╌>

Florida, hard hit by coronavirus this summer, will reopen bars and restaurants with no restrictions

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  4 years ago  •  190 comments

By:   Wilson Wong

Florida, hard hit by coronavirus this summer, will reopen bars and restaurants with no restrictions

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis announced on Friday that Florida, hard hit by coronavirus pandemic this summer, was moving into Phase 3 of reopening, lifting all restrictions on restaurants and businesses.

DeSantis, a Republican, said restaurants, hotels and bars across the state can immediately reopen at full capacity. A staunch supporter of President Donald Trump, DeSantis has been widely criticized in the past for reopening Florida early in the pandemic — a move that came after the governor met with the president."

The order would also prohibit local governments from restricting business operations unless they can justify the economic cost of such actions.

"There will not be limitations," DeSantis said at a press conference in St. Petersburg. "They can operate at a minimum of 50 percent regardless of local rule and then, if a local restricts between 50 and 100 [percent], they've got to provide the justification and they've got to identify what the costs involved with doing that are."

florida-desantis-bars-thumb.focal-760x428.jpg

Florida governor announces restaurants, bars can reopen at full capacity

Bars are able to decide how to handle capacity at their establishments. Bars were allowed to reopen at 50 percent capacity on Sep. 10.

"If you want to go beyond the 50, you can authorize and do it," DeSantis said. "We're not telling you you have to, but we're not going to stand in the way of that, so that'll be a local decision if they want to try to do more capacity in some of the bars and pubs."

Gyms, hair salons and amusement parks were not addressed during the governor's announcement on Friday, but most gyms and businesses have already been operating at full capacity.

The Sunshine State suffered devastatinglossesthispastsummer after it reopened in May just as the coronavirus was starting to crest. Covid-19 infections clustered in South Florida, where municipal officials reinstated restrictions on bars and eateries in an effort to curb the spread of the coronavirus.

The uptick in cases during the months of July and August prompted the governor to close bars and restrict restaurants to take out only, but he has since slowly reopened the state for business even as the virus continues to decimate the U.S.

On Friday, Florida reported 2,541 new Covid-19 infections, bringing the state total to nearly 700,000 total confirmed cases. 177 deaths were recorded on Friday, bringing the cumulative state total to 13,914.

The state currently ranks third in most confirmed cases and fifth in deaths in the country since the pandemic began.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

Trying for record numbers?  Is it a competition?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1  cjcold  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    4 years ago

It's still upside downed with far right wing fascists

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     4 years ago

Well mini me didn't learn from the last major fuck up of his, which led to Florida being devastated by the virus. Now it's full steam ahead, again.

The testing for the virus in Florida is averaging in the mid 20K per day. We have a population of 21 million. The 7 day average of positivity rate is 11%. 

The number of kids testing positive is moving up.

As both Trump and DeSantis have said, it mostly affects seniors...Well, dumb asses 26% of the population of Florida is over 60 years old. 

Some restaurant owners seem to have much better sense than DeSantis.

“The most important thing for us is for our staff and our guests to continue to feel safe," said restaurateur Richard Gonzmart, whose Columbia Restaurant Group owns The Columbia, Ulele and Goody Goody. "We are evaluating each of our restaurants and will add some tables and seats, but not anything close to 100 percent capacity at this time.”
Tom DeGeorge, owner of Ybor City’s Crowbar, also said he’d reopen at his own pace.

“I certainly am not going to sit there and open my doors 1,000 percent,” DeGeorge said. “I’m probably going to do exactly what I was going to do when I felt comfortable doing it and not worry about the government and what they told me.”

Jeff Gigante, co-founder of Forbici Modern Italian in Hyde Park Village, said the restaurant plans to maintain its protocols, meaning 50 percent capacity inside and full capacity outside. But his restaurant has a large interior space, so he understands why other establishments might want to increase their capacity.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @2    4 years ago

I would urge all non-trump supporters to continue using the safety protocols until a vaccine is readily available.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.1.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  devangelical @2.1    4 years ago

The stupid that don't want to wear a mask and social distance will cull themselves out of the herd.....

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.2  devangelical  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.1.1    4 years ago

I'm a big fan of natural selection. it's evident that patronizing morons leads to moron presidents.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Ender  replied to  devangelical @2.1.2    4 years ago

Idiocracy in action.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.4  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.1.1    4 years ago
The stupid that don't want to wear a mask and social distance will cull themselves out of the herd.....

That's what I was thinking. 

I am shocked that this is a partisan thing. It just blows my mind.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.5  XXJefferson51  replied to  devangelical @2.1    4 years ago

That will be in about 30 days or so...

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.6  devangelical  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.5    4 years ago

I'm confident trump will figure out a way to F everything up, like he has during the entire pandemic.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3  Thrawn 31    4 years ago

Look, people say Florida is the dumbest state in the union, you don't ACTUALLY have to sacrifice people to prove it. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1  devangelical  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3    4 years ago

with the help of trump sycophants, covid morphs into goober pox ...

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4  Greg Jones    4 years ago

I see hysterical fear mongering continues unabated.

How many elderly and ill people patronize restaurants and bars?

What is the death rate in Florida?

Economic and job losses have been devastating to small businesses and their employees.

Common sense restrictions like masking and distancing seem to work.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
4.2  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Greg Jones @4    4 years ago
How many elderly and ill people patronize restaurants and bars

Florida has the highest population of senior citizens in the US at 20%.   But what kind of question is that, anyway?  It looks like you are saying people of age don't count because they don't (or shouldn't?) patronize restaurants and bars as much.  

And this:

...is interesting, considering DeSantis just discontinued mask penalties and gave bars and restaurants the chance to open 100% right now if they chose to do so.  source

And on a somewhat related note, Trump has been encouraging voters in Florida to vote by mail.  Why the serious about-face?  Could it be because he knew he would lose votes if Florida seniors had to wait in long lines at polling stations?  (The answer to that is yes.)

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.3  Kavika   replied to  Greg Jones @4    4 years ago
How many elderly and ill people patronize restaurants and bars?

26% of Florida residents are over 60 years old. That should give you some idea of their impact on the Florida economy.

What is the death rate in Florida?

2.02% If that death rate is applied to the population of Florida that would be in the neighborhood of 400,000 deaths.

Did you actually read the article? It doesn't seem that you did.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.4  XXJefferson51  replied to  Greg Jones @4    4 years ago

Way to go Florida and South Dakota.  [Deleted]

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.5  Dulay  replied to  Greg Jones @4    4 years ago

Did you note that DeSantis removed all penalties for refusal to wear masks? Do you remember the lack of compliance before those penalties went into effect? 

