╌>

What Personality Type Are You? The MBTI ("Myers Briggs Typology Indicator") - PART I of V

Category:  History & Sociology

By:  krishna  •  7 years ago  •  300 comments

What Personality Type Are You? The MBTI  ("Myers Briggs Typology Indicator") - PART I of V

There are various differing theories of personality-- and personality types. One that I find both interesting and useful is The Myers Briggs Type Indicator. A short answer test is used to determine which of 16 types a person is. I was skeptical at first but after I learned more about it I was surprised to find that I did get some very useful insights into my personality.

There are several good sites on the subject, where you can take the test and then read the description of your type. IMO two of the best websites to start with are:

1.One of the most popular is 16 Personalities. Take the test, then take a look of the description of your type. Is  it a good description of who you are?

2. I also like the former Celebrity Types site. (It just changed its name & format and is now called IDRlabs.com ). You can take the test HERE*, and then click on your type. There is a list of famous people of your type, and another list of people of your type in popular culture. In addition, you can click on "Explore this Type" for a lot more information: links to 2 different articles describing each type, 2 videos describing each type, and more.

Note: none of the sixteen types are "better" or "worse" than any other. And there are "good" people and "bad" people in each type-their type describes the style in which they express their wonderful or horrible nature, not whether the type is good or bad.   (Some historical villains may be indicated for your type-- they are listed with a black background.

*If (it doesn't start with Q1, hit the back button)

Here are the other posts in this series:

MBTI (Myers-Briggs) Part II : What Personality Type Are You? NT users' results revealed! (& some other stuff)

MBTI Myers-Briggs Personality Test - Part III: The "Secret" of each personality type

Part IV has just been posted:    Part IV - Are You A Lot Like Celebrities Of Your Type?

Part V: Starts with the topic of MBTI types and money, but the discussion touches on several other topics as well.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  author  Krishna    7 years ago

Here's the beginning of a description of one of the types-- the INTJ (Introverted, Intuitive, Thinking, Judging):

INTJs at a Glance

Confident, iconoclastic, and determined.

Independent, strong-willed, and intense.

Individualists who devise extensive schemes in their own minds and take great confidence in them.

Maintain a critical attitude with little need to state the good, retaining a constant focus on how things could be improved.

Pursue their goals with a tunnel-vision drive that may come across as neglectful of other people's feelings and views.

(Cont'd)

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  author  Krishna    7 years ago

If you'd like to know your MBTI poersonality type, its best to take the test.

But...here's a bit of a spoiler:

mbti test short boxes.jpeg

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3  sandy-2021492    7 years ago

ISTJ, but there are some things with which I disagree.  For example, it says I'm probably for traditional gender roles in the home.  Nope.  Also says that we tend to know a lot of facts and statistics, but not so much underlying principles, and I disagree on that point.  And unwilling to try new things - nope.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3    7 years ago

Well, we're gonna have to hear what Krish has to say about that? Sandy you are ruining his test, LOL! 

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.2  author  Krishna  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3    7 years ago
ISTJ, but there are some things with which I disagree.  For example, it says I'm probably for traditional gender roles in the home.  Nope.  Also says that we tend to know a lot of facts and statistics, but not so much underlying principles, and I disagree on that point.  And unwilling to try new things - nope.

I should've mentioned that I'm not really an expert on this. I know a bit and find it interesting. Normally I'd spend a lot of time learning the system, but its a system of personality types, and I already have a system I find adequate-- and I've studied that one for over 25 years. (Its quite different, and uses 12 types instead of 16). 

I belong to an MBTI group that meets monthly. Sometimes we start off by discussing the theory a bit, but more often we start by people introducing themselves, telling what type they are, and tellingus about themselves. So most of what I know is not the theory, but rather what different types are like by meeting them. (I'm mainly familiar with the 4 N types). And I resonate quite well with Ns. 

We do have various types intend-- except for one thing. The second letter of the 4 can be either N or S. And we have almost no S types attend. In fact we can go for several months without an S! As a result I am actually not too familiar with S types. 

And of those S types I've met, some of them are really nice people-- but my experfience is that we (me an N) are on  "different wavelength". 

But anyway, I can't really tell you much about S types.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.3  author  Krishna  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3    7 years ago
but there are some things with which I disagree.

Probably the best way to start learning about this is to take a test. But there's a Catch 22-- many people find theb tests inaccurate. (The first few times I took it, I tested as a different type each time).

Many people claim that that, if you are a fairly self-aware person, the best way to find your type may be to read the descriptions of each type and see which you identify with!

One short cut may be to read the short descriptions in the boxes above (comment #2) then pick 1 or 2 (maybe 3) you feel represent who you are, and read the longer descriptions on one of these two sites (16 types or IDTR.labs.com). 

(P.S: a description of your type can not be totally accurate in just a few words, but do the words in the white box matrix above (comment #2) capture the essence of who you are? "Most responsible", "rules and regs", "doing what must be done" "trustworthy" "organizer" "practical"). Also my sense is reliable, conventional, prefers to stick to the tried and true-- not trying untested new ideas?)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3    7 years ago

I, too, discovered that I was ISTJ.  However, many of the questions provided two possibilities and I was not happy to accept either one, but was forced to choose or the test would not continue.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.4.2  author  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.4    7 years ago
I, too, discovered that I was ISTJ.  However, many of the questions provided two possibilities and I was not happy to accept either one, but was forced to choose or the test would not continue.

I will post another test tomorrow-- its structured a bit differently than most of the standard tests (but in some ways I like it better than most of the standard MBTI tests). 

Also one structured as a flow chart--  IIRC you only have to answer, maybe, from 3 to 5 or 6 questions. (Its supposed to be humorous but I find it to be fairly accurate).

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.4.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to    7 years ago

I took the other test. There were only two choices.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.4.4  author  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.4.3    7 years ago
There were only two choices.

Well, you know what Yogi Berri said about having only two choices:

If you come to a fork in the road-- take it!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.4.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @3.4.4    7 years ago

Okay, I took it.

fork.jpg

Now what?

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
3.4.6  lennylynx  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.4.5    7 years ago

The results came in and say you are the 'crotchety old geezer' type! Happy   Just ribbin' ya Buzz, but watch me get nailed for my light-hearted humor, I did call you a name after all.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.4.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  lennylynx @3.4.6    7 years ago

I can't flag you for an ad hominem when what you say is right. I AM a crotchety old geezer.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.4.8  sandy-2021492  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.4    7 years ago

I think my problem was that there were questions about things like "Are you comfortable introducing yourself?" and "Do yo initiate conversations?" where habit from my job is actually at conflict with my personality.  No, I ordinarily wouldn't start conversations socially, unless I were with someone I know well.  But at work, I've learned to keep up a steady stream of small talk to put patients at ease, and I'm accustomed to introducing myself.  Nature vs. nurture, I guess.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
3.4.9  lennylynx  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.4.7    7 years ago

Lol, thanks for being a sport Buzz, but I still might get nailed if someone else flags it, we shall see...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.4.10  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  lennylynx @3.4.9    7 years ago

I have a lot of long time friends, but I'm sure they'll see I took part in the joke.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
3.4.12  Spikegary  replied to  lennylynx @3.4.9    7 years ago

I thought you were saying YOU were a crotchety old geezer.  Buzz is a good guy, don't let the label fool you.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.4.13  author  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.4    7 years ago
I, too, discovered that I was ISTJ.  However, many of the questions provided two possibilities and I was not happy to accept either one,

There;s a tremendous amount of information about the MBTI on the 'Net-- much of which you won't find on the "standard" sites. It ranges from worthless, even misleading . . .  to genius. 

Here's some information about lawyers & the MBTI-- I am not familiar with that topic nor the site-- but its looks interesting. An excerpt:

Since I wrote the Lawyer Personality post, I’ve learned a few things about the MBTI, so I figured it was time to do some more sharing. Much of my research for this post comes from   Dr. Larry Richard, J.D. , who works at Hildebrandt Baker Robbins helping law firms and legal departments on people issues. I take full responsibility for screwing up any of the info he gave me.

Let’s start with   The Lawyer Types , an   article   Richard wrote for the ABA Journal in July 1993. Even though the article is nearly of legal voting age, the data in it remains basically valid, Richard assures me. Personality types in law have not significantly changed since 1993. Hardly surprising in a change-resistant profession, is it?

The top 6 MBTI types found in lawyers are:

ISTJ (17.8%)

ESTJ (10.3%)

INTJ (13.1%)

ENTP (9.7%)

INTP (9.4%)

ENTJ (9.0)

Interesting article, here's the rest of it (LINK).

So I'd say the odds are strong that you're an ISTJ. (I will be posting another MBTI test I like. But you can probably go with ISTJ for now-- and I recommend reading up on the descriptions (Note every single item will not be 100% accurate, but rather look at the overall picture it presents).

(cont'd in next comment)

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.4.14  author  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @3.4.13    7 years ago

1. This is perhaps the most popular site and IMO is one of the best:

Here are the 16 types

ISTJ Personality (“Logistician”)

“---> ISTJ = THE LOGISTICIAN”

ISTJ (-A/-T) Practical and fact-minded individuals, whose reliability cannot be doubted.

2. The other site I use a lot-- lots of information! (Also has examples of famous people of each type).

Here are the celebrity ISTJs-- lots of information!

But most of the info on the site is on other pages-- to access, click on the link in the upper right corner "Explore this Type". 

Buzz, after you finis looking it all over-- does it do a good job of describing you?

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.4.15  author  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.4.7    7 years ago
I AM a crotchety old geezer.

Isn't that an oxymoron?

No-- don't flag this... I wasn't calling Buzz a moron.

I was just wondering-- is there actually such a thing as a crotchety young geezer? There might be that sort of person , but I don't thin k he'd be called that, because geezer is an old person

By the way-- that sort of fondness for wordplay-- and attention to trivial details and splitting hairs, is typical of NT types. (Think Sheldon in The Big Bang Theory...actually I believe most of the cast are one sort of xNTx or another of the cast except Penny...she's just a real DITZ )

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.4.16  author  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.4    7 years ago

What did you think of the "humorous" test in comment 2? (Its more accurate than it first appears to be-- plus its quicker!)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.4.17  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @3.4.14    7 years ago

Interesting info - I really do fit the description. Well at least it explains why I like the movie stars that I do. However, although I felt very comfortable in my profession for a long time, until the stress affected me so badly that I retired for medical reasons (true that a ISTJ does not look after themselves in that regard).  However, Law was not my first choice. In fact my first choice was Medicine but I got booted out of pre-meds because I flunked Calculus (I never opened the text or even went to Calculus lectures and achieved the lowest mark in that course in the history of the university - at least I made history). So I switched to Arts (not losing a year thankfully) and when I got my B.A. I looked for the course that would take the longest possible time to no longer be a student, could make a good living at it, and that was Law, so I didn't choose it for altruistic reasons.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.4.18  Raven Wing  replied to  Krishna @3.4.14    7 years ago

According to this site as an ISFJ I an a "Defender"  . While I can't disagree with the definition on this site, I think the first test results better defined me. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.4.19  author  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.4.17    7 years ago
However, Law was not my first choice. In fact my first choice was Medicine

On vocational tests beginning in 6th grade,,and for years thereafter-- I scored highest on Law, Medicine and Science.

(BTW I'm not a ISTJ, am fairly different actually. I am strongly  ENTP, although sometimes I slip into INTP mode... strong "thinking" as well as "Intuiition")

I wanted to go into medicine, but decided not to because (at least back then) I was queasy at the thought of seeing all that blood!).

I thought I both like being a lawyer and also that I'd be good at it. But somehow I got sidetracked. 

(Someone did suggest Forensic Medicine).

When I entered college (undergrad) I wanted to be a chemist for life and majored in it. But then changed..

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.4.20  author  Krishna  replied to  Raven Wing @3.4.18    7 years ago
According to this site as an ISFJ I an a "Defender"  . While I can't disagree with the definition on this site, I think the first test results better defined me.

Sometimes different tests give slightly different results. (Also, strictly speaking. I believe  the MBTI says a person is just one type. But I think you can be two types (with one being dominant-- I'm strongly ENTP-- but at times I am really very INTP. The two types are very similar but there are a few key differences).).

Many people I know that are knowledgable about the MBTI system say they don't think the tests are all that great. If a person is very self-aware-- its often more accurate to look at the type descriptions and see which fits you best)

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3.4.21  pat wilson  replied to  Krishna @3.4.20    7 years ago
But I think you can be two types

I think so too. I struggled with some of the answers because of that. I was of both minds with some of the questions.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.4.22  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @3.4.15    7 years ago

Not an oxymoron, perhaps a redundancy.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.4.23  Raven Wing  replied to  pat wilson @3.4.21    7 years ago

I had the same experience, Pat. With some questions I agreed with them both to a degree, but, as I could only choose one, I chose the one that I felt I related to the most. A couple I didn't really agree with either one, but, again, I had to choose one, so I chose the one that I disagreed with the least. In all, I think it was a fair test, a sit made you look into yourself to think about how you really felt about the questions and the answers. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3.4.24  pat wilson  replied to  Raven Wing @3.4.23    7 years ago

It definitely made you think about how you interact with others.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.4.25  Raven Wing  replied to  pat wilson @3.4.24    7 years ago

Very true. Some of the answers the questions provided surprised me, as I had to really think hard to look inside myself to see how I really felt about them. A very interesting test. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.4.26  author  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.4.5    7 years ago
Now what?

Well, now that you took the fork, you have to find some things to stick it in to see if they are done!

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.4.27  author  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.4.22    7 years ago
Not an oxymoron, perhaps a redundancy.

You're right! 

I suppose a "young geezer" would be an oxymoron---- an "old geezer" is definitely a redundancy.

So I wonder---what would you call a middle-aged geezer? (Would that be anything like the sound of one hand clapping?)

Maybe an onomotopoeia? I don't know what that word means but it does sound impressive. 

