Washington Redskins retire team name, logo; no replacement announced

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  suz  •  3 weeks ago  •  96 comments

By:   By Ryan Gaydos

Washington Redskins retire team name, logo; no replacement announced

I respect those of you who do not care for Fox News so I am going to show the entire article rather than ask others to read the story on the News website.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The Washington Redskins announced Monday they will change their team name and logo after about 87 years of using it, in the wake of corporate and public pressure to ditch the moniker over racial connotations.

The Redskins did not announce a new name.

“On July 3rd, we announced the commencement of a thorough review of the team’s name. That review has begun in earnest. As part of this process, we want to keep our sponsors, fans and community apprised of our thinking as we go forward.

“Today, we are announcing we will be retiring the Redskins name and logo upon completion of this review.

“Dan Snyder and Coach Rivera are working closely to develop a new name and design approach that will enhance the standing of our proud, tradition rich franchise and inspire our sponsors, fans and community for the next 100 years.”

Anheuser-Busch was one sponsor who welcomed the retirement news.

"Washington’s decision to change its franchise mascot and logo is a positive step towards creating a world where inclusivity is the norm. As a major partner of the NFL and many individual teams, we fully support their recent steps to stand against racism and inequality. Anheuser-Busch and Bud Light look forward to working with the Washington team and all of our partners across the NFL to bring players, fans, and local communities together this season," an Anheuser-Busch spokesperson told Fox News in a statement.

Washington has come under fire over the term Redskins in recent weeks, with FedEx publicly requesting that the team change its name. The company reportedly threatened to remove signage from the stadium as well if the team didn’t make the alteration by the end of the 2020 season.

Big-name retailers such as Amazon, Walmart and Target, as well as Nike and Dick’s Sporting Goods, all removed Redskins merchandise from their websites last week.

Also last week, ESPN reported that the team had made the decision to remove the Native American imagery from its logo.

The recent national focus on race relations, prompted by the May 25 death of George Floyd in Minneapolis, brought new scrutiny to the team’s name. That’s when the Redskins said they would conduct a “thorough review” of the team name.

The team also hopes to build a new stadium and return inside D.C. city limits.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
[]

FLYNAVY1
1  FLYNAVY1    3 weeks ago

I heard it put very well yesterday...

"If you were going to name a modern day sports team, is there any way you would name them the "Redskins"?  Not a chance in hell!

I'll leave it to my NA brothers to decide, but Chiefs, Blackhawks, Indians, Braves......  Don't carry and sort of negative racist tone that the old NFL Washington name did.

The military has helicopters named Kiowa, Apache, Comanche, Chinook, Lakota, and Blackhawk.  All proud names for proud aircraft that help defend a country that has rarely defended them.  Rather ironic don't you think?

Kavika
1.1  Kavika   replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1    3 weeks ago

This is the reason that they are named after American Indian tribes.

https://www.defense.gov/Explore/Inside-DOD/Blog/Article/2052989/why-army-helicopters-have-native-american-names/

Of course, the name change upsets some of the no nothings but bigots gotta bigot. 

FLYNAVY1
1.1.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Kavika @1.1    3 weeks ago

From that link....

32 Native Americans have earned the nation’s highest military award, the Medal of Honor.

Krishna
1.1.2  Krishna  replied to  Kavika @1.1    3 weeks ago

This is the reason that they are named after American Indian tribes.

Thanks for that-- interesting article!

(I never knew why-- now I know :-)

Sean Treacy
1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1    3 weeks ago

Have to change the names of the helicopters now.  Can't honor those who fought against the US Army. [deleted]

FLYNAVY1
1.2.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.2    3 weeks ago

Again.... Like Perrie pointed out.... You just like being offensive.

I'll let Suz deal with the bigots on her seed.

Suz
1.2.2  seeder  Suz  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1.2.1    3 weeks ago

I've requested assistance, FLYNAVY. 

Krishna
1.2.3  Krishna  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.2    3 weeks ago
 Can't honor those who fought against the US Army.

Because the army fought to exterminate them-- in fact there's a word for that. It's called "Genocide" :-( 

(Guess you "inadvertently" forgot to mention that...)

devangelical
1.3  devangelical  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1    3 weeks ago

the name change has nothing to do with the owner's new found sensitivity to NA's, his accountants and financial advisors convinced him.

FLYNAVY1
1.3.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  devangelical @1.3    3 weeks ago

Are you saying it was financially prudent.....?  Tell me it isn't so.