The economy isn't coming back until we get control of the spread of the virus. PERIOD, full stop. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.5.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Dulay @4.5    4 years ago

The economy is coming back in states that are re opening and not in those that are not.  The unemployment rates in Fla. and Tex. compared to NY and Ca. are evidence of that. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.5.2  Dulay  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.5.1    4 years ago

FL and TX unemployment is going UP.

NY and CA unemployment is going DOWN. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.5.3  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @4.5.2    4 years ago
FL and TX unemployment is going UP.

NY and CA unemployment is going DOWN. 

You should probably actually read your sources to make sure they support your theory.

Take a real look at Texas numbers and then try to tell me that unemployment is increasing in Texas.

In FACT, Texas has lower unemployment (which is DECREASING, not INcreasing, btw) than California OR New York.

And preliminary numbers for Florida show a lower preliminary rate than either California OR New York.

Best try something else to bamboozle me with.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.5.4  Texan1211  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.5.1    4 years ago

Don't fall for that crap.

Read his link, it will tell THE TRUTH.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.5.5  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @4.5.2    4 years ago

As a matter of fact, if states like New York, California, New Jersey, Illinois, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Nevada, and New Mexico could get their unemployment rates down, the national average would go down considerably.

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
4.5.6  Account Deleted  replied to  Texan1211 @4.5.3    4 years ago

Maybe the data will be revised by the Dept. of Labor but Texas internal data estimates shows that unemployment claims more than doubled this last week.

9/12    49,644*
9/19    47,497*
9/26   103,800
Unless indicated, numbers are estimates based on internal TWC data and are subject to revision.  * Official Department of Labor Data when available and TWC Estimates

Might have to wait a week to see which direction the State is going in.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.5.7  Kavika   replied to  Texan1211 @4.5.5    4 years ago

At this point in time, I don't believe that we have a true reading of the unemployment situation. 

Last week there were 870,000 new unemployment claims and 630,000 for gig workers, self-employed etc.

I believe it's the end of October that the government funding to corporations ends and some have said that without more support from the government there will be a large number of layoffs.

We shall see at the end of October what happens.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.5.8  Texan1211  replied to  Account Deleted @4.5.6    4 years ago

Here are the numbers from the source the poster provided:

Data Series Back
Data
Mar
Apr
May
June
July
Aug

Labor Force Data

Civilian Labor Force ( 1 )

14,004.5 12,960.7 13,498.3 13,794.3 13,834.7 ( P ) 14,378.0

Employment ( 1 )

13,288.7 11,216.7 11,745.0 12,639.4 12,721.1 ( P ) 13,403.4

Unemployment ( 1 )

715.8 1,744.0 1,753.2 1,154.9 1,113.6 ( P ) 974.6

Unemployment Rate ( 2 )

5.1 13.5 13.0 8.4 8.0 ( P ) 6.8

pat wilson
Professor Participates
4.5.9  pat wilson  replied to  Kavika @4.5.7    4 years ago

The airline industry is about to shed hundreds of thousands of jobs if the government doesn't resume emergency funding.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.5.10  Kavika   replied to  pat wilson @4.5.9    4 years ago

Both United and AA have said there will be thousands of layoff/terminations after OCT 1st if the feds don't pony up billions more. I suspect that many of the other airlines will be following suit.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.5.11  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @4.5.5    4 years ago

They don’t want their numbers to go down before the election.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.5.12  XXJefferson51  replied to  Kavika @4.5.10    4 years ago

Nancy and Chuck are determined to make us all suffer in their attempt to inflict enough pain upon us in the hope we will then vote our President Trump.  Well we won’t.  We will bear whatever pain they inflict upon us to be able to inflict President Trump upon you all for four more years....

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.5.13  Kavika   replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.5.12    4 years ago

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.5.14  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @4.5.3    4 years ago

The chart #s for TX  don't reflect the August shutdown. Bars are still shut down, right Tex? Your newspapers are freaking out about businesses closing permanently after the second shut down. 

Whether TX's unemployment is higher or lower that CA or NY is irrelevant to my point. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.5.15  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @4.5.5    4 years ago

Wow, revelatory! /s

Ender
Professor Principal
6  Ender    4 years ago

What gets me is young people somehow thinking they will be fine and it is nothing.

Young people are dying, not to mention spreading it to others or any unknown about long term health implications.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7  MrFrost    4 years ago

It's ironic really. Yes of course, we all want to, "go back to normal", but people like DeSantis who promote no masks and no social distancing fail to realize that they are the biggest obstacle to "getting back to normal". 

If we had a nation wide mask mandate for 2 weeks, it would likely drop the infection rates to the point where we could start, "getting back to normal". 

Trump said in his campaign ad, that Biden will give in to covid and let it run wild. This, after trump has still to even endorse something as easy as wearing a fucking mask. Trump doesn't want covid to go away because endorsing measures to get rid of covid would blow a hole right through his, "it's a hoax" bullshit. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8  TᵢG    4 years ago

I appreciate the position that the state should not impose unilateral restrictions, but this is going to introduce problems.   By stating phase III and removing restrictions, the governor is implicitly stating that the threat of infection is now down to the point where the state need not be so involved.

That message needs to be corrected.   The governor should at the very least maintain a program, starting with him stating this directly, of reminding the people that COVID-19 infections are as potent now as they ever were.   That social distancing and masks are every bit as important now as before.   That people and businesses need to continue to be on their guard and be responsible.

Sure, I can see moving the decisions to local jurisdictions and even to the businesses and the consumers themselves.   But not without a program of keeping the public informed of the risks so that they do not rationalize 'it is okay, the governor just moved us to phase III'.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
8.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  TᵢG @8    4 years ago

Hey... I'm done with trying to talk stupid out of being stupid.  Go to Trump rallies, don't wear a mask, don't social distance, continue to disregard science.... I don't care any more.

Stupid is on the ballot in November, and it's identified by the names with the "R" next to it. Vote for the other guy. 

We know what to do.... Just vote blue!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @8.1    4 years ago

Okay for bars and restaurants which people can avoid.   Not okay for grocery stores, etc.    

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.1.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @8.1    4 years ago

[Deleted]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.1.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @8.1    4 years ago

[deleted]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.1.4  XXJefferson51  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.1.3    4 years ago

[deleted]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.1.5  XXJefferson51  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @8.1    4 years ago

In some places opposing or contrary viewpoints simply aren’t tolerated.  We won’t let the blue city and blue state attitude spread to the rest of us.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.1.6  XXJefferson51  replied to  TᵢG @8.1.1    4 years ago

I only put on my mask in a grocery store or other such place when or where ever I can’t socially distance.  Sometimes I’ll go to Food Max instead of Walmart for groceries because it’s far less crowded and I’ll never be where I can’t  socially distance while there.  I wear one to church and to work but otherwise make a point of not wearing one anywhere else if I can socially distance outside of my home or car.  I love making a point of being seen in public without one whenever I can just to spite blue politicians and their supporters everywhere.  Reading the lamentations of our progressive on line news publication A news cafe here on matters such as this, as well as re opening, in person education, Trump parades, back the blue rallies, and religious gatherings is quite entertaining.   