Or am I mixing my metaphors (actually I prefer my metaphors stirred, not shaken)

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.4.28  author  Krishna  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.4.8    7 years ago
I think my problem was that there were questions about things like "Are you comfortable introducing yourself?" and "Do yo initiate conversations?" where habit from my job is actually at conflict with my personality.  No, I ordinarily wouldn't start conversations socially, unless I were with someone I know well.  But at work, I've learned to keep up a steady stream of small talk to put patients at ease, and I'm accustomed to introducing myself.  Nature vs. nurture, I guess.

Since this is a test of your basic personality (and not some learned behaviour ) you should go with No and No.

Even if a few answers are "incorrect" it shouldn't matter if the test is sound.

(These sorts of No answers should raise your score as an I and lower it on E.)

And I recommend doing the "flow chart" and looking at the bieif descriptions in the white boxes. Nearer the top of the page).)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.4.29  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @3.4.27    7 years ago

I think we're both wrong.  Here is the dictionary.com definition:

noun, Slang.
an odd or eccentric man:
"the old geezer who sells shoelaces on the corner."
I think I can now verify factually that lennylynx was right.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.4.30  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @3.4.26    7 years ago

Actually, I usually use chopsticks these days.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.4.31  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @3.4.19    7 years ago
"I wanted to go into medicine, but decided not to because (at least back then) I was queasy at the thought of seeing all that blood!)."

Due to the mess I made dissecting the embryo pig I realized I would never be a surgeon - I could have made Dr. Mengele jealous.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.4.32  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @3.4.27    7 years ago
"Maybe an onomotopoeia? I don't know what that word means but it does sound impressive."

Ha!  That was one of the two words I had to spell out loud in class in grade 6. The other one was conscientiousness.  However, you erred in your spelling of onomatopoeia (which, by the way, means words that sound like the sound they describe, e.g. 'scratch', 'crackle', etc.)

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.4.33  sandy-2021492  replied to  Krishna @3.4.28    7 years ago
Even if a few answers are "incorrect" it shouldn't matter if the test is sound.

It probably didn't.  I assume those relate to whether I'm an introvert or an extrovert, and I still tested as an introvert, which is something I already knew.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.4.34  author  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.4.32    7 years ago
However, you erred in your spelling of onomatopoeia

It sounds like you might be right! :-)

When I first started using the Internet I meticulous about my posts. If I wasn't sure about my spelling or grammar I checked to see if it was correct. And also with facts-- if I assumed something was correct but wasn't sure, I also checked that. (In general xNTx types tend to be interested in getting the facts straight. (And also for us its important to be logical). And Astrologically I have a lot of Virgo energy in my chart-- Virgoes seek perfection and are known for their attention to details).

But recently, especially in an article like this (where I want to make many, many comments) I prioritize speed in commenting over accuracy in spelling and grammar. Prioritize getting the idea across. 

On rare occasions I do know the correct spelling but make typos....and lately I've become much less concerned about those.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.4.35  author  Krishna  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.4.33    7 years ago
I'm an introvert or an extrovert

I think a lot of people test very close to the line between the two types-- i.e. they are not predominantly a strong extrovert nor a strong introvert. 

In fact, I'm one of those-- I slightly more extroverted (ENTP) but at times more introverted (INTP).

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.4.36  author  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.4.17    7 years ago
Interesting info - I really do fit the description. Well at least it explains why I like the movie stars that I do. However, although I felt very comfortable in my profession for a long time, until the stress affected me so badly that I retired for medical reasons (true that a ISTJ does not look after themselves in that regard).  However, Law was not my first choice. In fact my first choice was Medicine but . . . 

Well, of course for a variety of reasons many people do not end up in the profession they're most suited for. And in addition, many people do not end up in the profession they would prefer.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.4.37  author  Krishna  replied to  pat wilson @3.4.21    7 years ago
I think so too. I struggled with some of the answers because of that. I was of both minds with some of the questions.

Actually there's no doubt in my mind that I am both an ENTP and an INTP.  Both types have a lot of similarities, but there are some significant differences (and that goes beyond merely being an introvert or extrovert).

Rather than alwaysbeing "an average" of the two types-- I usually am strongly in one mode ot the other-- than go through periods of being the other one..

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.4.38  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @3.4.34    7 years ago

I must have Virgo rising, or some other connection to it because I'm one of those persons who can't look at a picture that isn't hanging straight - I will always go over and adjust it. Being a perfectionist served me well in the drafting of legal documents, and the review of others' work, however, that perfectionism has waned with my advancing years - as you can tell from many mistakes I make in my typing. Like you, Krishna, I used to be really careful and correct everything but now I really can't bother.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.4.39  author  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.4.38    7 years ago
I must have Virgo rising, or some other connection to it because I'm one of those persons who can't look at a picture that isn't hanging straight - I will always go over and adjust it. Being a perfectionist served me well in the drafting of legal documents, and the review of others' work, however, that perfectionism has waned with my advancing years - as you can tell from many mistakes I make in my typing. Like you, Krishna, I used to be really careful and correct everything but now I really can't bother.

Virgos tend to be perfectionists, and they are also known for their careful attention to details. They also tend to be judgemental 

However specifically wanting a picture to be straight can be a Libra trait-- they like everything to be balanced. (Aesthetically they tend not to  like asymetry of any sort). -The also like things to be "beautiful"-- often they are interested in art or are artists themselves.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.4.40  sandy-2021492  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.4.38    7 years ago

I was at a conference about a month ago, in a really nice hotel.  One hallway had wallpaper with vertical stripes, and a crooked picture.  Drove me nuts, because I tried to straighten it, but couldn't.  They'd bolted it to the wall.  Crooked.  Even with vertical stripes to guide them.  Ugh!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.4.41  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.4.40    7 years ago

Looks like we have more than one thing in common. LOL

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.4.42  author  Krishna  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.4.40    7 years ago
I was at a conference about a month ago, in a really nice hotel.  One hallway had wallpaper with vertical stripes, and a crooked picture.  Drove me nuts, because I tried to straighten it, but couldn't.  They'd bolted it to the wall.  Crooked.  Even with vertical stripes to guide them.  Ugh!

You may have some Vrgo in your Astrological chart. Virgos are obsessed with balance. And harmony.  (Virgo is the the old fashioned balance beam scales). 

Also, ISTJ's like things that are perhaps more traditional...conventional. Balanced. They tend not to like radically new ideas...things that may be upsetting and "out of balance".. very far out radical ideas...

(The J in ISTJ means  "judgemental"--- and of course judgement is something lawyers deal with all the time. And the raditional representation  justice has that scale in the picture):

tarotjustice.jpg

and 

justiceandgavel.JPG

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.4.43  author  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @3.4.42    7 years ago

The Astrological sign of Libra seeks balance and harmony-- its symbol (in green here) represents an old-fashioned balance scale:

libra.jpg

Just putting out some ideas here for consideration (people who aren't into symbolism. people who take things literally,  may not agree...)

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.4.44  sandy-2021492  replied to  Krishna @3.4.42    7 years ago

I think it's either hereditary, or nurture, due to my dad.  He was born in December, and I was born in February, so different astrological signs, but we're both picture straighteners.  He gets out his level to straighten pictures.  It used to drive him batty that all of the pictures in the living room looked crooked, even when the bubble said they were fine.  When he had some work done to the house, it turns out that  nothing in that house is square.  Pictures will always look crooked.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
3.4.45  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.4.44    7 years ago

You both would have a hard time at Mystery Hill N.C.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.4.46  sandy-2021492  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @3.4.45    7 years ago

There's a similar attraction in our home state of WV:

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
3.4.47  mocowgirl  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.4.44    7 years ago
nothing in that house is square.  Pictures will always look crooked.

I hung wallpaper in an old house.  I will most likely never hang wallpaper again, but if I do, it won't have a pattern that has to be matched.  There was a significant amount of waste as the wall heights changed at an alarming rate from one side of the room to the other.  

It is only because I am currently married to a man who does a moderate amount of carpenter work that I learned the importance of using a level in building. 

I realize that building settle over time, but evidently, I am not alone in "eyeballing" level according to some repair jobs that my husband has undertaken.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.4.48  author  Krishna  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.4.40    7 years ago

In Astrology that would be an indication of strong Libra energy in your chart-- which could be a Sun or Moon or Rising sign in Libra. (Or certain house placements or aspects to Venus)

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
3.4.49  Dowser  replied to  Krishna @3.4.48    7 years ago

A crooked picture, or crooked wall paper, drives me nuts too.  I once was looking at houses to buy, and this one house had a different color and different crooked wallpaper all through the house, in each room.  I could barely walk down the hall, it gave me such vertigo!

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.4.50  author  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.4.5    7 years ago
Now what?

Aha!

An excellent question! 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.4.51  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @3.4.50    7 years ago

That depends upon to what you are applying the question.  It's already been answered once. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.4.52  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @3.4.35    7 years ago

Does that mean you're unstable?

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.4.53  author  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.4.5    6 years ago

kay, I took it.

fork.jpg

Now what?

Here's what's next:

220px-RandiFork.jpg

Speaking of psychic fork bending (doing it entirely by the power of your mind) has anyone heard of Uri Geller?

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.5  author  Krishna  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3    7 years ago
ISTJ, but there are some things with which I disagree.

I've had a lot of experience using psychological and similar tests. What I discovered over the years is that in any description listing several items about any given type, the odds are you will find a few specific items that you won't think are valid. But the proper use of this system is to look at the overall picture painted by the description-- not giving weight to each specific item.

(For example, if someone described an Introvert by listed 10 or 15 traits of Introverts, the description might sound really accurate and be really accurate-- but in all likelihood there might be one trait listed that you or I would disagree with.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.6  author  Krishna  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3    6 years ago
but there are some things with which I disagree.

No system of personality classification is perfect.

One problem is that psychology is not a science (even though some in the field think it is, lol).

There are flaws in this one-- but I was surprised to find I gained some useful insights into myself from studying it. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4  Raven Wing    7 years ago

OK...I just took the test and here is the results:

Jans type.jpg

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Raven Wing @4    7 years ago

Do you agree Raven?

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1    7 years ago

It tends to be a bit too praise worthy of me in my humble opinion to some extent, however, I think overall it pretty much describes my basic way of thinking and personality. As someone who has had to carry a large load of responsibility for many people most of my life, there was little room for error and mistakes could be very costly in many different ways. I am not necessarily the smartest apple on the tree, but, there were many lessons that had to be learned in order to accomplish the things that needed to be done to take care of those who depended on me. 

So yeah....I think I do agree.  (smile)

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Raven Wing @4.1.1    7 years ago

Good :)

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.3  author  Krishna  replied to  Raven Wing @4.1.1    7 years ago

RW-- can you relate to this video at all?

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.1.4  Raven Wing  replied to  Krishna @4.1.3    7 years ago

Yes, I can relate to the video very much so. In many ways it covers many various aspects of who I am.  (smile)

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.5  author  Krishna  replied to  Raven Wing @4.1.1    7 years ago

RW I don't know as much about "S" types as "N" types, but from what I know of you on NT, I think you definitely are an ISFJ.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.6  author  Krishna  replied to  Raven Wing @4.1.1    7 years ago

RW I think your test results are accurate-- you have many wonderful qualities but are too humble to admit it! :-)

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.1.7  Raven Wing  replied to  Krishna @4.1.6    7 years ago

Dear Krishna, thank you for your very kind words, they truly do humble me. I have lived my life with an open mind and open heart. 

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children and grandchildren. So we must all do our part to leave a better world for them to carry on from. (smile) 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
4.2  pat wilson  replied to  Raven Wing @4    7 years ago

I had the same result as you, Raven Wing. I'm in good company.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.2.1  Raven Wing  replied to  pat wilson @4.2    7 years ago

YEA!!!!!! Thanks, Pat! I am glad I am not the only one that is ISFJ. And thank you, I am indeed in good company as well! thumbs up

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  Raven Wing @4    7 years ago

My results:    

Personality Type Test

Your personality type is:

ISFP

Patient, tolerant, and easy-going, you have a strong core of deep personal values which you use to guide you through life. In your everyday state, you are mild and harmonic and you prefer to meet people in an open and trusting exchange where each of you makes a sincere effort to understand and tolerate the other, seeing each other for what you really are and refraining from imposing foreign and customary expectations and stereotypes upon each other. Deeply passionate about your own projects, and sometimes slow to open up to others, you may at times come across as reserved and delicate to those who do not know you well. On the inside, however, you tend to harbor a deep-running river of values and warmth which you seek to be true to above all. In fact, though your usual outer demeanor usually appears laid-back and flexible, you can become positively perfectionist in the service of those inner ideals that you passionately regard as your own. Since you are more attuned to being true to your own values than to hashing out right and wrong in contentious debates, your natural mode of socialization appears to be one of "live and let live" in which you seek harmony and mutual respect with others so that they may in turn respect you and the values that are pivotal to your inner life. However, the world may not always reciprocate your goodwill in kind, and it is for this reason that you prefer to remain a bit on your guard until you can be sure they will accept you for who you really are.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.3.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.3    7 years ago

It couldn’t have described me more accurately.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.3.2  author  Krishna  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.3    7 years ago

Have you seen the description of ISFP in this NT seed:?  MBTI Myers-Briggs Personality Test - Part III: The "Secret" Of Each Personality Type. There's some in depth information re: the ISFP type.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.3.3  author  Krishna  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.3    7 years ago

I don't remember  if you saw Part II- - but there's a list of some NT members who took the test and what type they are. (IIRC, there are 2 other ISFP type people here on NT-- at least amongst those who took the test and decided to mention their results).

This also may be of interest-- just above that, you can click on the link to your type in "Best Fit Type" for another perspective. (If you do, after you click on that link scroll down after the blank area for more info).

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5  Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

OK I took this once before a long time ago and I didn't come out this way.. maybe a mood?

CAMPAIGNER PERSONALITY (ENFP, -A/-T)

The Campaigner personality is a true free spirit. They are often the life of the party, but unlike types in the Explorer Role group, Campaigners are less interested in the sheer excitement and pleasure of the moment than they are in enjoying the social and emotional connections they make with others. Charming, independent, energetic and compassionate, the 7% of the population that they comprise can certainly be felt in any crowd.