FLYNAVY1
1.4.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  MAGA @1.4    3 weeks ago

[Deleted]

PJ
1.5  PJ  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1    3 weeks ago

I disagree.  If people are going to demand any reference to their race, gender, culture, etc is an offensive representation then it has to be applied across the board.   

Sean Treacy
2  Sean Treacy    3 weeks ago

[deleted]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
2.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    3 weeks ago

So you just like being offensive. Good to know. 

Kavika
2.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1    3 weeks ago

You expected anything else....LOL it's his MO.

Sean Treacy
2.1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1    3 weeks ago

[Deleted]

Kavika
2.1.3  Kavika   replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1.2    3 weeks ago
Removed for context

Naw, you have it backwards as usual. It should read, ''The whiners, complainers and bigots lost''...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
2.1.6  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1.2    3 weeks ago

I am celebrating because something that was wrong, was made right, which sadly you seem to miss. 

And then you double down with an additional insult "the Redtails", which is really just showing what kind of person you are.

And now we are onto COVID? YOU ARE OFF TOPIC AND I NEVER SAID THAT.

Sean Treacy
2.1.8  Sean Treacy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.6    3 weeks ago

How is Redtails offensive?  That, by all reports, is the frontrunner for the new name.

r.t..b...
2.1.11  r.t..b...  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1.2    3 weeks ago
the  whiners and complainers won!

No, Mr. Treacy, looking the other way is no longer an excuse.

For those somehow clinging to rooting for a symbol, any symbol...think about it...All you are cheering on and holding dear is a uniform...players and coaches come and go, but for some reason fans equate a mascot with loyalty, even if that loyalty is culturally offensive.

In two years, the Washington fans will be hollering for the team, regardless of the mascot...for it is not the mascot but civic pride that brings together a fan base. Ask any college or high school that had the foresight and understanding to change names way before a singular owner of a franchise dug in his heels.

FLYNAVY1
2.1.16  FLYNAVY1  replied to    3 weeks ago

How about the Washington Paddy's or Washington Mick's.  The logo will be that of a peat bog after the "boggers"

Sean Treacy
2.1.17  Sean Treacy  replied to    3 weeks ago

No we don't. Explain how naming a team after the Tuskegge airmen is so offensive that it's a COC violation. Why are you offended by the term that is by all accounts the favorite for the new nickname?

charger 383
2.1.19  charger 383  replied to    3 weeks ago

That was when I lost interest in pro basketball

Tacos!
2.1.20  Tacos!  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.6    3 weeks ago
And then you double down with an additional insult " the Redtails", which is really just showing what kind of person you are.

It's not an insult. It's a real thing.

Eb9JmwkVcAYYcMm?format=jpg&name=large

Redtails has been proposed as the new name and is reportedly the favorite of multiple names under consideration. As you can see from the graphic below, it was a nickname for the Tuskegee Airmen. I think you could investigate these things a little rather than assume the worst in people and get outraged over something you don't actually understand.

Eb9JmwjUEAAQp7Z?format=jpg&name=large

On that topic, while I approve of a team mascot honoring those brave men, I think it's a shame it has to come at the expense of a team mascot (not so much the name) that was already honoring Native Americans. 

Suz
2.1.23  seeder  Suz  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1.8    3 weeks ago

Aren't the Tuskegee soldiers/air-corp already using Red-tails?  

Tacos!
2.1.24  Tacos!  replied to  Suz @2.1.23    3 weeks ago
Aren't the Tuskegee soldiers/air-corp already using Red-tails?

That's how mascots work. You find some person, group of people, or an animal, and you say "we want our team to be like them in some positive way." We want to be brave like them, or tough like them. The team that adopts a mascot is celebrating some aspect of the original. 

MAGA
2.1.25  MAGA  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1.8    3 weeks ago

dennis smith
2.1.26  dennis smith  replied to  Tacos! @2.1.20    3 weeks ago

Redtails seems to be celebrating one race over others.  

Tacos!
2.1.27  Tacos!  replied to  dennis smith @2.1.26    3 weeks ago

I suppose all mascots are like that.

Dismayed Patriot
3  Dismayed Patriot    3 weeks ago

They changed the "Bullets" into the "Wizards", perhaps they should change the "Redskins" into the "Washington Muggles"... Of course then there would be those upset about the discrimination against "non-wizarding" folk.