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.1.7  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.1.6    4 years ago
I love making a point of being seen in public without one whenever I can just to spite blue politicians and their supporters everywhere.

That is childish behavior;  irresponsible too.

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1.8  Kavika   replied to  TᵢG @8.1.7    4 years ago
That is childish behavior;  irresponsible too.

Well that is how a child would act.

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1.9  Kavika   replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.1.4    4 years ago

[deleted]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.1.10  XXJefferson51  replied to  TᵢG @8.1.7    4 years ago

Why?  How is it irresponsible to wear one at indoor church and work and other places where social distancing isn’t possible?  I take responsible steps to keep myself and others safe.  Does it bother you that I choose to spite blue state political leaders and their supporters by publicly not wearing one elsewhere outside my car and home where I can safely do so and make a political point?  I say and do whatever I can where ever I can to safely support the police blue and re opening and Trump rallies and religious gatherings outdoors while opposing mandatory one size fits all plans everywhere.  I feel I can keep myself and those I go close to safe while actively opposing blue state regime schemes and promote our local reopening in my red city and county.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.1.11  XXJefferson51  replied to  Kavika @8.1.9    4 years ago

Did you say that to 8.1.1 which I directly responded to or are you singling me out for the same thing your friend said?  

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1.12  Kavika   replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.1.11    4 years ago
Did you say that to 8.1.1 which I directly responded to or are you singling me out for the same thing your friend said?  

Singling you out...There is that persecution complex again.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.1.13  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.1.10    4 years ago
How is it irresponsible to wear one at indoor church and work and other places where social distancing isn’t possible?

Here is what you wrote:

MAGA @8.1.6I love making a point of being seen in public without one whenever I can just to spite blue politicians and their supporters everywhere.

It is irresponsible and childish to purposely make a point of going maskless simply to spite others.   

MAGA OPTICS Look at me not wearing a mask ... those on the left are trying to control you by making you wear masks.   

As opposed to:

GOOD OPTICS This pandemic is serious shit and we should all do what we can to keep the infection rate down.

Irresponsible and childish.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
8.1.14  FLYNAVY1  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.1.5    4 years ago

Ignore science at your own peril...... I don't give a crap.  Go to a Trump rally where nobody wants to social distance or wear a mask...  Let them cull themselves out for being part of the Trump cult.  Might just be the best contribution to America that Trump has participated in

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.1.15  XXJefferson51  replied to  TᵢG @8.1.13    4 years ago

Again I wear one of the instruments of external control at work and indoor church and in places I can’t socially distance. The fact that you don’t like it that I make a point of not wearing one where I can socially distance is music to my ears and all the more reason to continue as I’m doing.   

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.1.16  XXJefferson51  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @8.1.14    4 years ago

Nice death wishing there!  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.1.17  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.1.15    4 years ago
The fact that you don’t like it that I make a point of not wearing one where I can socially distance is music to my ears and all the more reason to continue as I’m doing.

Irresponsible and childish.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
8.1.18  FLYNAVY1  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.1.16    4 years ago

What's worse C4P:

A. Me allowing Trump supporters to do what they want..... (that liberty thingy....you're supposed to be big on.)

or

B. Trump holding the rally in the first place knowingly putting Americans lives at risk all while telling them it's a hoax?

American deaths from Covid: 36,000

American deaths from Trump's shit response to covid: 169,000 and counting....

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  TᵢG @8    4 years ago

[deleted]

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
8.2.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.2    4 years ago

South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem 'schooling' Rachel Maddow?  I'm sure you have a plausible reason for seeding an unrelated article within Perrie's seed about Florida and Ron DeSantis, but I can't seem to put my finger on it.

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.2.2  Kavika   replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.2    4 years ago

The 7 day moving average of positive COVID cases in SD is 24.2%.

Do you ever actually research anything?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.2.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @8.2.1    4 years ago

Because the governors of both states share the same attitudes and outlook on the issue as I do so I thought they were related because to a conservative they are!  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.2.4  XXJefferson51  replied to  Kavika @8.2.2    4 years ago

[Deleted]

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
8.2.5  FLYNAVY1  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.2.3    4 years ago

So you are all good with deaths that could be prevented..... Who's death wishing now?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2.6  sandy-2021492  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @8.2.5    4 years ago

I also have to wonder how that squares with claiming to be "pro-life".  Seems inconsistent to me.  As if those "pro-life" views depend on who is being inconvenienced - the carrier of an unwanted pregnancy for 9 months, with discomfort, pain, and possible risk to health and life involved, versus a person who just doesn't wanna wear a mask for 20 minutes.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
8.2.7  FLYNAVY1  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.2.6    4 years ago

Exactly Sandy.....  They are pro-life out of convenience not critical thinking.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
9  Nerm_L    4 years ago

Well, the government can't do the thinking for people.  Just because a bar is open doesn't mean anyone has to go.  Eating at restaurants isn't mandated by the government, you know.

See the problem with indoctrinating a population to simply do as they are told?  See the problem with the idea that if something is legal it can't be wrong?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Nerm_L @9    4 years ago

Nerm,

Again, it just doesn't work that way. You are counting on people being responsible and yet we have seen time and time again, they are not. 

And worse than that, he is encouraging college kids to go out and party. 

That is not being responsible. That is being a partisan hack at the cost of other's lives. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
9.1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1    4 years ago

It’s definitely not responsible according to the nanny state advocates to count on the American people to be individually responsible and make good choices for their and their families lives. Individual liberty and personal responsibility are such immoral and un American concepts.  Who could have dared to pollute the rabble with such thoughts is the question bi coastal progressive elitists ask themselves every day.  

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
9.1.2  Nerm_L  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1    4 years ago
Again, it just doesn't work that way. You are counting on people being responsible and yet we have seen time and time again, they are not. 

Yeah, there are people who lick ice cream.  There are people who drive around the gates at railroad crossings.  There are people who point lasers at aircraft.

Those who act irresponsibly aren't forcing anyone to go to a bar or restaurant.  Just because someone is allowed to do something stupid doesn't mean everyone else is being deprived.

