Twelve - Who Knows Twelve?

By:  enoch  •  5 months ago  •  36 comments

Twelve - Who Knows Twelve?

This discussion is about how a heritage, culture, ideology or tradition can bring comfort, meaning, and solace spanning generations.

At the conclusion of the Passover Seder ritual meal some songs (Hymns) are sung by all attendees.

One is Echad, U'Mee Yodayah? (One - Who Knows One?).

Recently I was requested to provide end of life Pastoral Care to a woman who is coming to the end of this life due to complications of an incurable degenerative disease.

She knows me as I was the Chaplain who was with her late father three decades ago prior and at the time of his transition out of this life.

When she and/or her uncle, his brother came to visit him, I was there (24/7).

Her uncle suggested she request me to be there for her.

He also recommended that she inquire about the meaning of "Twelve".

Towards the end of his days. we would review and relate the best of times in his life.

Times of joy, pride and fulfillment. 

One of his best memories was the singing of songs (Hymns) at the conclusion off the Passover Seder.

Up to a certain age, his daughter (the apple off his eye) would be perched, or climb up on his lap as they and all others at the holiday table would sing tradition Hymns.

Her favorite was "One - Who Knows One"?

The last of the verses is, Twelve - Who Knows Twelve?

Twelve refers to the Twelve Tribes of Israel.

How he delighted in singing that Hymn with me while still he could.

How close he and his beloved daughter, the one now exiting this plane of existence were when they sang that. It was her favorite melody and lyrics.

Yes, she asked. But why did her uncle have her ask, One rather than Twelve?

One is in the song title.

The connection is this.

Her late father, and her uncle as she is a member of the Levy (Levite) tribe.

As am I.

He felt a closer connection to me the first time we met based on that chance similarity.

As did her Uncle.

She smiled.

I never knew that, she related.

Can we sing that Hymn now?

Of course, I replied.

We sang it.

Each time I visited her we sang it.  

As her late and dear Father and I did years ago.

It made her feel closer to her Father.

It brought back treasured memories of her childhood. 

At the end, we held hands. 

She said in a barely audible phrase, "Twelve, Who Knows Twelve?"

Then she transited from this life.

At peace, and smiling.

Do you have an example of how an ideology, culture, heritage, tradition or some other entity united generations and brought peace, and comfort?

If so, please feel free and encouraged to share it with us.

At times of crisis, it is good for us as a community to bond in support of how things can bring needed relief when such things are in short supply.

The site CoC, TOS and most of all The Four B's will be enforced here.

Derailing, Snarking, Trolling, Disrespecting, Going Negative will not do.

Be On-Point.

Be Positive.

Be Respectful.

Or Be Gone!

That said, we look forward to an inspiring, uplifting, and helpful contribution by you. 

Peace, and Abundant Blessings Always.

Enoch.       

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
Enoch
1  author  Enoch    5 months ago

Do you have an example of how aspect(s) of an ideology, heritage, culture or some other collective vehicle brought peace, comfort, solace, and generation spanning bonding to one or more who needed it? 

Within the guidelines of site Coc, TOS, and the Four B's please share it. 

Be On-Point.

Be Respectful.

Be Positive.

or Be Gone!     

With that in mind, please grace us as an on-line community of diverse views and ideas with one or more examples of how something of value from generation to generation brought closer those still here, or those here and walked on.

We are, as a community to be here for one another.

Let's use this discussion thread as a venue to do just that.

As our good friend Al-316 and I once co-authored, "We are All In This Life Together".

Peace and Abundant Blessings Always.

Enoch.

Split Personality
2  Split Personality    5 months ago

We are All In This Life Together".

Mitakuye oyasin [Lakota]

Nogomaq [Algonquian]

Gakina-awiiya [Anishinaabe]

Ea Nigada Qusdi Idadadvhn [Cherokee]

All these terms mean, “we are all related to, and respect, everything in life.” http://sumo.ly/wcJa

As a possible stretch - The Iroquois nation practiced the 7th generation principle as well as democratic principles.

The “7th generation” principle taught by Native Americans says that in every decision,

be it personal, governmental or corporate, we must consider how it will affect our descendants seven generations into the future http://sumo.ly/wcJa

Enoch
2.1  author  Enoch  replied to  Split Personality @2    5 months ago

Dear Friend Split Personality: This is an outstanding example of how a series of traditions find a way to convey and factor in the sagacity of their ways to communicate and pass on from generation to generation.