But seriously, they should have changed this a long time ago.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
4  Perrie Halpern R.A.    3 weeks ago

I'm really please about this. Finally, Indian voices are being heard! 

Suz
4.1  seeder  Suz  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4    3 weeks ago

I do not think of this as a victory. 

I think it is nothing more than one rich guy caving to the richer guys, and it would have meant so much more had the owner seen the light years ago.  This was nothing more than one group of billionaires throwing their weight of money around by threatening the owner.  Cheap theatrics.

My biggest hope is they don't use the name the Red Tails.  That already belongs to a unique group of men.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
4.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Suz @4.1    3 weeks ago
I think it is nothing more than one rich guy caving to the richer guys, and it would have meant so much more had the owner seen the light years ago.

I totally agree. 

My biggest hope is they don't use the name the Red Tails.  That already belongs to a unique group of men.

LMAO! Good one!

Suz
4.2  seeder  Suz  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4    3 weeks ago

Hello, luv.  What does the collapse this thread mean?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
5  Perrie Halpern R.A.    3 weeks ago

btw.. thanks Suz for posting this!

Suz
5.1  seeder  Suz  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5    3 weeks ago

Your welcome.  I have personal feelings on this subject and I had them all typed out ready to post, but then I did a Suz and now, those thoughts have gone off somewhere never to be thought of again.  ((damn!))

Perrie Halpern R.A.
5.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Suz @5.1    3 weeks ago

Then I have the same issue. Half the time I forget what I wanted to say...

I think it's called getting old, LOL~

Suz
5.1.2  seeder  Suz  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.1    3 weeks ago

Hush Puppy!

charger 383
6  charger 383    3 weeks ago

Now there is a team I like less than the Seahawks and Steelers

MAGA
6.1  MAGA  replied to  charger 383 @6    3 weeks ago

I can’t stand the Seahawks or the Steelers either...

charger 383
6.1.1  charger 383  replied to  MAGA @6.1    3 weeks ago

one of the things we agree on

JohnRussell
8  JohnRussell    3 weeks ago

proposed new names

Washington Red Hots

Washington Red Meat

Washington Red Bloodeds

Washington Shirts n' Skins

Washington Thick Skins

Washington Skin Flicks

Suz
8.1  seeder  Suz  replied to  JohnRussell @8    3 weeks ago

Does the state of Washington have any professional teams that use the 'Washington' in their team name?  Redskins was used an awful lot and people knew the difference between Washington D.C. and and the state Washington?   Did I word that right??  :-))

MAGA
8.1.1  MAGA  replied to  Suz @8.1    3 weeks ago

At the college level there’s the Washington Huskies in the PAC -12.  With some exceptions most pro teams are named after a city rather than a state.  

dennis smith
8.2  dennis smith  replied to  JohnRussell @8    3 weeks ago

"Washington's Football Team" would also work. 

charger 383
9  charger 383    3 weeks ago

They should move the team to England, Roger Goodell wants a n NFL team there

GregTx
9.1  GregTx  replied to  charger 383 @9    3 weeks ago

That would certainly be alright with me, although my BIL would likely have a heart attack. But wouldn't that mean they're not the NFL anymore?

Tacos!
11  Tacos!    3 weeks ago

Changing the name is fine, but why lose the mascot? Just go with some other name that honors Native Americans and keep all the imagery.

Native American son of Redskins logo designer says it's not offensive, calls the change 'hard'

Washington's logo has been an Indian chief since 1971. It was designed by Native American Walter “Blackie” Wetzel to depict a member of the Blackfeet tribe.

"Everyone was pretty upset (about the change)," Lance Wetzel said. "Everyone understood the name change we were all on board with that. Once they weren't going to use the logo, it was hard. It takes away from the Native Americans. When I see that logo, I take pride in it. You look at the depiction of the Redskins logo and it’s of a true Native American. I always felt it was representing my people. That's not gone" 

The Redskins logo is a picture of John "Two Guns" White Calf, a Blackfeet Chief who also appears on the Buffalo Nickel. 

Gazoo
12  Gazoo    3 weeks ago

Ok left leaners, now it’s on to the red mesa redskins, a high school in red mesa arizona. Good luck with changing this one, these native American kids take great pride in their school nickname.

Jeremy Retired in NC
12.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Gazoo @12    3 weeks ago

Just like the Native Americans who were involved in selecting the name Redskins.  But, you know, fuck them.  It's all about what a liberal snowflake finds offensive instead.