Campaigners are fiercely independent, and much more than stability and security, they crave creativity and freedom.

Many other types are likely to find these qualities irresistible, and if they’ve found a cause that sparks their imagination, Campaigners will bring an energy that oftentimes thrusts them into the spotlight, held up by their peers as a leader and a guru – but this isn’t always where independence-loving Campaigners want to be. Worse still if they find themselves beset by the administrative tasks and routine maintenance that can accompany a leadership position. Campaigners’ self-esteem is dependent on their ability to come up with original solutions, and they need to know that they have the freedom to be innovative – they can quickly lose patience or become dejected if they get trapped in a boring role.

Don’t Lose That ’Little Spark of Madness’

Luckily, Campaigners know how to relax, and they are perfectly capable of switching from a passionate, driven idealist in the workplace to that imaginative and enthusiastic free spirit on the dance floor, often with a suddenness that can surprise even their closest friends. Being in the mix also gives them a chance to connect emotionally with others, giving them cherished insight into what motivates their friends and colleagues. They believe that everyone should take the time to recognize and express their feelings, and their empathy and sociability make that a natural conversation topic.

The Campaigner personality type needs to be careful, however – if they rely too much on their intuition, assume or anticipate too much about a friend’s motivations, they can misread the signals and frustrate plans that a more straightforward approach would have made simple. This kind of social stress is the bugbear that keeps harmony-focused Diplomats awake at night. Campaigners are very emotional and sensitive, and when they step on someone’s toes, they both feel it.

Campaigners will spend a lot of time exploring social relationships, feelings and ideas before they find something that really rings true. But when they finally do find their place in the world, their imagination, empathy and courage are likely to produce incredible results.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5    7 years ago

How about you? Do you agree with this one Perrie? (smile)

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Raven Wing @5.1    7 years ago

You know, I would have to say yes. I don't remember the outcome of the last test, but I know I didn't think it was really me. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.1    7 years ago

Yeah....some of these types of tests can be so broad that maybe one or two things might sort of fit a person, but, are not really a true picture of the individual. Others can be very pretty much on point overall.  And, there are times when we can find out things about ourselves that we didn't really think we were that give us some personal enlightenment of ourselves. I find it interesting to see what our own ideals and thoughts reveal about ourselves.

(smile)

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.3  author  Krishna  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.1    7 years ago
You know, I would have to say yes. I don't remember the outcome of the last test, but I know I didn't think it was really me.

Here are 2 "quick & easy" type tests-- do the flow chart in comment #5.3.1., then look at the short description in the white boxes in comment #5.3.1.., results are often more accurate then you'd think by looking at them.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Krishna @5.1.3    7 years ago

Thanks!

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.5  author  Krishna  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.1    7 years ago

I believe the previous time you took it you came out as an ENFJ. (This time as an ENFP).

Part III of this series (posted on NT) is mainly videos-- especially those about the "secret" quality of each type. ENFP is in comment #5, scroll down its just below INFP:

Here's a link to: ENFP Personality Type Secret.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.2  mocowgirl  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5    7 years ago
OK I took this once before a long time ago and I didn't come out this way.. maybe a mood?

Or maybe the test.

I also took the test at the link below.  I had the same results.   I was INTJ-A "The Architect".

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2.1  author  Krishna  replied to  mocowgirl @5.2    7 years ago

Can you relate to this video?

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.2.2  mocowgirl  replied to  Krishna @5.2.1    7 years ago

Oh, yeah.

I just off the phone with my INTJ daughter and worked through her latest frustrations with people who produce and/or accept mediocrity over perfection!  LOL!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.2.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  mocowgirl @5.2    7 years ago

This test, or some version of it, is actually used by psychologist, so it must have some validity. 

epistte
Junior Guide
5.2.4  epistte  replied to  mocowgirl @5.2.2    7 years ago
I just off the phone with my INTJ daughter and worked through her latest frustrations with people who produce and/or accept mediocrity over perfection!

My daughter is an ENTJ. We share many of the same geek traits.

epistte
Junior Guide
5.2.5  epistte  replied to  mocowgirl @5.2    7 years ago

That test says that I am an

Logician (INTP-t)

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.2.6  mocowgirl  replied to  epistte @5.2.5    7 years ago

Bill Gates and Einstein identify as INTP, also.  Cool.

I often find it difficult to explain to people that I am "on topic" if they would just allow me to explain the hundred degrees of separation involved in my thought process.  LOL!

How about you?

When INTPs are particularly excited, the conversation can border on incoherence as they try to explain the daisy-chain of logical conclusions that led to the formation of their latest idea. Oftentimes, INTPs will opt to simply move on from a topic before it’s ever understood what they were trying to say, rather than try to lay things out in plain terms.

The reverse can also be true when people explain their thought processes to INTPs in terms of subjectivity and feeling. Imagine an immensely complicated clockwork, taking in every fact and idea possible, processing them with a heavy dose of creative reasoning and returning the most logically sound results available – this is how the INTP mind works, and this type has little tolerance for an emotional monkey-wrench jamming their machines.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5.2.7  Raven Wing  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.2.3    7 years ago

Hmm.....I kinda feel like the odd person out, as from what I see so far, I am the only ISFJ among those who have taken the test.  $%^)@%(^

epistte
Junior Guide
5.2.8  epistte  replied to  mocowgirl @5.2.6    7 years ago

I have a hard time with peoples emotions.  I have learned to separate my emotions from the facts and I wish I knew how to teach others to do likewise. 

I had a crappy day because I had to deal with too many people. I wish that there was a way that I could shut off the logical lobes of my brain because if I could do that then maybe I could interact with the general public on their own terms.  I really hate stupid people and it is worse when they are in positions of power.

I am playing phone tag with 2 people and it is driving me crazy. The idea of still playing phone tag with people because their voicemail is full and they don't text and don't like email is frustrating beyond belief. I love email because I don't have to communicate with them directly, and I can completely answer all of their questions on my own time. 

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.2.9  mocowgirl  replied to  epistte @5.2.8    7 years ago
maybe I could interact with the general public on their own terms.

Ditto to all the frustrations that you expressed.

I cannot work with the general public without it harming my mental and physical health.

I never was good at playing politics with anyone.  However, I was wonderful when I worked logistics with streamlining processes and identifying glitches in the computer system that were costing hundreds of thousands of dollars a month.

My preferred job was working on a farm / ranch.  I had to deal with very few people.  The major downside was it was very dangerous working with large animals.  I became an adrenaline junkie and acquired the "ten feet tall and bulletproof" attitude that worked well on the ranch with the livestock, but, of course, is unacceptable in the kiss butt corporate world where people seem to be stuck re-living their junior high days of feeling dazed and confused being led by jocks and cheerleaders.

I was once asked to train people - my reply "You have got to be kidding me."

I received one promotion in logistics because no one else in the department would even apply for the job.  I was told I had the position.  My reply was "What's in it for me?".   I was told that I could do the job.  My reply was "I can do any job in the department.  So I ask again, what is in it for me?"  I wound up with a $1 more an hour and an assistant.  It turned out to be a fluff job.  Although I had no need to use Access in my job, I spent time learning and playing in Access because I was bored.  :o)

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5.2.10  Raven Wing  replied to  mocowgirl @5.2.9    7 years ago
Although I had no need to use Access in my job, I spent time learning and playing in Access because I was bored

I have also been an Access database developer for several years. I developed a one of a kind Access database to record FRA and CPU required Wayside equipment inspections for San Diego Trolley Inc when I worked there as Admin Asst to the Superintendent of Wayside Maint. It was a year long process to enter all the switches, signals, grade crossing, substations and Track sections of the entire system at the time, but, it was a first of its kind for Trolley and no other Light Rail Transit system had anything like it. While it was a long term project, it was a labor of love. And it made the job of the Supervisors a lot easier to keep track which inspections had been completed and which were due. 

I have a few such databases I created for myself for various projects, as well as several small businesses, and taught it at two Community Colleges in No VA when I lived there. I love the app. (smile)

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.2.11  mocowgirl  replied to  Raven Wing @5.2.10    7 years ago
While it was a long term project, it was a labor of love.

To me, that is what a job should be - a labor of love.  We feel satisfaction/achievement and society reaps the benefit of having a content, stable population.

I told my husband about these discussions when we went grocery shopping today.  I see a need to have more counselors help students identify career possibilities for their natural aptitudes and also tasks that give them satisfaction.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2.12  author  Krishna  replied to  mocowgirl @5.2    7 years ago
I also took the test at the link below.  I had the same results.   I was INTJ-A "The Architect".

I may have forgotten to mention this-- everyone's MBTI type consists of only 4 letters. Ignore the -A/-T. For some reason that site puts that at the end of all the types!(I don't know why,mperaos I shoud find out why(. But the type is only 4 letters.

1. The first letter is E or I (extroversion or extroversion)

2nd is N or S Intuitive or Sensing 

3rd is T or F (Thinking or Feeling)

4th is P or J (Perceving or Judging). 

(Note; In this system you can be both thinking and Intuiting. But not both Thinking and Feeling)

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5.2.13  Raven Wing  replied to  mocowgirl @5.2.11    7 years ago

When I was an Instructor at the two Community Colleges I taught the Microsoft Vista and Office 2007 applications. I was self taught in all of the apps, but, did have some help from a couple of the MS Access MVP's when I first started to learn that app. 

In addition to being an Instructor at the Community Colleges, I was a Private Tutor for them for students who were not able to attend the classes at the CC's, as well as teaching the Office apps to the admin employees at the City of Culpeper VA. Working out of my car was not an easy thing to do, but, I was never bored. (grin) 

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.2.14  mocowgirl  replied to  Krishna @5.2.12    7 years ago

I believe the A is for Assertive and T is for Turbulent.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2.15  author  Krishna  replied to  mocowgirl @5.2.2    7 years ago
I just off the phone with my INTJ daughter and worked through her latest frustrations with people who produce and/or accept mediocrity over perfection!  LOL!

I've known a lot of INTJs who think they are superior to everyone else-- usually they're right! Wwell, at least intellectually. When it comes to thinking rationally, and being to see the way to produce results where most other types can't.

Sometimes at work  they are forced  to sit around and listen to other peoples' ideas and suggestions (which they already have thought of---and have already figured out that those "solutions" won't work.  And they've already figured out a solution that will work-- but have to listen to those unworkable ideas anyway. They become bored, and frustrated. And sometime quietly let loose with that sarcasm that INTJs are so famous for :-)

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2.16  author  Krishna  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.2.3    7 years ago
This test, or some version of it, is actually used by psychologist, so it must have some validity.

Well, there are some tests that are pretty good, but do have some flaws. (As is the case with many psychologists as well :-)

epistte
Junior Guide
5.2.17  epistte  replied to  mocowgirl @5.2.11    7 years ago
I see a need to have more counselors help students identify career possibilities for their natural aptitudes and also tasks that give them satisfaction.

100% agreement. These tests should be part of HS college placement and vocational classes.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.18  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  mocowgirl @5.2.11    7 years ago

"I see a need to have more counselors help students identify career possibilities for their natural aptitudes and also tasks that give them satisfaction"

I think you're right. When I took an aptitude test I was told I was best suited to be a farmer. I ended up being a lawyer but eventually I think I would have been a lot happier as a farmer.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.2.19  mocowgirl  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.2.18    7 years ago
I ended up being a lawyer but eventually I think I would have been a lot happier as a farmer.

The grass is always greener - except when it is too wet, too dry, too hot, too cold, etc.

Every vocation has it negatives.  Farming requires doing what needs to be done daily with continually staying up to date with market trends, new products, new regulations, surviving bad years and budgeting for them (hopefully) by setting back enough profits from the good years.

I used to attempt to explain to city folks why people do not farm in the hopes of becoming wealthy.  Some like it and some were raised to do it and even inherited the family farm.  Depending on the type of farming, there is either daily work, or short bursts of intensive work and a lot of wait and see.

I was raised on a small dairy farm and we also had under 100 beef cows.  Work was 365 days a year.  We never took a vacation.  The milk cows had to be milked twice a day.  In winter, they all had to be fed hay and/or silage.  I swore that if I ever got away from that dairy, I would never earn a living on a dairy farm.  I have kept that promise.  Working on a ranch had better hours and enough down time to take vacations. :o)

My daughter wanted to be a lawyer, but wound up working in the corporate world.  She has been financially successful, but is looking for ways to start her own business.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.20  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  mocowgirl @5.2.19    7 years ago

I'm sure you're right. At least I was able to take vacations. LOL

These days in Canada, howoever, one could enjoy ALL the possible benefits of life if they had a legal marijuana farm. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2.21  author  Krishna  replied to  epistte @5.2.4    7 years ago
My daughter is an ENTJ

I've known a lot of the other three NT types, but not many ENTJs. The impression I get is that are powerful & effective leaders. (Sometimes,  perhaps, like "an INTJ on steroids").

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2.22  author  Krishna  replied to  Raven Wing @5.2.7    7 years ago
Hmm.....I kinda feel like the odd person out, as from what I see so far, I am the only ISFJ among those who have taken the test.

I believe that since then, Pat Wilson has taken the test and tested as an ISFJ as well ...?

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2.23  author  Krishna  replied to  mocowgirl @5.2.6    7 years ago
I often find it difficult to explain to people that I am "on topic" if they would just allow me to explain the hundred degrees of separation involved in my thought process.  LOL!

I think all four NT types love pursuing information-- and looking into things in much more depth than other types.  Therefore they know a lot about anything they've investigated.  When trying to explain this to other types,it often too much information at once. Some of them  might communicate better if, when giving forth information, they did it one piece at a time. 

For example, on a site like Newstalkers, an xNTx might post long comments-- with one single comment making several points. Other xNTx types can handle that, but it would probably better for NT types to make only one point (one concept) in a single comment-- rather than 5 or 6!)

In addition, most XNTX minds works very quickly-- they can handle a lot of data at once, as well as fairly quickly seeing patterns and connections between seemingly unrelated pieces of data. To explain it to other types would usually take a lot of time and effort because the different types process information differently than they do. 

