullet for that.

Your comment could be misinterpreted as being Islamophobic".... hopefully that's not the case!

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
3.1.1  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  Krishna @3.1    one week ago

It's anti-child abuse. I could care less what religion people believe.

Dulay
3.1.2  Dulay  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @3.1.1    one week ago
It's anti-child abuse. I could care less what religion people believe.

Circumcision?  

Paula Bartholomew
3.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @3    one week ago

They don't cherish their children like we or other civilized countries do.  They are viewed as small objects to brainwash and eventually turn in to soldiers for Allah.  The little girls have it even worse.  They become victims of 3 stage circumcisions, never to feel sexual pleasure, only as vessels for bearing children and bowing to the whims of their husbands and the husband's families.  This blood act of barbarism is to honor the memory of the grandson of their false pedophile prophet.  They are truly a bunch of totally sick twists.

Krishna
3.2.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.2    one week ago
They don't cherish their children like we or other civilized countries do.  They are viewed as small objects to brainwash and eventually turn in to soldiers for Allah. 

Sadly that's true in much of the Arab world. Here's a report of the widespread use of children as suicide bombers:

Turning a Blind Eye to Child Suicide Bombers

Where's the outrage over the Palestinians' mistreatment of children?

It has happened again, still with no ensuing outrage from the human rights groups. Another Palestinian child was narrowly prevented from becoming a human bomb. This one, a 16-year-old (although some have reported that he is only 14 years old), was wrapped in explosives vests under his clothing and was stopped by Israeli forces at a West Bank checkpoint. 

When an 11-year-old was stopped with a bag filled with explosives on March 15, I asked in   my “Closing Argument” the next day   , Where is the outrage?

Why aren’t the human rights groups chastising the Palestinians as they do others who misuse or mistreat children? Amnesty International told us they “condemn these attacks, regardless of the age of individual.” But they never felt the need to specifically condemn the use of children as suicide bombers.

Why are they so reluctant to do it here?

Interestingly, Amnesty has long condemned targeted assassinations or what they call “extra judicial executions” by the Israelis. But when Israel killed the leader of the terror group Hamas, Sheikh Ahmed Yassin, earlier this week, Amnesty still felt it necessary to issue a specific press release condemning that attack. It seems general comments about suicide bombing suffice when it comes to the Palestinians’ efforts to use children to target civilians and yet, when Israel kills a terror leader, it makes for headlines on the Amnesty Web site.

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
3.2.2  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.2    one week ago
They don't cherish their children like we or other civilized countries do.

We should avoid that attitude by avoiding that part of the world and we shouldn't import people who don't cherish children either.

Buzz of the Orient
3.2.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @3.2.1    one week ago
"...Israel kills a terror leader, it makes for headlines on the Amnesty Web site."

AND in the mainstream media with the bias that it is the Israelis who are the murderers. 

It Is ME
4  It Is ME    one week ago

Brilliant ! jrSmiley_30_smiley_image.gif

Who the fuck would NEED to knife cut a little "Kid" on purpose anyway. jrSmiley_27_smiley_image.gif

Paula Bartholomew
4.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  It Is ME @4    one week ago

Even if doesn't kill a child, the chances are that they may die from infection as I doubt they clean the wound properly on top of using a dirty knife.

Krishna
4.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.1    one week ago

Well they actually believe that they (adults) will spend eternity in Paradise if they die fighting in the name of Islam--so my guess that the same is true of the kids. 

It Is ME
4.1.2  It Is ME  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.1    one week ago
Even if doesn't kill a child, the chances are that they may die from infection as I doubt they clean the wound properly on top of using a dirty knife.

When you look at the picture, the guy holding the kid looks so proud.....of HIMSELF.

Kids just terrified !

Paula Bartholomew
4.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.2    one week ago

Not since the picture of Bayle Almon (OKC bombing), has my heart been broken this deeply as it has seeing the pain on that child's face.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
5  Perrie Halpern R.A.    one week ago

I think it should be pointed out that the Sunni don't do this holiday since this prophet is the dividing difference between the two branches of Islam.

JohnRussell
6  JohnRussell    one week ago

I dont approve of the ritual, but unfortunately this article is presented here just to foment anti-Muslim attitudes. 

It Is ME
6.1  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @6    one week ago
but unfortunately this article is presented here just to foment anti-Muslim attitudes

Really ?

Not unfortunate at all.

It's real, isn't it ?

JohnRussell
6.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  It Is ME @6.1    one week ago

Do you think that America should , in general, be anti-Muslim ? 

It Is ME
6.1.2  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.1    one week ago
Do you think that America should , in general, be anti-Muslim ?

I can only speak for myself. I'd say "generally" ….no !