The government can't do the thinking for those who are simply stupid.  And it's impossible to eliminate stupidity with government mandates.  Shutting down bars and restaurants only means stupid people will be stupid somewhere else.  We've seen too many news reports to deny that reality, too.  Opening bars and restaurants really isn't any different than allowing a red light district; the irresponsible behavior is somewhat contained and easier to trace.

Are we prepared to imprison people for acting stupidly?  Are we prepared to follow the Chinese model of Reeducation Through Labor and build detention camps?  How far are we willing to go to stop irresponsible behavior?

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
9.1.3  Nerm_L  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1    4 years ago

[deleted]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.4  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Nerm_L @9.1.2    4 years ago

OK this is how it goes, Nerm.

Since there will be no mandatory social distancing or mask wearing all those idiots who want to go into a bar, can get the virus. The masks only work, if both parties wear them. If only one does, the likelihood of the virus spreading increases. So I could pick up the virus, even if I am social distancing but the smuck ahead of me is not wearing a mask. 

So I become a victim of the stupid. 

When someone kills someone with a car because they were being reckless, they are charged with Vehicular manslaughter. What do you charge someone for not wearing a mask?

And nowhere in the US are we following what they did in China. Now that is fear-mongering.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.6  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to    4 years ago

If you are breaking the law, then that is the law. 

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
9.1.7  Nerm_L  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1.4    4 years ago
Since there will be no mandatory social distancing or mask wearing all those idiots who want to go into a bar, can get the virus. The masks only work, if both parties wear them. If only one does, the likelihood of the virus spreading increases. So I could pick up the virus, even if I am social distancing but the smuck ahead of me is not wearing a mask.

That is correct.  But you could also pick up the virus if the schmuck ahead of you is wearing a mask. 

Masks reduce transmission of COVID by 30 pct.  Masks won't stop spread of COVID.  

If proper procedure is followed and the mask is well fitted, the mask can reduce chance of being infected by 65 pct.  The proper procedure requires washing hands thoroughly before putting on the mask, washing hands thoroughly before removing the mask, and washing hands thoroughly after removing the mask.  Splashing hand sanitizer isn't enough.

So I become a victim of the stupid. 

Only if you go to a bar, restaurant, or anywhere there is a crowd.  The choice is yours.

When someone kills someone with a car because they were being reckless, they are charged with Vehicular manslaughter. What do you charge someone for not wearing a mask?

People have been arrested and charged for spreading HIV.  I'm surprised contact tracing hasn't been used for civil litigation.

And nowhere in the US are we following what they did in China. Now that is fear-mongering.

That is correct.  So, what do we do with the schmuck ahead of you that's not wearing a mask?  Throw them in prison?  Beat them senseless?  Doxing?  What is the alternative to following China's example?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
9.1.8  XXJefferson51  replied to  Nerm_L @9.1.7    4 years ago

[deleted]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
9.1.9  XXJefferson51  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1.6    4 years ago

Whose law?  Was it passed by a legislature and signed by a governor?  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
9.1.10  XXJefferson51  replied to  XXJefferson51 @9.1.8    4 years ago

[deleted]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
9.1.11  XXJefferson51  replied to  Nerm_L @9.1.7    4 years ago

“That is correct.  So, what do we do with the schmuck ahead of you that's not wearing a mask?  Throw them in prison?  Beat them senseless?  Doxing?  What is the alternative to following China's example?”

Bingo!  You said it well and are right on. The battle between the red state and the blue on this issue will persist no matter who wins the Presidency in November.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.12  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  XXJefferson51 @9.1.11    4 years ago
“That is correct.  So, what do we do with the schmuck ahead of you that's not wearing a mask?  Throw them in prison?  Beat them senseless?  Doxing? 

No. Ask them to put on a mask. If they don't get the store manager. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.13  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Nerm_L @9.1.7    4 years ago
Only if you go to a bar, restaurant, or anywhere there is a crowd.  The choice is yours.

Not if they are not wearing a mask, because they could be carriers and my mask alone will not do it if I am in a grocery store with said moron. I lose my choice.

People have been arrested and charged for spreading HIV.  I'm surprised contact tracing hasn't been used for civil litigation.

Tell me how well that idea would go over. Oh yeah you did here:

So, what do we do with the schmuck ahead of you that's not wearing a mask?  Throw them in prison?  Beat them senseless?  Doxing?

Normal people ask the moron to put on a mask and when they don't they get the store manager. 

We live in a society and as such, we have a social contract. If mask-wearing protects against this disease, it is a small inconvenience. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.1.16  TᵢG  replied to  XDm9mm @9.1.14    4 years ago
If there is no government or store 'requirement' to do so, who are you to demand it? 

Good point.   But she wrote 'ask', not 'demand'.   And certainly if the store has no policy of masks and/or there are no governmental requirements then going to the store manager would be pointless.   In this case I suspect Perrie would not say anything and instead choose to no longer be a patron of the store.

But if a store has a mask policy (which is the norm nowadays), what Perrie suggested is perfectly reasonable.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.18  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  XDm9mm @9.1.15    4 years ago
The choice most certainly is yours.  To stay or leave.   If you want to stay, you can't force your will on others.

Again, part of the social contract. The science is there that shows mutual mask wearing is the safest way to go. And btw, that person without a mask, is spreading their germs on surfaces everywhere. So even after they leave, people can bring that into their homes without even knowing.

Well spoken comrade. 

Look, I am sick and tired of your insults. 

If that's actually how you feel, then how about monitors to make sure people wash their hands before leaving public restrooms?  Should masks be mandated when the seasonal flu comes knocking?  What other 'disease' should we protect society from by forcing mask wearing?

We are in the middle of a national disaster. In the good old days, people worked together on this. This virus is a major killer. As far as I remember, no one has ever asked for this before other than 1918.

At what point do people lose their rights and change their designation from free citizens to dictator subjects?

Here is a concept. We have to follow loads of rules both on the books and part of our social contract. If you get in your car drunk and kill someone, you go to jail. There have been people who knew they were sick and went out in public and that is just messed up. At least a mask might have mitigated their spreading of the disease. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.19  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  TᵢG @9.1.16    4 years ago
In this case I suspect Perrie would not say anything and instead choose to no longer be a patron of the store.

And I did that at a local beverage store over the summer and a Carvel. And they have lost me as a customer and my family. And for the record, I could have reported them to NYS, but I didn't.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.20  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to    4 years ago
You want to put people who don't wear mask in jail because you believe they should wear a mask. 