Kavika
12.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @12.1    3 weeks ago

And what NA's were those that selected the name, Jeremy?

Jeremy Retired in NC
12.1.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Kavika @12.1.1    3 weeks ago

You do know you can look it up yourself, just as I have.  It's called research and you learn things.

I'll even give you a name to start with:  William Henry Dietz.

FLYNAVY1
12.1.3  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @12.1.2    3 weeks ago
As you said... do some research....
Dietz's true identity remains controversial. Although he is recognized as an "Indian athlete" by  Dan Snyder , owner of the Washington Redskins,  Indian Country Today Media Network  ran a series of articles in 2004 exposing Dietz as a white man masquerading as a Native American. [1]  In 1988, the  National Congress of American Indians  attempted to meet and discuss the issue with the team's former owner,  Jack Kent Cooke , but Cooke refused a meeting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Henry_Dietz
We'll let the locals figure this one out as I doubt they have the same sort of local advertising network as the Washington NFL team does....

Jeremy Retired in NC
12.1.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @12.1.3    3 weeks ago

Sorry.   Given the opportunity for almost anybody to edit the entries. Wikipedia isn't really a reliable source.

Tessylo
12.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @12.1.4    3 weeks ago

That would be Conservapedia . . . not Wikipedia.  

Jeremy Retired in NC
12.1.6  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Tessylo @12.1.5    3 weeks ago

So you're going to wait for CNN to tell you?

Gazoo
12.1.7  Gazoo  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @12.1    3 weeks ago

Some na’s take pride in the name. I’m not na but i’ve never taken the name as a slur, nor used it as a slur.

Sean Treacy
12.1.8  Sean Treacy  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @12.1.2    3 weeks ago

Here's some from the first Redskin team:

Orien Crow, Larry Waukechon Johnson,David Ward and Rabbit Welles

The name was changed from the Braves to avoid confusion with the Boston Braves baseball team. 

FLYNAVY1
12.1.9  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @12.1.4    3 weeks ago

Well I'm sure as hell not going to research the Daily Caller, or Breitbart...

How about you provide a reference point then..... you know... since you don't trust Wikipedia.  Since you've already looked it up... per 12.1.2.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
12.1.10  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @12.1.4    3 weeks ago
Given the opportunity for almost anybody to edit the entries. Wikipedia isn't really a reliable source.

Actually, not anymore Jeremy. NT has been trying to get an entry for a while now, and to become an actual edition, you must have qualifications and show a history of good stewardship. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
12.1.11  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Gazoo @12.1.7    3 weeks ago

Gazoo,

I am sure you didn't realize how the NA community took it. But once told that should be enough. 

Gazoo
12.1.12  Gazoo  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @12.1.11    3 weeks ago

Which na’s should i listen too? Not all na’s find it offensive, in fact some take pride in it.

1stwarrior
12.1.13  1stwarrior  replied to  Gazoo @12.1.12    3 weeks ago

Little editorial comment - it's NA's, which stands for "Native Americans" - not na's, which stands for "not applicable" or "no answer" or "not available" or . . . . . . . .

And, yes, there is a HUGE difference.

Thanks.

1stwarrior
12.1.14  1stwarrior  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @12.1.2    3 weeks ago

Jeremy - if ya don't know, say so.  If you did your "research" thoroughly you would've seen IMMEDIATELY that Dietz was a fake.

Suz
12.1.15  seeder  Suz  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @12.1.4    3 weeks ago

Very true. 

Gazoo
12.1.16  Gazoo  replied to  1stwarrior @12.1.13    3 weeks ago

Sorry 1st. I didn’t mean any disrespect by not capitalizing.

MAGA
12.1.17  MAGA  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @12.1.4    3 weeks ago

There is nothing about Wikipedia or rational wiki that can be considered reliable, unbiased, or objective.  

MAGA
12.1.18  MAGA  replied to  Tessylo @12.1.5    3 weeks ago

Conservapedia is a fine, honest, fair, and upstanding resource unlike Wikipedia which is none of the above.  

MAGA
12.1.19  MAGA  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @12.1.9    3 weeks ago

Both Breitbart and Daily Caller are very good and high reputation news sources.  I highly recommend both of them.  

MAGA
12.1.20  MAGA  replied to  Gazoo @12.1.12    3 weeks ago

Only pay attention to the faux offended ones.  The others who aren’t woke on the issue don’t count.  They are treated the same way woke progressives treat conservative African Americans.  