Finally, many XNTX types "think different"-- so it is often difficult to explain their thought processes to other types who don't think the same way most XNTX do.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2.24  author  Krishna  replied to  mocowgirl @5.2.14    7 years ago
I believe the A is for Assertive and T is for Turbulent.

Perhaps not for everyone-- but certainly for an INTJ! :-)

(Probably for ENTJ as well...)

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5.2.25  Raven Wing  replied to  Krishna @5.2.22    7 years ago

Yes, and just a little bit ago PJ posted that she is also a ISFJ type. So now I and in great company. (smile) 

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2.26  author  Krishna  replied to  mocowgirl @5.2.9    7 years ago
I was once asked to train people - my reply "You have got to be kidding me."

Training people who are not logical in their thinking would drive you crazy. (One possible exception-- it would probably work out well if the class was limited to NT types-- as y'all would mostly be on the same wavelength. But in many organizations there might not be enough of them to form a class).

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
5.2.27  mocowgirl  replied to  Krishna @5.2.26    7 years ago
Training people who are not logical in their thinking would drive you crazy.

Maybe.  I actually did spend time helping anyone who asked me for assistance in understanding how to build truck loads according to cube and weight....and sometimes, I even called their vendors and carriers who refused to comply with directions.

My comment to the boss ended with the phrase "You really want me to train people to act and think like I do?  Seriously?"

That boss was a prissy sort who was about as sexist a man as I have ever worked for.  Prior to the training comment, he had called me to rake me over the goals for not acting like a "woman" despite his years of trying to teach me how to act properly.  I told him like I liked me just fine. Also, he needed to get a clue what we actually did in transportation every day and how some of the meekest women he had hired had transitioned to either learning to hold their own or had left the company.  So I wasn't going to play his game because he was aggravated because I considered him to be an ineffectual manager.

After he left the company, I learned that he had been taking credit for procedures that I had originated and padded his resume with them.  He wound up back in the company with his tail tucked between his legs in a cubicle where few people noticed him.

Karma is a ....

epistte
Junior Guide
5.2.28  epistte  replied to  Krishna @5.2.15    7 years ago
They become bored, and frustrated. And sometime quietly let loose with that sarcasm that INTJs are so famous for

Been there and done that.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2.29  author  Krishna  replied to  epistte @5.2.28    7 years ago
They become bored, and frustrated. And sometime quietly let loose with that sarcasm that INTJs are so famous for

Been there and done that.

Epistte-- There are a lot of comments here aso I've been looking through them quickly. I'm not sure what you said about what type you are. At this point, knowing what you know-- are you and INTP or an INTJ?

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2.30  author  Krishna  replied to  mocowgirl @5.2.6    7 years ago
Bill Gates and Einstein identify as INTP, also.  Cool.

Many INTPs are quite brilliant. The first few times I saw The Big Bang Theory I felt that there's was a lot of NT energy in that Living Room! (Except for Penny of course-- and the minor characters).

Sheldon Cooper struck me as a stereotypical  INTP (Extremely mental, very knowledgeable,  and not particularly in touch with his feelings).

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2.31  author  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @5.2.30    7 years ago

Just googled it (ENTPs love to google just about anything)  and found this:

MBTIBigBangTheory.jpg

(LINK)

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.3  author  Krishna  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5    7 years ago

Which way did you come out?

I'll post 2 very different types of MBTI tests tomorrow-- it might be interesting to try them and see what results you get.

I had a friend who was an ENFP. The word that comes to mind when I think of her is FUN! If a group of us went out to dinner and were ready to go home -- she insisted we go out and do something that was fun rather than going home and go to to sleep." Let's go to a bar!", " Let's go out dancing!" She loved being with people and also raised the energy of the crowd. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.3.1  author  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @5.3    7 years ago
I'll post 2 very different types of MBTI tests tomorrow-

I've been having computer problems, so I can't stay on long-- want to log off and call tech support, will come back here later. But first I wanted to post one of the two tests I mentioned. One is a bit longer and IMO one of the "best" MBTI tests. (Will have to look for it later)

This one (the "Flow Chart"), however, was really meant more as humor-- and obviously can't give a thorough description of the types. However, some people find it surprisingly accurate.

The uploaded image (below) is a bit fuzzy --> the image at this link is much clearer)

mbtiflowchart.png

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.3.3  author  Krishna  replied to  Kathleen @5.3.2    7 years ago
I was infj... Glad I said no to something.

I just looked at the flow chart again. And I just discovered that you would have also come out as an INFJ if each time you said yes!

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.3.4  author  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @5.3.1    4 years ago

Best MBTI typology test I've seen. 

Quick and simple-- yet accurate.

And fun to take!

(Yet another wonderful opportunity to "Get Smarter Here!")

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
6  mocowgirl    7 years ago

INTJ - Books were my best friend until I met Google.  LOL!

A result of INTJ is rare for women. According to careerplanner.com, they represent less than 1 percent of the population. Often dubbed the   mastermind   or   strategist , INTJs are a force to be reckoned with. Nevertheless, the rarity of the female INTJ can cause some classic misunderstandings.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
6.1  Raven Wing  replied to  mocowgirl @6    7 years ago

Cool, mocowgirl! Seems you are not a push over. (big grim)

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
6.1.1  mocowgirl  replied to  Raven Wing @6.1    7 years ago
Seems you are not a push over. (big grim)

I was born that way.  

Working in the corporate world, I have taken many personality tests, team building seminars, communications and negotiation classes in order to better understand myself and others.

I have always been an introverted, independent thinker willing to go my own way ....and preferably alone or with the minimum number of team members as allowable.

I have little to no respect for authority figures and a history of getting the job done by ignoring and/or going around authority figures who seemed to have acquired the position by kissing the right backside instead of knowledge and leadership ability.

Taking the Myers Briggs test has actually been beneficial for me to better understand me.  :o)

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
6.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  mocowgirl @6.1.1    7 years ago

I can relate to much of what you say, mocowgirl. Girls/Women were supposed to be nothing more than low skill secretaries and waitresses for the big dogs. But, much of the work area I lived in was predominantly 'a mans world' and I had to learn to hold my own with the best of them. The Supermarket products and wire fabrication business I owned, as well as plastic product molding operations, was not something most women chose to get involved with. But, Product development was fascinating to me and finding the best materials to produce those products was totally amazing. 

Today I am into graphic design and animation. Another door that opened for me and I love it. (smile)

epistte
Junior Guide
6.1.3  epistte  replied to  mocowgirl @6.1.1    7 years ago
I have little to no respect for authority figures and a history of getting the job done by ignoring and/or going around authority figures who seemed to have acquired the position by kissing the right backside instead of knowledge and leadership ability.

OH HELL YEA!!!!! I get in trouble for doing that. It's almost a badge of honor.

Do they want me to play nice in a team of 5 or do they want me to do the job correctly within a specified time frame?

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.1.4  author  Krishna  replied to  mocowgirl @6.1.1    7 years ago
Taking the Myers Briggs test has actually been beneficial for me to better understand me.  :o)

Also was like that for me. Actually I've had a lot of experience with other things that had already given me quite a lot of self-understanding (from Psychology to Astrology), so at first I was a bit skeptical...I had wondered if there was anything significant I could learn from it. I was pleasantly surprised..it did give some valuable insights into myself. (It did take some time and effort to learn much about it).

IMO if people are able (and willinging) to use it effectively, better self-knowledge is one of its greatest benefits

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
6.1.5  Raven Wing  replied to  Krishna @6.1.4    7 years ago

While it is interesting to see what things it might reveal about oneself that they may already be aware of, it may also provide an insight into some capabilities they might not have ever associated with themselves and give them an interest to stretch themselves to see what other levels of abilities they might be able to achieve. 

I for one never thought about myself as an Instructor or Teacher, and always had the highest respect for the job they do. But, when I was asked to become an Instructor at two different Community Colleges and a private Tutor for one, I saw it as a challenge to do something I felt I was ill prepared to do. I surprised myself by actually being able to adequately and successfully teach students in a classroom or other environments. It was one of the most inspiring and fulfilling experiences of my life. But, if someone had asked me if I thought I would be a good Teacher before that time I would have had to answer that I didn't think I would be good enough to teach others well. 

If I had not had the courage to stretch myself and take the challenge, even if I failed, I would have denied myself the opportunity to find out just how far I could reach. (smile) 

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
6.1.6  mocowgirl  replied to  Krishna @6.1.4    7 years ago
(from Psychology to Astrology)

My Astrological chart was fairly negative.  The MB test gave me perspective on how to be at better peace with myself on why I need a lot of emotional and physical space from people and always have.

I have worked with many wonderful people that I liked and respected on a professional basis.  However, I did not want to know anything about their personal problems and my personal life was none of their business.  

My salaried manager told me I had to be more "friendly" to my co-workers and to even spend time with them outside of work.  The truth was that my hourly supervisor was pissed because she had tried to invite herself to my house because I had horses and I had told her that I did not allow anyone to handle my horses except for me and my husband.  She went to our manager and complained.  So in an effort to get them off my back, I joined a bowling league with some my fellow workers.  

This turned out to be a huge career mistake because one of my co-workers was having an affair and chose to confide this to me.  I did NOT want to know this.  A year later, she is on assorted legal and illegal drugs, paranoid and decides that she needs to get me fired and proceeds to try to undermine my reputation at work.  I never really got any straight answers to what she had said, but just that I had done "something" underhanded to her.  I don't know if she would have succeeded in getting me fired, but within a couple of months into her campaign, she had a seizure and died - probably from drug abuse.

I endured crap for 6 months after her death until I finally went to a person in management and laid out in detail the who, what and why.  Turns out that this person had been threatened also by the man my colleague had had the affair with.  Things got better, but I had made some enemies just because I was put on the wrong team at the right time.

If I had taken the MB test before any of this, I would have maintained my distance knowing that my communication skills would never go over well with any member of that team and I was playing with fire by ever having more than the most casual of relationships with any of them.

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.1.7  author  Krishna  replied to  mocowgirl @6.1.6    7 years ago
I have worked with many wonderful people that I liked and respected on a professional basis.  However, I did not want to know anything about their personal problems and my personal life was none of their business.

Well, as you now know-- INTJ tend to be "idea persons" and "action persons"-- but definitely not "people persons" (unless of course the person in question is highly logical...and it doesn't hurt for them to be extremely results oriented...and to have a brilliant mind as well!)

If I had taken the MB test before any of this, I would have maintained my distance knowing that my communication skills would never go over well with any member of that team and I was playing with fire by ever having more than the most casual of relationships with any of them.

Of course the purpose of the system is to discover information about onesself and others that is actually useful. (Except, perhaps, for INTPs who may be more interested in acquiring information for its own sake-- usually they don't care if that information doesn't any practical application :-))

As with most systems of this sort, it does take a while to learn it well. (And there's the initial disadvantage of having MBTI tests that often aren't that effective in helpful to determine one's MBTI type). 

Astrology can be incedibly useful-- but unfortunately, IMO, its really difficult to master-- and it takes many years. (Actually I'm not all that knowledgable re: MBTI-- but I've studied Astrology on and off for 30 years or so. I still feel that there's a tremendous amount I still have to learn about it-- its much more complex than most people realize. Note: The so called "astrology" in popular newspapers and magazines is not true Astrology).

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
6.1.8  mocowgirl  replied to  Krishna @6.1.7    7 years ago
Astrology can be incedibly useful-

Definitely.  

More than 20 years have passed and I rarely re-visit my past except in a general way - past details are rarely important because I take in too much new information to care about keeping track of crap that really doesn't matter today.  But I do have to say that my experiences working with that team was the most unusual chapter in my life.  My hourly supervisor kept asking to borrow some of my shirts and I finally had to loan her some my western shirts so she could play cowgirl at the area bars on weekends.  I had even wasted a Saturday helping a teammate shop for a pair of Levis and western boots.  Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, but I was never interested in being a cult leader (which is a good thing considering my lack of people skills).  LOL!

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.2  author  Krishna  replied to  mocowgirl @6    7 years ago
A result of INTJ is rare for women. According to careerplanner.com, they represent less than 1 percent of the population. Often dubbed the mastermind or strategist, INTJs are a force to be reckoned with.

Here's a cool graphic:

MBTI_INTJ_Unicorn.jpeg

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.2.1  author  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @6.2    7 years ago

And then... there's this, LOL! :-)

mbti intjunicornscary.jpg

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
6.2.2  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Krishna @6.2    7 years ago

Ha, I knew it!!! MoCowgirl is a Unicorn!!!!! la de da Party applause peace 2

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
6.2.3  mocowgirl  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @6.2.2    7 years ago
Ha, I knew it!!! MoCowgirl is a Unicorn!!!!!

It does explain why I have a tendency to seek out the loners/thinkers when I want company or someone to bounce around ideas.... and then quickly retreat when we either agree too much or don't agree on anything.  LOL!

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.3  author  Krishna  replied to  mocowgirl @6    7 years ago
INTJ - Books were my best friend until I met Google.  LOL!

I was like that as well-- I think it is probably true to some degree for all 4 NT types (INTJ,  INTP,  ENTJ,  ENTP). They are all "thinkers" and love learning.  The 2 P types continue to pursue knowledge as well, but often procrastinate when it comes time to act. The two J types start out the same way, but when they feel they have enough data to act effectively -- they go out into the world and really "kick ass"!!!

epistte
Junior Guide
6.4  epistte  replied to  mocowgirl @6    7 years ago
INTJ - Books were my best friend until I met Google.

I lived at the library as a child. I hate where I live because it is quite conservative, but we do have a library with a drive-through window. I can order any book from a library catalog over 6 counties, get an email notification when it has arrived and picked it up at the drive through without having to get out of the car. For a bookworm that is close to nirvana. 

I also apparently have a gift for research because people often call me and ask me to research something because they can't find what they are looking for on the net. The secret is knowing how Google works so you can input the correct search parameters. I've played a little on the dark web but the freaks who roam there still scare me.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
6.4.1  mocowgirl  replied to  epistte @6.4    7 years ago
I lived at the library as a child.