Now there are "Specific" things that can make me "Anti-Muslim", or "Anti-Anything" for that matter.

Do you think AMERICANS should, in general, be anti-Christian ?

katrix
6.1.3  katrix  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.1    one week ago

I think America should be anti-child abuse. Anti-religious extremist, too. Whether it's the fanatical rabbis doing those unhygienic circumcisions, or female genital mutilation, or priests raping children and nuns, or people slicing their children's heads - we should call it out and condemn it. Religion does not give people free passes for these actions, although it is the root cause of these actions.

JohnRussell
6.1.4  JohnRussell  replied to  It Is ME @6.1.2    one week ago
Do you think AMERICANS should, in general, be anti-Christian ?

The only anti-Christians I know are anti-every other religion too.  Atheists.  Do you have a point? 

It Is ME
6.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.4    one week ago
The only anti-Christians I know are anti-every other religion too.

Or the ones putting up anything "Christian", as a bad thing on this site, just  to counter anything put up about "Islam" ? jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

Old Hermit
6.1.6  Old Hermit  replied to  It Is ME @6.1    one week ago
I dont approve of the ritual, but unfortunately this article is presented here just to foment anti-Muslim attitudes. 

Not unfortunate at all.

It's real, isn't it ?

The use of flails and self crucifixion by some Christians or baby dropping rituals by some Hindus are also real.

Because some religions have some parishioners who carry out bizarre rituals do we then move every member of those religions into the human animal column as well, like this article encourages us do with all Muslims?

original

original

throwbaby.bmp

It Is ME
6.1.7  It Is ME  replied to  Old Hermit @6.1.6    one week ago

Thanks !

Re-Read comment 6.1.5. jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
6.2  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  JohnRussell @6    one week ago

Spare us the virtue signaling John. No one buys it.

JohnRussell
6.2.1  JohnRussell  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @6.2    one week ago

You have a history of anti-Muslim seeds and comments a mile long. 

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
6.2.2  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2.1    one week ago

There is nothing wrong with condemning behavior like Muslims tossing gays off rooftops or Priests raping kids.

You have a history of making excuses for abhorrent behavior so you can feel hip with the SJW crowd. LOL

JohnRussell
6.2.3  JohnRussell  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @6.2.2    one week ago

I'm not making excuses for the Muslim ritual, I just know what you're doing. 

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
6.2.4  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2.3    one week ago

On one hand we have John making racist statements about blacks that don't identify as democrats over the years and on the other we have the constant virtue signaling in seeds to point out examples of racism.

Self awareness is not your friend.

JohnRussell
6.2.5  JohnRussell  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @6.2.4    one week ago

lol. 

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
6.2.6  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2.5    one week ago

It's really not funny, it's kind of sad.

Texan1211
6.2.7  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @6.2.1    one week ago
You have a history of anti-Muslim seeds and comments a mile long. 

How is seeding an article about a very old Muslim tradition considered anti-Muslim?

What is anti-Muslim about it, other than the fact you don't like the subject matter or the seeder?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
6.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @6    one week ago

I know Krish and he is not anti-Muslim. But this is a good example of extremism at it's worst, and no healthy western society should want this. 

And by the same token, we have run articles about sects of Christians who deny health care to their children, which is also extremism. Our society should have no tolerance for any of this, and all of this should be condemned. 

JohnRussell
6.3.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.3    one week ago

In isolation there is nothing wrong with the article. But there are anti-Muslims on this site, you know it and I know it.  This seed is like a catnip for them. 

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
6.3.2  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  JohnRussell @6.3.1    one week ago

No one is anti-Muslim. By your logic defenders of Ilhan and the bigot click would be antisemites.

Hurry someone summon Gunny back to explain it.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
6.3.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @6.3.1    one week ago

John,

Daily, many faiths get it on this site. It is a discussion site. And this holiday is going on right now. It is news and it is horrific. 

Notice I put up a qualifier that the Sunni don't do this. Are they not Muslims?

JohnRussell
6.3.4  JohnRussell  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @6.3.2    one week ago
No one is anti-Muslim.

kansasmelting.gif

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
6.3.5  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.3    one week ago

Everyone needs a purpose in life. Dog the Bounty Hunter,  Gerbil the bigot hunter.

Dean Moriarty
6.3.6  Dean Moriarty  replied to  JohnRussell @6.3.4    one week ago

It’s all good. I thought you were anti-Mormon in 2012 when Romney was running. 

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
6.3.7  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  Dean Moriarty @6.3.6    one week ago

How anti-Muslim can we be, we elected a Muslim president ?

Krishna
6.3.8  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.3.3    one week ago
 Notice I put up a qualifier that the Sunni don't do this. Are they not Muslims?

And FWIW, less than 20% of the world's Muslims are Shia.

