All The Rightwing's Anti-Semitic Lies About George Soros Summarized

Via:  atheist  •  one week ago  •  6 comments

All The Rightwing's Anti-Semitic Lies About George Soros Summarized
As a prominent political activist and supporter of left-wing causes, Hungarian-born billionaire financier George Soros has frequently been the target of smear campaigns, and none more odious than the persistent — and false — claim that Soros, a Jew, was a Nazi sympathizer, collaborator, and/or paramilitary officer during World War II.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

George Soros is a favorite target for vicious anti-semites  all over the world including even our own very small part of it here on the NewsTalkers.  I ran across this Snopes review of all the familiar lies and one that I'd never heard before, perhaps because it's one of the most preposterous and easily debunked--that he was actually a member of the SS.  

I provide the URL for my source so that facts used for the debunkings can be see in detail. 

The biggest surprise of this discovery though was that the rest of the Soros family escaped and his father wrote a book about the decisions he made that made that possible. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
Find text within the comments Find 

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
1  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    one week ago

The Snopes article takes into account the infamous 60 Minutes interview which is one of the favorite sources the antisemites use to cherry-pick for what they think are "gotchas."  But the research done into what really happened clearly shows that interview as being very much blown out of all proportion to the facts. 

Here are a few essential facts:

Yet the simple truth is that George Soros neither said nor did anything resembling what he has been accused of. In no sense was Soros, who turned 14 years old not long after the Germans occupied Hungary in 1944, a “Nazi collaborator.” At no time did he confiscate (or help confiscate) the property of Jews, “identify Jews to the Nazis,” or help “round up” people targeted for deportation or extermination by the Germans (to answer just a few of the accusations leveled against him). And although Soros did attest during the infamous60 Minutesinterview that he regrets nothing about the time of German occupation, he also said it is precisely because hedidn’tdo any of the things attributed to him that his conscience is clear.

While it’s true, Kaufman wrote, that one of the jobs delegated to young George’s temporary protector (a Hungarian bureaucrat named Baumbach) was taking inventory of Jewish properties already confiscated by the Nazis, the extent of Soros’s participation was accompanying Baumbach ononeof those assignments:

As Baumbach itemized the material, George walked around the grounds and spent time with Kornfeld’s staff. It was his first visit to such a mansion, and the first time he rode a horse. He collaborated with no one and he paid attention to what he understood to be his primary responsibility: making sure that no one doubted that he was Sandor Kiss [Soros’s assumed identity]. Among his practical concerns was to make sure that no one saw him pee.

Another “Nazi collaborator” trope holds that young George Soros helped send fellow Jews to their deaths by delivering deportation notices on behalf of Budapest’s Jewish Council (Judenratin German), an organization tasked by the Nazis with helping enforce Nazi policies on the Hungarian Jewish population.

According to Soros’s father, school-age Jewish children were required to run errands for the council. Among those errands (he came to find out) was delivering deportation notices to prominent Jews. But although George did, in fact, spend all of two days as a Jewish Council errand boy, he didn’t perform his assigned tasks exactly as ordered, taking it upon himself to warn the recipients of the notices that they ought not to comply.  From Tivadar Soros's memoir: 

As Jews couldn’t go to school any more and their teachers couldn’t teach, they were ordered to report to council headquarters. The children were enlisted as couriers under the command of their teachers. My younger son, George, also became a courier. On the second day he returned home at seven in the evening.

‘What did you do all day?’

‘Mostly nothing. But this afternoon I was given some notices to deliver to various addresses.’

‘Did you read what they said?’

‘I even brought one home.’

He handed me a small slip of paper, with a typewritten message:

SUMMONS

You are requested to report tomorrow morning at 9 o’clock at the Rabbinical Seminary in Rokk Szildrd Street. Please bring with you a blanket, and food for two days.

THE JEWISH COUNCIL

‘Do you know what this means?’ I asked him.

‘I can guess,’ he replied with great seriousness. ‘They’ll be interned.’

Children are often good guessers. I wondered whether he knew what being interned meant. Did this child of mine realize that these people would be deported to Germany and very possibly murdered? I felt too ashamed of the world I had brought him into to enlighten him.

‘The Jewish Council has no right to give people orders like that,’ I told him. ‘You are not to work there any more.’

‘I tried to tell the people I called on not to obey,’ he said, clearly disappointed that I wouldn’t let him work any more. He was beginning to enjoy his career as a courier: it was all a big adventure.

Greg Jones
2  Greg Jones    one week ago

As a prominent political activist and supporter of left-wing causes, Hungarian-born billionaire financier

That's why I don't have any use for the asshole. His being Jewish is irrelevant.

Dismayed Patriot
2.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Greg Jones @2    one week ago
That's why I don't have any use for the asshole. His being Jewish is irrelevant

So you will loudly denounce the false information being spread about Soros, right? You'll dismiss all the lies when you hear them, right? You'll stand up and be counted for truth when you hear someone claim Soros was a Nazi sympathizer, right?

2.1.1  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1    one week ago
So you will loudly denounce the false information being spread about Soros, right?

Of course he won't.  Just attacking him for the same thing the Koch's do doesn't isn't really effective for the Shitbag base.  Tossing in the ancient antisemitic smears spices it up for them.  

2.2  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Greg Jones @2    one week ago
His being Jewish is irrelevant.

But useful as an adjunct for smearing his for his political activity.  Thanks, Greg, for proving exactly the point of my article.

bbl-1
3  bbl-1    one week ago

The right wing uses Goebbels' playbook.  These methods have stood the test of time.

Unfortunately, America's enemies, mainly Russia and the oligarch clique, have created standing fissures in the American society.  Exactly like they are doing in Europe, Africa and South America.

The man who alleges Soros was a Nazi sympathizer, was himself a Nazi sympathizer.  A good rule of thumb is to never trust or believe a Nazi.