As an adult, I had to include book purchases in the household budget for me and my children.  RIF in my world.

I finally managed to get my current husband to read one Louis L'Amour novel.  It took him several days to finish the first one, but over the course of a year he learned to prefer books over television.  We now scour flea markets for used books.  Occasionally, I will order an out of print book online to replace a favorite book that is falling apart.  There are some books that I reread yearly for the entertainment value and some so I can see how my perspective has changed over the years.

Because I don't want like living with clutter (or cleaning house), I now keep all valued books on shelves and the rest go to people to read and dispose of as they see fit.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
6.4.2  mocowgirl  replied to  epistte @6.4    7 years ago
we do have a library with a drive-through window. I can order any book from a library catalog over 6 counties, get an email notification when it has arrived and picked

My nearest library is 25 miles away in a small town where everyone would be emailed my reading list if it did not meet community standards.

epistte
Junior Guide
6.4.3  epistte  replied to  mocowgirl @6.4.1    7 years ago

I can't read fiction, My mind just zones out when I read something that is illogical. I do like the occasional historical fiction book.

I don't enjoy reading books that I don't learn something from so I rarely read novels of any sort. I hated my literature classes for that reason.  I often have history, psychology, various sciences/engineering books or the obvious philosophy book on my nightstand. 

I haven't figured out whey I didn't like books  on an E-reader platform as much as I do those with paper pages. Maybe it is just the traditionist in me.

epistte
Junior Guide
6.4.4  epistte  replied to  mocowgirl @6.4.2    7 years ago
My nearest library is 25 miles away in a small town where everyone would be emailed my reading list if it did not meet community standards.

My name would be emailed to everyone in that town. I'd check out books just to annoy the busybodies, even if I didn't like the subject of the book.  

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
6.4.5  mocowgirl  replied to  epistte @6.4.4    7 years ago
I'd check out books just to annoy the busybodies, even if I didn't like the subject of the book.

I worked at Obama's headquarters in that small town in 2008.  The headquarters was shut down after a large man in camo went in the office and semi-threatened a woman working at the time.

Sometimes, it is best not to antagonize people who will use violence to end differences of opinion.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
6.4.6  mocowgirl  replied to  epistte @6.4.3    7 years ago
I can't read fiction

I have to read or watch something with some comedic relief to let my mind relax.  My current favorite TV show is "The Good Place". I binge watched Season 1 on Netflix and am watching Season 2 on Hulu.  I refuse to watch commercials unless there is zero choice....and in my world there are choices.

Although, I do laugh at some things that aren't meant to be funny when watching drama shows and I love to provide commentary on old Western movies when my husband is watching them.  Everyone in town know who the bad guy is because he has usually lived there all of his life, but is always cut off at the pass because he has never discovered the shortcut.

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.4.7  author  Krishna  replied to  epistte @6.4    7 years ago
I also apparently have a gift for research because people often call me and ask me to research something because they can't find what they are looking for on the net. The secret is knowing how Google works so you can input the correct search parameters. I've played a little on the dark web but the freaks who roam there still scare me.

I have also developped a lot of skill at using Google. I think many people tend to just type in the first word that comes to mind-- and if thast first seach doesn't yield usable results tey give up. Over time I've come to realizethat there are skills in knowing how touse Google-- when the initial search doesn't yiled good results, there are ways to re-word it that can. Using different words, more words, or cheven changing the order you type them in-- and a lot more.

Another thing is, if its important to get a useful result--as any good researcher knows-- be persistent!

And in addition to their mental powers, NT's intuition also helps. Plus I think XNTX types are very curious. 

epistte
Junior Guide
6.4.8  epistte  replied to  Krishna @6.4.7    7 years ago
I have also developped a lot of skill at using Google. I think many people tend to just type in the first word that comes to mind-- and if thast first seach doesn't yield usable results tey give up. Over time I've come to realizethat there are skills in knowing how touse Google-- when the initial search doesn't yiled good results, there are ways to re-word it that can. Using different words, more words, or cheven changing the order you type them in-- and a lot more.

Absolute agreement.  There are times when I only know ideas or parts of an idea so I work my way to the goal in steps. You need to understand how computers work to know what to tell them to do because a CPU/binary program doesn't work in the same way as our mind.

Another thing is, if its important to get a useful result--as any good researcher knows-- be persistent!

Agreed.  I actually like the chase.

And in addition to their mental powers, NT's intuition also helps. Plus I think XNTX types are very curious. 

It has often gotten me in trouble when I ask someone the wrong question or even questioned the idea in the first place.

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.4.9  author  Krishna  replied to  epistte @6.4.8    7 years ago
Absolute agreement.  There are times when I only know ideas or parts of an idea so I work my way to the goal in steps. You need to understand how computers work to know what to tell them to do because a CPU/binary program doesn't work in the same way as our mind. Another thing is, if its important to get a useful result--as any good researcher knows-- be persistent!

You sound very much like an INTP.  (I am convinced I am an ENTP at times, but at other times an INTP). 

CPU/binary program doesn't work in the same way as our mind.

Definitely. (I could be wrong. but  sometimes I believe that INTP &INTJ types can switch their mind over to "computer mode-"- and that these 2 types can actually think like a computer when they want to!

P>S: I believe I read that the most common type for software engineer/computer programmer is INTJ (I would've though INTP).

epistte
Junior Guide
6.4.10  epistte  replied to  Krishna @6.4.9    7 years ago
(I am convinced I am an ENTP at times, but at other times an INTP).

I took the test again yesterday and It said that I am an INTP this time. Apparently, when I hold back on my judgements and rein in my sarcasm I am not an INTJ. 

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
6.4.11  mocowgirl  replied to  epistte @6.4.8    7 years ago
It has often gotten me in trouble when I ask someone the wrong question or even questioned the idea in the first place.

If I know that I am right, then I find their boss and ask them.

I figure if I am going to piss people off, I hate to do it halfway.

epistte
Junior Guide
6.4.12  epistte  replied to  mocowgirl @6.4.11    7 years ago

If I know that I am right, then I find their boss and ask them.

I figure if I am going to piss people off, I hate to do it halfway.

I want to do that but I'm a bit gun-shy of what happened in the past when I did that. I have PTSD because of my mother who didn't like to be questioned and preferred to hit me and threaten me when I questioned her.  Being beaten until I couldn't stand and was screaming for her to stop was not uncommon during my childhood.  She had a stressful job and couldn't handle her stress so I was her favorite target when she got home from a bad day.

The scars of child abuse is a bitch.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
6.4.13  mocowgirl  replied to  epistte @6.4.12    7 years ago
Being beaten until I couldn't stand and was screaming for her to stop was not uncommon during my childhood.

I had adoptive parents who did the same.  And then they drug me to church to hear about the "loving" god who cared about me.

I contemplated suicide to escape the pain before I ever reached junior high.

I really don't know how I survived, but when I was 17, I was finally set free after one last thorough beating.

I have never taken life for granted since I was liberated at 17.  I've had my share of problems, but I've also had my share of joy.

As a survivor of child abuse, I have zero tolerance for the people who abuse others and call it "love".  After years of working to understand why people do what they do,   I have had to learn to cull all abusive people out of my life regardless of who they are for my own well-being.  I can't save the world and I don't want to rule it, either.  So I am left with planting some trees, shrubs and flowers and trying to make my corner of the world a little more beautiful and friendlier to the birds, bees and butterflies that we need to sustain our environment.

(((((epistte)))))

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.4.14  author  Krishna  replied to  epistte @6.4.3    7 years ago
I haven't figured out whey I didn't like books  on an E-reader platform as much as I do those with paper pages. Maybe it is just the traditionist in me.

I feel the same way. I think it might be because some of my fondest memories of childhood were times spent reading some amazing books! 

(Also my family had great respect for learning...in fact it was considered somewhat "sacriligious" to mistreat or damage a book-- and I don't mean anything religious but rather any book of quality, whether fact or even good fiction)

epistte
Junior Guide
6.4.15  epistte  replied to  Krishna @6.4.14    7 years ago
(Also my family had great respect for learning...in fact it was considered somewhat "sacriligious" to mistreat or damage a book-- and I don't mean anything religious but rather any book of quality, whether fact or even good fiction)

As a child I would be told no if I asked for a new toy, but if I wanted something to read the answer was almost always yes.  I have a sizeable library of books that I have collected, plus a long list of books that I prowl used bookstores for. My family knows that buying me books or magazine subscriptions is always a safe gift.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  mocowgirl @6    7 years ago

Notwithstanding that I spend a lot of time each day on the internet, I still read both fiction and non-fiction.  When I was a little kid my mother always took me to the library kids' room, where I would read the Freddy the Pig stories (which probably prepared me for Huxley's Animal Farm). Due to my profession, I always enjoyed John Grisham's works, but I also enjoy spy stories and mysteries, and biographies.  In Grade 11 our English teacher made us do a book report on Pride and Prejudice, and that sealed my choice of majoring in English Literature for my B.A.  If you are an avid reader and like to discuss what you read, there is a "Books" group on NT.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
6.5.1  mocowgirl  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.5    7 years ago
If you are an avid reader and like to discuss what you read, there is a "Books" group on NT.

Buzz,

Thank you for the information and the invitation.  Currently, I mostly read news stories and research things that interest me.

After I get adjusted to the time change, I am planning on taking some self-interest courses on Coursera.  I may review "Understanding Arguments I" and sign up for the follow up class because I really enjoyed the first one.  I also want to take another entry psychology class.

I usually begin planning my spring/summer garden (and even ordering seed) in January.   Southwest Missouri weather has been unusually chaotic the last few years, and I am hoping that we are due for a good gardening season.  

Again, thank you.  

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.5.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.5    7 years ago
In Grade 11 our English teacher made us do a book report on Pride and Prejudice, and that sealed my choice of majoring in English Literature for my B.A.

Woohoo!  There's somebody else who likes Jane Austen as much as I do!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.5.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.5.2    7 years ago

This was my first comment on the "Books" group:

It was in grade 11, when our English teacher required us to write a book report on Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice, that I graduated from science fiction to classic and current novels. I was so impressed by the slightly archaic but perfect use of the English language, the superb characterizations and the complete descriptions of the manners of the time that it led me to major in English Literature in university. I must have read the novel at least 20 times, often watched every movie version of the story, and even wrote an article on the topic of the P&P movies for the Classic Cinema group on NV then copied it to NT. (You will find it in the archives of that group).

I then posted these articles to that group:

On the Classic Cinema group I posted these articles:

You should be able to sse the articles, but not the comments on those two groups. They are not private groups so if you were to apply to be a member you would be accepted automatically, and then you could not only read the comments to the articles, but you could comment and post articles yourself. If you really ARE as enamoured with Pride and Prejudice as I am, you will want to read what I have posted.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.5.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.5.3    7 years ago
If you really ARE as enamoured with Pride and Prejudice as I am, you will want to read what I have posted.

I already read the articles from the 1st three links.

My favorite of Austen's works is Persuasion, with P&P coming in a very close second.  But, yeah, I've read both repeatedly, and watched the 1996 P&P adaptation over and over.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.5.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.5.4    7 years ago

I also enjoyed the movie adaptation of Persuasion. I thought it followed the novel fairly well, and besides I always enjoyed watching Alan Rykman.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.5.6  sandy-2021492  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.5.5    7 years ago

Alan Rickman played Colonel Brandon in S&S.  My favorite adaptation of Persuasion stars Ciaran Hinds and Amanda Root.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.5.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.5.6    7 years ago

Ooops. Mixed up my titles.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.5.8  sandy-2021492  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.5.7    7 years ago

Easy to do when binge-watching Regency flicks.

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.5.9  author  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.5.5    7 years ago

Hi Buzz-- just wanted to wish you a Happy Holiday! :^)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.5.10  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @6.5.9    7 years ago

Since I no longer have any students here, EVERY day is a holiday for me.  Are you thinking of Veterans' Day in the USA or Remembrance Day in Canada? It's November 11 where I am now but not for about 4 more hours in the USA and Canada, but then that's not a "happy" holiday. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.5.11  author  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.5.10    7 years ago
Are you thinking of Veterans' Day in the USA or Remembrance Day in Canada? It's November 11 where I am

Actually I was thinking of Ali Baba & singles day (in China).

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet
7  Uncle Bruce    7 years ago

Hmmm.  Strange.  My results said "Seek Professional help immediately."

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
10  Spikegary    7 years ago

Campaigner (ENFP-a)

Fairly fitting....

It doesn’t interest me what you do for a living. I want to know what you ache for – and if you dare to dream of meeting your heart’s longing. It doesn’t interest me how old you are. I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool – for love – for your dreams – for the adventure of being alive.

--Oriah Mountain Dreamer

Krishna
Professor Expert
10.1  author  Krishna  replied to  Spikegary @10    7 years ago

I have been keeping tabs on the number of people here in each type. (I've been doing it rather quickly, so there may be an error or two).  So far I know of two ENFP's here" you and Perrie.

My first reactions to ENFP's-- they are a really fun type! If they walk into a room where everyone is sitting around bored (or even slightly depressed)-- the rooms "lights up"! They are good at motivating people to feel good and to have fun! (Also very good at getting discombobulated groups to become organized...

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
11  Sunshine    7 years ago

INFJ - Advocate 

It's hard to describe yourself when taking these type of test.  I think I am one way and someone will say no your not.  :)

I guess some aspects I recognize.  

I am what I am said Popeye the Sailor Man. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
11.1  author  Krishna  replied to  Sunshine @11    7 years ago
It's hard to describe yourself when taking these type of test.  I think I am one way and someone will say no your not.

So far, if my observations are accurate, there are two people here who said they are INFJ's-- you and kathleen. 

One thing I've noticed about INFJ's-- they tend to not let people get to know them...until they get know a person well and feel they can trust them. And even when you start to get to know them, their personalities are fairly "complex". (Which might explain why people might feel that you are not the way you know you are..).