Where did I say that? Please show me.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.1.21  TᵢG  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1.20    4 years ago

With some, I spend more time correcting inexplicable misrepresentation of my words than making comments.   It is as if there is some unseen force that drives some to simply presume notions rather than pay attention to what was actually written.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.1.23  TᵢG  replied to    4 years ago

Masks and social distancing are not perfect protection.   But it is far safer to go to a store where everyone is wearing a mask and social distancing than a store where some are not.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.24  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  TᵢG @9.1.21    4 years ago

It is beyond maddening. I own my words. I don't need someone inventing new ones that I never said. It is purposeful misrepresentation. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.28  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to    4 years ago

What are you talking about? In NY, they get a ticket. That's what happens.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.31  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  XDm9mm @9.1.26    4 years ago
Once again, the CHOICE is yours.  All I'm hearing from you is a dictate to be a good little automaton and to go around doing what you're told to do like a good boy or girl.

No the choice is not mine. Someone else made my choice for me, and that is wrong. 

Nice of you to delete all of this out and then call it an insult. 

Insults get flagged. I flagged it. Next time don't insult me in a civil discussion.

You evaded the question and started a lecture.

What question?  This one?

If that's actually how you feel, then how about monitors to make sure people wash their hands before leaving public restrooms?  Should masks be mandated when the seasonal flu comes knocking?  What other 'disease' should we protect society from by forcing mask wearing?

I didn't answer it because it was it is obvious. We have been living under those conditions forever and obviously, we never did anything about it. So really your question is just a reflection from a national emergency.

Here is another concept.  People are free to make choices based on their knowledge and experience.  

OK, then I guess they are free to drive drunk, too, because they have they are basing their choice on knowledge and experience.  

So, now the POSSIBILITY of "mitigating" something is sufficient reason to demand others do something to satisfy you.  Got it.   And you actually claimed I insulted you?

Talk about cherry-picking the content of my comment. Another person after that comment might have actually insulted you, but I won't.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.32  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to    4 years ago
You said charged not a ticket maybe you should have said ticket please read your post.

Why would you assume anything else?

Why are you going to get liquor store and for ice cream if you are going to be around someone with health concerns or the elderly?

Because I do the shopping for my family. And I said a beverage store, not a liquor store, so again, you are misrepresenting what I said. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.1.34  TᵢG  replied to    4 years ago
I also understand if you are around the elderly or someone with health concerns you shouldn't being going to get ice cream or the garden center anyway.

I have direct experience with this.   My 92 father-in-law lives with us.   My wife and I are extremely careful to protect him.   However, we necessarily must go to stores to buy groceries and supplies.   We have been largely housebound this year and have been making use of delivery services where possible.

But, it is virtually impossible to avoid people entirely so I appreciate the considerate people who wear masks and maintain a social distance.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
9.1.35  Nerm_L  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1.13    4 years ago
Not if they are not wearing a mask, because they could be carriers and my mask alone will not do it if I am in a grocery store with said moron. I lose my choice.

No, you do not lose your choice.  Social distancing isn't dependent upon whether or not another person is wearing a mask.  And the other person wearing a mask only lessens spread of the virus, assuming they are shedding the virus.  

What you lose is convenience.  It's necessary to be aware of your surroundings and adjust your behavior accordingly.  It's necessary to pay attention to other people and exercise patience.  The schmuck ahead of you wearing a mask doesn't eliminate the need to maintain distance.

The virus is small enough that it can pass through a mask.  The mask is intended to stop droplets from coughing, sneezing, and talking but won't be as effective at stopping aerosols.   People wearing masks doesn't eliminate the need to maintain distance.  Yes, it's a pain in the ass but those are the guidelines.  It's necessary to stand and wait for people to move on.  And someone that invades my space just because I am wearing a mask is a threat.  If I didn't wear a mask I would be safer from idiots who won't maintain distance.   The guidelines are for a mask AND distance.

When I go shopping, I find a cart that has been left outside and take that into the store.  If I can, I take one that is at the front of the rack since it has been there longer.  

I only shop at stores with restrooms.  When I'm finished shopping and take my items to the car, I have to go back into the store and thoroughly wash my hands with soap and water before I can remove my mask.  I cannot remove my mask without washing my hands first.  If the store doesn't have a restroom then I have to drive somewhere else to wash my hands before removing my mask.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.36  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to    4 years ago

In NYS, we call shops that carry large quantities of both soda and beer "beverage" stores. Liquor and wine are sold in liquor stores. And where I live there is no online service for pick up or delivery for any food goods, as if I couldn't figure that out myself. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.1.40  TᵢG  replied to  Nerm_L @9.1.35    4 years ago
No, you do not lose your choice.  Social distancing isn't dependent upon whether or not another person is wearing a mask.  And the other person wearing a mask only lessens spread of the virus, assuming they are shedding the virus.  

Perrie never claimed social distancing is a function of wearing a mask.

The schmuck ahead of you wearing a mask doesn't eliminate the need to maintain distance.

Where did she say it did?

People wearing masks doesn't eliminate the need to maintain distance. 

Is your entire post going to be strawman claims??  

So now here is how I interpreted Perrie's comment.

Imagine Perrie in a grocery store.   She is standing in line to check out and someone behind her is not wearing a mask and/or is not practicing social distancing.   Her 'choice' is to ask the person to step back and wear a mask or she can leave her groceries at the counter and leave the store.

How about people just wear masks and social distance and thus engage in basic human decency?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.1.42  TᵢG  replied to  XDm9mm @9.1.37    4 years ago
YOU HAVE THE CHOICE TO LEAVE OR STAY!!!

Her choice is to stay in an environment that is at least baseline safe.   If someone is maskless and not social distancing her choice is violated.

What is with this seemingly gratuitous nit-picking?   It is not as if Perrie's comments are difficult to understand.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.1.44  TᵢG  replied to    4 years ago

So you operate pretty much the same way we do.  

You avoid people where possible.   That is what Perrie does too.   Now, certainly, if she is operating this way and has an additional concern for her elderly father-in-law and her parents, do you really not understand her concern when shopping for groceries in a store that requests masks and social distancing and yet be in proximity with patrons who violate the request?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.45  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  XDm9mm @9.1.37    4 years ago
YOU HAVE THE CHOICE TO LEAVE OR STAY!!!    Where is anyone forcing you to stay?   

No I don't have that choice since I am the person who does the food shopping. There is no delivery in my area.

When I insult you, you will most certainly know you've been insulted.

Calling me comrade is an insult since I am not a communist and you know I am not.

So it's only important when YOU believe it is.  Got it.

No, I don't go on belief. I go by the CDC guidelines. You can find them online. Btw, I meant to write deflection, but my autocorrect kicked in.

OK, then I guess they are free to drive drunk, too, because they have they are basing their choice onknowledge and experience.   They most certainly are and it's quite obvious from the carnage they create on the road.  Maybe you haven't heard those annual statistics for the last "X" number of decades.  However, they get punished AFTER the fact.