1stwarrior
12.1.21  1stwarrior  replied to  Gazoo @12.1.16    3 weeks ago

No problem Gazoo - just a little "friendly" education :-)

1stwarrior
12.1.22  1stwarrior  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @12.1    3 weeks ago

Here's a little more "education" Jeremy - please don't be offended - just trying to help.

"get that redskin son of a bitch off the battle space!" - 1864 or 2020 ???

“Then, as one of the cavalrymen later told it, while his compatriots were slaughtering and mutilating the bodies of all the women and all the children they could catch, he spotted the boy trying to flee: There was one little child, probably three years old, just big enough to walk through the sand. The Indians had gone ahead, and this little child was behind following after them. The little fellow was perfectly naked, traveling on the sand. I saw one man get off his horse, at a distance of about seventy-five yards, and draw up his rifle and fire—he missed the child. Another man came up and said, “Let me try the son of a bitch; I can hit him.” He got down off his horse, kneeled down and fired at the little child, but he missed him. A third man came up and made a similar remark, and fired, and the little fellow dropped.”

It was still a half year away from Eli Parker's drafting the surrender documents for the Civil War's end at Appomattox but the newspapers throughout the nation had been filled with articles throughout 1864 about an anticipated Great Campaign to Vanquish, Eradicate and Exterminate the Redskins, Devils or Red Devils, Savages or Wild Savages as the other war in the East subsided. No mistake about it, these hostiles were also called hostiles and "Indians" and "hostile Indians." But "redskins" would be a favorite in common use ranging after the California Volunteers model victory in the Bear River Massacre on the Idaho - Utah border (1863) into Arizona's 1885 hunt down for Geronimo with the Territory's paid bounty of $250.00 for every "redskin" Apache scalp turned into authorized outlets for the reward. That's more than twenty years of unrelenting "redskin" insecurity! What an Honor!

But perhaps the greater 'honor' fell to those "women and children" being 'slaughtered and mutilated" while the maybe "three year old" redskin "son of bitch" was being "dropped." In the language of the battle space testimony, their "Squaw's snatches" were being carefully harvested for adorning rifles held at salute or celebration, but more deliberately for stretching around saddle horns and, better yet, as hat bands - military and civilian - first seen in the ribald return to Denver and judged as prize by the presence or absence of pubic hair. At their lowest number, the females of all ages accounted for at least 130 of the Sand Creek redskins or "Squaw's snatches." Each of the dead had produced "three to five scalps" for the cavalrymen and soldier infantrymen - or 600 to 1,000 scalps, probably including "snatches." The male redskin genitalia likewise weren't overlooked nor left behind. The most famous of the military male takings was Chief White Antelope's testicles and his scrotal sac as converted into a storied tobacco pouch. The Colorado whites just couldn't get enough "redskin!" What an Honor for the Indians. [Not Ever!]

I could never bring myself to go watch the movie, "Soldier Blue" - even though I loved Buffy Ste. Marie's singing and Candice Bergen's acting (along with her willingness to join Marlon Brando in charity appearances for Indians). Present talk of redskin helmets and redskin headgear and of redskin mascots and redskin logos and related redskin iconography should always draw forth the most scorching memories of the atrocities committed upon the "redskins" of the 1864 Sand Creek Massacre - mostly women and children. There are no age appropriate elementary or secondary classrooms in which the true stories and accounts of the horrors might be taught or fully revealed. That includes classrooms for any race - and meaning to properly exclude all races! White citizens do not benefit by anyone's encouraging them to continue indulging in superiority impulses and long-term unsustainable fantasies. While you are sitting in their stadiums and they are calling themselves "redskins;" take that time to tell your young sons and young daughters about what happened to the true Indians called "redskins" at Sand Creek on November 29, 1864. Actually, tell yourself - and don't tell them. You be their teacher - not some one else's "mascot."

Hope this helps.

Kavika
13  Kavika     3 weeks ago

Sorry, it took so long to get back to you Jeremy, but I was laughing so hard at your total lack of knowledge on this subject.

Yup, good old Lone Star Dietz, a chimook that's a wannabe. He was no more Indian than Trump is. He was born in Rice Lake WI. to German parents (both sides) and his birth certificate read ''white'' probably should read Wannabe. 

You're going to love this since he seems to be your hero. He was investigated by the FBI for claiming to be Indian, thus he was not eligible for the draft. Guess what they found...