INFJs are sometimes difficult for others to figure out...and in fact I believe they sometimes they have difficulty in figuring themselves out! (Still waters run deep...).Personally I find them to be intriguing... and for me, an ENTP/INTP,  even though I am predominantly a thinking type, I find them one of the easiest types to communicate with.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
12  magnoliaave    7 years ago

That was fun.  I am ENFJ...Protagnostic!  Thank you.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
13  It Is ME    7 years ago

The Lucy movement ........ ESTJ ! la de da

Practical, logical, and decisive, you have a solid grasp of the realities of life and work. Robust and straightforward, you are not one to split hairs over academic concepts and 'maybes,' preferring instead the sure and steady approach. You tend to produce impressive results by proceeding from the belief that "one fact, firmly in hand, is better than 10 flimsy 'maybes' in the sky." This systematic, factual, and objective approach to problems renders you well-equipped to carry responsibility and to make sure that everything is in order and everything is completed on time. You can at times be perceived as being quite demanding of others, but in fairness, you ask nothing of others that you do not also ask of yourself. Organized, systematic, and thorough, the world would not be such a messy place if more people thought like you.

The one question about Keeping a warm or cold heart....was a bit perplexing though ! thinking

I REALLY DO DISLIKE SOB STORIES THAT ARE FOR GAIN, AND NOT FOR JUST THE SAD STORY IT TRULY IS.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
14  Sparty On    7 years ago

ESTJ as well ..... and actually i think that is pretty damn close for me.   

Though like Buzz i found quite a few questions i felt like i was more in the middle than on either side.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
15  Just Jim NC TttH    7 years ago

ESTP-A

Your personality type is:
Entrepreneur (ESTP-a)

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
15.1  Sunshine  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @15    7 years ago

I knew that...I'm psychic 

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
15.2  Colour Me Free  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @15    7 years ago

I [snickered] and then took it back!  Yet I feel it needs to be returned :)

[snicker]

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
15.2.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Colour Me Free @15.2    7 years ago

winking

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
16  Colour Me Free    7 years ago

Took both test .. one says I am a ENFP..

The other says I am INTP -A/-T...

Which makes me a logical campaigner?

After reading about each, I can see myself somewhere in the middle between the 2 personality types...  If that is possible (?)

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
16.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Colour Me Free @16    7 years ago

Sybil...........(Ha)

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
16.1.1  Colour Me Free  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @16.1    7 years ago

I know huh?  It just dawned on me when replying to Bfies that I have a split personality ... Damn'd that explains a lot !!!

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
16.2  Colour Me Free  replied to  Colour Me Free @16    7 years ago

Image result for ENFP female memes

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
16.3  Colour Me Free  replied to  Colour Me Free @16    7 years ago

Image result for intp female memes

Krishna
Professor Expert
16.4  author  Krishna  replied to  Colour Me Free @16    7 years ago
After reading about each, I can see myself somewhere in the middle between the 2 personality types...  If that is possible (?)

I believe that most MBTI practitioners say you are one type. However, IMO that's pretty much impossible-- IMO most if not all people may be two types or more-- but sometimes much much more like one than the other(s)). Some MBTI tests actually do classify you as two or more types-- then give the % of each type you are!

I am definitely strongly ENTP-- but at times I become very INTP. All NTs have a lot in common, but there are also significant differences. 

In my experience, when a person has the characteristics of 2 different types, in most cases rather than always being an "average" of both all the time-- they frequently tend to "flip" -- being very like one type sometimes, being the other type at other times.

BTW I have noticed the same thing with Astrological types-- when a person has strong characteristics of 2 different signs, they usually don't come across as an average of the two. Rather they seem to be very a strongly one type-- then they flip and "become" the other type.

P.S: All this discussion has been about one level of the MBTI-- which is important for beginners. But there's a whole 'nother level of MBTI-- its has to do with the "functions" (For example, we've discussed XXFX (_ _ F _).-- feeling types (F). But on the level of functions, there is Internal Feeling, and External Feeling. It can get pretty technical (Don't worry-- you don't have to know this...it won't be on the final! :-)

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
17  Galen Marvin Ross    7 years ago

I'm an ISFP.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
17.1  mocowgirl  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @17    7 years ago

Interesting.  It would be interesting for me to be able to see the world from your perspective.  This is probably one of the reasons that I have enjoyed reading your comments even when I did not fully understand their origins.

ISFPs live in a colorful, sensual world, inspired by connections with people and ideas. ISFP personalities take joy in reinterpreting these connections, reinventing and experimenting with both themselves and new perspectives. No other type explores and experiments in this way more. This creates a sense of spontaneity, making ISFPs seem unpredictable, even to their close friends and loved ones.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
17.1.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  mocowgirl @17.1    7 years ago

Well, I guess that was inevitable, I'm a Gemini and, I was born in the year of the monkey. crazy  

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
17.1.2  mocowgirl  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @17.1.1    7 years ago
I'm a Gemini

I find people born under the sign of Gemini to be equally fascinating and frustrating, but never boring.  :o)

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
17.1.3  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  mocowgirl @17.1.2    7 years ago

Thanks, I try not to be boring. la de da

Krishna
Professor Expert
17.1.4  author  Krishna  replied to  mocowgirl @17.1.2    7 years ago
I find people born under the sign of Gemini to be equally fascinating and frustrating, but never boring.  :o)

The Air signs in Astrology correspond to "Thinking" T in MBTI. Gemini is the airiest of the air signs-- the most mental.They have very quick minds. But they often jump from one thing to another. The main thing they hate is...boredom. The main thing they love is learning things,gathering information (even if it doesn't have any practical use-- they just love knowing things). Also communicating. (A typical stereotype is that"they never stop talking"). Very curious. They seek intellectual stimulation.Also, they have a mischievous streak (not malicious-- just a fun loving mischievous streak)

One reason you may find them frustrating (?) is that while they're very mental, they often do not go into things in depth-- because they often jump so quickly to a new topic. And/or perhaps its frustrating to see them gather so much information-- but not do anything with it? (Also not judgemental "J")

(I have started looking into the correspondences between  MBTI typology and Astrology. They are both similar in some ways to Jung's system: 4 elements"

Astr. =  MBTI/JUNG-  {Tarot}

AIR = Thinking (T) -  {Swords}

Fire =Intuiting (N)  -  {Rods}

Earth = Sensing (S) -  {Pentacles}

Water = Feeling (F) - {Cups}

The four elements also have correspondences in Kabbala, The Arthurian Legends, and other western systems.

(TCM = "Traditional Chinese Medicine", there  as well as other Chinese systems its difficult if no timpossible to relate to the western system because they use  5 elements instead of 4).

Krishna
Professor Expert
17.1.5  author  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @17.1.4    7 years ago
The Air signs in Astrology correspond to "Thinking" T in MBTI. Gemini is the airiest of the air signs-- the most mental.They have very quick minds. But they often jump from one thing to another. The main thing they hate is...boredom. The main thing they love is learning things,gathering information (even if it doesn't have any practical use-- they just love knowing things). Also communicating. (A typical stereotype is that"they never stop talking"== and they are often messengers). Very curious. They seek intellectual stimulation.Also, they have a mischievous streak (not malicious-- just a fun loving mischievous streak).
In Astrology, Germini is "ruled by" Mercury

Here's Hermes (Greek Name) = Mercury (Roman) = Thoth (Egyptian):

Hermes_Mercury.jpg

Everything in these sorts of pictures has some symbolic meaning. One thing that's unusual-- wings on his feet and his head (hat). Why there?

Well, it was mentioned that Geminis are thinkers. messengers and communicators. This god (Mercury) is a messenger (that's why he has wings on his feet-- traveling. To deliver messages. Wings on head? Symbolizes Thinking.(Also messages).

BTW in Astrology, Mercury/Gemini in your chart & transits is related to short trips 

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
17.1.6  mocowgirl  replied to  Krishna @17.1.4    7 years ago
One reason you may find them frustrating (?) is that while they're very mental, they often do not go into things in depth-- because they often jump so quickly to a new topic. And/or perhaps its frustrating to see them gather so much information-- but not do anything with it? (Also not judgemental "J")

Yes.  As an INTJ and a Scorpio, the Air signs of the Zodiac can be my kryptonite because I expect more of them that they can give and they can't understand why I can't "just let it go".  LOL!

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
17.1.7  Raven Wing  replied to  mocowgirl @17.1.6    7 years ago

I am also a Scorpio, and I think that it gives me the strength and courage to stand my ground against those who have tried to beat me down in my life, and to carry through with the things I needed to do to take care of and defend all those who depended on me, and to be their strength in time of need, even above my own feelings of self weakness and sorrow. And to also maintain my Spiritual inner strength and belief in myself to accomplish all the things that I have done in my life successfully. And I have often surprised even myself at some of the things I have been able to achieve. (smile)  

Krishna
Professor Expert
17.1.8  author  Krishna  replied to  mocowgirl @17.1.6    7 years ago
Yes.  As an INTJ and a Scorpio, the Air signs of the Zodiac can be my kryptonite because I expect more of them that they can give and they can't understand why I can't "just let it go".  LOL!

As a "Fixed" sign, Scorpio is of course exctremely persistent. 

Of course as with other qualities, Fixedness has its pros and cons. On one hand its great for things like research and creating results in the "real world"-- fixed signs don't get easily sidetracked. They keep going and going....

The downside in some cases could be a lack of flexibility when it would be useful. (But IMO the spiritually evolved  person (in every sign) know "when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em".

BTW the Air signs such as Gemini & to Libra are extremely mutable. In many cases their weak points can include not being able to stick to a task ...

However, Aquarius is also an Air Sign and they are Fixed. Like the other Fixed signs (Taurus, Leo, Scorpio- there's one fixed sign in each element) Aquarius can be very rigid and unbending-- they can be exceptionally stubborn!

I have recently begun studying the correspondences between different MBTI types and Astrological signs-- it will take a while to understand much of that but for me its fascinating).

Krishna
Professor Expert
17.1.9  author  Krishna  replied to  Raven Wing @17.1.7    7 years ago
I am also a Scorpio, and I think that it gives me the strength and courage to stand my ground against those who have tried to beat me down in my life, and to carry through with the things I needed to do to take care of and defend all those who depended on me, and to be their strength in time of need, even above my own feelings of self weakness and sorrow. And to also maintain my Spiritual inner strength and belief in myself to accomplish all the things that I have done in my life successfully. And I have often surprised even myself at some of the things I have been able to achieve. (smile)

I have always thought of Scorpio as "strong" people/ And they are very persistent-- not easily diverted from their goals. Also often very "intense" individuals & people who want to "live life to its fullest".

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
17.1.10  Raven Wing  replied to  Krishna @17.1.9    7 years ago
I have always thought of Scorpio as "strong" people/ And they are very persistent-- not easily diverted from their goals. Also often very "intense" individuals & people who want to "live life to its fullest"

I think most Scorpios are that way to a good extent, some more than others. But, one really good thing is that a Scorpio is not easily discouraged when they have set a goal for themselves. Even if they fail the first few times, they are not willing to quit. They simply do more research and re-planning to find a way to achieve their goal successfully. Persistence is one of our strong points. (smile) 

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
17.1.11  mocowgirl  replied to  Krishna @17.1.8    7 years ago
I have recently begun studying the correspondences between different MBTI types and Astrological signs-- it will take a while to understand much of that but for me its fascinating).

Some of us are driven to collect a lot of information that seems unrelated and then connect in a way that seems logical.

My INTJ daughter and I used to be able to complete each other's sentences or switch topics mid-sentence and understand what the other meant and how the new topic was logically connected to the prior one.

This used to freak out my son-in-law.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
17.1.12  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Krishna @17.1.5    7 years ago

Maybe this is why I seem to be an "Air head" sometimes?

Krishna
Professor Expert
17.1.13  author  Krishna  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @17.1.12    7 years ago
Maybe this is why I seem to be an "Air head" sometimes?

Well, those four categories (Air, Fire, Earth & Water) are a whole 'nother discussion-- that's Astrology which is actually pretty complicated....and would take a long time to explain. 

Air in Astrology (the signs of Gemini, Aquarius and Libra) corresponds to the T in MBTI (XX T X). Both "Air" in Astrology and "T" in MBTI correspond to "thinking". The third letter in the MBTI system is either T (Thinking) or F (Feeling).

Since you are an IS F P the third letter for your type is F, not T.

But that being said, IMO ISFPs have very strong feelings about things-- its really important for them to be true to themselves-- and to express their true  inner most values & feelings. I could be wrong but my guess would be that if people listening to them don't have similar values...ISFPs  might occasionally come across as "flaky" to those people?

I just posted Part III in this series on the MBTI. Its mostly videos, especially those about the "hidden secret" of each type. IMO these videos contain some really useful information for each type. 

Here's a link to the one for your type: ISFP Personality Type Secret.

Krishna
Professor Expert
17.1.14  author  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @17.1.8    7 years ago

Of course one of the problems with trying to make these sorts of correspondences is that while there are 16 MBTI types, there are only 12 Astrology tyoes. (The twelve signs of the Zodiac...Aries, Taurus...etc).

So far I've found only one correspondence which seems pretty strong-- ENTP seem to be very similar to what Astrology calls Gemini.

Krishna
Professor Expert
17.1.15  author  Krishna  replied to  mocowgirl @17.1.11    7 years ago
My INTJ daughter and I used to be able to complete each other's sentences or switch topics mid-sentence and understand what the other meant and how the new topic was logically connected to the prior one.

Astrologically, that should mean your Mercuries are in harmonious relationaship-- in compatible sign. In fact, it might be that your Mercuries are in the same sign (and if its really strong, your Mercuries could be not only the same sign, but also the same degree! (Or within only a few degrees of each other).

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
18  Dowser    7 years ago

I'm an ENFJ, which probably means something bad...  la de da

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
18.1  mocowgirl  replied to  Dowser @18    7 years ago
I'm an ENFJ, which probably means something bad..

No one's bad (well, except for some of us who leave our cave on days when we shouldn't)...and don't proof read  before they post and have to re-edit their edit.   I probably should be watching something on Acorn TV right about now.  LOL!