We are indeed grateful to you for this most excellent contribution.

Enoch.

Enoch
2.2  author  Enoch  replied to  Split Personality @2    5 months ago

Dear Freind SP: Reminds me of one more thing.

There is a Hymn, El Ma' Aleh Rachamim, (G-d filled with Mercy).

There is an expression, Notzer Chesid Le Alephim. (Mercy unto the thousandth generation)

It is a well wish Le Dor Le Dor. (From generation to generation).

Thanks for prompting my aged memory.

Smiles.

Enoch.

Raven Wing
3  Raven Wing    5 months ago

A wonderful and enlightening article Dear Friend and Mentor Enoch. The kindness and peace you offer those at a time they need it most, as they leave this world and move on to the next steps of their own eternal journey, speaks volumes of you and your true heart. They are truly Blessed to have you by their side to see them off from this life to their next life.  

I practice the ancient religion of my Cherokee ancestors, and the only place of worship I need is in my own heart and thoughts. I do not need a building to go to in order for me to pray or worship the Creator, or hear His words. He is everywhere I go. His Temple is my heart.

The Creator knows me, and I know Him, and that is all that matters. He knows my faults, as He did not make us perfect. But, he also know my good works. 

We are all connected as the human species, and to all living things here on earth. We are One. 

Enoch
3.1  author  Enoch  replied to  Raven Wing @3    5 months ago

Dear Friend, Sister in Spirit and and Treasured Writing Partner Raven Wing: I am pleased the article spoke to you.

All of what we can encounter in this life is an altar.

The heart, mind, soul and spirit know no limits or boundaries.

I totally agree.

The Creator knows, and is most pleased by all yoiu have are and will do in this life.

Your heart is pure.

Your nature to nurture.

These qualities are enduring of value.

Good on you dear friend.

Good on you.

Enoch.

Raven Wing
3.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Enoch @3.1    5 months ago

Thank you Dear Friend in Spirit and Mentor. The article spoke to me very well. As always, we are very Blessed to have you here with us on NT, to share with us your words of wisdom and many experiences. Thank you from the heart, for all the goodness and Blessings you share with others. 

Enoch
3.1.2  author  Enoch  replied to  Raven Wing @3.1.1    5 months ago

Smiles, just huge smiles.

E.

Galen Marvin Ross
6  Galen Marvin Ross    5 months ago

I have always said that I want an Irish wake when I die, I find that it is the best way for people to remember the loved one.

The wake was traditionally held at the home of the deceased or a close relative, which was referred to as the wake house. The body was typically placed in a coffin in the living room or parlor of the house and then covered in white linen embellished with white or black ribbons. Lighted candles were placed around it. Plenty of food and drink was consumed as people socialized while remembering the departed person's life.

I also would like to go to the grave site like this,

Because, I don't want people sad when I go, after all, my pain is over.

Enoch
6.1  author  Enoch  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @6    5 months ago

Dear Friend Galen Marvin Ross: Two great examples.

Super work!

As an undergraduate I went in a caravan of cars from Lexington, KY to New Orleans, LA for Mardi Gras.

An unexpected experience was witnessing a Jazz Funeral Procession.

Two of the people in the crowd saw our ages.

We were all invited to one home or another after the procession.

It was a combination of helping them celebrate a life well lived, and warm home hospitality for scrounging students sleeping in cars, in need of a hot meal.

Important life lesson for us all.

Each of us were inspired to "pay it forward".

Thank you for an excellent contribution. 

We are indebted.

Enoch.

Galen Marvin Ross
6.1.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Enoch @6.1    5 months ago

winking

sandy-2021492
6.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @6    5 months ago
I have always said that I want an Irish wake when I die, I find that it is the best way for people to remember the loved one.

My family doesn't drink when they get together, but we generally do something like this after a death.  We all try to get together either the night before or the evening after the funeral, and break bread together.  We might start out in tears, but we always try to get to the point where we're laughing by the time we leave, usually over some fond memory of the deceased - some funny anecdote or personality trait.  It always feels healing to me.

Enoch
6.2.1  author  Enoch  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.2    5 months ago

Dear Friend Sandy: This is a wonderful tradition.

A life well lived deserves to be celebrated.

"Death is when the pain stops. And the good memories begin". 

