╌>

Discussions

Moderate and balanced: open or not?

Moderate and balanced: open or not?

Via: xxjefferson51  •  meta  •  103 Comments  •  7 years ago

That's the question. I joined it and read some of the topics and comments from a number of liberal and conservative members. I seeded a 2 part article I found on Real Clear Politics from the...
Why have Forum Categories?

Why have Forum Categories?

Via: pj  •  meta  •  50 Comments  •  7 years ago

Shortly after joining NT I seeded an article in the wrong forum category by mistake and a member let me know.  To be honest I wasn't very familiar with the forum categories or the correct process...
A New Use For NT's Groups

A New Use For NT's Groups

Via: community  •  meta  •  97 Comments  •  7 years ago

Good Day Everyone!   It is with great excitement that I tell you about some really nice changes here on NT. Our groups will have new and exciting functionality that I hope will increase your...
The Moderate and Balance Group is now an open group!

The Moderate and Balance Group is now an open group!

Via: community  •  meta  •  78 Comments  •  7 years ago

The Moderate and Balanced Group is now open to membership from the general membership!  Please join me in a group that depends on Civil Discussion of issues and interesting news! Prior to your...
Who is responsible when an article gets misread?

Who is responsible when an article gets misread?

Via: bob-nelson  •  meta  •  147 Comments  •  7 years ago

How much of the responsibility for understanding lies with the writer of an article, and how much with the reader? This is not an easy question to answer. Obviously both sides bear some...
Sitting Too Much May Make You Less Sharp, And Physically Less Healthy

Sitting Too Much May Make You Less Sharp, And Physically Less Healthy

Via: krishna  •  meta  •  2 Comments  •  8 years ago

"It's not that the brain is a hard-wired computer circuit board. It's fluid and constantly changing," the endocrinologist says. And environmental factors have been proven time and again to...
"Why won't any one play with me?"  A discussion about self indulgence and Masturbatory RBR's

"Why won't any one play with me?" A discussion about self indulgence and Masturbatory RBR's

Via: release-the-kraken  •  meta  •  32 Comments  •  8 years ago

Today is going to be different, everyone is going to applaud your communication skills and adopt your point of view. You log on and check the front page. A...
Thumbs Down to the Snowflakes

Thumbs Down to the Snowflakes

Via: chi-town-funk  •  meta  •  117 Comments  •  8 years ago

Meta on this topic seems to have erupted on a members article, hopefully this will move the discussion to an appropriate outlet. Many of you have noticed...
 For My Friend 1st Warrior (et al) … On Brevity, Meta, Metaphors, Smorgasbords, Cookies, Buckets and Thimbles

For My Friend 1st Warrior (et al) … On Brevity, Meta, Metaphors, Smorgasbords, Cookies, Buckets and Thimbles

Via: community  •  meta  •  18 Comments  •  8 years ago

Last evening, in another thread, 1st Warrior wrote … Mac - getting my last degree required me to read a lot in a very short time frame ('Member - Law School), so I learned how to read five...
test - Please Ignore

test - Please Ignore

Via: pasher  •  meta  •  0 Comments  •  8 years ago

test - Please Ignore test - Please Ignore test - Please Ignore
New Policy Rule

New Policy Rule

Via: community  •  meta  •  361 Comments  •  8 years ago

There has been a sudden increase in the number of personal insults being hurled at one another resulting in a lot more moderation. In keeping in NT's policy about transparency, I am notifying the...
Should I stay out of NA discussions?

Should I stay out of NA discussions?

Via: nowhere-man  •  meta  •  9 Comments  •  8 years ago

1st Warrior posted this here .... I originally posted thin in that conversation, which was actually a derail of Blues thread supporting the oil pipeline standoff in the Dakotas. Brought to it's...
MAIN ROOM IN CHAT

MAIN ROOM IN CHAT

Via: johnrussell  •  meta  •  10 Comments  •  8 years ago

By popular demand, there is now a main room in the chat area  which will work like the one did at the old site (presumably)  check it out !!!!!   I know a lot of you missed it . 
Where Is Thumbkin?