My dearest Dowser, you are certainly not bad.  I think you are overwhelmed sometimes with all of the responsibilities that life has thrown her way and need to step back and reap the rewards of tasks well done.  Just my two cents.

ENFJs are natural-born leaders, full of passion and charisma. Forming around two percent of the population, they are oftentimes our politicians, our coaches and our teachers, reaching out and inspiring others to achieve and to do good in the world. With a natural confidence that begets influence, ENFJs take a great deal of pride and joy in guiding others to work together to improve themselves and their community.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
18.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  mocowgirl @18.1    7 years ago

I totally agree! 

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Dowser Big hugs }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
18.1.2  Dowser  replied to  mocowgirl @18.1    7 years ago

I feel overwhelmed a lot of the time!  It's time to get back under my blanket with the heating pad and be still for a bit.  winking

Krishna
Professor Expert
18.1.3  author  Krishna  replied to  mocowgirl @18.1    7 years ago
ENFJs are natural-born leaders, full of passion and charisma . . . , reaching out and inspiring others to achieve and to do good in the world . . . ENFJs take a great deal of pride and joy in guiding others to work together to improve themselves and their community.

Yup . . .  doesn't sound too bad to me! :-)

Krishna
Professor Expert
18.1.4  author  Krishna  replied to  mocowgirl @18.1    7 years ago
ENFJs are natural-born leaders, full of passion and charisma, etc. . . 

Mocowgirl: Thanks for that information :-)

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
18.1.5  mocowgirl  replied to  Dowser @18.1.2    7 years ago
I feel overwhelmed a lot of the time!

It is no wonder with all of the responsibilities that you have had most of your life.

I have spent the last 5 years contemplating and downsizing people and possessions in my life because I had to do it for my own peace of mind (and sometimes because there was little choice).

I wish the best for everyone, but as an introvert, I find being around people to be very draining.

I don't really like cleaning house, dusting and having things just for the sake of having them.  If I died today, my children (who are close to 40) have no need of anything I have.  Anything that they want for keepsakes have already been given to them.  So last spring, I carted off a lot of non-essentials that were in good to excellent condition to Goodwill and burned the things that belonged in the dump.  I plan on further reducing clutter this coming spring.  I keep a few seasonal annual flowers in the house for decoration and toss them when their season is over.

One of the most difficult things that I have had to do was clean out the tack shed after selling the horses a few years ago. 

The most difficult thing that I had to do if I wanted to continue to live was to give up smoking three years ago.  

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
18.1.6  magnoliaave  replied to  Dowser @18.1.2    7 years ago

Mine was, also, ENFJ.  And it is spot on! 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
20  JohnRussell    7 years ago

Glorified "astrology".  

Strengths

• Idealistic – Mediators’ friends and loved ones will come to admire and depend on them for their optimism. Their unshaken belief that all people are inherently good, perhaps simply misunderstood, lends itself to an incredibly resilient attitude in the face of hardship.
  • Seek and Value Harmony – People with the Mediator personality type have no interest in having power over others, and don’t much care for domineering attitudes at all. They prefer a more democratic approach, and work hard to ensure that every voice and perspective is heard.
  • Open-Minded and Flexible – A live-and-let-live attitude comes naturally to Mediators, and they dislike being constrained by rules. Mediators give the benefit of the doubt too, and so long as their principles and ideas are not being challenged, they’ll support others’ right to do what they think is right.
  • Very Creative – Mediators combine their visionary nature with their open-mindedness to allow them to see things from unconventional perspectives. Being able to connect many far-flung dots into a single theme, it’s no wonder that many Mediators are celebrated poets and authors.
  • Passionate and Energetic – When something captures Mediators’ imagination and speaks to their beliefs, they go all in, dedicating their time, energy, thoughts and emotions to the project. Their shyness keeps them from the podium, but they are the first to lend a helping hand where it’s needed.
  • Dedicated and Hard-Working – While others focusing on the challenges of the moment may give up when the going gets tough, Mediators (especially Assertive ones) have the benefit of their far-reaching vision to help them through. Knowing that what they are doing is meaningful gives people with this personality type a sense of purpose and even courage when it comes to accomplishing something they believe in.

Weaknesses

• Too Idealistic – Mediators often take their idealism too far, setting themselves up for disappointment as, again and again, evil things happen in the world. This is true on a personal level too, as Mediators may not just idealize their partners, but idolize them, forgetting that no one is perfect.
  • Too Altruistic – Mediators sometimes see themselves as selfish, but only because they want to give so much more than they are able to. This becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, as they try to push themselves to commit to a chosen cause or person, forgetting to take care of the needs of others in their lives, and especially themselves.
  • Impractical – When something captures Mediators’ imagination, they can neglect practical matters like day-to-day maintenance and simple pleasures. Sometimes people with the Mediator personality type will take this asceticism so far as to neglect eating and drinking as they pursue their passion or cause.
  • Dislike Dealing With Data – Mediators are often so focused on the big picture that they forget the forest is made of individual trees. Mediators are in tune with emotions and morality, and when the facts and data contradict their ideals, it can be a real challenge for them.
  • Take Things Personally – Mediators often take challenges and criticisms personally, rather than as inspiration to reassess their positions. Avoiding conflict as much as possible, Mediators will put a great deal of time and energy into trying to align their principles and the criticisms into a middle ground that satisfies everybody.
  • Difficult to Get to Know – Mediators are private, reserved and self-conscious. This makes them notoriously difficult to really get to know, and their need for these qualities contributes to the guilt they often feel for not giving more of themselves to those they care about.

Krishna
Professor Expert
20.1  author  Krishna  replied to  JohnRussell @20    7 years ago
Glorified "astrology".

There's are similarities-

- IIRC, MBTI practitioners claim the test is based on scientific principles (I could be wrong about that...?).

-Both correlate with the work of a psychologist by the name of Carl Jung. (Astrology correlates considerably but of course pre-dates Jung by centuries. The MBTI however, is actually derived from Jung's work. work)

Carl Jung:

Carl Gustav Jung   ( / j ʊ ŋ / ;   Swiss   German pronunciation: [ˈkarl ˈɡʊstaf jʊŋ] ; 26 July 1875 – 6 June 1961) was a   Swiss   psychiatrist   and   psychoanalyst   who founded   analytical psychology . His work has been influential not only in   psychiatry   but also in anthropology, archaeology, literature, philosophy, and religious studies. As a notable research scientist based at the famous   Burghölzli   hospital, under   Eugen Bleuler , he came to the attention of the Viennese founder of   psychoanalysis ,   Sigmund Freud . The two men conducted a lengthy correspondence and collaborated on an initially joint vision of human psychology. Freud saw in the younger man the potential heir he had been seeking to carry on his "new science" of psychoanalysis. Jung's researches and personal vision, however, made it impossible... (cont'd)

One major difference: While the validity of the MBTI is controversial, it is used in the "straight" world-- in corporations, etc. Most of those types do not accept Astrology as having any validity (or if they believe it does they are smart enough not to admit it publicly).

You can find a lot of articles on the Internet explaining why the MBTI has no validity . However I've found it does-- and after studying it a while, I was surprised to find I got many useful insights about myself.

Kavika
Professor Principal
21  Kavika     7 years ago

I'm ENTP-A debater. 

Man my parents are going to be upset, they always told me I was BFI-Anishinaabe.

Krishna
Professor Expert
21.1  author  Krishna  replied to  Kavika @21    7 years ago
Man my parents are going to be upset, they always told me I was BFI-Anishinaabe.

Actually Kavika, from the moment I met you I knew you were an Extraverted-Intuitive-Thinking-Perceiving-Anishinaabe!

Kavika
Professor Principal
21.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Krishna @21.1    7 years ago

Thank you Krish. 

Kavika getting out his dictionary to be sure that Krish didn't insult him...,LOLOLOL

Remember Krish I'm still a BFI.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
21.1.2  mocowgirl  replied to  Kavika @21.1.1    7 years ago
I'm still a BFI

"BFI"?

Big Friendly Individual?

Kavika
Professor Principal
21.1.3  Kavika   replied to  mocowgirl @21.1.2    7 years ago

Nope, ''Badass Frickin' Indian''....Laugh

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
21.1.4  mocowgirl  replied to  Kavika @21.1.3    7 years ago
''Badass Frickin' Indian''...

Well, I was kinda close.

Kavika
Professor Principal
21.1.5  Kavika   replied to  mocowgirl @21.1.4    7 years ago
Well, I was kinda close.

Yes you were, and thank you mocowgirl.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
21.1.6  mocowgirl  replied to  Kavika @21.1.5    7 years ago

You're welcome.

Krishna
Professor Expert
21.1.7  author  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @21.1    7 years ago
Extraverted-Intuitive-Thinking-Perceiving-

Those are the words for your type-- the "shortcut" for those 4 is  "ENTP"

(Since the MBTI already used the  letter "I" w= for "introvert" they couldn't also use it for "intuitive"-- so "iNtuitive" is represented by the letter N.

E xtroverted-I N tuitive- T hinking- P erceiving = E NTP

I am also an ENTP-- we love debating, analyzing and thinking things through, learning new things and gathering new information, & intellectually stimulating activities. Generally we have a lot of knowledge on many, many subjects. We dislike people who are not logical. Oh-- and ENTPs are very curious-- and don't understand why other types are curious.

If you haven't already, check out the brief description of ENTP in the boxes in comment 2.

Also the flow chart in 5.3.1-- it was meant to be hum0ur,but IMO its pretty accurate.

charger 383
Professor Silent
22  charger 383    7 years ago

Logician (INTP-a)

charger 383
Professor Silent
22.1  charger 383  replied to  charger 383 @22    7 years ago

ISTP on the other one

Krishna
Professor Expert
22.1.1  author  Krishna  replied to  charger 383 @22.1    7 years ago

Actually it's not all that uncommon to take 2 different MBTI tests and get two different results on each). I have found there'ds great validity in the MBTI system and I have egotten some very  useful insights into myself from using it, but ufortunately, while some people have consistent & accurate) results with the tests, some don't. Overall, the tests actually aren't that great.

So what to do? 

Actually, IMO, the best way is  to find someone who knows you well and who also knows the MBTI well. (Of course for most people that's impossible).

Another way is for a person who really knows themselves well to look at all the types' descriptions and see which they feel describes themselves best. But that's also not feasible for most people-- because many people really aren't as self-aware as they think :-)

So it may take some time and study to figure it out.

This isn't the perfect solution, but it would probably be quite helpful for you and anyone else who isn't clear about what type they are: Take these following  2 "tests" which are very short and easy to use-- then see if they validate either of your two previous results (INTP  or ISTP). It only takes a few minutes to do both-- they might go a long way towards  clarifying things-- even they don't appear to be very sophisticated:

1. Do the "Flow Chart". This was originally meant to be  humorous commentary on the types-- but it can be surprisingly accurate. (I wouldn't use it as the sole indicator-- but its worth a shot). Its comment #5.3.1, above ).

2. Look at this very brief list of the main defining characteristics of each type. Its actually very well done. And while you might want to look at descriptions of all the types, you might want to look just at the two boxes that describe INTP & ISTP. (its comment #2, above)

[P.S: Ignore the "-a"... all types are only 4 letters, so you might be an INTP. But "INTP-a" is not the correct type, that site does that in a way that isn't clear and could create confusion-- there shouldn't be any "a" at the end].

Krishna
Professor Expert
22.1.2  author  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @22.1.1    7 years ago

This isn't the perfect solution, but it would probably be quite helpful for you and anyone else who isn't clear about what type they are: Take these following  2 "tests" which are very short and easy to use-- then see if they validate either of your two previous results (INTP  or ISTP). It only takes a few minutes to do both-- they might go a long way towards  clarifying things-- even they don't appear to be very sophisticated:

1. Do the "Flow Chart". This was originally meant to be  humorous commentary on the types-- but it can be surprisingly accurate. (I wouldn't use it as the sole indicator-- but its worth a shot). Its  comment  #5 .3.1, above).

2. Look at this very brief list of the main defining characteristics of each type. Its actually very well done. And while you might want to look at descriptions of all the types, you might want to look just at the two boxes that describe INTP & ISTP. (its  comment  #2 , above)

{BTW, taking these two very brief "tests" might be useful for everyone....)

charger 383
Professor Silent
22.1.3  charger 383  replied to  Krishna @22.1.2    7 years ago

I think both test gave a quick and accurate description of me

charger 383
Professor Silent
22.2  charger 383  replied to  charger 383 @22    5 years ago

INTP-t this time

PJ
Masters Quiet
23  PJ    7 years ago

My personality type is:

ISFJ

Dependable, considerate, and loyal to those closest to you, you have a firm grasp of the factual realities that lie before you as well as an eye for detail, each of which make you naturally gravitate towards others and their emotional needs. Nurturing and attentive, you tend to be quick to assume responsibility and to help out as soon as you see some task that could aid others. Though your surroundings rarely notice it, you tend to carry a lot of responsibility. All too often it is only when you are missing that others notice the immense effort that you usually put in to make sure everything around you is running properly and that everyone is looked after and feels at ease. Conscientious, thorough, and perhaps a bit perfectionistic, you are not one to impulsively chase after new and uncertain prospects before having finished the endeavor at hand. You tend to find a deep sense of satisfaction in working hard to achieve your goals and in selflessly supporting others, demonstrating that you care through your actions and preferring to lead by your quiet, dignified example.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
23.1  Raven Wing  replied to  PJ @23    7 years ago

PJ, Pat Wilson and I are also ISFJ types. Great to see I am in such good company! thumbs up

Krishna
Professor Expert
23.1.1  author  Krishna  replied to  Raven Wing @23.1    7 years ago
PJ, Pat Wilson and I are also ISFJ types. Great to see I am in such good company!

As a typical ENTP/INTP, I am collecting and analyzing the data here. (LOL).

Of the people who have revealed their type , so far the type with the largest representation here is...ISFJ!