Dietz's heritage was first contested in 1916 after former neighbors who settled on the Pacific Coast heard he was posing as a Native American. In December 1918 the Federal Bureau of Investigation looked into his heritage after he registered for the draft as a "Non-Citizen Indian" with an allotment. The Bureau found he had taken on the identity of James One Star, an Oglala man of the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation 12 years his senior who had disappeared in Cuba in 1894. Dietz also claimed he was the head of an American film company that produced propaganda films for the war. It's called research and you learn things.

Although Indians were exempt from the draft 12,000 of us volunteered. In fact the first ''Code Talkers'' were the Choctaw in WWI. And get this we were not even citizens in our own country. But you probably knew all this from your research.  

Now let's address the snowflake comment. 

I'm actually more of a bronze color, it would seem the snowflake is you. Being an enrolled member of the Ojibwe and Metis nations and 99.44 % pure Indian this has been a lifelong battle for many of us. You should know that from all of your research don't you think?

I'm going to list all the Tribes, Organizations, Individuals to have been for years fighting for change. Currently, there are about 6 million Amerian Indians and Alaska Natives with a very large percent of us being vets and a hell of a lot of combat vets. Probably not snowflakes as you use the term. 

Native Americans and organizations advocating change [ edit ]

In the 1940s the   National Congress of American Indians   (NCAI) created a campaign to eliminate negative stereotyping of Native American people in the media. Over time, the campaign began to focus on Indian names and mascots in sports. [4]   The NCAI maintains that teams with mascots such as the   Braves   and the   Redskins   perpetuate negative stereotypes of Native American people, and demean their native traditions and rituals. [5]   The NCAI issued a new report in 2013 summarizing opposition to Indian mascots and team names generally, and the Washington Redskins in particular. [6]   In the trademark case, the TTAB placed significance on the NCAI opposition, estimating that the organization represented about 30% of the Native American population at the time the trademarks were granted, which met their criteria for a "substantial composite" of Native Americans finding the name disparaging. [7]

The following groups have passed resolutions or issued statements regarding their opposition to the name of the Washington NFL team:

Tribes [ edit ]

Organizations [ edit ]

• Advocates for American Indian Children (California)
  • American Indian Mental Health Association (Minnesota)
  • American Indian Movement [25]
  • American Indian   Opportunities Industrialization Center   of San Bernardino County
  • American Indian Student Services at the Ohio State University
  • American Indian High Education Consortium
  • American Indian College Fund
  • Americans for Indian Opportunity
  • Association on American Indian Affairs
  • Buncombe County Native American Inter-tribal Association (North Carolina)
  • Capitol Area Indian Resources (Sacramento, CA)
  • Concerned American Indian Parents (Minnesota)
  • Council for Indigenous North Americans (University of Southern Maine)
  • Eagle and Condor Indigenous Peoples' Alliance
  • First Peoples Worldwide
  • Fontana Native American Indian Center, Inc. (California)
  • Governor's Interstate Indian Council
  • Greater Tulsa Area Indian Affairs Commission [26]
  • Great Lakes Inter-Tribal Council (Wisconsin)
  • HONOR – Honor Our Neighbors Origins and Rights
  • Kansas Association for Native American Education
  • Maryland Commission on Indian Affairs
  • Medicine Wheel Inter-tribal Association (Louisiana)
  • Minnesota Indian Education Association
  • National Congress of American Indians   (NCAI)
  • National Indian Child Welfare Association
  • National Indian Education Association
  • National Indian Youth Council
  • National Native American Law Student Association
  • Native American Caucus of the California Democratic Party
  • Native American Finance Officers Association (NAFOA) [27]
  • Native American Journalists Association [28]
  • Native American Indian Center of Central Ohio
  • Native American Rights Fund   (NARF)
  • Native Voice Network
  • Nebraska Commission on Indian Affairs
  • Nottawaseppi Huron Band of Potawatomi (Michigan)
  • Not Your Mascots, Inc.
  • North Carolina Commission of Indian Affairs
  • North Dakota Indian Education Association
  • Office of Native American Ministry, Diocese of Grand Rapids (Michigan)
  • Ohio Center for Native American Affairs
  • San Bernardino/Riverside Counties Native American Community Council
  • Seminole Nation of Oklahoma
  • Society of American Indian Government Employees (SAIGE)
  • Society of Indian Psychologists of the Americas
  • Southern California Indian Center
  • St. Cloud State University – American Indian Center
  • Tennessee Chapter of the National Coalition for the Preservation of Indigenous Cultures
  • Tennessee Commission of Indian Affairs
  • Tennessee Native Veterans Society
  • Tulsa Indian Coalition Against Racism [29]
  • The Confederated Tribes of the Colville Reservation
  • Unified Coalition for American Indian Concerns, Virginia
  • The United Indian Nations of Oklahoma
  • Virginia American Indian Cultural Resource Center
  • Wisconsin Indian Education Association
  • WIEA "Indian" Mascot and Logo Taskforce (Wisconsin)
  • Woodland Indian Community Center-Lansing (Michigan)
  • Youth "Indian" Mascot and Logo Task force (Wisconsin)