Krishna
6.3.9  seeder  Krishna  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @6.3.5    one week ago

Everyone needs a purpose in life. Dog the Bounty Hunter,  Gerbil the bigot hunter.

Rumour has it that some people in Seattle-- event hunt-- MUSHROOMS!

Mushroom hunting in Seattle area

(You've gotta be quick though-- when frightened Mushrooms can move faster than you've ever imagined!!!)

Krishna
6.3.10  seeder  Krishna  replied to  JohnRussell @6.3.1    one week ago

This seed is like a catnip for them. 

And here all along I suspected it might have been  CAVIAR TO THE GENERAL!

Buzz of the Orient
6.3.11  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @6.3.2    6 days ago

John has a real problem in being able to distinguish between those who disdain the extremist Islamists and those who praise Muslim reformers. I have been victimized by him in that regard as much as anyone.

al Jizzerror
6.3.12  al Jizzerror  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @6.3.7    4 days ago
we elected a Muslim president

That's a fucking LIE.

Paula Bartholomew
6.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @6    one week ago

I am anti anyone who would harm a child in this manner.  I don't care what race or religion they are.  Wrong is wrong.

WallyW
6.5  WallyW  replied to  JohnRussell @6    one week ago

Precisely. Can't think of any legitimate reason to post such an ugly and disturbing article

Buzz of the Orient
6.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @6    one week ago
"I dont approve of the ritual, but unfortunately this article is presented here just to foment anti-Muslim attitudes."

LOL.  Says the NT member who presents Trump-bashing articles almost every day to foment anti-Trump attitudes.

JohnRussell
6.6.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.6    one week ago

I wouldnt expect anything less from someone who habitually seeds from an anti-Muslim site Buzz. 

Buzz of the Orient
6.6.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @6.6.1    one week ago

It's not anti-Muslim, it's anti-radical Islamist. It PRAISES Muslim reformers, just as I do. It's only those who support Islamists and ignore the creeping Caliphate (which is pervading Europe already) or misled Social Justice Warriors and BDS supporters who slander that site. Of course slandering it might be because of its completely justifiable support of Israel's existence.

Buzz of the Orient
6.6.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @6.6.1    5 days ago

Oh, I forgot to say that I was amused by your using a rather unusual expression "I wouldn't expect anything less...."  which echoes Major Strassa (Conrad Veidt) in the movie Casablanca, wherein he said "I expected nothing less."

Kathleen
7  Kathleen    one week ago

That poor child and all the other children that have been treated this way.  No words can describe how horrible this is.

TᵢG
8  TᵢG    one week ago

Critical thinking is good; people should make use of that mental faculty.

Krishna
8.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  TᵢG @8    one week ago

Critical thinking is good; people should make use of that mental faculty.

WTF?

Don't you know that critical thinking is forbidden on social media sites? jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

TᵢG
8.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  Krishna @8.1    one week ago

I am not referring to social media participants, I am referring to people who cut open their heads, their kid's heads and other bat-shit crazy acts.

Freefaller
9  Freefaller    one week ago

Religious nutbars

dennis smith
10  dennis smith    one week ago

As sad as this is, it is accepted and praised by those who do it and those who encourage and allow it.  

Tells the world they will do exactly what they will do and when they will do it. 

Time for the world to put up or shut up about this type of atrocity.

FLYNAVY1
11  FLYNAVY1    one week ago

I can't help but think how much further along humanity would be, and how much better the world would be without all forms of organized religion.

Faith is nothing more than self imposed ignorance..... Crack a physics book if you want to have faith in something.

Krishna
11.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @11    6 days ago
I can't help but think how much further along humanity would be, and how much better the world would be without all forms of organized religion.

Quakers? Jainism? Amish? Ba'hai? The Yezidis? The Sikhs? Taoism?

al Jizzerror
12  al Jizzerror    4 days ago

Fortunately the vast majority of Muslims do NOT participate in these bloody Ashura rituals.

I think these masochists have the right to cut and beat themselves butt they should be universally condemned for their fucking child abuse.

Please DO NOT watch the following video if you are squeamish.  The video shows how disgusting religious fanatics can be.

Sunshine
13  Sunshine    4 days ago

Why is the government letting this happen?  

al Jizzerror
13.1  al Jizzerror  replied to  Sunshine @13    4 days ago
Why is the government letting this happen?

What government?

Ashura rituals (in various forms) happen in many countries including here in the U.S.

The ritual in the U.S. is just self flagellation with NO children involved.  This religious masochism is protected by the 1st Amendment.

Sunshine
13.1.1  Sunshine  replied to  al Jizzerror @13.1    4 days ago
What government?

Any or all that allow children to be harmed.

Those men are just dancing and patting themselves not cutting.