Where Is Thumbkin?

Via: release-the-kraken  •  meta  •  22 Comments  •  8 years ago

With the recent outbreak of Meta thumb comments disrupting article I thought it my be useful to provide an appropriate and healthy avenue to discuss. The Newstalkers has an added feature...
Chat About Trump Convention This Evening On Newstalkers

Chat About Trump Convention This Evening On Newstalkers

Via: looser-too  •  meta  •  39 Comments  •  8 years ago

There is a chatroom set up on Newstalkers for a live chat about the Republican convention which begins the evening program at 5:45 eastern tonight.   (Donald Trump will be nominated and voted in...
The Site Has a Glitch

The Site Has a Glitch

Via: community  •  meta  •  3 Comments  •  8 years ago

Perrie has asked me to inform everyone on the site that there is a glitch with the site and she is presently working on it.  It may take a while to resolve. Dowser 
Bad Idea Came Home to Roost and Sent Me on My Way

Bad Idea Came Home to Roost and Sent Me on My Way

Via: community  •  meta  •  203 Comments  •  8 years ago

Yesterday, NT saw a new "rule/concept" introduced, which, IMO, was fraught with inherent abuse potential; in short order, that abuse materialized and, worse, it became coupled with one annoying...
Snark Free Articles

Snark Free Articles

Via: johnrussell  •  meta  •  75 Comments  •  8 years ago

I have a suggestion. We establish a category, to be called something along the lines of  "Snark-Free". The seeder or author of the article makes the statement either in the article or in one of...
Would You Use "The International Common Law Court of Justice"  As A Source For Your Newstalkers Seed?

Would You Use "The International Common Law Court of Justice" As A Source For Your Newstalkers Seed?

Via: johnrussell  •  meta  •  20 Comments  •  8 years ago

Pope Francis found guilty of child trafficking, rape, murder Yesterday defendants Pope Francis Bergoglio, Catholic Jesuit Superior General Adolfo Pachon and Archbishop of Canterbury Justin...
Some changes on the NT platform

Some changes on the NT platform

Via: perrie-berlin-halpern  •  meta  •  4 Comments  •  8 years ago

Hi Everyone! Last week, there was a major update to the core of this platform. Most of them affect me, but here are some things you should be aware of. Privacy settings/ Followers: There are...
How To Only Post Once

How To Only Post Once

Via: johnrussell  •  meta  •  11 Comments  •  8 years ago

There is a current issue with the "post your comment" button and box not working properly. It doesn't close after you make your comment and hit the "post your comment" button. So people are...
Good News About The Groups

Good News About The Groups

Via: perrie-berlin-halpern  •  meta  •  0 Comments  •  8 years ago

The issue of groups loading slowly has been resolved. Enjoy!
On the nature of spam   ...   by Bob Nelson

On the nature of spam ... by Bob Nelson

Via: bob-nelson  •  meta  •  15 Comments  •  8 years ago

The dictionary says: irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients How does that apply to NewsTalkers? NT does not have "messages". NT has...
Philosophy and Prophecy from North Broad

Philosophy and Prophecy from North Broad

Via: community  •  meta  •  8 Comments  •  8 years ago

It's not like they tore down Independence Hall and put up a laundromat … but what used to be Joe Frazier's Gym on North Broad Street … is now a furniture store … and it makes me sad. Then …...
Is conversation possible on NT?   ...   by Bob Nelson

Is conversation possible on NT? ... by Bob Nelson

Via: bob-nelson  •  meta  •  108 Comments  •  8 years ago

I recently wrote and posted an article called " The Disappointing Success Of Barack Obama ". There were two sections:   -- historical data . Facts concerning the situation when Mr Obama...