Thanks for this outstanding contribution.

Peace and Abundant Blessings to You and Yours. Even unto the Thousandth Generation.

Enoch.

Galen Marvin Ross
7  Galen Marvin Ross    5 months ago

We are the most unique people in the world as Americans, we have traditions from all over the world that we can put into our lives, we are not limited to one society's traditions, rituals or, ways, we have a "buffet" of ideas we can use in our lives, if we are willing to do so.

Enoch
7.1  author  Enoch  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @7    5 months ago

Dear Friend Galen Marvin Ross: Another example of "hitting it out of the park".

Sterling argument for the value of diversity.

You are on fire tonight.

Keep it burning brightly, my good friend.

Enoch.

Galen Marvin Ross
7.1.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Enoch @7.1    5 months ago

Dear Friend Enoch; Thank you for that. I have my moments, sometimes.

Enoch
7.1.2  author  Enoch  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @7.1.1    5 months ago

Dear Friend Marvin Galen Ross: 

You do indeed.

We all celebrate and revel in them.

Thanks.

Enoch.

Kavika
8  Kavika     5 months ago

SP's comment is right on the money. 

In addition to this ''Smudging is very important in our culture''

This is a link to what/when/why of smudging...

http://ojibweresources.weebly.com/ojibwe-medicines.html

Ojibwe Medicine - Mshkiki

There are four sacred medicines traditionally used among the Ojibwe People: Tobacco, Sage, Sweet Grass and Cedar.  Tobacco is the first and most fundamental medicine.  It is used to communicate with the spirit world through offering.  The other three medicines have many different uses. The teachings for each medicine go hand in hand with the Medicine Wheel Teachings

Tobacco - Semaa:

Sacred tobacco was the first of the four medicines to be gifted to the Anishnaabe people by the creator.  Tobacco is meant for the use of prayer and offering.
Prayer:
When praying to the creator, s/he can hear you when tobacco is held in the left hand because that is the hand that sits closest to the heart.  Holding the tobacco close to the heart helps us to speak and think kind thoughts during our prayer.  We then pass the tobacco to our right hand and release it under a tree, into a sacred fire or into water.
Picture
Offering:In any time that something is taken from the land, a spirit is being removed from its natural state and environment. This could be the smallest rock to the biggest animal.  Because the spirit is being displaced, the Ojibwe people will offer tobacco to that spirit as a gift for the energy that that spirit will now share with them.  The spirit will accept the gift and use it to communicate with the spirits around to relay the purpose and need of that spirit to the Ojibwe people.
Requests:In a time of need for wisdom or guidance from an Elder or spiritual leader, it is mandatory to offer tobacco to them first.  If they accept the tobacco, s/he is then bound to honor that request.
Ceremony:Tobacco is also often used in ceremony in conjunction with the other three medicines.  During ceremony is the only time tobacco may be smoked.  This is only done with a piece pipe that is carried by a pipe carrier.

Sweet Grass - Wiingash:

Sweet grass is a gift from Mother Earth.  It is said to be part of her hair and the use of sweet grass promotes strength and kindness.  When braiding sweet grass each strand of the braid represents mind, body and spirit.  It is also important to remember the teaching of the sweet grass braid and walk that way when wearing a braid in our own hair.
Picture
Smudging:The aroma of burning sweet grass has a calming effect and thus promotes kind thoughts.  When smudging with sweet grass it is important to honor the hair of mother earth by smudging our own hair with the smoke.  Prayer and Ceremony:Since sweet grass promotes strength and kindness it is often used in healing circles and during ceremony to allow postive energy, kind thoughts and kind feelings to surface through any pain and suffering.

Sage - Mashkodewashk:

Sage is the most powerful medicine used in ceremonies due to it's strong aroma and many different healing purposes.  
Picture
Smudging:The use of sage during smudging is the cleansing or purification of negative energy and troubling feelings.  Ceremonial bundles or objects, places and the body are often smudged by sage.  Smudging the body consists of cleansing the five sensory organs, the head, the feet and the back.
  • Hands: To cleanse what we touch and to touch all things in a gentle and kind way.
  • Eyes:  To cleanse our sight so we see all things that are good and to look at others in a kind way.
  • Nose:  To cleanse or sense of smell so we know the things around us through smell.
  • Ears: To cleanse our ears so we can hear all things in good way and find the goodness through anything negative. 
  • Mouth:  To cleanse or words so that we may speak in a kind and non-judgmental way.
  • Head:  To cleanse our mind so we may think clearly and in a kind and gentle way.
  • Feet:  To cleanse our steps so that we may step lightly and kindly on our mother, the earth.
  • Back:  To cleanse our troubles and lift the weight away.
Picture
Ceremony:
Sage is the most common form of medicine used during ceremonies as it is considered to be the most powerful cleanser.
Healing:Sage is used for many different healing purposes.  Sage can lift headaches and diminish the effects of allergies.  Sage can be mixed with other medicines in teas to help with indigestion, menstrual cycle ailments or sore throats.  Sage has also been proven to boost the immune system and is an active ingredient for relieving skin conditions such as eczema.

Cedar - Kiizhik:

Cedar is used for purification and bringing balance into yourself.  It is also known for attracting positive feelings, energy, and emotions.  Cedar is often hung around the home and laid out on the floor of ceremonial lodges to offer protection from bad or harmful energy.
Picture
Smudging and Ceremony:When cedar is offered with tobacco into a fire it makes a crackling sound which is believed to call the attention of the spirits.  the spirits will give a stronger passage for the message to be carried through into the spirit world.  Cedar can be used in conjunction with smudging because of the properties of purification and balance it brings with its use.
Healing:Cedar is used medicinally either as a tea or within a bath as an internal cleanser.  Cedar is known to assist in the healing of infection and the high vitamin-C content protects against scurvy and also boosts the immune system. 

Each medicine is a gift from one of the four directions.  Depending on the community the medicines may differentiate from the direction and teaching that represents it.  The reason for this is that each of the medicines traditionally traveled its own path to each community.  Both spiritually and physically, medicine would have entered each community through different methods.  For example; Sweet Grass could have been carried from the great lakes to a northern community through trade, or sage could have begun to grow to the south of one community and west from another.  When addressing the directional representation of each medicine, we must consider the geography, agriculture and traditions of the local communities.

Enoch
8.1  author  Enoch  replied to  Kavika @8    5 months ago

Dear Brother, Friend and Treasured Writing Partner Kavika: Rx for wisdom.

Learn Native American Ways.

Use as directed.

Medicinally Yours,

Enoch M.D. (More Foods from Jays Diner).

Raven Wing
8.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @8    5 months ago

There are many Dr's who are now considering using many of the old Native American medicine ways of treating various illnesses. They have discovered that many of the herbs and treatments used my the Native American Shamans and Medicine Men are also very effective without the encumbrances of modern medicine. Many of the maladies that Drs have to deal with today existed long ago, and were treated effectively by Native American medicinal methods. 

Which goes to prove the saying, that for every disease, there is a cure, and Mother Earth is the best drugstore. (smile)

Enoch
8.2.1  author  Enoch  replied to  Raven Wing @8.2    5 months ago

Dear Sister Raven Wing: Well said.

Now all we need is for Big Pharma to get out of the way of progress by applying past wisdom to present problems.

No small feat that.

Enoch.

Raven Wing
8.2.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Enoch @8.2.1    5 months ago
Now all we need is for Big Pharma to get out of the way of progress

Indeed! From your words to God's ears, as they say. As long as they have a choke hold on the prescription drug market, they will not concede to the simple, and likely far less expensive, simple medicinal cures of the Native people. They are too busy making billions at the expense of those who can least afford it. Hopefully, one day, there will be a real awakening of the people who will no longer tolerate the pharma Bros from ruling our medical field. 

Enoch
8.2.3  author  Enoch  replied to  Raven Wing @8.2.2    5 months ago

Dear Sister Raven Wing: We are peas in the same pod.

Business model of Big Pharma is to hook us on things which help us live with disease, and have side effects.

Then sell us other things for the side effects.

Indigenous medicine seeks first to increase wellness.

Where there is illness, to cure it.

It is a more natural and effective approach.

That is why, short of universal coverage, single payer Big Phama will never go for it. 

They are an industry.

Native American medicine is a healing art.

Its the money that is clogging up the works in western medicine.

Time for Americans to self-advocate.

Past time, really.

Great post.

Thanks.

Enoch.