So here you are agreeing with drunk driving laws and calling it carnage. Well in 2018, 10,511 people died in the US from drunk driving. We have over 200,000 dead and counting and you think that this worthy enough to make mask wearing necessary during a pandemic?

Hardly "cherry-picking".  Your own words were a  " At least a mask might have mitigated their spreading of the disease."

I chose those words because nothing is 100%

While I can appreciate YOUR absolute and abject fear of this virus, please don't believe I, or anyone else needs to live OUR lives trying to eliminate your fear. 

Again, I never said the word fear, did I? I don't want to get a nasty disease and then bring it home to my 92 year old FIL. That is called having a conscience and consideration.

As for others, yeah, this mask wearing thing only works if everyone does it. I can not remove myself from every situation, because some asshat is inconsiderate and finds wearing a mask a HUGE inconvenience, spraying their droplets everywhere on everything. How utterly inconsiderate to the people who have to work at these stores for a living and risk putting their families in danger. 

Here is a great video that shows what mask wearing does just by talking:

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
9.1.46  Nerm_L  replied to  TᵢG @9.1.40    4 years ago
Imagine Perrie in a grocery store.   She is standing in line to check out and someone behind her is not wearing a mask and/or is not practicing social distancing.   Her 'choice' is to ask the person to step back and wear a mask or she can leave her groceries at the counter and leave the store.

That is correct.  That's the choice.  It isn't convenient but the choice is entirely hers.

When I am in the checkout line, I stand in front of the cart.  I can maintain distance from the person ahead and the person behind cannot get closer.  That also means I cannot place items on the conveyor until the person ahead has moved on.  That's my choice.  I am responsible for behaving in a way that enhances by safety and the safety of others.  I am not responsible for anyone else feeling inconvenienced; that's their problem.

I use a shopping cart as a barrier.  When some idiot invades my space, I walk around the cart to force distance and have to wait until the idiot moves on.  I could make some rude comment but that would accomplish absolutely nothing.  There isn't anything I can do to change an idiot's behavior.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.47  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to    4 years ago

No you stop:

Read what they carry.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.1.48  TᵢG  replied to  Nerm_L @9.1.46    4 years ago
That is correct.  That's the choice.  It isn't convenient but the choice is entirely hers.

So you choose to not comprehend Perrie's point and instead play juvenile word games.   Pretty much what I figured.

I am not responsible for anyone else feeling inconvenienced; that's their problem.

Strawman

Real simple:   Her choice is to stay in an environment that is at least baseline safe and purchase her groceries.   If someone is maskless and not social distancing her choice is violated.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.49  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to    4 years ago
If you ment ticket or fine why did you say charge you get charged when you get a arrested this might help.

I never said charged. XDm did. And I know the difference between getting a ticket and being charged and arrested.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.50  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  XDm9mm @9.1.41    4 years ago

There is NO delivery service where I live. I don't need you to explain what I already know. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.51  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  TᵢG @9.1.40    4 years ago
How about people just wear masks and social distance and thus engage in basic human decency?

Which is an excellent question.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.1.54  TᵢG  replied to    4 years ago
I also don't have the need to correct people's behavior 

I do not either, I just avoid them when possible.    I suspect that is what most people do.

I will reiterate if I had concerns for a love one or felt that the risk was so high I wouldn't go anywhere I would find a way to not be around anyone. 

I will then reiterate that there are times when it is necessary to be around others.    You go to the store, you go to work.  If you were sick or hurt, you would go to get medical attention.    If you need new driver's tags or license you would get them.   You buy fuel for your vehicles, parts for your equipment, supplies for your home.   You run to Home Depot, etc. to get tools, materials, paint, etc.   You are an adult living life in the USA, I need not remind you of these things.

Given I wrote that we minimize our encounters with people, there was no point that I can see for you to reiterate as you did.   We were already in agreement on that point.  And, notably, so is Perrie as illustrated by her collective comments.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.1.55  TᵢG  replied to    4 years ago
I understand wearing a mask is 30 to 40% effective so I social distance. 

Why not do both?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.1.57  TᵢG  replied to    4 years ago

Okay, just reacting to what you wrote; I understand your clarification.   And I know you do not feel the need to tell others what to do.   As noted, I think most of us avoid such encounters in public largely because we know it is likely futile to ask someone to be more considerate of others when clearly, by their actions, they do not care.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
9.1.58  Nerm_L  replied to  TᵢG @9.1.48    4 years ago
So you choose to not comprehend Perrie's point and instead play juvenile word games.   Pretty much what I figured.

Doesn't the argument Perrie makes require forcing people to wear masks for her protection?  I have asked Perrie how far we would be willing to go to enforce mask wearing.

Why are you deliberately choosing to avoid the obvious questions?  If we want to make people wear masks then how do we do that?  Fine them into bankruptcy?  Imprison them?  Beat them senseless?  Dox them?  Public shaming?  What is the kinder, gentler way to make people do what we want people to do?

And what do we do about people who do not wear masks properly?  What do we do about people who have bought some cheap, worthless mask dumped on the market to make exorbitant profits?  What do we do about people who wear masks but don't social distance?  What do we do about people who know they are sick and go out in public anyway?

Perrie is arguing that she doesn't have a choice.  And the remedy being proffered is to ensure no one has a choice.  How do we accomplish that?  How far are we willing to go to take away everyone's choice?

I understand the point Perrie is making.  I disagree.  And I am not resorting to disparaging Perrie or accusing her of strawman arguments to belittle her point of view.

Ender
Professor Principal
9.1.59  Ender  replied to  Nerm_L @9.1.58    4 years ago

Maybe start at the top? Maybe tell people it is dangerous instead of calling it nothing?

Maybe lead by example? Maybe tell people they should do it not only for their safety but for the safety of others?

Oh yeah, it is better to cause division and throw a rally.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.60  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Nerm_L @9.1.58    4 years ago
Doesn't the argument Perrie makes require forcing people to wear masks for her protection?  I have asked Perrie how far we would be willing to go to enforce mask wearing.

Yes it does. As to how far, asked and answered many times here. 

If we want to make people wear masks then how do we do that?  Fine them into bankruptcy?  Imprison them?  Beat them senseless?  Dox them?  Public shaming?  What is the kinder, gentler way to make people do what we want people to do?

Again, asked and answered already. Please take the time to read the whole thread.

And what do we do about people who do not wear masks properly? 

Well, that explains why birth control fails so often. The answer is nothing. They are trying.

What do we do about people who have bought some cheap, worthless mask dumped on the market to make exorbitant profits? 

It's not that hard to make a mask for a dime-store bandana. 

What do we do about people who wear masks but don't social distance? 

