Redwood City Scrubs Black Lives Matter Mural After Trump Supporter Asks to Paint 'MAGA 2020' on Same Street - CBS San Francisco

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  surfs-up  •  2 weeks ago  •  12 comments

By:   John Ramos (KPIXTV)

Redwood City Scrubs Black Lives Matter Mural After Trump Supporter Asks to Paint 'MAGA 2020' on Same Street - CBS San Francisco
Many communities across the country are displaying "Black Lives Matter" street murals. Redwood City was one of them until last week when the city quietly removed it.

and just like that... it was gone.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By John RamosJuly 19, 2020 at 10:00 pm Filed Under: Black Lives Matter, City Politics, MAGA, politics, Redwood City, Social Justice30h-BAY-white-horizontal.png?w=408

REDWOOD CITY (KPIX 5) — Many communities across the country are displaying "Black Lives Matter" street murals. Redwood City was one of them until last week when the city quietly removed it.

Redwood City resident Dan Pease got permission from city officials to paint the "Black Lives Matter" sign on Broadway as part of a Fourth of July public art celebration. The city even supplied him with yellow poster board paint to do it.

"Because we were using the poster board paint that would eventually deteriorate over time, my understanding from them was that the mural would last as long as the paint lasted," Pease explained.

But, last Thursday, the city washed the sign away after being contacted by local real estate attorney Maria Rutenburg, who said that if the street was now a public forum, she wanted a sign of her own reading "MAGA 2020."

"I saw "Black Lives Matter" sign appearing on Broadway Street on the asphalt and I figured that's gonna be a new public space, open for discussion, and I wanted to get my message out, too." Rutenburg said.

"MAGA" is, of course, short for Make America Great Again, a rallying cry for supporters of President Trump. Faced with the possibility of a political and/or legal fight, the city suddenly decided that Dan Pease's sign was a traffic hazard that might cause accidents and they removed it in the middle of the night. Pease says he doesn't consider "Black Lives Matter" to be a political statement but he understands the position the city was in.

"I have no hard feelings to the city council," Pease said. "I am disappointed but, at the same time, I am very grateful that they allowed me to put that message on Broadway."

With the message removed, area resident Art Elola was also disappointed that, in today's climate, a city cannot express the idea that Black lives matter without starting a fight.

"They're afraid, you know? And that's the whole movement — is we've been afraid to do what's right," Elola said. "The whole crux of the movement is be bold and let's do the right thing and here they're setting an example and it's unfortunate. It's unfortunate other people put the pressure on them, too."\

trump is off topic

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
[]

The Magic Eight Ball
1  seeder  The Magic Eight Ball    2 weeks ago

the legal precedent is there... if one is allowed?  others must be allowed also

but regardless... operation paint drop is more fun

that guy asking the police "why don't they stop her? cracks me up

Ronin2
1.1  Ronin2  replied to  The Magic Eight Ball @1    2 weeks ago

I really feel bad for the police in this situation.

They had both sides recording their every move. Of course the leftist observers were screaming "why don't you do something?"  Sheer hypocrisy at its finest.  What, don't like when your shit is vandalized? I highly doubt a street mural is considered on the same level as a statue, building, car, etc- all which have been vandalized, looted, and burned by leftist "protesters"

Welcome to the leftist version of policing. What the hell were they supposed to do? Both suspects were African American women- strictly taboo as far as a physical arrest. Neither was violent; but neither was cooperating either.

I have no problem with what the women did. The mural was strictly a political statement done by the mayor and the left's Brown Shirts. Both women made a political statement by marring it. However, both should have immediately complied with officer demands. Hopefully the officer that took a header in paint will be ok. Possible concussion and maybe a separated shoulder (hoping not on either). 

Well lefties, how do you like your new neutered police force? Feel safer?

Buzz of the Orient
2  Buzz of the Orient    2 weeks ago

I don't see anything wrong with that decision.  What's good for the goose.....

Mark in Wyoming
3  Mark in Wyoming    2 weeks ago

They likely chose the lesser of 2 evils facing them , if they allowed blm , they would have to allow maga , if they allowed maga they would incite a riot, so the safe thing to do was not allow maga and remove BLM.

Suz
4  Suz    2 weeks ago

The real shame in all of this is there is a necessity for the BLM movement.   I don't have to agree with everything they say or do, but they're right that things must change. 

Ronin2
4.1  Ronin2  replied to  Suz @4    2 weeks ago

I agree things must change; but they have jumped the shark. This isn't about fair treatment anymore; this is about neutering the capabilities of law enforcement. They want the lunatics to run the asylum; so long it is their lunatics. 

What is going to happen when the lunatics on the other side decide they have had enough and launch their own violent protests?

Who is going to stop both sides?

The Magic Eight Ball
4.2  seeder  The Magic Eight Ball  replied to  Suz @4    2 weeks ago
but they're right that things must change

if blm could stop being racist...    that would be great.

All Lives Matter  

Tacos!
5  Tacos!    2 weeks ago

I guess that's the end of that nonsense. Welcome to the First Amendment.

MAGA
5.1  MAGA  replied to  Tacos! @5    2 weeks ago

It’s interesting that the default position of the left is that it’s better for no sides of an issue to be presented than for both sides equally.  

gooseisgone
5.1.1  gooseisgone  replied to  MAGA @5.1    2 weeks ago
default position of the left is that it’s better for no sides of an issue to be presented than for both sides

That's SOP for the left, they believe in free speech as long as they agree with it.

charger 383
6  charger 383    2 weeks ago

Taxpayer money should not be used for this stupid stuff.  The city gave the paint for it, that is a misuse of taxpayer supplies. Redwood City resident Dan Peas should have to pay for cost of removal. 

Also, the street did not conform to standard highway markings and is a distraction both can cause a accident

Ronin2
6.1  Ronin2  replied to  charger 383 @6    2 weeks ago

I was wondering about that. I know of several streets where I live that have RR crossing painted on the road well before the tracks. It is a good way of making people slow down, and pay attention. There are two more roads that have Stop ahead painted on them about 100 feet before a four way stop that is a short distance over a hill; and partially blocked at a distance by trees. Again a good way to make traffic slow down in advance and pay attention. 

Pretty sure traffic isn't meant to slow in front of Trump Towers; or elsewhere where cities and towns have it painted.