LynneA
9  LynneA    5 months ago

Decisions made after my daughter's death were a combination of tradition and my rebellion of same.  The expected wake...her friends and parents, teachers, our friends, co-workers, family from across the country.  My mind drifting among the condolences wondering who'd remember in a week, month or year from now.  Numb, yet on task was I.  Funeral - church standing room only, pastor droning on about the better place, casket blurred in my vision, tea cakes and cookies in the fellowship hall.  

Breaking from my family and Christian traditions,  forbid the attendance of our granddaughter at wake, no procession past our house, no internment, no invite to join family in a meal.  Our nineteen year old baby, whose organs were donated, was going to crematory. Decisions my husband and I made were the whispers during tea cakes and cookies.  Didn't give a damn at the time, on reflection it angers me the freedom with which disapproval occurred.

Choosing a plot to bury her ashes and headstone were secondary to trying to live.  Grief would wait,  life swirled with pressing decisions.  Vacating her college apartment,  legal issues surrounding the car accident, estate and most importantly care of her two year daughter.  

Ultimately we raised this precious child; ashes and headstone were placed with no fanfare as we planted the first annual flower at the site.  Our new tradition, spring planting of an annual representing each year we've been given renewal while remembering the years no longer shared on this earth.  Granddaughter is now twenty-three, how blessed I am and cherish our tradition.  Over Mother's Day we planted, cried and promised to live to our fullest potential.

Breaking with tradition and norms will have tongues wagging...life choices are ours to make.  We made those that we've been able to abide, no regrets.

Enoch
9.1  author  Enoch  replied to  LynneA @9    5 months ago

Dear Friend LynneA: No daylight between us.

We each handle grief in our own ways.

What makes us all different makes us all unique.

I support you and yours in doing what you needed to do to get though a very rough patch.

You both raised your granddaughter well.

She and you both are all lucky to have one another.  

Life will always find a way.

Good on you all.

As ever, I am available to you and yours when and as needed.

Peace, Comfort and Abundant blessings Now and Forthcoming.

Enoch.

LynneA
9.1.1  LynneA  replied to  Enoch @9.1    5 months ago

Concur, no daylight berween us my friend and brother, only light to warm and shine upon our life's path.  

You bless me with insight and genuine humanity.

Your continued support and encouragement brings joy to many, I among them 🤗

321steve
9.2  321steve  replied to  LynneA @9    5 months ago

Sorry for your loss. Your correct, screw them that didn't agree with you. You did what you thought was best. Good for you. 

Enoch
9.2.1  author  Enoch  replied to  321steve @9.2    5 months ago

Dear Friend 321Steve:  Welcome to our discussion threads.

We are honored to have you.

We look forward to your keen observations and support for other community members. 

Peace and Abundant Blessings.

Enoch.  

321steve
9.2.2  321steve  replied to  Enoch @9.2.1    5 months ago

Thank you Enoch 

lennylynx
9.2.3  lennylynx  replied to  321steve @9.2.2    5 months ago

You've just been blessed Steve!

LynneA
9.2.4  LynneA  replied to  321steve @9.2    5 months ago

Thank you for kind words and response 321steve.

sandy-2021492
9.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  LynneA @9    5 months ago

I'm so sorry for the loss of your daughter.  I'm glad you did what you felt was needed to get you through the loss.  Yours was the greatest burden, and the decision as to how to carry that burden was yours, too.  Whatever made the load lighter was good and right.

LynneA
9.3.1  LynneA  replied to  sandy-2021492 @9.3    5 months ago

Thank you sandy with lots of #####'s 😃

Ever the people pleaser and peacemaker, not allowing tradition or influence was monumental during this horrific period.  Although many wanted to ease my pain by offering to help, my mother understood every decision would be the last I'd ever make for my only child.  Fortunate to have a fabulous stepdaughter and granddaughter...they are our world!

Enoch
10  author  Enoch    5 months ago

I wish to thank our good friends 321 Steve and Sandy 2021492 for their sensitivity, caring and support of our good friend LynneA.

It is acts of loving kindness (Chesed, Agape, etc.) which represents the best of the community of the News Talkers.

Good on you, drear friends.

Enoch.    

sandy-2021492
10.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Enoch @10    5 months ago

Following your excellent example, Enoch.

Enoch
10.1.1  author  Enoch  replied to  sandy-2021492 @10.1    5 months ago

Dear Friend Sandy: Its steady work.

Winks.

Enoch.