I have asked people to back up while on line and I haven't had anyone say no when I ask nicely.

What do we do about people who know they are sick and go out in public anyway?

Hence why masks are so important. Do I need to post that video again?

Perrie is arguing that she doesn't have a choice.

No, what Perrie is saying is that she is going by the science and the CDC guidelines. We are in a national crisis, Nerm. Over 200,000 dead and climbing daily. The only way to ensure that we can keep things open is by following the CDC guidelines. 

I understand the point Perrie is making.  I disagree.

No I actually don't think you understand otherwise you would not be asking me the same thing over and over. As for disagreeing about what to do in a national disaster, here are your choices. You can become part of the solution or part of the problem. But since we live in a society, there is a social contract, like many other that we have.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.1.61  TᵢG  replied to  Nerm_L @9.1.58    4 years ago
Doesn't the argument Perrie makes require forcing people to wear masks for her protection? 

What is the point of spinning what people say?   You make it sound as though Perrie is being narcissistic.   What is served by being so obnoxious?

If we want to make people wear masks then how do we do that?  Fine them into bankruptcy?  Imprison them?  Beat them senseless?  Dox them?  Public shaming?  What is the kinder, gentler way to make people do what we want people to do?

This should be obvious.   Given we continue to be dealing with a pandemic:

• Everyone should be considerate enough to wear a mask and social distance when in buildings such as a grocery store.
  • Stores should (and typically do) have a policy of masks, social distancing and cleanliness (this last item is mostly a task of the store itself).
  • Government should encourage and enable stores to have and enforce the policy.
  • Enforcement is basically denying access to those who will not comply.  It is not jail time, death penalty, etc.   Just the equivalent of no shoes, no service.

On top of that, I am greatly in favor of government proactively working to keep the people informed of the dangers and the basic ways to mitigate same.   And that includes providing a good example.   Certainly that implies that government officials should never downplay the danger (or exaggerate it).

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
9.1.62  Nerm_L  replied to  Ender @9.1.59    4 years ago
Maybe start at the top? Maybe tell people it is dangerous instead of calling it nothing?
Maybe lead by example? Maybe tell people they should do it not only for their safety but for the safety of others?

Would it really make a difference if Trump wore a mask onto the stage and then removed the mask to speak?  That's the example set by reporters, politicians, and health administrators giving testimony in crowded hearing rooms.  I speculate that those who remove their masks to speak would point out they are social distancing.  Trump does practice social distancing but that doesn't seem to receive any attention.

Everyone is placing a great deal of emphasis on wearing a mask while ignoring the importance of social distancing.  Which is more important, wearing a mask or social distancing?  What does the example set by public figures suggest?

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
9.1.63  Nerm_L  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1.60    4 years ago
Yes it does. As to how far, asked and answered many times here. 

The answer you provided is to depend upon voluntary compliance with your wishes.  You ask and expect the other person to comply.

But people not wearing masks have already been asked and have refused to comply.  The answer you provided does not address the reality of people refusing to comply.  Hence my questions.  And, no, you have not answered those questions.

No, what Perrie is saying is that she is going by the science and the CDC guidelines. We are in a national crisis, Nerm. Over 200,000 dead and climbing daily. The only way to ensure that we can keep things open is by following the CDC guidelines. 

The CDC guidelines are to wear a mask, to social distance, to use antiseptics and disinfectants, to ventilate enclosed spaces, and to avoid crowds.  The CDC guidelines do not differentiate between essential and non-essential activities in public spaces.  The CDC guidelines recommend to avoid shopping in poorly ventilated, crowded grocery stores, too.  

The CDC guidelines depend upon voluntary compliance.  People have made a choice to not comply with the CDC guidelines.  Isn't that what you are talking about?  My question to you is what do we do for people who have chosen not to comply?

Early on I received a postcard distributed by the CDC that says ' President Trump's Coronavirus Guidelines for America '.   I still have the postcard and, if desired, I can scan it and post it here.  The postcard I received has a little more info than the web page.  The President has requested my compliance with the CDC guidelines.  I assumed the postcard was sent to every household but I have no way to know if that is true.  

Everyone in the United States has already been asked nicely to follow the CDC guidelines.  So, how do we address the problem of those who have chosen voluntary non-compliance?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.64  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Nerm_L @9.1.63    4 years ago
The answer you provided is to depend upon voluntary compliance with your wishes.  You ask and expect the other person to comply.

Yes, I do ask and have been asked when I am absent-minded and everyone complies out of necessity. 

But people not wearing masks have already been asked and have refused to comply.  The answer you provided does not address the reality of people refusing to comply.  Hence my questions.  And, no, you have not answered those questions.

I have answered that. In NY it is mandatory to wear a mask. Those that don't comply are refused service and have been ticketed. Shops not complying can be reported although I have not. And yes I have answered these questions Nerm.

As for the CDC guidelines, in NY they are mandatory. 

I never received  a postcard distributed by the CDC that says '   President Trump's Coronavirus Guidelines for America  '

Everyone in the United States has already been asked nicely to follow the CDC guidelines.  So, how do we address the problem of those who have chosen voluntary non-compliance?

And that is the point of this article. The goveners are supposed to make the state guidelines based on cases/ deaths etc. Almost every gov has adjusted their guidelines according to this. The only one who does not, is DeSantis. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
9.1.67  XXJefferson51  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1.12    4 years ago

Be a Karen?  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
9.1.68  XXJefferson51  replied to  XDm9mm @9.1.15    4 years ago

Very good points well made.  Each and every single one of them. jrSmiley_28_smiley_image.gifjrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
9.1.69  XXJefferson51  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1.19    4 years ago

I don’t shop in stores that compel mask wearing as part of their policy.  Sprouts, Costco.  I voluntarily wear one in a store if or when I can’t socially distance within it.  I do wear one at work and at church indoors where we can at 25% capacity in my part of California meet indoors.  If I go inside a convenience mart where it’s me and the cashier behind the shield I never wear it.  I keep me and others in proximity to me safe but otherwise make a point of being seen in public settings with social distancing and hand washing without a mask.  So far no Karen has invaded my personal space to demand I put it on as its often visible in my hand in case I need to put it on for lack of distancing.  

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
9.1.70  Nerm_L  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1.64    4 years ago
I have answered that. In NY it is mandatory to wear a mask. Those that don't comply are refused service and have been ticketed. Shops not complying can be reported although I have not. And yes I have answered these questions Nerm. As for the CDC guidelines, in NY they are mandatory. 

That's not the answer that has been provided on this thread.  So, you are advocating involuntary compliance with the CDC guidelines.  And increasing noncompliance requires more forceful enforcement of mandated compliance with CDC guidelines.