After accepting $200,000 from the   Washington Redskins Original Americans Foundation   for the prior year, the Indian National Finals Rodeo (INFR), which says it is the U.S.' and Canada's largest rodeo organization for Native Americans, sent a letter refusing any further donations. INFR Vice President Michael Bo Vocu stated "After much soul searching, we have decided that we cannot in good conscience accept resources from you on the terms you have offered, no matter how desperately we need it ... because, as you know, the resources you are offering are not truly philanthropic -- they come with the expectation that we will support the racial slur that continues to promote your associated professional football team's name." Last year the Redskins primary logo appeared at many Native rodeo events, creating a backlash from those offended by it. [30]

Individuals [ edit ]

Interviews at a powwow in   Towson, Maryland , find several Native Americans who favor a change of the Redskins name. [31]

These Native Americans have put their opposition to the Redskins' name on the public record:

• Sherman Alexie   ( Spokane , author): "Most, you know, at least half the country thinks the mascot issue is insignificant. But I think it's indicative of the ways in which Indians have no cultural power." [32]
  • Bruce Anderson   ( Coquille people ): "I challenge [owner Dan Snyder] to focus on winning ... but also an opportunity for me to simply sit with my grandchildren to watch my former team without having to cut through the racial stereotypes." [33]
  • Allen Barbre   ( Tunica-Biloxi ), a   Philadelphia Eagles   player, refuses to use the name of the Washington team. [34]
  • Irene Bedard   ( Inupiat ,   Inuit   and   Métis , actress): She's really upset about some of the costumes the cheerleaders have worn through the years -- calling them over sexualized and "degrading" to proud Native American women like herself. [35]
  • Notah Begay   (Navajo, PGA pro golfer) called the Redskins' name "a very clear example of institutionalized degradation of an ethnic minority." [36]
  • Clyde Bellecourt   (Ojibwe, co-founder of the   American Indian Movement ) [37]
  • Bob Burns (Blackfeet elder) [38]
  • Ben Nighthorse Campbell   (Northern Cheyenne, U.S. Senator) [39]
  • Gregg Deal   (Paiute Tribe of Pyramid Lake, artist/activist, and DC Area resident): "People aren't just emboldened by their team to treat poorly those of us that would oppose such "honor." They are actually empowered in being aggressive to the point of assault, verbal or physical, threatened or made good. I live in a world where I must coach my children not to talk about such things publicly in school because a classmate may come at them, or even a teacher. The threat of aggression because of who we are is real and enabled by the Washington Redskins. That is not a complaint; that is the truth." [40]
  • Vine Deloria, Jr.   (Sioux, historian/author) [41]
  • Jim Enote (Zuni), director of the A:shiwi A:wan Museum and Heritage Center in New Mexico [42] [43]
  • Louise Erdrich   ( Chippewa , novelist/poet) – "It's more than a stereotype, it's an insult, and they don't have to perpetuate it." [44]
  • Donna Fann-Boyle (Choctaw/Cherokee, activist) [45]
  • Claudia Fox Tree (Arawak, teacher) – "It's part of a much larger issue in that those sort of depictions are our only representation in modern America. It isn't just the sin of stereotypes and misinformation, it's the sin of absence – of not seeing yourself or the people you come from anywhere, of not seeing any contemporary images." [46]
  • Stephanie Fryberg , Phd. ( Tulalip , Professor of American Indian Studies and Psychology at the   University of Washington )
  • Kevin Gover   ( Pawnee , director of The   Smithsonian Institution 's   National Museum of the American Indian ) [47]
  • Suzan Shown Harjo   (Cheyenne/Hodulgee Muscogee, author/activist) [48]
  • Tara Houska   (Ojibwe/Couchiching First Nation, attorney/activist)   [49]
  • Bronson Koenig ( Ho-Chunk Nation ,   Wisconsin Badgers   guard) [50]
  • Litefoot   (Cherokee/Chichimeca, rapper) ironically celebrates Native American team names as "recreational genocide" on the track 'Stereotipik'. [51]
  • Dana Lone Hill (Oglala Lakota Sioux, writer): The refusal to rename the Redskins is far worse than Donald Sterling's racist remarks. [52]
  • Adrienne Keene   (Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma, Assistant Professor of American Studies and Ethnic Studies at Brown University)
  • Russell Means   (Oglala Lakota, activist/actor) [53]
  • Billy Mills   (Sioux, Olympic gold medal winner) [54]
  • David Narcomey   (Seminole Nation of Oklahoma) [55]
  • Ted Nolan   (First Nations Ojibway, NHL player and coach) [56]
  • Cornel Pewewardy   ( Comanche - Kiowa , Professor of Education at   Portland State University ) [57]
  • Oklahoma businessman Ryan Red Corn ( Osage ): Dan Snyder is an "idiot" for keeping the name. [58]
  • Buford Rolin (Creek tribal chairman) [59]
  • Gyasi Ross   (Blackfeet Nation/Suquamish Territories, author/attorney): Regarding team supporters citing larger issue faced by Native Americans than a team name, "Native people shouldn't be forced to choose between living or racial discrimination. Those are false binaries." [60]
  • Shoni Schimmel ( Umatilla , Louisville Cardinals guard, class of 2015) [61]
  • Charlene Teters   (Spokane, artist/lecturer) [62]
  • Summer Wesley   (Choctaw attorney, writer, and activist) [63]
  • W. Richard West Jr.   (Cheyenne, President of the   Autry National Center   in Los Angeles): Redskin is "an openly derogatory term. It always is and it always has been." West also characterizes the Original American's Foundation as an "attempt to divert attention from the fact that his team's nickname is coming under increasing heat from people who think it's an offensive racial term." [64]
  • Ray Young Bear   ( Meskwaki , author) [65]