(As the discussion here is getting very long, I will soon post an "MBTI Part II" article-- so we can continue but with faster loading times (& also to make it easier & faster to locate specific comments). It will also have with some new information-- new type tests, more descriptive info in types, and a breakdown of the #s of people here in each type. (And then, as a fairly typical XNTX, I will attempt to analyze the data (assisted bybanyone who wants to join in of course :-)

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
23.1.2  mocowgirl  replied to  Krishna @23.1.1    7 years ago
As a typical ENTP/INTP, I am collecting and analyzing the data here. (LOL).

Shhh... I share that compulsion to continually analyze everything.  (LOL).

I actually joined Newsvine long ago to try to understand how people felt about the "issues".  I walked away realizing that no matter how much that some of us read, researched and analyzed the issues and candidates, our votes counted the exact same as the people who made their decisions based on a soundbite, or  a coin toss.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
23.1.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  mocowgirl @23.1.2    7 years ago
our votes counted the exact same as the people who made their decisions based on a soundbite, or  a coin toss.

How depressing.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
23.1.5  Raven Wing  replied to  Krishna @23.1.1    7 years ago

There must have been more people who posted their types as ISFJ after I counted, as the last time I looked there were only the three of us who were of that type. But, it is good to know there are others here that fit that description. Looking forward to the new tests. (smile) 

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
23.1.6  mocowgirl  replied to  sandy-2021492 @23.1.3    7 years ago
How depressing.

Want to be more depressed?

Even those of us who spend endless hours researching don't always come to the same conclusions,  we just have more in-depth disagreements.  LOL!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
23.1.7  sandy-2021492  replied to  mocowgirl @23.1.6    7 years ago

Yeah, but I'll take an educated disagreement over an ignorant agreement any day.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
23.1.8  mocowgirl  replied to  sandy-2021492 @23.1.7    7 years ago
I'll take an educated disagreement over an ignorant agreement any day.

I totally agree.  It makes me dig deeper, verify my facts, sometimes redefine my viewpoint, and on rare occasions, even change my viewpoint.

Krishna
Professor Expert
23.1.9  author  Krishna  replied to  mocowgirl @23.1.8    7 years ago

Speaking as an ENTP-- we thrive on disagreement! Probably true of the other three NT types as well....

(And sometimes if there is none in a discussion, we provoke it!). 

The ENTP type is often called "The Debater":

The ENTP personality type is the ultimate devil’s advocate, thriving on the process of shredding arguments and beliefs and letting the ribbons drift in the wind for all to see. Unlike their more determined Judging (J) counterparts, ENTPs don’t do this because they are trying to achieve some deeper purpose or strategic goal, but for the simple reason that it’s fun. No one loves the process of mental sparring more than ENTPs, as it gives them a chance to exercise their effortlessly quick wit, broad accumulated knowledge base, and capacity for connecting disparate ideas to prove their points.

An odd juxtaposition arises with ENTPs, as they are uncompromisingly honest, but will argue tirelessly for something they don’t actually believe in, stepping into another’s shoes to argue a truth from another perspective.

Krishna
Professor Expert
23.1.10  author  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @23.1.9    7 years ago

Playing the devil’s advocate helps people with the ENTP personality type to not only develop a better sense of others’ reasoning, but a better understanding of opposing ideas – since ENTPs are the ones arguing them.

This tactic shouldn’t be confused with the sort of mutual understanding Diplomats seek – ENTPs, like all Analyst personality types, are on a constant quest for knowledge, and what better way to gain it than to attack and defend an idea, from every angle, from every side?

Krishna
Professor Expert
23.1.11  author  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @23.1.9    7 years ago
An odd juxtaposition arises with ENTPs, as they are uncompromisingly honest, but will argue tirelessly for something they don’t actually believe in, stepping into another’s shoes to argue a truth from another perspective.

And sometimes it even goes beyond that. Occasionally, in the middle of a heated argument, a typical ENTP will actually switch sides-- argue the opposite position than they previously did. (We sometimes  do this when get bored-- but most of the time its because while we are not all that interested in "winning" the argument, what is motivating us is constantly trying to learn the truth, the facts-- for ENTPs that's an obsession!

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
24  Galen Marvin Ross    7 years ago

ISFP
Patient, tolerant, and easy-going, you have a strong core of deep personal values which you use to guide you through life. In your everyday state, you are mild and harmonic and you prefer to meet people in an open and trusting exchange where each of you makes a sincere effort to understand and tolerate the other, seeing each other for what you really are and refraining from imposing foreign and customary expectations and stereotypes upon each other. Deeply passionate about your own projects, and sometimes slow to open up to others, you may at times come across as reserved and delicate to those who do not know you well. On the inside, however, you tend to harbor a deep-running river of values and warmth which you seek to be true to above all. In fact, though your usual outer demeanor usually appears laid-back and flexible, you can become positively perfectionist in the service of those inner ideals that you passionately regard as your own. Since you are more attuned to being true to your own values than to hashing out right and wrong in contentious debates, your natural mode of socialization appears to be one of "live and let live" in which you seek harmony and mutual respect with others so that they may in turn respect you and the values that are pivotal to your inner life. However, the world may not always reciprocate your goodwill in kind, and it is for this reason that you prefer to remain a bit on your guard until you can be sure they will accept you for who you really are.

This is what it says about me.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
24.1  mocowgirl  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @24    7 years ago
your natural mode of socialization appears to be one of "live and let live"

I agree.  

If I ever read a comment where you appeared to be harsh with anyone, I figured that they must have dealt harshly with you in the past or the topic was a real hot button issue for you.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
25  Freefaller    7 years ago

INTJ

Gotta admit I don't much agree with that assessment and thought I would get one of the more laid back, non judgey types

Krishna
Professor Expert
25.1  author  Krishna  replied to  Freefaller @25    7 years ago
Gotta admit I don't much agree with that assessment and thought I would get one of the more laid back, non judgey types

IMO the MBTI is a really useful system. One flaw it does have, however: the tests that tell you what type you are not really that great.

Since there so many comments here, I will be posting an MBTI Pt 2 article soon, with more information and another test that is one of the best IMO. Its also a bit shorter and easier to take.

In the meantime, this quick summary (the main traits of each type)  is often surprisingly accurate.

If the embedded image is a bit fuzzy, click HERE to see one that's much clearer

Which type description do you agree with?

mbti test short boxes.jpeg

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
25.1.1  Freefaller  replied to  Krishna @25.1    7 years ago

Krishna thanks looking forward to your part II.  Prior to the test I would have thought myself more of a ISTJ/ISFJ than any of the others. Oh well no matter I am who I am and happy with that.

Krishna
Professor Expert

Krishna
Professor Expert
25.1.3  author  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @25.1.2    7 years ago

Part II is now up :     "MBTI (Myers-Briggs) Part II: What Personality Type Are You? NT users' results revealed! (& some other stuff)"

Part 3 has now been posted"  MBTI Myers-Briggs Personality Test Part III:  The "Secret" of each personality type

Krishna
Professor Expert
25.1.4  author  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @25.1    5 years ago

In the meantime, this quick summary (the main traits of each type)  is often surprisingly accurate. 

If the embedded image is a bit fuzzy, click  HERE  to see one that's much clearer

Which type description do you agree with?

Here's another listing that does a good job of explaining the main traits of each type:

ISTJ ( ) - Duty Fulfillers 

ESTJ ( ) - Guardians 

SFJ ( ) - Nurturers 

ESFJ ( ) - Caregivers 

ISTP ( ) - Mechanics 

STP ( ) - Doers  www.celebritytypes.com/estp.php

ESFP ( ) - Performers 

ISFP ( ) - Artists www.celebritytypes.com/isfp.php  ( )

ENTJ ( ) - Executives 

INTJ ( ) - Scientists 

ENTP ( ) - Visionaries 

NTP ( ) - Thinkers 

ENFJ ( ) - Givers 

INFJ ( ) - Protectors 

ENFP ( ) - Inspirers 

INFP ( ) - Idealists 

Krishna
Professor Expert
26  author  Krishna    7 years ago

Krishna
Professor Expert
27.1  author  Krishna  replied to  Larry Hampton @27    7 years ago

IDRLabs.com has more descriptive information about the types. Here are links to what they have on INFPs:

1. Famous INFPs
2. Basic Portrait
3. Type Video #1
4. Type Video #2
5. Type Video #3
6. Pierce Presents

Krishna
Professor Expert
27.1.1  author  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @27.1    7 years ago

More useful information: "Best Fit Type"

INFPs -  
From Conversations with Harmonizer Clarifiers

What's it like to be you?

I have a very internal focus. I think I look at myself through other people's eyes, but sometimes I can lose touch with how things work for me. Then I can get introspective, going very deep and staying there, not coming out too quickly or easily. Somehow I find it very difficult to put into words and communicate the things that really matter to me. Most people don't have the foggiest notion about what goes on with me   .   .   .   

(Then there is a blank space...scroll down for the rest of the article).

(LINK)

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
28  Larry Hampton    7 years ago
(deleted)

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
29  dave-2693993    5 years ago

The test tells me I am ISTJ.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
29.1  Raven Wing  replied to  dave-2693993 @29    5 years ago

I am an ISFJ.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
29.1.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Raven Wing @29.1    5 years ago

I haven't studied the breakdown of what each of the letters mean and only read the write up of what an ISTJ is supposed to be.

Interesting.

Many of those questions were a coin toss for me. Putting myself into a life or death situation forced my hand on those tie breakers.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
29.1.2  dave-2693993  replied to  Raven Wing @29.1    5 years ago

This looks interesting, but as I have yet to learn what each letter means, I am not sure of the significance.

mbti-chart?h=ISTJ&p=27,73,64,36,64,36,45,55&c=y&l=en

Krishna
Professor Expert
29.1.3  author  Krishna  replied to  dave-2693993 @29.1.2    5 years ago

This looks interesting, but as I have yet to learn what each letter means, I am not sure of the significance.

There's a lot here.

But perhaps before even getting to know the significance of individual letters, here's a brief description of what your overall "type" is ( according to this system).

Its a quickie overview of each type-- how accurate is the description in the ISTJ box seem as a description of you?

(And to a lessor degree-- at times you might be more like the description in the ISTP box)

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
29.1.4  dave-2693993  replied to  Krishna @29.1.3    5 years ago

Here is the description I got in the ISTP box:

Responsible, punctual, and thorough, you are temperamentally well-suited for long-term planning and execution. You like to familiarize yourself with the facts and think things through, and you tend to shake your head at people who neglect the importance of committing properly to a goal. Once committed, you tend to find it easy to muster the discipline and patience required to stay the course, even in the face of distractions that would make others change directions or abandon the endeavor. You tend to come across as serious and you are generally not one to wear your heart on your sleeve. But as those closest to you have probably seen, you also have a sentimental streak and a wry sense of humor underneath the stern facade. Because you are so diligent in approaching your projects, you may at times be caught off guard by sudden changes which arise in a flash and which are hard to guard against. Steady and purposeful, and endowed with a good deal of common sense, you exhibit an enviable thoroughness and attention to detail that makes you well-suited to taking on long-term commitments and leading them to triumph by way of the sure and steady approach.

That is actually a pretty accurate description.

Looking at this box, folks who know me would not label me as compulsive as is included in the ISTJ description.

HO1YIDZ.jpg

Though, it took only one look and one conversation for what you see in my avatar appear. In fact I was rebuffed during that conversation...which she resumed a few minutes later.

Interestingly enough the description in the ISTP box is a good match too.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
29.1.6  dave-2693993  replied to  dave-2693993 @29.1.4    5 years ago
Here is the description I got in the ISTP box:
Responsible, punctual, and thorough, you are temperamentally well-suited for long-term planning and execution. You like to familiarize yourself with the facts and think things through, and you tend to shake your head at people who neglect the importance of committing properly to a goal. Once committed, you tend to find it easy to muster the discipline and patience required to stay the course, even in the face of distractions that would make others change directions or abandon the endeavor. You tend to come across as serious and you are generally not one to wear your heart on your sleeve. But as those closest to you have probably seen, you also have a sentimental streak and a wry sense of humor underneath the stern facade. Because you are so diligent in approaching your projects, you may at times be caught off guard by sudden changes which arise in a flash and which are hard to guard against. Steady and purposeful, and endowed with a good deal of common sense, you exhibit an enviable thoroughness and attention to detail that makes you well-suited to taking on long-term commitments and leading them to triumph by way of the sure and steady approach.
That is actually a pretty accurate description.

Apologies for the confusion. That is the ISTJ box definition I received.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
30  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

As this article was resurrected I quite enjoyed reading through a lot of the comments again. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
30.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @30    5 years ago

Same here. A very fun experiment. jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
30.2  author  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @30    5 years ago

As this article was resurrected I quite enjoyed reading through a lot of the comments again. 

And this article is only one of a series!

Here are the other posts in this series:

MBTI (Myers-Briggs)  Part II  : What Personality Type Are You? NT users' results revealed!  (& some other stuff)

MBTI Myers-Briggs Personality Test -  Part III:  The "Secret" of each personality type

Part IV  - Are You A Lot Like Celebrities Of Your Type?

Part V:  Starts with the topic of  MBTI types and money,  but the discussion touches on several other topics as well.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
31  Enoch    5 years ago

Truthishly, I don't see my personality as being any type of cartoon character.

Enoch (A.K.A. - Moses Griffin). 

Krishna
Professor Expert
31.1  author  Krishna  replied to  Enoch @31    5 years ago

Truthishly, I don't see my personality as being any type of cartoon character.

Well, in that we are in total agreement!  : ^)

Which (at least for the curious amongst us) , raises an interesting question: given that fact, and given the fact that I never-the-less deliberately chose to include a graphic showing each type as a cartoon character....what on earth could have possibly motivated me to do that?

Enoch
Masters Quiet
31.1.1  Enoch  replied to  Krishna @31.1    5 years ago

Dear Friend Krishna: A great sense of humor, coupled with a knack for making available in a folksy pop culture manner important variations on the theme of human personality.

Well done.

Enoch, Parting the Red Sea of Tomato Soup in my lunch bowl.