New York did not establish new guidelines.  New York adopted the CDC guidelines as a regulation requiring enforcement.  That was a choice made by New York.  The issue isn't the CDC guidelines; the real issue is being able to call the law on those who do not follow the guidelines.

And that is the point of this article. The governors are supposed to make the state guidelines based on cases/ deaths etc. Almost every gov has adjusted their guidelines according to this. The only one who does not, is DeSantis. 

But that is not what you are advocating.  The governors are not making state guidelines; the CDC has already issued guidelines.  The governors are establishing an enforcement mechanism to punish those who do not voluntarily comply with the CDC guidelines.

Gov. DeSantis did not remove or invalidate the CDC guidelines.  Gov. DeSantis removed the enforcement mechanism.  The Florida regulations became guidelines.  The mandates have not been successful in forcing compliance with CDC guidelines.  The choice is whether or not to use more harsh means of enforcement.  That leads back to my question of how far are we willing to go to force compliance with guidelines.

Our conversation has gone around the circle and we are back at the beginning.   The government can't do the thinking for people.

See the problem with indoctrinating a population to simply do as they are told?  See the problem with the idea that if something is legal it can't be wrong?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.1.71  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @9.1.69    4 years ago
I don’t shop in stores that compel mask wearing as part of their policy.

Why not?   Do you think they are imposing masks as a show of power rather than trying to help protect their patrons?

I appreciate stores who are doing their part to protect their customers.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
9.1.73  XXJefferson51  replied to    4 years ago

That is the entire bottom line here.  Well stated.  Some feel a desperate need to be in control not only of their own actions but of those around who would presume to dare to disagree.  

JBB
Professor Principal
9.1.74  JBB  replied to  XXJefferson51 @9.1.73    4 years ago

Aren't you afraid God will smite you for lying?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.1.75  TᵢG  replied to    4 years ago
but have to make people wear them inside or risk being shut down

Why is this a problem?   Don't you like the idea that this policy lessens the chance that you, your employees, your customers will be infected inside your property?   Especially since you can blame authorities for the inconvenience for those select customers who do not comprehend the value of the restrictions.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.1.76  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @9.1.73    4 years ago
Some feel a desperate need to be in control not only of their own actions but of those around who would presume to dare to disagree.  

Amazing that you do not comprehend the need for these precautions and inexplicably jump to a ridiculous conspiracy theory.

Ender
Professor Principal
9.1.77  Ender  replied to  Nerm_L @9.1.62    4 years ago

Do you honestly think the leader of the country could not make a difference with what he says or doesn't say?

I have actually heard people say that donald said it is nothing and they will not wear a mask.

There was one person I laughed about on twitter saying she refused to wear a mask, then the first time donald wore one she showed herself wearing a mask.

Trump does practice social distancing but that doesn't seem to receive any attention

Maybe because he keeps the peons at a distance yet could care less when they are all crowded together for him.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.1.78  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Nerm_L @9.1.2    4 years ago

Pardon my butting in here, but what's irresponsible about people licking ice cream?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.1.80  Tessylo  replied to  Ender @9.1.77    4 years ago

"Maybe because he keeps the peons at a distance yet could care less when they are all crowded together for him."

Yup, he said so - at his superspreader 'rallies' that he wasn't concerned about himself because the suckers and losers were so far away from him.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.1.81  Buzz of the Orient  replied to    4 years ago

Do you mean they would open an ice cream package, lick the ice cream, then close the package and put it back in the fridge?  Wow, that's incredible.  But maybe not.  My son once had a girl friend who, when with him, bought some cookies at a bakery, and while walking away took a bite out of one of them, didn't like it and put it back in the bag and took it back to the store telling them she changed her mind in order to get her money back. My son was horrified, and that experience ended their relationship. 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
9.1.82  FLYNAVY1  replied to  XXJefferson51 @9.1.1    4 years ago

What fucking drivel C4P...... 

How about patriotism for a change?  Doing something that helps America and her people....  Wear a damn mask for your fellow American because they just might have put their asses on the line for you!

Kavika
Professor Principal
10  Kavika     4 years ago

Here is another of mini me's dictates and many school districts have told him to ''shove it''.

Florida schools defy DeSantis order to keep virus stats under wraps

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
10.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika @10    4 years ago

Read my mind on that one.

Kavika
Professor Principal
10.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @10.1    4 years ago

Here is more. Since Trump and mini me don't seem to be concerned with seniors and say kids get it and it's not a problem. Here are the stats for Marion County FL.only.

Pediatric cases 701, with 33 this week. 48 taken to ER and 8 hospitalized. That is just one county with a population of 365,000.

This is Miami, Dade county.

Pediatric Cases: 12,275
    New cases this week: 320
    Admitted to ER: 1,060
    Hospitalized: 160
    Deaths: 2

This is Duval county (Jacksonville)

Pediatric Cases: 2,428
    New cases this week: 86
    Admitted to ER: 113
    Hospitalized: 21
    Deaths: 0

This is Orange County, (Orlando)

Pediatric Cases: 2,775
    New cases this week: 105
    Admitted to ER: 142
    Hospitalized: 23
    Deaths: 0

The U.S. had 55,054 new COVID cases yesterday and 952 deaths. 

We are doing really well. /s

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
10.1.3  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to    4 years ago

Well, that makes all those who died, and their families feel so much better. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
10.1.5  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to    4 years ago

No, what you are doing is deflecting from the fact, that over 200,000 people are dead. That's really bad and you want to talk about those who recovered. So I guess the 200.000 dead is not enough for you? Don't worry. More are on the way.

Btw, a disease is not political.

Kavika
Professor Principal
10.1.6  Kavika   replied to    4 years ago

Reading is essential. It shows how many died so that means that to date a number have survived. What it doesn't show at this point is who they spread it to and any long term effects they will have.

BTW, that are the stats from four counties in Florida. There are 63 more counties in Florida.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
10.1.9  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to    4 years ago

Unnecessary death is to be avoided, no? Heck if not, let's not put fences around pools, no drunk driving laws, get rid of seat belts, let people talk on the phones while driving, etc.

IF you repeat democrat talking points I will point it out every time.

Again, a disease is not political. Please prove otherwise. If not, stop with the strawman.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
10.1.10  XXJefferson51  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @10.1.9    4 years ago

Thanks for confirming that blaming Trump for corona virus deaths is a political straw man.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.1.11  Tessylo  replied to  XXJefferson51 @10.1.10    4 years ago

trumpturd is responsible for over 200,000 deaths here in the US due to Co-Vid 19.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
10.1.12  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tessylo @10.1.11    4 years ago

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFqGv0qAwaa/?igshid=rkp821g55253