Civil rights and religious organizations [ edit ]

Just a couple of more things. Of course, you'll find some Indians that are not offended. Just like you might find some Italians that aren't offended by the term WOP. 

If you review the list that I posted above you'll find that the largest tribes in the US back the change and have fought for the change for decades. But you probably know that, being so good at research. 

Baampaaiii 

FLYNAVY1
13.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Kavika @13    3 weeks ago

Priceless information Kavika!

Suz
13.2  seeder  Suz  replied to  Kavika @13    3 weeks ago

You lost me at 'hello'.    I'm just funnin' with ya.  :-)

That's going to take some reading not to mention, I'll have to enlarge that puppy.

MAGA
13.2.1  MAGA  replied to  Suz @13.2    3 weeks ago

So this guy was the Elizabeth Warren of his day?  

evilgenius
14  evilgenius    3 weeks ago

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet. Reportedly the hold up on a new name is because some guy with too much time on his hands has trademarked all the names the organization has considered using. He started with the Washington Pigskins and branched out to many others. He has said he'll give them the trademark for free, but it now being a legal thing will take a little more time to sort out.

Suz
14.1  seeder  Suz  replied to  evilgenius @14    3 weeks ago

I saw that.  I wonder when they were purchased.

Texan1211
14.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Suz @14.1    3 weeks ago

pretty smart of whoever did that.

evilgenius
14.1.2  evilgenius  replied to  Suz @14.1    3 weeks ago
I saw that.  I wonder when they were purchased.

According to a couple of articles I read, this guy from Virginia started in 2014 and has filed new names every few months. He sent a list to the football team's head office on the 4th with names they could have for free, but has not heard back from them. He has had merch (mugs and such)  printed with some of the trademarked names so he may, or may not, have a case if they just try to steal it out from under him. 

JaneDoe
14.2  JaneDoe  replied to  evilgenius @14    3 weeks ago

I wonder if the name Washington foreskins was considered. In honor of all the dickheads in Washington. 

r.t..b...
14.2.1  r.t..b...  replied to  JaneDoe @14.2    3 weeks ago
the name

And we have a winner!

Transyferous Rex
16  Transyferous Rex    3 weeks ago

Well, they could go the political route, name it after the people occupying seats in DC, and change it to...

The Washington Thinskins.